• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
It has a male and female end so you can daisy chain off of it. Only plug one into your PSU cable.

Thank you very much. You're very helpful, as alaways.
Once that's done I can do a test boot, but I'm a bit scared. I initially used the wrong screws on the motherboard, and one or two of them scratched the mb over the circle. I'm worried that they might have cut some lines on the PCB and that the whole thing will end up malfunctioning.

Crossing my fingers...

Iacobellis

I've been considering upgrading my 460 GTX to a 680 GTX, but am curious what GAF thinks about potential bottle necks in my system.

CPU: Intel i7-860 2.8GHZ (oc to 3.6)
MB: Asus P7P55D EVO
RAM: 8gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600
HD: Intel 320 160gb SSD
PS: Cooler Master Silent Pro M700

When gaming I use either my desktop monitor (1680x1050) or my tv (1080).

A GTX 670 FTW is nearly identical in performance to a 680, but at a $100 less.

cametall

Yep and if your games are mostly steam there is an app that lets you easily move them from one Hard drive to another

Just an FYI, you can use the Steam Mover app on any software, it just defaults to the Steam folder.

Not all software (Steam purchases included) will transfer though. Dead Island on Steam would not work correctly when transferred, however League of Legends (not a Steam program) did work perfectly after being transferred.

Niks

Probably been asked before, but...

what is generally speaking the best(cheapest) months to upgrade hardware?
Im looking a for a big upgrade (mobo, processor, ram, graphic card), but im in no hurry.

nataku

I just ordered a 256GB Samsung 830 SSD for Windows 7 plus games I'm currently playing and other programs I use often. Right now Windows is on a 1TB HDD with a 150GB partition for Windows and programs, then the rest set for games and everything else.

After I install Windows 7 on the SSD is there any way to delete the 150GB partition on the 1TB HDD and then merge it with the other partition without losing my data? I don't care about the Windows install on there obviously, but I have 350GB+ in games on the larger partition in addition to a few hundred GBs of other data I'd rather not have to back up and store on another drive temporarily to format the 1TB HDD into one drive if I can avoid it.

Just an FYI, you can use the Steam Mover app on any software, it just defaults to the Steam folder.

Not all software (Steam purchases included) will transfer though. Dead Island on Steam would not work correctly when transferred, however League of Legends (not a Steam program) did work perfectly after being transferred.

hmm thanks for the info as i thought it was just for steam stuff.

I just ordered a 256GB Samsung 830 SSD for Windows 7 plus games I'm currently playing and other programs I use often. Right now Windows is on a 1TB HDD with a 150GB partition for Windows and programs, then the rest set for games and everything else.

After I install Windows 7 on the SSD is there any way to delete the 150GB partition on the 1TB HDD and then merge it with the other partition without losing my data? I don't care about the Windows install on there obviously, but I have 350GB+ in games on the larger partition in addition to a few hundred GBs of other data I'd rather not have to back up and store on another drive temporarily to format the 1TB HDD into one drive if I can avoid it.

I guess Disk Management will work since you can remove the active partition IIRC but i'm not sure if it can merge it back though (it might stay as free/unused space)

Other members will be better qualified to answer this imo so i would wait some more.

HIS any good?

mkenyon

Banned
Probably been asked before, but...

what is generally speaking the best(cheapest) months to upgrade hardware?
Im looking a for a big upgrade (mobo, processor, ram, graphic card), but im in no hurry.
There aren't any specific months. The best way to go is to buy over the course of a few months when the parts you want go on sale. The downside to this is that you might be beyond the time of being able to return items if something goes wrong.
Ok, think I figured out what I'm getting. Am I going to need to basically reformat my computer when doing the mobo/vcard upgrade?
Yep.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I just finished my build and went for a test boot. Went well, stuff displaying on screen, component fans running, but I realized that I hadn't plugged the chassis fan in, so I shut the computer down.

I then gave it another try. This time, all the fans were working, but I can't get anything to display on my screen (HDMI). I tried rebooting several times, unplugging and plugging back the HDMI cable into the monitor and case, to no avail. It just says there's no signal on the HDMI channel. What gives?

zoku88

I just finished my build and went for a test boot. Went well, stuff displaying on screen, component fans running, but I realized that I hadn't plugged the chassis fan in, so I shut the computer down.

I then gave it another try. This time, all the fans were working, but I can't get anything to display on my screen (HDMI). I tried rebooting several times, unplugging and plugging back the HDMI cable into the monitor and case, to no avail. It just says there's no signal on the HDMI channel. What gives?

Could be a GPU issue.

If you're using a discrete card, try using the HDMI out on your motherboard (if you have one.)

I would also try using a different connection (DVI?) just in case it's some weird HDMI handshake issue,

For those that own GTX 670s, what's the max clock you're getting on OC? I'm getting 1250, beyond which Heaven crashes. I guess my card isn't a total failure, but I was hoping for 1300 like a lot of people seem to be getting, or hoping I won the lottery and got one of the golden cards pushing 1350+.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Could be a GPU issue.

If you're using a discrete card, try using the HDMI out on your motherboard (if you have one.)

I would also try using a different connection (DVI?) just in case it's some weird HDMI handshake issue,

I'm an idiot. I was actually using the port on the mobo. Now that I'm using the port in the GPU it's working fine. Thanks!

Crizume

Neo Member
GB 670 here and can pass 3D mark at 1350+ and Heaven at 1300+.

the 1300+ cards seem to be near the top end and 1200-1300 seems to be the average clocks. A couple unfortunate individuals have gotten worse cards with worse clocks.

If u don't mind flashing the BIOS a user on OCN managed to remove the voltage and throttling limitations and several have seen a boost in their OC's. Although If u have a reference card I wouldn't recommend this. Make sure you have a good cooler.

Monarch

Banned
For those that own GTX 670s, what's the max clock you're getting on OC? I'm getting 1250, beyond which Heaven crashes. I guess my card isn't a total failure, but I was hoping for 1300 like a lot of people seem to be getting, or hoping I won the lottery and got one of the golden cards pushing 1350+.

1260 here. I saw it hit 1308 when working my way up but definitely not stable. I guess I should watercool it to get the most of it.
Asus DC2 btw.

Anson225

Hi everyone, another noob question

How's the difference in performance comparing gt 640 vs gtx 670?
Say in a demanding game like Battlefield 3?

Since there's a great difference in price...

Thank you again!

MrBig

Thank you again!

640 isn't really much of a gaming card, it's mostly for HTPCs/OEMs.

CatPee

Thank you again!

An enormous world of difference. Anything below 660 is pretty much average consumer-grade performance. The difference you're looking at would be being able to run BF3 on Ultra in 1080p with a rock-solid 60fps in most situations with a 670 and running it at Medium in 1280x1024 at ~30fps.

ss_lemonade

Thank you again!
All I know is that the 670 will eat that card alive.

i will give some thoughts into the card... its gonna be the biggest investment of my new PC
If you don't need cutting edge top of the line stuff and want to save some money, I guess the 660 ti makes a good purchase as well. Runs much faster than my gpu which is an AMD 6970, something which can still run a lot of the current games at 1920x1080 max settings.

Should I get the 32 or 64 bit version of Windows 7? I'm on a macbook right now as my main computer and will that prove to be a bit of a problem in the transferring of data because I'm downloading the official image to that computer? I know it probably shouldn't because I've done plenty of file moving with co-workers between the two OSes, I'm just wondering if an OS image is an entirely different animal though.

Monarch

Banned

the 1300+ cards seem to be near the top end and 1200-1300 seems to be the average clocks. A couple unfortunate individuals have gotten worse cards with worse clocks.

If u don't mind flashing the BIOS a user on OCN managed to remove the voltage and throttling limitations and several have seen a boost in their OC's. Although If u have a reference card I wouldn't recommend this. Make sure you have a good cooler.

Care to share ? I want to check this, out of curiosity.

Crizume

Neo Member
Send Link in PM. Again read OP and do at your own discretion since flashing BIOS voids most manufactures warranty's. As you can see from the 100+ pages users have had a lot of succes but to each their own.

Anson225

All I know is that the 670 will eat that card alive.

If you don't need cutting edge top of the line stuff and want to save some money, I guess the 660 ti makes a good purchase as well. Runs much faster than my gpu which is an AMD 6970, something which can still run a lot of the current games at 1920x1080 max settings.

thanks for the advice
I was just looking at the 660ti u mentioned and realised it just came out?!
anyway it seems the list price is gonna be around $300 but people are claiming its performance is very similar to the 670.

Would that be the case? If so then it seems this card can be a viable option

Thank you!

Crizume

Neo Member
It does not perform similar to a 670 at all. At lower resolutions with lower setting yes. At higher resolutions and all setting turned up it falls considerably behind. A few people got them early at best buy and ran some benchmarks.

I have a GB 670 and love it but for the price of 660 I would have to recommend a 7950 Instead for $10 more. Unless you clearly dislike amd.

Artchur

Your Current Specs: AMD Athlon X2 5600 ( 3GB RAM DDR2) / Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4/ 9800 GT / No idea
Budget: $2000 CAD including dual monitors, mech k/b and new mouse
Main Use: Gaming, HD Streaming, school work
Monitor Resolution: Buying new monitors, at least 1080p x 2
Looking to reuse any parts?: Not really
When will you build?: ASAP though I guess I could wait if some pressing reason was there
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, newbie to it though

This is the build i've got picked out so far:

CPU - Intel i5-3570K $219.99
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO $29.99
Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-V $185.99
Memory - Corsair 16GB $91.99
Storage - Samsung 1TB 7200RPM $89.99 / Crucial 128GB SSD $89.99
Video Card - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 $399.98
Case - Corsair 400R $99.99*
Power Supply - Corsair 750W $114.99*
Optical Drive - Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS $19.98
Operating System - Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) $90.86

So, few questions:

1. Anything I pick out too excessive without a corresponding leap in performance?
2. I have a copy of vista on this comp. Would it be easier to upgrade to windows 7 or just purchase a new copy?
3. Is that power supply overkill? I'm wanting to OC the CPU and 670 as much as I can.

Ready to pull the trigger, just want some always comforting internet assurances haha!

mkenyon

Banned
16GB of RAM is a bit too much. 8GB is already overkill.

PSU is a bit high. You should be able to run that system with a decent 550W. Check out the Antec BP550 or any Seasonic 500-600W PSU.

After building in the R4, I can't suggest any other case in the $100 price range. It's simply outstanding. So, I'd swap the case for that if you are a fan of silence.

A new copy would be easier/simpler, but I think the upgrade edition saves you a bit of cash.

Yeah, read about that, might try it out later on.

1260 here. I saw it hit 1308 when working my way up but definitely not stable. I guess I should watercool it to get the most of it.
Asus DC2 btw.

Temperatures are not an issue for me, getting mid-50s C at 60% fan at full OC so its probably an average card.

mkenyon

Banned
Should I get the 32 or 64 bit version of Windows 7? I'm on a macbook right now as my main computer and will that prove to be a bit of a problem in the transferring of data because I'm downloading the official image to that computer? I know it probably shouldn't because I've done plenty of file moving with co-workers between the two OSes, I'm just wondering if an OS image is an entirely different animal though.
64 bit.

Help pls

Respect to the posters and original purpose of this thread but I'm treat it like 'PC tech stupid questions that don't deserve their own thread' thread.

What can my graphics card do?

I want to abuse my work PC to play games on. It's a new build and seems to have promising specs:
64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium
4GB RAM
200+GB HDD
Core i3 CPU 550 @ 3.20 Ghz

The last part concerns my question as I know FA about CPUs these days. Also since I now suspect its responsible for the graphics.

dxdiag says Intel HD graphics with total memory 1755 MB.

Is this good?

What can I run on this machine and is it worth doing? I'd love to play for instance something like Deus Ex IW or maybe GTAIV.

Thanks for any answers.

knitoe

Help pls

Respect to the posters and original purpose of this thread but I'm treat it like 'PC tech stupid questions that don't deserve their own thread' thread.

I want to abuse my work PC to play games on. It's a new build and seems to have promising specs:
4GB RAM
200+GB HDD

The last part concerns my question as I know FA about CPUs these days. Also since I now suspect its responsible for the graphics.

Is this good?

What can I run on this machine and is it worth doing? I'd love to play for instance something like Deus Ex IW or maybe GTAIV.

Thanks for any answers.
Intel HD integrated graphics are crappy. Probably, games on lowest settings. You need to open the computer and see if it has a PCI-e expansion slot for a video card. Even it's a work PC, I wouldn't bet on it.

Artchur

16GB of RAM is a bit too much. 8GB is already overkill.

PSU is a bit high. You should be able to run that system with a decent 550W. Check out the Antec BP550 or any Seasonic 500-600W PSU.

After building in the R4, I can't suggest any other case in the $100 price range. It's simply outstanding. So, I'd swap the case for that if you are a fan of silence.

A new copy would be easier/simpler, but I think the upgrade edition saves you a bit of cash.

Thanks for the advice. Would the extra RAM help at all with streaming media to other places in the house while gaming/etc on the PC?

The R4 looks pretty sweet, but im worried about temps when I start OC'ing. Any experience with the R4 in that regard?

mkenyon

Banned
I'm going to run my R4 through the ringer when I get home tonight, if you can wait until a bit later. Running a 2500K w/ H60, and a 7970DCII. 7970 puts out significantly more heat than a 670. I left it at cable management last night, so didn't get a chance to boot and see what's what.

Extra RAM won't help in the slightest bit for streaming media.

@B-B-Bomba!
It's capable of running some facebook games, and stuff off of GoG.

Intel HD integrated graphics are crappy. Probably, games on lowest settings. You need to open the computer and see if it has a PCI-e expansion slot for a video card. Even it's a work PC, I wouldn't bet on it.

Eh, thanks for the crappy news, guy >: (

nvm you did your best, knitoe

Ledsen

Help pls

4GB RAM
200+GB HDD

Is this good?

Thanks for any answers.

It can't do anything sadly, it's not a discrete but an integrated card. ie it's not meant for playing games.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Help pls

What can my graphics card do? Is this good?

Thanks for any answers.

lol. You can watch Streams of those maybe but all you'll be playing with that machine are flash games, sorry pal.

CatPee

thanks for the advice
I was just looking at the 660ti u mentioned and realised it just came out?!
anyway it seems the list price is gonna be around $300 but people are claiming its performance is very similar to the 670.

Would that be the case? If so then it seems this card can be a viable option

Thank you!

It's not that close. Difference seems to be something like 20% to 25% or so between the 660Ti and 670. I'd say it's absolutely worth it to grab the 670, but it's still up to you whether that extra bump is worth it.

mkenyon

Banned
Whatever you can afford. 6870 is the best in terms of price:performance, but you will continually get better with more expensive video cards. Do you know what kind of powersupply you have?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I suppose no responses to my post mean I should wait for a bigger budget/better availability then, oh well.

I suppose no responses to my post mean I should wait for a bigger budget/better availability then, oh well.

Completely missed your post. I'd recommend going for the Standard build from the OP with a 6870, using any remainder of the budget for either a new monitor or, even better, an SSD to improve general use.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Completely missed your post. I'd recommend going for the Standard build from the OP with a 6870, using any remainder of the budget for either a new monitor or, even better, an SSD to improve general use.
Will that have a huge difference from my current and last adequately for a while (like, UE4 games won't be horrible like Witcher 2 is on my current which I've had since around 2008 outside a GPU upgrade I did because my ATI card got fried so I replaced it?). Also, how come non SSD HDDs aren't any faster than 7200 rpm yet, was there a problem with 10k which I thought would become more prominent, or do they exist but are too expensive? Anyway, going for an i3 or basically anything less than an i7 that I was looking at certainly frees up a lot of the budget for other stuff, I was always starting my base with an i7 which didn't leave much room for anything else because I thought they're necessary so I ended up dropping the idea of a new GPU, monitor, etc.

Also, are i3 i5 and i7 on the same socket and are there more i7s on the horizon or are they about to completely change architecture again? Just asking if I could maybe in a couple years get some considerably better than that CPU without having to change the rest of the rig. Even if it's just about discontinued by then, but maybe the first of the new line of CPUs aren't going to be that much better than the last i7s as long as they're available still, making the investment worth it in that case.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
So I completed my build, but I have two issues:

1) My SSD (Crucial M4 128GB) is recognized, but not my HDD (Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB). However, when I first installed Windows, my HDD WAS recognized. What happened?

2) it takes my computer an awfully long time to boot considering the OS is on the SSD and my SSD-equipped netbooks boots way faster. Additionally, the WEI gives me a 5.9 score for storage, making it the lowest score. among all. What's wrong?

IceIpor

So I completed my build, but I have two issues:

1) My SSD (Crucial M4 128GB) is recognized, but not my HDD (Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB). However, when I first installed Windows, my HDD WAS recognized. What happened?

2) it takes my computer an awfully long time to boot considering the OS is on the SSD and my SSD-equipped netbooks boots way faster. Additionally, the WEI gives me a 5.9 score for storage, making it the lowest score. among all. What's wrong?

1. New drive, right? Probably not formatted yet.

If you're using Windows 7, in the start/search box type "disk management", click the link, and then right-click on the drive that seems to not be allocated yet and set it up.

2. No idea. Looking at your build, it should be fairly speedy. This is a fresh install of Windows, right? And you're sure you installed it on your SSD and not your HDD?
Beyond that, make sure your Windows is fully patched and up to date.

Also, check to make sure your SSD's firmware is up to date.
http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom