• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

turnbuckle

That's because it's not officially out yet :p

Ahh, it was funny how it happened. I grabbed a 560 Ti and asked if I could use their computers to compare it to other GPUs benchmarks before I purchased it. They said sure, and when I and the employee went to the computer the 660 box was sitting right there on the counter not "officially" available for sale for only $10 more. I was kinda excited and impatient so I said screw it, I'll buy the 660 now if you let me, and then left with my new card in hand :p

mkenyon

Banned
Or more like: Best Buy sells 560Tis for $350.

*edit*

Holy shit, was being facetious then I went over to the 660Ti thread. They really are selling for $350.

Thraktor

I'd switch to the following (all prices from NCIX):

ASRock Z77 Pro 3 ATX Motherboard - $109.98 (AR)
Intel Core i5 3570K CPU - $229.99
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD - $119.98
Kingston 2X4GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM - $39.98
ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer - $19.99
MSI GeForce GTX 570 Twinfrozr II GPU - $239.99 (AR)
Bitfenix Merc Alpha Steel Black ATX Mid Tower Case - $34.99

Total: $794.90

Then, as soon as you can save up ~$100, buy this:

Crucial M4 128GB 6Gbps SSD - $109.99

(Or an equivalent from Intel or Samsung)

On the motherboard and processor front, Intel are simply better value for money at the moment unless you're looking at low-end integrated graphics set-ups. The 3570K is a great CPU and will overclock nicely.

For GPUs, I'd advise you switch over to a Nvidia. The 7850 is a great value GPU in its range at the moment for games, but like all AMD cards, it currently isn't supported by Adobe for GPU acceleration for Photoshop. Adobe are planning to bring in support for AMD GPUs at some point, but there's no indication of when that's going to happen, so you're better off just sticking with a nVidia card for the moment. The 570 will give you pretty much the same performance in games as the 7850, but with the benefit of making Photoshop a lot speedier.

I would almost say that an SSD is essential for Photoshop work, but I left it out to fit within the budget constraint (as, unlike going with a cheaper motherboard, CPU or GPU, you can just add an SSD in at a later date). Make sure to get an SSD as soon as you can afford one, though, it'll make a huge difference to Photoshop performance.

As IceIpor points out above, AMD cards are actually supported now in Photoshop CS6. If you do plan on upgrading to CS6, get this 7850 instead of the 570 I referred to above.

Dynamic3

Quick question about networking:

Just got FIOS (30/30 speed), and was told I must use their router as it has some type of link with the TV set top box, however the LAN ports are only 10/100.

So on my iPad over wifi can get better than 30/30 per speedtest, however my PC connected via LAN only gets ~9/8. Am I being limited by the 10/100 ports?

mkenyon

Banned
Quick question about networking:

Just got FIOS (30/30 speed), and was told I must use their router as it has some type of link with the TV set top box, however the LAN ports are only 10/100.

So on my iPad over wifi can get better than 30/30 per speedtest, however my PC connected via LAN only gets ~9/8. Am I being limited by the 10/100 ports?
No. The speedtest apps on iPhones/Smartphones is different though, and can give you incorrect readings.

10/100 means it runs up to 100 but is backwards compatible with 10. So they're 100mbps ports.

You could try a different cable and port, to see if one of those is the culprit.

Below is my build so far. I want a nice gaming machine capable of running modern games at least at 1080p at higher/max settings.

I have two questions, what do I need to do about wifi networking capability and do I need a sound card (I'll mainly use headphones)?

Thanks!

LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 Black 0.8 mm SECC, Plastic + Mesh ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Item #: N82E16811112239

$109.99
1 Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K
Item #: N82E16819115072
$219.99
1 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
Item #: N82E16820231314
$45.99
1 COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7
Item #: N82E16835103065

$29.99
1 CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
Item #: N82E16817139021

$109.99
1 SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 ST2000DL004 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822152245

$119.99
1 ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
Item #: N82E16827135204
$18.99
1 ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Item #: N82E16813131837

$149.99
1 Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
Item #: N82E16835100007

$9.95
1 GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Item #: N82E16814125423
$399.99

1) I mean worse than other motherboards, so it won't be very loud and sound kind of hollow.

2) It won't. Silverstone themselves suggest using those. Quad-core doesn't mean much of anything as most games only use 1-2 cores due to aging engine coding. Frequency is king of everything. You *will* overclock.

3) Good catch! I had never noticed that before!

4) Its not an issue of how they fit, its an issue of orientation and thermodynamics. Heat rises, and the longest part of the heatpipes is vertically below where the GPU is. Non-reference cards in any 90 degree orientation Silverstone case is a no-no (FT02, RV02/03, etc).

If you want less restrictions with a better case in every regard, get the Bitfenix Prodigy. The thing is tiny and weighs very little. You can stick just about any cooler in it, and even use cards as big as the GTX690. I've been playing around with one for the past two weeks working on my own ITX build and I'm absolutely smitten with it. There are so many amazing features on it, especially for the price. Watch this review on it. I can honestly say that in many ways I'm more impressed with it than some $200-$300 cases I've used.

With the handles, it'll be easier to move around than the FT03 mini.

Jesus. You made your point sir.

I watched the entire video review;

1) interesting reviewer.
2) it looks much better in the video than on pictures.
3) it looks like it will be fun to build and not a headache.

but ive never had a radiator or water cooling before. I've only ever used air cooling. water cooling makes me scared and gives me nightmares about leaking.

You say you have been playing around with it? what components do you have in it? do you have any pictures?:)

mkenyon

Banned
No pictures yet. I'm a hobbyist builder, so I always have a few projects going on. This one will have the ASRock Z77, GTX 670, 2500K, NuForce uDAC 2 *internally* mounted on a custom side I/O panel, SSD, some other mods, and fully watercooled. Going to be a centerpiece rig for a few competitions as some guys on my team will be doing the LAN circuit for CS:GO.

The best part about the Prodigy is that you don't have to use a watercooler. You can save a bit of cash and go with the Hyper 212+ or any other air cooler you want. There is a *ton* of room to fit whatever you'd like without increasing the size of the case. The layout is pure genius.
Below is my build so far. I want a nice gaming machine capable of running modern games at least at 1080p at higher/max settings.

I have two questions, what do I need to do about wifi networking capability and do I need a sound card (I'll mainly use headphones)?

Thanks!
Drop the PSU to a 650 if you're planning on SLI, or a BP550 if you aren't. The whole system won't pull more than 380W.

No need for AS5, the paste that comes with the 212 is good. If you do want good paste because you want to shave off every degree that you can, then go with Phobya HeGrease.

Other than that, looks great.

To answer your questions:

1) Add a wifi expansion card if you want, but I'd advise against it if you can avoid it. Zip ties can keep cables completely hidden.

2) Soundcard only if you are an audiophile, or want to take on the extra expense for better sound. Onboard does the job for a majority of people. You could also look at an external DAC.

Czigga

Looking for a recommendation to upgrade my current GPU.

Currently running Intel i7 860 2.8 Ghz (Stock speed no OC), Radeon 4890, 8 Gb Ram.

Was leaning towards Radeon 6850. Currently can get them for around $150. I’d consider $200 if the card was really dominant at that price point.

I just need something to cover me for the next ~2 yrs before I do a full rebuild.

Smurf Yetti

Neo Member
Your Current Specs: None
Budget: $2000/US
Main Use: Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), Video Editing, HD Streaming, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
Monitor Resolution: Looking for Dual Monitors
Looking to reuse any parts?: No
When will you build?: November
Will you be overclocking?: No

mkenyon

Banned
$2000 gives you a lot of overhead if you want to do something special with it. You want a small form factor? 120hz monitor? 1440p monitor?

Otherwise, go with the 'enthusiast' build and a MSI Lightning 680, some 680 with 4GB of memory or Sapphire 7970 Toxic 6GB.

Why are so many newbies reluctant to overclock? It's literally a free upgrade to your pc. If you have a modern intel cpu/mobo, it's the easiest thing ever. I just built my first computer and got +1GHz without even trying.

Salsa

Why are so many newbies reluctant to overclock? It's literally a free upgrade to your pc. If you have a modern intel cpu/mobo, it's the easiest thing ever. I just built my first computer and got +1GHz without even trying.

it's easy but it's not hard to see how people unfamiliar with the hardware might be a bit worried of voiding a warranty so soon

mkenyon

Banned
If you don't know how easy it is, and don't have a lot of experience, then I would assume the automatic answer would be no.

So, to answer your question, I would assume it is because they don't know how easy it is.

mkenyon

Banned
Depends on your budget and what you want out of it. Value in terms of graphical performance is very subjective.

I'd say absolutely, but some people would never consider spending over $300 in the first place.

CatPee

Then, I guess the question is "Is a 670 worth $100 more?" I'm guessing the answer is going to be no?

From what I could tell, 660Ti seems to be slightly above 570 and going into 580 range (I might be wrong though), but at that point of performance you might as well just shoot for a 7850 at ~$250. IIRC, 670 is like a ~25%-30% leap over 570. Me, I'd say the 670 is absolutely worth it, but it's up to you on what kind of performance you deem is worth it.

kharma45

Thanks, looks like I'll go for this then. I'll buy everything that's out now but I'll hold off on the GPU in case the the 660 Ti you mentioned is in budget and better. Thanks again!

No problem. Hopefully some of the stuff I linked will point you in the right-ish direction.

Looking for a recommendation to upgrade my current GPU.

Currently running Intel i7 860 2.8 Ghz (Stock speed no OC), Radeon 4890, 8 Gb Ram.

Was leaning towards Radeon 6850. Currently can get them for around $150. I’d consider $200 if the card was really dominant at that price point.

I just need something to cover me for the next ~2 yrs before I do a full rebuild.

You might just be able to snag a 7850 at that price point ($200) but it wouldn't be one of the customer cooler ones for the crazy overclocks.

Smurf Yetti

Neo Member
$2000 gives you a lot of overhead if you want to do something special with it. You want a small form factor? 120hz monitor? 1440p monitor?

Otherwise, go with the 'enthusiast' build and a MSI Lightning 680, some 680 with 4GB of memory or Sapphire 7970 Toxic 6GB.

CPU: ($340) Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo)
Motherboard:($150) ASUS P8Z77-V
RAM:($92) CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB)
Graphics: ($600) MSI N680GTX Lightning GeForce GTX 680
Storage: ($120) SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 ST2000DL004 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Power Supply: ($145) CMPSU-750HX
Case: ($100) Corsair Carbide Series 400R
Optical Drive: ($50) ASUS Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM
Heatsink: ($35) CoolerMaster 212+ EVO
Sound Card: ($25) ASUS XONAR_DG 5.1
SSD: ($90) Crucial M4 128GB
Monitor: ($320) 2 x ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P

Total: $2067

This leaves me a little overbudget, but should I expect the prices to drop by November? Also, is overclocking recommended and safe? Sorry, this will be the first PC I've ever built.

Thanks guys!

CPU: ($340) Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)
Motherboard:($150) ASUS P8Z77-V
RAM:($92) CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB)
Graphics: ($600) MSI N680GTX Lightning GeForce GTX 680
Storage: ($120) SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 ST2000DL004 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Power Supply: ($145) CMPSU-750HX
Case: ($100) Corsair Carbide Series 400R
Optical Drive: ($50) ASUS Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM
Heatsink: ($35) CoolerMaster 212+ EVO
Sound Card: ($25) ASUS XONAR_DG 5.1
SSD: ($90) Crucial M4 128GB
Monitor: ($320) 2 x ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P

This leaves me a little overbudget, but should I expect the prices to drop by November? Also, is overclocking recommended and safe? Sorry, this will be the first PC I've ever built.

Thanks guys!

Very sweet build. Overclocking is very safe. I'm not super up to date on Ivy Bridge processors but your choice might be overkill. Honestly, if it is, I'd maybe put more money toward your case, but I really like the upper scale cases.

All in all, great build!

mkenyon

Banned
Can GAF recommend a decently priced Gaming mouse?
CM Storm Xornet. I'm using it right now, and I love it.
(Snip big list)

Thanks guys!
3930K offers no gaming benefits over the 3770K, and the 3770K offers no benefits over the 3570K. The 3770K has a single unique feature over the 3570K that makes me think it's worth it for some future insurance, considering your budget.

Also, 3930K isn't compatible with the motherboard you've chosen.

For monitors, take a gander at the Samsung S23A750D and BenQ XL2420T. 120hz is next gen now.

On the case side of things, check out the Fractal Arc Midi, Define R4, Bitfenix Shinobi XL, CM Storm Stryker/Trooper, and NZXT Switch 810.

Smurf Yetti

Neo Member

3930K offers no gaming benefits over the 3770K, and the 3770K offers no benefits over the 3570K. The 3770K has a single unique feature over the 3570K that makes me think it's worth it for some future insurance, considering your budget.

For monitors, take a gander at the Samsung S23A750D and BenQ XL2420T. 120hz is next gen now.

On the case side of things, check out the Fractal Arc Midi, Define R4, Bitfenix Shinobi XL, CM Storm Stryker/Trooper, and NZXT Switch 810.

I actually linked to the 3770K but typed it incorrectly...my bad. Anyway, I'll check out some of those monitors and towers you recommended. I'll post again in November to see if everything is still looking good and what upgrades I can make before I buy the parts. Thanks for the help!

Oxn

so im considering on of these qhd korean 27inch monitors.

there are 3 that i know of

crossover
catleap
achieva

im thinking about the white catleap one. but damm i wish they can do hdmi also. just dvi seems so limiting.

MrBig

so im considering on of these qhd korean 27inch monitors.

there are 3 that i know of

crossover
catleap
achieva

im thinking about the white catleap one. but damm i wish they can do hdmi also. just dvi seems so limiting.

Catleap has a bad stand, fine other than that.

HDMI is just DVI...

Unless you mean multiple inputs, which some models offer at a premium price, and cause significant input lag.

Oxn

Catleap has a bad stand, fine other than that.

HDMI is just DVI...

Unless you mean multiple inputs, which some models offer at a premium price, and cause significant input lag.

no, i want hdmi or multiply inputs so i can hok my hd consoles to it also.

Thraktor

He lists video editing as a use, where a 3930K would be useful.

Smurf Yetti, is video editing something you'll be doing a lot of on the computer, or is it going to be mostly a gaming PC with a little video editing on the side? If the former, then a 3930K and an X79 board might be worth considering.

Smurf Yetti

Neo Member
He lists video editing as a use, where a 3930K would be useful.

Smurf Yetti, is video editing something you'll be doing a lot of on the computer, or is it going to be mostly a gaming PC with a little video editing on the side? If the former, then a 3930K and an X79 board might be worth considering.

It will be a mostly gaming computer. Video editing is just a little fun hobby I do on the side, but nothing serious.

Whooter

So I'm upgrading from a GTX 460 with a budget of about $400. My original intent was to get a GTX 670, but had been holding out to see if the 660Ti would be performance comparable at a lower cost. It looks like that's not going to be the case.

What *is* the best bang-for-buck (Nvidia or AMD) video card at the $400 mark? The Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 is what's currently on my wishlist.

Thraktor

It will be a mostly gaming computer. Video editing is just a little fun hobby I do on the side, but nothing serious.

In that case the set-up you posted above is fine (and still a very capable video-editing machine, I might add).

So I'm upgrading from a GTX 460 with a budget of about $400. My original intent was to get a GTX 670, but had been holding out to see if the 660Ti would be performance comparable at a lower cost. It looks like that's not going to be the case.

What *is* the best bang-for-buck (Nvidia or AMD) video card at the $400 mark? The Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 is what's currently on my wishlist.

A 670 would be the card to go for. I'm sure mkenyon will arrive in no time with a preferred list of non-reference coolers to choose from (which I'm guessing will include the Gigabyte Windforce, the Asus DirectCUII and the MSI Twin Frozr).

I have an evga gtx670 FTW and love it. Quiet, cool, and overclocked amazingly.

mkenyon

Banned

Gigabyte Windforce 670 is indeed the best card at that price.

Though many people don't realize it, the dB scale is algorithmic and not linear.

GTX-670-GB-47.jpg

This means that the 670 FTW (as modeled here by the reference 670/680) is about twice as loud at load. Every 10 dB is double the noise, basically.

For what it's worth though, 7970s are going for under $400 barely used. I basically traded a 580 Lightning Xtreme for a DCII 7970.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me

from what i've seen it seems to be 89-91% of a 670 for $100 less.

mkenyon

Banned
Just cracked open the R4 and got a good look at the case. First impression is that this case is stupid good. I was able to build an R3 system for a friend, but the fit and finish on this is just really something to behold.

To top it off, you get a 12V/7V/5V fan speed selector next to the 5.25" bays, beneath the front door. Brilliant.

It is going to have to disappoint me in a number of ways for it to not be the best case for $100.

I was thinking of making the 690 my next upgrade once it gets down to under $500 but I don't have PCI 3.0. Do I need a new motherboard when I do my next upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom