• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

legacyzero

Banned
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fJfe

OK Yall. I have an updated list. Does GAF approve? Keep in mind that any blanks are things I already have, such as 8 GB mem, a 750 watt PSU, and such.

I think the 680 might be a bit much, perhaps a 670?? I dunno. I'm leaning towards perhaps even staying with ATI/AMD anyway as far as the GPU is concerned...

Hoplatee

Hello,

Excuse me for asking this stupid question. I want to give away my 200 old gig HD but simply formatting does not get rid of the data so I am looking for a simple program I could run overnight to clear it completely. Any suggestions? I have a bay I could click it in on my case.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fJfe

OK Yall. I have an updated list. Does GAF approve? Keep in mind that any blanks are things I already have, such as 8 GB mem, a 750 watt PSU, and such.

I think the 680 might be a bit much, perhaps a 670?? I dunno. I'm leaning towards perhaps even staying with ATI/AMD anyway as far as the GPU is concerned...
If you don't know, then a 670 is more than enough. GB or MSI.
Hello,

Excuse me for asking this stupid question. I want to give away my 200 old gig HD but simply formatting does not get rid of the data so I am looking for a simple program I could run overnight to clear it completely. Any suggestions? I have a bay I could click it in on my case.
dban

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
More stupid questions

What's the difference between

4GB (2x2GB) Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz
6GB (1x2GB, 1x4GB) DDR3 at 1333MHz

They're listed as the same price, so that's why I'm confused.

appaws

Banned
Any specific info on what Radeon's will be bundled with Sleeping Dogs?

Only 78XX series or is the 79XX series included too? I think the press release from AMD indicates only 78XX series cards and I've seen it mentioned that only the 7870 would be bundled with the game. :(

I'm holding off on buying a 7950, but if Sleeping Dogs isn't bundled I guess I should just get it if a sale comes up.

EDIT: Looks like the 7950 is included. Though the AMD website I found shows the bundle running from August 10 through the 31st http://sites.amd.com/us/promo/graphics/Pages/sleeping-dogs-terms-and-conditions.aspx

Hey! I just ordered a Windforce 7950 this morning from Newegg....Is this just the AMD branded cards, or any of the different manufacturers...?

Hey! I just ordered a Windforce 7950 this morning from Newegg....Is this just the AMD branded cards, or any of the different manufacturers...?

Its AMD's version of the giveaway Nvidia is doing with their 600 series so it should count for all manufacturers of the specific cards.

Plus AMD hasn't sold their cards as a retail brand for a while now, opting to give the design to other manufacturers instead so they do their own thing

cametall

I'd jump on a card right now if I knew it'd still qualify for Sleeping Dogs when the bundle does start.

Alas, I will have to settle on my GTX 460 for the time being.

More stupid questions

What's the difference between

4GB (2x2GB) Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz
6GB (1x2GB, 1x4GB) DDR3 at 1333MHz

They're listed as the same price, so that's why I'm confused.

in a physical sense one consists of 2 sticks, each being 2gb. The other is also 2 sticks but one is a 2gb and the other is 4gb.

Also the reason why one mentions Dual Channel and the other doesn't is because IIRC you need the sticks to also be of the same capacity for the Dual Channel feature on your Motherboard to work.

Vostro

This sucks, I think my OS hard drive is dead. When going to the BIOS, the hard drive is not detected only the 2nd HD and DVD drive is detected. I checked inside to see if the cable was unplugged but everything was fine. I took the hard drive out and put it on another computer. But it's also not detectable by the BIOS. So i guess it's safe to say that my hard drive is now dead and it's time to buy a new one. what sucks is that I don't know if it's possible to recover all the data.

Is there a way to recover it once it's dead?

Just a real quick suggestion guys-- I have up to $200 to spend on a monitor. Been looking at various models on Amazon but can't really figure out what the best options are and I figure I could get a better answer here.

Are LED monitors hot shit?

Smokey

^^I've never used driver sweeper. I just uninstall the drivers, then go to the C: drive and delete all the nvidia folders such as:

C:\NVIDIA
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation
C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation

to make sure the old files are gone. Then simply install the new drivers. I think there's a box in the 300 series drivers you can check upon installation that says "perform clean installation".

Also, you mentioned that your machine had been freezing up. Have you tried running the cpu at stock and seeing if the utilization improves?

Just a update I re-installed the 690 and it seems to be doing better. I am back on my 2560x1600 monitor and SLI scaling on this is not as good as the scaling on the 580s. I disabled one GPU and went into some games and it was pegged at 98-99%, but when SLI was enabled it dipped a bit and wasn't as consistent as my 580s. Will chalk it up to the 600 series still being relatively new.

Will try OC tomorrow on Heaven

Peeps with 600T, are your fans loud? Specifically the front intake and the top fan. Mine seem to have that 'whining' effect, I can hear the computer on idle from across the room.

MrBig

Just a real quick suggestion guys-- I have up to $200 to spend on a monitor. Been looking at various models on Amazon but can't really figure out what the best options are and I figure I could get a better answer here.

Are LED monitors hot shit?

LED is just the backlighting, and just about every monitor has moved away from CCFL to LED by now afaik.

You can get an IPS panel, like that in a Dell U2312HM for that price.

big_z

Peeps with 600T, are your fans loud? Specifically the front intake and the top fan. Mine seem to have that 'whining' effect, I can hear the computer on idle from across the room.

120mm Case fans should be at 600-800rpm if you want quiet. 200mm fans at 400rpm or slower. Of course some fans are loud regardless due to motor noise or being shit.

Smokey

One other thing: I checked CPU-Z and my speed is showing 4600.xx.

It usually down clocks when not in use but it's not. Also the xx area it is fluctuating and so is my voltage even though I have it manually set at 1.27v...I don't know how long it's been doing this I just happened to look and it's just staying at 4.6..

I did try this earlier when I was trying to troubleshoot my 690 issues:

http://ultimatecomputers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3644c

I changed the value back to what is was before that and it's still sitting at 4.6 and not budging...

Any ideas on this?

Matthew9559

Neo Member
Cool, thanks for the info.

I really would not recommend any other monitor. I got one of these last week and it is the best money I have spent on my PC in a long time. Games look like **** on my old LCD compared to this IPS monitor. For your price point, I wouldn't look any farther. Well there is the 24" bigger brother but its 45 bucks more. Not worth it imo, same everything except screen size and resolution.

n0n44m

One other thing: I checked CPU-Z and my speed is showing 4600.xx.

It usually down clocks when not in use but it's not. Also the xx area it is fluctuating and so is my voltage even though I have it manually set at 1.27v...I don't know how long it's been doing this I just happened to look and it's just staying at 4.6..

I did try this earlier when I was trying to troubleshoot my 690 issues:

http://ultimatecomputers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3644c

I changed the value back to what is was before that and it's still sitting at 4.6 and not budging...

Any ideas on this?

force the bios to enable the C1E state (somewhere under advanced CPU options)

never had to do this with my old P8P67 PRO, but the P8Z68-V PRO disables it when overclocking if it is left on the "AUTO" setting ... so set it to enabled then it goes down to 1600 MHz again on idle :)

SLV

I got a simple question guys, what is the best SSD for games and OS at the moment, thinking 250 GB + one, will be running on WIN 7 64 bit, on a Asus P8P67, intel SATA 3 port.

Thanks !

Would this be the default choice ?
4ahJM.jpg

kharma45

I got a simple question guys, what is the best SSD for games and OS at the moment, thinking 250 GB + one, will be running on WIN 7 64 bit, on a Asus P8P67, intel SATA 3 port.

Thanks !

4ahJM.jpg

Samsung 830 would be my choice.

big_z

Thanks !

4ahJM.jpg

samsung 830. intel and crucial m4 are also recommended.

SLV

Samsung 830 would be my choice.

samsung 830. intel and crucial m4 are also recommended.

Is it worth the 50 $ difference ? The samsung that is.

EDIT: Oh well, after a bit of googling, i just ordered the samy 830 256 gb one, will be installing it tomorrow :D Cant wait !
As far as i understand, i simply plug out my existing raid 10 drives and install the SSD solo yes ? The newer mobos should have all drives that are not in a raid massive, while in raid mode set to ahci ? Or should i still revert from Raid to AHCi while installing the SSd and then plug back in the raid drives and switch to raid ? Thanks !

Madridy

Finally after two months of delays and laziness I've got all of my main components ready to build:

Now the Fun part starts. Any tips are welcomed since this is my first time building a PC from scratch.

Spec:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Gene Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Case: Silverstone TJ08B-E MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic 560W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit)

Fjordson

Finally after two months of delays and laziness I've got all of my main components ready to build:

Now the Fun part starts. Any tips are welcomed since this is my first time building a PC from scratch.

Spec:
That's almost exactly what my setup will be (GTX 670, same RAM, same CPU) but I've been trying to decide on a power supply. Thought I'd need at least 650 watts or so, but maybe not?

n0n44m

That's almost exactly what my setup will be (GTX 670, same RAM, same CPU) but I've been trying to decide on a power supply. Thought I'd need at least 650 watts or so, but maybe not?

quality 550W for single 670, 750W for SLI ... and Seasonic is pretty much the best brand out there

(although I'm running a 2600k, SLI GTX670, 3 SSDs 2 HDDs and everything overclocked from a Corsair HX650 lol)

Why can't I just live with the fact that high end components have high chances of doing coil whine :( ?

hmm guess I got lucky ... everything watercooled no sound whatsoever here (two Gigabyte OC 670s)

although it kinda is the reason why I don't want to upgrade my PSU :p would hate to get some whining model

Monarch

Banned
quality 550W for single 670, 750W for SLI ... and Seasonic is pretty much the best brand out there

(although I'm running a 2600k, SLI GTX670, 3 SSDs 2 HDDs and everything overclocked from a Corsair HX650 lol)

hmm guess I got lucky ... everything watercooled no sound whatsoever here (two Gigabyte OC 670s)

although it kinda is the reason why I don't want to upgrade my PSU :p would hate to get some whining model

I have myself a very good PSU (Corsair AX750) and I thought my actual coil whine did come from my 670 but after removing it, the coil whine was still here so I guess it's the PSU.
But whatever, my PC is literally at my feet so it might be the reason why I can hear even the slightest noise coming from it.

How does this build sound?

Case: Antec 300 Three Hundred
PSU: 600W Corsair GS600
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H, Intel Z77 Chipset
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K, Ivy Bridge, 3.4GHz, Quad Core, 6MB Cache
Memory: DDR3 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance - 1600MHz
Graphics Card: 660 TI
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Gaming Sound Card
HDD: 1 TB SATA-III 7200 RPM
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S222AB/BEBE - 22x DVD Writer

thabiz

How do you find the SLI 670's? I have SLI 570's and thinking of making the jump.

Spec:

Get DDR3-1600, no point in anything faster.

MicroATX can be a hassle to work with sometimes, you just don't have a whole lot of space, though most current cases aren't too much smaller than full ATX when it comes down to it. Any reason why you picked it?

Smokey

force the bios to enable the C1E state (somewhere under advanced CPU options)

never had to do this with my old P8P67 PRO, but the P8Z68-V PRO disables it when overclocking if it is left on the "AUTO" setting ... so set it to enabled then it goes down to 1600 MHz again on idle :)

Thanks, will try after work.

I never had this issue before though? I know that speedstep is enabled so hopefully what you said will fix it. Or maybe its a bad read? I say that because realtemp and cpu z both show it at 4.6, bit my temps are the same as when it would idle at 1600mhz (37-40
@ 1.27v).

mkenyon

Banned
How does this build sound?

Case: Antec 300 Three Hundred
PSU: 600W Corsair GS600
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H, Intel Z77 Chipset
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K, Ivy Bridge, 3.4GHz, Quad Core, 6MB Cache
Memory: DDR3 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance - 1600MHz
Graphics Card: 660 TI
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Gaming Sound Card
HDD: 1 TB SATA-III 7200 RPM
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S222AB/BEBE - 22x DVD Writer
Swap PSU for a seasonic 550 or 560W PSU or antec BP550. Get a different case from the OP.

Spec:
Search for TJ08 build logs on Overclock.net and pour over those. You'll get lots of tricks to save you some headaches and some good ideas on how to approach the build. Things like build order can change a bit when you are talking about a case that has significant design differences compared to standard cases.

I really would not recommend any other monitor. I got one of these last week and it is the best money I have spent on my PC in a long time. Games look like **** on my old LCD compared to this IPS monitor. For your price point, I wouldn't look any farther. Well there is the 24" bigger brother but its 45 bucks more. Not worth it imo, same everything except screen size and resolution.

This is the one I'll probably get but I'm reading a lot of comments online saying that there's ghosting and it's not really for gaming? Is that BS?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Guys, help me out for a second, please!

I want to expand my setup's memory with an extra 4GB. Currently, I have this 3x2GB kit installed.

PC-16000 means 2000 MHz, right?

The problem is that I can't find any 2000 MHz sticks in my local store, so I'm looking at this one, with 2x2GB from Kingston, which I think are 1600 MHz.

Question: will I have a problem if I mix the 3x2GB 2000 MHz with 2x2GB 1600 MHz? Will the setup even work properly?

(Unfortunately Newegg is out of the question.)

Friggz

Anyone willing to recommend a video card that will support 3 monitors that runs games smoothly? I was looking at the 670, but ive read reviews that state it does and doesnt support 3 monitors.

mkenyon

Banned
There's no mention of GW2. What can we expect? (Of course I'll update).
An insane friend of mine who formats his system before each driver update just went from the July beta drivers to these this morning. His previous format/update was Friday morning to install the July drivers, so this limits a ton of variables.

He's running two 680s and said there was a 15-25% increase in frames (rough estimate, no consistent test to run).
Guys, help me out for a second, please!

I want to expand my setup's memory with an extra 4GB. Currently, I have this 3x2GB kit installed.

PC-16000 means 2000 MHz, right?

The problem is that I can't find any 2000 MHz sticks in my local store, so I'm looking at this one, with 2x2GB from Kingston, which I think are 1600 MHz.

Question: will I have a problem if I mix the 3x2GB 2000 MHz with 2x2GB 1600 MHz? Will the setup even work properly?

(Unfortunately Newegg is out of the question.)
No.

Memory speeds are simply what they've been tested to work at properly, not what they run at out of the box. Anything over 1333 is an overclock. If you haven't overclocked your memory to 2000mhz, chances are it's running at 1333 or 1600 depending.

You should check your motherboard manual for memory compatibility to make sure the Kingston is on the list. You may run into problems, or you may not. Mixing is always a crapshoot.

Anyone willing to recommend a video card that will support 3 monitors that runs games smoothly? I was looking at the 670, but ive read reviews that state it does and doesnt support 3 monitors.
Depending on the game, 7950 or 7970. Dual card setups were designed for high resolutions pretty much, so that's always a good way to go as well. I'd still suggest going with the 7970 or 7950 as their multi-monitor tech (eyefinity) is definitely superior to NVIDIA's. If you're stuck on the green team, or want less of a hassle getting two cards to work properly, two 4GB 670s/680s would be a good way to go as well, but is significantly pricier.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
No.

Memory speeds are simply what they've been tested to work at properly, not what they run at out of the box. Anything over 1333 is an overclock. If you haven't overclocked your memory to 2000mhz, chances are it's running at 1333 or 1600 depending.

You should check your motherboard manual for memory compatibility to make sure the Kingston is on the list. You may run into problems, or you may not. Mixing is always a crapshoot.

If it's there in the manual, though, it'll work, right? Or is there a chance of some kind of conflict?

Thanks for the help.

Madridy

Get DDR3-1600, no point in anything faster.

MicroATX can be a hassle to work with sometimes, you just don't have a whole lot of space, though most current cases aren't too much smaller than full ATX when it comes down to it. Any reason why you picked it?

I've got these because the 1600 were OOS. also the 1866 were the only red ones available.

I like small form factor builds. Also I'm planning to setup the PC near my HDTV, so a smaller case with minimalist design was a big factor.

Search for TJ08 build logs on Overclock.net and pour over those. You'll get lots of tricks to save you some headaches and some good ideas on how to approach the build. Things like build order can change a bit when you are talking about a case that has significant design differences compared to standard cases.

Thanks mkenyon. One my biggest concerns is that the ASUS DCII cooler won't perform as good in a 180 degrees inverted MOBO case.

mkenyon

Banned
It *should* perform the same. The issues with the non-reference heatsinks is in the 90-degree rotated cases like the FT02/RV02.

n0n44m

How do you find the SLI 670's? I have SLI 570's and thinking of making the jump.

coming from a massively overclocked GTX 480 ... roughly triple the performance for about the same energy usage

every game that supports SLI correctly runs like a dream obviously, but the same goes for SLI 570 I guess?

only had some GPU usage issues with BF3 Multiplayer & Tribes, but the first is fixed by latest drivers & setting the "Mesh Quality" to low and the second is just hopelessly unoptimized :p

overall I'm very happy with it, playing at 120hz 1080p or 3D 1080p ... but it's still a €700~800 investment so you better make sure you get a decent amount for your older cards

JambiBum

So I have a question that maybe you guys can answer. I got a new video card today, installed it and everything works fine except for the fact that my front two usb ports stopped working. My back two are just fine. I deleted my old drivers and I think that is what's causing it but I have no idea how to get them back. Any ideas?

mkenyon

Banned
only had some GPU usage issues with BF3 Multiplayer & Tribes, but the first is fixed by latest drivers & setting the "Mesh Quality" to low and the second is just hopelessly unoptimized :p
What's your CPU and frequency?

I did some tests to confirm my suspicions, but frame rate was completely equal between a 690, 560Ti, 6950, and 7970 as long as the CPU and frequency was the same. This game is crazy CPU bottlenecked. I could not keep it at a consistent 120FPS until I OC'd the 3820 to 4.95 GHz.
So I have a question that maybe you guys can answer. I got a new video card today, installed it and everything works fine except for the fact that my front two usb ports stopped working. My back two are just fine. I deleted my old drivers and I think that is what's causing it but I have no idea how to get them back. Any ideas?
You probably unplugged the header.

n0n44m

What's your CPU and frequency?

I did some tests to confirm my suspicions, but frame rate was completely equal between a 690, 560Ti, 6950, and 7970 as long as the CPU and frequency was the same. This game is crazy CPU bottlenecked. I could not keep it at a consistent 120FPS until I OC'd the 3820 to 4.95 GHz.

You probably unplugged the header.

4.8~5 GHz 2600K

maxed out the performance was terrible, lowest settings is smooth at 120 Hz but damn ugly :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom