• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Do NOT buy this shit, they have a massive issue with their firmware where keys get "stuck", especially the backspace key. So it'll just start erasing all the shit you just wrote, it'll hold down modifier keys ( Shift, Alt etc. ) out of the blue and it has made me rage so bad.

Still no ETA on the firmware fix.
Thanks for that! I was trying to think of a board that had macro keys, and that's the only one that I hadn't heard anything bad about. Will keep in mind for sure.

The 6870 is about $15 cheaper, but someone said it needs a "molex -> pcie-adapter", whatever that is. My friends recommended the 560 but admittedly they prefer Nvidia. If you're saying the Radeon card is better at that price, I guess I'll go for that.

It has a speed of 900 MHz versus 830 MHz for the Nvidia, is that what makes it faster? I don't want to mess with overclocking, I want my stuff to be stable for years.

With that said, as for the drive I think I'm gonna go with an Intel 330 120GB drive, roughly $30 more expensive than a similar drive in another brand but that one had lots of complaints about BSODs. After replacing my motherboard (and CPU+RAM) last fall because of BSODs galore I don't ever want to see one again.

clav

The 6870 is about $15 cheaper, but someone said it needs a "molex -> pcie-adapter", whatever that is. My friends recommended the 560 but admittedly they prefer Nvidia. If you're saying the Radeon card is better at that price, I guess I'll go for that.

It has a speed of 900 MHz versus 830 MHz for the Nvidia, is that what makes it faster? I don't want to mess with overclocking, I want my stuff to be stable for years.

With that said, as for the drive I think I'm gonna go with an Intel 330 120GB drive, roughly $30 more expensive than a similar drive in another brand but that one had lots of complaints about BSODs. After replacing my motherboard (and CPU+RAM) last fall because of BSODs galore I don't ever want to see one again.

If your friends recommended the Geforce 560, then they don't know what they're talking about. Geforce 560 Ti or better for Nvidia.

HD6870 is best for its money in its class.

As for the SSD, have you looked at the Crucial M4 or Samsung 830?

Samsung is a bit more expensive. Cheapest M4 is about the same as the Intel, but has only 175 MB write speed. Seems a bit low compared to the others.

Hoplatee

I was planning to buy an ASUS GTX670-DC2T-2GD5 but it is out of stock everywhere in The Netherlands with no clear sign when they'll be available again. Are these cards that scarce?

Anyway, I'm contemplating if I should just wait for it to be in stock or should I go with the non-TOP version? Alternatively, I could also buy an EVGA Geforce GTX 670 FTW. Is the difference with these video cards in performance substantial in games? Or does anyone have a better suggestion?

Try here for the non top version if those are still out of stock everywhere as well. I got mine from them. Says they will get 10 tomorrow. I was focussed on the Top version as well but got sick of waiting and was advised to change to the normal version and just OC it yourself. Works great and cheaper.

If you care about fan noise then that one is the one to get. Under heavy load after a few hours I still don't hear it and stays cool. It's amazing.

e: Also here. They even have them in Stock. (quick search around shops still shows they are 'tough' to get) I buy from those stores only and never had any problems. Always next day arrival. I prefer Komplett by far though.

I ordered the parts for my dream PC a few days ago and they're all set to arrive today...except for the fucking case. I emptied out an old ATX case I had in storage, cleaned it up, and got it ready to use as a temporary until the case arrived on Monday. I wake up this morning and check the UPS tracking number and see this:

trolled.png

UPS be trollin'.

mkenyon

Banned
Hah! Union Gap. I'm right over the mountains from you in Oly. Went to Central for a year, so of course went over to Yakima often to buy electronic toys.

Grats on the case, good luck with the build.

*edit*
To be clear, I meant "funny how small forum worlds can be".

You ever head over to PDXLAN?

Graafke

The TOP version has been known to cause crashes/bsod when boost kicks in, but there's not a whole load of people saying it. Probably just an unlucky minority on the internet. You can always overclock the non-TOP version manually. The EVGA GTX 670 FTW has essentially the same performance as the Asus cards, give or take 1 or 2 fps in each direction. The fan on the FTW is louder though, noticeably so but not to a huge degree.

Try here for the non top version if those are still out of stock everywhere as well. I got mine from them. Says they will get 10 tomorrow. I was focussed on the Top version as well but got sick of waiting and was advised to change to the normal version and just OC it yourself. Works great and cheaper.

If you care about fan noise then that one is the one to get. Under heavy load after a few hours I still don't hear it and stays cool. It's amazing.

e: Also here. They even have them in Stock. (quick search around shops still shows they are 'tough' to get) I buy from those stores only and never had any problems. Always next day arrival. I prefer Komplett by far though.

Thanks for the input! I might just go for the non-top version. That version definitely seems to be readily available. I'll probably wait until early next week to see how things develop with the TOP version.

@Carecrow: How much did you overclock your GPU? Do you have a good overclocking guide available?

cametall

Anyone have experience with these closed loop coolers? I have a Corsair H60 attached to my Asus P8Z77-V LX motherboard and I cannot control the pump speed. It runs at a constant 4200 RPM.

I've been reading in a few places that at 4200 RPM the H60 is actually being heated up, or at least causing cooling to be less efficient. Anyone know how accurate that is? Supposedly the sweet spot is around 3800 RPM.

On that note, does anyone have an NZXT Sentry Mesh? Does it do its simple job well enough (better yet is anyone currently trying what I plan on attempting)? I've been considering getting one to control the H60's pump.

mkenyon

Banned
Anyone have experience with these closed loop coolers? I have a Corsair H60 attached to my Asus P8Z77-V LX motherboard and I cannot control the pump speed. It runs at a constant 4200 RPM.

I've been reading in a few places that at 4200 RPM the H60 is actually being heated up, or at least causing cooling to be less efficient. Anyone know how accurate that is? Supposedly the sweet spot is around 3800 RPM.

On that note, does anyone have an NZXT Sentry Mesh? Does it do its simple job well enough (better yet is anyone currently trying what I plan on attempting)? I've been considering getting one to control the H60's pump.
1) Yes, tons.
2) Flow rate doesn't really affect temperatures that much, and the idea that the pump would actually heat the water sounds like anecdotal positing at its best. I say shenanigans until there's some hard proof.
3) Yeah, used one on a 600T build with the H100 to try and troubleshoot persistent bubbles that wouldn't escape. Worked well. BitFenix Hydra Pro is a good choice too for about the same price.

*edited for grammar, in case my 9th grade english teacher happens to read GAF.

Gav47

Any thoughts on this build? I don't really plan on overclocking or anything. I just want to spend under 3k
1000w power supply is too much for a 680 go with a 750w. Not sure if you need the two disc drives, won't the blu ray burner burn DVDs as well? Any reason your going for 2x1tb drives instead of one 2tb?

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
1000w power supply is too much for a 680 go with a 750w. Not sure if you need the two disc drives, won't the blu ray burner burn DVDs as well? Any reason your going for 2x1tb drives instead of one 2tb?

I may upgrade to SLI at some point. I wasn't sure what the power requirement would be for that. I was going to do a RAID with the two hard drives.
I usually like to have two disc drives in my system especially since the DVD burner is only $16

mkenyon

Banned
I may upgrade to SLI at some point. I wasn't sure what the power requirement would be for that. I was going to do a RAID with the two hard drives.
Looks like you're planning on this for editing as much as gaming, is this correct?

Things like a blu-ray drive plus a dvd burner seem like major overkill to me unless the above is true. Same with the 2600K.

For two 680s, a good 750W or 850W will be plenty. Get one from the OP.

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
Looks like you're planning on this for editing as much as gaming, is this correct?

Things like a blu-ray drive plus a dvd burner seem like major overkill to me unless the above is true. Same with the 2600K.

For two 680s, a good 750W or 850W will be plenty. Get one from the OP.

Yeah, I would be using it for Maya, Photoshop, video editing etc as well as gaming/general use. I don't mind a little overkill as long as it stays inside my price range. I've considered professional level video cards but they've always seemed like a waste to me in practice considering the price spike.

Gav47

You could certainly get two 680 on a 750w supply, they have a TDP of 195w each, and you say your not interested in overclocking anything so it should be fine. Everything else looks great.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah I would be using it for Maya, Photoshop, video editing etc. I don't mind a little overkill as long as it stays inside my price range. I've considered professional level video cards but they've always seemed like a waste to me in practice considering the price spike.
Might want to take a gander at the X79 platofrm and a 3930K instead.

Basically, take the extravagant build in the OP. Reduce video card to a GTX670, PSU to an AX650/750 or X650/750, swap ram for two kits of this, and possibly a different motherboard like the Biostar Tpower X79, ASRock Extreme 4/7 X79, or Gigabyte X79 UD3. If you need more detail than that, like links and whatnot, lemme know.

X79 platform is exactly intended for lots of multimedia work.

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
Might want to take a gander at the X79 platofrm and a 3930K instead.

Basically, take the extravagant build in the OP. Reduce video card to a GTX670, PSU to an AX650/750 or X650/750, swap ram for two kits of this, and possibly a different motherboard like the Biostar Tpower X79, ASRock Extreme 4/7 X79, or Gigabyte X79 UD3. If you need more detail than that, like links and whatnot, lemme know.

X79 platform is exactly intended for lots of multimedia work.

I'll check that out and do a build. Thanks both for the recommendations.

Azzurri

Gold Member
I have a problem with my GTX 580 SC, it get really hot when I play games like 90-95c. I'm pretty sure it's not normal

Well spank my ass and call me charlie.....

Basically, i have always not bothered upgrading my CPU, literally been using the same ol X4 640 for all these years and thought its always the GPU (mostly) that matters, today i finally got myself an I5 2500K, so far i like whats changes.

Black Ops no longer stutters at all, plays just like every other Call of Duty now (Not that it gets excused, i still think they fucked it up when MW2 and 3 ran silky smooth before)
Crysis seems to maintain a steady frame rate, no more big drops in action heavy physical areas.
Mass Effect 3, used to have the odd dip here and there, no longer, 60+ all the way.

Next game to try will be GTA IV to see the impact it has on that, and then some BF3.

Im happy :)

cametall

If anyone has a buzzing/clicking Corsair H60/80/100 they are now replacing them with units that have corrected the bearing issue (instead of sending out other faulty units as replacements).

RamGuy has been sending people a PM in the forums who mention having the issue.

EagleBurn

Banned
I'm about to buy my first powerful gaming PC. I'm currently in college, so I want to get the best deal possible. My father (who knows a lot about PC) said that it's better to buy one whole instead of building it. He says there will be a lot of driver issues and many things won't work with one another. Is this true?

Tess3ract

Banned
I'm about to buy my first powerful gaming PC. I'm currently in college, so I want to get the best deal possible. My father (who knows a lot about PC) said that it's better to buy one whole instead of building it. He says there will be a lot of driver issues and many things won't work with one another. Is this true?
No.

clav

Your father doesn't know what he's talking about.

MrBig

Really the only driver that I had to download, except for all the mobo extras, is for the SATA controller. Windows grabs everything for you. Building it is the easiest and funnest part, it's just sifting through all the crap to find the stuff you want before you build that can be a pain.

Figure out your budget, check the op for an idea of what you'll be looking for and then post here and people will help you.

EagleBurn

Banned
Really the only driver that I had to download, except for all the mobo extras, is for the SATA controller. Windows grabs everything for you. Building it is the easiest and funnest part, it's just sifting through all the crap to find the stuff you want before you build that can be a pain.

Figure out your budget, check the op for an idea of what you'll be looking for and then post here and people will help you.

Thanks, I thought this was the case because I never heard anyone complain about any driver issues before. I think my dad is just dated on information, he used to build PC's back in '95, so...

Noaloha

Messing around in my nightly Googletrot reading up on component bits, I just stumbled across something I'm rather ashamed not to have noticed prior to clicking a 'purchase' button.

I have an Asus HD 7970 DirectCUII (non-OC'ed) videocard sat in the corner of the room, patiently awaiting a build that's scheduled for late August.

Turns out, according to the internet at least, that the Asus 7970s are voltage locked or something, neutering their overclockabilityness (technical term). Can this be confirmed/denied? If true, am I right in assuming that the card will be stuck at stock settings of 925MHz, without the option to fiddle with buttons and hit numbers akin to the OC/TOP cards registering figures at 1000+MHz?

I don't know whether to treat this as a tragedy or not. I mean, the card's likely to be a monster regardless as far as I could ever tell, but I'm nevertheless a little perturbed that the option of flicking alien switches and fiddling with scary risk/reward settings might be denied to me.

mkenyon

Banned
I don't think it's dirty, I just think it's defected, it's been doing this since I've bought it.
Sounds like it. You can either try and reseat the heatsink or RMA it. Did you buy it from a person who registered it or from a store?

Messing around in my nightly Googletrot reading up on component bits, I just stumbled across something I'm rather ashamed not to have noticed prior to clicking a 'purchase' button.

I have an Asus HD 7970 DirectCUII (non-OC'ed) videocard sat in the corner of the room, patiently awaiting a build that's scheduled for late August.

Turns out, according to the internet at least, that the Asus 7970s are voltage locked or something, neutering their overclockabilityness (technical term). Can this be confirmed/denied? If true, am I right in assuming that the card will be stuck at stock settings of 925MHz, without the option to fiddle with buttons and hit numbers akin to the OC/TOP cards registering figures at 1000+MHz?

I don't know whether to treat this as a tragedy or not. I mean, the card's likely to be a monster regardless as far as I could ever tell, but I'm nevertheless a little perturbed that the option of flicking alien switches and fiddling with scary risk/reward settings might be denied to me.
I don't know what source you have that says this, but I have not heard of such things. A friend of mine actually got a ~1275mhz clock out of his DCII 7970 on air. Pretty sweet card.

Well spank my ass and call me charlie.....

Basically, i have always not bothered upgrading my CPU, literally been using the same ol X4 640 for all these years and thought its always the GPU (mostly) that matters, today i finally got myself an I5 2500K, so far i like whats changes.

Black Ops no longer stutters at all, plays just like every other Call of Duty now (Not that it gets excused, i still think they fucked it up when MW2 and 3 ran silky smooth before)
Crysis seems to maintain a steady frame rate, no more big drops in action heavy physical areas.
Mass Effect 3, used to have the odd dip here and there, no longer, 60+ all the way.

Next game to try will be GTA IV to see the impact it has on that, and then some BF3.

Im happy :)
"AMD quad core won't bottleneck anything/is fine" crowd please read this. I had the same experience.

Ceebs

new build is up and running, but there is a bit of a story on how it got this way.

So I ordered my parts + case on Newegg on Monday. The case showed up today (Bitfenix Raider) at 7PM and I was eager to get building.

I tear into it and am opening up the case to check it out and I find this:

Front Panel:
photongjr5.jpg

Top Panel:

photo18lk5n.jpg

Well fuck. So I call up Newegg and just start the process of a refund, because fuck waiting another 2 weeks for a replacement case.

Once that is done I head out towards Microcenter and grab a Fractal Arc Midi (Probably should have done this in the first place)

As a reminder I am north of Atlanta and the Microcenter is pretty much where all the northbound traffic from the city and anywhere around it merges.

So I leave Microcenter and find myself sitting in the famous Atlanta traffic for 2 hours on my way home.

After that everything goes swimingly.

img_20120629_231623r2kk2.jpg

I have a few dangling fan wires I will clean up later. I am tired of dealing with this thing atm.

Ran Prime95 for a bit and these are the load temps I am getting on a 3570K @ stock settings. These look alright?

untitledx4j8x.png

PS. That massive Noctua cooler is DEAD SILENT. I can't hear a thing from it. Super impressive.

So I posted on here the other day, but now I'm literally ready to press the button on my first gaming PC. I'm in Aus so prices etc will reflect that. The online store is PCcasegear.

So the specific requirements I have are; quite, OC-able and great for gaming. With that in mind and with $1800 to spend, this is a rough build of what I'm looking at so far, but I would love some input/suggestions.

Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Black USB 3.0 – $138.00 (I really like the minimalistic look of this case)

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K – $245.00 (I don't need an i7 cause I won't be video editing etc right?)

GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 670 DirectCU II – $529.00 (Apparently the Asus card is quite and cool with some room for OC'ing?)

MOBO: ASUS P8Z77-V LK Motherboard – $169.00 (don't really know anything about MOBO's, it was recommended to me. Is the Motherboard important in OC'ing the CPU/GPU?)

PSU: Corsair TX-650M Modular Power Supply – $129.00 OR
Corsair HX-650 Power Supply – $129.00 (What is the difference, is one preferable over the other, is the HX also modular, will this be enough power for this rig?)

RAM: G.Skill F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 – $65.00 (8GB is fine for gaming right?)

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 – $119.00 (I was told to avoid the WD green lol)

SSD: Crucial M4 SSD 128GB – $155.00 (Will be used for the OS and games, I can transfer the games I'm no longer playing to the HDD quite easily?)

CPU cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler - $39.00 (will be enough to keep the CPU cool at mediumish clocks? Say 4.2-4.3)

ODD: Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW OEM – $25.00 (May not even use it, but for the price I might as well).

What about wifi and Bluetooth support, any suggestions here?

Currently sitting at $1613 without wifi/BT or shipping.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

comrade

new build is up and running, but there is a bit of a story on how it got this way.

So I ordered my parts + case on Newegg on Monday. The case showed up today (Bitfenix Raider) at 7PM and I was eager to get building.

I tear into it and am opening up the case to check it out and I find this:

Front Panel:

Top Panel:

Well fuck. So I call up Newegg and just start the process of a refund, because fuck waiting another 2 weeks for a replacement case.

Once that is done I head out towards Microcenter and grab a Fractal Arc Midi (Probably should have done this in the first place)

As a reminder I am north of Atlanta and the Microcenter is pretty much where all the northbound traffic from the city and anywhere around it merges.

So I leave Microcenter and find myself sitting in the famous Atlanta traffic for 2 hours on my way home.

After that everything goes swimingly.

I have a few dangling fan wires I will clean up later. I am tired of dealing with this thing atm.

Ran Prime95 for a bit and these are the load temps I am getting on a 3570K @ stock settings. These look alright?

PS. That massive Noctua cooler is DEAD SILENT. I can't hear a thing from it. Super impressive.
Those are great temps under load. I've also got the same cooler and the thing is glorious.

Ceebs

Those are great temps under load. I've also got the same cooler and the thing is glorious.

The noise level alone was worth the 85 bucks. Gonna overclock and see how the temps look tomorrow.

What sort of temperatures should I be looking for if I get to around 4.5ghz?

mkenyon

Banned
The noise level alone was worth the 85 bucks. Gonna overclock and see how the temps look tomorrow.

What sort of temperatures should I be looking for if I get to around 4.5ghz?
Think about replacing the rest of your case fans with Noctuas.

Yeah, it is that awesome.

Ceebs

Think about replacing the rest of your case fans with Noctuas.

Yeah, it is that awesome.

The Fractal ones that came with the case are pretty quiet, I don't think I need to go that crazy yet.

Just gave The Witcher 2 a test run now that I have something to actually push this display. Looks fantastic and runs smoothly. It's not 60FPS on Ultra, but I did not expect it at this res.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom