• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pestul

So GAF, your opinion. I'm going to be building a new PC soon. I'm currently using a Sapphire Radeon HD 5850. I'm considering re-using that in my new build or upgrading to something new. I was looking at a GTX 560Ti for my new build. Is that much of a step up in your opinion? I can't really find a head to head benchmark results for those two cards. Any help would be appreciated.

The only reason I am considering using the same video card is just a cost saving measure. If I can keep my new build to 1000 dollars (Using a Core i7 2700k) that is what I want to do. Also, the reason for my new build is my current setup is mostly 5 years old and I want brand new shit for Diablo 3, that all I really care about in the short term.

Well, it may not be an option for you, but I recently popped another Sapphire Extreme Radeon 5850 in with my original Sapphire for crossfire. I had a couple bumps to work through (MSAA not working with crossfire in Crysis 2 - ran at 1x card speed) and not being able to overvolt my Extreme card for overclocking. Despite that, I'm now running them both at 875/1200 while gaming and getting in excess of 7970 performance for $99 extra.. but yeah, I lucked into a pretty good deal.

ParityBit

The build I am working on I went with the Antec 280. It is a great case so far. It is a mid-tower, but supports eatx mobo's, has a ton of room, easy slide in/out hdd bays etc. Really impressed with it.

Honestly, with the Z77, I would wait for reviews of the boards with Ivy before going forward. At least this way, you can read benchmarks etc...but then again, being an early adopter has it's benefits.

I been reading alot on evga's Z77 board and it looks yummy in all the right places...but the build I am working on is x79 and from early testing, I am in love with it...even though I am still waiting on some additional fans and such to have it complete, what I have been able to test/bench so far with it has been really good.

So I went to the EVGA site and looked up that board. I see under the expansion slots ....

Expansion Slot
5 x PCIe x16/x8, 1 x PCIe x1

The Sabertooth says:
PCI Express 3.0 x16 : 2 (x16/0 or x8/x8)

Doesn't that mean they are both the same when it comes to the SLI? Sorry if I am mistaken here.

Hawk269

Speaking of fan controllers, are they still necessary or should I let the mobo handle it?

I am in the process of replacing my E6600/7800GT/p180 system with IB, and I have a fan controller on my old pc. I have fanless GPU and CPU fins and keep the chassis fans on low because I haven't used it for gaming in years.

I have a Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe on the way and it seems mobos now modulate the chassis fans based on cpu temps. How well does that work? My new build is 3570K/670/p280, and the p280 has a built in fan controller on the back. Should I use the case controller, hook directly into the mobo, or get a proper front-facing fan controller?

The controller on the back of the case is for the 2 top fans and the rear exhaust fan. The 280 does not come with any intake fans. So if you wanted to have 2 intake fans, you would need to buy them and plug them in. Using a fan controller makes it easier to adjust speed as needed, so it depends on your needs as well.

You will love the 280 case btw...really nice and fits pretty much anything.

MrBig

Hate to bump my own post but i could use some advice and I'm afraid this was about to get lost in the shuffle.

That's a fairly different sector than what most people here would have knowledge of. I might try creating a topic over at OCN in this section and asking for advice. Try to figure out what you need/want as best as you can and people will be more able to help you.

That's a fairly different sector than what most people here would have knowledge of. I might try creating a topic over at OCN in this section and asking for advice. Try to figure out what you need/want as best as you can and people will be more able to help you.

Yeah I figured as much but thought it would be worth the shot. I'm pretty much decided I just needed a bit more advice. It's not for gaming so i doubt it will be too hard to screw up.

Hawk269

So I went to the EVGA site and looked up that board. I see under the expansion slots ....

Expansion Slot
5 x PCIe x16/x8, 1 x PCIe x1

The Sabertooth says:
PCI Express 3.0 x16 : 2 (x16/0 or x8/x8)

Doesn't that mean they are both the same when it comes to the SLI? Sorry if I am mistaken here.

You have to read the specs pdf to get more information. The evga z77 has slots 3&4 I beleive both running at 16x, so if you have 2 cards, they will both run at 16x in each slot. For the Saber for example, if you have 1 card it will run at x16, if you put 2 in the saber it will run at x8/x8.

So if you want x16 for 2 cards in SLI the saber wont do that but the evga one will.

ParityBit

You have to read the specs pdf to get more information. The evga z77 has slots 3&4 I beleive both running at 16x, so if you have 2 cards, they will both run at 16x in each slot. For the Saber for example, if you have 1 card it will run at x16, if you put 2 in the saber it will run at x8/x8.

So if you want x16 for 2 cards in SLI the saber wont do that but the evga one will.

Is there an Eta/cost yet?

th3dude

I have a question about SteamTool.

I have all of my games installed to a separate hard drive via SteamTool.

I just swapped out my SSD for another and reinstalled Windows. Is there any way to re-associate SteamTool (or another tool) with my other games directory so I don't have to redownload everything? The games are all on the other drive, but Steam (and SteamTool) don't know about it.

scogoth

I just swapped out my SSD for another and reinstalled Windows. Is there any way to re-associate SteamTool (or another tool) with my other games directory so I don't have to redownload everything? The games are all on the other drive, but Steam (and SteamTool) don't know about it.

Unfortunately this happens to me all the time with steam tool and never found a way to get it to reassociate. I just stopped using steam tool and only dl what I currently play.

RedSwirl

I just realized: my computer might not have a conventional fan in it at all. Other than the GPU and PSU fans, there's just a heat sink in the middle. I think someone else told me that my particular case model was designed so that hot air would just "flow" out of it. The only fan I actually hear is the GPU fan.

I could be wrong though, take a look: http://i.imgur.com/FdmDD.jpg (I've tidied up the cables since then).

AkIRA_22

Dug out this picture of the Phanteks cooler

WkSWW.jpg

Not as tight as I thought but still not enough room for RAM with a big heatspreads. Think I could fit the smaller of the red Ripjaws in there?

I wonder if Phantek know that massive coolers are thing of the past now CPUs are only getting more efficient? With IB using less power than SB and the eventual SB-E replacement most likely using less or similar, but certainly not more that SB-E. Tick Tock for the masiive CPU cooler market.

mkenyon

Banned

Yeah, but it totally doesn't matter even in the slightest bit. Maybe in 3-4 years. Maybe.
I wonder if Phantek know that massive coolers are thing of the past now CPUs are only getting more efficient? With IB using less power than SB and the eventual SB-E replacement most likely using less or similar, but certainly not more that SB-E. Tick Tock for the masiive CPU cooler market.
Cooling is cooling. If they run cooler and more efficient, that means higher volts will net you higher clocks!

I'm a pretty veteran builder, I put together a build for a mate this week: it had to be silent, strict budget and no overclocking. Buying parts in Australia is a pain as everything isn't as readily available, but here's what I settled on:

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-M
CPU: Intel i5 2400
RAM: 8GB Kit 1600 Ripjaws-X
SSD: Intel 520 60gb
Monitor: 27" Samsung S27B350H
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini
PSU: 600w Silverstone Modular
GPU: 7850 Sapphire OC Edition

Reusing the old optical drive and hdd. The case has sound dampening, 120mm intake and 120mm outtake. I thought about swapping them each for 140mm but I want to see if I can undervolt the fans within good temperatures. The GPU is meant to be silent, I'm just hoping the stock intel heatsink is quiet enough. The PSU is overkill but getting a reputable brand in Aus is a major pain, Seasonics are hard to come by.

The case is also modular, I can remove the top drive bay which blocks the intake for slightly better airflow, but that would put both drives below the intake fan, which I'm not crazy about. Not sure which setup would be better for cooling.

AkIRA_22

Cooling is cooling. If they run cooler and more efficient, that means higher volts will net you higher clocks!

To an extent, there is a natural limit of silicon and the process with which the chip is made. Leakage, transients etc all limit the OC., we are rapidly approaching that point where heat itself isn't the reason the OC stops.

Raide

Been out of the country for the last 6 months, home now and I want to find a budget graphics card. My old 8800gt was great but problematic. Now it just shows red lines over the screen. :D

Currently running the basic Intel Sandybridge on-board graphics and I am looking at about £100 ish. Was thinking about the Sapphire RADEON HD 6850. Any thoughts? I don't play that many games on my PC but having it ready for stuff like Diablo 3 etc would be nice.

LordAlu

Been out of the country for the last 6 months, home now and I want to find a budget graphics card. My old 8800gt was great but problematic. Now it just shows red lines over the screen. :D

Currently running the basic Intel Sandybridge on-board graphics and I am looking at about £100 ish. Was thinking about the Sapphire RADEON HD 6850. Any thoughts? I don't play that many games on my PC but having it ready for stuff like Diablo 3 etc would be nice.
6850 is pretty much the best you can get at up to £100.

I'm a pretty veteran builder, I put together a build for a mate this week: it had to be silent, strict budget and no overclocking. Buying parts in Australia is a pain as everything isn't as readily available, but here's what I settled on:

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-M
CPU: Intel i5 2400
RAM: 8GB Kit 1600 Ripjaws-X
SSD: Intel 520 60gb
Monitor: 27" Samsung S27B350H
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini
PSU: 600w Silverstone Modular
GPU: 7850 Sapphire OC Edition

Reusing the old optical drive and hdd. The case has sound dampening, 120mm intake and 120mm outtake. I thought about swapping them each for 140mm but I want to see if I can undervolt the fans within good temperatures. The GPU is meant to be silent, I'm just hoping the stock intel heatsink is quiet enough. The PSU is overkill but getting a reputable brand in Aus is a major pain, Seasonics are hard to come by.

The case is also modular, I can remove the top drive bay which blocks the intake for slightly better airflow, but that would put both drives below the intake fan, which I'm not crazy about. Not sure which setup would be better for cooling.

That looks alright. What was the damage? Hows the noise, or lack there of?

ParityBit

Does anyone have/seen the Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition case? If so, how is it? It gets great reviews. Not sure on fan sound level, but it does have built in fan controls too.

RedSwirl

So I'm thinking of opening my computer's cover a bit while playing something. Anybody wanna clue me in to the dangers involved? I still don't feels safe just running the computer with the cover off - all the parts exposed and everything. What's the safest way to do it? My computer is sitting right on a carpet floor by the way.

So I'm thinking of opening my computer's cover a bit while playing something. Anybody wanna clue me in to the dangers involved? I still don't feels safe just running the computer with the cover off - all the parts exposed and everything. What's the safest way to do it? My computer is sitting right on a carpet floor by the way.

I don't know in relation to your question, but I strongly suggest not leaving your computer on a carpet, or at the least, not moving it while it's running while on a carpet. I feel like you're just asking for static electricity to rear its ugly head.

I've finally started ordering my build, just put down the money for my HD 7850 Twin Frozr III. I'll be ordering the rest tomorrow if I get my 10% off voucher at overclockers by then. I was just wondering if it would be worth bumping up the PSU from 550 to 650 in hopes of it lasting longer if I'm overclocking an i5?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

6850/4601GB/6870 are all together for best value. If possible buying the 6870 will be the best as it is the fastest, but gives you the same FPS/$
Side panel? No issues. Placing the motherboard on the carpet? Probably not a good idea.
I've finally started ordering my build, just put down the money for my HD 7850 Twin Frozr III. I'll be ordering the rest tomorrow if I get my 10% off voucher at overclockers by then. I was just wondering if it would be worth bumping up the PSU from 550 to 650 in hopes of it lasting longer if I'm overclocking an i5?
A good 550W will be far more than enough for single card setups, but if it's not much more getting a 650W is not a bad option either. OC an i5 adds about 35-45W under max load which is pretty small.

Jomjom

Banned
What's the major difference between the GTX 4xx and 5xx series of GPUs? Trying to figure out if I should get a 4xx or 5xx. I cannot afford a 6xx.

cilonen

Did ASUS fix their issues with the 27'' 3D monitor?

The non-NA units seem to have a much lower incidence of the bleeding, as long as they've sorted the problems that plagued that shipment I can recommend it, it's a great display if it's working as intended.

I've not seen if they're back in stores in the US & Canada yet though.

cilonen

I only have about 10 games in my steam library right now as I just started my collection, but a brainfade had me restoring my boot SSD a couple of weeks ago, to get Steam to recognise the games on the storage drive I manually copied them over to the right place in my steamapps/common folder on the SSD, then opened Steam, selected the game from my library and 'installed' it again, Steam found all the files I'd copied over locally and did it's thing fine.

If you're short of space on the SSD I think it's possible to do this one game at a time and then fire up SteamTool to fire it back to your storage HDD.

Smokey

The non-NA units seem to have a much lower incidence of the bleeding, as long as they've sorted the problems that plagued that shipment I can recommend it, it's a great display if it's working as intended.

I've not seen if they're back in stores in the US & Canada yet though.

I'll have to look into it. I'm a bit partial to Asus monitors simply because I love my current 120hz monitor and it has not given me any trouble. I currently have the VG23HE model that doesn't come with the 3D vision 1 kit, but everywhere I look it seems that the model has been discontinued. Only one I can find is with the kit included, and with 3d vision 2 out that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

dat benq or dat asus

ParityBit

I'll have to look into it. I'm a bit partial to Asus monitors simply because I love my current 120hz monitor and it has not given me any trouble. I currently have the VG23HE model that doesn't come with the 3D vision 1 kit, but everywhere I look it seems that the model has been discontinued. Only one I can find is with the kit included, and with 3d vision 2 out that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

dat benq or dat asus

Yeah, and also there does not seem to be too many 120 Hz monitors in the size range of 27! At least from what I can find.

cilonen

Yeah, and also there does not seem to be too many 120 Hz monitors in the size range of 27! At least from what I can find.

Both the Samsungs (950 & 750) are gorgeous too, but shiny. The 950 has a really glossy screen overlay which ruled it out for me, and the 750 is lacking in input ports IIRC.

If you are OK with a glossy screen though they're well worth looking at - oh they're not nVidia 3D Vision 2 certified (although they have tech essentially the same as lightboost) but AMD HD3D / tridef system compatible, if 3D is a priority over 120Hz.

I think mkenyon has one of the Samsungs.

mkenyon

Banned
Yep, have the S23A750D. I actually prefer the glossy screen due to my office being built around fighting glare. I'd imagine if I were playing something like STALKER, Metro, or Amnesia, it would be a bit annoying as there's a small amount of glare when you have a completely dark screen. I don't notice it in Dota 2 or Tribes though.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm not a fan of the glossy bezels on many monitors. My Samsung reflects all the stuff on my desk.

Room is dark enough screen differences don't bother me.

hlhbk

I have a question on sound cards. Here is what I am trying to do.

I have a PC that is currently outputing sound with a Soundblaster x-fi extreme audio card to a old 5.1 speaker setup. I want to hook my 360 up via optical out for audio. Neither the sound card or speakers have a optical in port, and my recently built system's onboard audio doesn't have the optical in either. I have an old Sound Blaster Audigy 2 with a seperate box for audio, connectors but fear I will lose sound quality going back to that.

My only option it appears is to buy a new card. I am running Windows 7 and am looking forthe best card, that has the best 5.1 sound output, and can process the optical in and output it with 5.1 sound? The more I read about the creative cards it appears the yall output in stereo instead of 5.1. I am looking at this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=(keywords)&Page=3

Would this card output the optical in audio at 5.1? If not what card does?

ParityBit

Does anyone have/seen the Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition case? If so, how is it? It gets great reviews. Not sure on fan sound level, but it does have built in fan controls too.

I am curious if anyone has this/seen this. Mainly if I would need to update the fans if I were to go with this case. Its pretty sweet looking I think

mkenyon

Banned
I am curious if anyone has this/seen this. Mainly if I would need to update the fans if I were to go with this case. Its pretty sweet looking I think
To each their own. I've seen the black one in the flesh and I thought it looked really gaudy and cheesy. It seems to get good reviews though, and my only critique of it is entirely subjective. The only other thing I'm not huge on is having everything in its own compartment, but that's probably because I imagine a water loop in all the cases I look at.

I have a question on sound cards. Here is what I am trying to do.

I have a PC that is currently outputing sound with a Soundblaster x-fi extreme audio card to a old 5.1 speaker setup. I want to hook my 360 up via optical out for audio. Neither the sound card or speakers have a optical in port, and my recently built system's onboard audio doesn't have the optical in either. I have an old Sound Blaster Audigy 2 with a seperate box for audio, connectors but fear I will lose sound quality going back to that.

My only option it appears is to buy a new card. I am running Windows 7 and am looking forthe best card, that has the best 5.1 sound output, and can process the optical in and output it with 5.1 sound? The more I read about the creative cards it appears the yall output in stereo instead of 5.1. I am looking at this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=(keywords)&Page=3

Would this card output the optical in audio at 5.1? If not what card does?

If you want to get 5.1 through optical you need a device that can decode Dolby Digital. I've never really heard of someone using the PC sound card to do that, it's more common to use a receiver, but I guess it would work, provided the sound card has an optical in and has an option to just decode it and pass it through to the speakers with no more processing. That card has Dolby Digital Live, which is what you would need. I don't know if it would definitely work in your use case, but in theory it would.

t-ramp

So anyone know?

I really don't want to overclock his current cpu since he has no idea what to do if it goes wrong.

Would a AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition be a good upgrade?

I've tried looking for comparisons between the two but couldn't find any.
Is the 550 unlocked? As far as I know they're basically the same processor, with the 550 just being locked and clocked a bit lower.

I'm thinking about upgrading from my current gpu, but will my 430w psu be enough for a 550/560? I have an Athlon X3 and 6670 atm.
What PSU?

ParityBit

To each their own. I've seen the black one in the flesh and I thought it looked really gaudy and cheesy. It seems to get good reviews though, and my only critique of it is entirely subjective. The only other thing I'm not huge on is having everything in its own compartment, but that's probably because I imagine a water loop in all the cases I look at.

I saw (I think) that you have an H40? I picked up an H100 and I was wondering if you changed the stock fans? If so, to what? I am thinking I may want to do that. Although Maybe I shouldn't have gotten the H100 before getting a case!

mkenyon

Banned
Have an H100 and just sold my custom loop. Have BitFenix Spectre Pros on the H100. With radiator fans, you actually want to look at static pressure over CFM generally. Spectre Pros and Gentle Typhoon 1850+ are the best choice if you don't mind spending a bit. Otherwise Yate Loons and Noiseblockers are a good choice.

The stock fans are unbearably loud though.

*edit*
Thats right, H40 was on a teammate's build. That had stock fans on it despite me telling him to get something else. Some people just don't mind it, especially if they have headsets on most of the time.

ParityBit

Have an H100 and just sold my custom loop. Have BitFenix Spectre Pros on the H100. With radiator fans, you actually want to look at static pressure over CFM generally. Spectre Pros and Gentle Typhoon 1850+ are the best choice if you don't mind spending a bit. Otherwise Yate Loons and Noiseblockers are a good choice.

*edit*
Thats right, H40 was on a teammate's build. That had stock fans on it despite me telling him to get something else. Some people just don't mind it, especially if they have headsets on most of the time.

Are these the ones? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007JNHXXI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I can pick up two if they are for when I get the H100 in.

Hawk269

*edit*

Yes. I have 2 noiseblockers on my H100 and what a difference in sound. The stock fans are extremly loud. So replacing them with good fans is a positive!

Kingven

Hi everyone.. just bought a new amd build, to replace my old athlon II 620..

Im just reusing my 460 GTX and a corsair 650W PSU.

All in a Cooler Master 430 Case...

DC6fL.png

Woot! woot!

chualie

just got a Crucial M4 but don't have a bracket. Is it okay to just duct tape it to the HDD bay or should I buy a bracket? Many thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom