• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DyTonic

Banned
I would say upgrade your video card, your system is still very powerful. Would have to say, the Best bang for your buck still seems to be the gtx560ti

That cpu is still perfect for games though,, plenty of power, and 4gb of ram is a good amount as well. With say a 560ti, he would be able to play most games maxed out

Seems about right, I know parts are old.. but I still can play a majority of new games almost on high.

MrBig

And, it's time to dump the old monitor.

nah, it's fine for IRC, music players, monitoring, and anything like that.

EDIT: Crossover doesn't make a 23 or 24in, do they?

Crossover and the various other manufacturers really only produce the bezel/stands and the PCB. The panel is from LG, the one used in the cinema/thunderbolt display. The only smaller high res displays being made is for Apples new line up, so you might find some smaller korean models coming soonish.

mkenyon

Banned
I would say upgrade your video card, your system is still very powerful. Would have to say, the Best bang for your buck still seems to be the gtx560ti

That cpu is still perfect for games though,, plenty of power, and 4gb of ram is a good amount as well. With say a 560ti, he would be able to play most games maxed out
AMD struggles with games that require a very speedy single/double thread. Going to bottleneck hard on unreal engine, metro, witcher 2, starcraft 2, and some others. What the point is though, is there is no part in the mobo/ram/cpu that can be upgraded. Once you have eeked out 'acceptable' with a new videocard, it's time to replace the rest.

mkenyon

Banned
What is "great"? Are you one of the 30fps crazies? :p

Saying it's quad core doesn't mean a whole lot unless you're talking about n-threaded (meaning, can take use of as many cores as you have) games, which Civ V is the only one I know about. Some games, like BF3, aren't going to have big frame disparities because so much of the engine is really well coded for video cards. Some games, like SC2 or unreal engine stuff, is going to have huge differences in frames, to the point of not even being able to stick at 60fps. What I'm saying is that it isn't clear cut, but the PII X4's have seen their day if you want 'good' performance for modern games.

What are important factors I need to consider when building a PC that will not only be used for games, but also recording and video editing?

Recording from both fraps and an external capture card. How many HDDs should I have? Minimum GPU, RAM and CPU?

MrBig

What are important factors I need to consider when building a PC that will not only be used for games, but also recording and video editing?

Recording from both fraps and an external capture card. How many HDDs should I have? Minimum GPU, RAM and CPU?

Every part is an important part. What's your budget?

mkenyon

Banned

Can of worms man, can of worms.

tl;dr, if you have a current computer, the best thing to do is put in a black magic intensity pro and capture/record with dxtory. Two fairly fast HDDs in RAID0 will be totally fine, such as the WD Cav Blacks. You'll need a ton of space if you're talking hours of gameplay though. That computer then becomes a dedicated streaming/recording box.

On your (new) main computer, you simply duplicate the display over the BMIP HDMI cable. Zero performance loss.

If you are really set on having a single computer, you'll want an X79 motherboard and a 3820/3930K and speedy RAM. I wouldn't suggest streaming from it if performance is really important to you, but recording will be a fairly minor hit.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

I'd get 16-32GB RAM, 560ti, 2500k, and 2x2TB HDD's. Unless you can afford better.

Ths means new MB and maybe PSU.

mkenyon

Banned
I'd get 16-32GB RAM, 560ti, 2500k, and 2x2TB HDD's. Unless you can afford better.

Ths means new MB and maybe PSU.
No way, you need as many threads as possible for little performance loss. i7 or bust if you're taking it seriously for a single computer. More memory won't increase performance at all either, its the speed that matters. The dual computer situation is generally less expensive and performs better, assuming you have a current computer that can be transformed into the recording box.

*edit*

To give you some of my personal experience examples of this, I had my 2500K @ 5.0Ghz, two 560Ti's, an SSD the games were located on, and 2xSpinpoint F3's in RAID0 for recording our T:A matches. Normal in game performance = constant 120fps. Recording performance = 85-95 FPS. Streaming performance = 40-60 fps. On a teammate's 3930K @ 4.8, the slope was still there, just not as severe. We actually built a recording box with a BMIP just so we could keep decent performance.

Every part is an important part. What's your budget?

Not sure how much I'll have to spend exactly until a few weeks time, but it'll probably be over $1200.

Can of worms man, can of worms.

tl;dr, if you have a current computer, the best thing to do is put in a black magic intensity pro and capture/record with dxtory. Two fairly fast HDDs in RAID0 will be totally fine, such as the WD Cav Blacks. You'll need a ton of space if you're talking hours of gameplay though. That computer then becomes a dedicated streaming/recording box.

On your (new) main computer, you simply duplicate the display over the BMIP HDMI cable. Zero performance loss.

If you are really set on having a single computer, you'll want an X79 motherboard and a 3820/3930K and speedy RAM. I wouldn't suggest streaming from it if performance is really important to you, but recording will be a fairly minor hit.

Even through performance loss, I'm thinking about a single computer for the set-up. Even if I streamed from that single computer, how big a hit in performance would the system take overall?

Edit: My current computer cannot be converted.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
No way, you need as many threads as possible for little performance loss. i7 or bust if you're taking it seriously for a single computer. More memory won't increase performance at all either, its the speed that matters. The dual computer situation is generally less expensive and performs better, assuming you have a current computer that can be transformed into the recording box.
I know it.

I was giving him the cheaper but still awesome CPU. If the money is there, go 3770k or 2600k, yes.

mkenyon

Banned
I know it.

I was giving him the cheaper but still awesome CPU. If the money is there, go 3770k or 2600k, yes.
I still say X79. The memory controller on socket 2011's is actually good compared to the SB/IB crap. I mean, the platform entirely exists for this sort of application.

For parts list (I'm giving a wide range of choices here depending on how deep you want to go):
CPU - 3820 or 3930K (latter if you can afford it)
Memory - The Samsung 30nm RAM, can OC it to the 2000-2100mhz level.
Motherboard - (fill in the blank) X79 with a decent SATA controller (or buy a RAID card for even easier use)
Storage - SSD for OS/Games, RAID0 or 5 array with 2-5 HDD's depending on the size you want.
GPU - (depends on the game and frames you want) 560ti for bare minimum and sub-60 fps. Anything beyond that is going to be a huge help, and if you stick with nvidia, you can actually use your GPU to help you encode through Sony Vegas
PSU - depending on the cards you get - Corsair/Seasonic AX650-850/X650-850.

Not sure how much I'll have to spend exactly until a few weeks time, but it'll probably be over $1200.

Even through performance loss, I'm thinking about a single computer for the set-up. Even if I streamed from that single computer, how big a hit in performance would the system take overall?

Edit: My current computer cannot be converted.

http://www.amazon.com/AVERMEDIA-Captures-Gameplay-Hardware-C985/product-reviews/B007UXJ6LE/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
I haven't checked it out though, so you might need to read some reviews. It apparently gets regular driver updates. When it first came out, it didn't work with xsplit.

pax217

Crossover and the various other manufacturers really only produce the bezel/stands and the PCB. The panel is from LG, the one used in the cinema/thunderbolt display. The only smaller high res displays being made is for Apples new line up, so you might find some smaller korean models coming soonish.

Awesome, will keep my eyes out. Thanks.

TheExodu5

Banned
It's... so beautiful

5T3Dq.jpg

Ultrasones? High five.

mkenyon

Banned
You're up in the fuckin night bro. Can't say for sure on new RTSs since I don't play all four of them, but the Unreal 3 games run way higher than 60FPS on my 945. I don't even have a game that doesn't run buttery smooth, except when I turn Physx shit on.

Upgrade your GPU, your system still has plenty of life in this designed-for-console age.

Starcraft 2 with a 7970 on different CPU's
Metro 2033
In my own experience, T:A and APB, both of which are unreal engine games, were unable to stay above 60fps on my old PII X4 980 @ 4.1 Ghz with a 5870. That's equivalent to a 560Ti, but slightly more powerful due to the huge overclock I had on it. A single 560Ti with a 2500K @ 4.5Ghz keeps T:A at 120fps always.

Hoplatee

I have a little annoying problem that I hope one of you might know the answer to. Everything is working fine on my new computer but very often when I boot up I just get no video signal at all. I have to reset once or twice and then it works. This happens with my old GPU AND my new GPU. (4870x2/670GTX)

So this probably is some setting in my bios settings I am missing or perhaps something is not plugged in right in on the mobo. The mobo is Maximus Gene V. I already selected that my GPU is the main card but that did not really change anything. The card and everything on the mobo itself functions perfeclty (Oh my, 60 fps gaming!) but it is just... annoying to reboot often before I can do stuff. And even then... It is still faster than my old pc haha.

Anyone ever ran into a problem like that and how did you fix it? I don't think rebooting that many times is healthy :<

MrBig

Here's some measurements for anyone interested in the crossover (cm)

YFTac.jpg

It's 5.5cm thick (at the mounting point, the main body is 3cm). 100mm vesa mounts.

The entire frame/bezel is steel. The exterior of the base is glossy plastic, the stand is steel.

And here are some examples of scaling. The movie is native 720p unscaled, and then scaled to fullscreen. BF3 at 720, 1080, and 1440. I did not white balance the camera, don't worry about the colors.

e: also, "star bursting", or chromatic aboration is very pronounced on this if you can see the reflection of a point light on the screen. I've never seen it like this on a glossy screen before. So, as always with glossy screens, be wary if you cannot control lighting conditions.

_Isaac

Well my computer just randomly turned off. The same thing happened yesterday. I'm really concerned now. Could it be an overheating or power supply problem?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Ok, I've decided to build my PC myself (if greasy nerds can do it so can I) and this is what I've put together:

Intel Core i5 3570K

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard

EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB x 2 (SLI)

Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler

Crucial M4 SSD 128GB

Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST1000DM003

Silverstone Strider Plus 750W ST75F-P

Corsair Obsidian 800D Case

G.Skill Ares F3-1600C10D-16GAO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3

LG GH24NS90 24x SATA DVD-RW Drive OEM

ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless N PCIe Adaptor

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with SP1 OEM

Logitech K800 Wireless Illuminated Keyboard

Logitech G700 Wireless Gaming Mouse

Total: $2661 AUD

Anything I'm missing or that should be changed? This will be used in my a/v room plugged into my HDTV and receiver. I'll be playing from the couch.
I want to be able to play everything at max settings (at 1920 x 1080) for the next couple of years without having to upgrade anything in that time.

knitoe

Well my computer just randomly turned off. The same thing happened yesterday. I'm really concerned now. Could it be an overheating or power supply problem?

Run HWmonitor to see your min/max CPU and MB temps. Does it happen when computer is under load or just idling?

Ceebs

Here's some measurements for anyone interested in the crossover (cm)

YFTac.jpg

It's 5.5cm thick (at the mounting point, the main body is 3cm). 100mm vesa mounts.

The entire frame/bezel is steel. The exterior of the base is glossy plastic, the stand is steel.

And here are some examples of scaling. The movie is native 720p unscaled, and then scaled to fullscreen. BF3 at 720, 1080, and 1440. I did not white balance the camera, don't worry about the colors.

Thanks for the pics. My jealousy is making the fact I have to wait until the 20th to order my stuff even worse.

RedSwirl

You asked if your Q6600 would be a bottleneck right? That articles answers it. If you're looking at entirely new 1155/2011 stuff, there's not going to be any significant difference between the processors at similar speeds.

So even if I did move up an i5 system, I wouldn't get significant performance upgrades now? I've been told that the Q6600 is reaching the tail end of its relevance and probably won't cut it next year and beyond.

knitoe

Some of those numbers look close to the MINs. Disheartening. :/
The numbers are value, then MIN then MAX.
Zozg6.png

Those idling numbers look fine. Now, stress out you computer by running Prime95, graphic intense games and etc so we can see the max temps under load.

_Isaac

Those idling numbers look fine. Now, stress out you computer by running Prime95, graphic intense games and etc so we can see the max temps under load.

It usually turns off when it's just idling. In fact, sometimes I think it just went to sleep, but no it turns off. So how long should I run Prime95 or some games?

Ceebs

It usually turns off when it's just idling. In fact, sometimes I think it just went to sleep, but no it turns off. So how long should I run Prime95 or some games?

You do not have some sort of power saving profile set to turn off after so many minutes idle do you?

knitoe

You only need to run prime95 for about 15 min to see max cpu temp. To stress out your MB and video card, could take longer.

Are you letting the computer go into sleep\hibernation mode after leaving it idle for awhile? If yes, are you overclocking the CPU with Internal CPU PLL enable? If yes again, combination of sleep/hibernate + CPU PLL are known to cause the computer to crash.

hypernima

Banned
Why would newegg give me time sensitive promo codes as a token of their appreciation :( I have no monies :\ but I really want the discount on RAM

_Isaac

You do not have some sort of power saving profile set to turn off after so many minutes idle do you?

I have it so it goes to sleep after ten minutes.

You only need to run prime95 for about 15 min to see max cpu temp. To stress out your MB and video card, could take longer.

Are you letting the computer go into sleep\hibernation mode after leaving it idle for awhile? If yes, are you overclocking the CPU with Internal CPU PLL enable? If yes again, combination of sleep/hibernate + CPU PLL are known to cause the computer to crash.

I'm not overclocking it. Yes, I"m letting the computer go into sleep\hibernation mode after leaving it idle, but no overclocking at all on my end. I don't even know how to do that.

I still have Prime95 running, and here are the current readings:
5PjoA.png

TaKeRx

Hi guys!

Well ever since building my PC back in 08 I'm starting to get the itch again to build another.

I have a budget of around 2K for this PC and I'm obviously looking for power out of this PC.

What is the best CPU/GPU available? I've been mostly out of the loop within these 2 categories and wouldn't mind some advice.

Darknight

Is this a good mobo for gaming, future SLI and lite OC? Asus P8Z68 DELUXE. I can get it for $100. I have a budget so I can't get the Asrock Z68 boards.

I'm thinking P8Z68 DELUXE+I5 2500k+GTX 460V2 +4~8GB ram. Ideas?

Ps: this doesn't have any bent pins! Thanx

Ceebs

Hi guys!

Well ever since building my PC back in 08 I'm starting to get the itch again to build another.

I have a budget of around 2K for this PC and I'm obviously looking for power out of this PC.

What is the best CPU/GPU available? I've been mostly out of the loop within these 2 categories and wouldn't mind some advice.
Do you want a single GPU or are you willing to put up with one of those dual GPU cards or SLI/Crossfire

Coldsnap

Grrrr I'm so frustrated. I needed a good mic for the game I play so I went to best buy and bought a Razor Charasias headset with mic. I get home and set it up and there's an audible noise which sounds like my case fan and buzz. I made my girlfriend hop on vent to verify and her fucking on board mic on her macbook sounded louder / clearer than my $90 mic I just bought! Why is this? Is it a grounding problem or something?

mkenyon

Banned
Is this worth it to purchase for someone coming from an HD 6850?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150605
Since value is subjective, hard to say. It is a really nice upgrade though. Not gamechanging, but certainly noticeable.

Ok, I've decided to build my PC myself (if greasy nerds can do it so can I) and this is what I've put together:

Intel Core i5 3570K

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard

EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB x 2 (SLI)

Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler

Crucial M4 SSD 128GB

Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST1000DM003

Silverstone Strider Plus 750W ST75F-P

Corsair Obsidian 800D Case

G.Skill Ares F3-1600C10D-16GAO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3

LG GH24NS90 24x SATA DVD-RW Drive OEM

ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless N PCIe Adaptor

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with SP1 OEM

Logitech K800 Wireless Illuminated Keyboard

Logitech G700 Wireless Gaming Mouse

Total: $2661 AUD

Anything I'm missing or that should be changed? This will be used in my a/v room plugged into my HDTV and receiver. I'll be playing from the couch.
I want to be able to play everything at max settings (at 1920 x 1080) for the next couple of years without having to upgrade anything in that time.
800D is pretty weak on air cooling. I'd look at a different case if I were you. CM 690II, Fractal Arc Midi, or even the Lian Li PC-80 if you want a monolithic aluminum tower. Is there a certain aesthetic you were trying to capture?

Does there exist a gaming keyboard with no numerical keypad?
Leopold Cherry (fill in the blank, I like Reds) Tenkeyless
DSC_0127-1.jpg

Coolermaster Quick Fire Rapid (Red, Blue, or Brown)
Cooler_Master_Quick_Fire_Red.jpg

So even if I did move up an i5 system, I wouldn't get significant performance upgrades now? I've been told that the Q6600 is reaching the tail end of its relevance and probably won't cut it next year and beyond.
It's all in the link. If you want to get an idea, Q66 performance is roughly equal to a Phenom II X4. With that in mind, those benchmarks should give you an idea of what kind of performance loss you're getting in CPU bound games.
Hi guys!

Just follow the OP, the build listed there is almost exactly what I'd suggest. With just the best CPU and video card alone, you're already at $2k. $1000 for the 3960X, $1000 for the GTX690.

If you want to do major multimedia work or be king of benchmarks, the X79 chipset with a 3930K is pretty much top dog. If it's for games, then you want a Z77 Chipset and a 2600K/2700K if you're doing balls deep overclocking, 3770K for a standard overclock.
I wouldn't mind a SLI/Crossfire setup if a single card doesn't suffice.

I know the con for it is more power being used correct?
If you want high frames on a single monitor without driver headaches, then the best single GPU you can buy (which would be the GTX680 and 7970) is the way to go. SLI/xfire introduces profiles, which means that if a game you want to play doesn't have a profile for multiple GPU's, you have to either create your own profile or disable one of the cards. The benefits seen at 1080P and lower are not nearly as significant as multiple monitor setups either.

Coldsnap

Dude awesome, I'm totally buying that Cooler Master.

Now if someone can help me with my mic setup Id be a pro gamer and not have to break this thing outta aggrivation.

So is that Crossover 27Q a legit monitor and avenue of purchase? The ebay route for something like this kind of scares me for all the obvious reasons. Any long time owners here? How long have they been around? They do look nice but maybe a bit in the too good to be true category.

Lulubop

So is that Crossover 27Q a legit monitor and avenue of purchase? The ebay route for something like this kind of scares me for all the obvious reasons. Any long time owners here? How long have they been around? They do look nice but maybe a bit in the too good to be true category.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1215866/...g-90hz-achieva-shimian-qh270-and-catleap-q270

http://www.overclock.net/t/1232496/crossover-27q-led-led-p-27m-led-2720mdp-gold-led-monitor-club

MrBig

People have been getting them in the US since February. Sellers Like AccesoriesWhole and BigClothCraft are real retailers in Korea, the monitors are just being purchased from their online store on ebay. Failure rates and defect potential are just as common as with any other domesticate brand. Just know that you are not buying a Dell or an Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom