• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

Looking for a new computer case. What are some good medium sized ones around a $100 price range?

What do you mean by medium size? Is your motherboard ATX? The Corsair's are very easy to build with and look pretty decent. NewEgg is having a sale on some of Lian Li's cases. Several right around your price point

MisterNoisy

Any recommendations on a good, quiet, modular PSU that is around 650w? Also, the last modular one that I owned had really thick cables which could barely bend so it sucked for cable management. Not sure if that is the norm but would not like to have those again.

The NZXT HALE82 650W is absurdly cheap on Newegg if you order today. Use coupon code 'EMCYTZT1811' to take it down to $72 and redeem the $30 rebate for a total price of $42. Nice flat modular cables, too.

mkenyon

Banned
Looking for a new computer case. What are some good medium sized ones around a $100 price range?
Everything in that price range wishes it was as good as the Fractal Arc Midi and Coolermaster 690II.
Any recommendations on a good, quiet, modular PSU that is around 650w? Also, the last modular one that I owned had really thick cables which could barely bend so it sucked for cable management. Not sure if that is the norm but would not like to have those again.
Corsair AX/Seasonic X are hybrid silent PSU's with gold ratings. The fan doesn't even turn on unless the PSU is under load. I don't buy anything else for my computers.

KarmaCow

Just wanted to say thanks for everyone who helped create and maintain this thread. I just got my PC all set up and it wouldn't have been possible without this thread.

Mangotron

I have a quick overclocking question.

I have an FX-8120 and a Rocketfish cooler (it's a rebaged Coolermaster, similar to the 212) with Arctic Silver Ceramique on it. I clocked it up to 4GHz by changing the multiplier on stock voltage and it's idling at 27-30c. However, when I run Prime95 for ~5 minutes it gets up to 66c (all temps according to HWMonitor). It doesn't crash, but that's higher then the safe limits provided by AMD. When I play BF3 it only reaches 50-56c.

Am I ok, or do I need a better cooler to make the chip last? There doesn't seem to be a ton of information about these chips.

mkenyon

Banned
I have a quick overclocking question.

I have an FX-8120 and a Rocketfish cooler (it's a rebaged Coolermaster, similar to the 212) with Arctic Silver Ceramique on it. I clocked it up to 4GHz by changing the multiplier on stock voltage and it's idling at 27-30c. However, when I run Prime95 for ~5 minutes it gets up to 66c (all temps according to HWMonitor). It doesn't crash, but that's higher then the safe limits provided by AMD. When I play BF3 it only reaches 50-56c.

Am I ok, or do I need a better cooler to make the chip last? There doesn't seem to be a ton of information about these chips.
I was in disbelief at first, but yeah, it looks like AMD says to not go over 61C. What's your BCLK and multiplier at? AMD is a bit more complex to OC than sandybridge/ivybridge and requires adjusting the BCLK to nail down a more exact OC.

K' Dash

I'm monitoring the CPU and idle temps sit around 30C-35C and GPU sits tight at 33C, this is good, right? I'd hate to take this apart and apply the thermal paste again :-/

K' Dash

The NCIX deals are better, and they usually are.

Idle doesn't mean very much, but yes, that is around normal.

Thank you, last night was nerve wrecking and I don't want to open this machine for some time now, I don't want to stress test where I have it now, is a little enclosed and hot, I'm readying a place for it in my room, more open and cool.

natkingcoleslaw

Neo Member
I'm looking for a PSU for this rig:

Motherboard: ASUS Intel Z77 ATX DDR3 2400 LGA 1155 Motherboard P8Z77-V
CPU : Intel Core i7-2700K / i5-3570K (depending on availability)
GPU : EVGA GeForce GTX670 FTW 2048MB GDDR5 ...etc etc... Graphics Card
RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin
Sound Card : ASUS PCI 5.1 Channel Sound Card XONAR_DG
HDD : WD Caviar Blue 1 TB HDD (WD10EALX)
SDD : SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 128GB SATA III MLC Internal SSD
CPU Heatsink : Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Cooler

Now I believe that a 650W PSU should be more than enough for this setup. These are the PSUs I'm looking at, depending on the availability in my country:

1. Corsair CMPSU - 650 TX V2 UK
2. Seasonic X Series - 80 Plus Gold SS-660KM 660 Watts PSU
3. Corsair HX650 650 Watts PSU

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

lionelhutz

I recently built a new PC and grabbed a GTX 680 for the video card. Is the EVGA Precision software required to get the most out of the card, or can I just use the standard drivers?

sk3tch

I recently built a new PC and grabbed a GTX 680 for the video card. Is the EVGA Precision software required to get the most out of the card, or can I just use the standard drivers?

It's just a good tool for overclocking (if you like) or you can just use it to monitor your card. Also, some of the NVIDIA-specific features can be accessed there (frame rate target, etc.). EVGA OC Scanner is pretty nice, too.

mxgt

Banned

Not required but a very nice tool for OC'ing, monitoring performance, in game OSD, screenshots, etc.

mkenyon

Banned
The 690II is actually $60 after mail-in rebate.
Even better then! Is it the USB 3.0 version?
What was the problem with the agility 3s again? They have a 360GB at NCIX for $200... Is that good or should I wait for sales closer to the holidays?
Not nearly as speedy as most current gen SSDs like the M4 or 830, and OCZ has had some spotty reliability issues with bad support behind it. That being said, you'll *probably* be fine, and the increased speed isn't really that huge.

Even better then! Is it the USB 3.0 version?

Not nearly as speedy as most current gen SSDs like the M4 or 830, and OCZ has had some spotty reliability issues with bad support behind it. That being said, you'll *probably* be fine, and the increased speed isn't really that huge.

Hmm, maybe I'll hold off and see if one of the samsungs get a drop again. :/

K' Dash

Does anyone know why there's overscan only when playing steam games? It seems a problem with ATI cards (mine is a 7850) is there a way to fix this?, I see about the problem on the web but I don't see any solution :-/

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm going to order my case and motherboard today I think. I'm going with kind of a ridiculous build. Especially for a first timer, but I'm really capable with building stuff and like a challenge so I'm more excited than intimidated.

I'm doing a SFF build with the ft03 mini. By all accounts fitting a modern big honking gpu in the thing is the hardest part.

This guy did it. So Im going to, too.

I'm nervous and excited ive been planning to build since like march, I've posted in this thread before. But now with ivy bridge and Kepler, etc. and borderlands2 right around the corner this is my moment.

I'm deciding between the asus Ph877i and the deluxe model.

The deluxe although 80 bucks more has wifi, lots of over locking goodies and USB bios. Over locking is not something I'm concerned with from the get go, especially with such a teeny case. But Im sure down the line once I get settled I'll want to do it.

Any feedback?

mkenyon

Banned
So you are aware, heatpipe videocards like the one in the link get much worse temps when rotated 90 degrees. It limits OC potential quite a bit and makes the system a lot more toasty since all that warm air is on the inside. If you can wait a few weeks, do a pre-order on the Bitfenix Prodigy. The case is objectively better in just about every way.

As far as the motherboards go, go for the deluxe. The VRM daughter board helps a lot for overclocking.

Reposted from WoW thread:

I'm having some really rough performance issues on the WoW beta. Everytime I go outside the framerate drops to around 20 fps and when I start running it gets really choppy, even if noone is around. At major choke points, I get around 5 fps.

I upgraded some of my computer when my last motherboard broke, it's now a quad-core 3.6 GHz with 8 GB RAM. I think the major bottleneck is the graphics card, a 9800 GTX+ from 2008, but Windows claims my harddrive is the weakest point, it's from the original computer setup, a HP desktop from 2007, some Hitachi 500 GB drive. I use an external WD drive for all my media so mostly just Windows and WoW on the main drive. I don't really play much on this computer, but I want to at least run WoW well even in Pandaria.

For a budget of around $200, what's a good way to increase performance? Hopefully one without having to replace the 550W power supply.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
More or less, yeah. OCing is not on my to do list at all. I'm fine running everything stock. I'm also fine with it being warm and loud. I mean just as long as its not so much of a problem I have to worry about stability..

That bitfenix is oogly moogly though. No go.

Edgeward

Does anyone know why there's overscan only when playing steam games? It seems a problem with ATI cards (mine is a 7850) is there a way to fix this?, I see about the problem on the web but I don't see any solution :-/

Are you saying the desktop isnt completely fullscreen? You need to go into the CCC program and do the overscan manually it is somewhere in the desktop properties

mkenyon

Banned
More or less, yeah. OCing is not on my to do list at all. I'm fine running everything stock. I'm also fine with it being warm and loud. I mean just as long as its not so much of a problem I have to worry about stability..

That bitfenix is oogly moogly though. No go.
You're a crazy man.

Check out the SG08 as well. When newcomers say 'I'm fine with running everything stock", it will soon change. Overclocking is not the scary thing it once was and now revolves around two values in BIOS or a GUI in windows.

Ultimately though, I'd really suggest going the mATX route for your first SFF build. ITX boards are really limited in a lot of ways that don't become apparent until after you start bulding it and learn more about what you want out of your system.
For a budget of around $200, what's a good way to increase performance? Hopefully one without having to replace the 550W power supply.
Sounds like there is something going on outside of 'weak performance'. When was the last time you reformatted?

This may be unrelated to this thread, but does anyone know where I can get Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit at a good price? I see them selling for at least $150.
$99.

This may be unrelated to this thread, but does anyone know where I can get Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit at a good price? I see them selling for at least $150.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm. Noted.

My thought was to order an i7 and 680 so it'd be fast enough. I mean obviously that will change. But the look/physical manifestation of this machine is just as important as its performance to me. Back in feb/march when I was originally in this thread finding a suitable case was my biggest hurdle. Trust me, I hear you. It's just.. everyone has to make compromises somewhere.

K' Dash

Are you saying the desktop isnt completely fullscreen? You need to go into the CCC program and do the overscan manually it is somewhere in the desktop properties

Not the desktop, Steam games, I already fixed the overscan with the Slider, but when I try to play something on steam BAM! 4 black bars :(, when I return to the desktop everything runs fine again...

mkenyon

Banned
Hmm. Noted.

My thought was to order an i7 and 680 so it'd be fast enough. I mean obviously that will change. But the look/physical manifestation of this machine is just as I portent as its performance to me. Back in feb/march when I was originally in this thread finding a suitable case was my biggest hurdle. Trust me, I hear you. It's just.. everyone has to make compromises somewhere.
i7 = i5 in games. It's the same processor, the only difference is that the i7 fools the OS into thinking it has 8 cores instead of 4. Right now, it's all about having speedy cores. Getting your processor to 4.0 GHz has tremendous impact on performance on a number of titles, most notably UE3 games and Starcraft.

Beyond that, if sound is important to you, the onboard is pretty weak and you'll want to look at an external DAC/Amplifier or external sound card.

At the very least, ensure that you get a standard blower-style reference 680 like the EVGA cards.

Ceebs

Reposted from WoW thread:

I'm having some really rough performance issues on the WoW beta. Everytime I go outside the framerate drops to around 20 fps and when I start running it gets really choppy, even if noone is around. At major choke points, I get around 5 fps.

I upgraded some of my computer when my last motherboard broke, it's now a quad-core 3.6 GHz with 8 GB RAM. I think the major bottleneck is the graphics card, a 9800 GTX+ from 2008, but Windows claims my harddrive is the weakest point, it's from the original computer setup, a HP desktop from 2007, some Hitachi 500 GB drive. I use an external WD drive for all my media so mostly just Windows and WoW on the main drive. I don't really play much on this computer, but I want to at least run WoW well even in Pandaria.

Sounds like the video card. A 8800/9800 is pretty much the bare minimum for most modern games these days.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sorta coming around to that bitfenix case, but it's such a g5 ripoff and it looks cheaply made. Ugh now I'm confuseeeed.
RE:sound I'm probably going to go headphone only so I was looking at something like the astro mix amp.

kharma45

Not the desktop, Steam games, I already fixed the overscan with the Slider, but when I try to play something on steam BAM! 4 black bars :(, when I return to the desktop everything runs fine again...

Have you tried running anything like the Heaven benchmark to see if when the GPU is pushed it has problems with it?

What drivers are you using?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I have senny 595s. If I were to plug the mixamp into the optical jack I wouldn't get any of the onboard distortion you see with analogue hookups, right?

I just was really tied to that micro tower case. And it was gonna go perfectly with my monitor, but that prodigy case seems like its a lot easier to work with and more conducive to tinkering.

Edgeward

Might want to try uninstall the drivers, reset, install drivers, reset and then try again.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah I have senny 595s. If I were to plug the mixamp into the optical jack I wouldn't get any of the onboard distortion you see with analogue hookups, right?

I just was really tied to that micro tower case. And it was gonna go perfectly with my monitor, but that prodigy case seems like its a lot easier to work with and more conducive to tinkering.
If you're set on the FT03. get the FT03 (non mini) and a micro ATX motherboard. But again, be sure you have a reference style 680 to go with it because of the orientation. Check this out if you're unclear with what I mean by reference.

As to the question about distortion, I'm not certain at all.

K' Dash

Have you tried running anything like the Heaven benchmark to see if when the GPU is pushed it has problems with it?

What drivers are you using?

Nope, I just ran non Steam Amnesia and it doesn't have overscan, when I launch Steam Amnesia there's overscan, it's something with Steam

mkenyon

Banned
BenQ XL2420T is the best out there currently. ASUS VG236H (I think?) is a good budget pick. Samsung S23A700/750/950 seems to have the best picture quality at the expense of crappy stands, gloss screen, and more input lag. I have the S23A750D, and while I love it, I'd still prefer the BenQ which I've used a number of times.

Hmmm, if I'm going to go through with reformatting I might as well get me a brand new drive. Is it better to wipe everything and do a full reinstall or just restore a backup from another drive? Also, SSD prices are still a bit crazy, but maybe if I slim down what I have on C: I can make it fit.

What's a good graphics card to give me a decent boost to what I have, without being unnecessarily powerful and expensive?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I know of that case, it's sorta too big. That prodigy case takes too many design cues from apple. It's embarassing.

Maybe i just get one of those weird open skeleton cases. I hate being picky.

kharma45

Nope, I just ran non Steam Amnesia and it doesn't have overscan, when I launch Steam Amnesia there's overscan, it's something with Steam

Are you connecting through HDMI? Switching to DVI apparently fixes it.

You could try new drivers too, although the best one to use is trial and error at the minute.

diamount

Banned
BenQ XL2420T is the best out there currently. ASUS VG236H (I think?) is a good budget pick. Samsung S23A700/750/950 seems to have the best picture quality at the expense of crappy stands, gloss screen, and more input lag. I have the S23A750D, and while I love it, I'd still prefer the BenQ which I've used a number of times.

Would you say the input lag was noticeable when comparing the two?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom