• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

Newegg is great with shipping, but I think their CS kind of sucks with defective products. And returns. And I'm not going to type a 500 word story about a particuliar experience I had a couple years ago, but let's just say the CS rep gets a big fat "fuck you" from me. It was comical and the fact the rep refused to do the right thing (when it was clear as day it was merely a clerical error screwing me) forever cemented my opinion of them. Good prices, great shipping, crappy CS.

Tendo

So my 260gtx is showing some age. I'm looking for an upgrade in the 150-200 range. Is the 560 enough of an upgrade over a 460 to justify the cost increase?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Anybody have some quick thoughts on the 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD that's currently on sale on NewEgg for $120-$30 MIR = $90?

Reviews are good (5 Eggs), and looking at Anand it seems this performs better than the Crucial M4 and the Samsung 830. So, it seems like an absurdly good drive; but I'm a tad hesitant for some reason.

I have some awful malware I can't get rid of on my 60GB Agility 2 C:\ drive, and I'm always running low on space. I plan on doing a Windows wipe this weekend, anyway; so this would be the perfect time to upgrade. I'm thinking it's an extra 60GB, is faster, and it's nice to have new toys. Anyway, that's my story.

Thoughts on the Kingston drive?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
So my 260gtx is showing some age. I'm looking for an upgrade in the 150-200 range. Is the 560 enough of an upgrade over a 460 to justify the cost increase?

If you look hard enough, you could probably find a well-taken-care-of GTX570 for under $200; that would be a massive upgrade over your 260 and still a big jump from the 460 and 560.

MrBig

Anybody have some quick thoughts on the 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD that's currently on sale on NewEgg for $120-$30 MIR = $90?

Reviews are good (5 Eggs), and looking at Anand it seems this performs better than the Crucial M4 and the Samsung 830. So, it seems like an absurdly good drive; but I'm a tad hesitant for some reason.

I have some awful malware I can't get rid of on my 60GB Agility 2 C:\ drive, and I'm always running low on space. I plan on doing a Windows wipe this weekend, anyway; so this would be the perfect time to upgrade. I'm thinking it's an extra 60GB, is faster, and it's nice to have new toys. Anyway, that's my story.

Thoughts on the Kingston drive?

The Kingston is fine afaik, but I'd go for a lower retail price before a MIR, you won't get that money for a few months vs instant savings. Crucial/Samsung 128gb drives are more liked/proven, and the Crucial is $125.
You could then delete the partitions on the 60gb you have, scrub it of everything, and then set it up as an SRT drive for a data HDD drive you have.

colinp

Banned
My PSU and bluetooth mouse showed up so I decided to jump in a put my computer together. Everything seems to be running A-OK and I've finished installing windows. Now installing Diablo 3 and Steam. WOoohooooooooo!

comp.jpg

If only I could remember my Steam password... =/

Oh, I did have a question about a case USB cord that was too small to fit in the motherboard USB slots. Anyone know what I'm talking about? And where it's supposed to go...? I'll take a picture tomorrow and ask again if not.

So, I'm getting ready to buy a new PC (my Pentium 4 struggles with BF3 ;)

My tentative build looks as follows:

- Intel Core i5 3450
- Scythe Katana 3 (Fan)
- Asrock H77M (Mobo) http://www.toppreise.ch/prod_269627.html
- ASUS DRW-24B5ST (DVD Writer)
- FSP Hexa 500W 80+ (Power Supply) http://www.toppreise.ch/prod_233969.html
- Thermaltake V4 (case)
- Corsair XMS3 2x4GB PC3-10666 (1333MHz) 1.5V http://www.toppreise.ch/prod_217725.html
- Crucial M4 128GB SSD
- Then later on a used 560Ti or Radeon 6950

Some questions I'd like to ask:

- Is the FSP Hexa 500W worth something, will it be enough?
- I could save ~90$ (I'm living in Switzerland btw) going with a core i3 2100, but would it be enough to play BF3 maps with 64 players and high/ultra settings in 1680*1050?
Other games I intend to play are: Skyrim, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3 and Witcher 2.
- The mobo is micro ATX, what problems could I face with this? Just need 1 PCI-e (560Ti) and 1 PCI connection for my DVB-S card.

I'm trying to get the cheapest possible build with enough juice and no low quality parts. I mostly intend using it for normal office stuff, playing games, watching HD videos, editing and looking at my Photos with Lightroom 4 or Photoshop CS6.

Thanks for your help!

Edit: The PC (Pentium 4) I used to write this post just went dark, I got a strange graphic card driver error several hours earlier and now my screen has no input source anymore... it sensed that I'm thinking about replacing it soon ;(

JB1981

My PSU and bluetooth mouse showed up so I decided to jump in a put my computer together. Everything seems to be running A-OK and I've finished installing windows. Now installing Diablo 3 and Steam. WOoohooooooooo!

comp.jpg

If only I could remember my Steam password... =/

Oh, I did have a question about a case USB cord that was too small to fit in the motherboard USB slots. Anyone know what I'm talking about? And where it's supposed to go...? I'll take a picture tomorrow and ask again if not.

Is this the first PC you ever built?

ghostmind

Building a gaming (all-purpose, but mostly geared for gaming) system. Going with the HAF XM case. Need to choose between the Asus Z77 Sabertooth or the Maximus V Gene (I probably would have gone with the Extreme Z77 if that were available). Any general recommendations for one over the other? Does the soundchip in the Maximus make it the better choice, despite its Micro ATX size in what is a larger-than-midtower case?

mkenyon

Banned
I'm looking at making my gf a smaller form factor PC, and so far come up with below. I would plan to use my existing GTX570 (Asus DirectCUII) and replace mine with a GTX670 Asus TOP.
If you're not planning on using more than a single PCI-E slot, you could go smaller with the P8Z77-I Deluxe, and an ITX case like the Silverstone SG08, or Bitfenix Prodigy.
560 definitely not, I don't think it'd be much of an improvement over the 260 either. They pulled some really crappy marketing schemes with the 560s. 560 = total garbage, 560Ti = great card, 560Ti 448 Core = 570 with some stuff disabled.
- Is the FSP Hexa 500W worth something, will it be enough?
- I could save ~90$ (I'm living in Switzerland btw) going with a core i3 2100, but would it be enough to play BF3 maps with 64 players and high/ultra settings in 1680*1050?
Other games I intend to play are: Skyrim, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3 and Witcher 2.
- The mobo is micro ATX, what problems could I face with this? Just need 1 PCI-e (560Ti) and 1 PCI connection for my DVB-S card.
1) To be honest, not a clue. Is this something that you already had? If not, get one of the PSU's listed in the OP.
2) I dont think you'll notice any difference in frames between the two. Pretty much it's i3 or 2500K so you can specifically overclock it to the 4.5Ghz region. Most games only use one or two threads, and the i3 has 4 threads (two cores). Getting more Mhz per thread/core is the reason why people buy the 2500K.
3) Nope.

If you haven't bought the list of parts, I'd strongly suggest picking stuff in the OP over the variants that you have, such as the case. BitFenix should have a presence in Schweiz considering they are just next door to you.
Building a gaming (all-purpose, but mostly geared for gaming) system. Going with the HAF XM case. Need to choose between the Asus Z77 Sabertooth or the Maximus V Gene (I probably would have gone with the Extreme Z77 if that were available). Any general recommendations for one over the other? Does the soundchip in the Maximus make it the better choice, despite its Micro ATX size in what is a larger-than-midtower case?
Why HAF XM and a mATX board? Why HAF XM in particular? Drawn to the aesthetics? Something like that is pretty significant overkill for a single card setup.

The only reason to go with either of those motherboards is if aesthetics are super important to you, if you want really nice onboard sound (MVGene), if you want to build a small form factor gaming rig (MVGene), or if you're planning to overclock to the 4.8-5.X range, which would also require a proper water loop to run 24/7. Otherwise, the standard Z77 boards are a much better buy.

ghostmind

Why HAF XM and a mATX board? Why HAF XM in particular? Drawn to the aesthetics? Something like that is pretty significant overkill for a single card setup.

The only reason to go with either of those motherboards is if aesthetics are super important to you, if you want really nice onboard sound (MVGene), if you want to build a small form factor gaming rig (MVGene), or if you're planning to overclock to the 4.8-5.X range, which would also require a proper water loop to run 24/7. Otherwise, the standard Z77 boards are a much better buy.

I've got past experience with previous HAF builds, so its just a case that I appreciate the design. I was going to go with the HAF 912, since I don't want something as big as the HAF X this time around, when I learned about the new XM (I do appreciate its aesthetics).

Although I am only going single card right now (GTX 670), I am planning on moving to an SLI setup within a year.

I guess my question would be then if the sound quality (and noise baffling) is that much better with the MVGene, that I would put it into a much larger case (as I'm already committed on that front)?

And yes, for the Sabertooth, it's mostly aesthetics talking.

mkenyon

Banned
With SLI, your cards will appreciate an extra slot between.

The sound being better on the MVG is fairly significant, a bit like getting a Xonar DG/DX basically.

asdad123

So I want to make my PC as silent as possible, because when playing diablo 3, my graphics card sounds like a jet engine.

This is my set up:
HAF912
I5 2500k
Asus P67 Pro
EVGA GTX560 Superclocked.

Could you guys recommend a WaterCooler? And is it hard to put one in? Im currently using a 212+ on the CPU (temps hit like 65C max) and the stock fan on the card (this one worries me, hits about 90C playing Diablo 3).

Or should I just switch out to a different case?

mkenyon

Banned
560 or 560Ti?

Watercooling is *really* expensive. For a whole loop you're looking at $400-500 for CPU + GPU with the right stuff. If it's the 560Ti, you could get an aftermarket cooler made by Zalman or Arctic Cooling.

asdad123

560 or 560Ti?

Watercooling is *really* expensive. For a whole loop you're looking at $400-500 for CPU + GPU with the right stuff. If it's the 560Ti, you could get an aftermarket cooler made by Zalman or Arctic Cooling.

560Ti.

Can you recommend an aftermarket cooler for the card?

Thanks!

Anyone else using Asus Fan Xpert 2 to control their fans? It's supposed to intelligently spin them up and down based on your CPU temp, but it seems the temp sensor it uses is really out of whack. With Prime95 running at full, Real Temp and CoreTemp will show all cores at ~60-65, but the Asus program says the CPU is at 40. WTF? Given that, it'll never spin up all the way, so it's kind of pointless.

tigerin

Unfortunately, the Neo ECO units aren't on Amazon, but this XFX Core 650W unit is. We're starting to creep up a bit pricewise ($77), but it's a good unit.

sorry, i missed this post. i'll go with the neo eco 520w from newegg then. so the 450w psu might not be enough to maintain the power of the whole rigs? but i guess around 10 dollars difference would be cheaper in the long run if i happen to crossfire.

MooMoo

Okay, so spent a little bit of time stress testing, can anyone give me the low down on if these load temps are okay:
1. SSD - ~40C
2. GPU - ~88C (idle is around 40-45C)

GPU has me a little worried. From what I can hear, while the GPU fan cranks it up a few notches at load my chassis fans are still blowing at normal speed. Maybe changing that will help with the GPU load temps.

Okay, so spent a little bit of time stress testing, can anyone give me the low down on if these load temps are okay:
1. SSD - ~40C

GPU has me a little worried. From what I can hear, while the GPU fan cranks it up a few notches at load my chassis fans are still blowing at normal speed. Maybe changing that will help with the GPU load temps.

What's your GPU? That's very hot. I'd only consider that normal for some older cards like 8800GT and 4870.

MisterNoisy

1. SSD - ~40C

That's a little toasty for my tastes (I'm not happy if my GPU gets over ~65C, tbh). I believe your case has a fan mount on the left side panel right on top of the expansion slot area. Try installing another fan there pulling air inward (though this does complicate door removal later), which should help with that.

tigerin

Tigrin,I just checked and the Biostar TZ77B ATX LGA1155 motherboard has 4 slots for RAM. Thus you are fine buying 2 sticks of 2GB. You can always add 2 more later if you want. Just make sure it is all DDR3 and the same speed when you buy extra down the line. Since RAM is dual channel, you always upgrade it in pairs (two sticks each time).

it seems like i would save more money if i buy the 4gb ram stick compared to the 2gb one(unless gaming doesn't need 4gb of ram yet.)

what you mean by dual channel is that it can only add two sticks at a time? so if i buy another two sticks of 2gb ram on top of that, it wouldn't make a difference? for example this wouldn't work? (2gb+2gb)+(2gb+2gb)= 8gb

MooMoo

What's your GPU? That's very hot. I'd only consider that normal for some older cards like 8800GT and 4870.
GTX 560 ti. D:

That's a little toasty for my tastes (I'm not happy if my GPU gets over ~65C, tbh). I believe your case has a fan mount on the left side panel right on top of the expansion slot area. Try installing another fan there pulling air inward (though this does complicate door removal later), which should help with that.
That reminds me, is there any type of connector to add more fans? My motherboard only has 3 extra pins for fans and I've already used them all up (1 in back pushing air, 2 in front pulling air).

MrBig

it seems like i would save more money if i buy the 4gb ram stick compared to the 2gb one(unless gaming doesn't need 4gb of ram yet.)

what you mean by dual channel is that it can only add two sticks at a time? so if i buy another two sticks of 2gb ram on top of that, it wouldn't make a difference? for example this wouldn't work? (2gb+2gb)+(2gb+2gb)= 8gb

Just get 2 4gb sticks, don't bother with the 2gb stuff.

Is 29C idle higher than it could/should be for a 2500K, 212+ ?

My old e8500 with a Xigamatek was around 24 at idle, I think...

i'll leave this here:
100% work in progress. still have A LOT of cable management to do, most things are not even connected.
:)
Looking good, what case is that?

Manp

Looking good, what case is that?

Corsair 600T White

waiting for some white sleeved cables to be delivered (everything from sata cables to actual white sleeves for all the case cabling, that will be a lot of work :( ) so you can picture what the final result i hope will look like.

K' Dash

RAM is very cheap these days, I'd recomend buying something like this, what parts have you now in your cart and how much are you willing to spend?

mkenyon

Banned
1. SSD - ~40C

Under 95ish is fine. If you want to go lower then you can change your system's thermal design. What is your case and what fans do you have? Which are exhaust/intake?

Case fans generally always blow at 100%, unless they are super fancy ones.
Hardware doesn't lag. Internet connections have lag. Hardware has framerate issues.
Seek time and platters spinning up is basically lag.
i'll leave this here:

100% work in progress. still have A LOT of cable management to do, most things are not even connected.

Protips:

Remove the top HDD bay, move the bottom one next to the PSU. This helps hide PSU cables as well as provide better airflow. Replace front and top fans with better ones. Those 200mm fans are *TERRIBLE*. Two 120mm on the top will suit you nicely if you want to buy some super quiet ones. Bitfenix Spectre Pro White LED fans are a good match if you want to continue with the current scheme. The 200s are quieter than the Corsair ones, but still a bit too loud for my liking.

ghostmind

With SLI, your cards will appreciate an extra slot between.

The sound being better on the MVG is fairly significant, a bit like getting a Xonar DG/DX basically.

With that in mind, it may be worth my waiting a couple weeks, as Asus will be officially revealing (releasing?) the Maximus V Formula and the Maximus V Extreme.

Manp

Remove the top HDD bay, move the bottom one next to the PSU. This helps hide PSU cables as well as provide better airflow. Replace front and top fans with better ones. Those 200mm fans are *TERRIBLE*. Two 120mm on the top will suit you nicely if you want to buy some super quiet ones. Bitfenix Spectre Pro White LED fans are a good match if you want to continue with the current scheme. The 200s are quieter than the Corsair ones, but still a bit too loud for my liking.

i have the two 200mm fans as low as my motherboard allow them and they're not that bad, still have to test the case's built-in fan control. if that allow them to spin even lower i think i'll be fine, at least for now.

my temps are pretty good so i'm not that worried to have them spinning very low.

btw tnx for the tips :)

Chris R

Looks like white cases are in style this season.

I love my PS07w. Just waiting to order a freaking 670 to complete the build. It was pretty tight with cable management, but I like the fact that I was able to take all of the HDD bays out. Makes it look clean and uncluttered. Just have my SSD bolted to the bottom of the case and my HDD sitting in the 2nd 5.25 bay.

RAM is very cheap these days, I'd recomend buying something like this, what parts have you now in your cart and how much are you willing to spend?

Everything is "very cheap," really. You end up "just $10 for this processor" or "just $20 for this graphics card over the other." Five minutes later your budget is up $150 from $10 here and there. It's easy to say, hey this part is only $10 more but you can do that with virtually any piece you put in your PC.

The good thing about only 4GB of RAM now is that it is totally fine for gaming now and you can ALWAYS add more later, especially since his motherboard has 4 RAM slots. He can always add more RAM later. Better to spend the extra cash on the best motherboard and processor you can afford because those are the parts you will keep the same for the longest amount of time.

mkenyon

Banned
With that in mind, it may be worth my waiting a couple weeks, as Asus will be officially revealing (releasing?) the Maximus V Formula and the Maximus V Extreme.
If you aren't watercooling or looking at LN2 benching, or benching in general, both are a total waste.
Looks like white cases are in style this season.
I crave them like a crack fiend. Monochrome is the new hotness in the mod world. Much better than neon acrylic and colorful lights at least, right?

MooMoo

Under 95ish is fine. If you want to go lower then you can change your system's thermal design. What is your case and what fans do you have? Which are exhaust/intake?

Case fans generally always blow at 100%, unless they are super fancy ones.
I have one in the top rear blowing out, two in front blowing in. The rear and one of the front fans is stock while the second one in front is the Spectre Pro that you mentioned a few pages back. I do have an extra Spectre Pro but like I mentioned in my last post I've already used up all the fan ports on my motherboard. I have the Bitfenix Shinobi Window case, GTX 560 ti.

Yes that would work. Four slots with 2gb each = 8GB. So it is ok just to buy 2 2GB sticks now. You can't just put one stick in (most of the time it isn't even sold as a single stick). You HAVE to have two sticks. Instead of one 4GB, you need 2 2GB. Usually that is what it means when it says "4GB" of Ram. It usually means 2 2GB sticks. I can't even remember the last time I saw RAM being sold as a single stick because all DDR3 is dual channel (meaning you always need a pair of them).

asdad123

GTX 560 ti. D:

That reminds me, is there any type of connector to add more fans? My motherboard only has 3 extra pins for fans and I've already used them all up (1 in back pushing air, 2 in front pulling air).

Thats what my Ti is running at playing just Diablo 3 :(

tigerin

i was planning to get the samsung 4gb one recommended by mrbig.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147094

isn't it better to have 2 4gb ram stick instead of one 8gb ram stick(because it's faster to have two sticks doing different tasks than one bigger stick doing all the task?)

i also heard that you don't need more than 4gb of ram right now for gaming. so shouldn't 8gb be a waste of money?

i don't know what's the right amount to get a ram stick. i'm gonig to sell my macbook pro for $1000(around $700 left with monitor/keyboard/mouse), so that's my budget range. but it wouldn be nice if i can save some extra money by buying the cheaper parts that's enough to utilize pc gaming.

MooMoo

Thats what my Ti is running at playing just Diablo 3 :(
I feel ya man. I haven't tried any games, just furmark testing though. I did test D3 for like less than a minute and my GPU temp spiked up to 70C, which isn't too bad imo, but it'll be interesting to see how that changes in prolonged gaming sessions.

K' Dash

Everything is very cheap, really. You end up just $10 for this processor or just $20 for this graphics card over the other. Five minutes later your budget is up $150 off of $10 here and there.

The good thing about only 4GB of RAM now is that it is totally fine for gaming now and you can ALWAYS add more later, especially since his motherboard has 4 RAM slots. He can always add more RAM later. Better to spend the extra cash on the best motherboard and processor you can afford because those are the parts you will keep the same for the longest amount of time.

I completely agree with you, that's why I was asking what parts are in his cart and his budget, If I'm not wrong he already picked a Biostar Z77 MoBo and a i5 2500K, so he's good with those.

MrBig

Yes that would work. Four slots with 2gb each = 8GB. So it is ok just to buy 2 2GB sticks now. You can't just put one stick in (most of the time it isn't even sold as a single stick). You HAVE to have two sticks. Instead of one 4GB, you need 2 2GB. Usually that is what it means when it says "4GB" of Ram. It usually means 2 2GB sticks. I can't even remember the last time I saw RAM being sold as a single stick because all DDR3 is dual channel (meaning you always need a pair of them).

What? That's not true, and buying a single 4gb stick is cheaper than 2x2gb.

tigerin

oh okay, just a curious question, so does the 8gb ram stick have 2 sticks of 4gb or 4 sticks of 2gb?

so it would called "quad channel" if i put all 4 "2gb sticks" together in the 4 slots? or is that a different term for something else?

i was planning to get the samsung 4gb one recommended by mrbig.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147094

isn't it better to have 2 4gb ram stick instead of one 8gb ram stick(because it's faster to have two sticks doing different tasks than one bigger stick doing all the task?)

i also heard that you don't need more than 4gb of ram right now for gaming. so shouldn't 8gb be a waste of money?

i don't know what's the right amount to get a ram stick. i'm gonig to sell my macbook pro for $1000(around $700 left with monitor/keyboard/mouse), so that's my budget range. but it wouldn be nice if i can save some extra money by buying the cheaper parts that's enough to utilize pc gaming.

That RAM won't work with just one stick because your Motherboard only supports "Dual Channel" which means it needs TWO sticks of RAM. Some motherboards aren't dual channel (some support dual and triple channel).

But your motherboard has 4 RAM slots, so if you want to go with 4GB to save some cash, you need 2 2GB sticks. They are often sold in a pack for a similar price to that 4GB of Samsung.

For a small but annoying reason, I'm considering replacing my motherboard, Asus P8Z77-V, with the P8Z77-V Pro. If I do that, will I need to reinstall Windows and everything from scratch, or should I be able to just swap out mobos, plug everything in and boot as normal? It looks like the hardware and onboard devices are almost all the same on the Pro version (the only addition is an extra AsMedia USB3.0 chip).

Rest of the system is 3570K, Crucial m4 SSD, WD 1.5TB Caviar Black, 8GB Gskill DDR3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom