• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky_R

Posting again for new page. Any help will be appreciated.

Ok guys. I want to see what should I change or upgrade in order to be able to play current and upcoming technically demanding games at 60fps without sacrificing much of the other stuff. I don't want/need for it to run the game at maximum without hiccups, I just want to be able to run the game as smooth as possible at high or even medium, but with AA, etc.

Here are my specs. I tried to look for as much detail about it as possible.

PC: HP Pavilion p6140f
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, 2333 MHz
CPU Type: 2x Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2333 MHz
RAM: 8GB of DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 (non-ECC)
VIDEO CARD: ATI Radeon HD 5670 Graphics
POWER SUPPLY: Thermaltake 430w

Hope the info is enough. Thanks in advance.

sk3tch

Well that convinces me. I guess I'm getting two more asus vg236h's. I don't need light boost anyway I hardly use 3D.

Are you happy with them? I'm considering alternatives now. I ordered a replacement monitor last night. Waiting to hear back on my RMA. I have like 10 days left to return my other two (that have no dead pixels) in case I just want to reset.

I'd prefer 2nd gen stuff if only because they're a bit brighter. I'm no IQ snob but man, my Acer GD235hz is damn dark (in comparison to the BenQ). But otherwise I've loved by GD235hz.

I'm also thinking about getting the 27" ASUS 2nd gen 120hz monitor to game on and just buying two "utility" monitors. But I do love surround...

There just aren't enough 120hz options out there!

scogoth

Are you happy with them? I'm considering alternatives now. I ordered a replacement monitor last night. Waiting to hear back on my RMA. I have like 10 days left to return my other two (that have no dead pixels) in case I just want to reset.

I'd prefer 2nd gen stuff if only because they're a bit brighter. I'm no IQ snob but man, my Acer GD235hz is damn dark (in comparison to the BenQ). But otherwise I've loved by GD235hz.

I'm also thinking about getting the 27" ASUS 2nd gen 120hz monitor to game on and just buying two "utility" monitors. But I do love surround...

Yeah well only crazies like us seem to have the 120hz buying frenzy. I'm love the monitor I have now. I do wish it was 27in but if I go surround thats not really an issue anymore. I seems that all 2nd gen 2d vision monitors have issues but I think asus has got theres figured out. The first gen model is bright enough in 2D mode but could be a lot brighter in 3D mode.

sk3tch

Yeah well only crazies like us seem to have the 120hz buying frenzy. I'm love the monitor I have now. I do wish it was 27in but if I go surround thats not really an issue anymore. I seems that all 2nd gen 2d vision monitors have issues but I think asus has got theres figured out. The first gen model is bright enough in 2D mode but could be a lot brighter in 3D mode.

Yeah I think I've played in 3D for like 30 minutes of my entire life. Haha. It's cool but not worth the 50% performance hit. 2D/120hz FTW.

Well, I will keep working with BenQ. I've got AMEX behind me in case they pull anything. So far, so good. Just pissed at the process.

Hmm. Its a little similar but ticks in a different pattern, putting my ear to the board it sounds like the PSU/CPU. I'll do an HDD check just in case but I think I'm good there. Interesting vid though, thanks.

Fake edit: I sprayed compressed air into the psu and moved some wires around randomely and the ticking seems to have went away for now...please be gone.

just to update, this ticking noise in my pc goes away when I give the tower a nice thump....So it can't be a harddrive. Don't know what it could be but I don't want to hit my PC anymore lol.

Ivy Bridge reviews are coming in less than an hour, but so far it's ~180 for a 2500K and ~240 for 3570K. I can't really decide for one. :/

Snookie

Ivy Bridge reviews are coming in less than an hour, but so far it's ~180 for a 2500K and ~240 for 3570K. I can't really decide for one. :/

I'm in the same boat. I wont use the integrated graphics so i'm wondering if can i justify the price. Plus it seems its much easier to overclock the 2500 if you are into that sort of thing.

mkenyon

Banned
Will a AMD Phenom II X4 955 (3.2) bottleneck a 7970?
Yes.

This is really strange, as I asked all my buddies who I bought some for if they were having issues. Zero problems, nothing like what you've described either.

You can always take a look at the Samsung 750/900 series. I love mine, just hate the stand.
Posting again for new page. Any help will be appreciated.

Ok guys. I want to see what should I change or upgrade in order to be able to play current and upcoming technically demanding games at 60fps without sacrificing much of the other stuff. I don't want/need for it to run the game at maximum without hiccups, I just want to be able to run the game as smooth as possible at high or even medium, but with AA, etc.

Here are my specs. I tried to look for as much detail about it as possible.
You can't go anywhere without a full motherboard/proc/RAM upgrade really. The other part that makes this tough is that you have no overclocking options because it's probably a locked off to all hell HP proprietary motherboard. You can get a new GPU if you want, I have no idea how the performance will be though.
just to update, this ticking noise in my pc goes away when I give the tower a nice thump....So it can't be a harddrive. Don't know what it could be but I don't want to hit my PC anymore lol.
Stop each fan in your computer with your finger when you hear it. When it stops, then you know which one it is. Though really, it still might be your HDD.

I'm in the same boat. I wont use the integrated graphics so i'm wondering if can i justify the price. Plus it seems its much easier to overclock the 2500 if you are into that sort of thing.
AMD fusion still the way to go if you want integrated graphics. When you overclock your processor and RAM, you are overclocking your GPU at the same time. Trinity should be out soon as well.

Ricky_R

You can't go anywhere without a full motherboard/proc/RAM upgrade really. The other part that makes this tough is that you have no overclocking options because it's probably a locked off to all hell HP proprietary motherboard. You can get a new GPU if you want, I have no idea how the performance will be though.

I figured it was going to be that, but I wanted to be sure. I don't think another GPU upgrade will be enough.

What mobo/proc/ram combo would you recommend me? At a good price?

mkenyon

Banned
I figured it was going to be that, but I wanted to be sure. I don't think another GPU upgrade will be enough.

What mobo/proc/ram combo would you recommend me? At a good price?
Check the OP, pick what you can afford. Though, wait a few days as the replacement processors for what is listed in the OP are out today.

From the Xbitlabs review:

In any case, the frequency potential of the new Ivy Bridge processors turned out to be below our expectations. We didn’t manage to overclock them even to the same heights as the previous-generation Sandy Bridge. So, we can state that the overclocking potential of the newcomers has become worse, which may have been caused by the reduction of the geometrical die size of the new Ivy Bridge. Its overall size is 25% smaller than the Sandy Bridge die, and the computational cores have become only half the size of the Sandy Bridge cores. However, contemporary approach to processor die cooling doesn’t allow increasing the heat flow density in equal proportion, which causes local overheating of some parts of the processor cores during overclocking. High operational CPU core frequencies indirectly confirm that this problem indeed exists, although the processor cooler remained practically cold in this case.

As a result, it looks like even after the launch of the new Ivy Bridge the title of the best enthusiast platform will go to LGA 2011. These processors not only boast additional features that allow overclocking them by simply raising the BCLK frequency, but also boast better overclocking potential. However, if the LGA 2011 platform seems financially out of reach, then the old Sandy Bridge processors may present a worthy alternative to Ivy Bridge. Especially, since they do not fall too far behind the newcomers working at the same clock speeds in computational performance.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-3770k-i5-3570k_9.html#sect0

Looks like I waited for nothing.

Sethos

Banned
This is making my next project choice so fricken difficult.

Z77 + 2600K?
Z77 + 3770K?
X79 + 3820?

I recently started purchasing parts for my new build, opted for the 2011 socket and a 3930k, means I can upgrade to IB-E if I like. Plus the X79 boards are a bit more developed right now.

Oh and it was way easier to find an x79 board with 7 slots for my 3-slot SLI + Sound card build.

scogoth

You mean at least for the stuff that is awesome and not lame? :p

Yes!

I think I'm going to wait till some crazies get their hands on retail parts and OC them till they fry and see where IB lands. If not SB-E here I come!

I'm also not very impressed with the Z77 boards, no real high end stuff. The maximus formula is damn close if they had more and better 16x slots.

Sethos

Banned
Why the need for x16 slots on PCI-E 3.0?

We've actually reached a point where current high-end cards in SLI and beyond setups will bottleneck on anything less in high resolution.

It's one of the primary reason why I stuck with 2011 as well, full bandwidth support for my SLI setup.

Smokey

Still going to keep an eye out for IB when that Maximus V Formula Z77 launches. I'm also a bit reluctant to upgrade as it seems I have a really good 2600k. Currently running it at 4.6ghz @ 1.27v.

Tried upping it to 4.7ghz and 1.3v and I was getting the wonderful BSOD 124 error. Want to mess with it some more as I'm positive I can get that speed and then some.

I'm in the same boat. And IB seems to be disappointing. I feel like IB is a George Lucas Prequel to SB.

What a wonderful way to put it :lol

I'm still on the fence. 2500K is a good bit cheaper than the 3570K (about 60 less), but I kinda want new tech! And I'd buy a Z77 board anyway (the Maximus V is only few bucks more expensive than the IV, but still has some bugs *ugh*).

scogoth

Why the need for x16 slots on PCI-E 3.0?

The ASUS memory stuff is pretty rad with Z77, IMO.

Its not the bandwidth, its the physical slots. I want to do tri SLI but not with stupid slot layout, I want them evenly spaced. Especially for the water block bridge having 3 space then 2 space would look bad.

mkenyon

Banned
We've actually reached a point where current high-end cards in SLI and beyond setups will bottleneck on anything less in high resolution.

It's one of the primary reason why I stuck with 2011 as well, full bandwidth support for my SLI setup.
That was with PCI-E 2.0 at x8. PCI-E 3.0 at x8 = PCI-E 2.0 at x16.

Smokey

Speaking of SLI setups. How much am I being hurt by my 580s running at x8/x8? Would there be a noticeable difference if they were running at x16/x16 if I moved to X79?

mkenyon

Banned

Shambles

Well, 16x / 8x / 8x / 8x

In any case, we've still reached a point where PCI 2.0 can be a bottleneck for high end setups.

We're not even close to that point. This is how interconnect progress is supposed to happen. The new interconnects deploy before the gear that can use them. Seeing how SATA has been holding back technology is frustrating. I'm glad PCI-E is doing it right seeing as how SSDs are going to move there anyways.

Sethos

Banned
You're not at all.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1537816&mpage=2&print=true

Quick search I did. I swear it was x8.

Was thinking about that guy testing on his quad SLI setup, can't find it on google right now. He's testing on a card that is already using a pretty lowly bus width but obviously still in some pretty big resolutions and 4 cards. But what when upcoming cards with a 512 bus will suddenly move a ton more data, then you might even see similar bottlenecks on smaller arrays?

Perhaps that's just my logic failing me. In any case, 2011, 1155, everything is PCI Express 3, so no worries.

What a wonderful way to put it :lol

I'm still on the fence. 2500K is a good bit cheaper than the 3570K (about 60 less), but I kinda want new tech! And I'd buy a Z77 board anyway (the Maximus V is only few bucks more expensive than the IV, but still has some bugs *ugh*).

I'm having the same dilemma between the processors. Still undecided. The reviews for Ivy Bridge look like there is very little difference in speed. I'm also debating if I should go with a 3770K or 2600K. Is there any use or advantage to the extra 2MB L3 or hyperthreading? Outside of transcoding video or image processing I can't see it, at least definitely not for gaming. Is it worth an extra ~$100?

Deadstar

Can you guys recommend the most reliable brand or model for an external esata hard drive? I'm looking for a 1 TB. NewEgg has a bunch of Fantom Drives but a lot of people are posting about the drives dying and it's scaring me.

Gonna be awhile, since PCI-E SSDs are mostly for enterprise. Many of the SATAIII drives with sync/toggle are really good still, so we're good for now.

I'm curious how well that Lucid vsync i/dGPU solution works, because that could be a plus for IB. Hopefully there will be steppings for the new cpus that will take care of the heat issue. (Do steppings apply only for mobos, or also cpus?)

mkenyon

Banned
I'm having the same dilemma between the processors. Still undecided. The reviews for Ivy Bridge look like there is very little difference in speed. I'm also debating if I should go with a 3770K or 2600K. Is there any use or advantage to the extra 2MB L3 or hyperthreading? Outside of transcoding video or image processing I can't see it, at least definitely not for gaming. Is it worth an extra ~$100?
Streaming and games that can take advantage of that many threads, such as Civ V.
Do non-K models allow for undervolting?
That's all on the motherboard, so yes.
Can you guys recommend the most reliable brand or model for an external esata hard drive? I'm looking for a 1 TB. NewEgg has a bunch of Fantom Drives but a lot of people are posting about the drives dying and it's scaring me.
No such thing. They all pretty much put their worst drives in external enclosures. If reliability is very important to you, get a NAS bay. Otherwise, you could get a Caviar Black or Samsung Spinpoint F3 and put it in a custom external enclosure.

RedSwirl

Holy shit GAF. You think this might have something to do with my GPU heat issues?

The white stuff is dust after about a years use in case you can't tell. My problem is that compressed air doesn't seem to be getting it out. All It does is spin the fan, and I'm afraid to shoot the air with the nozzel too close to the card. Is there anything else I can use?

mbWn9.jpg

JdFoX187

Banned
I have a strange issue. I installed my GTX 680 and plugged it into my HDTV with an HDMI. It looks aesome, don't get me wrong. I would ay a good three or four inches around each side of the screen are missing. It's like the picture is zoomed in too much. I checked the settings on my TV and it's fine and I've tried tampering with settings in the display menu on the PC, but can't figure it out. Anyone have any ideas?

mkenyon

Banned
I have a strange issue. I installed my GTX 680 and plugged it into my HDTV with an HDMI. It looks aesome, don't get me wrong. I would ay a good three or four inches around each side of the screen are missing. It's like the picture is zoomed in too much. I checked the settings on my TV and it's fine and I've tried tampering with settings in the display menu on the PC, but can't figure it out. Anyone have any ideas?
Mess with overscan/underscan stuff in the Nvidia controls.
Holy shit GAF. You think this might have something to do with my GPU heat issues?

The white stuff is dust after about a years use in case you can't tell. My problem is that compressed air doesn't seem to be getting it out. All It does is spin the fan, and I'm afraid to shoot the air with the nozzel too close to the card. Is there anything else I can use?
Pull the card out, put the nozzle right on top of the heatsink and blow to your heart's content. Try your hardest to not move the fan, that can actually break the fan. You could tape it in place with masking tape.

Metro Vacuum Electric Duster.

Accept no substitute. :p

RedSwirl

Pull the card out, put the nozzle right on top of the heatsink and blow to your heart's content. Try your hardest to not move the fan, that can actually break the fan. You could tape it in place with masking tape.

SHIT. The card's stuck in the PCI slot! The left edge won't come out. I think I see a clamp holding it in but I can't reach it and can't move it. The card is stuck halfway in now.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Question : will an SLI setup with 1 potentially broken gpu still result in gpu related crashes and reboots if SLI is disabled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom