• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't felt this dumb in a long long time.

End of April bought a 2550k, 8gb samsung green ram, msi z77a-gd65, 256gb corsair performance pro ssd.

Mobo was a dud, had to go back. Second board ethernet didn't work, sent it back.

Got the third one today, ethernet again didn't work. Took it apart, realised I'd left 2 extra mobo risers attached to the case. They were shorting the ethernet out.

Theres a good chance the second mobo was fine too.

JonCha

Your GPU is secured into the motherboard, and should also be secured at the back of the case where the outputs are.

Motherboards nowadays are great bits of kit, if anything is wrongly connected it will flash a warning on an LED. Your PC won't blow up, and will only fry a circuitboard if you've done something really wrong, which I don't think you have.

1. Usually the motherboard has a 4pin female piece that the 3 pin connects to or vice versa.
    image002.jpg
  2. The GPU should be fairly secure if you've got it snapped into the motherboard and back of your case. You won't be attaching any extra weight to it, so it should be fine.
  3. Not likely. Usually if something isn't connected properly, the case fans will come on but nothing else. Or it just won't boot up.
  4. Not sure about the SATA connector. Might try swapping out the cable for a different one.

2. What do you mean? It should be completely secured from two directions: the main connector on the motherboard and the screw/screws you use to line up the ports that go out the back of the case.

3. Hehe :) It may not start, that's usually the worst that can happen if, say, something is shorting out.

4. Mine doesn't snap either. I don't care because it won't fall off unless I shake it move it violently.

Thanks everyone. Got the connectors in. Posted some photos below, so if anything looks dodgy let me know.

Also, the white seeds below the CPU cooler are spread out like a flower. That's right, right?

fwlCS.jpg

h6Fp3.jpg

HnNb2.jpg

XJpUu.jpg

wiQEU.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
I dont know what you mean by white seeds.

But, your HDD needs power. One cable for data, one for power.

Also, check out the OP for my post on cable management. Will help your computer stay clean and cool a lot longer. Those cables are like dust magnets.

JonCha

I dont know what you mean by white seeds.

But, your HDD needs power. One cable for data, one for power.

Also, check out the OP for my post on cable management. Will help your computer stay clean and cool a lot longer. Those cables are like dust magnets.

I mean the white prongs that come out the bottom of the case.

And thanks. I'm about to go asleep so can't look, but what does the HDD power lead look like?

mkenyon

Banned
Same L shaped connector, but just bigger. It comes out of your PSU, and there will most likely be 2 or 3 connectors on the same cable. In your picture, it would go on the connection below where you have the SATA cable plugged into.

Also, yeah. If the heatsink is on there tight, it's on there. Run a stress test with Prime 95 while monitoring temps with HWMonitor. Temps should be in the 70s.

*edit*
I just realized the third sentence might sound like jibberish. If so, links to the programs are in the OP. Download both and run both. Start stress test in Prime 95, and watch the Core temps in HWMonitor. Will say Core #0-4. The total average is what you want to consider.

number386

I have a couple of questions regarding my new rig.

1. I have the Gigabyte windforce OC gtx 670, stock OC is 1188mhz. I tested it all weekend and found the highest stable clock speed I can get is only 1252mhz (kinda sucks reviewers have consistantly gotten over 1300mhz, I saw one as high as 1330mhz. Looks like I lost the chip lottery =/) , the memory clock speed oc'd from 3000mhz to 3500mhz. Should I scale back the overclock and leave some overhead/buffer just in case?

2. How can I find my SSD temp? I dont see it anywhere in CPUID, it's an intel 330 SSD with 180gb capacity. The SSD sits on the bottom of my case right underneath my GPU that blows hot air on it, which is why I'm a bit worried.

Thanks in advance.

mkenyon

Banned
I have a couple of questions regarding my new rig.

1. I have the Gigabyte windforce OC gtx 670, stock OC is 1188mhz. I tested it all weekend and found the highest stable clock speed I can get is only 1252mhz (kinda sucks reviewers have consistantly gotten over 1300mhz, I saw one as high as 1330mhz. Looks like I lost the chip lottery =/) , the memory clock speed oc'd from 3000mhz to 3500mhz. Should I scale back the overclock and leave some overhead/buffer just in case?

2. How can I find my SSD temp? I dont see it anywhere in CPUID, it's an intel 330 SSD with 180gb capacity. The SSD sits on the bottom of my case right underneath my GPU that blows hot air on it, which is why I'm a bit worried.

Thanks in advance.
1. If it's stable in stress tests, don't worry about it. If you scale back the memory OC on it, you can probably get a higher stable core clock.

2. It never ever ever matters. *edit* Also, if it's below your GPU, then it's not blowing hot air it it. The GPU pulls from that area and exhausts horizontally.

tigerin

Well it looks to me like you'd be able to run most things at max settings, probably for quite a while. That would be very powerful machine, better than what I currently have and I can max out almost everything at above 60fps.

Btw, if you have a Microcenter in your area, they have some amazing deals on processors and motherboard combos right now, but they are in store only. If you go to their site and click on a product there is a store locator on the right hand side.

For example, you can get

This Quadcore 3.4GHZ Ivy Bridge Processor.

And if you buy it with this motherboard, you get the motherboard for a big discount.

That's a total of only around $75 more than the motherboard and processor you currently have and that processor is way, way better. You are going from a dual core processor to a quadcore and a new Ivy bridge that uses less energy for roughly the price of a new videogame.

However, if you don't have a Microcenter around you, I'd just go with one of the two combos I listed above. Both of those are quadcores too and would be a substantial increase.

damn, looks like florida doesn't have them. but still, if its run most current games smoothly for sub $700(upgrading parts as i go along is fine with me) then i think it a good price. i did some googling about custom built and it seems you need at least a $900 custom pc to handle some decent gaming. is that true?

Hawk269

Got some CPU Overclocking quesitons. On my MOBO and i assume on several, you have the option of overclocking by all cores where you set a value and all 4 or 6 cores run at that value or you can set by core.

Is there a benefit and/or issue running 2 cores a bit faster than the other cores? I know on some of the pre-sets my MOBO came with they have some set up where some cores run at 44 while others are set to run at 46 and 47. In testing, I have 2 cores that run on average about 3-5c cooler than the others and was thinking of kicking up those to a bit higher, but never asked or know if it serves any benefit or if it is better to run them all at the same exact speed.

Ok, I've narrowed down the selection considerably.

One of these:

1. I5 3570k Quadcore 3.4ghz (Ivy Bridge) $189

2. I5 3450 Quadcore 3.1ghz (Ivy Bridge) $159

3. I5 2400 Quadcore 3.1ghz (Sandy Bridge) $139

Two questions:

1. Which is the best buy? Is the Ivy Bridge really worth the increased prices?

2. Will ALL of them work ok with this Gigabyte H61M Motherboard or this Asrock Motherboard? I know both motherboards are socket 1155, but am I going to have to fool around with flashing the bios on the Ivy Bridge processors? Are these two motherboards ok for overclocking? I realize they are cheaper and don't have but two memory slots and not many USB ports. That's fine.

damn, looks like florida doesn't have them. but still, if its run most current games smoothly for sub $700(upgrading parts as i go along is fine with me) then i think it a good price. i did some googling about custom built and it seems you need at least a $900 custom pc to handle some decent gaming. is that true?

Not at all. Check the builds in the OP. Even the cheapest $500 ones will run everything. It is just a matter of how high you crank settings. And even at the lowest settings, frankly, the games look way better than PS3 or 360 games. People just get caught up in the idea of having the top of the line/best bench marks.

One of these:

Two questions:

2. Will ALL of them work ok with this Gigabyte H61M Motherboard or this Asrock Motherboard? I know both motherboards are socket 1155, but am I going to have to fool around with flashing the bios on the Ivy Bridge processors? Are these two motherboards ok for overclocking? I realize they are cheaper and don't have but two memory slots and not many USB ports. That's fine.

I can't answer all your questions, but both motherboards support those processors from my googling. Depending on how old the stock is (at microcenter) you may have to update the board's BIOS, but it's not really a big deal.

What are you planning on doing with this PC?

ccbfan

One of these:

Two questions:

If that is microcenter, microcenter has a deal where you get $50 off a z77/z68 mobo when you buy a 2500K/2600K/3570K

If that is microcenter, microcenter has a deal where you get $50 off a z77/z68 mobo when you buy a 2500K/2600K/3570K

Yeah but the 2500k magically disappeared from their website it seems. The curent deal seems to be $50 off a select motherboard when you buy the Ivy Bridge 3570 listed above.

I'm having weird framerate issues whenever I'm PC gaming on my TV. I get lower framerates on my 720p TV compared to my 1600p monitor and I don't know why. On my computer monitor, everything is smooth as butter but I notice a lot more slowdown on the TV.

I want to get 3 (maybe more) 120mm fans pretty soon. One I will add as an extra to my Hyper 212evo so I would have two fans mounted (one intake and one exhaust), the other 2 fans will be intake fans for the front of my case, so...

1- What models/brands should I be looking out for ?

2- Does the hyper 212 evo require any other specification for compatibly for the extra fan, besides being a 120mm fan ?

P.S. I think I'm in the minority on this one, but I don't care about noise at all, I prioritize being efficient and keeping the temps low since my room is already noisy, however if there were fans that could get the job done while being quiet that would be preferred obviously.

ProXimity

Banned
I'm having weird framerate issues whenever I'm PC gaming on my TV. I get lower framerates on my 720p TV compared to my 1600p monitor and I don't know why. On my computer monitor, everything is smooth as butter but I notice a lot more slowdown on the TV.

Is it a television or a monitor that can be used as a television? How are you connected your PC to the TV (HDMI, VGA, etc.)?

MooMoo

Any huge difference between using the HDMI port on my graphics card and the one on the motherboard? Graphics card has DVI and mini HDMI ports and my motherboard has the normal HDMI port. The issue is I only have a HDMI to VGI cable and my monitor is old enough that it doesn't have a HDMI port so using my graphics card is currently a no go. I'm sure there are cheap cables out there, but just to reiterate the question: is there any noticeable difference in image quality between using the ports on my graphics card and those on the motherboard?

Edit: Flipping through the motherboard manual, there are a couple of switches like GPU boost and EPU switch. Are these necessary to switch on? Former is supposed to optimize GPU clock speeds while the latter is supposed to moderate power consumption or something. Have the Asus P8Z77-V LK motherboard.

Any huge difference between using the HDMI port on my graphics card and the one on the motherboard? Graphics card has DVI and mini HDMI ports and my motherboard has the normal HDMI port. The issue is I only have a HDMI to VGI cable and my monitor is old enough that it doesn't have a HDMI port so using my graphics card is currently a no go. I'm sure there are cheap cables out there, but just to reiterate the question: is there any noticeable difference in image quality between using the ports on my graphics card and those on the motherboard?

Edit: Flipping through the motherboard manual, there are a couple of switches like GPU boost and EPU switch. Are these necessary to switch on? Former is supposed to optimize GPU clock speeds while the latter is supposed to moderate power consumption or something. Have the Asus P8Z77-V LK motherboard.

Yes, if you use the motherboard you are using the on board video. It amazing the game runs at all. You aren't even using your graphics card to output data that way.

MooMoo

Yes, if you use the motherboard you are using the on board video. It amazing the game runs at all. You aren't even using your graphics card to output data that way.
Ah, thanks. I always thought it worked a little differently from that. I also had a herpderp moment and preemptively freaked out but I just realized the graphics card comes with a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable. I can totally foresee me having wiring issues when I finally build this thing tomorrow.

alternade

So im finally decided on what im getting.
The parts are:
Intel i5-3550
Biostar tz77b 1155
Asus gtx 550ti
Samsung spinpoint f3 1tb
Corsair vengeance 8gb ram
Cooler master haf 912
Antec 530w psu

Gonna use the win8 consumer preview until i can buy win7. All together its going to come to about $670. I think this build will play everything I want at reasonable settings and is a good cost/performance ratio. Place my order on friday and get it monday.

The parts are:
Intel i5-3550
Biostar tz77b 1155
Asus gtx 550ti
Samsung spinpoint f3 1tb
Cooler master haf 912
Antec 530w psu

Gonna use the win8 consumer preview until i can buy win7. All together its going to come to about $670. I think this build will play everything I want at reasonable settings and is a good cost/performance ratio. Place my order on friday and get it monday.

If it were me I'd buy a better video card, but I also don't know what res you're playing at.

kharma45

The parts are:
Intel i5-3550
Biostar tz77b 1155
Asus gtx 550ti
Samsung spinpoint f3 1tb
Cooler master haf 912
Antec 530w psu

As already said you'd be better off with a better GPU, even upgrade to something like a 6850.

papercut

Couple of related questions:

If I get a video card with an open cooler design (like the asus 670 directcu), will it raise the temps on my CPU since it's dumping air into the case and not out the back? I plan to overclock my 3570k and I'm wary of handicapping myself. I mostly want this card because I want to avoid that whirry fan noise that's been reported with the reference 670 coolers.

Also, will turning off the iGPU lower temps at all?

Thanks!

JonCha

Same L shaped connector, but just bigger. It comes out of your PSU, and there will most likely be 2 or 3 connectors on the same cable. In your picture, it would go on the connection below where you have the SATA cable plugged into.

Also, yeah. If the heatsink is on there tight, it's on there. Run a stress test with Prime 95 while monitoring temps with HWMonitor. Temps should be in the 70s.

*edit*
I just realized the third sentence might sound like jibberish. If so, links to the programs are in the OP. Download both and run both. Start stress test in Prime 95, and watch the Core temps in HWMonitor. Will say Core #0-4. The total average is what you want to consider.

Thanks. There were three large L-shaped connectors, so put one in pretty easily.

Also took a look at the ATX connector (the one with the mega-thick cables) that has two parts to it. The four-pin parts wasn't going in all the way, so took both out and connected them via the small hooks. It went on, and seems to have gone in all the way. Not 100% confident, but we'll see.

I think everything's hooked up now. I just need to have a look to see if this "HD display" cable is in the right place. I can only see one port for it on the motherboard, so I'm confident it's in the right place.

And regarding installing Windows 7, I have a full copy of Home Premium. Can I transfer to contents onto my USB, uninstall it and Boot Camp and install Windows on my PC?

MrBig

Thanks. There were three large L-shaped connectors, so put one in pretty easily.

Also took a look at the ATX connector (the one with the mega-thick cables) that has two parts to it. The four-pin parts wasn't going in all the way, so took both out and connected them via the small hooks. It went on, and seems to have gone in all the way. Not 100% confident, but we'll see.

I think everything's hooked up now. I just need to have a look to see if this "HD display" cable is in the right place. I can only see one port for it on the motherboard, so I'm confident it's in the right place.

And regarding installing Windows 7, I have a full copy of Home Premium. Can I transfer to contents onto my USB, uninstall it and Boot Camp and install Windows on my PC?

I have no idea what you're doing here. Slow down, stop what you're trying to do and look up videos on exactly what you're supposed to be doing.

I also have no idea what your question is in regards to windows, or what the HD Display cable is. I'm assuming the cable is a HDMI cable or a DVI cable (google these to see what they are), if you have a GPU you need to be plugging it into that, not the mobo. Some GPUs don't have a HDMI port, if it doesn't it likely came with an DVI>HDMI adpater, or mHDMI>HDMI adapter.

clav

If one were to get an AMD CPU to save a little cash on a rig, what would be recommended?

Depends on what you want to do with your machine.

Personally, if I wanted the option to game on a laptop and didn't want to spend much, then I'll be looking forward to the newly released AMD Trinity processors as they seem to blend the concept of average gaming with somewhat decent battery life.

For desktops, I would lean towards Intel for pure power unless you don't plan on spending a lot on both the graphics card and processor combined. With that said, I haven't really looked into AMD setups.

JonCha

I have no idea what you're doing here. Slow down, stop what you're trying to do and look up videos on exactly what you're supposed to be doing.

I also have no idea what your question is in regards to windows, or what the HD Display cable is. I'm assuming the cable is a HDMI cable or a DVI cable (google these to see what they are), if you have a GPU you need to be plugging it into that, not the mobo. Some GPUs don't have a HDMI port, if it doesn't it likely came with an DVI>HDMI adpater, or mHDMI>HDMI adapter.

You know exactly what I mean - it's the biggest cable that comes with the PSU. I'm just not explaining myself very well.

And I've just got my HDMI cable, and plugged it into the back of the GPU. It's fine.

And with Windows 7, I already use it on Bootcamp. I was asking if I could uninstall it, and Bootcamp in the process, and then use the same disc and authentication key on my new PC. Googling has said the answer is yes, but you may have to speak to Microsoft to explain why you're using the same copy of Windows. That's apparently a common event.

Edit: the HD cable I referred to is called HD Audio.

MrBig

You know exactly what I mean - it's the biggest cable that comes with the PSU. I'm just not explaining myself very well.

And I've just got my HDMI, and plugged it into the back of the GPU. It's fine.

And with Windows 7, I already use it on Bootcamp. I was asking if I could uninstall it, and Bootcamp in the process, and then use the same disc and authentication key on my new PC. Googling has said the answer is yes, but you may have to speak to Microsoft to explain why you're using the same copy of Windows again. That's apparently a common event.

The ATX 24pin cable? That has absolutely nothing to do with HDDs. You're looking for the SATA power/molex cable. What is your PSU model?

Yes, on the windows part.

The HD Audio cable, is that an optical cable? All you need to use for audio is the HDMI cable, unless you are outputting to a separate DAC/AMP or something.
I didn't think I was talking about the HDD, so sorry if I was.

Yeah, the ATX 24 pin. I've got the Antec VP450P.

Ok, your structure wasn't clear and I though you were trying to plug a + pin from the ATX power into an HDD. nvm

JonCha

The ATX 24pin cable? That has absolutely nothing to do with HDDs. You're looking for the SATA power/molex cable. What is your PSU model?

Yes, on the windows part.

I didn't think I was talking about the HDD, so sorry if I was.

Yeah, the ATX 24 pin. I've got the Antec VP450P.

JonCha

The HD Audio cable, is that an optical cable? All you need to use for audio is the HDMI cable, unless you are outputting to a separate DAC/AMP or something.

Ok, your structure wasn't clear and I though you were trying to plug a + pin from the ATX power into an HDD. nvm

I don't know. It's just a small pin with the AC'97, with nine pins. Perhaps I should just leave it off and see if any audio comes out.

ameratsu

So I want to upgrade my hard drive to the Samsung Spinpoint F3 mentioned in the OP. With windows 7 is there a relatively easy way to backup and restore to the new HD? Or do i need to do a fresh windows install and reinstall everything.

Thanks

MisterNoisy

I don't know. It's just a small pin with the AC'97, with nine pins. Perhaps I should just leave it off and see if any audio comes out.

The 9-pin HD Audio cable you're referring to connects the motherboard to the front panel audio ports of your PC's case. It's only needed if you want to be able to use those ports for a headset or the like. If you look closely at the motherboard, you should see a header for it labeled 'AAFP' or something similar:

Bl9J6.png

JonCha

The 9-pin HD Audio cable you're referring to connects the motherboard to the front panel audio ports of your PC's case. It's only needed if you want to be able to use those ports for a headset or the like. If you look closely at the motherboard, you should see a header for it labeled 'AAFP' or something similar:

Bl9J6.png

Yep, that's exactly it. Thanks. It was in that port anyway, so I'll put it back in!

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Looks like the Newegg stuff got here first even though I ordered it later than the rest. Super quick! Now if I could just get the rest from NCIX...

Not terribly impressed with NCIX so far. Ordered from them on Wednesday of last week but UPS says both packages have been in CA since Friday.

That could be UPS fault but I also got an extra international shipping charge even though I'm in the US for some reason.

Now to play the waiting game.

MooMoo

So these Spectre Pro fans come with these anti vibration rivets and a set of screws. Kinda confused as to what goes where/which to use...

MisterNoisy

So these Spectre Pro fans come with these anti vibration rivets and a set of screws. Kinda confused as to what goes where/which to use...

I almost always use screws paired with rubber washers, since it makes them easier to remove them for cleaning or replacement later. The only exception would be for Xigmatek CPU coolers, which pretty much force you to use the slotted rubber pins.

JonCha

Plugged the PC in ... not power. Switched the function cables around (Power, Reset etc.) and it turned on. Time to get Windows on. Hopefully everything will go okay.

Is there a period after setting the computer up when I know everything's okay?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Plugged the PC in ... not power. Switched the function cables around (Power, Reset etc.) and it turned on. Time to get Windows on. Hopefully everything will go okay.

Is there a period after setting the computer up when I know everything's okay?
Probably just like a car. Everything is okay until a light comes on or something starts making a funny noise. Benchmark, CPU load and temperature tests will be your friend.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I've got an ancient PC (intel Core 2 @ 2.13, 2 gigs of ram), but went ahead and bought a gtx 550ti and a new power supply to play Diablo. I want to build a new PC from the bottom up but that won't happen until sometime next year.

Diablo as far as I can tell, runs well enough. The fps counter is moving so quickly I can't really tell what I'm getting but it appears to hover around 50-60 fps, with all settings on high but my rez is only 1280 x 1024.

The only problem is the constant stuttering. I fully recognize my computer is ancient and that theres only so much that I can expect, however I wondered if it would be worth my time to go ahead and max out the ram?

alternade

If it were me I'd buy a better video card, but I also don't know what res you're playing at.

As already said you'd be better off with a better GPU, even upgrade to something like a 6850.

Im goning to be playing on a 32" 720p screen or 22" monitor(idk the resolution).

I found a HD6850 that keeps my budget under $700. Im only goig to be playing Diablo, L4D and watching/streaming HD movies, so I dot need cutting edge tech like a 680.

Shambles

I've got an ancient PC (intel Core 2 @ 2.13, 2 gigs of ram), but went ahead and bought a gtx 550ti and a new power supply to play Diablo. I want to build a new PC from the bottom up but that won't happen until sometime next year.

Diablo as far as I can tell, runs well enough. The fps counter is moving so quickly I can't really tell what I'm getting but it appears to hover around 50-60 fps, with all settings on high but my rez is only 1280 x 1024.

The only problem is the constant stuttering. I fully recognize my computer is ancient and that theres only so much that I can expect, however I wondered if it would be worth my time to go ahead and max out the ram?

I wouldn't expect memory to improve the stuttering. nVidia just released some new drivers so I'd install those. I'd also try to OC the CPU if that option is available to you. There have been some v-sync stuttering issues with the new kepler GPUs but it doesn't seem like this issue would apply to your situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom