• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSwirl

Also, I'm trying to clean the main fan but I need to disconnect the heat sink's cable from the mobo, and it's not coming out.

arit

If one would want to buy a gpu within HD8650 price range, would there be any sense in waiting 1-2 months or are there only pricier ones coming out in that time frame?

1-D_FTW

Not at all. That stuff is crazy sturdy, you'd be surprised how much of a beating it can take.

Yeah. The only thing that would ever break is the plastic clamp on the motherboard. I had that happen on an old motherboard. But it was zero issue at all. All it meant was that it was easier to pull a GPU card. Properly mounted, a GPU isn't going anywhere even with that plastic thing broken off the motherboard.

RedSwirl

You've got to be shitting me. Dusting off the GPU alone is getting me a good 10C difference in temp. Now it's sitting between 35 and 40C when idle. Is that still hot?

mkenyon

Banned
You've got to be shitting me. Dusting off the GPU alone is getting me a good 10C difference in temp. Now it's sitting between 35 and 38C when idle. Is that still hot?
Nope. Idle doesn't really mean a whole lot though. As long as it is staying below 90C during load, you're totally fine.
ok, neither card shows any errors running 15min OCCT yet together in Sli I get random crashes, mobo fucked?
Make sure you try every possible combination. Lets say GPU A and GPU B, Slot 1 and Slot 2.

A in 1
A in 2
B in 1
B in 2
A in 1 with B in 2
A in 2 with B in 1

I'm having the same dilemma between the processors. Still undecided. The reviews for Ivy Bridge look like there is very little difference in speed. I'm also debating if I should go with a 3770K or 2600K. Is there any use or advantage to the extra 2MB L3 or hyperthreading? Outside of transcoding video or image processing I can't see it, at least definitely not for gaming. Is it worth an extra ~$100?

The most interesting bit that IB has for me, would be native USB 3.0 support. I kinda want that for the sake of having it, even though I don't use or have any peripheral that would take advantage of it. Other than that I realize I have very little reason to get the more expensive successor. Maybe it's different in a month or two, when the launch hype is over and the prices for IB go down a little.

YoungMoney

Do you guys think this will be good enough for next gen?
Intel I7 2600k
16gbRam 1600mhz
Evga GTX560Ti
Asus P8Z68-V

Think i might have to upgrade the graphic card.

1-D_FTW

Do you guys think this will be good enough for next gen?
Intel I7 2600k
16gbRam 1600mhz
Evga GTX560Ti
Asus P8Z68-V

Think i might have to upgrade the graphic card.

The GPU absolutely won't be. Not if you're expecting ports to run 1080P/60fps.

The CPU no one can predict for you. There's a good chance it may, but until we truly know what MS has in-store, it's impossible to say with certainty.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Cross posting:

Main points:
4.4Ghz on ~1.10V seems to be norm, any higher is hard or gets super hot and draws tons of power. Much worse than SB.
About 5% faster roughly for easy numbers
No idle wattage savings, ok load savings

*Useful:
AR0CR.png

mkenyon

Banned
The most interesting bit that IB has for me, would be native USB 3.0 support. I kinda want that for the sake of having it, even though I don't use or have any peripheral that would take advantage of it. Other than that I realize I have very little reason to get the more expensive successor. Maybe it's different in a month or two, when the launch hype is over and the prices for IB go down a little.
I keep seeing this, but I dont get it. Its not Ivy that has native USB 3.0 support, Z77 does. But even outside of that, what benefits are there other than maybe marginally better transfer speeds compared to the third party contollers on P67/Z68?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
So I've had my new PC (custom built) for about eight months now.

Are there any utilities I can run to make sure everything is up to date (drivers and all that)?

Varna

So I've had my new PC (custom built) for about eight months now.

Are there any utilities I can run to make sure everything is up to date (drivers and all that)?

Just worry about keeping your graphic card updated. If everything else is running smooth don't go looking for new bios updates for your MB or anything like that.

Hero

Hey guys, are Hazaro's PC builds in the OP up to date?

I posted in this thread before because I was going to build a new PC but got out of PC gaming for a while so never pulled the trigger. With Diablo III coming out next month it is absolutely imperative I have a PC to play it on decently.

I already have an i5 2500 processor so the biggest thing I want to look into now is the GPU. Will a GTX460 do well enough for Diablo III on decent/high settings? Is it worth it to go up to a GTX560 Ti 448?

In addition if there's any sales or deals on some nice GPU's or other components that'd be great.

Thanks a bunch.

Le-mo

Gaf, can someone give me the overclock configurations for the i5 2500K @4.5gHz on the Intel DP67GB Mobo? I've never oc'd before so I'm afraid to do it by myself. Google was of no help.

kennah

I posted in this thread before because I was going to build a new PC but got out of PC gaming for a while so never pulled the trigger. With Diablo III coming out next month it is absolutely imperative I have a PC to play it on decently.

I already have an i5 2500 processor so the biggest thing I want to look into now is the GPU. Will a GTX460 do well enough for Diablo III on decent/high settings? Is it worth it to go up to a GTX560 Ti 448?

In addition if there's any sales or deals on some nice GPU's or other components that'd be great.

Thanks a bunch.

Generally they are, but with the new cpus releasing at the end of the week, you're better waiting until next week when all the information is in.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Thanks a bunch.
460 more than enough for D3. It's a great performing card across all titles with good settings, but fill out the OP sheet.

nA2Jj.jpg

4/19/2012: I'll be doing a big update when 670 stuff, Ivy, and and 7xxx price drops happen at the end of the month (April). Keep posting in the thread until then.
Gaf, can someone give me the overclock configurations for the i5 2500K @4.5gHz on the Intel DP67GB Mobo? I've never oc'd before so I'm afraid to do it by myself. Google was of no help.
There is a guide in the OP, you can also ask in the bench thread.
1.30V - 4.4Ghz and work by tweaking from there.

Hero

Yeah, will do, kind of comparing and contrasting everything now. Want to get it done within the next week or so. Thanks again everyone, will check in soon.

maks

Thanks a bunch.

I played D3 beta with all high settings, 1920x1080 resolution (on my panasonic 50in plasma).

Asus Z68 pro/gen3 (returning this for my Asus Maximus V gene Z77)
Radeon 5850

gate777

Finished with my build. Final specs

• CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K
  • Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68 V-Gen 3
  • Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
  • Ram: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB (2x4GB)
  • Case: Cooler Master HAF 912
  • HDD: WD 500GB SATA III
  • Optical drive: LG DVD-RW
  • Monitor: ASUS 22" HD LED
  • Power Supply: Cooler Master eXtreme Power plus 600w

It's a beast! Windows installed in less than 5 minutes. GPU will come later in time for Diablo 3 and Baldurs Gate remakes

RedSwirl

Jesus. I guess the dust really was the problem with my GPU temps. I just didn't take a close enough look last time I examined it. Under load there's like a 20-30C difference from before.

Modern Warfare 3 used to run my computer to 85C, now it never goes above 65C. The Witcher 2 used to go up past 100C, I just tried it now and the game never went above 74C. The fan is also MUCH quieter now at the same intensities as before.

Hawk269

Yes!

I think I'm going to wait till some crazies get their hands on retail parts and OC them till they fry and see where IB lands. If not SB-E here I come!

I'm also not very impressed with the Z77 boards, no real high end stuff. The maximus formula is damn close if they had more and better 16x slots.

The Evga Z77 board seems to be really nice and Asus WS version seems very good as well. Other than that, also not impressed with the Mobo's for Z77.

Le-mo

There is a guide in the OP, you can also ask in the bench thread.
1.30V - 4.4Ghz and work by tweaking from there.
I just tried doing them a few times and I couldn't get windows to load so I went back to the default settings. I read the guide in the OP so I thought I was doing it correctly, but I guess not. Already asked for help in the bench thread so here's hoping.

hyduK

Banned
Looks like I'll probably just go with a 2500k. My CPU really needs an upgrade, using an old Core 2 Duo. My video card/PSU blew out about a year back, so I had replaced them with a 460GTX and an OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W.

Now, I think I'll hold off on getting my video card, probably for the 660's (any idea when these are to be released?), but is it a safe assumption that my PSU won't be good enough for a 660? I'd rather get that out of the way when I do the initial build, just so I don't have to take everything apart again when I get the GPU.

Gritesh

I have an x6 1055t that I have overclocked to 3.9 ghz with 8 gigs of ram and a 7950 3gb gpu.

Is it worth the 400 bucks to go to an i5 2500k or what should my next upgrade be? I have my OS installed on an ssd already too.

I was going to install another 8 gb of ram but it kills my oc stable to 3.5 ghz so I can't do that without sacrificing CPU power.

I'm not sure what I should do now?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I just tried doing them a few times and I couldn't get windows to load so I went back to the default settings. I read the guide in the OP so I thought I was doing it correctly, but I guess not. Already asked for help in the bench thread so here's hoping.
Bump the voltage to 1.35V then and see where you stand
I have an x6 1055t that I have overclocked to 3.9 ghz with 8 gigs of ram and a 7950 3gb gpu.

Is it worth the 400 bucks to go to an i5 2500k or what should my next upgrade be? I have my OS installed on an ssd already too.

I was going to install another 8 gb of ram but it kills my oc stable to 3.5 ghz so I can't do that without sacrificing CPU power.

I'm not sure what I should do now?
Well, why are you upgrading?

Caelus

Hey GAF,

relatively new to building PC's from purchased parts but I know how to dismantle and assemble one.

Could someone tell me if these parts will work well with each other?

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 LGA 1155 SATA 6Gbps USB 3.0 Supported Intel P67 ATX DDR3 2400 Motherboards P8P67 PRO <REV 3.1>
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case (RC-912-KKN1)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply Compatible with Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD platforms - CMPSU-650TXV2
Boot Drive: Samsung 830 - Series MZ-7PC064D/AM 64 GB 2.5 Inch SATA III MLC Internal SSD Desktop Kit with Norton Ghost 15
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3072 MB GDDR5 PCB PCI Express 2.0 2DVI/Mini-HDMI SLI Ready Limited Lifetime Warranty Graphics Card, 03G-P3-1584-AR
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8 GB PC3-12800 1600mhz 240-Pin DDR3 Dual Channel Memory Kit SDRAM CML8GX3M2A1600C9
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Processor

Price is not an issue, I just want to know if it will work.

mkenyon

Banned
Hey GAF,

relatively new to building PC's from purchased parts but I know how to dismantle and assemble one.

Could someone tell me if these parts will work well with each other?

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 LGA 1155 SATA 6Gbps USB 3.0 Supported Intel P67 ATX DDR3 2400 Motherboards P8P67 PRO <REV 3.1>
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case (RC-912-KKN1)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply Compatible with Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD platforms - CMPSU-650TXV2
Boot Drive: Samsung 830 - Series MZ-7PC064D/AM 64 GB 2.5 Inch SATA III MLC Internal SSD Desktop Kit with Norton Ghost 15
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3072 MB GDDR5 PCB PCI Express 2.0 2DVI/Mini-HDMI SLI Ready Limited Lifetime Warranty Graphics Card, 03G-P3-1584-AR
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8 GB PC3-12800 1600mhz 240-Pin DDR3 Dual Channel Memory Kit SDRAM CML8GX3M2A1600C9
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Processor

Price is not an issue, I just want to know if it will work.
Yep!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
You should be looking at a 680 or 7970 if you haven't bought unless that 580 is cheap (Doubt the 3GB one is). 670 should be launching in 1-3 weeks too.

Karmum

Banned
I already have an i5 2500 processor so the biggest thing I want to look into now is the GPU. Will a GTX460 do well enough for Diablo III on decent/high settings?
I have a GTX 460 (OC'd) and I'm getting at least 60 FPS no matter what in the D3 beta. It's probably a bit higher than that, too. You'll be good to go.

Karmum

Banned
I think my dumbest mistake in building my own (and first) gaming PC was buying a 256-bit video card for a video card that isn't easy to obtain...

I'm always iffy and buying stuff used or stuff from eBay, but the ASUS GTX 460 256-bit card went from like $129.99 "Very Good" from Amazon Warehouse Deals to like $115, and with Amazon Prime two day free shipping, it's too good to pass up. Happy early birthday.

Can't wait, this time the SLI will actually work.

The GPU absolutely won't be. Not if you're expecting ports to run 1080P/60fps.

The CPU no one can predict for you. There's a good chance it may, but until we truly know what MS has in-store, it's impossible to say with certainty.

Who knows how long it'll take for Intel to move beyond quad core for the mainstream, if they will to begin with.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Going to be build my first computer before grad school starts and I still have money, so obviously I came here first. The 932 build in the OP is pretty much exactly what I want, though I was going to buy a second card a year or so later for Crossfire (then I'd have to get a 750W I guess). Is the HAF 912 a suitable case for Crossfire? Is the 7870 a pretty sure bet? For reference, I'm upgrading from dual 4850's so I'm sure it would be huge comparatively. Also, was it here that I read that prices on ATI cards or something going down in a week or two? (edit: nevermind, found the mention of 7xxx price drops)

Thanks for the advice so far everyone. Guess I'll start with perhaps the easiest part...the case. Currently leaning towards either the Shinobi or Define R3 as both look plenty large in the mobo/GPU accommodation area.

Been kind of leaning towards the R3 (damn that Tested video link) but not gonna lie the $40 difference is also appealing for the shinobi.

Quick question for those who have tinkered with one or the other: The Shinobi expansion bays look like they are forward facing. Does the front panel come off for easier installation, because it looks like it could be annoying to modify once all the components are in.

Addendum: USB 3.0, how important is it? Looks like the R3 has the front USB 3.0 where the Shinobi only has 2.0.

Thanks.

Gritesh

Going to be build my first computer before grad school starts and I still have money, so obviously I came here first. The 932 build in the OP is pretty much exactly what I want, though I was going to buy a second card a year or so later for Crossfire (then I'd have to get a 750W I guess). Is the HAF 912 a suitable case for Crossfire? Is the 7870 a pretty sure bet? For reference, I'm upgrading from dual 4850's so I'm sure it would be huge comparatively. Also, was it here that I read that prices on ATI cards or something going down in a week or two? (edit: nevermind, found the mention of 7xxx price drops)

The 79xx price drops have already happened, however its likely that when the 670 or whatever Nvidia has up its sleeves right now for the mid range market is announced/hits the 78xx series cards will drop.

I purchased a 7870 last week however the next day my local retailer had the 7950 for 30 dollars more, so I returned the 7870 for the 7950.

If you want to buy right now, I see no reason not to get the 7950 over the 7870 the price difference is too little to really recommend a midrange offering from AMD.

My .02, Hazaro might have a different opinion.

Also I think my x6 1055t is probably going to be bottle necking my 7950 in the future, I havent been on the intel platform in quite a few years, for primarly gaming what is the best route to go with right now?

Still the i5 2500k? or should I be looking at something else?

Although it seems like an awful lot of money to spend for what could potentially be a marginal upgrade, mostly due to the fact that I have a stable OC on my X6 at 3.9 ghz and it's running smoothly.....arggghh decisions decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom