• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takuya

Banned

ProXimity

Banned
So I got my build together but when I power it on, it lights up, the fan spins for a second, then it powers down and tries to power up again (with the same result) a few seconds later. What's up?

So I got my build together but when I power it on, it lights up, the fan spins for a second, then it powers down and tries to power up again (with the same result) a few seconds later. What's up?

Stupid response: But did you plug the power supply into the into the additional 8 (or possibly 4) pin connector on the mother board? There should be one 24pin (20+4) power connector and one additional 4 or 8(4+4) pin. I had this happen to me when I was building my PC last week too, and I overlooked this stupid little thing.

Or perhaps, there is some jumper setting you missed? Or maybe the power supply isn't adequate enough?

Bombadil

Banned

This shit happened to me once. It was because of some mistake I made in the BIOS. Check the connectors on your PSU and if there's a reset button your mobo, press it, and keep pressing it until the damn thing turns on.

Haven't built a system in some time - my old rig was an early EVGA X58 with 8800 Ultra, so I decided to upgrade.

AlZ2G.jpg

Intel i7 3960x
Corsair H100 + 4 Corsair SP120's in push pull
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
Corsair 16 GB Dominator GT 2133Mhz
Crucial m4 256GB
Corsair AX1200 psu + red sleeved cables
Corsair 800D Case

It took forever but I did manage to find 2 GTX 690's, but they won't be here until next week. I'll probably have a plethora of questions when I have more time to play with it tomorrow. This is my first watercooled rig, so what temps are considered average for the 3906x at stock? It's currently idling around 25 ºC but that's because it's colder than usual here in socal.

ProXimity

Banned
Stupid response: But did you plug the power supply into the into the additional 8 (or possibly 4) pin connector on the mother board? There should be one 24pin (20+4) power connector and one additional 4 or 8(4+4) pin. I had this happen to me when I was building my PC last week too, and I overlooked this stupid little thing.

Or perhaps, there is some jumper setting you missed? Or maybe the power supply isn't adequate enough?

I have all those plugged in. Maybe it's the video card? I can't tell what the issue is so I can't really troubleshoot it. I have tried multiple ways of connecting the MSI GTX 670 to my power supply. I have used the PCI-E 6+2 and a regular PCI-E 6. I've also tried plugging in 2 PCI-E 6's using the Molex->PCI-E connectors I got with my card. I have no idea what's goin' onnnnnn.

I'm connecting the video card to a monitor via HDMI if that helps. The monitor just isn't picking up any display despite the fans on the mobo, video card, and cooler working. It's just a black screen.

I have all those plugged in. Maybe it's the video card? I can't tell what the issue is so I can't really troubleshoot it. I have tried multiple ways of connecting the MSI GTX 670 to my power supply. I have used the PCI-E 6+2 and a regular PCI-E 6. I've also tried plugging in 2 PCI-E 6's using the Molex->PCI-E connectors I got with my card. I have no idea what's goin' onnnnnn.

Hmm.... Did you try running it without the GPU plugged in? Try taking out components one by one and start it up?

LordAlu

Any other ideas? I'm dying here...
I take it safe mode doesn't work? If you have it plugged only plugged into the TV, when you first turn on the computer do you still see the BIOS screens? You should at the very least see these as every TV should be capable of that.

Haven't built a system in some time - my old rig was an early EVGA X58 with 8800 Ultra, so I decided to upgrade.

Intel i7 3960x
Corsair H100 + 4 Corsair SP120's in push pull
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
Corsair 16 GB Dominator GT 2133Mhz
Crucial m4 256GB
Corsair AX1200 psu + red sleeved cables
Corsair 800D Case

It took forever but I did manage to find 2 GTX 690's, but they won't be here until next week. I'll probably have a plethora of questions when I have more time to play with it tomorrow. This is my first watercooled rig, so what temps are considered average for the 3906x at stock? It's currently idling around 25 ºC but that's because it's colder than usual here in socal.

Must be nice to be rich (lol). Looks sweet! Nice on the 256 SSD.

Man if 512 SSD's get affordable I think I could get by with that as my only drive, hell probably could with 256 really...not that I'd want to really, as the system drive/data drive format makes it a lot easier when reformats are needed.

I think Nvidia's market share on GAF must be 99.99999% LOL.

ProXimity

Banned
I'm pretty sure it boots, I just get no display. Everything spins up and all the lights/displays on the mobo (Dr. Debug whatever that is) light up. I can press power/reset but ti doesn't do anything. If I took out the card, I think it'd still power up.

demigod

I don't have anything to connect my PC to the monitor if I take out the VGA card. There are no HDMI ports on any other part of it.

Doesn't your motherboard have onboard graphics? Do you have a DVI or VGA cable to plug into the onboard? Then go into Bios and disable onboard.

ProXimity

Banned
Doesn't your motherboard have onboard graphics? Do you have a DVI or VGA cable to plug into the onboard? Then go into Bios and disable onboard.

I can try a VGA cable. I am worried that I fucked this whole thing up. I've done a bunch of looking around on the internet and I'm experiencing the same symptoms as people who have had their motherboards just crap out on them. I just got the dang thing and I don't know what business or person I can take it to to fix this potentially $1700 mistake.

ArecxP

Banned
Okay guys, I need some help. I'm trying to connect my PC to my HDTV (Sony Bravia) but for some reason I don't know, my TV isn't recognizing the signal (it says unsupported signal. check display output) and my computer doesn't recognize the tv. I put the HDMI cord into the only HDMI port I have in the back of my computer.

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H and a GTX 560ti. I know the 560ti used mini-HDMI but I don't think I need to be using that anyway. I can't figure out why the sole HDMI port isn't working. Help please :( I'm not that computer savvy so please forgive me if the answer is rather simple.

LordAlu

Okay guys, I need some help. I'm trying to connect my PC to my HDTV (Sony Bravia) but for some reason I don't know, my TV isn't recognizing the signal (it says unsupported signal. check display output) and my computer doesn't recognize the tv. I put the HDMI cord into the only HDMI port I have in the back of my computer.

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H and a GTX 560ti. I know the 560ti used mini-HDMI but I don't think I need to be using that anyway. I can't figure out why the sole HDMI port isn't working. Help please :( I'm not that computer savvy so please forgive me if the answer is rather simple.
You'll need to use the mini-HDMI to HDMI adapter included with your graphics card to connect it. If you plug it into the HDMI port that's on your motherboard it won't work, since your computer isn't using your motherboard graphics.

Grab the adapter from your box and use that to connect it to the mini-HDMI port :)

alternade

God the wait for my stuff to arrive is killing me! Ordered thursday night, expected tuesday. I live in las vegas which is 4 hours from where it shipped so maybe a miracle can happen and itll arrive tomorrow.

ArecxP

Banned
You'll need to use the mini-HDMI to HDMI adapter included with your graphics card to connect it. If you plug it into the HDMI port that's on your motherboard it won't work, since your computer isn't using your motherboard graphics.

Grab the adapter from your box and use that to connect it to the mini-HDMI port :)

Aww man, I bought my PC custom made from someone else over Ebay and they didn't include the adapter. Sucks for me. Guess a trip to amazon is in order. Thanks for the help.

demigod

Please tell me there's somewhere I can bring this to have them look at it.

Did you even install windows yet?

God the wait for my stuff to arrive is killing me! Ordered thursday night, expected tuesday. I live in las vegas which is 4 hours from where it shipped so maybe a miracle can happen and itll arrive tomorrow.

I know that feeling, had to reorder an Asus 670 GTX from newegg on thursday with 2day air and i'm not getting it til Tuesday.

ProXimity

Banned
Did you even install windows yet?

I know that feeling, had to reorder an Asus 670 GTX from newegg on thursday with 2day air and i'm not getting it til Tuesday.

No. Absolutely nothing pops up on the monitor. I hooked it up with HDMI and VGA and my monitor still said No Signal. I'm using the ASRock X79 Extreme6 with a Hyper 612 cooler, MSI GTX 670 gpu.

I tried using different power cables, too. I used the right ones, but I had multiple PCI-E cords that ended in a six pin as well as some that were PCI-E that were to be split with a molex cord. My PSU seems to be doing its job; all the LEDs and fans turn on. The reset button on my mobo works, and the clr CMOS button in the back panel, when pressed, powers down the pc and gives it a second til it starts up again.

I basically can't get to the BIOS, but I'm really scared that I did some damage to my motherboard because the heatsink wouldn't fit no matter what braces I used. I ended up screwing in two opposite corners (of the four) in to secure it evenly, but I tried and tried to get all four pins to line up. I could never get all four to actually penetrate the screwholes they're supposed to. They wouldn't go into the pin slots far enough to catch the threads. I'm afraid that I bent my motherboard trying to screw it in like that. It doesn't look bent or damaged but it's become clear I really lack the know-how to do this properly. I prepared my butt off and still fucked up.

I honestly don't know what to do. It's a really strange, sinking feeling when you realize you just bombed $1700 of hard work and savings.

I'm leaving it alone overnight, but won't the thermal paste harden so much that I won't be able to take off the heatsink without breaking the mobo or CPU underneath it?

ProXimity

Banned
I hear no beeps whatsoever. I'll try and take some pictures today after I get home from the worst, longest day of work in a long time (even though it's only a five hour shift). What about the thermal paste? Will it be too dried tomorrow to take it mobo/heatsink/cpu back apart without breaking it?

MrBig

I hear no beeps whatsoever. I'll try and take some pictures today after I get home from the worst, longest day of work in a long time (even though it's only a five hour shift). What about the thermal paste? Will it be too dried tomorrow to take it mobo/heatsink/cpu back apart without breaking it?

Call Asrock and request that they crossship and overnight a new mobo to you. It sounds like a mobo problem to me but there's no way to sure since you can't test the other components. Don't worry about the thermal paste.

froliq

Make sure your RAM is pushed in properly. It sounds stupid, but that was the problem for me last time I worked on a build.

Yoshiya

Would my cash be better invested in a larger SSD, given the speed by which flash drops in price, or getting a 3770k instead of the 3570k?

Edit: Fixed.

Pandemic

Hi hi, anyone have an idea as to why my monitor hasn't been registering the graphics card lately? Whenever I turn the PC on, it says ''no signal found'', and after tweaking with it for an hour, it eventually works.

This happened around a month ago, but then worked throughout the month, and problem started again a day ago...

I tried the monitor on another PC, and works fine..

1-D_FTW

Aww man, I bought my PC custom made from someone else over Ebay and they didn't include the adapter. Sucks for me. Guess a trip to amazon is in order. Thanks for the help.

I think the adapters suck and are prone to warping from supporting all the weight on the cable. I'd suggest just buying a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable like this:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=mini+hdmi

Just make sure it's not micro-to-HDMI. Because there are 3 HDMI sizes and you want the middle size.

MrBig

Would my cash be better invested in a larger SSD, given the speed by which flash drops in price, or getting a 3750k instead of the 3570k?

Assuming you meant the 2500k or 3570k, I would go with a 2500k + 256gb SSD, or a 128gb SSD + data HDD + 2500k.

e: maybe you meant 3770k? It really depends on what you're going to be doing with it, you can't really give a general recommendation for that.

ProXimity

Banned
Call Asrock and request that they crossship and overnight a new mobo to you. It sounds like a mobo problem to me but there's no way to sure since you can't test the other components. Don't worry about the thermal paste.

I'll try them, but their customer service is closed until Monday anyway.

@froliq, I tried taking out memory and just booting up with one stick, too. No avail.

Yoshiya

Assuming you meant the 2500k or 3570k, I would go with a 2500k + 256gb SSD, or a 128gb SSD + data HDD + 2500k.

e: maybe you meant 3770k? It really depends on what you're going to be doing with it, you can't really give a general recommendation for that.

I meant Ivy Bridge i7 vs i5. My main concern is that while any SSD would be better replaced after a few years, a CPU better suited to heavily threaded computing might have significantly extended longevity. I'm primarily concerned with stretching my dollars as far as they can go.

General computing applications, some gaming. I know HyperThreading is particularly beneficial for video transcoding, but I guess that would be irrelevant if Quick Sync was ever implemented in x264...

ProXimity

Banned
That's always the first thing you do when you have those kind of problems, reset CMOS and try without the battery as well.

How do I take the CMOS battery out of my ASRock X79 Extreme6/GB mobo? Like I said, I never got those jumper pins that I read about in conjunction with the CMOS battery removal.

mhayze

I'll try them, but their customer service is closed until Monday anyway.

@froliq, I tried taking out memory and just booting up with one stick, too. No avail.

Do you have the mobo securely screwed into the backing plate and ensured that there is no warping and no shorts (metal to metal contact) on the back of the motherboard?

Sethos

Banned
How do I take the CMOS battery out of my ASRock X79 Extreme6/GB mobo? Like I said, I never got those jumper pins that I read about in conjunction with the CMOS battery removal.

Just press the little clip at the battery upwards ( or downards, depending which way it's oriented - Away from the battery in any case ) as much as you can, battery should fall out or get loose enough for you to take it out.

ProXimity

Banned
Do you have the mobo securely screwed into the backing plate and ensured that there is no warping and no shorts (metal to metal contact) on the back of the motherboard?

Yes.

And I'll try that ^

Do i take out the battery then power on? Or do i take it out for a bit, put it back in, and then power on?

kaskade

I think I found a basic setup of what I'd like. 8gb ram, i5 2500k, hd 6870. The one thing I'm kind of confused on is Motherboards. I feel like there's so many options (I know I have to pick an intel one). What's the difference between 68 and 77 models? It seems like the ones in my price range tend to be 68 models.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think I found a basic setup of what I'd like. 8gb ram, i5 2500k, hd 6870. The one thing I'm kind of confused on is Motherboards. I feel like there's so many options (I know I have to pick an intel one). What's the difference between 68 and 77 models? It seems like the ones in my price range tend to be 68 models.

If you get a 2500k, a Z68 board would be fine. Z77 is for Ivy Bridge CPUs and their new features.

No Signal. I'm using the ASRock X79 Extreme6

Looking at the manual for this board, did you plug the RAM into the correct priority?

1. Due to Intel® CPU spec defi nition, please install the memory modules
on DDR3_A1, DDR3_B1, DDR3_C1 and DDR3_D1 for the
fi rst priority. If above four DDR3 DIMM slots are fully installed, and
you want to use more than four memory modules, please install the
other memory modules from left to right (from DDR3_A2, DDR3_
B2, DDR3_D2 to DDR3_C2.)

2. If only two memory modules are installed in the DDR3 DIMM slots,
then Dual Channel Memory Technology is activated. If three memory
modules are installed, then Triple Channel Memory Technology
is activated. If more than four memory modules are installed in the
DDR3 DIMM slots, then Quad Channel Memory Technology is activated.

Also your board appears to have a Clear CMOS switch which resets the values. But you have probably already read the manual front to back by now.

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!
No. Absolutely nothing pops up on the monitor. I hooked it up with HDMI and VGA and my monitor still said No Signal. I'm using the ASRock X79 Extreme6 with a Hyper 612 cooler, MSI GTX 670 gpu.

When you hooked it up via HDMI or VGA. Did you unplug your gpu and plug your hdmi/vga cable directly to your motherboard? Rule out your graphics card before you're certain it's your motherboard.

ProXimity

Banned
Take it out and power on, if it works you can switch off again and pop it back in.

Okay. If that doesn't work, then what? I'm at work so having a list of things to try when I get home will help.

I have checked to make sure i put the memory in the correct slots and i have.

Lizard, i can't. There'sno hdmi or vga port on my mobo's rear connector panel.

Ace 8095

I have a 2500k and a Biostar TZ77XE3.

I've overclocked my cpu to 4ghz, however I'm having some strange issues with voltage. I have my voltage fixed at 1.25 volts in the bios. Below is a screengrab with the cpu idle.

0MvTj.png

In idle it's at the correct voltage.

However when the cpu is under load the voltage drops to 1.176 volts.

m8JAx.png

It seems to me the voltage should be lower in idle and higher under load. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

hypernima

Banned
Alright so with help from mkenyon I've got a decent build to hold me til IB-E drops
Now to just see if I can get an ACD on the cheap
(a friend has offered to sell me his GPUs for cheap but I included them on the list anyways)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($289.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 86.2 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($66.00 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($239.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: Samsung 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($23.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Samsung 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($23.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($78.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 460 1GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($212.43 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 460 1GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($212.43 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($152.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1360.79
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-05-26 12:18 EDT-0400)

Don't bother with the 64gb SSD if you don't have a new data drive for it, get a 128 so you don't want to strangle yourself a few days later.

Forgot to mention I might get a 500GB somewhere for cheap

MrBig

Don't bother with the 64gb SSD if you don't have a new data drive for it, get a 128 so you don't want to strangle yourself a few days later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom