• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

what_rhythm

Neo Member
Just got home from picking up two of the last three sticks of Samsung 30nm and a Hyper 212 Evo from Micro Center (Rockville).

ibpSKrFsct4yC2.jpg

It's been two months since I started following this thread and doing my own daily research on the subject PC components, and the family is now complete. Tonight will be so much fun. I'll post a picture of the completed build later.

I spent a total of ~$950 on everything you see here (besides the Windows Ultimate, which was given from my brother).

mkenyon

Banned
Nope. I have an older MBP as my primary machine. Luckily I get more hours in the summer so I shouldn't have a problem saving after I pay a few things off. Would I be looking at like 1k for a pretty decent machine?

OP builds, the "enhanced" runs everything great save for the big graphics hogs maxed out (Metro 2033, Witcher 2, BF3, Crysis 2 DX11).

Archurro

Plug monitor into computer. Turn on computer. Plug TV into computer, turn on TV. Go into display settings and select the TV. Click "extend my desktop". Now mess with settings.

Every time I plug in the TV, it switches the default monitor to the TV, thus unable to see anything. Even when I window+p to set the mode on extend or duplicate, it still shuts off when I plug in the TV cable.

AlexBasch

So, I'm looking to get a cheap G41MT-S2P motherboard for a little upgrade, but the thing says that it only accepts DDR3 1333 if you overclock the motherboard, otherwise it's 1066. Say, if I buy a DDR3 1333 and stick it in would I get the speed reduced to 1066 or it wouldn't work at all?

kaskade

OP builds, the "enhanced" runs everything great save for the big graphics hogs maxed out (Metro 2033, Witcher 2, BF3, Crysis 2 DX11).

Wow for 700 that's not bad at all. I already have a monitor. It's not the best but it'll work for now. The nice this about customizing the PC is that I can upgrade whatever I like. I was looking at the Excellent one. The hard thing about graphics cards and stuff (at least to someone who hasn't been following like me) is that the numbers are crazy.

RedSwirl

I would keep the 6850, spending money on a <$200 card now won't be much of an upgrade. Consoles are out in ~2014 so I'd wait till 2013 or 2014 and buy from the new gen of GPUs that are out then.

Not significant enough to be worth it, in my opinion. It's literally "one step" up from the GPU you have, the next best card. It wouldn't make anything you're currently struggling with suddenly playable or last any longer than your 6850 will.

So yeah, upgrading the rest now will probably net you benefits in a number of games thanks to a better CPU and more RAM. And they should last long enough that you can drop in a GPU and maybe a RAM upgrade (might not even need that) down the line and still have a perfectly capable build.

Cool. So to reiterate, a good thing to start with now would be an i5, 8GB of RAM, and a 6850 (transplant mine or buy another one), then upgrade the GPU when the new consoles hit?

Another thing I wanted to ask is what do these pre-built "barebones" desktops actually include? If I can get something that already has the CPU, RAM, and disc drives installed I think I could grab the necessary components to compliment them.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Cool. So to reiterate, a good thing to start with now would be an i5, 8GB of RAM, and a 6850 (transplant mine or buy another one), then upgrade the GPU when the new consoles hit?

Another thing I wanted to ask is what do these pre-built "barebones" desktops actually include? If I can get something that already has the CPU, RAM, and disc drives installed I think I could grab the necessary components to compliment them.

It's basically a complete PC, just no peripherals. I thought they used to have some decent builds but all the stuff now seems to be mini-HTPC/Shuttle type stuff with lower end components. Not really what you'd be after. Should have looked to see what was available before I brought it up I guess.

And I'd assume you would reuse the 6850 you have. Don't think it would be worth it to buy another one.

So I have a tower that is randomly shutting restarting itself. I figured the first thing I would try is a new power supply. So I bought one. Had my friend install it and he says that its missing the cable that plugs into the motherboard. I thought these things were standard? Am I missing something?

I know I'm ignorant when it comes to this stuff and I hate to bump my own post, but help would be greatly appreciated.

scogoth

Just got everything except the video cards (2x ASUS GTX 680s). I bought them but was refunded my money because they sold out almost instantly when Newegg put them back up. Oh well. Anyone know if you can SLI the ASUS GTX cards with the DirectCU II cooling (3 slots wide)?

i7 3770K
Corsair H100
ASUS Sabertooth Z77
G.Skill Sniper 16GB PC2133
Corsair Force GT 240GB
Corsair AX850 PSU
NZXT Switch 810 case.

Pulling an ASUS Xonar 7.1 and a BR-RW off my current machine to complete the build.

Post pics when done. That will look EPIC on the inside. Good Choices =]

Archurro

Sorry to bump my post, but I'm still stuck on what to do. I'm trying to fiddle with graphics settings to fix my PC working on a TV(using HDMI), but every time I try to load windows, everything turns blacks, but I can still hear the windows sounds. I think it has something to do with the refresh rate, but I'm honestly really lost. Any help?

Let me in

I'd like to add some extra fans to my case, but I need something cleared up.

I wanted the fans to match my case so I went to Corsair's website. I suppose it doesn't matter what case they're for, so long as they fit.

So there's this 120mm black exhaust fan and then this clear 120mm white LED fan. I'd rather get the one with the LEDs, but it's an intake fan. Can't I just flip it and screw it in the other direction to make it an exhaust fan? Or is there something different about the fan blades?

mkenyon

Banned
Sorry to bump my post, but I'm still stuck on what to do. I'm trying to fiddle with graphics settings to fix my PC working on a TV(using HDMI), but every time I try to load windows, everything turns blacks, but I can still hear the windows sounds. I think it has something to do with the refresh rate, but I'm honestly really lost. Any help?
Again, so you have both monitor AND tv plugged into your videocard at the same time, right?

Have you had your monitor up, and while that was plugged in, plug in the TV?
I'd like to add some extra fans to my case, but I need something cleared up.

I wanted the fans to match my case so I went to Corsair's website. I suppose it doesn't matter what case they're for, so long as they fit.

So there's this 120mm black exhaust fan and then this clear 120mm white LED fan. I'd rather get the one with the LEDs, but it's an intake fan. Can't I just flip it and screw it in the other direction to make it an exhaust fan? Or is there something different about the fan blades?
Yeah, you can just flip it. But those fans are pretty bad.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...oduct_info&cPath=36_49_1050&products_id=34190

Those are rad.

Archurro

Again, so you have both monitor AND tv plugged into your videocard at the same time, right?

Have you had your monitor up, and while that was plugged in, plug in the TV?

Every time I plug in the TV even when the monitor is in, it always defaults to the TV. Even in the second scenario, when I plug in the TV, it "shuts off" the monitor and goes to the TV, which is a blank black screen.

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks. I have the two stock intake fans in the front and one exhaust in the back. I can put two on the side and two on top (and I think one inside on the bottom). What kind of configuration would you recommend?
What's in the case?
Every time I plug in the TV even when the monitor is in, it always defaults to the TV. Even in the second scenario, when I plug in the TV, it "shuts off" the monitor and goes to the TV, which is a blank black screen.
That's some bullshit. Only idea is some google-fu.

Ceebs

If you wanted to make it an even harder decision you could make it between this and a 670

S-IPS, 2560x1440, amazing colors, and good response times. Read reviews on the Apple 27" cinema displays to learn more about it, it's the same panel.

though a 560 might explode having to push that many pixels

Damn you for posting this. I was just looking at the Dell myself.

That resolution would obviously require more GPU horsepower than I have, but I planned on upgrading anyway.

Zeth

Might be taking the dive this weekend and picking up a couple parts at a b&m Microcenter to get myself started. They have a pretty good looking deal right now for $50 off an ASRock mobo + 3570k.

Was wondering if there are any notable disadvantages in going with the 3570k over the 2500K. Might OC but nothing crazy, will probably be more than happy with 4Ghz.

edit: considering a 7850, seems like the best value in that price range. Is any version universally preferred/what should I be looking at?

legacyzero

Banned
OK GAF!

Looking to upgrade soon! What is the best GPU I can get for under $300

Currently, I have a Saphire 4890 and I'm totally open to suggestion. Should I wait to purchase for some reason or another? HALP!

mkenyon

Banned
Yesss......

I've been looking at the 560ti 2GB. So far it seems to be my favorite. I'll have to see this 7850 though...

The 560 naming scheme is totally ridiculous. Hopefully this will help.

560 = Crap
560Ti = Great card
560Ti 448 Core = 570 that is just slightly nerfed, so really nice.

The fairly new ASUS P8Z77-I would be my first pick, but it's a bit pricey.
For a gaming rig, it's the only ITX board that should be considered.

ParityBit

What do you guys with the H100 use for after market fans? One of the fans on mine is making a really bad squeal noise an I would like to replace both of them.

Thanks!

Whooter

560 = Crap
560Ti = Great card

If a 570 can be had for the same price, you'd get that instead of the 560Ti 448, right?

legacyzero

Banned

560 = Crap
560Ti = Great card

For a gaming rig, it's the only ITX board that should be considered.

So the Ti 448 is the premium of the three, and I should be aiming at that one. Which one would you recommend?

MrBig

Even compared to the Intel 520 series?

Could you elaborate a bit more on the differences or point me to a good article explaining them?

They are far from bad, but the premium is not at all worth it. The M4/830 aren't far behind in benchmarks and the real world difference is non-existent. Anandtech's reviews are good. You're pretty much just paying for the Intel brand if you get one of their SSDs (and better bench numbers if you're in to showing off).

TrounceX

They are far from bad, but the premium is not at all worth it. The M4/830 aren't far behind in benchmarks and the real world difference is non-existent. Anandtech's reviews are good. You're pretty much just paying for the Intel brand if you get one of their SSDs (and better bench numbers if you're in to showing off).

Thank you good sir.

Looks like the Crucial M4 256gb is about $60 cheaper than the comparable Samsung on Newegg so I'll probably go with that.

Gah, I'm having such a hard time picking a case. I like most of what the 550D offers but I'm not a fan of the cheesy silver front panel design at all. The Antec P280 looks like a good alternative but internally it doesn't seem as flexible as the 550D (can't remove the drive cage, for instance). And then there's the Shinobi XL... I love this design the most but it's a fucking massive case, way too large for my needs.

So the Ti 448 is the premium of the three, and I should be aiming at that one. Which one would you recommend?

Out of those 3 if you have the extra cash then aim for the Ti 448 if not just get the Ti.

I need to check the prices but if you have the cash to get the Ti 448 you might just get the 570 instead imo

Voltron64

Hello, I'm posting for some advice. I'm considering upgrading my video card for gaming. My monitor is only 1080p, so I was wondering what what be the best card to run the latest games maxed out at that resolution. Nvidia or radeon card? I will probably be playing mostly shooters. I'd like to keep it under $200 if possible. Also, my CPU is a AMD Phenom II X6 1055T and I will be running 8gb of RAM. I'd appreciate any input...thanks!

MisterNoisy

Why? there is another Asrock ITX on newegg for $50 less whats wrong with it?

Assuming you're referring to the Z77E-ITX, the ASUS has more comfort features than the ASRock (better rear panel I/O, dongle for front panel wiring, etc), a better overall layout (particularly having the 24-pin and CPU power on the same edge) and better power regulation (admittedly really only significant if you're looking for big overclocks).

Personally, while I like the ASUS more, I'd happily build a PC on either.

Ok guys I think the time has finally come to upgrade my PC, built it in 2007. Currently running on a inel E8400 and a OC'd 8800gt.

I want to spend around 500ish. I dont need a case, drvies (dvd or HDD), fans, PSU. All i really need it CPU, Mobo, and GFX card. Anyone help me out?

Edit didnt read OP, here this is:

Your Current Specs: E8400, 4gn ram, 8800 gt 512mb, P35 mobo
Budget: 500ish USA
Main Use: Gaming, HTPC
Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: BF3, diablo 3, newer games
Looking to reuse any parts?: Only important one is 610 w PC power and cooling PSU
When will you build?: Can wait, but sooner the better
Will you be overclocking?: maybe

ProXimity

Banned
My Antec Eleven Hundred full case didn't come with SATA cables. I am missing the cables necessary to finish this build. I need a cord that fits into the SATA POWER slot on the optical and hard drives. I also don't think I have the right cable to hook up my graphics card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom