• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey chaps i'm getting all my parts tomorrow but without the Evo 212 because it was damaged stock apparently, it should cool to set everything up then change the stock cooler sometime next week right? Is there any coolers you would recommend if it's not possible to get the Evo? Depending what it is i might be able to get it for tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

while it is just fine to use the stock cooler (unless you are OC-ing from the get go) keep in mind that if you put everything together without having the 212 on-hand you will have to take apart everything again once you do because there is a piece that will go under/beneath your motherboard for the EVO 212 to screw into. I would recommend waiting until you have all the parts.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I have an XL2370 23" Samsung LED Monitor. I also have a GTX 560Ti.

I have $400 to spend. I am contemplating upgrading my monitor to a Dell U2412M e-IPS (my wife needs a widescreen) but I am also tempted to get a GTX 670. Which would be the better upgrade overall?

MrBig

I have an XL2370 23" Samsung LED Monitor. I also have a GTX 560Ti.

I have $400 to spend. I am contemplating upgrading my monitor to a Dell U2412M e-IPS (my wife needs a widescreen) but I am also tempted to get a GTX 670. Which would be the better upgrade overall?

If you wanted to make it an even harder decision you could make it between this and a 670

S-IPS, 2560x1440, amazing colors, and good response times. Read reviews on the Apple 27" cinema displays to learn more about it, it's the same panel.

though a 560 might explode having to push that many pixels

RedSwirl

So if I were going to indeed upgrade to a new desktop for HTPC gaming, what would be a good suggestion for something I could get this summer (or fall)? I don't think I'm going to build from scratch quite yet so I'm looking at pre-built gaming rigs that I can upgrade later. Preferably I'd like the base system to be under $1500.

My Current Specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 3.2GHz
3GB RAM
HD6850 1GB VRAM (I got this a year ago)
Vista 32bit

I imagine I'll want some kind of i7 for the CPU and probably 8GB of RAM, but what I'm unsure about is the GPU. Are there any great upgrades over the 6850 yet that aren't really expensive? I'm not exactly looking for a 680 here, but I would like something that could get me into the eventual next gen gaming.

How good is the Alienware X51 for this kind of thing? Can it be upgraded as easily as other systems?

ombz

while it is just fine to use the stock cooler (unless you are OC-ing from the get go) keep in mind that if you put everything together without having the 212 on-hand you will have to take apart everything again once you do because there is a piece that will go under/beneath your motherboard for the EVO 212 to screw into. I would recommend waiting until you have all the parts.

If his case has a cut out behind the motherboard, it should be pretty easy to install the cooler without having to take anything apart.

MrBig

I've now got my build fully ordered.

I got some more money than I was expecting from something, So I'm okay with going over my budget.
$1250 for the build, but I still have to buy my $400 monitor in a week or so. Selling my old laptop to pay for the monitor and a few games once I get this build running.

Looks like the holiday weekend is delaying the final deliveries until 5/30 though. I will never again spread my build out over time, its not worth it.

mkenyon

Banned
the RX line are among the best performers, the EX performs less due to being thinner but it has more surface area as its 140 mm ... so I'd say 100 W for the RX240 and a little less than 200 W for the EX420. So that's 300W of heat removed with 1000 rpm fans (nice and silent) at 10c water(-to-ambient) delta (not extremely low, but surely better than a H100)

300W should be enough for a Six Core 2011 + 690 GPU in gaming, especially because we won't have voltage adjustment on the 670/80/90 ever ... Intel Burn Test + Furmark is going to generate more heat, but then you should just turn the fans up higher ;)

I don't recommend compression and tubing to be the same, they HAVE to be the same else they won't work :p compression fittings work with a separate threaded "nut" that screws down over the base fitting so that it very tightly grips the tubing. If the compression fittings you use have different dimensions than the tubing they will never be correctly secured; i.e. either the tubing is loose or the nut doesn't have enough threading

tubing has inner and outer diameters, the larger the size difference between the two the more bend radius the tubing has without kinking. Inner Diameter should be at least 3/8. Basically the three most used dimensions are 3/8 ID 1/2 OD, 3/8 ID 5/8 OD (thicker walls so more bending) and 1/2 ID 3/4 OD. There are a lot more sizes but it's harder to find fittings for those.

Higher ID allows for a little more flow, but flowrates should never be an issue unless you go crazy with blocks and radiators and use only a single pump. The 3/4 OD tubing is also rather massive, and although you might like or not like the look of that, the main issue I have with it is that the compression fittings themselves become so bulky that they have issues fitting on certain blocks, as the threaded holes for fittings are too close together. So if you go for that size, always google whether the block you're choosing fits with compression fittings of that size. In general I think most 3/8 ID tubing setups use compression fittings, whereas most 3/4 OD setups I see use regular barbs with clamps

anyway this is a good video showing the difference between the types of fittings, and how they should be installed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5uQAUre9CY&feature=plcp

I've also heard pretty good things about those Monsoon Free Center compression fittings. Although I'm not that impressed by their looks, they come with a special wrench which allows you to easily install them and their compression rings. (which sounds great because everytime I redo my loop my fingertops are raw for days because of hand-tightening all those fittings lol)

as for the pump; D5 if you have the space.
Barbs are where its at now. Cleaner, and just as reliable. Only downside is you don't get to re-use tubing.

IIRC the EX performs equally as well as the RX, but because of the higher FPI, you need fast fans to get that equal performance.

mkenyon

Banned
So if I were going to indeed upgrade to a new desktop for HTPC gaming, what would be a good suggestion for something I could get this summer (or fall)? I don't think I'm going to build from scratch quite yet so I'm looking at pre-built gaming rigs that I can upgrade later. Preferably I'd like the base system to be under $1500.

My Current Specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 3.2GHz
3GB RAM
HD6850 1GB VRAM (I got this a year ago)
Vista 32bit

I imagine I'll want some kind of i7 for the CPU and probably 8GB of RAM, but what I'm unsure about is the GPU. Are there any great upgrades over the 6850 yet that aren't really expensive? I'm not exactly looking for a 680 here, but I would like something that could get me into the eventual next gen gaming.

How good is the Alienware X51 for this kind of thing? Can it be upgraded as easily as other systems?
Build your own. It's so easy.

X51 is kind of crappy, IMO.
Hey chaps i'm getting all my parts tomorrow but without the Evo 212 because it was damaged stock apparently, it should cool to set everything up then change the stock cooler sometime next week right? Is there any coolers you would recommend if it's not possible to get the Evo? Depending what it is i might be able to get it for tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.
Not if he has a fairly modern case with a large CPU cutout. If that is the case (pun intended), then by all means go ahead.

CM TPC 812, and NZXT Havik are both really good coolers, though a bit more pricey. H40 is decent too if you find it on sale.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So I've been out of the PC/hardware game for a few years now and am absolutely clueless as to what kind of computer to get. If I get the "enhanced" $700 build from the OP, would that allow me to run most games at top settings?

CMDBob

Upgrading my PC from a AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE (I know, I know, it was cheaper at the time I built it (mid 2010) and it overclocks well enough, if a bit hot) and am looking at the new i5-3750k (but I can go for a 2500k if needs be), an SSD and a new Mobo.
I'm going for this for the CPU and this for the SSD I want plus associated cables and junk (hey, a 120GB ssd for £70? I'll take it!).

Not sure which mobo to go for though. I really don't want to pay too much either, as the processor's already about £170. Any advice GAF?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Actually if anything I'll probably just order a pre-built PC because I really don't have the time to be building my own system. I can get this system from Dell for $850. Thoughts?

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
PROCESSORS 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3770 processor 3.40 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.90 GHz
MEMORY 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 2 DIMMs
VIDEO CARD AMD Radeon™ HD 7570 1GB GDDR5
WIRELESS Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth v4.0+LE
SOUND CARD Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio 4
USB 3.0 Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet

mkenyon

Banned
So I've been out of the PC/hardware game for a few years now and am absolutely clueless as to what kind of computer to get. If I get the "enhanced" $700 build from the OP, would that allow me to run most games at top settings?
At what FPS? The big game hogs will not run at max, but just about everything else will at at least 30FPS, which I know some people find acceptable.
But if I were to look at some of the rigs from Newegg or somewhere, what would be a good starting point for the price I noted above?
Compare parts in the OP with what is offered on prebuilts.

Actually if anything I'll probably just order a pre-built PC because I really don't have the time to be building my own system. I can get this system from Dell for $850. Thoughts?

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
PROCESSORS 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3770 processor 3.40 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.90 GHz
MEMORY 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 2 DIMMs
VIDEO CARD AMD Radeon™ HD 7570 1GB GDDR5
WIRELESS Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth v4.0+LE
SOUND CARD Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio 4
USB 3.0 Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet
You don't have an afternoon? Literally takes 6 hours max if you have no idea what you're doing.

The videocard there is crap. Like, much worse than the 6850 even.

*edit* If you are dead set on a pre-built gaming machine, you should buy from one of the companies that actually make gaming PC's. Maingear, Origin, etc. They use real motherboards and powersupplies as opposed to proprietary crap that is only designed to work with what is in it.

*edit 2* Looks like about $1400-1600 to match the $900 build in the OP.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, I just have no idea how to build a computer and don't wanna mess it up and end up with a non-functioning PC. Is it really easy to build one from scratch?

Also I'd like to be able to run stuff like Battlefield 3 at 30 FPS at least. Not that I'm going to play BF3, that's just the power I would like it to have. So I guess the enhanced from the OP wouldn't do the trick?

MrBig

Hmm, I just have no idea how to build a computer and don't wanna mess it up and end up with a non-functioning PC. Is it really easy to build one from scratch?

Also I'd like to be able to run stuff like Battlefield 3 at 30 FPS at least. Not that I'm going to play BF3, that's just the power I would like it to have. So I guess the enhanced from the OP wouldn't do the trick?

Basically all it is now is plugging things into slots. Nothing difficult.

Shambles

I have kind of a odd question, I'm overclocking my Q6600, which the only way I can is raising the FSB I think, anyways I noticed when I raised it to 3.0, the Windows startup chime sounds stuttery and corrupted. Everything else is fine but that kinda bugs me...

Also any Q6600 OC tips? I think I read somewhere that at some point you may need to up the north bridge voltage? Not even sure if my motherboard is capable of that...

3.0Ghz is right on the line of where the CPU is going to need more than stock voltage. Considering how old the chip is now that point is probably more like 2.8 or 2.9. Like the other poster said, stress test it and see if the system is stable, chances are that it's not. If you keep overclocking your NB will need more voltage as well.

JonCha

Got blue screen after trying to load the Sonic Generations demo in Steam (played it day or two ago and was fine):

BCCode: d1
BCP1: 0000000000000331
BCP2: 0000000000000002
BCP3: 0000000000000001
BCP4: FFFFF88003B0176E
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

First time its happened; a quick Google search said it might be hardware related?

clav

Got blue screen after trying to load the Sonic Generations demo in Steam (played it day or two ago and was fine):

First time its happened; a quick Google search said it might be hardware related?

Do you overclock?

If your run a Prime95 test, and it halts on its own, your system is not stable.

LordAlu

That Sonic Generations demo seems pretty weird. We recently built an i5 3570k build with 8GB RAM and a GTX 670. No over clock or anything, yet the demo crashes after about 4 or 5 minutes. Other games run fine though, including quite surprisingly the full version of Generations.

So I'm looking to build a PC with the specific intention of being able to emulate Wii games at *full speed* (namely Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Xenoblade, and New Super Mario Bros Wii). I also would like to be able to connect 4 external hard drives via USB 3.0.

To that end, I've put together this build. Can someone let me know if I'm going overkill on any of these components?

Core i7 3770 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard [link]

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 1024MB GDDR5 PCIe 2.0 16x Video Card

8GB DDR3-1600

Microcenter is having a deal where you get like $50 off the Motherboard if you get an i5 3570K processor, so I would like to know if I would still have more than enough CPU power with the i5 3570K or if I should just spring for the i7 3770.

Any advice?

1-D_FTW

I have kind of a odd question, I'm overclocking my Q6600, which the only way I can is raising the FSB I think, anyways I noticed when I raised it to 3.0, the Windows startup chime sounds stuttery and corrupted. Everything else is fine but that kinda bugs me...

Also any Q6600 OC tips? I think I read somewhere that at some point you may need to up the north bridge voltage? Not even sure if my motherboard is capable of that...

3 Ghz is pretty low to be raising the voltage on the NB. It could be that. It could be RAM. It could also be a FSB black hole (google it). 3Ghz is where a lot of boards fall into a pit. The good news, is if it's that, raising your FSB high enough could possibly get you back out.

I've posted this before, but my old board had a black hole from like 360-400. The day I raised the FSB up to 405 is when I finally re-emerged and could continue overclocking. If your RAM is good enough, try going higher. It could surprise you.

JonCha

Do you overclock?

If your run a Prime95 test, and it halts on its own, your system is not stable.

That Sonic Generations demo seems pretty weird. We recently built an i5 3570k build with 8GB RAM and a GTX 670. No over clock or anything, yet the demo crashes after about 4 or 5 minutes. Other games run fine though, including quite surprisingly the full version of Generations.

How do I run a Prime95 test? Tied to get it going, but it wouldn't start for some reason.

And I haven't tried loading other games. Will do so when I get back in.

My comp also couldn't find any wireless networks afterwards ...

Edit: I don't overclock. Using i5 2400

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm looking to build a PC with the specific intention of being able to emulate Wii games at *full speed* (namely Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Xenoblade, and New Super Mario Bros Wii). I also would like to be able to connect 4 external hard drives via USB 3.0.

To that end, I've put together this build. Can someone let me know if I'm going overkill on any of these components?

Core i7 3770 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard [link]

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 1024MB GDDR5 PCIe 2.0 16x Video Card

8GB DDR3-1600

Microcenter is having a deal where you get like $50 off the Motherboard if you get an i5 3570K processor, so I would like to know if I would still have more than enough CPU power with the i5 3570K or if I should just spring for the i7 3770.

Any advice?

I'll reply here instead of the other thread.

3570K should be fine, it's the "successor" to the 2500k which was a fantastic CPU for emulating with Dolphin and PCSX2. Not sure if those OC quite as well as the 2500k did, but they should be able to hit 4GHz easily which would be fine for any compatible game on either emulator.

I haven't really followed PC parts or pricing a whole lot lately, but at least as of a few months ago the 560 wasn't a very good value. It would be fine for what you want to do though.

RedSwirl

I guess the main questions I need to answer here are:

-What are the advantages of an i7 versus an i5 or i3? Just how much of an upgrade are they from the Q6600?

-What is the best option for an upgrade over the HD6850 that won't add over $200 to my budget? How expensive are cards with more than 1GB of VRAM?

Just throw me a good roundabout spec for something that could run games for another four years on a TV.

My Current Specs.

Dinosur

My 5850 decided to shit the bed last night. Was playing Diablo, wondering what that annoying noise was, took off my headphones and the PC sounded like it was trying to follow SpaceX to the moon. I just put in a new PSU and SSD a month ago, so everything is still clean. CCC says the fan is only spinning at 21% but it's obviously going at 50 billion RPMs (temp was normal too).

Is 670 the way to go for a replacement and to get away from AMD for a little while, or should I save some money and just get a 7850?

MrBig

My 5850 decided to shit the bed last night. Was playing Diablo, wondering what that annoying noise was, took off my headphones and the PC sounded like it was trying to follow SpaceX to the moon. I just put in a new PSU and SSD a month ago, so everything is still clean. CCC says the fan is only spinning at 21% but it's obviously going at 50 billion RPMs (temp was normal too).

Is 670 the way to go for a replacement and to get away from AMD for a little while, or should I save some money and just get a 7850?

If you're just playing at 1920x1080 go for the 7850.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I guess the main questions I need to answer here are:

-What are the advantages of an i7 versus an i5 or i3? Just how much of an upgrade are they from the Q6600?

-What is the best option for an upgrade over the HD6850 that won't add over $200 to my budget? How expensive are cards with more than 1GB of VRAM?

Just throw me a good roundabout spec for something that could run games for another four years on a TV.

My Current Specs.

I'd have to double check for the features on the IB CPUs, but I think it's the same as SB. i5 would be your basic CPU, generally a quad core. i7 is like i5 but with Hyperthreading, which is unnecessary for a general purpose or gaming build. i3 is usually a dual core with Hyperthreading to simulate a couple extra cores in applications that support it.

A Sandy/Ivy Bridge CPU should be a good step above your Q6600. You wouldn't regret upgrading, though a Q6600 is still not bad for tasks like gaming as long as it's OC'd as far as I know.

As for the rest of your questions the spreadsheet in the OP should have you covered. Consider the "Enhanced" build, maybe with some changes here and there to suit your specific needs. I probably wouldn't even bother with a new GPU, the 6850 is pretty capable and should last you another year until better ones are out, then you can get a bigger jump for the money. Generally it's best not to upgrade a component just for the sake of upgrading, if it's meeting your needs right now just stick with it.

Edit: And I also wouldn't recommend going the prebuilt route with the intention of upgrading. It's more of a headache than it's worth since they tend to be very messy, PSUs might limit what components you can add, and you just spend more money in the end.

Dinosur

If you're just playing at 1920x1080 go for the 7850.

Yeah, 1920x1080 (or 1920x1200 depending on the game). I just know tears are shed if I can't play something at max ultra settings, so wanted to make sure nvidia hadn't trounced the 7850 too much. When I'm in the midst of building a new machine, I could tell you every stat about every possible component, but when I'm not, I pay absolutely no attention to what's going on, hehe.

MrBig

Yeah, 1920x1080 (or 1920x1200 depending on the game). I just know tears are shed if I can't play something at max ultra settings, so wanted to make sure nvidia hadn't trounced the 7850 too much. When I'm in the midst of building a new machine, I could tell you every stat about every possible component, but when I'm not, I pay absolutely no attention to what's going on, hehe.

Well, if you want to just set it to absolute max and get 60+ you'd be better off with a 670. You'd have to do some finagling in some more complex games to keep near max settings at 60 with a 7850.

RedSwirl

I'd have to double check for the features on the IB CPUs, but I think it's the same as SB. i5 would be your basic CPU, generally a quad core. i7 is like i5 but with Hyperthreading, which is unnecessary for a general purpose or gaming build. i3 is usually a dual core with Hyperthreading to simulate a couple extra cores in applications that support it.

A Sandy/Ivy Bridge CPU should be a good step above your Q6600. You wouldn't regret upgrading, though a Q6600 is still not bad for tasks like gaming as long as it's OC'd as far as I know.

So an i5 basically? How long will today's i5s stay useful? This is starting to sound a lot like the system my dad got himself a year ago, plus a real GPU.

I think what he got was a Dell with an i5, 8GB of RAM, an integrated 4840 (or something), and a 1080p monitor all for around $900. What would that system plus my 6850 be capable of?

As for the rest of your questions the spreadsheet in the OP should have you covered. Consider the "Enhanced" build, maybe with some changes here and there to suit your specific needs. I probably wouldn't even bother with a new GPU, the 6850 is pretty capable and should last you another year until better ones are out, then you can get a bigger jump for the money. Generally it's best not to upgrade a component just for the sake of upgrading, if it's meeting your needs right now just stick with it.

Really? The main thing I'm concerned about is next gen console games raising the bar in 2013 and 2014, but I guess I can just upgrade my card then. Like I said earlier, my HD6850 only struggles with The Witcher and Crysis 2 in DX11. I imagine the next 12 months will bring more PC games around that spec. R* just detailed the PC version of Max Payne 3 and it looks like they actually worked to make it a significant upgrade over the console version.

So going with another 6850 (or just taking out my current one) really isn't a bad choice for now? What's the best card you can get for under $200 this year?

Edit: And I also wouldn't recommend going the prebuilt route with the intention of upgrading. It's more of a headache than it's worth since they tend to be very messy, PSUs might limit what components you can add, and you just spend more money in the end.

I'm not talking about going with a pre-built Dell or HP like what I have now. I assumed there were places like Newegg that sold what were essentially "custom" rigs pre-assembled that were more conducive to tinkering and upgrading. In hindsight upgrading my Dell over the years wasn't THAT messy. I already upgraded its power supply once so doing to another system isn't a problem. Though the initial system was expensive, that was mostly because of a bunch of unnecessary software bundled with it.

I just think I wanna take another half-step like this before building from scratch.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So an i5 basically? How long will today's i5s stay useful? This is starting to sound a lot like the system my dad got himself a year ago, plus a real GPU.

I think what he got was a Dell with an i5, 8GB of RAM, an integrated 4840 (or something), and a 1080p monitor all for around $900. What would that system plus my 6850 be capable of?
Unless there is some sort of major shift in CPUs in the next few years, a 2500k/3570k should be capable for a long time, much like the Q6600 has been. Probably at least until 8-core CPUs become standard and are heavily supported, and right now they're barely on the radar on the consumer-level (and Intels quad-cores outperform AMD octa-cores anyway).

With that setup, you wouldn't run into anything you're going to struggle to run. Some newer, really intensive games might not be playable at max settings (as you mention in the section below), but you'll still get respectable high-settings out of it.

Really? The main thing I'm concerned about is next gen console games raising the bar in 2013 and 2014, but I guess I can just upgrade my card then. Like I said earlier, my HD6850 only struggles with The Witcher and Crysis 2 in DX11. I imagine the next 12 months will bring more PC games around that spec. R* just detailed the PC version of Max Payne 3 and it looks like they actually worked to make it a significant upgrade over the console version.

So going with another 6850 (or just taking out my current one) really isn't a bad choice for now? What's the best card you can get for under $200 this year?
The bolded is what I'd recommend. But that's just my personal recommendation, if you'd rather be able to play games like those you listed in higher settings right now, then upgrading your GPU would be fine. But I think you'll get a better deal in terms of price/performance on your upgrade if you wait at least one more GPU "generation." AMD and NVidia's next GPUs will probably be bigger upgrades than their previous ones were, relatively.

Next-gen consoles will likely bring with them a bump in PC system requirements too. So it's one of those cases where I prefer to wait a bit longer. I'm still rocking a 5850, and will probably upgrade when AMD and Nvidia release their next GPU series unless I see a reason not to (crap pricing, unexpectedly low performance increases, who knows what could pop up).

GTX560/6870 still look like the best GPUs under $200, might be able to get a 6950 or a 560 Ti for $200 with a rebate.

I'm not talking about going with a pre-built Dell or HP like what I have now. I assumed there were places like Newegg that sold what were essentially "custom" rigs pre-assembled that were more conducive to tinkering and upgrading. In hindsight upgrading my Dell over the years wasn't THAT messy. I already upgraded its power supply once so doing to another system isn't a problem. Though the initial system was expensive, that was mostly because of a bunch of unnecessary software bundled with it.

I just think I wanna take another half-step like this before building from scratch.

Something like that would be fine then, they do sell barebones kits. I thought you meant re-purposing a Dell or something.

RedSwirl

GTX560/6870 still look like the best GPUs under $200, might be able to get a 6950 or a 560 Ti for $200 with a rebate.

How much of a leap is that over a 6850? If it's not much, then is the best plan to get a new system now with the same card, and then upgrade that system next year?

MrBig

How much of a leap is that over a 6850? If it's not much, then is the best plan to get a new system now with the same card, and then upgrade that system next year?

I would keep the 6850, spending money on a <$200 card now won't be much of an upgrade. Consoles are out in ~2014 so I'd wait till 2013 or 2014 and buy from the new gen of GPUs that are out then.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Not significant enough to be worth it, in my opinion. It's literally "one step" up from the GPU you have, the next best card. It wouldn't make anything you're currently struggling with suddenly playable or last any longer than your 6850 will.

So yeah, upgrading the rest now will probably net you benefits in a number of games thanks to a better CPU and more RAM. And they should last long enough that you can drop in a GPU and maybe a RAM upgrade (might not even need that) down the line and still have a perfectly capable build.

kaskade

Man, I'm thinking about building a machine. Partly just because I want to build something like a PC, partly for gaming. I just don't know if I want to spend the money. I guess I should start doing my research.

mkenyon

Banned
Too many half steps and you continue to put yourself in a precarious place where you are just outside of a reasonable upgrade leap, but still just outside of great performance.

Man, I'm thinking about building a machine. Partly just because I want to build something like a PC, partly for gaming. I just don't know if I want to spend the money. I guess I should start doing my research.
If you're asking this in here, you're clearly wanting some enablers.

So do it!

Archurro

I just installed graphics drivers for a new computer(using a GTX 560ti) using drivers found on the nvidia website, but after I rebooted, every time windows would load, it would give me a black screen. I went into safemode and uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled using the disc given with the graphics card, but it still doesn't work. Any help? Another note: it seems like it's changing the resolution to 1366 x 768 at 60Hz every time it loads windows too(linked up to a TV).

Edit:
Having the exact same problems as MenthiX on this thread: http://www.overclock.net/t/312790/black-screen-after-driver-install

Update: Hooked it up to a old monitor and it works perfectly, but still doesn't work when hooked up to the TV.

K' Dash

Do it, I had so much fun (and a little fustration) looking, researching and asking for the best parts to buy within my budget, I sold my 360 and all it's games and went full PC gaming, just waiting for my parts to arrive an couldn't be more excited.

Read the OP and if you live in USA there's no place like Newegg, pick a build, put everything in your cart, ask here for someone to take a look and then pull the trigger.

Easy as that.

Arc07

Just got everything except the video cards (2x ASUS GTX 680s). I bought them but was refunded my money because they sold out almost instantly when Newegg put them back up. Oh well. Anyone know if you can SLI the ASUS GTX cards with the DirectCU II cooling (3 slots wide)?

yxvnF.jpg
i7 3770K
Corsair H100
ASUS Sabertooth Z77
G.Skill Sniper 16GB PC2133
Corsair Force GT 240GB
Corsair AX850 PSU
NZXT Switch 810 case.

Pulling an ASUS Xonar 7.1 and a BR-RW off my current machine to complete the build.

mkenyon

Banned
I just installed graphics drivers for a new computer(using a GTX 560ti) using drivers found on the nvidia website, but after I rebooted, every time windows would load, it would give me a black screen. I went into safemode and uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled using the disc given with the graphics card, but it still doesn't work. Any help? Another note: it seems like it's changing the resolution to 1366 x 768 at 60Hz every time it loads windows too(linked up to a TV).

Edit:
Having the exact same problems as MenthiX on this thread: http://www.overclock.net/t/312790/black-screen-after-driver-install

Update: Hooked it up to a old monitor and it works perfectly, but still doesn't work when hooked up to the TV.
Hook it up to both the monitor and the TV at the same time. set the TV as the secondary display and mess with the settings until it shows up. The TV just doesnt like the format/signal it's getting sent.

Hey Guys, I just got my first computer and I was wondering if Windows Securities Essentials is fine by itself or do I need an external virus protection software like Avast?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hey Guys, I just got my first computer and I was wondering if Windows Securities Essentials is fine by itself or do I need an external virus protection software like Avast?

Security Essentials is AV software, you don't want to run more than one at a time.

You do generally want to use something like Malwarebytes for spyware along with it though. Run it once a week or something.

kaskade

Do it, I had so much fun (and a little fustration) looking, researching and asking for the best parts to buy within my budget, I sold my 360 and all it's games and went full PC gaming, just waiting for my parts to arrive an couldn't be more excited.

Read the OP and if you live in USA there's no place like Newegg, pick a build, put everything in your cart, ask here for someone to take a look and then pull the trigger.

Easy as that.

Yeah, whenever I see those steam sales I get so jealous. And there are definitely games that are just better on PC. I would love to play BF3. And even things like the modding community in GTA is insane. Fuck, I'm talking myself into it.

mkenyon

Banned
How can I set the TV as a secondary display?
Plug monitor into computer. Turn on computer. Plug TV into computer, turn on TV. Go into display settings and select the TV. Click "extend my desktop". Now mess with settings.
Yeah, whenever I see those steam sales I get so jealous. And there are definitely games that are just better on PC. I would love to play BF3. And even things like the modding community in GTA is insane. Fuck, I'm talking myself into it.
Wait wait. You dont already have one? Get to it, like now.

kaskade

Plug monitor into computer. Turn on computer. Plug TV into computer, turn on TV. Go into display settings and select the TV. Click "extend my desktop". Now mess with settings.

Wait wait. You dont already have one? Get to it, like now.
Nope. I have an older MBP as my primary machine. Luckily I get more hours in the summer so I shouldn't have a problem saving after I pay a few things off. Would I be looking at like 1k for a pretty decent machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom