• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerin

I completely agree with you, that's why I was asking what parts are in his cart and his budget, If I'm not wrong he already picked a Biostar Z77 MoBo and a i5 2500K, so he's good with those.

the corsair brand you recommended (but with 4gb stick) seems like a good price and it comes with amazon prime too. i might get that if corsair is a good brand since i've never heard of them til now.

Chris R

That RAM won't work with just one stick because your Motherboard only supports "Dual Channel" which means it needs TWO sticks of RAM. Some motherboards aren't dual channel (some support dual and triple channel).

Um, you do know that you can use a single stick of ram in a dual channel motherboard, you just won't see the benefits of the dual channel. Also, most motherboards specify in their manual WHERE to stick the single stick if you are going to only use one (not always the first slot, I've seen it want the ram in slot #3 if you have 4).

oh okay, just a curious question, so does the 8gb ram stick have 2 sticks of 4gb or 4 sticks of 2gb?

so it would called "quad channel" if i put all 4 "2gb sticks" together in the 4 slots? or is that a different term for something else?

No, Dual Channel just means you need 2 sticks of RAM for the motherboard. Thus you always have to add in twos.

Quad Channel (which I don't think exists) would mean you always have to add additional RAM four sticks at a time.

Your motherboard is dual channel, meaning you have to add RAM in pairs. You have four slots. Thus you can add a pair now and then another pair later. For example you could:

2GB + 2GB now and 2GB+ 2GB later for a total of 8GB or even add 2gb + 2GB now and 4GB + 4GB later for a total of 12GB (which would be overkill).

Um, you do know that you can use a single stick of ram in a dual channel motherboard, you just won't see the benefits of the dual channel. Also, most motherboards specify in their manual WHERE to stick the single stick if you are going to only use one (not always the first slot, I've seen it want the ram in slot #3 if you have 4).

Doesn't that depend on the motherboard, though? I probably was overstating in saying generically it "won't work." At any rate, I'm not sure why he wouldn't want to take advantage of dual channel unless it was a really good deal on a bigger single stick. It's usually cheaper to get multiple smaller sticks.

tigerin

No, Dual Channel just means you need 2 sticks of RAM for the motherboard. Thus you always have to add in twos.

Quad Channel (which I don't think exists) would mean you always have to add additional RAM four sticks at a time.

Your motherboard is dual channel, meaning you have to add RAM in pairs. You have four slots. Thus you can add a pair now and then another pair later. For example you could:

2GB + 2GB now and 2GB+ 2GB later for a total of 8GB or even add 2gb + 2GB now and 4GB + 4GB later for a total of 12GB (which would be overkill).

okay, got it. so the 4 slots will add up no matter what, you just needs two sticks each installation to make it work(since it's dual channel.)

No, I don't know where this guy is getting his information from, but it is incorrect.
You can buy another 4gb stick at any time, but a single stick will work.

It depends on the motherboard:

wikipedia said:
Several motherboard manufacturers only support configurations where a "matched pair" of modules are used. A matching pair needs to match in:

Capacity (e.g. 1024 MB). Certain Intel chipsets support different capacity chips in what they call Flex Mode: the capacity that can be matched is run in dual-channel, while the remainder runs in single-channel.
Speed (e.g. PC5300). If speed is not the same, the lower speed of the two modules will be used. Likewise, the higher latency of the two modules will be used.
Number of chips and sides (e.g. two sides with four chips on each side).
Matching size of rows and columns.
Dual-channel architecture is a technology implemented on motherboards by the motherboard manufacturer and does not apply to memory modules. Theoretically any matched pair of memory modules may be used in either single- or dual-channel operation, provided the motherboard supports this architecture.

My previous motherboard (granted that was eons ago) was such a motherboard. Perhaps it is more common now that most dual channel motherboards also support one stick at a time. I know this isn't always the case, though.

K' Dash

i was planning to get the samsung 4gb one recommended by mrbig.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147094

isn't it better to have 2 4gb ram stick instead of one 8gb ram stick(because it's faster to have two sticks doing different tasks than one bigger stick doing all the task?)

i also heard that you don't need more than 4gb of ram right now for gaming. so shouldn't 8gb be a waste of money?

i don't know what's the right amount to get a ram stick. i'm gonig to sell my macbook pro for $1000(around $700 left with monitor/keyboard/mouse), so that's my budget range. but it wouldn be nice if i can save some extra money by buying the cheaper parts that's enough to utilize pc gaming.

OK, if you really want to save every penny you can, that RAM is fine.

Did you pick the Sapphire 6850 or the 6870?

K' Dash

OK, this is the build you posted a few posts earlier, with the changes I've seen it comes to $616, not counting shipping rates or sales taxes, you still need a good PSU and change the Caviar Blue for a Caviar Black, your call.

$205 cpu-Intel I5 2500k $205

$100 motherboard-Biostar TZ77B Motherboard $100

$25? Samsung RAM

$150 Radeon 6850

$75 storage-Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD5000AAKX

$?? PSU

$40 case-NZXT Technologies Source 210 Computer Case (Black) $40

$21 optical drive-Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)Budget: Price Range + Country $21

Any Canucks have any experience ordering from Memory Express? Just noticed they not only price match, but beat prices by 25% of the difference which could really come in handy for a full build (depending on shipping).

Just wanted to to thank the guys that put this thread together and for all those who talked me through some questions I had with my first PC build. Its working like a champ and I'm very pleased. Much appreciated!

OK, this is the build you posted a few posts earlier, with the changes I've seen it comes to $616, not counting shipping rates or sales taxes, you still need a good PSU and change the Caviar Blue for a Caviar Black, your call.

$25? Samsung RAM

$150 Radeon 6850

$75 storage-Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD5000AAKX

$?? PSU

$21 optical drive-Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)Budget: Price Range + Country $21

You think he would do fine with this Antec 450w for $37? There are cheaper PSUs, obviously, but it's a good brand and reliable. It is a bit lower wattage and maybe in the future a year or two from now if he decides to do something like add a second videocard or super-clock his processor he might need a higher wattage, but it probably would do ok for now if he wants to save some cash. Of cource for about $15 more he could get a nicer 550w, but there is the "feature creep' we were talking about again.

I would say either that processor, or, if wanted to spend a bit more to not worry about possible upgrading it in the future as much, a 550w Antec.

I think he is doing right by privleding the better motherboard and processor over the videocard and RAM in terms of how much he spends on each. The former two are the things that you'll keep the longest and the later are things that are easier and cheaper to upgrade in the future. Powersupply seems a bit more questionable, though, since the recent trend seem to me to be that most newer parts are requiring LESS energy rather than more, so I'm not sure a few years down the line you will need a monster powersupply for upgrades.

tigerin

$25? Samsung RAM

$150 Radeon 6850

$?? PSU

this is the new list i made yesterday with some minor changes.

CPU -Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $199.99 @ ncix us

Motherboard- Biostar TZ77B ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $79.99 @ newegg

Memory- Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $54.99 @ newegg (can't find the 2 "2gb ram stick")

GPU- Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB PCI-E Video Card (100315L) - SAPPHIRE $135 @ amazon

Hard Drive- Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $79.99 @ newegg

case- NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $39.99 @ amazon/newegg

psu- Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply $34.99 @ amazon if that is not enough then my second choice is the "Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply" $59.99 @ newegg

so it came out $650. i decided not to include optical drive because i don't think i need it now. only going to be downloading games from steam.

this is the new list i made yesterday with some minor changes.

CPU -Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $199.99 @ ncix us

Motherboard- Biostar TZ77B ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $79.99 @ newegg

Memory- Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $54.99 @ newegg (can't find the 2 "2gb ram stick")

GPU- Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB PCI-E Video Card (100315L) - SAPPHIRE $135 @ amazon

Hard Drive- Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $79.99 @ newegg

case- NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $39.99 @ amazon/newegg

psu- Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply $34.99 @ amazon if that is not enough then my second choice is the "Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply" $59.99 @ newegg

so it came out $650. i decided not to include optical drive because i don't think i need it now. only going to be downloading games from steam.

Looks like a pretty good build to me. Will run most games at top settings right now and gives you plenty of room for upgrading later (more RAM, 2nd videocard, overclocking CPU etc.). You might have a game here and there that will require you to only go 4x anti-aliasing or turn or V-sync something but that will probably be the exception rather than the rule. Needless to say, it is a build that will run circles around a PS3 or 360.

I actually forgot that I had a DVD drive on my system because I never ever use it. Then when i went to buy Diablo 3 I started to buy the digital version and remembered that I actually had a DVD drive I could use. I only got the DVD version to save myself an hour or so of downloading. In general, I prefer not to have all the boxes and crap lying around anyway. Steam for the win.

You guys really think the 6850 is better than a smoking overclocked GTX 560 or 460 at that pricepoint?

From what I've seen at techreport, Tom's hardware and elsewhere, the difference seems negligible. Both are decent options.

You can overclock the 6850s to 6870s peformance too. Though I wouldn't recommend doing so until he feels he needs the extra power a while from now:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/19894

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-3.html

tigerin

Looks like a pretty good build to me. Will run most games at top settings right now and gives you plenty of room for upgrading later (more RAM, 2nd videocard, overclocking CPU etc.). You might have a game here and there that will require you to only go 4x anti-aliasing or turn or V-sync something but that will probably be the exception rather than the rule. Needless to say, it is a build that will run circles around a PS3 or 360.

I actually forgot that I had a DVD drive on my system because I never ever use it. Then when i went to buy Diablo 3 I started to buy the digital version and remembered that I actually had a DVD drive I could use. I only got the DVD version to save myself an hour or so of downloading. In general, I prefer not to have all the boxes and crap lying around anyway. Steam for the win.

do you know where i can find a 4gb ram stick(2 2gb ram stick)? i found an individual 4gb stick but i want to take advantage of dual channel.

i think it will be less than 650 if i get the 4gb stick and the 450w psu. but a lot of people seems to be against the 450w psu, so i might go with the 520w neo eco psu to be safe.

MrBig

do you know where i can find a 4gb ram stick(2 2gb ram stick)? i found an individual 4gb stick but i want to take advantage of dual channel.

i think it will be less than 650 if i get the 4gb stick and the 450w psu. but a lot of people seems to be against the 450w psu, so i might go with the 520w neo eco psu to be safe.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=20

I'd still say getting a 2x4gb kit will save you money in the long run, but if you wont use 8gb then there is no opportunity cost, so you'll be fine.

That PSU will be cutting it close but it should work fine. People on Newegg have posted there builds with that same PSU without issues.

if you are truly on a budget I think its fine.

get yourself some cheap ram.

mkenyon

Banned
I have one in the top rear blowing out, two in front blowing in. The rear and one of the front fans is stock while the second one in front is the Spectre Pro that you mentioned a few pages back. I do have an extra Spectre Pro but like I mentioned in my last post I've already used up all the fan ports on my motherboard. I have the Bitfenix Shinobi Window case, GTX 560 ti.
You can plug them into straight power. The fans come with adapters to plug into molex (the big fat 4 pin ones). It's the same thing as your motherboard.

That RAM won't work with just one stick because your Motherboard only supports "Dual Channel" which means it needs TWO sticks of RAM. Some motherboards aren't dual channel (some support dual and triple channel).
Wrong. You can use one stick.
It depends on the motherboard:

My previous motherboard (granted that was eons ago) was such a motherboard. Perhaps it is more common now that most dual channel motherboards also support one stick at a time. I know this isn't always the case, though.
This all depends on an original issue, which is using more than one stick. In simple terms:

IF you are using more than one stick THEN it must be a matching pair.

There is no requirement for two sticks of RAM. I'm using a single stick on my quad channel motherboard over the past few days, for example. What dual channel allows is tandem use of the 4GB through the BUS.

Get the RAM MrBig linked, the Samsung stuff. EternalGamer is way off.

Sulla1980

Any Canucks have any experience ordering from Memory Express? Just noticed they not only price match, but beat prices by 25% of the difference which could really come in handy for a full build (depending on shipping).

I personally have not used them, but people on Red Flag Deals always use their price matching, and I have never seen anyone complaining about the store or its policies on that site...for what its worth.

hypernima

Banned
Hey guys i'm working on making a new computer build.
Now I don't necessarily need a big boss GFX card, because the priority for this computer is video/3d rendering work. Gaming is secondary since I might play d3 or bf3 later on this year.

I'm particularly interested in HT, because of how it helps for rendering and etc.
Is the new Ivy Bridge stuff worth making a build around it?

MooMoo

You can plug them into straight power. The fans come with adapters to plug into molex (the big fat 4 pin ones). It's the same thing as your motherboard.
Sweet. I'll fiddle around in a few games and if they don't go above low 70C (low 70C for graphics card under load should be good-ish right?) then I probably won't bother with the extra fan. From what I can tell, furmark is supposed to be a worst case scenario situation anyways.

mkenyon

Banned
Hey guys i'm working on making a new computer build.
Now I don't necessarily need a big boss GFX card, because the priority for this computer is video/3d rendering work. Gaming is secondary since I might play d3 or bf3 later on this year.

I'm particularly interested in HT, because of how it helps for rendering and etc.
Is the new Ivy Bridge stuff worth making a build around it?
If you're going to be doing it a lot, look at Sandy Bridge E, which is socket 2011. The 3930K destroys rendering tasks. In the image below, it's basically the same as the 3960X.

1321227864GYM7dFCLQd_6_1.png

Sweet. I'll fiddle around in a few games and if they don't go above low 70C (low 70C for graphics card under load should be good-ish right?) then I probably won't bother with the extra fan. From what I can tell, furmark is supposed to be a worst case scenario situation anyways.
Oh, Furmark. That makes more sense now. Yeah, you'll never ever ever see those temps doing anything other than Furmark. Is so synthetic, it's almost pointless outside of straight stress testing while overclocking.

This all depends on an original issue, which is using more than one stick. In simple terms:

IF you are using more than one stick THEN it must be a matching pair.

There is no requirement for two sticks of RAM. I'm using a single stick on my quad channel motherboard over the past few days, for example. What dual channel allows is tandem use of the 4GB through the BUS.

Get the RAM MrBig linked, the Samsung stuff. EternalGamer is way off.

I was mainly suggesting 2 2GB sticks as a cheap option to take advantage of the 4 slots he has. However I'm still not convinced that it is universally the case that all motherboards that support dual channel also support single channel mode. My main suspicion comes froma time eons ago when I tried to install just one stick on a motherboard. However I realize that 1) that was a long time ago and 2) memory (mine not the PCs) can be somewhat unreliable.

If you are sure this is the case that you can always run in single channel regardless of the motherboard, then I agree that the samsung is the better option. He will just need to make sure he puts it in the designated slot (if there is one) and if he adds a second in the future, he would just have to make sure that he pairs it up with matching RAM.

JonCha

Ran all the test on Prime95, and I haven't even see my Core temps reach 70 Celsius. Tried to run Prime95 from HW though, and it just says "Prime 95 was cancelled."

Also tried to use 1920x1080 resolution, which my monitor supports, but it looked really dodgy. Gone a couple of resolutions down instead, which looks great!

tigerin

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=20

I'd still say getting a 2x4gb kit will save you money in the long run, but if you wont use 8gb then there is no opportunity cost, so you'll be fine.
is this one good? i've never heard of gskill before.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231394

That PSU will be cutting it close but it should work fine. People on Newegg have posted there builds with that same PSU without issues.

if you are truly on a budget I think its fine.

get yourself some cheap ram.

so i should be fine with the 450w?

this is what i do on my daily basics: neogaf, checknig mails, facebook, and sometimes netflix/youtube(only download files once in a while). with the new pc, i'm just ognig to add moderate gaming on top of that.

MrBig

Ran all the test on Prime95, and I haven't even see my Core temps reach 70 Celsius. Tried to run Prime95 from HW though, and it just says "Prime 95 was cancelled."

Also tried to use 1920x1080 resolution, which my monitor supports, but it looked really dodgy. Gone a couple of resolutions down instead, which looks great!

You should be running at native res, what monitor, cable, output, and settings are you using? Scaling the image from a non-native (the "recomended" resolution is the windows screen res dialogue should be, but is not always, your native res) resolution should look terrible, not the other way around.

Shambles

I personally have not used them, but people on Red Flag Deals always use their price matching, and I have never seen anyone complaining about the store or its policies on that site...for what its worth.

I like ME a lot and do most of my business with them. In the past I've had some issues with the price matching but they seem to have addressed them. Obviously as a brick and mortar store they don't have the selection that companies like newegg has but I'd much rather buy local if possible in case I have to deal with faulty parts.

tigerin

I was mainly suggesting 2 2GB sticks as a cheap option to take advantage of the 4 slots he has. However I'm still not convinced that it is universally the case that all motherboards that support dual channel also support single channel mode. My main suspicion comes froma time eons ago when I tried to install just one stick on a motherboard. However I realize that 1) that was a long time ago and 2) memory (mine not the PCs) can be somewhat unreliable.

If you are sure this is the case that you can always run in single channel regardless of the motherboard, then I agree that the samsung is the better option. He will just need to make sure he puts it in the designated slot (if there is one) and if he adds a second in the future, he would just have to make sure that he pairs it up with matching RAM.

so does it have to be the same brand to be a pair or does it only have to be ddr3?

so i should be fine with the 450w?

this is what i do on my daily basics: neogaf, checknig mails, facebook, and sometimes netflix/youtube(only download files once in a while). with the new pc, i'm just ognig to add moderate gaming on top of that.

With that videocard and processor, I think you'll be fine with the 450w. I have a similar build on a media center PC with the same wattage power supply and a Geforce 460 and it can run almost everything I throw at it at pretty high end specs (Skyrim, Diablo, Batman Arkham City etc.).

It may be the case that if you decide to add a second videocard and/or drastically overclock your processor in the future you may need a higher wattage, but for now you'd be fine, I think.

mkenyon

Banned
Holy crap. that is impressive.
I guess the sticker tag justifies the price..
I'll see what build I can make around this pronto.
YGPM
so does it have to be the same brand to be a pair or does it only have to be ddr3?
Generally, you want the exact same stuff. There is some really confusing exceptions around this if you want to go further though.

That Samsung RAM will be around for a long while. It's a brand new kit on a new manufacturing process that will start getting used by Corsair/Gskill/Patriot/Etc soon.

Not the same brand, just the same type. I think it is also a good idea that it be the same speed otherwise it will run all RAM at the lowest speed, though someone, I'm sure will disabuse me of this if I'm wrong.

tigerin

YGPM

Generally, you want the exact same stuff. There is some really confusing exceptions around this if you want to go further though.

That Samsung RAM will be around for a long while. It's a brand new kit on a new manufacturing process that will start getting used by Corsair/Gskill/Patriot/Etc soon.

so what you saying, is that i can buy(easier to find) an extra 4gb stick(samsung) of that in the future if i want since it's new?

will i noticed any major differences if i use one stick instead of two combined?

tigerin

Not the same brand, just the same type. I think it is also a good idea that it be the same speed otherwise it will run all RAM at the lowest speed, though someone, I'm sure will disabuse me of this if I'm wrong.

okay, to be safe, it better to buy the exact same one as the one you have.

mkenyon

Banned
YOU ARE A HORRIBLE PERSON.

(agreed)
so what you saying, is that i can buy(easier to find) an extra 4gb stick(samsung) of that in the future if i want since it's new?

will i noticed any major differences if i use one stick instead of two combined?
Maybe slightly faster loading times, but not really. You would if you were doing lots of multimedia stuff.

JonCha

You should be running at native res, what monitor, cable, output, and settings are you using? Scaling the image from a non-native (the "recomended" resolution is the windows screen res dialogue should be, but is not always, your native res) resolution should look terrible, not the other way around.

Monitor: SyncMaster P23070HD
Cable: HDMI

And what specific settings do you mean? The resolution I'm currently using is 1680x1050 @60Hz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom