• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. This is getting ridiculous.

It's off to my dad's workshop now. After three motherboards (Giga, BioStar, Asus), it still won't work. Two new graphics cards. Every memory slot available.

My money has been sapped. I'm at the point where the easiest thing to do is buy a new rig.

At least I tried, and it worked for eight months.

MrBig

Yeah with those easily available there is no way I would pay what Dell wants for that 27". 1,000 bucks for that Apple display is just highway robbery. (Which also makes me anxious to see how many suckers buy their overpriced TV)

This got me going again

My Crossover has been sitting at my local sort facility since friday night. Just torture.

I've cleaned up and measured and made a space and everything :(

WE8DL.jpg

I've spent 2 months on this build and its so close to being done

mkenyon

Banned
Okay. This is getting ridiculous.

It's off to my dad's workshop now. After three motherboards (Giga, BioStar, Asus), it still won't work. Two new graphics cards. Every memory slot available.

My money has been sapped. I'm at the point where the easiest thing to do is buy a new rig.

At least I tried, and it worked for eight months.
You ever try a new PSU? Know anyone where you can borrow it for a day?

This got me going again

My Crossover has been sitting at my local sort facility since friday night. Just torture.

I've cleaned up and mesured and made a space and everything :(

I've spent 2 months on this build and its so close to being done
I know that feeling. When I bought my fancy Samsung RAM (which is $45) for overclocking my new rig, Newegg/UPS sent it all the way across the country and it took over a week to get here despite my business account which gives me 2 day shipping.

Also, how is it possible to use a mousepad oriented like that? Is your sensitivity through the roof?

MrBig

Also, how is it possible to use a mousepad oriented like that? Is your sensitivity through the roof?

Yeah I was getting slight wrist discomfort so I cranked the DPI up to 5700 so I only have to move my fingers, not my hand. No problems at all after that.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah I was getting slight wrist discomfort so I cranked the DPI up to 5700 so I only have to move my fingers, not my hand. No problems at all after that.

Yikes! That is insane. Could try a palm grip and arm movement too if the high DPI ends up screwing your game up.

So can anyone not help alleviate my fears with an answer for my earlier post? I just want to be sure when the HDD arrives. I've never done this before and the uncertainty scares me :p
It's totally cool. If the automated system doesn't okay it, then its a short phone call. They'll clear it then.

MrBig

Yikes! That is insane. Could try a palm grip and arm movement too if the high DPI ends up screwing your game up.

Not really. I gradually ramped it up to get used it. If you just set it that high and attempt to use it there is no way you can control it.

I've played Tribes, Skyrim, AssCreed, and a bunch of other games at this DPI no problem. It's just a matter of getting used to it.

Noctua's noise-canceling PC fan gets tested, drops twenty decibels

HFzOB.jpg

Having trouble tuning out the hum of your PC fans? Maybe it's time you took another look at Noctua's NF-F12 integrated noise cancellation fan. According to the firm, the Computex prototype kept things about 20dB quieter by utilizing a patented RotoSub ANC technology to emit anti-noise directly from the fan's own blades. Noctura hopes to dampen the cooler's 2,500 RPM hum to the overall noise level of a slower 1,500 RPM fan. Builders looking to piece together a quieter machine can look for the noise reducing cooler an the latter half of 2013. Your old fan? Well, you could always use as a makeshift turntable. Hit the break for a peek at a more silent tomorrow.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/noctuas-noise-canceling-pc-fan-gets-tested-drops-twenty-decib/

Man, I wish it wouldn't take so long to release it.

DeVeAn

I'm guessing this is likely a driver issue as I'm running the new NVIDIA drivers that were released a couple weeks ago.

That said, I've had no problems with any other games since installing my GTX570. I used to have a 560TI, but it was giving me issues and the deal I got for a brand new 570 was too good to pass up considering the 560TI was taking a shit. Anyway, I remember playing Just Cause 2 on my 560TI at High settings with a framerate that stayed between 55-60 at all times. I've lowered all the settings possible in this game with my 570, and it just will not budge lol

I'm getting between 25-35 on some of the lowest settings. Roll back drivers?

I had this issue with the same card. I went back a couple drivers and it fixed those frame rate problems. Is it the ASUS 570?

n0n44m

2500 or 1500 rpm , still seems way to loud to me for an HTPC :p

but the concept is really cool, and could make quite a difference in performance

Yeah, I tried a new everything. It's... it's beyond a joke.

well if you swapped everything BUT the CPU I'd say it's time to swap the CPU ...

J0dy77

So I'm at the end of my rope and budget for making this new rig work.

I ended up buying a bunch of new parts with the hopes of running D3. Didn't think it would be a major undertaking, the game isn't that graphically taxing or impressive (or so I thought).

Here's what I have in the PC now, tell me where the bottle neck is. I want to run this game with full settings:

Intel Core i3 2120
8gb Corsair Vengeance
Asus P8H61-M Motherboard
EVGA Geforce GTX 550TI
OCZ 90GB SSD

The game is constantly sluggish and driving me crazy. I can't tell where the bottle neck is, it almost feels like lag but I know it isn't. The game is at 60fps, then drops to 30, back up to 60 back to 30 with a lot of action on screen. I am really hoping it is the graphics card. What does everyone think? If it is the graphics card what is an affordable replacement?

TheExodu5

Banned
2500 or 1500 rpm , still seems way to loud to me for an HTPC :p

Yeah, for an HTPC I'd probably want to keep things under 400RPM or so. Just get one of those big ass heatsinks like the Mugen 2 or similar alternatives...those will keep your CPU pretty cool and don't need very high static pressure to cool efficiently.

Of course, if we're talking about a desktop performance build, 1500RPM isn't too outlandish...but I'd still consider that a bit loud. 1200RPM or even 800RPM would be my ceiling

MrBig

I ended up buying a bunch of new parts with the hopes of running D3. Didn't think it would be a major undertaking, the game isn't that graphically taxing or impressive (or so I thought).

Here's what I have in the PC now, tell me where the bottle neck is. I want to run this game with full settings:

Intel Core i3 2120
8gb Corsair Vengeance
Asus P8H61-M Motherboard
EVGA Geforce GTX 550TI
OCZ 90GB SSD

The game is constantly sluggish and driving me crazy. I can't tell where the bottle neck is, it almost feels like lag but I know it isn't. The game is at 60fps, then drops to 30, back up to 60 back to 30 with a lot of action on screen. I am really hoping it is the graphics card. What does everyone think? If it is the graphics card what is an affordable replacement?

Well first it sounds like you've got v-sync turned on. Turn that off in the game and then check what framerates your getting. If its not lagging but you are getting a large FPS number and tearing then vsync is the problem. Then you can go into the nvidia control panel and enable adaptive v-sync, it should be a lot better. This will basically limit your FPS to 60 (or whatever your refresh rate is) and then allow it to render frames normally when FPS goes under 60. Having it switch between 60 and 30 is a terrible experience.

Veal

Intel Core i3 2120
8gb Corsair Vengeance
Asus P8H61-M Motherboard
EVGA Geforce GTX 550TI
OCZ 90GB SSD

Definitely the GPU. I'd want at least 560Ti/6870 if your going to be running 1080p. The i3 might not be doing you any favors either.

1-D_FTW

Definitely the GPU. I'd want at least 560Ti/6870 if your going to be running 1080p. The i3 might not be doing you any favors either.

I've honestly yet to see a game bottlenecked by the 2120. My GTX 460 often gets stuck at 100 percent load, but never my CPU. I'm sure there's a point where it becomes a bigger issue, but not with that type of video card.

It's hilarious how many times my CPU is sitting at 30 percent utilization. Seems like for many, many console ports, 1080P will max out the CPU at 30ish percent utilization.

J0dy77

Well first it sounds like you've got v-sync turned on. Turn that off in the game and then check what framerates your getting. If its not lagging but you are getting a large FPS number and tearing then vsync is the problem. Then you can go into the nvidia control panel and enable adaptive v-sync, it should be a lot better. This will basically limit your FPS to 60 (or whatever your refresh rate is) and then allow it to render frames normally when FPS goes under 60. Having it switch between 60 and 30 is a terrible experience.

V-Sync isn't turned on but I will check the nvidia settings.

Thanks for the reply, I think it's the GPU. I'm monitoring the CPU and it doesn't seem to be having any issues while running D3. I do think it's the GPU, I'm going to send the 550 back and get something better. If that doesn't work I give up.

J0dy77

I've honestly yet to see a game bottlenecked by the 2120. My GTX 460 often gets stuck at 100 percent load, but never my CPU. I'm sure there's a point where it becomes a bigger issue, but not with that type of video card.

It's hilarious how many times my CPU is sitting at 30 percent utilization. Seems like for many, many console ports, 1080P will max out the CPU at 30ish percent utilization.

Yeah, I've read some very good things about the 2120 and would love for the issue to be the GPU. I was monitoring the CPU last night and both cores never got above 50%.

So now I guess the question is which GPU? 560ti or 6870 or 7850? I'm still trying to keep cost down.

MrBig

Yes, it is. That is what's making it switch between 30 and 60. Before you do anything with hardware make sure you disable it. I don't play diablo so I don't know if there is anything special about it regarding vsync.

Run a heaven benchmark as well and see if it matches expected results from review benches.

Ledsen

Thanks for the reply, I think it's the GPU. I'm monitoring the CPU and it doesn't seem to be having any issues while running D3. I do think it's the GPU, I'm going to send the 550 back and get something better. If that doesn't work I give up.

It is turned on somewhere, because what you're describing only happens with Vsync turned on.

J0dy77

Yes, it is. That is what's making it switch between 30 and 60. Before you do anything with hardware make sure you disable it. I don't play diablo so I don't know if there is anything special about it regarding vsync.

Run a heaven benchmark as well and see if it matches expected results from review benches.

I meant that V-Sync is turned off in game (they have an option for it). I'll definitely check the Nvidia settings tonight. Thanks again for the input.

Ifrit

So, I'm thinking of getting an SSD drive, anyone could recommend a nice one at a good price?

Or, should I just wait for them to go down in price before buying one? whats the tendency?

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!
I recently put together a new build and I've had a few crashes with no bluescreen. The crashes only occurred while gaming. So far the only games to make the system crash are Diablo 3 and the Witcher. I've sunk in quite a bit of time into Diablo 3 and it's crashed 2 times in about a 100 hundred hours of game time. Could this be a software issue, since there's no bluescreen of death or might this be a sign that I have bad graphics card?

The crash is a black screen with loud buzzing coming out of the speaker. The pc locks up and I'm forced to hit the reset button.

MrBig

So, I'm thinking of getting an SSD drive, anyone could recommend a nice one at a good price?

Or, should I just wait for them to go down in price before buying one? whats the tendency?

SSD prices are continuously going to go down over the next few years, there is no best time to buy them until they bottom out like HDDs did. Just buy one when you need it. Getting a 128gb Crucial M4 for around $100 right now is a pretty good price and is the minimum size you should get unless you always want to be managing file locations as a trade off for saving a few bucks on a 64gb drive. Spend more if you want more, though, of course. Games benefit from it but not by a huge amount, so don't think you need a big one just because you want to throw a bunch of games on there. They're best for things like Photoshop and other huge programs.

Smokey

I recently put together a new build and I've had a few crashes with no bluescreen. The crashes only occurred while gaming. So far the only games to make the system crash are Diablo 3 and the Witcher. I've sunk in quite a bit of time into Diablo 3 and it's crashed 2 times in about a 100 hundred hours of game time. Could this be a software issue, since there's no bluescreen of death or might this be a sign that I have bad graphics card?

The crash is a black screen with loud buzzing coming out of the speaker. The pc locks up and I'm forced to hit the reset button.

Is your card overclocked? If so, could be a sign that it's not stable. I have had that happen to me a few times.

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!
Is the CPU overclocked? I've seen situations where even though the OCed CPU will run Prime95 or even IBT for hours on end without problems, it'll randomly BSOD. Try lowering the OC and see if it still happens.

2500k overclocked to 4.4 on air. It ran fine on Prime95 and my temps are good. I'll try and lower the OC and see if that helps. Thanks.

Hey guys i have been playing diablo 3 a lot lately, like 120 hours since release. Anyways Recently my fps has been wonky and slowing down. Also Occasionally after I alt-tab my screen will turn black and have pink flickering lines and I have to manually restart. I have a 560ti I hope it isnt dead, its not too old :( Help me PC GAF

Ifrit

SSD prices are continuously going to go down over the next few years, there is no best time to buy them until they bottom out like HDDs did. Just buy one when you need it. Getting a 128gb Crucial M4 for around $100 right now is a pretty good price and is the minimum size you should get unless you always want to be managing file locations as a trade off for saving a few bucks on a 64gb drive. Spend more if you want more, though, of course. Games benefit from it but not by a huge amount, so don't think you need a big one just because you want to throw a bunch of games on there. They're best for things like Photoshop and other huge programs.

Thank you for the recomendation, but I'm just looking for a small one for the OS (mainly to speed up the boot times) and essential aplications, so I guess a 64GB wouldn't be too bad, also the price seems reasonable

Now I'm just looking how to install a SSD drive on an Antec Sonata III 500 which is the case I bought

MrBig

Thank you for the recomendation, but I'm just looking for a small one for the OS (mainly to speed up the boot times) and essential aplications, so I guess a 64GB wouldn't be too bad, also the price seems reasonable

Now I'm just looking how to install a SSD drive on an Antec Sonata III 500 which is the case I bought

You can just tape it somewhere. No moving parts.

surly

Banned

In the UK, the prices have gone down loads in the last few weeks. I bought a Samsung 830 128GB SSD in April and it was £149. You can get the 256GB version for that now, just a few weeks later.

I've got Windows 7 64 bit and all my software (excluding games) installed on my 128GB SSD and I have 64.1GB free, but the page file accounts for 16GB of that and hiberfil.sys is also taking up 12GB so I could easily free up more space if necessary. It depends what you want to install of course, but you'll more than likely be OK with a 64GB drive.

I have mine attached to the back of the motherboard tray with a zip tie and some electrical tape. It's out of the way in an area that's pretty cool and there's no moving parts, so if it does move a little bit for some reason, it's not likely to break.

abunai

Hey guys i have been playing diablo 3 a lot lately, like 120 hours since release. Anyways Recently my fps has been wonky and slowing down. Also Occasionally after I alt-tab my screen will turn black and have pink flickering lines and I have to manually restart. I have a 560ti I hope it isnt dead, its not too old :( Help me master race gaf.

You'll have to give us more information than that for us to help effectively. What are your temperatures like? What power supply do you use? General PC specs etc. Installed anything major since D3?

You'll have to give us more information than that for us to help effectively. What are your temperatures like? What power supply do you use? General PC specs etc. Installed anything major since D3?

Sorry, here are the basic specs.

CPU = Intel i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz
Motherboard = intel 5 series/3400 series (or something like that)
GPU = NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Power Supply = 600 watt Coolmaster
OS = Windows 7 64bit

Temperatures right now as I am playing are about 50C but sometimes they go around 60C.

mkenyon

Banned
Regarding the low SSD prices, the big OEMs are loss leading right now to edge out the smaller guys. This might be temporary.
Sorry, here are the basic specs.

CPU = Intel i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz
Motherboard = intel 5 series/3400 series (or something like that)
GPU = NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Power Supply = 600 watt Coolmaster
OS = Windows 7 64bit

Temperatures right now as I am playing are about 50C but sometimes they go around 60C.
Just so you know, the master race thing is banned.

Install HWMonitor, let us know the temps of both the 560Ti and cores #0-3. When was the last time you updated drivers and did a general system clean up?

Regarding the low SSD prices, the big OEMs are loss leading right now to edge out the smaller guys. This might be temporary.

Just so you know, the master race thing is banned.

Install HWMonitor, let us know the temps of both the 560Ti and cores #0-3. When was the last time you updated drivers and did a general system clean up?

Woops sorry I edited my post.

The CPU cores are all around 67C and the GPU is at 50C
Also I have not installed anything aside from diablo 3 in a month on this computer.

EDIT: cores up to 80 now! ahh

Noctua could probably price those noise-cancelling fans at $200 a pop and we'd buy them like suckers.

Does this make me a jerk for just ordering a super-cheap Vertex 4? :(

Ifrit

You can just tape it somewhere. No moving parts.

Didn't know that, nice :)

In the UK, the prices have gone down loads in the last few weeks. I bought a Samsung 830 128GB SSD in April and it was £149. You can get the 256GB version for that now, just a few weeks later.

I've got Windows 7 64 bit and all my software (excluding games) installed on my 128GB SSD and I have 64.1GB free, but the page file accounts for 16GB of that and hiberfil.sys is also taking up 12GB so I could easily free up more space if necessary. It depends what you want to install of course, but you'll more than likely be OK with a 64GB drive.

I have mine attached to the back of the motherboard tray with a zip tie and some electrical tape. It's out of the way in an area that's pretty cool and there's no moving parts, so if it does move a little bit for some reason, it's not likely to break.

Thank you surly, I'm thinking of just installing Windows, drivers, and office in the SSD drive. Everything else would go to the other HDDs, so I think I'd be fine

pax217

I've got a pretty good PC setup, but have been rocking a 19in ViewSonic LCD through my last three builds. Time to upgrade.

It's hard to find the specific monitor conversations within this thread, so after scrolling through a lot of them, I'll just ask:

Is there really no monitor out there that is hands down better than the rest?

I am interested in the Dell Ultrasharp series (I'm looking to get something that's ~23in) because of it's quality reviews, but it doesn't seem like people are as excited about it as they should be if it's such an amazing monitor. What else should I be considering? Should I just go to NewEgg and buy whatever is highest rated?

Smokey

I've got a pretty good PC setup, but have been rocking a 19in ViewSonic LCD through my last three builds. Time to upgrade.

It's hard to find the specific monitor conversations within this thread, so after scrolling through a lot of them, I'll just ask:

I am interested in the Dell Ultrasharp series (I'm looking to get something that's ~23in) because of it's quality reviews, but it doesn't seem like people are as excited about it as they should be if it's such an amazing monitor. What else should I be considering? Should I just go to NewEgg and buy whatever is highest rated?

First, nail down a price range you want to stick in. From there we can help with the panels.

mkenyon

Banned
Woops sorry I edited my post.

The CPU cores are all around 67C and the GPU is at 50C
Also I have not installed anything aside from diablo 3 in a month on this computer.
First things first, run windows updater, defrag HDDs if you don't have an SSD, and update your NVIDIA driver. You could run CCleaner/Driver Sweeper and delete any old stuff that might be hanging around.

Depends what's more important to you. I have one of the ACD "reject" monitors and it is quite pretty. No freaking way would I ever use it as a gaming monitor though as response time and 120hz smoothness is more important to me than anything. My #1 recommendation is the BenQ XL2420 or Samsung S23A700/750D if you have a video card with displayport and like a gloss screen. The IQ disparity between my properly calibrated S23A and the ACD is nothing significant at all.

pax217

First, nail down a price range you want to stick in. From there we can help with the panels.

Under $500, sorry, I meant to put that in the initial post.

Depends what's more important to you. I have one of the ACD "reject" monitors and it is quite pretty. No freaking way would I ever use it as a gaming monitor though as response time and 120hz smoothness is more important to me than anything. My #1 recommendation is the BenQ XL2420 or Samsung S23A700/750D if you have a video card with displayport and like a gloss screen. The IQ disparity between my properly calibrated S23A and the ACD is nothing significant at all.

Added to the list for both, thanks.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
cpu: i5-3570k
power supply: antec bp550
cooling: cm 212 evo
case: haf 912
hdd: samsung f3 1tb
ram: corsair classic 2x4gb
gpu: HD 7850
mobo: p8z77-v LE
order made, should have everything by the end of the month. :3

That is lame.

Sounds like bullshit to me. nVidia seem to be doing whatever they can to keep investors from jumping ship, I guess. Like they didn't know the stock level of the 570. My guess is like the 670/80 they can't make near enough to keep up with demand which will be much higher with the lower cost of the 660.

They might wanna get their shit together before AMD does a refresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom