• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le-mo

Bump the voltage to 1.35V then and see where you stand
Ok so I got windows to boot and did the Prime95 and CUPID test and the maximum my CPU speed would go up to is 3.7gHz. I checked my bios and the active/proposed speed is at 4.5gHz. What else do I need to do?

Karmum

Banned
Kind of an adjunct to my previous post:

Would

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=70583&vpn=Define R3 & SS X850&manufacture=Bundle Deals&promoid=1230

(Fractal Design Define R3 Black Case & Seasonic X850 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular PSU $250 free shipping)

be a good deal or is that PSU way overkill?

I figure the R3 alone is anywhere from 115-125 after shipping and taxes so that would be ~$130 for the psu.
Unless you're rocking more than one video card, not sure why you'd need an 850W PSU...

It's not a bad deal though. Assuming you have to get a case and PSU anyway.

1-D_FTW

Looks like an awesome monitor for the price, I forgot to mention I'm looking for a 24" monitor. The 24" inch model of that monitor is a 16:9 ratio (1920x1080)

That's a lot of missing pixels since I'm used to my 24" Samsung 1920x1200, I've had it since 2007 but I'd like to get a monitor pretty much the same but 120hz and not 60hz

All the 120hz monitors out there are capped at 1080P. You'll have to decide which is more important to you.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The 79xx price drops have already happened, however its likely that when the 670 or whatever Nvidia has up its sleeves right now for the mid range market is announced/hits the 78xx series cards will drop.

I purchased a 7870 last week however the next day my local retailer had the 7950 for 30 dollars more, so I returned the 7870 for the 7950.

If you want to buy right now, I see no reason not to get the 7950 over the 7870 the price difference is too little to really recommend a midrange offering from AMD.

My .02, Hazaro might have a different opinion.
That's right on the dot. I'd personally wait for the 670 since it'll be a great card. Just comes down to price and what nVidia is willing to play against AMD.
A 7950 if you plan to overclock it now that the limiter is gone is a fantastic value.
Also I think my x6 1055t is probably going to be bottle necking my 7950 in the future, I havent been on the intel platform in quite a few years, for primarly gaming what is the best route to go with right now?

Still the i5 2500k? or should I be looking at something else?

Although it seems like an awful lot of money to spend for what could potentially be a marginal upgrade, mostly due to the fact that I have a stable OC on my X6 at 3.9 ghz and it's running smoothly.....arggghh decisions decisions.
Yup, bang for buck is still 2500K even with Ivy out. There's not going to be any real changes until next generation so you can stick it out or go Intel now.
Ok so I got windows to boot and did the Prime95 and CUPID test and the maximum my CPU speed would go up to is 3.7gHz. I checked my bios and the active/proposed speed is at 4.5gHz. What else do I need to do?
Double check your settings got saved and it didn't reset/failboot to default?

Raide

Is there much difference between a regular 560ti and a 560ti GTX ?

Thought my 8800GT started working again and it ran for about 1/2 hour and utterly died. :D

Edit for mroe thought:

Current spec is...
i3-2100
4Gb RAM
1tb Sata HDD.

Its a pretty basic spec and the 8800gt died. Looking for a budget replacement for that dead card. I don't game a massive amount but it would be nice to have a card that can run stuff. Just got into the FireFall Beta, so something that runs that. Max res I run is about 1600x1200, usually less since my monitor is a bit grumpy sometimes.

Budget about £100

Yeah, no, considering something that by all accounts doesn't exist is probably a bad idea. Considering alternatives that are known and proven first may be a better one.

Well that is your stance on the matter and you are entitled to it.

Others apparently disagree with you and are similarly entitled to do so.

I merely raised it for the consideration [or not] of the GAFer who I was responding to so they make decide for themselves if it has any relevance to them, or not.

It makes no difference to me. I was just trying to be helpful.

Unless you're rocking more than one video card, not sure why you'd need an 850W PSU...

It's not a bad deal though. Assuming you have to get a case and PSU anyway.

Thanks, I guess I'll skip and save some cash grabbing a 550 or 650 watt. Still formulating a full computer but I doubt I'll go past 1 card for the gpu.

LordAlu

Is there much difference between a regular 560ti and a 560ti GTX ?

Thought my 8800GT started working again and it ran for about 1/2 hour and utterly died. :D

Edit for mroe thought:

Current spec is...
i3-2100
4Gb RAM
1tb Sata HDD.

Its a pretty basic spec and the 8800gt died. Looking for a budget replacement for that dead card. I don't game a massive amount but it would be nice to have a card that can run stuff. Just got into the FireFall Beta, so something that runs that. Max res I run is about 1600x1200, usually less since my monitor is a bit grumpy sometimes.

Budget about £100
How about this? -> Asus HD 6850 or Sapphire HD 6850.

Hey guys, so I think I'm going to do an upgrade (nothing drastic!) and then have my girl buy some parts to complete my old PC so we both have desktops.

What I plan to keep in the system:

HDD
6870 1Gb
650W Power Supply
DVD RW Drive

What I want to upgrade to (after looking over specs and such and trying to stay under $400)

PCStuff.jpg

Any thoughts? I do want to keep it under $400 and reading the thread it seems the newer chips that are coming out will work on the Z68 correct?

mkenyon

Banned
Damn the 3930K is expensive in canada. DAMN YOU IVY BRIDGE BE MORE AWESOME!
Get out of my mind! I'm going back and forth between going X79 and 3820 and Z77 and 2600K right now.
Hey guys, so I think I'm going to do an upgrade (nothing drastic!) and then have my girl buy some parts to complete my old PC so we both have desktops.

HDD
6870 1Gb
650W Power Supply
DVD RW Drive

What I want to upgrade to (after looking over specs and such and trying to stay under $400)
Looks good!

*EDIT*
Corsair Force 3 240GB SSD for $230. That's less than $1:GB.

LordAlu

Looks good. Where do they sit compared to 550ti's?

Also, do you think it will be worth waiting for the 670's to arrive and see if the price drops?
They beat the 550Ti, definitely. As for the 670 cards dropping prices, it's not really gonna make a difference to be honest.

BTW, CCL have the MSI HD 6850 for £85 right now if you want to save a bit of money? Not many left though!

Raide

They beat the 550Ti, definitely. As for the 670 cards dropping prices, it's not really gonna make a difference to be honest.

BTW, CCL have the MSI HD 6850 for £85 right now if you want to save a bit of money? Not many left though!

OK. Thank for the link. That is a pretty good bargain. So tempting!

Got a question for you guys:

My AMD CPU is an absolute turd, so I need to upgrade to intel (already have 8gb of ram and a GTX 570) however I'm not sure if I should go with the new gen MOBO's and an i7 or get the older MOBO with an i5. I thought about the i7 2600k with the ASRock X79 Extreme6, however I'm sure if the i7 2600k is even supported fully?

My other option would be the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 with an i5 2500k. The price difference is rather large and I'm just not sure. How long would the i5 last me? Should I go with the newer mobo for support of the new processors coming out?

Sethos

Banned
Got a question for you guys:

My AMD CPU is an absolute turd, so I need to upgrade to intel (already have 8gb of ram and a GTX 570) however I'm not sure if I should go with the new gen MOBO's and an i7 or get the older MOBO with an i5. I thought about the i7 2600k with the ASRock X79 Extreme6, however I'm sure if the i7 2600k is even supported fully?

The 2600k is LGA 1155, x79 boards are LGA 2011.

Sethos

Banned
I knew I was missing something. Would it be bad to go with an i5 2500k? How long would something like that last me before it becomes a bottleneck?

The 2500k is an excellent CPU, it'll overclock to 4.5 by changing one number in BIOS, definitely won't be a bottleneck unless you start going with insane SLI rigs.

Trey

Your Current Specs: N/A
Budget: ~700-800 USD, USA.
Main Use: Gaming (5), Video Editing (3), general usage (5)
Monitor Resolution: This is my monitor.
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Guild Wars 2
When will you build?: As soon as possible, preferably within the week, but I will sacrifice time for quality.
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, mostly likely. I want to learn how to get the most out of my machine therefore I want something flexible and rather upgradable.

I need a dedicated machine for myself because school is ramping up and a PC game I really want to play is right on the horizon. I have little experience building computers, and none OC and maximizing, but am willing to cut my teeth on this first machine. I'm doing plenty of my own research but I figured it couldn't help to get outside opinions and knowledgeable advice.

mkenyon

Banned
Questions
2500K is still amazing. You'll want a P67/Z68/Z77 board to use it, not X79 as was pointed out.

Your RAM is compatible. DDR3 @ 1.5V is pretty much all you need to worry about.

Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor?
When will you build?: As soon as possible, preferably within the week, but I will sacrifice time for quality.
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, mostly likely. I want to learn how to get the most out of my machine therefore I want something flexible and rather upgradable.

I need a dedicated machine for myself because school is ramping up and a PC game I really want to play is right on the horizon. I have little experience building computers, and none OC and maximizing, but am willing to cut my teeth on this first machine. I'm doing plenty of my own research but I figured it couldn't help to get outside opinions and knowledgeable advice.
Enhanced build, but swap in the 2600K for Video Editing if you can afford it.

LordAlu

Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor?

Do you already have a monitor of some sort and keyboard/mouse/speakers etc?

The 2500k is an excellent CPU, it'll overclock to 4.5 by changing one number in BIOS, definitely won't be a bottleneck unless you start going with insane SLI rigs.

Can you elaborate on this? I ended up going with the 2500k and the Asus Z68 board. What do I change in BIOS to do this? The processor arrives tomorrow.

Sethos

Banned
Can you elaborate on this? I ended up going with the 2500k and the Asus Z68 board. What do I change in BIOS to do this? The processor arrives tomorrow.

It's a matter of changing the multiplier. Google your board + overclocking or something about the multiplier, you'll get plenty of information on how to do it. However, make sure you have a decent cooler - Some people do this on Stock but I wouldn't want to overclock on a stock cooler.

EDIT:

or this

Link to OC guide in the 'Race Your PC' thread.

Kit Airwave

Neo Member

HDD
6870 1Gb
650W Power Supply
DVD RW Drive

PCStuff.jpg

Any thoughts? I do want to keep it under $400 and reading the thread it seems the newer chips that are coming out will work on the Z68 correct?

I own that MoBo; it's not bad. My only real beef with it is that it has no front-side usb 3.0.

Shining

Hello thread,

Looking to replace my GPU. Do you think my CPU will bottleneck a GTX 680? Maybe a GTX 670 will do? Will be doing a lot of 3D gaming using Tridef and such.

Current specs:
QX9650 Quad @3,7GHZ (Socket 775 PCIE 1.1)
8GB DDR2 RAM
Radeon 5770 1GB
Win7 x64
550w PSU

mkenyon

Banned
Hello thread,

Looking to replace my GPU. Do you think my CPU will bottleneck a GTX 680? Maybe a GTX 670 will do? Will be doing a lot of 3D gaming using Tridef and such.

Current specs:
QX9650 Quad @3,7GHZ (Socket 775 PCIE 1.1)
8GB DDR2 RAM
Radeon 5770 1GB
Win7 x64
550w PSU
Bottlenecks in instances like this aren't a hard and fast thing. I mean, you will get more performance undoubtedly, but you won't get as much performance as you would with a new proc. Is your motherboard PCI-E 1.0 or 2.0?

Ledsen

Well that is your stance on the matter and you are entitled to it.

Others apparently disagree with you and are similarly entitled to do so.

I merely raised it for the consideration [or not] of the GAFer who I was responding to so they make decide for themselves if it has any relevance to them, or not.

It makes no difference to me. I was just trying to be helpful.

It's not really a stance, just stating the fact that since there is no scientific evidence for it being a real disorder, considering it as an alternative is probably not a very good idea.

It's not really a stance, just stating the fact that since there is no scientific evidence for it being a real disorder, considering it as an alternative is probably not a very good idea.

Well that is up to the individual to decide.

Those who believe in this being an issue no doubt feel that there is scientific evidence to back up their stance.

I'm sure the poster who I originally replied to can make up their own mind what they want to make of it. I have no axe to grind one way or the other.

Was running out of space so looked online for HDDs.

I bought my current 640 GB WD6400AAKS for $70 back in Jan 2009.

Even a 1TB green drive is at $140 + shipping?

Edit: Ok, looks like the caviar greens are $100. Black is $140.

I have an i5 2500k with an AsRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 MB & Hyper Cooler Evo. I overclocked it to 4.3ghz and it's running at the max temp of 51C & vcore voltage is 1.286 pulling 79W using prime95. It's that okay? Anything else I need to watch for? Not really looking to go higher, I was reading my board has some problems at 4.5ghz and above.

I'm just overclocking before the GTX 680 comes in, will I see any noticeable benefits in games by overclocking the cpu? I guess more is always helpful right? One more thing, have a 550w PSU, overclocking and running a 680 is fine? Thanks.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
570 GTX for $250. Ahh the wait for a 670 is hard.

Wish there was some sort of benchmark so i could know if i should just buy this 570 or not.

Was running out of space so looked online for HDDs.

I bought my current 640 GB WD6400AAKS for $70 back in Jan 2009.

Even a 1TB green drive is at $140 + shipping?

Edit: Ok, looks like the caviar greens are $100. Black is $140.

You missed the stories about the massive floods in Thailand. Pretty much everyone manufactured HDs there so supply was constrained and prices went through the roof.

You missed the stories about the massive floods in Thailand. Pretty much everyone manufactured HDs there so supply was constrained and prices went through the roof.

Well, it has been 6 months+ since the floods and I had assumed that the factories would have been back up and running. Any news on when the manufacturing plants go back to full production?

Looks like a friend is looking to sell his HDD, I might just buy that. $40 for WD Caviar Green 1TB.

mkenyon

Banned
Well that is up to the individual to decide.

Those who believe in this being an issue no doubt feel that there is scientific evidence to back up their stance.
Totally off topic, but science isn't subjective. Pet peeve of mine to use those kinds of words with empiricism.
I'm just overclocking before the GTX 680 comes in, will I see any noticeable benefits in games by overclocking the cpu? I guess more is always helpful right? One more thing, have a 550w PSU, overclocking and running a 680 is fine? Thanks.
Yeah, game by game basis for sure.

1-D_FTW

Well, it has been 6 months+ since the floods and I had assumed that the factories would have been back up and running. Any news on when the manufacturing plants go back to full production?

Looks like a friend is looking to sell his HDD, I might just buy that. $40 for WD Caviar Green 1TB.

The much bigger issue was Samsung and Hitachi were divided up and purchased by WD and Seagate. There's only two manufacturers left. This happened right around that time and they've used that cover as a convenient excuse to hide their fingerprints on what's really happening. Less competition = higher prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom