• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey

Maybe mkenyon can speak to this but I read the review of the shinobi xl on guru3d and they hated it. Talked about how noisy it was, airflow not good, and a general disappointment from their smaller offerings. Unless you plan to put it under water, they didn't recommend it.

With regards to the h100..if you don't use the stock corsair fans that come with it, your fans will run at max when they are plugged into the h100 fan controller. There are 3 different modes you can pick on the fan controller for fan speed. Quiet, normal, and performance. I leave mine at normal. Can be a bit noisey, but I'm using some cheap coolermaster fans that I picked up a while ago for a push setup.

I'm using the corsair 500r and it fits the h100 perfectly. The 600t looks nice too. Always liked its asthetics.

Sethos

Banned
I can have the case and fan by tomorrow if I order within the next 2 hours, so now I'm just shooting questions. So anything besides stock H100 fans will just run at 100%? Also, I need to buy to separate fans to get a push pull setup going? So if I picked up the H100 and perhaps two white Arctic fans for pulling ( or pushing ) I should be set?

Smokey

I can have the case and fan by tomorrow if I order within the next 2 hours, so now I'm just shooting questions. So anything besides stock H100 fans will just run at 100%? Also, I need to buy to separate fans to get a push pull setup going? So if I picked up the H100 and perhaps two white Arctic fans for pulling ( or pushing ) I should be set?

Correct. It only comes with two fans so you'll need to pick up a couple more if you want push/pull. Honestly though the difference between that and a push setup is only a few degrees, but you will get more noise due to 2 fans vs. 4. Then you'll need to get 8 more long screws that similar to the ones that come with the H100 (if you get two more fans for push/pull).

DSC_0843.jpg

You press that button to change your fan speed. There are 4 fan headers on there where you can place your push/pull config.

Sethos

Banned
Okay, guess I won't bother with 4 fans, not a big fan of noise. Any reason why other fans can't be controlled, proprietary fan control system? Guessing it's not your ordinary 3 or 4 pin fans?

Smokey

Okay, guess I won't bother with 4 fans, not a big fan of noise. Any reason why other fans can't be controlled, proprietary fan control system? Guessing it's not your ordinary 3 or 4 pin fans?

Yeah I belive it's something along those lines. If you head to the cooling forum on corsair's website there's some threads over there that talk about it. Might help to take a look over there anyway just to be aware of some of the potential issues that others are having. You don't have to use the fan control on the pump, there's ways around it. I just plug them in there since it's convienent to me, and the noise doesn't bother me all that much.

I've had mine for months and have not had any issues, and I recommend it if one has the room for it. If you do get it just a heads up it can be a PITA to install if you don't have another set of hands.

Sethos

Banned
Thanks man, appreciate the quick response. Guess I'll put in an order for the H100 and the 600T SE, see how it goes. Hopefully I'll actually get some colour scheming going this time, white exterior, black interior broken up by the red motherboard connectors and RAM. *Crosses fingers that it looks decent*

mkenyon

Banned
600T is kind of a bad case. I just switched out of mine into a Shinobi XL.

No Push/Pull, the top mounting isn't offset. It can fit EATX motherboards, but no more than your standard 7 expansion slot layouts. No XL-ATX at all, as it is still technically a mid-tower.

The fan controller is a pile of crap and goes bad on seemingly half the cases they sell. I've gone through three of them (two for me, one for friend) and the only fan controller that didn't bust was my recent one because I removed it.

In addition to that, the fan situation is sub-optimal and nearly forces a negative pressure setup if you want to work with thermodynamics.

My 'short list' of great high end cases:
Shinobi XL
Switch 810
Lian Li V750
Lian Li X900
Lian Li X2000
Cubitek Magicube AIO
Lian Li PC-90 (would require a bit of dremel work to mount H100)
Silverstone TJ04

The FT-04 and RV-04 are coming out soon and look promising as well. Then there's always the Arc Midi.

WIP pic of my Shinobi XL so far:
poNEol.jpg

K' Dash

are there any disadvantages of having my 7850 OC'd permanently and not only when playing games?

GPU 1175
Mem Clock 1325
Volt 1180

mkenyon

Banned
I read that the XL isn't all that good unless you are putting it under water. Care to elaborate or disagree?
Ridiculous options for fans everywhere and anywhere with a ton of room for any air coolers. The stock fans aren't great, but I've never met a case that had great stock fans. They're at least quiet.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm buying motherboard and ram today. I'm going to get the deluxe miniITX asus board. Any specific recommendation on ram or should I just find what looks like the best. Im doing two 8 gig dimms.

Sethos

Banned
600T is kind of a bad case. I just switched out of mine into a Shinobi XL.

No Push/Pull, the top mounting isn't offset. It can fit EATX motherboards, but no more than your standard 7 expansion slot layouts. No XL-ATX at all, as it is still technically a mid-tower.

The fan controller is a pile of crap and goes bad on seemingly half the cases they sell. I've gone through three of them (two for me, one for friend) and the only fan controller that didn't bust was my recent one because I removed it.

In addition to that, the fan situation is sub-optimal and nearly forces a negative pressure setup if you want to work with thermodynamics.

My 'short list' of great high end cases:
Shinobi XL
Switch 810
Lian Li V750
Lian Li X900
Lian Li X2000
Cubitek Magicube AIO
Lian Li PC-90 (would require a bit of dremel work to mount H100)
Silverstone TJ04

The FT-04 and RV-04 are coming out soon and look promising as well. Then there's always the Arc Midi.

WIP pic of my Shinobi XL so far:

I think you may be confusing it with the old 600T. I ordered the SE, which is a newer revision as far as I read that cleaned up a lot of the issues. I did read the lukewarm reviews on the 600T but the SE got the highest scores for a case I've seen around the regular sites I visit. The other white cases I considered is basically the Switch, I've heard too many bad things about the Shinobi - The Switch design just doesn't appeal to me, I need something a tad less downplayed. Maybe you are basing all your 600T information off the SE I don't know but as much as I appreciate your opinion, the reviews pulled me a bit more after all :)

On another note, just started a little project of painting the gold-ish midpiece on my Palits white. One went perfect, the other went to shit, paint started peeling, dripping and got some on the cover that I tried to remove with acetone that instead started to ruin the black paint underneath ... Thank god that was the side pointing inwards :p

Well, in any case ( no pun ) with the 600T, I can always send it back if I have any problems with it. I just like the design too much and there's too many good reviews for me to pass it up.

mkenyon

Banned
I am not, all three 600T's I've had are the SE.

Take a gander around OCN. The quality control for Corsair is getting worse and worse. Out of the three 600T's I've received, two had serious paint flaws, one had a misaligned panel, and two had a faulty fan controller. One failed when I was at PDXLAN and caused my entire rig to shutoff while in the middle of a tournament.

Since you're going ahead with it, protips on how to make it a better case:

1) Replace all stock fans, they're rubbish.
2) Don't use the fan controller.
3) Remove the front and top panel, remove mesh from panels, then cut off all of the plastic support braces. They severely limit airflow and create quite a bit of turbulence/noise. The sound difference is ridiculous with them gone.
4) If you want positive pressure, you *have* to use the side panel with fans or set up the top for intake.
5) You can mount the H100 to be push/exhaust if you dremel a decent sized hole towards the front of the top grill in which the H100 can fit through. Otherwise, you are stuck with pull/exhaust or push/intake. Neither is optimal for the rest of the system.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member

Sethos

Banned
I am not, all three 600T's I've had are the SE.

Oh okay. It's not that I don't trust your opinion mate, this time I just go with the majority reviews that are extremely positive. If it turns out to be yet another dud, I will be your servant for a week.

mkenyon

Banned
Oh okay. It's not that I don't trust your opinion mate, this time I just go with the majority reviews that are extremely positive. If it turns out to be yet another dud, I will be your servant for a week.
I hear you. It's just one of those cases that dazzles you at first, and then the little issues start to get more and more bothersome. Pretty much exactly like your experience with the CM CosmosII that I warned you about :p

The build so far. Everything else but the video card (GTX 670 Asus DC2T - out of stock) will be arriving Monday. Feels so good to build a PC again. It has been far too long. OCD cable management will be the task of the day. Must resist buying Bitfenix sleeved cables for everything.

Pardon the shitty pic.
qXn75l.jpg

DSmalls84

Anyone have any recommendations for solid monitors that aren't super expensive? I use my pc hooked up to my samsung 46 inch tv at the moment, but i'm looking at getting a desk set up soon.

longdi

Banned
silverstone rv02 is best air cooling casing for budget build. the cable management is great with all coming from one exit...but the back panel access is fucked...haha

I have a cheaper HDTV PC that I just upgraded with an AMD FX 6200 from a Phenom 2.

It works great and performs well, the only problem is that it is loud as hell and the fan is consantly on high when playing games.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a good cheap alternative to keeping it cool/quite? I dont want to spend a ton. This is just a second PC in a cheap case that I only use on occasion.

Anyone got any overclocking guides they recommend?

I'm getting all my parts pretty soon, and this will be my first time overclocking my processor.

SPEA

Hey friends. I need some help.

I have a relatively new Laptop. Its the Samsung Series 7 NP700Z5A.

The problem is that it runs kinda slow. Internet browsing is slow and choppy (I've tried multiple browsers) and general software use is not as quick as it should be (audio/video editing, iTunes, Windows mail etc.). Basic Windows file management seems to be pretty quick but that's pretty much it. Even as I write this post the letters are appearing a split second after I hit the key.

My question is, could someone maybe steer me in a direction that could help me solve these issues? Thanks in advance guys!

mkenyon

Banned
Anyone got any overclocking guides they recommend?

I'm getting all my parts pretty soon, and this will be my first time overclocking my processor.

Second link in OP.

My question is, could someone maybe steer me in a direction that could help me solve these issues? Thanks in advance guys!
Check out the Laptop GAF thread, first link in OP.

Initial ideas:
Certain all of your drivers are installed?
Run windows update?
Make sure your graphics drivers/display drivers are up to date?

SPEA

Second link in OP.

Check out the Laptop GAF thread, first link in OP.

Initial ideas:
Certain all of your drivers are installed?
Run windows update?
Make sure your graphics drivers/display drivers are up to date?

Ah thanks. Didn't see the laptop thread link.

In regard to the ideas. Everything seems to be as it should. Drivers and windows all up to date.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
EG Are you looking for a low profile heatsink?
So is there going to be an appreciable difference between this ram

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233299

And this ram

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233280

Those heat sinks on the first one are hideous and I'd like to avoid them, but if there is a performance benefit I can deal. What would you guys do?

I can see the timing is different on the compare page but I'm not quite that literate to understand exactly how it will affect performance.
No

n0n44m

Anyone know of a good card that adds more SATA slots? I'm looking to maybe add 4-6 more SATA HDDs into my machine

like a simple card just with extra ports or a specialized RAID controller card? plenty of both out there I guess ... Highpoint and Promise should have something affordable usually :)

My amateur paint job of the Palit, well one of them

looks good :) can't you just sand the other down and try painting it again?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

almost there, should be done by the end of the weekend :)

2012-07-0622.07.07cfly0.jpg

Smokey

like a simple card just with extra ports or a specialized RAID controller card? plenty of both out there I guess ... Highpoint and Promise should have something affordable usually :)

looks good :) can't you just sand the other down and try painting it again?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

almost there, should be done by the end of the weekend :)

2012-07-0622.07.07cfly0.jpg

Unless I'm mistaken...you're WC the motherboard too? Why?

n0n44m

Unless I'm mistaken...you're WC the motherboard too? Why?

only 1 (intake fan) ... RAM doesn't get hot but motherboard VRMs do when overclocked to 4.8~5.0 GHz ;)

I have a cheaper HDTV PC that I just upgraded with an AMD FX 6200 from a Phenom 2.

It works great and performs well, the only problem is that it is loud as hell and the fan is consantly on high when playing games.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a good cheap alternative to keeping it cool/quite? I dont want to spend a ton. This is just a second PC in a cheap case that I only use on occasion.

the stock fan/heatsink on an Athlon II X4 is pretty silent once you enable fan management in the bios. The FX6200 probably gets hotter though :p

if the heatsink is correctly installed and enabling fan management in the bios doesn't help to get it more quiet when gaming, either the airflow in the case is terrible or you'll want to pick up a better cooler like the CM212+

is it in an HTPC case or something?

Hey guys, got all my parts and I'm in the middle of testing my motherboard. While plugging the psu into the mobo, I realized the mobo has a 4 pin connector for the cpu cable, and the power supply has 6 and 8 pin connectors only. What do I do? Do I need to order a different psu or can I somehow make this one work?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Need advice.

I'm about to pull the trigger on this: http://www.amazon.com/VisionTek-Products-Express-Graphics-900505/dp/B007KJ1URG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1341610906&sr=8-4&keywords=7850

Seems like the 7850s have been the same price since release. What do you think the chances are of this dropping in price within the next month or so?
If nvidia launches the 660 in the next month it's possible, but there's no competition right now. Not sure of the 660 price point probably will be a 660 and ti. Id buy a used 570 or something.
Hey guys, got all my parts and I'm in the middle of testing my motherboard. While plugging the psu into the mobo, I realized the mobo has a 4 pin connector for the cpu cable, and the power supply has 6 and 8 pin connectors only. What do I do? Do I need to order a different psu or can I somehow make this one work?
The 8 pin power splits into 2

dantehemi

So I'm finally ready to take the plunge and join the master race lol. Up till now I have only had a old MacBook and currently I'm using a iPad to do most of my surfing. I have read the op and it's great and full of info, but I have to admit most of it is jiberish to me :)

I'm currently in the process of reading through the thread, but I find most of it overwhelming.

I'll give you some info.
-I game mostly on consoles, and I see my self still staying with console for the majority of my gaming (for now)
-I really want to play the popular titles on my new pc, diablo 3, Starcraft 2, civ 5, probably a bunch of strategy games and the like, and of course take advantage of steam sales.
-I want my pc to be my main media hub (if that makes sense to you) using it for streaming movies, music and holding my collection of both.
-I won't be using business style applications or using it for work.
-I want the games to run the best they could for the cheapest I can get, sounds cheap but money is an issue.
- All in all it will be a gaming pc and media player.

So my question is. Based on the build list in the op, I love the first 3 options and can move to the 4th option ($940) but from what I described, which system would you guys recommend for a guy on a budget? The first 3 games I'll buy day 1 would be diablo 3, SC2, civ 5 and I would like them to run really well.

Sorry if this sounds newbish, and I'm sure once I get started I won't just stop there, I will learn all I can about the pc lifestyle with the help of pc GAF.

Thanks in advance for your help gaf

iamvin22

Industry Verified
question my wifes mobo is sata 3G/b interface. Her hdd just took a dump. Can I pick up a sata 6G/b interface hdd and her mobo will see it?

only 1 (intake fan) ... RAM doesn't get hot but motherboard VRMs do when overclocked to 4.8~5.0 GHz ;)

the stock fan/heatsink on an Athlon II X4 is pretty silent once you enable fan management in the bios. The FX6200 probably gets hotter though :p

if the heatsink is correctly installed and enabling fan management in the bios doesn't help to get it more quiet when gaming, either the airflow in the case is terrible or you'll want to pick up a better cooler like the CM212+

is it in an HTPC case or something?

No, it's in a regular mid-tower ATX case, though it's a cheap crappy one.

I haven't enabled "fan management," though. I'll check that out in the BIOS and see if it helps.

Thanks.

I need some help been out of the PC business for awhile trying to built a decent computer for school and at least to play most game in high settings. Any advise this is what I currently have looked at.

Intel Core i5-3550 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870
ASRock H77M LGA 1155 Intel H77
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom