• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

scogoth

Also those at 140mm fans on the phanteks right? You also want to make sure you can raise it enough for the RAM without interfering with the side door of your case. If you have a mid size case you may run into issues.

Welcome to big air =) measurements are key.

Sethos

Banned
Also those at 140mm fans on the phanteks right? You also want to make sure you can raise it enough for the RAM without interfering with the side door of your case. If you have a mid size case you may run into issues.

Welcome to big air =) measurements are key.

Haha, thank you. Can almost assure you the case won't be a problem, I'm going for the Cosmos II which is basically a small house. It all comes down to the clearing between the fan and the RAM. Yes, those are 140mm fans, although fairly proprietary as you can't sleep any 140mm fan on there.

Bentendo

Alright, I think I'm probably going to go with the standard build since all of the builds seem to go WAY over the price listed. On Amazon the standard builds already got me at $671 (surely I'm not choosing the wrong parts?). So, I guess all I need now is a really good monitor recommendation. This is one area I don't really want to skimp on and I want one that has very little input lag.

Here's what I have in my Amazon cart so far:

*CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 Processor 3.3 GHz 3MB Cache Socket LGA1155 - 129.99
*Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 1066 Intel - LGA 1155 Motherboard - $104.99
*Memory: Crossair Vengeance 1600 - $54.99
*Graphics: Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6850 PCIE Video Card (100315L) - $149.99
*Hard Drive: Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.5 inch Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive HD103SI - 89.99
*Power Supply: Corsair Builder Series CX V2 430-Watt 80 Plus Certified Power Supply Compatible with Intel and AMD Platforms - CMPSU-430CXV2 - $40
*Case: NZXT Technologies Source 210 Computer Case (Black) - $40
*Optical Drive: Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black) - $22

Would most games work pretty well with a setup like that??? Is there anything that you think I should go higher with?

LordAlu

Alright, I think I'm probably going to go with the standard build since all of the builds seem to go WAY over the price listed. On Amazon the standard builds already got me at $671 (surely I'm not choosing the wrong parts?). So, I guess all I need now is a really good monitor recommendation. This is one area I don't really want to skimp on and I want one that has very little input lag.

Here's what I have in my Amazon cart so far:

*CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 Processor 3.3 GHz 3MB Cache Socket LGA1155 - 129.99
*Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 1066 Intel - LGA 1155 Motherboard - $104.99
*Memory: Crossair Vengeance 1600 - $54.99
*Graphics: Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6850 PCIE Video Card (100315L) - $149.99
*Hard Drive: Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.5 inch Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive HD103SI - 89.99
*Power Supply: Corsair Builder Series CX V2 430-Watt 80 Plus Certified Power Supply Compatible with Intel and AMD Platforms - CMPSU-430CXV2 - $40
*Case: NZXT Technologies Source 210 Computer Case (Black) - $40
*Optical Drive: Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black) - $22

Would most games work pretty well with a setup like that??? Is there anything that you think I should go higher with?
Any reason to go with Amazon? The Standard build from NewEgg comes up at $602 (with $10 rebate down to $592) before shipping which is about right when you consider the HDD is $50 more because of the floods. :/

As for monitor, I'd personally go for this Asus VH236H -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059

Bentendo

Any reason to go with Amazon? The Standard build from NewEgg comes up at $602 (with $10 rebate down to $592) before shipping which is about right when you consider the HDD is $50 more because of the floods. :/

As for monitor, I'd personally go for this Asus VH236H -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059

Well then... I think I might go with Newegg :p Again: I'm very new with this stuff and I'm not very familiar with the pros and cons of retailers. Thanks man!

Sethos

Banned
And now the big money spending spree has slowly begun on my next build, two Palit 680 4GBs ordered. Was originally going for the KFAs but I have a feeling the two fans will be a tad more noisy than Palit's 3 fan design.

They just went in-stock on overclockers.co.uk, the palits.

ShinNL

Hello, I'd like to ask a question and if someone can help me out I would be grateful.

I think my videocard is spazzing out. This is an used PC I bought, so I didn't build it myself.

During Starcraft 2 the game will show graphical glitches after a period of time of playing, usually during a busy scene. The glitching looks like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NkoOtZZLJ0

HD videos also don't play very well in sync anymore (video seems to slow down during busy scenes).

I assume it's my videocard overheating or videocard memory being corrupted, though I'm not 100% sure. From the little I tested, Skyrim still seems to run fine at max settings.

Anyway, is it my videocard? And if yes, what's the best thing I can replace it with (fitting the same motherboard slot)?

It's a GeForce GTS 250.

If more info is required for advice, please ask.

Thanks in advance.

maks

If you want wireless or have a android/ios device go with a z77, otherwise there not a major reason to go for it. It is only $15 more for a Z77-V though (the pro version doesn't add anything substantial from what I can tell). I personally am getting a z77-v so that I can control my comp (hooked up to my TV) with my android tablet as if I had a wireless htpc controller set up.

I've been working with android/ios games and apps for the last couple years...so tempting. Its a $40 difference between the Asus Z68 pro/gen3 and Asus Z77 Sabretooth.

MrBig

I've been working with android/ios games and apps for the last couple years...so tempting. Its a $40 difference between the Asus Z68 pro/gen3 and Asus Z77 Sabretooth.

You need the wireless antenna for the android/ios interaction, so you have to go with any of the boards in the Asus Z77-V series. The Z68 pro/gen3's equivalent would be the Z77-V pro, but the feature difference between it and and the -V base model is almost non-existent for most people. $210 shipped at NCIX.

MrBig

What does this android/iOS integration do? I'm having a dummy moment and can't find anything about it.

The app itself is found here, you can see screenshots and a brief description there. Also check the Wifi Go section of the specs on Asus's site. There haven't been any review on it yet, to my knowledge.

Main point (for me) would be to use it as a wireless keyboard and mouse. Remote desktop would also be useful, depending on how it fares compared to other solutions for that.

The app itself is found here, you can see screenshots and a brief description there. Also check the Wifi Go section of the specs on Asus's site. There haven't been any review on it yet, to my knowledge.

Main point (for me) would be to use it as a wireless keyboard and mouse. Remote desktop would also be useful, depending on how it fares compared to other solutions for that.

Man that's crazy. I never would have dreamed of that. I can't help but wonder how much data that would consume. Sending screen and input data in real time?

clav

Sethos

Banned
Sethos -

Check out the Mushkin 993997 Ridgebacks - red, not too crazy of fins, and great reviews. The price is very nice for 2133 MHz RAM, too. I liked it so much I bought 64GB of it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/quad-channel-ddr3-memory-review,3100-5.html

Appreciate the suggestions, although I can't seem to find them anywhere around my parts of the world - Not even on Overclockers.

Those fins also look like they're on the edge of causing problems with the Phanteks

mkenyon

Banned
What's so difficult about RMA?

Also I believe Intel sells its NAND to other manufacturers (e.g. Kingston HyperX), so what's different about it?
Totally anecdotal, but I've done 3 RMA's with OCZ (RAM, PSU, and SSD), each one took well over a month. Conversely, the RMA process for Intel 1155 motherboards with the SATA bug was that you had one at your house before you had to send it back. I've RMA'd an H100 and the Fan Controller from my 600T with Corsair. With the H100, I had a new unit at my house before I sent the old one back. With the 600T, they literally just sent me an entire new case, didn't even have to send the old one back.

sk3tch

Totally anecdotal, but I've done 3 RMA's with OCZ (RAM, PSU, and SSD), each one took well over a month. Conversely, the RMA process for Intel 1155 motherboards with the SATA bug was that you had one at your house before you had to send it back. I've RMA'd an H100 and the Fan Controller from my 600T with Corsair. With the H100, I had a new unit at my house before I sent the old one back. With the 600T, they literally just sent me an entire new case, didn't even have to send the old one back.

FWIW, I recently did an OCZ RMA for a Vertex 3 and it went really well. I was impressed. They even sent me a new drive as a replacement - not a refurb like some do.

scogoth

Unrelated to SSDs but I tried to get a replacement light when one of the LEDs on my Bitfenix case burnt out. 4 months later, no LED and they keep replying with, "We're sorry we'll have it shipped to you".

I know cases don't break often but be wary of your Bitfenix fans mkenyon.

kennah

That is crazy awesome.

mclaren777

The Venn diagram for PC building and sim racing probably overlaps quite a bit, so I wanted to make sure that you guys saw this thread...

50% off beta: Fanatec CSW with GT2 and Formula rims

fanatec2.gif

x-Lundz-x

So GAF, your opinion. I'm going to be building a new PC soon. I'm currently using a Sapphire Radeon HD 5850. I'm considering re-using that in my new build or upgrading to something new. I was looking at a GTX 560Ti for my new build. Is that much of a step up in your opinion? I can't really find a head to head benchmark results for those two cards. Any help would be appreciated.

The only reason I am considering using the same video card is just a cost saving measure. If I can keep my new build to 1000 dollars (Using a Core i7 2700k) that is what I want to do. Also, the reason for my new build is my current setup is mostly 5 years old and I want brand new shit for Diablo 3, that all I really care about in the short term.

1-D_FTW

So GAF, your opinion. I'm going to be building a new PC soon. I'm currently using a Sapphire Radeon HD 5850. I'm considering re-using that in my new build or upgrading to something new. I was looking at a GTX 560Ti for my new build. Is that much of a step up in your opinion? I can't really find a head to head benchmark results for those two cards. Any help would be appreciated.

The only reason I am considering using the same video card is just a cost saving measure. If I can keep my new build to 1000 dollars (Using a Core i7 2700k) that is what I want to do. Also, the reason for my new build is my current setup is mostly 5 years old and I want brand new shit for Diablo 3, that all I really care about in the short term.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/547?vs=512

If you're talking just a stock 560Ti, you can view the comparison there.

mkenyon

Banned
Unrelated to SSDs but I tried to get a replacement light when one of the LEDs on my Bitfenix case burnt out. 4 months later, no LED and they keep replying with, "We're sorry we'll have it shipped to you".

I know cases don't break often but be wary of your Bitfenix fans mkenyon.

Makes me quite sad to hear. I don't mean to be an apologist (but here comes the apologist response) but they just recently moved into the US market as a fairly small company. I'm sure they are lacking suitable staff, and issues like this should be reported to the community managers so they can improve.

This is offset (for me) by how much they really listen to their customers on tailoring their products with features and design that is really outstanding.

scogoth

Makes me quite sad to hear. I don't mean to be an apologist (but here comes the apologist response) but they just recently moved into the US market as a fairly small company. I'm sure they are lacking suitable staff, and issues like this should be reported to the community managers so they can improve.

This is offset (for me) by how much they really listen to their customers on tailoring their products with features and design that is really outstanding.

I did report it to no avail... service is even more important for small businesses

ParityBit

Hi guys,

So here is my list of have's and what I am building to. Please feel free to suggest changes where you see fit. This has been a long and hard process. Please note that my budget is open, but I am looking for "reasonable" if you know what I mean.

Current :
  • CPU : Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4 Ghz
  • Motherboard : EVGA nForce 680i SLI
  • RAM : Corsair Dominator 4 GB (2 x 2GB)
  • Graphics : Sapphire Radeon HD 6770
  • HDD : Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1-TB
  • Power : Thermaltake W0106RU 700W
  • Case : Antec Performance One P180
  • Optical : Pioneer DVD-RW DVR111D
  • Sound : Onboard
  • Keyboard : Logitech G15
  • Mouse : Logitech G7
  • Monitor : Dell 2407WFP

Now I have some questions on my build. For one I still need a monitor suggestion! Plus I am going on the assumption that I will be getting an IB for the CPU and 670ti for SLI cards. Lastly I am not 100% on the mobo, and am open to any suggestions (even outside of the mobo!

Amazon prices in USD.

Upgrade
  • CPU : i7 3770k Ivy Bridge (could be swapped out with current i7 SB) ($?)
  • CPU Cooler : Corsair H100 ($109)
  • Motherboard : Asus Sabertooth Z77 ($248)
  • RAM : G.Skill Ripjaws X Series (4 x 4GB) ($120)
  • SSD : Crucial M4 256 GB ($285)
  • Power : Corsair Professional AX850 ($161.50)
  • GPU : GTX 670ti (x 2) ($?)
  • Case : Silverstone Fortress FT02B-w ($229)
  • HHD : Seagate Barracuda Green 2 TB 5900 RPM Sata 6 ($119)
  • Monitor : Acer HN274H BM111D (Not sold on this. Want 27 inch 120 hrz) ($620)
  • Keyboard : Corsair Vengence K60 (clickity) ($95.25)
  • Optical Drive : LG WH12Ls39 blu-ray burner ($83)
  • Speakers : [Already own] Klipsch Promedia 2.1
  • Mouse : [Already own] Logitech G9X
  • Soundcard : [Already own] Asus Xonar DX

Lastly, anything else you suggest in the ways of cables/quiet fans/extras? I am looking for any suggestions you guys can/will offer me. I hope to start ordering some parts shortly!

Thank you so much!
ParityBit

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
OMG that is exactly what I am looking for, thanks man! I never realized they had that.
In the OP :(
Just ctrl+F 'bench' or something yo
Hi guys,

So here is my list of have's and what I am building to. Please feel free to suggest changes where you see fit. This has been a long and hard process. Please note that my budget is open, but I am looking for "reasonable" if you know what I mean.

Current :

Now I have some questions on my build. For one I still need a monitor suggestion! Plus I am going on the assumption that I will be getting an IB for the CPU and 670ti for SLI cards. Lastly I am not 100% on the mobo, and am open to any suggestions (even outside of the mobo!

Amazon prices in USD.

Upgrade

Lastly, anything else you suggest in the ways of cables/quiet fans/extras? I am looking for any suggestions you guys can/will offer me. I hope to start ordering some parts shortly!

Thank you so much!
ParityBit
Looks fine to me.
Fans I personally use Scythe Kama II's, but there are a ton of good fans out there.

1-D_FTW

Hi guys,

Current :

Amazon prices in USD.

Upgrade

Thank you so much!
ParityBit

Significant flaws aside, the Asus VG278H does seem like the best 120hz 27 inch monitor. Amazon dropped their price to 635 too (although they sold out on the weekend).

From an input lag and ghosting POV, it really does seem like best of class at the moment.

gate777

My first build is almost done. All in need is a hard disk and it's complete.

Went through POST perfectly. So proud!!

Final Specs:

1. CPU : Intel Core i5 2500K
  2. Heat Sink : Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
  3. Motherboard : Asus P8Z768 V-GEN3
  4. RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8 GB (2 x 4GB)
  5. Graphics : Coming later in time for Diablo 3 and Baldurs Gate remake probably an HD7850 2GB
  6. HDD : soon, probably a WD or Seagate 500GB SATAIII
  7. Power : Cooler Master eXtreme Power+ 600W
  8. Case : Cooler Master HAF 912
  9. Optical : LG DVD-RW
  10. Sound : Onboard
  11. Keyboard : Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000
  12. Monitor : Asus VE228 22 inch
  13. OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit

Hawk269

What he said. I am now considering the 512GB 830 for my desktop. I know I should probably wait until black Friday.

I have the 256gb version of that SSD and I really like it. I was thinking of getting the 512, but the price is still too high right now. The 256gb is priced really good right now.

Hawk269

Hi guys,

Current :

Amazon prices in USD.

Upgrade

Thank you so much!
ParityBit

Nice looking build. As an owner of the H100, I think it works really well, but the included fans, when running at peak are pretty loud. They do a great job of moving air through the radiator, but at the cost of noise. I have recently replaced the fans with 2 noiseblockers and they are working great and noise was cut in half if not more at peak speed.

For fans, I like the noiseblockers...a bit expensive, but they work really well. I am not familiar with your case and what pre-intalled fans they have, but for me I am replacing all of my stock fans with noiseblockers at the moment. I would also advise to get a fan controller for your rig as well, this way you can control speed for cooling and/or noise.

As far as your mobo, it is nice, but have you looked at the one evga is coming out with? A bit more expensive, but you get true x16 lanes on multiple pci slots, the sabor I beleive is x16 and x8...I know most say it does not make too much of a difference, but we have yet to see true testing of 2 x16 pci 3.0 slots running with a cpu that allows 3.0 and GPU's that allow 3.0...so it might be worth looking into and/or waiting for reviews once IB is released.

aktham

My build above has the Crucial M4 256. That a bad choice?

Not at all. I have a Crucial M4 128 in my desktop right now. I am very pleased with it. I just had compatibility issues (random stuttering) with the M4 on my laptop. If you could get 830 for around the same price for it instead.

This isn't really gaming PC related but here we go. My 8 year old desktop PC has died on me and I'm borrowing a laptop. I need a new desktop but really don't have the funds or desire for a gaming pc. I wanna go as cheap as possible but have something capable of just running the internet well and that will last me. Small form factor would be fine. I was looking at barebone set ups for under 300 total.

This for starters?

What is a good value CPU to throw in here?

or is it better to buy something similar to this? then add the rest of the stuff I need?

I'll eventually throw 8 gigs in there.

I just need something cheap and capable of running a linux 64 bit os. I don't play games on PC nor do any major editing. Advice would be appreciated. I know I can build a gamer rig for 500 but I'm not really looking to game on it and want to reduce cost as much as possible.

Hate to bump my own post but i could use some advice and I'm afraid this was about to get lost in the shuffle.

ParityBit

Nice looking build. As an owner of the H100, I think it works really well, but the included fans, when running at peak are pretty loud. They do a great job of moving air through the radiator, but at the cost of noise. I have recently replaced the fans with 2 noiseblockers and they are working great and noise was cut in half if not more at peak speed.

For fans, I like the noiseblockers...a bit expensive, but they work really well. I am not familiar with your case and what pre-intalled fans they have, but for me I am replacing all of my stock fans with noiseblockers at the moment. I would also advise to get a fan controller for your rig as well, this way you can control speed for cooling and/or noise.

As far as your mobo, it is nice, but have you looked at the one evga is coming out with? A bit more expensive, but you get true x16 lanes on multiple pci slots, the sabor I beleive is x16 and x8...I know most say it does not make too much of a difference, but we have yet to see true testing of 2 x16 pci 3.0 slots running with a cpu that allows 3.0 and GPU's that allow 3.0...so it might be worth looking into and/or waiting for reviews once IB is released.

I am not 100% sold on the case either. Any suggestions? I am not a big fan of LED lights to make my office glow, especially when playing games at night!

I have not looked at the EVGA version. I did not even know about it. I know there are some other boards that may be good, so once again, I am open to suggestions!

Hawk269

I am not 100% sold on the case either. Any suggestions? I am not a big fan of LED lights to make my office glow, especially when playing games at night!

I have not looked at the EVGA version. I did not even know about it. I know there are some other boards that may be good, so once again, I am open to suggestions!

The build I am working on I went with the Antec 280. It is a great case so far. It is a mid-tower, but supports eatx mobo's, has a ton of room, easy slide in/out hdd bays etc. Really impressed with it.

Honestly, with the Z77, I would wait for reviews of the boards with Ivy before going forward. At least this way, you can read benchmarks etc...but then again, being an early adopter has it's benefits.

I been reading alot on evga's Z77 board and it looks yummy in all the right places...but the build I am working on is x79 and from early testing, I am in love with it...even though I am still waiting on some additional fans and such to have it complete, what I have been able to test/bench so far with it has been really good.

1-D_FTW

Did ASUS fix their issues with the 27'' 3D monitor?

I think it's still a crap shoot. But the 27 Acer has issue with all units. And really, lighting, which is the big problem with the Asus, seem to be endemic with all the new releases.

Benq had a 10 percent off coupon floating around so you could get the XL2420T for 359.99 (free shipping) or the XL2420TX for 449.99 (free shipping). But those things have real issues to. And if you read the display forums over at HardOCP, quite a few people are having issues with lighting defects happening on those (which is completely ignoring the fact some are just plain having issues with the slow refresh of the LED and the flicker it's giving them).

sk3

Banned
Speaking of fan controllers, are they still necessary or should I let the mobo handle it?

I am in the process of replacing my E6600/7800GT/p180 system with IB, and I have a fan controller on my old pc. I have fanless GPU and CPU fins and keep the chassis fans on low because I haven't used it for gaming in years.

I have a Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe on the way and it seems mobos now modulate the chassis fans based on cpu temps. How well does that work? My new build is 3570K/670/p280, and the p280 has a built in fan controller on the back. Should I use the case controller, hook directly into the mobo, or get a proper front-facing fan controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom