• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mangotron

I was in disbelief at first, but yeah, it looks like AMD says to not go over 61C. What's your BCLK and multiplier at? AMD is a bit more complex to OC than sandybridge/ivybridge and requires adjusting the BCLK to nail down a more exact OC.

Clock is at 200Mhz, voltage is 1.225 and a 20x multiplier. It seems completely stable, and the 50-55c that it runs at for games is below the limits. P95 is just scaring me a bit because I do re-encode movies and stuff that would push the core usage up.

Is it possible that the thermal paste would cause it? I was assuming it would idle hotter if that was the case.

I'm not really sure if 61c is the hard limit either, there seems to be some suspicion that the actual limit is 70c, which would be more in line with what I get at 100% load.

mkenyon

Banned
Would you say the input lag was noticeable when comparing the two?
I don't want to sound like that guy, but I'll do it anyway. I play FPS games very seriously, competitively for money. I do notice the input lag, but I don't think it's something that even 99% of users would notice. Also, so you know, S23A700D and 950D is dual link DVI only, 750D is displayport only for 120hz. They're all the same panel though.
Clock is at 200Mhz, voltage is 1.225 and a 20x multiplier. It seems completely stable, and the 50-55c that it runs at for games is below the limits. P95 is just scaring me a bit because I do re-encode movies and stuff that would push the core usage up.

Is it possible that the thermal paste would cause it? I was assuming it would idle hotter if that was the case.

I'm not really sure if 61c is the hard limit either, there seems to be some suspicion that the actual limit is 70c, which would be more in line with what I get at 100% load.
You could try remounting it. If you dont mind spending a few dollars, the Phobya HeGrease outperforms everything even with non-optimal mounting. You can find it at Frozen CPU or Performance PC's. Otherwise you could look into a better cooler as well. Bulldozer is hot and power hungry.
Yeah I know of that case, it's sorta too big. That prodigy case takes too many design cues from apple. It's embarassing.

Maybe i just get one of those weird open skeleton cases. I hate being picky.
So you know, Lian Li makes most of the Apple Cases :p

BitFenix is certainly guilty of taking a lot of design cues from Lian Li. Probably why I like them so much.

diamount

Banned
I don't want to sound like that guy, but I'll do it anyway. I play FPS games very seriously, competitively for money. I do notice the input lag, but I don't think it's something that even 99% of users would notice. Also, so you know, S23A700D and 950D is dual link DVI only, 750D is displayport only for 120hz. They're all the same panel though.

Are the complains about the benq's colour justified though?

mkenyon

Banned
There aren't complaints. It's more a lack of positive remarks compared to the Samsung, if that makes sense.

I'm not a huge IQ guy, and outside of the gloss screen which makes things look sharper, I couldn't tell a difference.

diamount

Banned
There aren't complaints. It's more a lack of positive remarks compared to the Samsung, if that makes sense.

I'm not a huge IQ guy, and outside of the gloss screen which makes things look sharper, I couldn't tell a difference.

Argh, really hard choice. I like glossy screens but I'm also a hardcore gamer, don't play for money but it's what I spend my free time on.

Ceebs

Just some more general bitching about shipping. This is what my box from Newegg showed up looking like:

17em4f.jpg

2s8k48.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
I'd go for the BenQ. The stand alone is worth it, and the Samsung's don't have vesa mounts.

If you have other ways of adjusting monitor height, and have an NVIDIA card, the S23A700D is a hard part to pass up on though.

*edit*
Holy crap at the pic above. I've never seen anything like that.

K' Dash

Are you connecting through HDMI? Switching to DVI apparently fixes it.

You could try new drivers too, although the best one to use is trial and error at the minute.

I think I fixed it, now only braid is running with those black borders, Amnesia is fullscreen now, not that I have many games to test, right now I only have the last Humble Bundle, I'm downloading Trine 2 Demo and see where i goes.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a relatively inexpensive VESA mount replacement for a monitor? I have a 23inch IPS screen that doesnt have height adjustment or anything and would love to attach it to a normal stand. Thanks!

All the stuffs packaging inside seems undamaged, but I would not be shocked if something has to be RMA's now.

When I got my 670GTX in yesterday, it looked like someone had given the box a swift kick. I always seem to have that gripe with UPS. FedEx seems to always get me my packages in much better condition, but they are expensive.

Speaking of my 670GTX, I seem to be having problems outputting DTS to my receiver. All I get is static. Anyone know of any solutions? I know my receiver can decode DTS, but I wouldn’t be opposed to just having the computer decode it and output PCM if that is possible.

kharma45

I think I fixed it, now only braid is running with those black borders, Amnesia is fullscreen now, not that I have many games to test, right now I only have the last Humble Bundle, I'm downloading Trine 2 Demo and see where i goes.

Braid I think has borders as part of its design from my memory of playing it on my laptop.

Let me know what Trine turns out like, hopefully it's sorted now for you.

Looked into OCing the card yet?

Eiolon

Just some more general bitching about shipping. This is what my box from Newegg showed up looking like:

17em4f.jpg

2s8k48.jpg

That sucks. My brother used to work for DHL at the airport. He said their internal motto was "If it's not broken by the time it gets to us, it's broken by the time it leaves us." Highly doubt it was NewEgg that did it.

Ceebs

Any decent recommended Blu Ray drives in the $50-60 dollar mark?
I just installed this one and watched a bit of Speed Racer. (mainly to check out the colors on this new monitor)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135247

Be warned, buying the OEM ones means no Blu-Ray software, and I am not sure how legit the method I used to get VLC to play it was. (But honestly, I don't give a shit. I own the movie so I am going to watch it however I can)

Well my G11 keyboard died tonight after I accidentally knocked a quarter can of coke zero onto it. I popped off all the keys and cleaned it up, but when I plugged it back in I am getting gibberish on some of the keys. The up key, for instance, cycles through Num Lock and Scroll Lock.

Anyway, are there any comparable keyboards to the G11 that you guys recommend?

mkenyon

Banned
Well my G11 keyboard died tonight after I accidentally knocked a quarter can of coke zero onto it. I popped off all the keys and cleaned it up, but when I plugged it back in I am getting gibberish on some of the keys. The up key, for instance, cycles through Num Lock and Scroll Lock.

Anyway, are there any comparable keyboards to the G11 that you guys recommend?
Corsair K90 has a full set of macro keys, but is a bit pricey at $130.

k90_povh_us_lit.png

CM Storm Trigger comes with delicious MX Browns and has a single row of macro keys

contentteller.php

CM Storm Quickfire is a tenkeyless keyboard, and very high quality. Can order it with a range of MX keys including blues, blacks, and browns.

Cooler-Master-CM-Storm-QuickFire-Rapid.jpg

Personal choice would be the last one as I like my arms closer together when gaming. Not much MMO stuff going on so those macro keys are pretty much useless to me.

I didn't use the macro keys at all after I stopped playing MMOs a few years ago. I'd like one where the media keys and volume are separate and don't require a function key.

I've bought enough that I want to start ripping stuff for convenience. I hope they've started to drop finally.

Yeah they are pointless. Hell DVD drives almost are, but for 20 bucks for drivers discs might as well keep one of those.

I remember when I built PC's with floppy disc drives...or the hard disks, whatever they were called, 3.5" or something.

Ceebs

I've bought enough that I want to start ripping stuff for convenience. I hope they've started to drop finally.

That is my plan. I also like watching movies at my desk from time to time. Waiting until HDD prices come back down a bit more though before I start ripping. I want to store the full 20 gig uncompressed video files.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
mkenyon said:
So you know, Lian Li makes most of the Apple Cases :p
Wait, Lian Li manufactures the MacPro cases? Interesting, but they still don't design them.

Idk, those fin/handles just aren't doing it for me. I've been researching around to water cooling for the CPU onthe ft03 mini, and it's a little restrictive because there's only room or a 1inch thick radiator at the bottom of the case. Supposedly you could make more room by trimming off this mounting bracket for the optical bay, but I don't want to do that. The ft03 is about as close to a featureless inoffensive monolith ad you can get.

Your point about the i5/i7 is interesting. I'm pretty sure the ones I looking at the i7 had a bigger cache. Getting to 4ghz does have a certain appeal though, I had not really considered that. I got your pm, I appreciate the help. Ill check out the links when I get home from work.

mkenyon

Banned
I can't decide which PC case to buy. I want something in the $150 range, with USB 3.0 ports on the front panel preferred.
BitFenix Shinobi XL, Lian Li PC 90 (on sale at the egg right now), NZXT Switch 810, Fractal Arc Midi, Coolermaster Storm Trooper, Silverstone TJ-04, Coolermaster 690II Advanced are all of the best choices in that range.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So I'm now running an i5-3570k instead of an i7-930 and the improvements are interesting.

In the past upgrades typically resulted in pretty obvious improvements, but this time, what I'm seeing is actually just as compelling but much more subtle. Basically, most of the rough spots encountered in games are smoothed out.

Take Need for Speed Hot Pursuit. On the older i7 + GTX580 I was seeing 60 fps a good 95% of the time but there were still plenty of courses and turns in which you would briefly see the framerate dip. It was nothing too severe and most people wouldn't complain but it always bothered me. Using the same video card with the 3570k, however, completely eliminates these hitches that I previous experienced. I also find that I can use 4x SGSSAA + FXAA for no penalty. It's very impressive.

Sonic Generations was another interesting one. It ran at a near flawless 60 fps previously, but I always had issues with the Chemical Plant Zone (particularly around water) where you'd see serious drops for a short period of time. Those issues are now eliminated on the new CPU.

I'm finding this to be the case across pretty much all games. Spots that used to hitch up or drop frames previously no longer do so resulting in a more consistent experience.

There are still some exceptions, though. I continue to be amazed at how poorly optimized Splinter Cell Conviction truly is. I have a fondness for the game for some reason but, man, does it run poorly. It's based on some permutation of Unreal Engine 2, I believe, and has a number of newer features implemented but it's limited to smaller levels and is only striking as a result of its art design. So, even on this setup, I STILL cannot hold 60 fps. It's close now, but there are plenty of instances where it drops well below 60. I simply cannot believe how poorly optimized the game is. Also, I cannot even use the 30 fps limit (1/2 v-sync) as that results in super lengthy loading times (which happens with a select few games including Skryim when this feature is enabled). Of course, the XBOX360 version is even more of a mess with constant slowdown, tearing, and a low resolution. The game was just very poorly coded. All of the features they bolted onto UE2 just don't operate smoothly.

Overall, though, I'm really enjoying the upgrade.

I wonder why that promotion is Sandy Bridge only.

My Crossover 27Q shipped last night. Accessorieswhole has been awesome so far.
they even offered me a small discount

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I thought with sgssaa you had to pair it with msaa? 4x msaa + 4x sgssaa for example.
Correct. You used 4x MSAA + 4x SGSSAA + FXAA. When you combine all three the result is a perfectly smooth image. FXAA actually really DOES help here.

Smokey

Correct. You used 4x MSAA + 4x SGSSAA + FXAA. When you combine all three the result is a perfectly smooth image. FXAA actually really DOES help here.

I was playing hot pursuit past few days so ill have to try this and was messing with all kinds of AA in inspector. Since we are talking about that game is using msaa+ssaa redundant?

Sethos

Banned
Corsair K90 has a full set of macro keys, but is a bit pricey at $130.

k90_povh_us_lit.png

Do NOT buy this shit, they have a massive issue with their firmware where keys get "stuck", especially the backspace key. So it'll just start erasing all the shit you just wrote, it'll hold down modifier keys ( Shift, Alt etc. ) out of the blue and it has made me rage so bad.

Still no ETA on the firmware fix.

Ceebs

I wonder why that promotion is Sandy Bridge only.

My Crossover 27Q shipped last night. Accessorieswhole has been awesome so far.
they even offered me a small discount

I will go ahead and warn you...Drop the brightness way down when you first get it until you get used to the screen a bit. I dropped it 3 notches to match a calibrated color profile and even that ended up giving me a headache on the first day. Out of the box it's like staring at the sun.

I will go ahead and warn you...Drop the brightness way down when you first get it until you get used to the screen a bit. I dropped it 3 notches to match a calibrated color profile and even that ended up giving me a headache on the first day. Out of the box it's like staring at the sun.

Cool. It will probably be even more so for me because I'm coming from a 6 year old MacBook. I have to order all my other parts this weekend.

Coldsnap

I still havn't tried to set up 4:4:4 Chroma on my new LG display that's about 3 months old. It just seems like so much of a hassle and I cant understand 90% of the steps.

Graafke

I was planning to buy an ASUS GTX670-DC2T-2GD5 but it is out of stock everywhere in The Netherlands with no clear sign when they'll be available again. Are these cards that scarce?

Anyway, I'm contemplating if I should just wait for it to be in stock or should I go with the non-TOP version? Alternatively, I could also buy an EVGA Geforce GTX 670 FTW. Is the difference with these video cards in performance substantial in games? Or does anyone have a better suggestion?

Some friends recommended a GeForce GTX 560, so I might go with that and a SSD of a suitable size. Now I just need to figure out how much I need to keep on C:.

abunai

I was planning to buy an ASUS GTX670-DC2T-2GD5 but it is out of stock everywhere in The Netherlands with no clear sign when they'll be available again. Are these cards that scarce?

Anyway, I'm contemplating if I should just wait for it to be in stock or should I go with the non-TOP version? Alternatively, I could also buy an EVGA Geforce GTX 670 FTW. Is the difference with these video cards in performance substantial in games? Or does anyone have a better suggestion?

The TOP version has been known to cause crashes/bsod when boost kicks in, but there's not a whole load of people saying it. Probably just an unlucky minority on the internet. You can always overclock the non-TOP version manually. The EVGA GTX 670 FTW has essentially the same performance as the Asus cards, give or take 1 or 2 fps in each direction. The fan on the FTW is louder though, noticeably so but not to a huge degree.

Ceebs

Cool. It will probably be even more so for me because I'm coming from a 6 year old MacBook. I have to order all my other parts this weekend.

Yeah like I said I went from an ancient (I bought it in like 2004) 19" LCD to this. It was jarring to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom