• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarosh

It does a few different things

1. Saves power by idling your discrete GPU and using your integrated GPU while in windows
2. Hyperformance basically is a nifty way to prevent redundant rendering by using the integrated GPU as a frame buffer and predictive frame calculator to tell the discrete GPU when to discard redundant frames. Only useful is your fps is greater than your refresh rate
3. New type of vsync which does not limit the the rendering to refresh rate but uses the Integrated GPU as a frame buffer to create vsync but keeps responsiveness up elminating input lag. Only useful if your fps is greater than your refresh rate

It's using GPU virtualization to do some cool new things but really only beneficial to people with really high performance machines. Biggest drawback is it does not work with SLI/cfx so until they add that its usefullness is limited.

Cool! Thanks for all the info.

jarosh

I was wondering something else, maybe you guys have some good advice here...

I've been considering upgrading my gpu, but I'm not sure if I should jump for any of the ones that are generally being recommended in this thread or in the op. Here's the thing: I have a fairly old GTX-260 with 896 MB. But it still holds up more or less, since I only play at 720p. However, I'd like to be able to crank the AA on all the current releases and still hold a steady 60 fps. I don't think this requires a top-of-the-line card, considering my resolution.

It seems to be somewhat difficult to find good deals for midrange cards though. Right now you apparently get more bang for your buck if you either go for the big guns or an entry-level card. Or am I mistaken? Maybe this is just a situation specific to my country's market (Switzerland).

Any recommendations?

scogoth

I was wondering something else, maybe you guys have some good advice here...

I've been considering upgrading my gpu, but I'm not sure if I should jump for any of the ones that are generally being recommended in this thread or in the op. Here's the thing: I have a fairly old GTX-260 with 896 MB. But it still holds up more or less, since I only play at 720p. However, I'd like to be able to crank the AA on all the current releases and still hold a steady 60 fps. I don't think this requires a top-of-the-line card, considering my resolution.

It seems to be somewhat difficult to find good deals for midrange cards though. Right now you apparently get more bang for your buck if you either go for the big guns or an entry-level card. Or am I mistaken? Maybe this is just a situation specific to my country's market (Switzerland).

Any recommendations?

Europe prices are always an adventure, they vary depending on country, retailer, time of year and the phase of the moon. Right now is an akward time for GPUs because the new 28nm GPUs are out for AMD and are coming our for NVIDIA but the yield of the chips (how many actually work after being made) is low for 28nm so the prices remain high and cards in short supply. I would hold onto your card until the late summer when prices stabilize and the new mid range cards are out.

Build Log....

That was a sneaky edit. BOO xbox! Your PC was right there!

Hawk269

Europe prices are always an adventure, they vary depending on country, retailer, time of year and the phase of the moon. Right now is an akward time for GPUs because the new 28nm GPUs are out for AMD and are coming our for NVIDIA but the yield of the chips (how many actually work after being made) is low for 28nm so the prices remain high and cards in short supply. I would hold onto your card until the late summer when prices stabilize and the new mid range cards are out.

That was a sneaky edit. BOO xbox! Your PC was right there!

lmao...pics are coming..was testing posting pics etc. Give me a few minutes and will post the build log pics/comments etc...

jarosh

SSDs: I would never go back personally. I had to briefly switch out mine with a mechanical HDD for testing. Night and fucking day. Same OS install (just mirrored my SSD), but it took ages to boot up. Not only that, with an SSD the system is really, truly ready as soon as you see the Windows desktop. On the other hand, it would always take like 3 additional minutes until the mechanical drive stopped spinning and working, and during that time trying to start up anything (browser, Steam etc.) would just take forever.

Awww, that's what they always say though: Wait a few months! Until the new cards come out! Until new cards are announced! Until the top-of-the-line cards drop! Until the competition is out! Until the prices stabilize! :p

If you had to recommend one now, what would it be?

Hawk269

**Part 1**

Hey All..

Well the new rig that I titled "Project: The Joshua Tree" because I am a U2 fan and although the rig has no fancy stuff like case modification or anything related to U2's The Joshua Tree, I figured I had to give it a name, so I decided to go with that...lol.

This is my build log...first ever build log. I did alot of research and while I know that for gaming purposes I wont gain alot by moving from a 2600k to one of the Extreme CPU's, I wanted to get top end parts and for future proofing my system. Also wanted the ability to go 3 Way SLI if I wanted too in the future and needed a mobo that supported that and that offered 3.0 PCI Express ports.

First off the Specs to the new System:

Intel Core i7-3960X -or- Intel Core i7-3930x (Have both have not decided which one to go with)
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Motherboard
EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 X2 in SLI ***
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)
1ST PC CORP. FC-FC6-B Lamptron Fan Controller, Black Color
CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200 (CMPSU-1200AX) 1200W ***
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner ***
Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD x2 ***
Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD ***
Antec P280 Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe M12-P 120mmx25mm Ultra Silent PWM Fan x3
Sony XBR-55HX929 3D 1080p TV ***
Windows 64 Bit Ultimate Edition ***
Corsair Sleeved Blue Power Cables
Microsoft Wireless Mouse/Keyboard 5000 ***
Razer Star Wars TOR Edition Gaming Mouse ***
Xbox 360 Wireless Controller ***
*** - Denotes parts coming from existing rig.

This is my current gaming setup. TV is noted above. Gaming Rig is bewtween the left speaker and Sub-Woofer. Gaming on this set up is AMAZING!!!!
001.jpg

Here are 3 Images of the current Rig...Amazing rig in-itself and frankly I am a little insane already upgrading..but it is my hobby and I work hard for what I earn and decided what the hell...lol
008.jpg

007.jpg

013.jpg

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Kickass rig Hawk, but ( as you've probably been told a zillion times already ) forking out that much money for a cpu in the name of future-proofing is rather silly. Just look at the same guys who bought 990x's, 1k(?) cpus that get beat by your run of the mill 2500k today.

Just food for thought. My biggest regret with my current build was going with a 2600k over 2500k. Can't imagine going 3960x for gaming.

give me your job

Hawk269

Kickass rig Hawk, but ( as you've probably been told a zillion times already ) forking out that much money for a cpu in the name of future-proofing is rather silly. Just look at the same guys who bought 990x's, 1k(?) cpus that get beat by your run of the mill 2500k today.

Just food for thought. My biggest regret with my current build was going with a 2600k over 2500k. Can't imagine going 3960x for gaming.

give me your job

lol..well you and a few others have given me alot to think about...and although I eliminated all my dept (feels good to be 100% debt free)...I have the funds to do whatever, but foolishly throwing $1100 on the GPU was a little crazy..and for my purposes and from feedback from many here and over at EVGA I decided that I will go with the 3930xCPU instead. Still a bit pricey, but that $500 goes back into my pocket for something else...hmmm 3rd 680??? lol.

Thanks for the input though...I really appreciate it Corky and to all the others..even our brothers that are currently banned...Denniss/Boob etc.

Hawk269

**Part 2**

Below is a pic of all the new parts. Missing from photo is the 3930x CPU and the Corsair Blue Power Cables (Both due sometime today..anytime now).
014.jpg

Close up shot 1:
016.jpg

Close up shot 2:
015.jpg

Close up shot 3:
017.jpg

jarosh

I've been thinking, shouldn't there be a silent/passive, sub ~$100 card out at this point that still outperforms my old GTX260 at 720p? That'd be neat to hold me over. Always looking for a quieter card.

Dear lord. What was I gonna say again.........oh right,

My Ram timing is set to 11-11-11-20something but the specs are 9-9-9-24. Should i change the bios to those settings or just leave them as is. Someone else setup my pc so I just happened to stumble upon that this morning.

clav

Alert: Crucial M4 SSD users. New firmware released today!

http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx

Release Date: 04/11/2012

Firmware for the m4 SSD is being updated from version 0309 to 000F. The m4 is updatable to this new firmware starting from versions 0001, 0002, 0009, or 0309 in a single step. If updating from an early version directly to 000F, all interim improvements will also be included (please see Release Notes for version 0002, 0009 and 0309 for details).

Changes between version 0309 and 000F include the following changes:
  • Improved compatibility with certain SAS expanders and peripheral RAID cards.
  • Improved throughput stability under extremely heavy workloads.
  • Improved data protection in the event of unexpected, asynchronous power loss.

This firmware update is recommended for all drives currently in the field if the end user is experiencing any of these symptoms.

Knew the M4 wasn't perfect, but I'm glad Crucial continues to release updates.

n0n44m

Christ, what an ordeal. All my parts came yesterday and I assembled everything and it's now up and running.

It's in a Fractal Arc, so I've had to do a bunch of Modding to get the big boy XSPC RX360 to fit and the pipes to run comfortably.. However I like having such a potent system in a smaller case than normal.

It's an i7-930 @ 3.8GHz (slowly working it up to 4.0) and the 7970 is maxed out in Catalyst. The furmark passed at only 43 degrees and intelburn test and Prime95 pushing the CPU to nearly 60. I'm very, very happy.

saw the pictures earlier ... nice nice nice

it took me two weeks to install and leak test everything, a day isn't bad I guess ;)

that's just dirty :D as soon as I get a job I'm gonna get two more as well lol. How did you set them up? I guess having them straight next to each other would screw up colors due to the angles right? I've been playing a ton of BF3 and Tribes since I got mine ... feels so awesome ^^

This is what I got so far. Suggestions welcome especially on the motherboard and case.

ROG > Sabertooth IMHO, the first are always the best clocking boards out there whereas the latter are just the regular boards with some fancy plastic cover and a lot of marketing words on the box :p and I really dislike small fans... EVGA makes pretty solid boards as well, but I feel Asus has the best (performing) bios out there.

I like towers over cubes ;) with the Monsoon res you should still have plenty of space in the Switch 810, but the Caselabs is very comfortable to build in I guess

I've been thinking, shouldn't there be a silent/passive, sub ~$100 card out at this point that still outperforms my old GTX260 at 720p? That'd be neat to hold me over. Always looking for a quieter card.

not likely ... definitely not passive

this is a good site to compare cards, unfortunately your GTX260 is only found in the 2011 database but it could still be useful

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU11/217

here in .nl the 7850 seem pretty affordable, they outperform the similarly priced 560ti ... but if you want Nvidia you better patiently wait for mid-range Kepler cards :p

Dear lord. What was I gonna say again.........oh right,

My Ram timing is set to 11-11-11-20something but the specs are 9-9-9-24. Should i change the bios to those settings or just leave them as is. Someone else setup my pc so I just happened to stumble upon that this morning.

yes you can set those according to specs in the bios. Just make sure they run at the correct voltage, then go to timings and enter them manually. In the CPU-Z memory tab you can see the current timings, and in the SPD tab you can the factory specified timings (look for XMP profile). Once those two are the same you're done. (don't expect a noticeable difference though :p)

Hawk269

Need some help guys...

My fan contoller for my new rig and almost every fan controller I have looked at has 3pins for the power that the fan plugs into. My Noiseblocker fans power cord has 4 pin opening, meaning it needs a 4pin slot. Can I still plug it into my fan controller which has 3pins for each fan?

I looked at 20 different fan controllers on newegg just now and every single one of them only has 3pins. Am I screwed? I am about 1/2 way building my rig and now I am stuck so any quick help would be appreciated.

n0n44m

Need some help guys...

My fan contoller for my new rig and almost every fan controller I have looked at has 3pins for the power that the fan plugs into. My Noiseblocker fans power cord has 4 pin opening, meaning it needs a 4pin slot. Can I still plug it into my fan controller which has 3pins for each fan?

I looked at 20 different fan controllers on newegg just now and every single one of them only has 3pins. Am I screwed? I am about 1/2 way building my rig and now I am stuck so any quick help would be appreciated.

yes like I posted somewhere on the previous page if you plug the 4 pin fans into a 3 pin output they'll just act like regular fans, so that should not be an issue

they look like this right ? http://www.scythe-eu.com/uploads/tx_cfamooflow/Kama-PWM-120-4PIN_01.jpg like a regular 3 pin connector with an extra fourth pin to the side

just plug them in so that the 4th pin is hanging of the side

Hawk269

yes like I posted somewhere on the previous page if you plug the 4 pin fans into a 3 pin output they'll just act like regular fans, so that should not be an issue

they look like this right ? http://www.scythe-eu.com/uploads/tx_cfamooflow/Kama-PWM-120-4PIN_01.jpg like a regular 3 pin connector with an extra fourth pin to the side

just plug them in so that the 4th pin is hanging of the side

Yes it looks exactly like that. So I still will be able to adjust speed as needed with the fan controller correct?

Thanks in advance for your help man. Building is nerve racking when I run into stuff like this. Appreciate it man.

n0n44m

Yes it looks exactly like that. So I still will be able to adjust speed as needed with the fan controller correct?

Thanks in advance for your help man. Building is nerve racking when I run into stuff like this. Appreciate it man.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/296683-10-connecting-controller#t2392285

" A 4-pin fan NORMALLY receives +12 VDC on Pin #2 at all times, PLUS the special PWM signal on Pin #4 (normally a Blue wire). Within the fan there is a tiny controller chip that uses the PWM signal to control actual flow of current from the +12 VDC supply to the motor. The design is backwards compatible with 3-pin fan designs in two ways. First, the connector will fit on, connecting the first 3 pins to exactly the same signals in each case. Secondly, if the 4-pin fan receives NO PWM signal on Pin #4, it passes all the power available from Pin #2 to the motor. Now the power coming out of a 3-pin pinout on a mobo has the voltage on Pin #2 vary according to desired fan speed - it is NOT always +12 VDC. So a 4-pin fan plugged into a 3-pin mobo pinout WILL function and will change its speed. "

so yes :p

AkIRA_22

Looks awesome! Nice work. Your first time doing water or have you done it before? Looks like a pro job.

Thanks mate, good to hear it impresses. First time doing liquid, but I'm anal retentive when it comes to this sort of thing. Took fucking ages to get it all in and to standard.

AkIRA_22

Need some opinions on RAM. The product pages don't mention that it was designed for Z77 boards, will it still be good for them?

Corsair Blue

Corsair Black

Also, are they the same just different color?

A company like Corsair isn't about to isolate itself from the market by making RAM that sin't compatible. If it's DDR3, it'll be fine. The only reason kits are sold in "Quad", "triple", "Double" packs is because it's easy to disambiguate.

jarosh

So, replacing my Asus P8P67-M PRO (B3) with an Asus P8Z77-M PRO, do you guys think I can keep my OS install? Bad idea? Everything else is still the same.

not likely ... definitely not passive

this is a good site to compare cards, unfortunately your GTX260 is only found in the 2011 database but it could still be useful

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU11/217

here in .nl the 7850 seem pretty affordable, they outperform the similarly priced 560ti ... but if you want Nvidia you better patiently wait for mid-range Kepler cards :p

Shame. Thanks for the link though!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So, replacing my Asus P8P67-M PRO (B3) with an Asus P8Z77-M PRO, do you guys think I can keep my OS install? Bad idea? Everything else is still the same.

Nope, but reconfiguring a Windows installation to play nice with a new motherboard is something I'd like for Microsoft to incorporate into an installation repair function at some point (I realise this would probably take about as long as a reinstall, but it would be less fiddling around all the same). That said, with Windows 7, installing over an existing installation moves the previous one to a hidden Windows.old folder, so you won't lose any data. Still, it'd be better to just back up what you need and do a clean install.

On the bright side, if you're currently lacking a dedicated Windows drive, or even just a dedicated partition, you've now the perfect excuse to start.

jarosh

Nope, but reconfiguring a Windows installation to play nice with a new motherboard is something I'd like for Microsoft to incorporate into an installation repair function at some point (I realise this would probably take about as long as a reinstall, but it would be less fiddling around all the same). That said, with Windows 7, installing over an existing installation moves the previous one to a hidden Windows.old folder, so you won't lose any data. Still, it'd be better to just back up what you need and do a clean install.

On the bright side, if you're currently lacking a dedicated Windows drive, or even just a dedicated partition, you've now the perfect excuse to start.

It's a dedicated SSD for the OS. Which also means I have no room for a Windows.old directory.

I wouldn't mind a clean install so much, but what about my Win7 license?

Has anyone here built something close to Jeff Gerstmann's PC shown in the Tested video? How does it hold up now? Anything that you would change if you were building something similar today?

I am thinking of building a similar PC but changing a few things.

An i7 2600K instead of his i5
16 GB DDR3 instead of 8GB
And I can't decide if his GTX570 should be replaced with one of the new GTXs

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Has anyone here built something close to Jeff Gerstmann's PC shown in the Tested video? How does it hold up now? Anything that you would change if you were building something similar today?

I am thinking of building a similar PC but changing a few things.

An i7 2600K instead of his i5
16 GB DDR3 instead of 8GB
And I can't decide if his GTX570 should be replaced with one of the new GTXs
Just as fast. Nothing has come out to replace the parts on a value/performance level.

Go with the Enhanced build and upgrade from there. Slight CPU upgrade in a month happens, 660 and 670 are the big waiting points, hopefully release this month.

Prozel

I'm a total dingus when it's comes to upgrade, so I'll ask you guys instead.

New CPU or GPU?

My motherboard: MSI P55-CD53 Intel P55 DDR3 socket 1156

CPU: Intel Core i7 860 2.80 GHz 8MB 95W Box S1156

GPU: Club 3D Radeon PCI-E HD5850 OC 1GB DDR5 HDMI

I'm thinking GPU since my motherboard has an outdated socket :/

jarosh

Always use the 6.0 Gbps connection. If you have more drives than SATA3 connections than you prioritize your fastest (SSD) drives.

Damn. I only have cables with one right-angle side. I need flat ones for my case or they cover up one connector (can't plug the right-angle side into my HDDs in this case) and I only have two on this board. :'(

Chris R

For everyone else, Arc Midi is going to be today's shellshocker for $70 and free shipping. If you need a new full-featured mid tower, jump on it.

That was one of the cases I was considering, but I forgot that I can't buy stuff from Newegg due to their crazy shipping prices to Alaska (as in the case would be $70, and the shipping is $56).

:(

At least Amazon has free shipping on most cases. It is where I got my brothers case from.

gokieks

Well, does it or doesn't it? The answer decides whether I'll finish building this thing today or not...

The SSD is definitely going on the 6 Gb one.

If you expect to ever install another SSD for whatever reason, then just leave the other 6Gbps port open. If not, then it doesn't matter either way.

JaseC

It doesn't matter at all.

For everyone else, Arc Midi is going to be today's shellshocker for $70 and free shipping. If you need a new full-featured mid tower, jump on it.

http://www.newegg.com/Special/Shell...EMC-SD042012-_-SD041212-_-content-_-PromoWord

Midi-Front-300x225.jpg

Midi-Side-300x225.jpg

This is the case I've ultimately settled on for my planned Ivy Bridge build. I'd initially decided on the HAF X, but ditched it when I discovered it only has 6 3.5" drive bays. Figuring I wouldn't be happy without at least 7 3.5" drive bays (I currently have an SSD and 4 2TB HDDs, and I'm mere gigs away from being shit out of space), I moved on to the HAF X's cousin, the Storm Trooper, but upon reading reviews found its cooling performance to be lackluster, plus it's a little ostentatious. Not knowing where to go next, I looked into Fractal's cases and was happy with the R3, but later switched to the Arc as it apparently cools a little better and has a tad more room for cable management (not to mention it's ~$20 cheaper).

mkenyon

Banned
Well, does it or doesn't it? The answer decides whether I'll finish building this thing today or not...

It literally has no effect on anything at all. Heck, even SATA 1.5GB and 3 wouldn't make a difference.
This is the case I've ultimately settled on for my planned Ivy Bridge build. I'd initially decided on the HAF X, but ditched it when I discovered it only has 6 3.5" drive bays. Figuring I wouldn't be happy without a total of 8 3.5" drive bays (I currently have an SSD and 4 2TB HDDs, and I'm mere gigs away from being shit out of space), I moved on to the HAF X's cousin, the Storm Trooper, but upon reading reviews found its cooling performance to be lackluster, plus it's a little ostentatious. Not knowing where to go next, I looked into Fractal's cases and was happy with the R3, but later switched to the Arc as it cools a little better and has a tad more room for cable management (not to mention it's ~$20 cheaper).
My tip: get at least one aftermarket fan, and if you can stretch the budget, replace all of them. It's the only downside to the case.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Aight. What's best in terms of cost benefit? I don't have that many money, but at the same time I don't want to be too cheap.
Most likely a 670 when it launches (hopefully this month)

Does not matter

JaseC

My tip: get at least one aftermarket fan, and if you can stretch the budget, replace all of them. It's the only downside to the case.

Yeah, I plan to, not too long after I upgrade (a new monitor is next on the list). Its default state will suffice until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom