• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karmum

Banned
Any case is with the right fans. Some cases are better though, certainly.
Well yeah, that's what I mean. Specifically want a case designed for it.

Speaking of fans, any in particular? Was looking at a 4-pack of Cooler Master 120mm fans whenever I get a new case, but that's cause it was for like $13.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Well yeah, that's what I mean. Specifically want a case designed for it.

Speaking of fans, any in particular? Was looking at a 4-pack of Cooler Master 120mm fans whenever I get a new case, but that's cause it was for like $13.
There are a lot of good ones, I'm currently using Scythe Kama II's.

Smokey

I'm going back to my FT02. I just ordered a replacement set of mounts/screws from silverstone since I lost some of them. Now I just need to find some reference 680(s)..

KENYON think its about dat time to learn about water. I already have one of the best cases for it. Enlighten me!

mkenyon

Banned
Yep. There's no one "BETTER THAN ALL" fan, save for maybe the Scythe Gentle Typhoons, but due to Thailand floods they are still ridiculously expensive. It's all about finding what kind of airflow you need and what level of noise is acceptable, then finding the fan that hits both of those. The 120mm BitFenix Spectre Pro's are a great series for me as they have great CFM and are almost inaudible. Their 140s and 200s aren't as great though, more on the side of CFM than low noise.

I'm going back to my FT02. I just ordered a replacement set of mounts/screws from silverstone since I lost some of them. Now I just need to find some reference 680(s)..

KENYON think its about dat time to learn about water. I already have one of the best cases for it. Enlighten me!
YGPM. Teaser:

scaled.php

Karmum

Banned
I'm cheap as hell though, so a mix between reasonably quiet, priced and cooling is what I'm looking for.

Edit - Just saw a few suggestions above from mkenyon. I'll check them out in a bit since my laptop is about to die. Thanks!

n0n44m

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...rtress-FT02-amp-Raven-RV02-Liquid-Cooled-Club

plenty of examples I'd say :) try to find the 3*180 radiator, it's perfect for an FT02 build but can be hard to find

Yep. There's no one "BETTER THAN ALL" fan, save for maybe the Scythe Gentle Typhoons, but due to Thailand floods they are still ridiculously expensive.

After a lot of reading I'd say :

Smoothest motor -> Noiseblockers reference line (or whatever its called)
Lowest noise/cfm -> Scythe Gentle Typhoon

so Noiseblockers up to ~1200 rpm, over that Gentle Typhoons .... but both are $$$

I only have Noiseblockers as 800 rpm is already loud to me ;)

but yeah I guess most people would already be fine with some simple, cheap Yate Loons at 1000 rpm ... when I fire up my PS3 slim it's already way more noisy :(

mkenyon

Banned
iirc, the Spectre Pro's have a higher cfm:dBa ratio.

*edit* Yep!

2.08 CFM/dB for Scythe GT 1850 120mm
2.97 CFM/dB for Spectre Pro 120mm

jarosh

So, uh, it turns out my old mainboard wasn't actually busted...

I originally wanted to RMA it, but they wouldn't take it back because it had two ever so slightly bent pins on the CPU socket. I figured the strange sudden hard resets/reboots I've been dealing with forever must have been caused by that. So I bought a new board.

Put everything together and the system would turn on but not boot. Tried taking out parts, unplugging stuff one by one, the usual suspects. And the system would boot up randomly whenever I changed something, but there was no pattern to it at all. Then it suddenly stopped turning on at all. I kept pressing the power button, but nothing happened. Then I more or less accidentally touched the ATX 24 pin power cable, and suddenly the system turned on...

Turns out that whenever I just slightly poke or touch the ATX power connection, the connector itself or the end of the cable, the system either boots or reboots if it's already running. I suppose even minor temperature changes or any kind of movement or minor vibration could trigger this as well. Which would explain all those strange, arbitrary reboots I've been having for a long time with my old board.

tl;dr:
Poking/touching/messing with the ATX 24 pin power connector should not cause a system to reboot, right? These things aren't meant to be that fragile. Do I RMA the PSU (Seasonic X-560)? It's modular, maybe I could just get the cable(s) replaced?

Karmum

Banned
Well I think anything above like $10 per fan seems a bit much for me (only cause I'm cheap), but maybe I'll just buy one 120mm fan for around like $10 - $15 and buy another one or two down the road, if I end up liking it.

Can't be any worse than the stock fans that are in my current case.

mkenyon

Banned
tl;dr:
Poking/touching/messing with the ATX 24 pin power connector should not cause a system to reboot, right? These things aren't meant to be that fragile. Do I RMA the PSU (Seasonic X-560)? It's modular, maybe I could just get the cable(s) replaced?
Contact Seasonic, they'll have a new cable out to you within a few days. Best customer service ever.

1-D_FTW

Contact Seasonic, they'll have a new cable out to you within a few days. Best customer service ever.

Yeah. I can't complain about the service. I'm still miffed about the power supply dying a couple days before 30 days (making it impossible to beat the return deadline to Newegg) and getting stuck with a refurb, but the service was great. The guy I was e-mailing with sent me the replacement with a pre-paid return label. So it didn't cost me anything to send it back (and this was done without requiring a credit card on file. Usually they want an arm and leg to ship a replacement before you've returned the old).

Sethos

Banned
When are the high(er) end Ivy Bridge due for release again, I know this has been asked a million times. Thinking of doing a quick overhaul of my current machine for my 680 SLI setup, getting a PCI Express 3.0 motherboard, one of the new i7s and a 256GB SSD - Everything's available except the damn CPUs.

MrBig

When are the high(er) end Ivy Bridge due for release again, I know this has been asked a million times. Thinking of doing a quick overhaul of my current machine for my 680 SLI setup, getting a PCI Express 3.0 motherboard, one of the new i7s and a 256GB SSD - Everything's available except the damn CPUs.

Latest report says the release date has been moved from the 29th to the 23rd, so a bit over a week from now.
I unfortunately am still waiting on the 660 :(

Odd, checked my local hardware pusher and they have this in stock

http://www.computersalg.dk/produkt/...m_medium=edbpriserLINK&utm_campaign=EDBpriser

Isn't that one of the high end Ivy Bridges?
A few retailers in different countries have listed them. As for who actually has silicon, well...

The Intel 330 looks like it's real. Uses the SandForce controller (SF-2281).

http://ascii.jp/elem/000/000/686/686421/

nwJsA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wmOR1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/K7fUI.jpg

60GB: ~$105 USD
120GB: ~$160 USD
180GB: ~$257 USD
Wait, was that ever in question? I posted detailed info on the 330, and 520, over a year ago. The only thing that has really changed since then is Intel's PCIe SSD initiative has shifted slightly.

Gritesh

Incoming price cuts on AMD 7000 series cards:

LINK TO HARDWARE CANUCKS ARTICLE HERE

Not sure if posted already but I am interested to see if the recent out of the gate 7870 is going to get a price cut, this would possibly make this a really REALLY nice card, depending on what Nvidia has up its sleeves though.

clav

·feist·;36903637 said:
Wait, was that ever in question? I posted detailed info on the 330, and 520, over a year ago. The only thing that has really changed since then is Intel's PCIe SSD initiative has shifted slightly.

Oh. Sorry. The mainstream tech blogs reported about the new series earlier this month. Didn't realize you posted that over an year ago.

I just wanted to follow up since it has been released as photos have been trickling out.

R2D4

Banned
Add me to the FT-02 crew.

That case is awesome. I would like to go to water but don't see the need other than the wow factor.

P1020049.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Incoming price cuts on AMD 7000 series cards:

LINK TO HARDWARE CANUCKS ARTICLE HERE

Not sure if posted already but I am interested to see if the recent out of the gate 7870 is going to get a price cut, this would possibly make this a really REALLY nice card, depending on what Nvidia has up its sleeves though.
Only care if the 7850 and 7870 get price cuts. But that doesn't make much business sense. Only the 7970 is placed wrong right now.

Smokey

Add me to the FT-02 crew.

That case is awesome. I would like to go to water but don't see the need other than the wow factor.

P1020049.jpg

i see you are using graphics cards that dump heat into the case as was i with my 580s, what temps do you get?

Gritesh

Only care if the 7850 and 7870 get price cuts. But that doesn't make much business sense. Only the 7970 is placed wrong right now.

Most often when one drops the rest go down as well, providing if this is the case I will be shortly replacing my 5850 with a 7870

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Most often when one drops the rest go down as well, providing if this is the case I will be shortly replacing my 5850 with a 7870
I think it's true if there is competition, but the 660 won't be for a while and 670/670Ti is not fixed yet.

I do hope all the prices do go down though.

AkIRA_22

This is the case I've ultimately settled on for my planned Ivy Bridge build. I'd initially decided on the HAF X, but ditched it when I discovered it only has 6 3.5" drive bays. Figuring I wouldn't be happy without at least 7 3.5" drive bays (I currently have an SSD and 4 2TB HDDs, and I'm mere gigs away from being shit out of space), I moved on to the HAF X's cousin, the Storm Trooper, but upon reading reviews found its cooling performance to be lackluster, plus it's a little ostentatious. Not knowing where to go next, I looked into Fractal's cases and was happy with the R3, but later switched to the Arc as it apparently cools a little better and has a tad more room for cable management (not to mention it's ~$20 cheaper).

Do it mate. I have the Arc and have a 360 rad in her, it's got a lot of room and cools well due to all the fans being 140mm.

DSC_0130.jpg

Still waiting on an FT01-E, or FT02-E (along with an updated AP181).

~2004: TJ04
2012: TJ04-E

Hmmm, unless they pull an RV02, it could be a while.

i see you are using graphics cards that dump heat into the case as was i with my 580s, what temps do you get?
Bear in mind, his GPUs aren't as hot as yours, and, importantly, his only active exhaust isn't hindered by a thick rad.

It would be different if everything was under water.

Oh. Sorry. The mainstream tech blogs reported about the new series earlier this month. Didn't realize you posted that over an year ago.

I just wanted to follow up since it has been released as photos have been trickling out.
Haha. No apologies needed, claviertekky. It's a good update post for anyone in the market for SSDs. I just didn't know there was a cloud leading up to launch, though I guess most products are rumors -officially- until the company shows it publicly, there's partial/full disclosure, or NDA lifts.

mkenyon

Banned
Love the Arc Akira! I wish so bad that the front wasn't that plastic junk though, makes me sad when I look over at my mini sometimes. Would kill for an Arc that is all aluminum.

That TJ04-E is quite the case too.

AkIRA_22

Love the Arc Akira! I wish so bad that the front wasn't that plastic junk though, makes me sad when I look over at my mini sometimes. Would kill for an Arc that is all aluminum.

That TJ04-E is quite the case too.

100% agree, it's the only thing I would change. However it was the price, build quality and features not normally found in mid tower cases that sold me. You can't go wrong with a silverstone or Antec either.

Smokey

·feist·;36906860 said:
Bear in mind, his GPUs aren't as hot as yours, and, importantly, his only active exhaust isn't hindered by a thick rad.

It would be different if everything was under water.

tru story

Palabrah

One question only. I'm going with the excellent build - except one thing. ASUS P8Z68-V LX vs ASUS P8Z68 GEN3 (the enhanced build mobo vs the excellent build mobo) should i do this? is there a giant difference?

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
I'm looking to get some speakers for my desktop, as the ones I have now are pretty shitty. How does the Logitech Z506 75 watts RMS sound? They look alright for under $100.

Reposted for new page. I'm also wanting to connect my 360 (no HDMI port) to my monitor (VGA, HDMI, and DVI) using a VGA adapter, so I need it to have RCA inputs.

Also, thinking about getting a PLANTRONICS GameCom 367 headset. Is it too cheap? The reviews make it sound liable to snap after a period of time.

Sethos

Banned
GAF, I want to build a new PC. It's a massive waste of money and might be a small upgrade over my current, what the primary parts of the machine is concerned but I like building, I like new stuff and I wouldn't mind a spare LAN PC.

Current:

Motherboard: Sabertooth P67
CPU: Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz ( With the Hyper 212 )
RAM: Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL8 (2x4)
GPU: MSI N580GTX Twin Frozr II/OC
PSU: Corsair HX750
Case: CM 690 II Advanced

No slouch by any measure. As I said, want a spare PC and want to move up to an SLI setup that allows room for a third card down the road. Plus the above setup can't handle 2560x1600 gaming.

Here's what I have so far which also outlines the places I need suggestions:

Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K ( What's considered the best air cooler around right now? )
RAM: Any suggestions? 16GB max, don't need that monster overkill.
GPU: Waiting for any 4GB versions of the 680 but I might pull the trigger on two 2GB KFA2s I can get fairly cheap.
PSU: Would like the 1000w Seasonic but it's completely out of stock or grossly overpriced compared to the AX1200 which is the second choice.
Case: Also need some suggestions for a case that'll fit a 3 Way SLI Setup especially towards the bottom as I'd like the last GPU to extend beyond the motherboard, as I also have to fit my ASUS Xonar Essence in between the GPUs, prefer as much air room between the GPUs as possible. Also, none of these vile cheap cases that has a trillion fans and lights.

And I'll top it off with the Samsung 256GB SSD and then I have a few 1TB + 2 x 750GBs discs for downloads and games I don't want on the SSD.

n0n44m

Yate Loons, they are extremely cheap and good
first link I found: http://www.jab-tech.com/YATE-LOON-120mm-Case-Fan-D12SL-12-pr-3009.html

I have three 120SL and nine 140SL/M Yate-Loons and they do rattle somewhat, so don't expect absolute silence. But that only tends to get noticeable if you run them below 1000 rpm. ( Replaced the 120s with Noiseblockers for that reason, the 140s only run while gaming so that's less of an issue.. and 9 Noiseblockers = shitload of €€€ :p )

One question only. I'm going with the excellent build - except one thing. ASUS P8Z68-V LX vs ASUS P8Z68 GEN3 (the enhanced build mobo vs the excellent build mobo) should i do this? is there a giant difference?

less overclock options, most likely less overclocking performance, no SLI support, no USB3 on-board connector for cases with USB3 ports

GAF, I want to build a new PC. It's a massive waste of money and might be a small upgrade over my current, what the primary parts of the machine is concerned but I like building, I like new stuff and I wouldn't mind a spare LAN PC.

Best air cooler? I guess the Noctua DH14 thing or whatever its called? Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B is probably still the best low priced cooler. There haven't been much interesting new CPU aircooled heatsinks in the past 18 months I believe ... guess the all-in-1 liquid kits are having some success...

triple channel RAM? AFAIK the Z77 is still dual-channel

Durante

The best air cooler right now is probably the Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E. But really, at the high end of twin tower coolers the differences are very small.

th3dude

Is there a GPU equivalent to the CPU all-in-one water coolers? I love my Corsair H60 and I'd like to do the same for my new 570 that is coming in.

Sethos

Banned
Was just reading up on the 3770k, apparently a lot of sites are seeing some pretty high temps, especially when overclocked it'll even surpass the 3960x - What's up with that, is that because it's an engineering sample? Has there been any reviews of the actual retail product yet

TommyT

PC GAF, posting this here while I do some looking myself:

My mom is wanting something (a desktop) that she can use for her home business. It seems like the programs she's using will need quite a bit of RAM to render her images (seems like 4GB+) and a nice amount of storage, at least 1Tb.

The only other requirement is that the desktop needs to be able to connect wirelessly to their network. Tried to offer to help run cable or redo their setup, but for whatever reason she's set on wireless (I really think she just doesn't want us in the attic moving/rearranging crap and drilling new holes in the wall... :lol).

While I could build one, she just wants something she can either have delivered or pick up next time they're out of town... so throw what you can at me!

edit: I guess I could just get a really nice PC then throw in a card to connect to their network
- Yeah going to throw this in there I think: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N4WRFY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

1-D_FTW

PC GAF, posting this here while I do some looking myself:

My mom is wanting something (a desktop) that she can use for her home business. It seems like the programs she's using will need quite a bit of RAM to render her images (seems like 4GB+) and a nice amount of storage, at least 1Tb.

The only other requirement is that the desktop needs to be able to connect wirelessly to their network. Tried to offer to help run cable or redo their setup, but for whatever reason she's set on wireless (I really think she just doesn't want us in the attic moving/rearranging crap and drilling new holes in the wall... :lol).

While I could build one, she just wants something she can either have delivered or pick up next time they're out of town... so throw what you can at me!

edit: I guess I could just get a really nice PC then throw in a card to connect to their network
- Yeah going to throw this in there I think: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N4WRFY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway...rive/3152445.p?id=1218380507379&skuId=3152445

I'm gonna recommend the same system as I recommended to the guy wanting to build for his aunt (who pretty much disappeared again).

It's a very nice system. Glossy case. An i3 2120 (very under-rated). 6GB RAM. 1TB hard drive. BUILT-IN WIRELESS. Currently on sale for 449.99.

Only thing I caution against is the keyboard and mouse and the worst piece of plastic known to man. They've somehow managed to devolve the category to a new low. So might want to spend the money that's been saved and get something else for that.

clav

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway...rive/3152445.p?id=1218380507379&skuId=3152445

I'm gonna recommend the same system as I recommended to the guy wanting to build for his aunt (who pretty much disappeared again).

It's a very nice system. Glossy case. An i3 2120 (very under-rated). 6GB RAM. 1TB hard drive. BUILT-IN WIRELESS. Currently on sale for 449.99.

Only thing I caution against is the keyboard and mouse and the worst piece of plastic known to man. They've somehow managed to devolve the category to a new low. So might want to spend the money that's been saved and get something else for that.

Made by Acer (ultimately Foxconn).

Looks like a potentially noisy setup (90mm fans in power supply and case).

Other than that, the price is eh. For $300 I would buy it.

For $450, I would still build a setup as it's easy to get replacement parts.

1-D_FTW

Made by Acer (ultimately Foxconn).

Looks like a potentially noisy setup (90mm fans in power supply and case).

Other than that, the price is eh. For $300 I would buy it.

For $450, I would still build a setup as it's easy to get replacement parts.

It's definitely not noisy. I don't really see how you're going to beat that, so I guess you mine as well build it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom