• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, I'm thinking both. Stick the guts of my Sabertooth P67 build + H100 in the V700. Get the V750 and take my time with it. Since I'll be cutting it up anyway, could get the base model and get it powder coated. Maybe all white even. I'll let some other crazies buy it first so I can get some decent measurements before I take the plunge. V700 definitely though.

Powder coating really is the best tradeoff. I would never resort to paint here, and I won't be trying to DIY anodize anytime soon. Don't feel bad when you see more, and more V700s at lans. At least you'll have your own. I'm probably looking at Q3/Q4. Feel my pain.

With a single socket on the V750 (even if it's XL-ATX), you're looking at a possible 360 + 240 + 240, if you're creative. 360x2 + 240, if you're a beast. 240x2, and 240x3 are fairly straight forward with simple cut, sand, and channel.

Gvaz

Banned
I was kind of pissed that nvidia's main reason when I talked to them about the 680's autoclocking feature was to "prevent people from ruining their cards from overclocking"

That's what warranties are for!!! UGH

mkenyon

Banned
·feist·;36984508 said:
Powder coating really is the best tradeoff. I would never resort to paint here, and I won't be trying to DIY anodize anytime soon. Don't feel bad when you see more, and more V700s at lans. At least you'll have your own. I'm probably looking at Q3/Q4. Feel my pain.

With a single socket on the V750 (even if it's XL-ATX), you're looking at a possible 360 + 240 + 240, if you're creative. 360x2 + 240, if you're a beast. 240x2, and 240x3 are fairly straight forward with simple cut, sand, and channel.
At most the LANs around here, probably 80% of the cases are Danger Den (local to PDX, they're always a huge sponsor), Corsair, or Coolermaster. The rest are a mix of Antec, scratch builds, and the rest of the brands. I'm not kidding when I say out of 10+ PDXLANs I've been to, I've seen maybe 5 Lian Li cases.

I think the price for the perceived value is too high for non-enthusiasts. They think "but this $250 case doesn't have half of the features of the HAF X/600T/690II". They're right in a sense, but in the same way that a Ford Focus has a lot more amenities than a Porsche.

ParityBit

I game wireless and although its not ideal I make it work. Make sure you have a strong connection and that nothing else is running in the background and nobody else is using the wireless. That display is awesome for colour and picture quality although for gaming lower response time and 120hz are what serious gamers look for.

Any comment on this? Is a 1560 x 1440 a must also? (if I were to go gtx 470ti SLI) ?

MrBig

Any comment on this? Is a 1560 x 1440 a must also? (if I were to go gtx 470ti SLI) ?

It's certainly not a must, and also not cost effective unless you go for a korean model. What would you be using it for? They're ok for gaming but there is no 1440p monitor that has good (relatively speaking, compared to 1080p monitors in the same price range as a korean models) response times or is guaranteed to run at 120hz.

Shambles

At most the LANs around here, probably 80% of the cases are Danger Den (local to PDX, they're always a huge sponsor), Corsair, or Coolermaster. The rest are a mix of Antec, scratch builds, and the rest of the brands. I'm not kidding when I say out of 10+ PDXLANs I've been to, I've seen maybe 5 Lian Li cases.

I think the price for the perceived value is too high for non-enthusiasts. They think "but this $250 case doesn't have half of the features of the HAF X/600T/690II". They're right in a sense, but in the same way that a Ford Focus has a lot more amenities than a Porsche.

Except a case doesn't make your computer any faster. I hate shitty car analogies.

ParityBit

It's certainly not a must, and also not cost effective unless you go for a korean model. What would you be using it for? They're ok for gaming but there is no 1440p monitor that has good (relatively speaking, compared to 1080p monitors in the same price range as a korean models) response times or is guaranteed to run at 120hz.

Ok, well any suggestions for a 27 inch? I was thinking of upgrading my monitor. I have an older Dell 24?
Oh am I am using mostly for gaming (and programming)

How is. The Acer HN274Hbmiiid ?

nocode

Nice job, Nocode!

mkenyon said:
Great build! Very sweet parts, and that 6870 is really capable, even compared to the brand new stuff.

Only suggestion would be to clean up those cables a bit more. You would be surprised how quickly they collect dust and how much they disrupt airflow.

I have a guide in this thread that should help you quite a bit if you are interested.

Thanks!!

I'll check out the cable guide. Although, you should have seen what it looked like before I hid all those extra cables from the PSU. Eventually I'm going to install my Hyper 212 and overclock, so I'll probably clean things up a bit more at that point. Can't wait to get some games going on this thing!

As a small thanks, I got an extra download code of Dirt 3 with all those hardware orders. First person to respond that they want it gets it. I'd really rather it go to someone that has been posting help in this thread, but I'm not gonna be an ass about it. I'll PM you the code.

Razorwind

Preparing up my rig for some D3 action:

I will get a H100 and OC my Q2D E8500 CPU (Just to the extent of 60 FPS)
Currently got a ATI 5770, thinking to buy a Nvidia gtx 580 or gtx 680 next...With only 80 USD difference (in where I live), is this better to grab a 680?

sk3tch

Preparing up my rig for some D3 action:

I will get a H100 and OC my Q2D E8500 CPU (Just to the extent of 60 FPS)
Currently got a ATI 5770, thinking to buy a Nvidia gtx 580 or gtx 680 next...With only 80 USD difference (in where I live), is this better to grab a 680?

No question. Even if someone argues that you will be CPU limited, etc. etc. - you simply make a better investment in a card like the GTX 680. It has high demand - whereas the GTX 580 is typically being offloaded as folks upgrade.

Arken2121

No question. Even if someone argues that you will be CPU limited, etc. etc. - you simply make a better investment in a card like the GTX 680. It has high demand - whereas the GTX 580 is typically being offloaded as folks upgrade.

I hope so, do you think there'll be much of an improvement with the 4GB version over the current?

Anyone have any experience with the Lian Li PC-TU200 case?

I'm looking to build a smaller PC. Just looking at pictures, I like the look of it and it appears to be quite small. I've already got a large PC as my 'power pc.' My idea is to make a cheaper (not that the case is cheap) PC, recycling an older gtx275 I have, plus getting parts comparable to the standard range from the OP.

sk3tch

I hope so, do you think there'll be much of an improvement with the 4GB version over the current?

Subjective. Depends on what resolution you game at...what games...we'll have to see when reviews come out. I am sure the 4GB ones are going to drop soon. If you don't need to upgrade, may as well wait a bit.

AkIRA_22

5760x1080. Nothing requires quad-SLI 680s. Nothing requires a 3960X. I did it because I wanted to. :)

Well, actually BF3 kinda does - for 120 FPS / 120hz. Which is pretty much all that I play.

At least you DO have a reason with that resolution... sort of. However good on you, sir. Wish I had the cash to do the same.

Arken2121

Subjective. Depends on what resolution you game at...what games...we'll have to see when reviews come out. I am sure the 4GB ones are going to drop soon. If you don't need to upgrade, may as well wait a bit.

Well I've been waiting for quite sometime and was hoping to get the GTX685 but that's not for a while. I'm looking to build probably at the end of April and it's looking like the 3930k looks like a solid choice.

Chris R

How long until the AMD 7xxx price drops show up in various online stores? $399 for the 7950 sounds great for me (a real 670 would be good too but nVidia doesn't want to play to the non enthusiasts right now it seems).

scogoth

How long until the AMD 7xxx price drops show up in various online stores? $399 for the 7950 sounds great for me (a real 670 would be good too but nVidia doesn't want to play to the non enthusiasts right now it seems).

The prices will probably drop as soon as the 670 is released which may be awhile due to the low yield of 28nm GPUs right now.

Sethos

Banned
Hai Gais, little question.

My original plan was the Sabertooth x79 and a 2-slot 4GB 680 if possible. However, it's starting to seem more likely that I might see those awful 3-slot 4GBs first ( Phantom / Palit ) which means it's going to be a bit of a squeeze.

Any high-end x79 that will accomodate 2 x 3-Slot GPUs AND an Asus soundcard ( 1 slot ) while still maintaining some breathing room between the GPUs, which is very important considering they are now fan based instead of the reference intake.

Mr Swine

Banned
It does. Most reviews post max tamps and IB temp sensors were erratic in some engineering samples going up to 80-90C for a millisecond then dropping back down.

I really hope so, not that I'm going to OC my 3570k anytime soon but for everyone else!

Well I ordered my new Motherboard, a Asus Maximus V Gene and 8GB Corsair DDRIII XMS3 which I hope is good enough for the motherboard :) only one week away from the new CPU :D

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Ugh, want to upgrade so bad. Funds are much lower than I thought. Shitty feeling. =/ I think I have to start by looking into upgrading this rig. Some SSDs and a 680 would do...

Hello Gentlemen.

I am useless at finding the right parts for whatever I need. I'm not up with PC building. I know how to put it all together, but I lack knowledge on parts. I have a motherboard I won about 1 year ago in a raffle. My question is:

Would you guys be able to recommend what I can put on top of it, so that I can build a fairly nice gaming PC? My knowledge on just about everything is outdated.

I apologise if this is outside the rules of this thread, but I need an upgrade desperately.

AkIRA_22

Hello Gentlemen.

I am useless at finding the right parts for whatever I need. I'm not up with PC building. I know how to put it all together, but I lack knowledge on parts. I have a motherboard I won about 1 year ago in a raffle. My question is:

Would you guys be able to recommend what I can put on top of it, so that I can build a fairly nice gaming PC? My knowledge on just about everything is outdated.

I apologise if this is outside the rules of this thread, but I need an upgrade desperately.

What is the motherboard? we need to know so we can tell you which CPU to put in it.

Lucius86

Banned
Looks like in the UK there has been a £50 price cut on the 7950's at overclockers.co.uk - one can be have for £300.

Tempted....

AkIRA_22

This isn't really gaming PC related but here we go. My 8 year old desktop PC has died on me and I'm borrowing a laptop. I need a new desktop but really don't have the funds or desire for a gaming pc. I wanna go as cheap as possible but have something capable of just running the internet well and that will last me. Small form factor would be fine. I was looking at barebone set ups for under 300 total.

This for starters?

What is a good value CPU to throw in here?

or is it better to buy something similar to this? then add the rest of the stuff I need?

I'll eventually throw 8 gigs in there.

I just need something cheap and capable of running a linux 64 bit os. I don't play games on PC nor do any major editing. Advice would be appreciated. I know I can build a gamer rig for 500 but I'm not really looking to game on it and want to reduce cost as much as possible.

ParityBit

Ok, well any suggestions for a 27 inch? I was thinking of upgrading my monitor. I have an older Dell 24?
Oh am I am using mostly for gaming (and programming)

How is. The Acer HN274Hbmiiid ?

Any suggestions on monitors? I tried researching this and it appears there are not many suggestions!

Sethos

Banned
Okay, after some research I've found the Rampage IV Formula / Extreme might be a better choice if going for a 3-slot SLI solution, space wise. So that might be my choice over the Sabertooth x79. Also means I'll get the colour scheme I like, Red / Black.

Two questions

1) What's the difference between the Formula / Extreme in layman terms

2) Any Quad chan. kits of RAM that's red and doesn't have massive heatsink fins that'll block the Phanteks PH-TC14PE?

I have all my parts except for video card because I am waiting on 680 availability and possibly 670/Ti benchmarks.

IMG_10171.jpg

abasm

My current computer is coming up on 6 years, and while it has served me well in that time, its age is quite visible. I've got a build mapped out here, any advice before I take the plunge?

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Motherboard: Biostar TZ77B
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Antec 550W ATX12V Power Supply

I'll be reusing the DVD drive from my old machine. I'm also going to see if I can re-use the fans as well, since the case looks like it can accommodate more.

Total: $809.15 (I don't think I can go higher than $900)

scogoth

Okay, after some research I've found the Rampage IV Formula / Extreme might be a better choice if going for a 3-slot SLI solution, space wise. So that might be my choice over the Sabertooth x79. Also means I'll get the colour scheme I like, Red / Black.

Two questions

1) What's the difference between the Formula / Extreme in layman terms

2) Any Quad chan. kits of RAM that's red and doesn't have massive heatsink fins that'll block the Phanteks PH-TC14PE?

1) 8 RAM slots vs 4 RAM slots and a few overclocking features that you wouldn't use unless you are using LN2 and more than 1.5V

2)G.Skill Ripjaws, Corsair XMS, lots of others if you look around.

My current computer is coming up on 6 years, and while it has served me well in that time, its age is quite visible. I've got a build mapped out here, any advice before I take the plunge?

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Motherboard: Biostar TZ77B
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Antec 550W ATX12V Power Supply

I'll be reusing the DVD drive from my old machine. I'm also going to see if I can re-use the fans as well, since the case looks like it can accommodate more.

Total: $809.15 (I don't think I can go higher than $900)

Don't get a biostar motherboard. Get a GIGABYTE like this or an ASRock. Th ASRock is mATX so you would sacrifice some expand-ability but it is also cheaper.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Hello Gaf, I'm a n00b :(
Can someone suggest me a good build for CAD/CAM (rhinoceros, solid edge, catia) and gaming?
My budget is around 1300/1400$

Sethos

Banned
1) 8 RAM slots vs 4 RAM slots and a few overclocking features that you wouldn't use unless you are using LN2 and more than 1.5V

2)G.Skill Ripjaws, Corsair XMS, lots of others if you look around.

Then I need the Extreme, thanks.

Checked out the Ripjaws, even the lowest fins seems fairly elevated? I know that unless it's a tiny low-profile heatsink it tends to rub against these kind of CPU coolers. Any particular models of those mentioned you can recommend me looking at, that is extremely low profile? Any nutter can find red RAM but it's all about lowest profile as possible.

Bentendo

Alright, after much consideration I think I'm ready to make the switch to PC gaming. I can't bare the hassle I've had with my 360 since last year and I'm ready to get a system that I can actually appreciate and not something so restricted. I'm still sticking with Nintendo and their products because of exclusives and the overall convenience of having a nice portable system, but I really want my high-definition experience to be much better than what is available on the 360. While certain things, such as having to pay a monthly fee did help me make my decision, the real reasons I'm doing this are:

1. Awful input lag. I seriously can't play some games on the system because my TV has such bad input lag. I've tried it on other tvs and it's the same thing. My brother's PS3 is the same way. It's not noticeable to some people but it drives me up the wall. I can't take the risk when purchasing a TV and I think this may be one of the things pushing me away from playing console games.

2. The controller. I don't know... I'm just so much better at controlling a game with mouse and keyboard. It seems much easier to aim at things and, even though the four keys seemingly don't provide much room for movement in a 3D space, I actually preferred it when I played New Vegas on someone's laptop over the experience I had with Fallout 3 on my 360.

I don't particularly want a beastly machine, I know I probably won't deal with overclocking (largely because I don't even really know what it is and how to do it!), but I'm actually willing to spend up to a 1,000 or so dollars on this thing, even though the lower the amount the better. As someone who has NO knowledge on PCs or how to build them, would you still recommend I buy everything separately? Does it really take a lot of skill to build a PC because, like I've said, I have no experience whatsoever. I'm worried about buying all of this hardware and not knowing what the hell to do with it. So, basically:

1. Should I buy a PC already built or should I build one myself.

2. How cheap can I go? I want to be able to play all PC games but I'm not particularly worried about having all of the specs maxed out. I really just want to be able to play a game with decent graphics, no input lag and have it be relatively smooth.

3. If I go with a PC I build myself, are these good route to take: http://promotions.newegg.com/nepro/...romotions.newegg.com/Combo/043012/264x120.jpg

4. If I go with a pre-built one, which would you recommend. Also if I go prebuilt can I still upgrade it in the future or am I stuck with what's inside for good?

I know there's a lot to read but I'm extremely concerned about this stuff. PLEASE help!!!

scogoth

Checked out the Ripjaws, even the lowest fins seems fairly elevated? I know that unless it's a tiny low-profile heatsink it tends to rub against these kind of CPU coolers. Any particular models of those mentioned you can recommend me looking at, that is extremely low profile? Any nutter can find red RAM but it's all about lowest profile as possible.

This is a low as you're going to get http://www.corsair.com/memory/intel...hannel-ddr3-memory-kit-cml16gx3m4x1600c8.html

MrBig

There's a Corsair Vengeance LP in red. http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=66353
Having a black heatsink of the XMS series, would serve you just as well though, I would think.

scogoth

Alright, after much consideration I think I'm ready to make the switch to PC gaming. I can't bare the hassle I've had with my 360 since last year and I'm ready to get a system that I can actually appreciate and not something so restricted. I'm still sticking with Nintendo and their products because of exclusives and the overall convenience of having a nice portable system, but I really want my high-definition experience to be much better than what is available on the 360. While certain things, such as having to pay a monthly fee did help me make my decision, the real reasons I'm doing this are:

1. Awful input lag. I seriously can't play some games on the system because my TV has such bad input lag. I've tried it on other tvs and it's the same thing. My brother's PS3 is the same way. It's not noticeable to some people but it drives me up the wall. I can't take the risk when purchasing a TV and I think this may be one of the things pushing me away from playing console games.

2. The controller. I don't know... I'm just so much better at controlling a game with mouse and keyboard. It seems much easier to aim at things and, even though the four keys seemingly don't provide much room for movement in a 3D space, I actually preferred it when I played New Vegas on someone's laptop over the experience I had with Fallout 3 on my 360.

I don't particularly want a beastly machine, I know I probably won't deal with overclocking (largely because I don't even really know what it is and how to do it!), but I'm actually willing to spend up to a 1,000 or so dollars on this thing, even though the lower the amount the better. As someone who has NO knowledge on PCs or how to build them, would you still recommend I buy everything separately? Does it really take a lot of skill to build a PC because, like I've said, I have no experience whatsoever. I'm worried about buying all of this hardware and not knowing what the hell to do with it. So, basically:

1. Should I buy a PC already built or should I build one myself.

2. How cheap can I go? I want to be able to play all PC games but I'm not particularly worried about having all of the specs maxed out. I really just want to be able to play a game with decent graphics, no input lag and have it be relatively smooth.

3. If I go with a PC I build myself, are these good route to take: http://promotions.newegg.com/nepro/...romotions.newegg.com/Combo/043012/264x120.jpg

4. If I go with a pre-built one, which would you recommend. Also if I go prebuilt can I still upgrade it in the future or am I stuck with what's inside for good?

I know there's a lot to read but I'm extremely concerned about this stuff. PLEASE help!!!

1. Better to build yourself because you have control over the parts, its slightly cheaper and more fun.

2. Check OP for the different price points and what they get you. Even a $600 build will play everything well.

3. Generally no because they cheap out on critical components like the power supply. NCIX will let you pick your parts and assemble it for you for $50 if you want to go that route.

4. Yes you can upgrade but again you are paying a premium for built systems. If you want to go that way then give us a budget so we can recommend something.

Bentendo

1. Better to build yourself because you have control over the parts, its slightly cheaper and more fun.

2. Check OP for the different price points and what they get you. Even a $600 build will play everything well.

3. Generally no because they cheap out on critical components like the power supply. NCIX will let you pick your parts and assemble it for you for $50 if you want to go that route.

4. Yes you can upgrade but again you are paying a premium for built systems. If you want to go that way then give us a budget so we can recommend something.

Thank you so much for answering (seriously!). Also, for #4 the most I'm probably willing to pay is 1000. The lower you go the better because I still have to buy a monitor/keyboard/windows7. Personally I'd feel safer getting it prebuilt because I'd probably screw something up. Also thanks for telling me about NCIX. I'll check them out.

Sethos

Banned
Dug out this picture of the Phanteks cooler

WkSWW.jpg

Not as tight as I thought but still not enough room for RAM with a big heatspreads. Think I could fit the smaller of the red Ripjaws in there?

A coworker just asked me to pick out parts for a gaming PC he's building. Should I suggest he just waits until Ivy Bridge launches since it's right around the corner?

scogoth

Dug out this picture of the Phanteks cooler

WkSWW.jpg

Not as tight as I thought but still not enough room for RAM with a big heatspreads. Think I could fit the smaller of the red Ripjaws in there?

Maybe. I actually have that OCZ RAM in my machine with a NH-D14. If you raise the fan up slightly it would fit.

Sethos

Banned
Sweet, think I might go for the Ripjaws then, hear a lot of great things about G.skill all the time.

Also, can't seem to find anywhere around here to pick up an extra fan for that Phanteks :/

scogoth

Actually now that I look at mine, I'm cutting it close. The fan is down low on purpose but if you look at the room between the fins and the RAM I'm not sure if I you could use the RAM slot closest to the CPU slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom