• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBig

Accessorieswhole Perfect Pixel are A+ panels going by the items description.

They aren't actually A+ grade panels from LG, but they are panels that AW physically inspected and binned as having no visible defects that they feel are A+ quality. Not getting a "perfect pixel" doesn't mean you wont get a defect-free monitor, like I did, it's just that going down that route insures that you will.

Good to see you're enjoying it, and got a good panel :p.

It's more than I hoped it could be :)

KarmaCow

After my last attempt at buying a new PC fell through, I've tried to make a new build and want to make sure I didn't screw up anywhere. I want to try overclocking, but I'm not sure if the power supply is adequate, I've never tried this before.

Case: BitFenix Shinobi $70
Power Supply Unit: Antec Basiq BP550 Plus 550W $70
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 PRO4 ATX $130 I'm not quite sure if this is the best value, I just looked at whatever was in the OP.
Processor: i5 3570K Unlocked Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Ivy Bridge 6MB $240, It was only $20 more than the 2500K, so I figured why not
RAM: Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3-1600 $56
Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 460 1GB 823MHz $120
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM 64MB $115
SSD: Crucial M4 SSD Micron C400 128GB $120

Total: ~$1100 (with Windows 7)

The graphics card is where I'm most sketchy at the moment. It's going to be the bottle neck but I think it should be fine for my purposes for now. From what I've read, the GTX 560 is basically an overclocked GTX 460, so should I just try over clocking it or is that troublesome? Should I get another fan for the case or will the two that the case comes be fine for overclocking?

Thanks in advance.

Coldsnap

I hate this tread. After dropping in yesterday for some computer help I have bought a $80 keyboard and now I feel an itch to update my computer. Damn u guyz.

Lulubop

They aren't actually A+ grade panels from LG, but they are panels that AW physically inspected and binned as having no visible defects that they feel are A+ quality. Not getting a "perfect pixel" doesn't mean you wont get a defect-free monitor, like I did, it's just that going down that route insures that you will.

Says A+ rating giving from the manufacturer and not themselves.

*shrug

Smokey

You still deal with microstutter and profile management. Unless you absolutely need more power than a 670 or 680 can give you I would try to avoid multiple GPUs.

I feel like this "microstutter" complaint is fairly overblown.

For a gaming PC, your graphic setup is the most important item. Do you plan to upgrade the graphic card later on? If yes, one GPU is fine. If no, SLI is the way to go. With running multi GPU, at worst, you can disable them, run only 1 card, if it gives you trouble.

This

mkenyon

Banned
Like I said, what I'm seeing is not a really huge difference in the games at that link that I own (Skyrim, JC2, Metro) - only a bout 15fps on average. Not quite enough to justify a new system with the same graphics card. Is the Q6600 really going to fall out of relevancy within the next year? And how much is my mere 3GB of RAM holding me back right now?
Don't look at FPS difference, look at percentage difference. It's more like 30-50% in the CPU bound games. Simple as this though, if you want something more powerful now, get a new videocard. Once performance just isn't cutting it for you or if you start playing a game that requires too much out of your CPU, then you upgrade the rest of the system.
mATX and mITX aren't the same thing right?

I'm quite taken by this case but I don't think it has the right layout :(

Small%20(1%20of%2011).jpg
They aren't but both ASRock and ASUS have awesome itx boards.

ASUS Z77-I Deluxe

1330993615hiXMTMZJxb_1_16_l.jpg

ASRock Z77E-ITX

21d8d_Z77E-ITX-45o.jpg

You can fit any size of videocard in the case, as well as two radiators if you want a totally watercooled build. I have a pretty sweet plan for mine. :p
Why didnt gaf tell me how unbelievably fantastic 120hz monitors are? Holy shit I just picked up a BenQ 2420t and holy shit! I feel like I'm back on CRTs! Its like my desktop has that 60fps feel lol
This is my #1 agenda, to get everyone on board with 120hz. #2 is the 30nm Samsung RAM. Glad you are enjoying it! Truly makes games feel like that step up to a different fidelity.

clav

Don't look at FPS difference, look at percentage difference. It's more like 30-50% in the CPU bound games. Simple as this though, if you want something more powerful now, get a new videocard. Once performance just isn't cutting it for you or if you start playing a game that requires too much out of your CPU, then you upgrade the rest of the system.

ASUS Z77-I Deluxe

ASRock Z77E-ITX

21d8d_Z77E-ITX-45o.jpg

You can fit any size of videocard in the case, as well as two radiators if you want a totally watercooled build. I have a pretty sweet plan for mine. :p

This is my #1 agenda, to get everyone on board with 120hz. #2 is the 30nm Samsung RAM. Glad you are enjoying it! Truly makes games feel like that step up to a different fidelity.

How do you fit a dual-slot card (one slot + large heatsink) on a ITX board?

You can't use a standard ITX case right?

mkenyon

Banned
It fits just fine, as it goes down a second slot away from the motherboard. Most itx cases have plenty of room for that. The really really small form factor cases wouldn't though. One could even say that you have to look at it on a case by case basis. *rimshot*

Veal

ASUS Z77-I Deluxe

ASRock Z77E-ITX

21d8d_Z77E-ITX-45o.jpg

I'm going with this case in white and that ASUS mobo. Can't wait to start building!

mkenyon

Banned
I'm trying to figure out how I can mount the innards of a headphone amp in the case and have a direct connection to it rather than an external wire. No room for a sound card, and the onboard audio looks kind of bad. Thinking I might do it from the front panel connection.

I think I might have just boned myself a little bit. Doing my first build. I mixed and matched from the OPs lower end combos. I am really sold on an AMD 6870 card, but somebody happened to mention in a review that the card requires 2 6-pin power connectors and that is visible from pictures.

Problem is, I went with the Antec VP450 power supply recommended in the OP but it only has one 6-pin connector from what I can tell. I haven't bought the graphics card yet but the rest of the parts are on their way to me now including the power supply.

What should I do? Buy an adapter or return the power supply and get a different one that has the extra port? Should I get a card a little less powerful than a 6870 that has the single port to avoid the hassle of returning the power supply? Am I reading the situation right?

Shambles

I think I might have just boned myself a little bit. Doing my first build. I mixed and matched from the OPs lower end combos. I am really sold on an AMD 6870 card, but somebody happened to mention in a review that the card requires 2 6-pin power connectors and that is visible from pictures.

Problem is, I went with the Antec VP450 power supply recommended in the OP but it only has one 6-pin connector from what I can tell. I haven't bought the graphics card yet but the rest of the parts are on their way to me now including the power supply.

What should I do? Buy an adapter or return the power supply and get a different one that has the extra port? Should I get a card a little less powerful than a 6870 that has the single port to avoid the hassle of returning the power supply? Am I reading the situation right?

Usually the GPU comes with a 2 molex -> PCIE adapter. Check the product information on the 6870 you're looking at to make sure it does. You can also but the adapter separately, or if you know another PC builder they probably have a couple laying around.

Ocho

Something like these: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51X7p+JqsNL._AA1200_.jpg

Usually the GPU comes with a 2 molex -> PCIE adapter. Check the product information on the 6870 you're looking at to make sure it does. You can also but the adapter separately, or if you know another PC builder they probably have a couple laying around.

Thanks guys. It's hard to tell what cables come with the cards, at least on Newegg's site but I'll poke around some more. Happy that I'll still have the option to purchase one separately. Does using an adapter hurt the reliability of the card and/or the power supply?

Negaiido

Case: Corsair Carbide 500R Black
-reason: My current case was quite small with my 6950 and the cable management is quite difficult

Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H100

Graphics Card: Asus GTX680-2GD5

Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K Boxed

PSU: Corsair Enthusiast TX550M
- reason: My current PSU is non-modular and it was a nightmare to build

SSD: Samsung 830 series 256GB
- reason: Current SSD is 64 GB which is a bit small, I play MMO's so a little bigger is always better. Might take a 128 instead because 256GB is quite expensive.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H

Can someone please help me with this build? Does anyone have experience with the case that I'm planning to buy? I'd like to have a big enough case that allowes a second graphics card in the future.

KHarvey16

Thanks guys. It's hard to tell what cables come with the cards, at least on Newegg's site but I'll poke around some more. Happy that I'll still have the option to purchase one separately. Does using an adapter hurt the reliability of the card and/or the power supply?

Nope.

Any indication on your PSU about which connectors are on which of the two 12V rails? Each rail provides 18A but I'm not sure what kind of power the 6870 needs from those 6 pin connectors.

mkenyon

Banned
Can someone please help me with this build? Does anyone have experience with the case that I'm planning to buy? I'd like to have a big enough case that allowes a second graphics card in the future.
The 500R/400R/300R are all not that great. Corsair has expanded too much too fast in recent years. The 690II Advanced and Fractal Arc Midi are better in just about every measurable way.

Also, the fans that come with the H100 are pretty loud and not that great for how fast they spin.

Negaiido

The 500R/400R/300R are all not that great. Corsair has expanded too much too fast in recent years. The 690II Advanced and Fractal Arc Midi are better in just about every measurable way.

Also, the fans that come with the H100 are pretty loud and not that great for how fast they spin.

Thanks will look into those cases.

Would the H80 be the better alternative for liquid cooling then? In the OP H100 is suggested but I guess I shouldn't completely listen to that :)

Is there anything to loo forward to in the next few months?

I have the option of either building my new PC now, or wait until September to go through my console backlog of games, before I jump back into PC.

Any idea?

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks will look into those cases.

Would the H80 be the better alternative for liquid cooling then? In the OP H100 is suggested but I guess I shouldn't completely listen to that :)
Nah, same fans. Just a heads up though, not a "the unit sucks", more as in, "if you dont want your computer loud, you should look at buying fans to go along with it".

I have the option of either building my new PC now, or wait until September to go through my console backlog of games, before I jump back into PC.

Any idea?
GTX660 in August maybe. Other than that, nope. Going to be pretty stagnant here for awhile.

Ceebs

Any idea?

Are you going with a higher end video card or wanting to stay in the midrange $200 area?

The only thing I would possibly wait for is the 660 cards if you do not want to spend 400+ bucks on a GPU, but who knows when those will actually come out.

Negaiido

Nah, same fans. Just a heads up though, not a "the unit sucks", more as in, "if you dont want your computer loud, you should look at buying fans to go along with it".

I just want to have a good cooled system after OC'ing, I guess it won't be completely sound proof but a bit is not a big problem.

lol @ Smokey :p

GTX660 in August maybe. Other than that, nope. Going to be pretty stagnant here for awhile.

Ceebs said:
Are you going with a higher end video card or wanting to stay in the midrange $200 area?

The only thing I would possibly wait for is the 660 cards if you do not want to spend 400+ bucks on a GPU, but who knows when those will actually come out.

Welp I will go high end so I may just take the plunge soon.

Hawk269

Real Water Cooling is simply amazing!!! I have been working a yet another re-design of my rig and have been in the testing phase the last few days. Previously I had the Corsair H100 with Scythe Gentle Typhoons running at aroung 2250 RPM's and my highest stable overclock was 4.6 on a I7-3930k CPU. This was with a 1.40 voltage tweak and temps would hit at the highest level 85c on one of the cores. I tried going 4.7, but temps would get to the 90c and it would crash after a few hours of Prime95 with up to a 1.43 voltage tweak.

With the new rig with a real water cooling loop, I am at a 4.8 OC and using 1.392 volts and was stable in Prime95 for 12 hours straight. Temps never hit higher that 61c on one of the cores for the entire 12 hour run. Simply amazing. I am sure that 5.0 is easily within reach if I choose to do so.

What impresses me is that I can use less voltage than I did when attempting a 4.7oc than a 4.8oc. I always knew a true water loop did great things with temps, but since the CPU is running at such a low celcius it has allowed me to OC higher with less voltage.

My GPU on the otherhand is even more impressive. With a Koolance 690 Waterblock, my highest recorded temp has been 32c on GPU1, while GPU2 is running at 28c. This is after 1 hour of Unigine at full details. On air, my cards would idle at 28c, now at load they are right around the same.

I have some pictures to post of the finished rig..well almost finished. I am going to swap out the high RPM Scythe's with lower RPM fans on the RAD's to quiet down the system a bit and still be able to maintain excellent cooling.

If anyone has considered of going full water, I would highly recommend it. While daunting at first, it actually is pretty eash once you have the right parts and good information.

I also want to thank Mkenyon for all his help. I would of never been able to complete this project without his advice and help. Thanks man!!!

Real Water Cooling is simply amazing!!! I have been working a yet another re-design of my rig and have been in the testing phase the last few days. Previously I had the Corsair H100 with Scythe Gentle Typhoons running at aroung 2250 RPM's and my highest stable overclock was 4.6 on a I7-3930k CPU. This was with a 1.40 voltage tweak and temps would hit at the highest level 85c on one of the cores. I tried going 4.7, but temps would get to the 90c and it would crash after a few hours of Prime95 with up to a 1.43 voltage tweak.

With the new rig with a real water cooling loop, I am at a 4.8 OC and using 1.392 volts and was stable in Prime95 for 12 hours straight. Temps never hit higher that 61c on one of the cores for the entire 12 hour run. Simply amazing. I am sure that 5.0 is easily within reach if I choose to do so.

What impresses me is that I can use less voltage than I did when attempting a 4.7oc than a 4.8oc. I always knew a true water loop did great things with temps, but since the CPU is running at such a low celcius it has allowed me to OC higher with less voltage.

My GPU on the otherhand is even more impressive. With a Koolance 690 Waterblock, my highest recorded temp has been 32c on GPU1, while GPU2 is running at 28c. This is after 1 hour of Unigine at full details. On air, my cards would idle at 28c, now at load they are right around the same.

I have some pictures to post of the finished rig..well almost finished. I am going to swap out the high RPM Scythe's with lower RPM fans on the RAD's to quiet down the system a bit and still be able to maintain excellent cooling.

If anyone has considered of going full water, I would highly recommend it. While daunting at first, it actually is pretty eash once you have the right parts and good information.

I also want to thank Mkenyon for all his help. I would of never been able to complete this project without his advice and help. Thanks man!!!
Radiators are for children. Real men use bong coolers
http://www.overclockers.com/nuclear-tower-water-cooling/

Nope.

Any indication on your PSU about which connectors are on which of the two 12V rails? Each rail provides 18A but I'm not sure what kind of power the 6870 needs from those 6 pin connectors.

Looking at a YouTube unboxing video where a guy holds up a piece of paper that came with it, it looks like everything runs on the first rail (mobo, PCI, molex, SATA, floppy) except for a 4+4 pin (8 pin) ATX12V EPS connector which runs on the second. I'm not sure why that is the balance but there it is. Should I get the adapter for the 4+4 then so the two rails are running into the card?

sikkinixx

ASUS Z77-I Deluxe

ASRock Z77E-ITX

21d8d_Z77E-ITX-45o.jpg

I wish I had considered these before I picked up the Maximus gene-z a few months back. I wanted a smaller rig but moving down to mATX didn't really give me much opportunity to save space. Hmmmmmm.... maybe yet another upgrade....

mkenyon

Banned
Looking at a YouTube unboxing video where a guy holds up a piece of paper that came with it, it looks like everything runs on the first rail (mobo, PCI, molex, SATA, floppy) except for a 4+4 pin (8 pin) ATX12V EPS connector which runs on the second. I'm not sure why that is the balance but there it is. Should I get the adapter for the 4+4 then so the two rails are running into the card?
The 4+4 will be powering your CPU. You'll want it for the molex/stata. I'll almost guarantee the card comes with one, and if it doesn't, I have like a bajillion of those laying around I'd send you for free.

KHarvey16

Like mkenyon said the 4+4 will be needed for your CPU. In all likelihood the 18A will be sufficient and your card will come with an adapter for each connector.

The 4+4 will be powering your CPU. You'll want it for the molex/stata. I'll almost guarantee the card comes with one, and if it doesn't, I have like a bajillion of those laying around I'd send you for free.

Heh I feel dumb. I forgot the motherboard and the CPU had separate power. You can tell this is my first time. Actually the one model of card I want doesn't come with any cables. Go figure. I'd be grateful for one of yours. The molex to PCI, right?

Like mkenyon said the 4+4 will be needed for your CPU. In all likelihood the 18A will be sufficient and your card will come with an adapter for each connector.

I'm dumb x 2. The 6870 is only around 150W which seems pretty midrange. I guess I'm in worst case scenario mode in my head.

Xyphie

Yeah, mITX cases and boards are getting to the point that you can get a real high-end computer (full length GPU, ATX PSU, chipset with overclocking etc) with them for basically the same price as a ATX system. The new Fractal Design mITX case and the Prodigy are both sleak as fuck, my next upgrade will definitely be a mITX system.

zoku88

So basically, my faithful BenQ FP241VW might have just kicked the bucket today (I can't seem to turn it on and it had been sketchy for the past few months.)

Does anyone have any recommendations for any 24" monitor (1920x1200 or higher) that are better than that monitor but with less or the same height?

DVI and HDMI are really the only inputs I need, but component would be nice too. I'd be up to spend upwards of about $1k for a monitor. (unless you guys think display quality is going to rise sharply somewhat soon, making this monitor only a temporary one.)

EDIT: NVM, it finally turned on after like 30 tries :) Anyway, would still like recommendations. This monitor is getting pretty old (got this in summer 2007), so not sure how long I can depend on it. I think this is actually the second time this has happened.

Ceebs

Having trouble deciding on which case I should pick up. Any suggestions?

I need the following:

Dust filters
Good airflow
Drive bays must support 2.5" drives
Clean minimal look (nothing that screams 13 year old badass)
Front panel headphone and mic port
No more than 120 bucks

mkenyon

Banned
Having trouble deciding on which case I should pick up. Any suggestions?

I need the following:

Dust filters
Good airflow
Drive bays must support 2.5" drives
Clean minimal look (nothing that screams 13 year old badass)
Front panel headphone and mic port
No more than 120 bucks
Arc Midi
Bitfenix Raider
Lian Li PC-9F
Lian Li A55
Coolermaster 690II
Silverstone KL04
Coolermaster Silencio 550

2.5" support for mechanical or SSD? Because you can double tape SSD's anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom