• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Do you guys know if I can fit a Corsair Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CWCH100) in a Corsair Carbide Series 500R Mid Tower Gaming Case CC-9011012-WW. I plan to mount it on top. And will a 750 psu hold for this and a nvidia 670?
It will, but you will need to do some cutting if you want to mount it in the roof with the fans below it exhausting. Also, I'd suggest picking up a better pair of fans for it. Noctua NF-F12s, Swiftech Helix, Bitfenix Spectre Pro, and Scythe GT AP14/15 are the best choices for it.

750W PSU is way more than enough. You'll be pulling about 300-400W while gaming for your whole system, assuming a CPU overclock.

Smokey

It will, but you will need to do some cutting if you want to mount it in the roof with the fans below it exhausting. Also, I'd suggest picking up a better pair of fans for it. Noctua NF-F12s, Swiftech Helix, Bitfenix Spectre Pro, and Scythe GT AP14/15 are the best choices for it.

750W PSU is way more than enough. You'll be pulling about 300-400W while gaming for your whole system, assuming a CPU overclock.

No cutting is necessary with the 500r and H100. I have my radiator sitting up top and the two fans attached below it. It becomes an issue if you want to do push/pull. If you want to do that, then the mesh cover won't fit over the two fans sitting on top of the radiator.

Coldsnap

Quick question:

Is Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9550 2.83 HZ a good processor?

My work computer is from intel and I'm not sure how old is it. I'm doing heavy video stuff at work on my home PC and it looks like I might start having to drag my big computer to the office when I want to shoot. I was hoping maybe this computer is advance enough to throw a GTX 560 in and call it a day.

RedSwirl

For your purposes, consider AMD 955 = Q6600 in the link I posted.

What do you mean? I'm trying to find something more current generation, not equivalent to my five-year-old Q6600. And I still haven't been given any idea of what kind of performance difference we're talking about here.

abunai

Quick question:

My work computer is from intel and I'm not sure how old is it. I'm doing heavy video stuff at work on my home PC and it looks like I might start having to drag my big computer to the office when I want to shoot. I was hoping maybe this computer is advance enough to throw a GTX 560 in and call it a day.

It's alright. It's by no means bad and it will run every game (to varying degrees of success) if paired with a GTX 560, but there are certainly much better CPUs out there. It'll fill your needs probably. If your work computer is a prebuilt, the power supply might be an issue, though.

Awesome. Thanks for the responses!

Edit: What exactly is push/pull? This would be my first water cooling device.

Push/Pull is a term for airflow around a heatsink. If >>> was the direction of airflow, Push/Pull would be: >>> (fan - push) >>> (heatsink) >>> (fan - pull) >>> exhaust.

mkenyon

Banned
What do you mean? I'm trying to find something more current generation, not equivalent to my five-year-old Q6600.
You asked if your Q6600 would be a bottleneck right? That articles answers it. If you're looking at entirely new 1155/2011 stuff, there's not going to be any significant difference between the processors at similar speeds.
Quick question:

Don't get a 560, it's like the worst buy in video cards. 460 at the low end, then 6870/560Ti.

But yes, that is a good CPU. Even better overclcoked. If the motherboard it has doesn't support that much, you could find a used 775 motherboard for pretty cheap I bet.

Coldsnap

It's alright. It's by no means bad and it will run every game (to varying degrees of success) if paired with a GTX 560, but there are certainly much better CPUs out there. It'll fill your needs probably. If your work computer is a prebuilt, the power supply might be an issue, though.

Thanks for the reply. Great! How about the motherboard too. Right now a Radeon X1800 is plugged into the computer. Does this video card have the same connections as my GTX 560 back at home?

This is the video card it is :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817372002

J0dy77

Yes, it is. That is what's making it switch between 30 and 60. Before you do anything with hardware make sure you disable it. I don't play diablo so I don't know if there is anything special about it regarding vsync.

Run a heaven benchmark as well and see if it matches expected results from review benches.

So I played around with the V Sync settings both in game and in the control panel. It definitely improves the frame rate (still not great) but I'm getting bad screen tearing now. So overall, is the solution a new monitor or a better video card? The monitor I have is a 2ms Hanns G but it's on it's way out.

Coldsnap

I guess I should mention what videos I plan on doing. Right now I'm making a tech video series about my video game engine thats filmed with fraps then uploaded to youtube. The first video was done with my GTX 560 and i5 2500k at home. But I realized the computer at the office I've been using for other stuff seems alright and might be able to do what I do if I just purchased a video card.

MrBig

So I played around with the V Sync settings both in game and in the control panel. It definitely improves the frame rate (still not great) but I'm getting bad screen tearing now. So overall, is the solution a new monitor or a better video card? The monitor I have is a 2ms Hanns G but it's on it's way out.

In the control panel set the vsync mode to adaptive.

e: only available on the 300+ revision drivers, so update to the latest WHQL if you haven't.

abunai

I guess I should mention what videos I plan on doing. Right now I'm making a tech video series about my video game engine thats filmed with fraps then uploaded to youtube. The first video was done with my GTX 560 and i5 2500k at home. But I realized the computer at the office I've been using for other stuff seems alright and might be able to do what I do if I just purchased a video card.

From what information I could find on the power supply you linked a few posts ago, it should run a GTX 560 (which as mkenyon mentioned isn't the best card), but I know nothing of the brand's reliability. Seems like you can buy a new graphics card for your work computer, but as MrBig said, the motherboard might be an issue.

If I recall correctly PCI-E 2.0 graphics cards do not work in PCI-E 1.0 slots (but they do work in PCI-E 1.1). So you should check the motherboard (if you can) before purchasing anything.

J0dy77

In the control panel set the vsync mode to adaptive.

e: only available on the 300+ revision drivers, so update to the latest WHQL if you haven't.

My final test and what I'm currently using is adaptive. Tried it off at first, then went with adaptive (the non half refresh option), seemed to give me the best results. It's an improvement overall but still not ideal.

Coldsnap

From what information I could find on the power supply you linked a few posts ago, it should run a GTX 560 (which as mkenyon mentioned isn't the best card). Seems like you can buy a new graphics card for your work computer, but as MrBig said, the motherboard might be an issue.

If I recall correctly PCI-E 2.0 graphics cards do not work in PCI-E 1.0 slots (but they do work in PCI-E 1.1). So you should check the motherboard (if you can) before purchasing anything.

Just did some research on my motherboard, this is what PC Wizard is telling me it is :

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/DG45ID/DG45ID-overview.htm

"One PCI Express* x16 bus add-in card connector" So this should fit a GTX 460.

This a good one? (I like amazon prime)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006KZGH88/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Helping another friend with a PC upgrade.

He has a HP s5703w. It is a "slimline" computer that apparently needs a "low profile" graphics card.

Now the power supply isn't an issue because I have a powersupply I can give him (I think).

I only have two questions:

1) How do I know what graphics cards will fit/ what is the best one that will and won't be a waste of cash?

2) will a normal ATX powersupply work or do we need something else? It only has 230w in it now.

I don't know anything slim line computers or low profile graphics cards.

From the first round of research I did, this Geforce 450 GTS card seems like it might fit? How can I be sure it will fit and is this the best we can do?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041RRNBM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

abunai

Just did some research on my motherboard, this is what PC Wizard is telling me it is :

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/DG45ID/DG45ID-overview.htm

"One PCI Express* x16 bus add-in card connector" So this should fit a GTX 460.

This a good one? (I like amazon prime)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006KZGH88/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Well, I did some more reading (sorry, eating dinner etc) and apparently PCI-E 2.0 cards work in PCI-E 1.0 x16 slots. No idea where I got the idea that they didn't. So yes, that card will work

well if you swapped everything BUT the CPU I'd say it's time to swap the CPU ...

I've spent so much money that we just didn't do that. I'm sure that's what they'll tell me when it gets back from the shop. Am I supposed to apply a new layer of thermal paste every few months or something?

MrBig

It's... so beautiful

5T3Dq.jpg

Amazing. I ran it through the lagom test and found absolutely no defects. I absolutely love it!

Might as well ask here, is there anyone using an Ivy Bridge CPU on an Asus Z77 motherboard who is able to play The Witcher (1)? I have a problem where I can't select a resolution above 1366x768, and I suspect it's because of the integrated Intel GPU, in which case the problem should be present on all such systems.

Coldsnap

Mr Big. I like your setup! I have the same case at home but a black front door. What keyboard is that / is that windows 8? Looks crazy!

MrBig

Mr Big. I like your setup! I have the same case at home but a black front door. What keyboard is that / is that windows 8? Looks crazy!
Thank you! Keyboard is a K60, with the red keys put on the arrow switches just for aesthetics, and yeah W8.
Mrbig what headphones, what tower, what type of monitor is that

Headphones are an ATH-M50, case is a Fractal R3, and the monitor is a Crossover 27Q.

Also, don't be put off by the speakers, they sound fantastic, it's just that they're old and stick out. I'll be painting the casing on them tomorrow

Might as well ask here, is there anyone using an Ivy Bridge CPU on an Asus Z77 motherboard who is able to play The Witcher (1)? I have a problem where I can't select a resolution above 1366x768, and I suspect it's because of the integrated Intel GPU, in which case the problem should be present on all such systems.

Other people have been having this problem as well. There will likely be a patch soon then, but for now try disabling multi-monitor igpu support in they BIOS, it might fix it.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Thank you! Keyboard is a K60, with the red keys put on the arrow switches just for aesthetics, and yeah W8.

Headphones are an ATH-M50, case is a Fractal R3, and the monitor is a Crossover 27Q.

Also, don't be put off by the speakers, they sound fantastic, it's just that they're old and stick out. I'll be painting the casing on them tomorrow

Other people have been having this problem as well. There will likely be a patch soon then, but for now try disabling multi-monitor igpu support in they BIOS, it might fix it.

I got old Altec Lansing 885's they are old as hell but still sound great.

After a bit more research looking for a low profile card for my friend, I've narrowed it down to two possibliities:

Geforce 450 GTS $121 (overclocked to 883mhz)

Radeon 6670 for $99

From what I can tell, these two cards are pretty comparable. The first once doesn't explicitly stated "low profile" which kind of concerns me, but I just assume all models of this card are lp because I can't find any that has that label?

Does anybody have any preferences between these two cards?

clav

After a bit more research looking for a low profile card for my friend, I've narrowed it down to two possibliities:

Geforce 450 GTS $121 (overclocked to 883mhz)

Radeon 6670 for $99

From what I can tell, these two cards are pretty comparable. The first once doesn't explicitly stated "low profile" which kind of concerns me, but I just assume all models of this card are lp because I can't find any that has that label?

Does anybody have any preferences between these two cards?
What are you looking for this low profile video card to do?

What are you looking for this low profile video card to do?

Basically just run most modern games at low to medium settings.

I have a cheaper system with a 460 that I built for a media PC last summer aand it and it runs most games pretty well on my TV at 720p or 1080 at moderate to high settings.

Thus, I figured the 450 (while not ideal) will run most games for on similar hardware (he has the same processor and RAM as the system I built) will work ok for him. I just want to know which one of these would be the best card for gaming.

He isn't that tech savvy and I don't live in his area anymore so I can't help him transfer stuff to a bigger PC case, so it has gotta be a low profile card one way or the other.

At this point, though, it would just be nice to find a place to confirm that the first card is even low profile. I only found one source so far that declares it the best low profile card but I can't determine if all versions of this card are such.

MrBig

So at this res AA is almost unnecessary. I just set FXAA to low in BF3 and there is absolutely no jaggies visible, and it's a solid locked 60fps on my 670

Ceebs

So at this res AA is almost unnecessary. I just set FXAA to low in BF3 and there is absolutely no jaggies visible, and it's a solid locked 60fps on my 670

Can you run a game at 1080p fullscreen and take a pic? I am curious how bad it looks.

Fou-Lu

It's... so beautiful

5T3Dq.jpg

Amazing. I ran it through the lagom test and found absolutely no defects. I absolutely love it!

You have the same mouse and the same headphones as me. :p

Plus I'm going to be grabbing one of those monitors. What kind of video card are you using to run that monster? (Ah just saw 670, nevermind)

MrBig

Input lag on top of monitor input lag? Your KDR is upset with you.

If there's any input lag with adaptive vsync I can't notice it, and the monitor only has a 6ms input lag. But then again I don't run at 120hz or anything fancy like that

Can you run a game at 1080p fullscreen and take a pic? I am curious how bad it looks.

It looks pretty bad. I'll take a pic after I finish Witcher 2's tutorial

You have the same mouse and the same headphones as me. :p

Plus I'm going to be grabbing one of those monitors. What kind of video card are you using to run that monster? (Ah just saw 670, nevermind)

You won't regret it :)

mkenyon

Banned
I'll take one of each, thank you very much (anandtech Lian Li Computex Gallery).

Also, I think I may have found my case. Aside from the ugly all all getout front grill and I'll need to cut the whole top for a 360mm rad, a side panel window, and then powdercoat it. But the basic design has me won over. Cubitek Magicube AIO. EATX goodness in a fairly tiny chassis with plenty of room for whatever you want. I'd like two optical bays for a dual bay reservoir, but I can make do with this.

cubitek_magic_cube_aio_eatx_case_review_240_280_radiator1.jpg

cubitek_magic_cube_aio_eatx_case_review_240_280_radiator10.jpg

Also, for people looking for a fairly inexpensive compact ATX case, Lian Li just released the A55B.

6904282_0.png

a55-08.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm a lot less of a fan of LianLi style cases now. Dislike the aluminum interior. A big plus is they they are nice and light (at least mine was).

Thanks to people taking up my slack, been busy. Still haven't even gotten my main computer up yet.

clav

Basically just run most modern games at low to medium settings.

I have a cheaper system with a 460 that I built for a media PC last summer aand it and it runs most games pretty well on my TV at 720p or 1080 at moderate to high settings.

Thus, I figured the 450 (while not ideal) will run most games for on similar hardware (he has the same processor and RAM as the system I built) will work ok for him. I just want to know which one of these would be the best card for gaming.

He isn't that tech savvy and I don't live in his area anymore so I can't help him transfer stuff to a bigger PC case, so it has gotta be a low profile card one way or the other.

At this point, though, it would just be nice to find a place to confirm that the first card is even low profile. I only found one source so far that declares it the best low profile card but I can't determine if all versions of this card are such.

Sapphire revealed a low profile HD7750 a few days ago although there was no word on the release date.

Don't know if you want to wait.

HNHYx.jpg

http://www.techpowerup.com/167347/S...-HD-7750-Down-to-Single-Slot-Low-Profile.html

knitoe

It's... so beautiful

5T3Dq.jpg

Yeah. Another Crossover user. The picture is fabulous, especially at that price. People don't get sucker buying the $1000 monitors from Apple, Dell and etc. when you can get it for almost 1/3 of the price. And, it's time to dump the old monitor.

Fou-Lu

What's the best ebay store to grab one of these monitors from? Doesn't really matter to me if I get a Crossover, or a Yamakasi, or a Achieva, they all use the same panels anyways.

DyTonic

Banned
CPU: Amd 2 x4 940 black
PSU: 750w Rosewill
GPU: Evga GTX 260 core 216
Mobo: Asus m478 pro
Ram: OCZ 4gb ram

My specs again, what do I need to upgrade going into the fall to have better performance/graphics.

Lulubop

Considering getting a crossover as well, of the Korean IPS monitors available the stand seems the best. I'm pretty reluctant to order however in case of any defects.

Fou-Lu

My specs again, what do I need to upgrade going into the fall to have better performance/graphics.

If you don't want to spend a lot, upgrade your graphics card to something like a 7850.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm still deciding about whether to build a new pc or not.

My current PC is

Q9450 OC'd to 3.2
AMD 6950 2GB
4GB of RAM

If I was going to upgrade I'd probably get a $300ish Intel Processor, $300ish Nvidia Card this time, and 8-16 GB of RAM.

How much more powerful would this be?

I was thinking about starting Dolphin and PCSX2 emulation. How much does that depend on processor

mkenyon

Banned

All of it, really.

Start with the video card though. Once that isn't enough for you, it's time for a new mobo/proc/(maybe)RAM

I'm still deciding about whether to build a new pc or not.

My current PC is

Q9450 OC'd to 3.2
AMD 6950 2GB
4GB of RAM

If I was going to upgrade I'd probably get a $300ish Intel Processor, $300ish Nvidia Card this time, and 8-16 GB of RAM.

How much more powerful would this be?

I was thinking about starting Dolphin and PCSX2 emulation. How much does that depend on processor
8-16GB RAM will only help you if you are either running out of 4GB (unlikely) or do lots of photoshop stuff.

If anything, could OC your processor a bit more to get some more life out of it. $300 Nvidia card doesn't get you an upgrade over the 6950.

Dolphin and PCSX2 are really proc dependent, iirc. They both like a single speedy core. 2500K at 4.5ish will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom