• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roe

Your Current Specs: Intel core 2 quad Q6600 2.40 ghz/ 3 gb ddr2) / Motherboard / 8800 GTS Oced / 400 wat psu
Budget: within $1000, USA
Main Use: Image editing 4, Gaming 5, Video Editing 3, web 2, light gaming 1.
Monitor Resolution: Bought a new monitor recently. 1920x1080 max
Rift, Skyrim, Dark Souls, World of Warcraft.
Looking to reuse any parts?: nope
When will you build?: Month or two. Before storm legion (Rift expansion. Rift expansion is more taxing due to better graphics.) Will you be overclocking?: No

Here are the specs for my current computer from the gateway site: http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1014737R/1014737Rsp3.shtml

Thraktor

Your Current Specs: Intel core 2 quad Q6600 2.40 ghz/ 3 gb ddr2) / Motherboard / 8800 GTS Oced / 400 wat psu
Budget: within $1000, USA
Main Use: Image editing 4, Gaming 5, Video Editing 3, web 2, light gaming 1.
Monitor Resolution: Bought a new monitor recently. 1920x1080 max
Rift, Skyrim, Dark Souls, World of Warcraft.
Looking to reuse any parts?: nope
When will you build?: Month or two. Before storm legion (Rift expansion. Rift expansion is more taxing due to better graphics.) Will you be overclocking?: No

Here are the specs for my current computer from the gateway site: http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1014737R/1014737Rsp3.shtml

What can a 1k budget get you (serious post) helping someone.

The build marked "Excellent" in the OP should do both of you. For Roe, I'd advise going up to 16GB of RAM for the photo and video editing.

So I'm kinda torn between the Fractal Arc Midi

s-glam.jpg

and the Fractal Define R4

I'm loving the look of the R4, it is seriously beautiful, but the Arc Midi has better cooling options (sound levels shouldn't be a problem for me) and is a good £20 cheaper (£70 vs £90).

Anyone have any other case recommendation in that price range? Looks aren't the be all and end all, but they do matter. Alternatively, I was also looking at the 400R/500R.

mkenyon

Banned
Unless you plan on watercooling, R4 and Arc Midi are equal in terms of air cooling performance. I *love* the R4. I wasn't too fond of the R3 because of the cable management situation (back panel had very limited clearance) and the cooling configuration wasn't quite as well thought out.

Everything from fit and finish to capability has me completely floored on the R4. The voltage limiter for fan control on the front panel is a stroke of genius too. Running a DCII 7970 OC'd and a 2500K @ 4.5GHz in it, and it's super silent while maintaining typical temperatures at load. I did use two additional fans that I had lying around though.

If silence and a gloss finish aren't important to you, there isn't much reason to go with it over the Arc Midi. In the US, there's a $5 difference between the two. At 20 quid though, I don't know if I could justify it.

Noaloha

It's not worth much as an opinion, given that I've zero point of reference across any other cases, but let it be known that I'm smitten with this Arc Midi.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah. It's like choosing between (insert unattainable beautiful person X) and (insert unattainable beautiful person Y), you just can't go wrong.

Noaloha

I mentioned this earlier today in the PC Benching thread, but I was hoping for some clarification before I head back to work tomorrow after this long weekend (and didn't wanna double-post bump the Race Your PC one back to page 1).

After 3dMark had done its thing, it listed my processor speed as 1.6GHz. Is that simply because the application only took a reading before/after it put the CUP under load, or does it indicate something more worrying?

And I was puzzled also about my GPU driver, but I've realised what the problem was now: I found 'version 12.8' on AMD's site and assumed that was the driver number, so I was confused when 3dMark listed the driver as still 8.21something-or-other. 12.8 was actually the number for the Catalyst Suite as a whole and a new driver was included inside that.

My question following on from this realisation then is, should I not trust CCC to update itself? When I was asking the initial (older version number) application if any updates were available, it was saying "nope, you good."

Also, is updating your GPU driver via an entire Catalyst reinstall the accepted method? AMD doesn't seem to list the individual card driver itself.

mkenyon

Banned
Yep, it polls your information before it's under load. CPU's using the speedstep technology will not accurately list the max frequency.

As far as updating drivers go, you will want to do that manually. Uninstall drivers/CCC through Add/Remove programs. Restart info safe mode and delete everything in C:\AMD\ (and run CCleaner/DriverSweeper if you want to be 100% certain). Restart again, and then install the newest drivers.

Heck, I have a friend that reformats every time he updates drivers just to be totally certain.

MrBig

I've just done the "clean" install option in the nvidia drivers for years, and delete C:\NVIDIA, and never had a single driver related issue. Is there really a reason to do anything more than that beyond going back to an old driver?

Noaloha

Yeah, I think I added the new driver (or rather, updated Catalyst which had the driver inside it) the 'proper' (overzealous?) way.

I followed this guide, which was perfect for a newbie like myself -- it doesn't assume any prior knowledge on the reader's part. It also goes beyond the steps you mention.

Fucking around in regedit is terrifying. :) I certainly found a bunch of AMD leftover junk in there though.

EDIT: in case it wasn't clear from my description, I wasn't saying that I still needed to update the drivers. I replaced them half a dozen hours ago and that one change seemed to make a surprisingly large difference to the 3dMark score. So I'm happy. I was just (mistakenly I guess) under the impression that I would need to only update specifically the driver, but I realised that actually I need to update the entire Catalyst Suite instead and to not rely on it to tell me if there's an update available (unless I'm missing something).

Ok so I just moved back to University. In a brand new building. I have a relatively new gaming PC with a 700w power supply. It should be fine since I had the same PC on the same campus last semester (different building) and never had any problems.

Now however, I have been on campus for 4 days and blown the breakers 4 times. I also have some other stuff hooked up but I tried disconnecting everything else and just my PC alone would blow it. I am hoping that they will fix it eventually but until the.....is there any reasonable way to reduce my PC's peak power usage? Or is there really no reasonable reason why I shouldn't be fine and I should just bitch more to the housing office?

thabiz

Ok so I just moved back to University. In a brand new building. I have a relatively new gaming PC with a 700w power supply. It should be fine since I had the same PC on the same campus last semester (different building) and never had any problems.

Now however, I have been on campus for 4 days and blown the breakers 4 times. I also have some other stuff hooked up but I tried disconnecting everything else and just my PC alone would blow it. I am hoping that they will fix it eventually but until the.....is there any reasonable way to reduce my PC's peak power usage? Or is there really no reasonable reason why I shouldn't be fine and I should just bitch more to the housing office?

Bitch more. Thats ridiculous. 700w and youre blowing the fuse. ridiculous!

MrBig

It's not actually drawing 700w. If you aren't running SLI it's probably more around 200-300w. You can downclock the CPU/GPU, but there should be no problems with it, it's their problem.

mkenyon

Banned
Hm, I don't know if I can wait for the new Silverstone cases :(

TJ07 or Cosmos II?
900D is supposedly coming out relatively soon as well:

rtr08h.jpg

You planning on watercooling? I mean real watercooling, not the closed loop business.
Any sexy-looking and functional small/mini-ITX cases that are a little smaller than the Bitfenix Prodigy?
Ive been looking for the same thing.

Non-Black case ofcourse.
Silverstone SG-07, SG-08, FT03 mini. FT03 mini requires use of a reference video card as well as a lot of concessions on coolers/part choices. Looks pretty famazing though.

BKkoyh.jpg

Lian Li TU-200, Q08, Q25 (pictured below). They come in silver, red, or black.

6mdR8h.jpg

Hmm, that's good news then.

Would it be a vast difference, or is it negligible for the most part (unless I'm crunching numbers in 3DMark or whatever?)
With a 670, zero difference.

*edit*
Though only in black, the Fractal Node 304 will be out fairly soon (hopefully)

uYX15h.jpg

Thanks again to Mareg for replying to my previous questions.

Got another one. The case I have is the Cooler Master HAF 922, with fans in the front, top, and back. The bottom panel is vented and is where the PSU is installed. Do I install the PSU with its fan facing the motherboard/graphics card or towards the floor? I see conflicting answers on Google.

mkenyon

Banned
tl;dr, it doesn't really matter. The only instance where you would want to avoid putting it facing down is if your computer is on carpet.

Totally up to you otherwise.

RS4-

Thanks MK, I'll wait for the 900D and whatever SS throws out. But yeah, I'll just keep my options open with real WCing.

mkenyon

Banned
There's the Little Devil PC-V7. Supposedly around $350 when it releases stateside. Pretty much the bee's knees when it comes to out of the box WC support.

I1fFfh.jpg

The entire front and top of it can accept 5.25" bay devices. It can fit a 60mm thick rad on the roof and in the front without having to remove any HDD cages. It's spaced out to where a rad fits in between the HDD cage and the front. It's my #1 desired piece of kit right now.

cackhyena

I wasn't too fond of the R3 because of the cable management situation (back panel had very limited clearance) and the cooling configuration wasn't quite as well thought out.

That's my only issue with it. My cable management is still a mess. Just couldn't figure out a way to get everything under control in there. Doesn't help that my PSU has a bunch of cords coming from it I don't need that can't be detached.

Johnas

I have kind of a general question I was hoping someone could chime in on.

I am brand new to building and have been having trouble deciding between the Enhanced and Excellent builds in Hazaro's OP. The reason I'm indecisive is that I will, for the most part, be playing older games via Steam (Half-Lifes, Portals, Ys games, Stalker, etc.), probably the newest games I'm interested in would be Dark Souls PC version. Maybe Skyrim.

The vast majority of my time (for the foreseeable future) will be spent playing those older games, or doing something not very resource intensive at all (browsing the internet, eg).

I want a system that can play Dark Souls PC at good performance, but I want something quiet and cool that doesn't consume loads of power. Should I just go ahead and bite on the Excellent build, or will the Enhanced with the 6870 be adequate?

Salaadin

Any idea what might be causing this?

I recently upgraded from the AMD HD6870 to Nvidia GTX 660ti. Everything is fine except for Sleep mode. I either get quick "display driver has stopped responding and had to recover" or my PC will need to reboot to recover from an error. Im not sure why or how to fix it.

mkenyon

Banned
Enhanced will get it done. Upgrade the video card when you feel it's starting to hold your system back.
That's a link to your own cart. Need to make it public and share it.

Take the time and effort to post full names of the items though. It makes it a lot easier for folks to look over.

Any idea what might be causing this?

I recently upgraded from the AMD HD6870 to Nvidia GTX 660ti. Everything is fine except for Sleep mode. I either get quick "display driver has stopped responding and had to recover" or my PC will need to reboot to recover from an error. Im not sure why or how to fix it.
Stop using sleep :p

Surprised hibernate worked in the first place, it generally despises custom builds and all sorts of motherboards. Once you get to OC'ing, it's a total goner.

mkenyon

Banned
Get the ASUS DCII, MSI Twin Frozr, or Gigabyte Windforce verison of the 660Ti. Other than that, looks good.

*edit*

Actually, you could go lower on the PSU. 550W will suit you fine. Antec BP550, Seasonic 550/560.

Get the ASUS DCII, MSI Twin Frozr, or Gigabyte Windforce verison of the 660Ti. Other than that, looks good.

*edit*

Actually, you could go lower on the PSU. 550W will suit you fine. Antec BP550, Seasonic 550/560.

I don't see any of those 3 on newegg

and I dont see a seasonic 550/560

mkenyon

Banned
It can cause blue screens. It won't damage anything though.

It's more of 'it shouldn't work', than 'DONT DO IT OR DIE'.
ok so lets try again
Looks good. If you wanted to shave off a few dollars, you could drop the optical drive and the 212 Evo to a 212 Plus. Also, could grab this RAM which you can set to 1866/2133 pretty easily.

*edit*
Also, crap, just noticed what motherboard you have. Go for the ASRock Z77 Pro4 or Biostar TZ77XE3.

cackhyena

Huh. Been using it all this time. I'll wait till it happens to shit my pants and never use it again. Quite used to it after all these years.

It can cause blue screens. It won't damage anything though.

It's more of 'it shouldn't work', than 'DONT DO IT OR DIE'.

Looks good. If you wanted to shave off a few dollars, you could drop the optical drive and the 212 Evo to a 212 Plus. Also, could grab this RAM which you can set to 1866/2133 pretty easily.

*edit*
Also, crap, just noticed what motherboard you have. Go for the ASRock Z77 Pro4 or Biostar TZ77XE3.

k heres the wish list updated. not gonna drop the optical.

legacyzero

Banned
Ok GAF, I'm seeing some complaints about the AZrock Mobo I have selected. I'm not %100 confident in this build yet, but I'm getting close.

Is this Mobo going to be fine? Or is there another one in that (or close to) price range?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fJyD

Oh, and for my NZXT SWITCH 810, should I go BLACK? Or GUNMETAL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom