• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

scogoth

just installed a hyper 212+ on my nephew's rig.
can't seem to get to that magical 4.0 barrier without a crash on prime95.
havent gone beyond 1.5v yet, as people here has warned me not to pass that.
anyone know of a good bio setting?
here's my specs.

1090t stock with CM 212+
MSI 890gxm-g65
Cooler Master HAF 932 with 3 exhaust fans
*all motherboard drivers up to date.*

thanks in advance.

1090t will only get to 4 if your lucky with the chip you got.

n0n44m

So the Lian-Li PC-Q08 wouldn't get the job done? I've seen people fit a GTX480 in it and it's around about the same size as the GTX680 to my understanding. Just need to be sure before i pull the trigger and complete the order

if the GTX680 fits in the SG05 and you've seen people fit a GTX480 in the PC-Q08 then I'm pretty sure you'll be able to fit it :) especially since the 480 generates a lot more heat than a 680 will (also 680 is half an inch shorter than the 580, and 480=580 IIRC)

personally I don't really see the appeal of mini ITX though, thermal management, space and motherboard choice make the mATX platform a lot more attractive to me. But if you absolutely need the smallest possible rig, then go for it ;)

scogoth

if the GTX680 fits in the SG05 and you've seen people fit a GTX480 in the PC-Q08 then I'm pretty sure you'll be able to fit it :) especially since the 480 generates a lot more heat than a 680 will (680 is half an inch shorter than the 580, and 480=580 IIRC)

personally I don't really see the appeal of mini ITX though, thermal management, space and motherboard choice make the mATX platform a lot more attractive to me. But if you absolutely need the smallest possible rig, then go for it ;)

There are some benefits of miniITX. I built one for my brother with a 2500k and 560ti and ran beautifully with a small oc and was small enough to fit in his bag when he moved to china. He now moving to Singapore and having a small comp is by convent when you move a lot.

having a problem gaf,

it has so far happened in these 2 games:

Fallout New Vegas
Alpha Protocol

When I am gaming the screen with flash to white with a color tint, (so like light yellow, blue, pink, etc). And the audio will freeze with a BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR type noise coming from the speakers. The entire system is locked, it wont crash out to desktop I have to power it down manually. I spoke with evga about an RMA and they ran me through their FAQ of how on 400/500 cards the HD audio device can conflict with the onboard motherboard audio, well I went though this FAQ and the problem remains (actually it seemed to get even worse), prior to this i just left the NVIDIA audio drivers uninstalled, and windows assigned them as generic HD Audio Devices.

Anywho this has happened even after a full reinstall, bios update, and Ive ran prime 95. memtest86+, and OCCT all with no errors/crashing, and my temps never climb to unstable ranges (cpu maxed at like 65, gpu around 75 max), I checked my +12v in the bio and it stays at 12.182 and doesnt fluctuate. So I am at a loss.... I built this rig in november and it has played 30+ hours of Battlefield 3, 10 hours of Saints Row 3, 30 hours of Skyrim, 10+ hours of Swotor, and probably 100+ hours of TF2, with no issues as above, but when you google computer freezes buzzing sound from speakers you get all sorts of hits from all sorts of games/rigs.

Smokey

yes you do ;)

as for the 3.0 thing ... if the Rampage 3.0 doesn't get certified Asus is gonna have some explaining to do lol ... so I'm pretty sure it'll happen although I haven't really looked into why it hasnt been certified yet (the guy with the quad 680 and triple screen 2.0 / 3.0 testing had to use registry hacks to enable 3.0 right?)

but more importantly ... 1080p. And a 3960x. still does not compute from my point of view. My 2600K @ 4.8 + a heavily overclocked GTX480 has no issue with 90% of the current games at 1080p maxed. A GTX 680 would totally massacre everything, and TWO 680s would probably still give you 60 fps in low power mode ;)

Why go with the 3960X ? AFAIK the only game that benefits from more cores than the 1155 socket has to offer is Civilization V (against AI players). The other benefits of the 2011 platform (quad memory, more PCI-e lanes) only benefit gaming when you're going for TRI/Quad SLI setups and multimonitor setups which need to communicate a lot more megapixels of frames per seconds over the PCI-e lanes than you would need to do for your 1080p TV.

So in your case, I predict you will see hardly any gain from using the 3960X over a 2600K. It gets worse though. The 3960X (and any 2011 CPU for that matter) run quite a bit hotter due to their higher TDP, which means that even with a good motherboard it will take quite some effort (and cooling) to run them at the same clockspeed a 2600K can with the same cooling and a good (but cheaper) motherboard. Since most games don't care about the #cores / threads over 4, but still respond somewhat to clockspeed, I'd bet you can get higher framerates on the 1155 socket.

And now that there will be Ivy Bridge, with even more performance per mhz, AND an even lower TDP (allowing for even higher overclocking?), it seems kind of a no-brainer to me...

Lower energy usage, higher gaming performance, cheaper CPU and motherboard (less memory sticks) ...

socket 2011 is a great platform for productivity workstations or extreme gaming, but comfy couch 1080p 60hz gaming is neither of those IMHO ;)

if i just bought the 3960x and read your post...id hang my head. rain on dat parade!

ah, i see. is there some kind of part number to know which can reach 4.0?

Basketball Reasons

mkenyon

Banned
if the GTX680 fits in the SG05 and you've seen people fit a GTX480 in the PC-Q08 then I'm pretty sure you'll be able to fit it :) especially since the 480 generates a lot more heat than a 680 will (also 680 is half an inch shorter than the 580, and 480=580 IIRC)

171951q1z75xx9q5w3z93m.jpg

Yep, that is full power management on the top for complete ability to overclock. Put it in the:

3.jpg

And you have room for 2x240mm thick radiators for an internal loop to cool GPU and CPU. Pretty awesome concept if you ask me.

Chris R

I want something I can sit next to (or hell, on) my entertainment stand and run while my TV is on without having to crank the volume up to cover the fan noise. My current rig is really loud, and I just don't need the extra PCI-e slots a full ATX board gives me. That is why I'm really attracted to the Gene V, full featured board, just smaller.

mkenyon

Banned
I want something I can sit next to (or hell, on) my entertainment stand and run while my TV is on without having to crank the volume up to cover the fan noise. My current rig is really loud, and I just don't need the extra PCI-e slots a full ATX board gives me. That is why I'm really attracted to the Gene V, full featured board, just smaller.
Smaller =/= quieter. Quiet is all about fan selection, case materials to mitigate noise, and cooler for you video card/CPU. My Gene-Z rig is a lot louder than my 600T build.

n0n44m

There are some benefits of miniITX. I built one for my brother with a 2500k and 560ti and ran beautifully with a small oc and was small enough to fit in his bag when he moved to china. He now moving to Singapore and having a small comp is by convent when you move a lot.

did he take it with him in the plane? wonder what the TSA tought of that :D

if i just bought the 3960x and read your post...id hang my head. rain on dat parade!

hehe ... or you'd be furiously hoping for next-gen consoles to come out ASAP so more games might take advantage of 4+ threads ;)

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/6429/171951q1z75xx9q5w3z93m.jpg[IMG]

Yep, that is full power management on the top for complete ability to overclock. Put it in the:

[IMG]http://www.losias.net/gallery/data/501/medium/3.jpg[IMG]

And you have room for 2x240mm thick radiators for an internal loop to cool GPU and CPU. Pretty awesome concept if you ask me.[/QUOTE]

hehe that's pretty cool ... going to be an actual production board? socket looks a bit cramped for most CPU blocks though ...

[quote="rhfb, post: 36815499"]I want something I can sit next to (or hell, on) my entertainment stand and run while my TV is on without having to crank the volume up to cover the fan noise. My current rig is really loud, and I just don't need the extra PCI-e slots a full ATX board gives me. That is why I'm really attracted to the Gene V, full featured board, just smaller.[/QUOTE]

Gene V = mATX right ;) and I prefer mATX because it should still allow for some decent thermal management, with low speed fans

take a look at the TJ08-E with it's 180mm front fan, should provide loads of air even at low rpm :)

Chris R

Smaller =/= quieter. Quiet is all about fan selection, case materials to mitigate noise, and cooler for you video card/CPU. My Gene-Z rig is a lot louder than my 600T build.

I know that smaller doesn't mean quieter, but I don't like having a full tower just sitting out there. My current rig is huge (old Antec steel case from the early 2000s, one that can fit server boards) and noisy, so even if I don't end up with a "made for m-ATX only" case I'll be going smaller for sure. And the new cases that have been coming out wouldn't need to do much to be quieter than my current setup.

Chris R

Check out the Fractal Design R3 Mini, Lian Li V354, Silverstone TJ-08, and Corsair 550D.

Yea I'm still researching the possible cases for my new build. Basically I only have two parts picked out and even those I'm not sold 100% on yet.

3770k or 3570k
m-ATX board (Gene V most likely)
16GB Ram
SSD
New PSU/GPU/BluRay drive/Case/ect

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
When will the GTX680 even be readily available? Seems everyone is sold out/over charging. And any word on the price-point for the Ivy-Bridge? Still undecided if I should wait for that or get the i7-2600k
680, no one knows.
Price point should be the same or $10 more for Ivy.

If you can wait, wait. You might need to buy a new board that supports it out of the box though.
Ok, I think I've got my build down and should hopefully purchase everything within a week

GPU: Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2550K 3.40 GHz
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 912
HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM
RAM: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
700 Watt power supply

This should be a pretty good setup (right?).

My one concern is getting the PC hooked up to my 5.1 receiver. The motherboard's audio is 7.1 and my receiver only has an Optical In. Will I be able to use a Optical SPDIF cable to run from the mobo to the receiver and receive 5.1 sound?
Looks good to me. I have no idea on audio.
Is it a bad time to build a new desktop?
Fill out the sheet in the OP. Depends on what you want and your budget.
Decent build?

Silverstone SG05BB-450 Sugo Mini-ITX Cube Case All Black, with 450W SFX PSU, 80 Plus bronze, Black

ASRock H61M-ITX Intel H61 (Socket 1155) Motherboard

2nd Generation Intel® Core? i3 2120 3.3GHz Socket LGA1155 - Retail.

8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Jet Black LP, PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.5V

64GB Crucial RealSSD M4, 2.5" SSD, SATA III - 6Gb/s, MLC-Flash, Read 500MB/s, Write 95MB/s *New Version*

Samsung SN-208BB/BEBE Notebook Slim 8xDVD±R, 6xDVD+DL, 6xDVD-DL, DVD+RW x8, -RW x6, x5 RAM SATA, Black

AKASA AK-CB050 SATA cable for slimline opticals (SATA+Molex to Mini SATA Power & Data)

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP1, Operating System, Single, - OEM

-A GPU will be chosen later, probably HD 6850/70 but I will use integrated graphics for a couple of weeks.
-I have a mechanical hard drive I can reuse too so the SSD will be just for the OS and some programs.
-Money is tight but I'm really unsure about the i3, maybe I should spend another £40 on the i5-2320? However the board is Ivy Bridge compatible so I could buy an Ivy Bridge quad in a year or so if the i3 will be fine for now.

I will mainly be playing RPGs, MMOs and strategy games. (+Max Payne 3 :D)
The resolution is 1680X1050.
If you have an HDD already I'd drop the SSD and step up to a Z68 board +2500K / Ivy version (If you ever think you will OC). SSDs are nice, but having a fast quad will be nicer for all of those genres. imo

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
If you have an HDD already I'd drop the SSD and step up to a Z68 board +2500K / Ivy version (If you ever think you will OC). SSDs are nice, but having a fast quad will be nicer for all of those genres. imo

It's a tiny ITX case so I don't think high overclocks are a good idea due to limited cooling capability. The hard drive I have is an old SATA1 250GB laptop drive, so it's not ideal but will do for now. The 2500k would cost £30 more than the 2320, so I think I will just go with the 2320 so I have 4 cores for future proofing.

quickwhips

So I just got back from pax and my wife won Z77A-GD65 motherboard from MSI and I won 8 gbs of kingston

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130643&Tpk=Z77A-GD65
motherboard in question

Memory I won
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104292

So the memory should work ok with the motherboard correct?

What should I look for for a decent processor and video card and power supply? After that I think I should be good. Thanks in advance. Sorry if I bumped the wrong place for this.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
It's a tiny ITX case so I don't think high overclocks are a good idea due to limited cooling capability. The hard drive I have is an old SATA1 250GB laptop drive, so it's not ideal but will do for now. The 2500k would cost £30 more than the 2320, so I think I will just go with that so I have 4 cores.
That's fine then.

Can you get a 2400 for the same price, or are there any promotions on 2500's? Might be a slight price drop closer we get to Ivy.
So I just got back from pax and my wife won Z77A-GD65 motherboard from MSI and I won 8 gbs of kingston

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130643&Tpk=Z77A-GD65
motherboard in question

Memory I won
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104292

So the memory should work ok with the motherboard correct?

What should I look for for a decent processor and video card and power supply? After that I think I should be good. Thanks in advance. Sorry if I bumped the wrong place for this.
Should have posted in the PAX thread, would have met up with you and told you there.

Just fill out the sheet in the OP. 'Decent' doesn't mean anything.

Geezer

That's fine then.

Can you get a 2400 for the same price, or are there any promotions on 2500's? Might be a slight price drop closer we get to Ivy.
The 2400 is £14 more, it doesn't seem worth it for 0.1 GHz extra. I'd like to build this weekend so I'm not so concerned about Ivy Bridge. I have an external DVD drive that I've been using with my laptop so I'm dropping the internal DVD drive too, less clutter inside the case. I think I'll try and upgrade the motherboard too so I can get SATAIII.

Have a quick question regarding the Radeon 7850:

Does it matter which manufacturer's model I get? They're almost all the same price (~$260). Is there any added benefit with going with ASUS with two fans or can I just grab the PowerColor model with one fan. I only ask because the discrepancy in size between all models. An 8" model will perform the same as a 10" model correct?

PCGAF, I need help picking out a new graphics card. I'm looking to spend between $200-400 for a new radeon. I've stuck with ASUS brand ATI cards for a long time now and haven't ever had any major issues but I'm open to change/new information.

i7 950 @3.07 (not overclocked)
sabertooth x58 mobo
12 gigs of ddr3 (probably gonna grab 12 more to max out the board)
currently I have a radeon hd 3800 series

The board only supports up to pci-e 2.0, I know the new ones are backwards compatible but not sure of the ramifications.

Really only looking to play emulators (PCSX2/DeMul) at better speed (some games get choppy) some PC gaming but I don't need to be bleeding edge.

I also need an hdmi port so I can continue to use my tv as a monitor.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The 2400 is £14 more, it doesn't seem worth it for 0.1 GHz extra. I'd like to build this weekend so I'm not so concerned about Ivy Bridge. I have an external DVD drive that I've been using with my laptop so I'm dropping the internal DVD drive too, less clutter inside the case. I think I'll try and upgrade the motherboard too so I can get SATAIII.
Here in the US the 2400 is the same price and the 2500 is $5 more after a promotion which is why I was asking. If building now, just slap it together with a Z68 board for not much more.
Have a quick question regarding the Radeon 7850:

Does it matter which manufacturer's model I get? They're almost all the same price (~$260). Is there any added benefit with going with ASUS with two fans or can I just grab the PowerColor model with one fan. I only ask because the discrepancy in size between all models. An 8" model will perform the same as a 10" model correct?
Doesn't really matter. I'd wait until end of month if possible, I have to imagine the 660 and 670 will be much better than the 78xx cards.
PCGAF, I need help picking out a new graphics card. I'm looking to spend between $200-400 for a new radeon. I've stuck with ASUS brand ATI cards for a long time now and haven't ever had any major issues but I'm open to change/new information.

i7 950 @3.07 (not overclocked)
sabertooth x58 mobo
12 gigs of ddr3 (probably gonna grab 12 more to max out the board)
currently I have a radeon hd 3800 series

The board only supports up to pci-e 2.0, I know the new ones are backwards compatible but not sure of the ramifications.

Really only looking to play emulators (PCSX2/DeMul) at better speed (some games get choppy) some PC gaming but I don't need to be bleeding edge.

I also need an hdmi port so I can continue to use my tv as a monitor.
PCI-E 2.0 is fine. Emulators are based on CPU speed, get that sucker to 3.8Ghz at least, if not 4Ghz. Any mid range GPU will free up emu's.
More RAM is not going to make anything faster unless you actually use more than 12GB of RAM.
GPU, same as above quote. If you can wait and go nVidia, wait.
Otherwise 7950.

scogoth

Water cooled ram heatsink recommendations? Mushkin copperheads look awesome but are no longer sold. Bitspowers are restricted to corsair dominator ram and koolance's are bulky with lots of tubing.

Yes I know they do almost nothing performance wise but it's for the epeen and the look.

Hawk269

Guys----I need some serious help....

I ordered my parts for my super rig, i73960x, Asus Rampage IV Mobo, Memory etc....but now I am seriously questioning the purchase. I guess I need some good advice here. My main reason for questioning all this is the whole PCI 3.0 and how IVY Bridge will support it Natively. I basically want to be a little future proof and I am thinking I might be better served with whatever the top of the line Ivy CPU at launch and the ASUS Sabertooth Mobo to go along with it.

Since I only game at 1080p, I am not sure if I will ever go 3way SLI..since the Saber only support 2xSLI. The nice thing about the Rampage IV was that it did support up to 4-way SLI...but i has not been confirmed if Nvidia will certify the Rampage for 3.0, since I know the 3960x and the Rampage are 3.0..but need to be certified first.

I am so f'n confused. There is no issue with money, so I am not flipping like fish due to the expense of the 3960x and Mobo...I am just more concerned about future proof, pce3.0 and the fact that Ivy's top line at release CPU might give me more for gaming that the 3960x would...or am I wrong?

Anyways, I appreciate any opinions and I am not in a real hurry..although my Rampage just arrived and the CPU will be here tomorrow, I can easily return them to Amazon for a full refund.

Let me know your thoughts guys...as always, really appreciate any and all input.

Well to add another wrench to my quest here is this....

I have been reading more stuff in regards to both the 3960x and the 3930x. At half the price, of the 3960x I would only be loosing 100mhz (at stock) and 3mb of cache...it seems like from what I am reading that perhaps the 3930x would be a better fit and save around $450.00. Again, with my bonus, money is not the real issue, but I also dont like throwing money away...if that were the case, I would of bought some of you a 680!!! lol.

So, any more opinions...I think I am still going to build the X79 rig, just need to decide what to do with the CPU. I actually ordered the 3930x since I can return it or the 3960x without any fee's or anything. All the parts for the original plan came in today and are sitting on my dining room table ready to be torn into..and the 3930x will be here tomorrow...so I just need to decide if I am going to build today with the 3960x or wait till tomorrow and build with the 3930x...so any advice would be appreciated. Good or bad!

BTW...here is the complete spec list for the new rig as it stands right now:

Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E 3.3GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 2011
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Motherboard
EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 X2 in SLI ***
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)
1ST PC CORP. FC-FC6-B Lamptron Fan Controller, Black Color
CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200 (CMPSU-1200AX) 1200W ***
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner ***
Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD x2 ***
Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD ***
Antec P280 Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe M12-P 120mmx25mm Ultra Silent PWM Fan x3
*** - Denotes parts coming from existing rig.

Hawk269

A few more questions on the new build:

1.) My new Case has an opening under where the PSU sits. It also has a filter to trap dust. In my old rig I had the fan facing up..which I assume was sucking air from within the case and out the back of the PSU. Would it be better now that I have a case that has a fan cage opening on the bottom to put the PSU with the fan facing the bottom, which would suck air from outside of the case and out the back of the PSU?

2) For any owners of the Corsair H100 Water Cooler, does it already come with thermal paste applied? If so, is it good paste or should I clean it off and apply some MX-4 paste?

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

Well to add another wrench to my quest here is this....

I have been reading more stuff in regards to both the 3960x and the 3930x. At half the price, of the 3960x I would only be loosing 100mhz (at stock) and 3mb of cache...it seems like from what I am reading that perhaps the 3930x would be a better fit and save around $450.00. Again, with my bonus, money is not the real issue, but I also dont like throwing money away...if that were the case, I would of bought some of you a 680!!! lol.

So, any more opinions...I think I am still going to build the X79 rig, just need to decide what to do with the CPU. I actually ordered the 3930x since I can return it or the 3960x without any fee's or anything. All the parts for the original plan came in today and are sitting on my dining room table ready to be torn into..and the 3930x will be here tomorrow...so I just need to decide if I am going to build today with the 3960x or wait till tomorrow and build with the 3930x...so any advice would be appreciated. Good or bad!

BTW...here is the complete spec list for the new rig as it stands right now:

Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E 3.3GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 2011
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Motherboard
EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 X2 in SLI ***
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)
1ST PC CORP. FC-FC6-B Lamptron Fan Controller, Black Color
CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200 (CMPSU-1200AX) 1200W ***
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner ***
Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD x2 ***
Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD ***
Antec P280 Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe M12-P 120mmx25mm Ultra Silent PWM Fan x3
*** - Denotes parts coming from existing rig.

Get the 3930. The 3960 really is throwing away $450 for $50 worth of performance.

You know what they say about fools and their money... don't be a fool.

1-D_FTW

1.) My new Case has an opening under where the PSU sits. It also has a filter to trap dust. In my old rig I had the fan facing up..which I assume was sucking air from within the case and out the back of the PSU. Would it be better now that I have a case that has a fan cage opening on the bottom to put the PSU with the fan facing the bottom, which would suck air from outside of the case and out the back of the PSU?

2) For any owners of the Corsair H100 Water Cooler, does it already come with thermal paste applied? If so, is it good paste or should I clean it off and apply some MX-4 paste?

1.) Yes. Mount it upside down so it's sucking clean air from underneath.

Doesn't really matter. I'd wait until end of month if possible, I have to imagine the 660 and 670 will be much better than the 78xx cards.

That's good to hear, I'll sit on my money then. My main focus is to have everything done before D3 even though my current PC runs the game fine.

I do hope they outperform at the $250 price range.

Sarcasm

Fill out the sheet in the OP. Depends on what you want and your budget.

I ask cause it sounds like new intel cpus coming out. I already have my choices made but if there is new stuff coming out in that regards I would rather wait and get it even if 10% better.

Anustart

Quick question, has anyone gone from a gtx 560 ti to a 560 ti 448? I recently sold my pc due to some financial problems, but I'm rebuilding come this summer and looking at the 448 and wondering if theres a big enough performance gain to justify the extra cost.

Smokey

3930k use $400 difference for 120hz monitor thnx

i will probably bug you about this until you make it happen so be ready

Geezer

I've ordered all my parts for delivery on the 12th:

Novatech
ASRock H61M-ITX Intel H61 (Socket 1155) Motherboard
2nd Generation Intel Core i5 2320 3.00GHz Socket LGA1155 - Retail.

Scan
Silverstone SG05BB-450 Sugo Mini-IT
Adam Hall 16mm Wide x 160mm Long Ve
Samsung SN-208BB/BEBE Notebook Slim
AKASA AK-CB050 SATA cable for sliml
64GB Crucial RealSSD M4, 2.5" SSD
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Overclockers UK
Asus HD 6850 DirectCU V2 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card 1
Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (KHX1600C9D3X2K2/8GX) 1
OcUK Professional 2.5" to 3.5" SSD Adaptor Plate - Black 1

The total cost was £585, which I'm happy with. I'm looking forward to building it at the weekend. I don't think I've built a PC since 2003/4, it feels good to be back :D

Future upgrades:
-Beefy 3.5" storage drive, for now I'll be using an old 250GB laptop drive I have lying around
-Better CPU cooler
-Perhaps replacing the chassis intake fan with a nicer one
-28nm mid-range graphics card when the 6850 runs out of steam.

mkenyon

Banned
3930k use $400 difference for 120hz monitor thnx

i will probably bug you about this until you make it happen so be ready
My man. Most overlooked/wonderous thing in PC Gaming right now.

1) Yeah, facing down sucking air from the bottom of the case.
2) It's good, pre-applied. Save the MX-4 for future tinkering.

Also, the Rampage IV is seriously overkill for anyone not on water or LN2. Damn pretty though.

How do I know if i have dual channel ram or not? I know my 8 year old PC was dual channel but for this setup I can't find it anywhere in the bios (Z68 board). I just bought Gskill sniper ram 2x4 gig sticks.

Hawk269

My man. Most overlooked/wonderous thing in PC Gaming right now.

1) Yeah, facing down sucking air from the bottom of the case.
2) It's good, pre-applied. Save the MX-4 for future tinkering.

Also, the Rampage IV is seriously overkill for anyone not on water or LN2. Damn pretty though.

Thanks man. Yeah, the Rampage is really a gorgeous looking board. I have not opened the box since it came in yesterday, but been starring at it, reading the box and yeah, just looks really great.

I hear ya and Smokey on the 120hz monitor and I might give it a shot just to see what all the fuss is about, but not sure if it is something I will stick with due to it's size. But am curious and also reason I went with the Rampage because if I want to run 3 SLI I can easily and they are all 16x lanes...so yeah I am ready for anything in the future.

mkenyon

Banned
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0007627 600238945 600176036&IsNodeId=1&name=3

All of those boards are PCI 3.0x16 x 3
How do I know if i have dual channel ram or not? I know my 8 year old PC was dual channel but for this setup I can't find it anywhere in the bios (Z68 board). I just bought Gskill sniper ram 2x4 gig sticks.
Dual channel is mobo spec, not ram spec. Two of the same sticks work in dual channel, three of the same sticks in triple, four in quad, etc.

i need a new graphics card but with a new graphics card i need a new power supply.

i am going with

a 560 ti

with a 720W power supply (just making sure future card and other stuff be able to run)

is the 560 ti good? or is there a better cheaper one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130604

Dual channel is mobo spec, not ram spec. Two of the same sticks work in dual channel, three of the same sticks in triple, four in quad, etc.

Okay but do I have to enable it? I just don't see it mentioned anywhere in the bios or when I start the PC like my old mobo did.

sk3tch

hook them up, make a video, impressions etc

i need all of it..ALL OF IT

They are hooked up. :) Impressions will be forthcoming. Playing BF3 in 4800x900. They are awesome so far. Quality is insane...everything you'd want in a gaming monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom