• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Bought a new rig last week:
I7 2600k
16 gb ram
Gtx 570oc
Intel motherboard
Fractal blackpealr case

After few days of assmbly/tweaking I finally got it running properly and I'm really pleased with it. Tried metro 2033 on highest settings and the thing runs quite smoothly. I also do graphics design and videowork on the computer, so the extra power has been really nice, especially compared to my old rig ;)

Here's something I did last night for testing rendering speed and other stuff:
paloposti.jpg

What renderer produced that image?

asa

I'm using Luxology Modo for rendering and modeling, took several render passes(diffuse, cavity, convex etc.) and composited final image in Photoshop.

what's the best way to slow my CPU fan down? i know speedFan but nothing i do there seems to work. the fan somehow is louder than usual while the temperature of my i5 2500k is still ok.

i use the stock fan and it runs at 1800RPM.

Karmum

Banned
Well, I found two EVGA GTX 460s for $139.99 and $149.99 on Tigerdirect. 1361 and 1363 models respectively. Mine is a 1371 (or 1370) model, but what is the difference between those two to warrant a $10 price difference? Would it really matter much if I just go for the $139.99 model?

Wazzim

Banned
what's the best way to slow my CPU fan down? i know speedFan but nothing i do there seems to work. the fan somehow is louder than usual while the temperature of my i5 2500k is still ok.

In SpeedFan go to CONFIGURE-> ADVANCED-> CHIP (select the option with all the PMW settings)-> Set to manual
Now you can configure your fan speed with SpeedFan.
naamlooszmjin.png

MisterNoisy

Generally speaking, you should be able to throttle your CPU fan in BIOS/UEFI. I usually set to 40% base and then 50C as the target temp.

Put in my order to Newegg yesterday for the components of a new machine. My current PC is ancient, so there's absolutely nothing that can make the move over. Still, I put together what seems like a pretty capable setup for a good price. I've got:

i5 2500k
8 gigs ram
Asus GTX560 Ti
80 GB Intel SSD
Fractal Design R3 case

That came to a bit under $1400, with another $110 in mail in rebates I'll probably forget to send. This will be the first machine I've put together myself. I had wanted to pay some company to assemble it, but this thread convinced me to give it a try, plus I'm too impatient to wait the three weeks that'd take. Still, if I blow something up or manage to somehow swallow the CPU I'm blaming you all.

Unai

For around the same price as a G510, last time I checked, you could get a razer blackwidow or even look into a DAS keyboard. G510 is a membrane keyboard which I personally find feel like shit compared to a mechanical keyboard like the blackwidow or a DAS.

Thanks!

I've learned that in a lot of units when we hit the spacepar in the blackwidow, the alt is also pressed. Was this just a problem with the launch units, or can I have this problem if I buy this keyboard today?

Put in my order to Newegg yesterday for the components of a new machine. My current PC is ancient, so there's absolutely nothing that can make the move over. Still, I put together what seems like a pretty capable setup for a good price. I've got:

i5 2500k
8 gigs ram
Asus GTX560 Ti
80 GB Intel SSD
Fractal Design R3 case

That came to a bit under $1400, with another $110 in mail in rebates I'll probably forget to send. This will be the first machine I've put together myself. I had wanted to pay some company to assemble it, but this thread convinced me to give it a try, plus I'm too impatient to wait the three weeks that'd take. Still, if I blow something up or manage to somehow swallow the CPU I'm blaming you all.
Been meaning to post in here for a while, this is pretty much the exact same spec I bought and built over the holidays...

Am a total PC gaming noob but wanted a project for myself and was fed up with console gaming. That plus the Steam sale was on at the time, pushed me over the edge!

My 560ti is the Asus 448 core CUII model, took me about 3 hours to put it all together.

The Fractal case is fantastic, really easy to assemble and it's incredibly quiet when running. Also rather inconspicuous so keeps my other half happy :)

After gaming on PS3 for the last few years, playing Batman AC at near 60fps (after some tweaking) is a revelation

scogoth

I think I might have overestimated what the 560Ti was meant to be capable of. Is DX11 @ 60fps too much to ask of it?

Don't know where your looking at the driver info but nvidia driver version should be xxx.xx

The latest beta drivers are 290.53 and the latest stable are 285.62

TheExodu5

Banned
If his Resident Evil 5 score didn't go up, I'm inclined to say something's wrong. While the GTX 560 Ti is not a massive jump up from a 4890, he should still probably get a 30% increase, at the very least.

big_z

my 9800gtx died around christmas and i rma'd it and got a 260gtx core 216 in return. i was hoping it would hold me over until the new nvidia cards come out but the fan on it is fucking annoying. how much do you think i could sell it for???

TheExodu5

Banned
my 9800gtx died around christmas and i rma'd it and got a 260gtx core 216 in return. i was hoping it would hold me over until the new nvidia cards come out but the fan on it is fucking annoying. how much do you think i could sell it for???

$60.

Maybe $80 if you're lucky.

If it came with a new transferable warranty, then you should be able to get $80 out of it.

artist

Banned
There's a similar deal up in Canada. I've never bought from Galaxy. How are they?
They arent top tier brand though some of their products are pretty decent. The user reviews on newegg is a good gauge, I think this card has a 3 year warranty.

Wait wait wait back up a couple years. When did they start putting power supplies at the bottom of the case? I missed this revolution in case design. I thought the theory was air comes in the front bottom, rises through the CPU as it gets hotter and is exhaust by the PSU. How does it work at the bottom? Is it pulling air from up or down?

TheExodu5

Banned
Wait wait wait back up a couple years. When did they start putting power supplies at the bottom of the case? I missed this revolution in case design. I thought the theory was air comes in the front bottom, rises through the CPU as it gets hotter and is exhaust by the PSU. How does it work at the bottom? Is it pulling air from up or down?

They usually put an exhaust fan behind the CPU, and that's what exhausts the case's air. Now many cases will also have a top exhaust as well.

When a PSU is bottom mounted, the case usually has mesh at the bottom to allow the PSU to pull its air from outside of the case, rather than inside. The PSU then has its own air flow, independent from the case.

This is what the airflow of a modern case looks like:
airflow.jpg

Also, some cases, like the one picture above, have a side panel fan which pulls in air directly over the video cards.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hot air is bad for PSU efficiency and longevity so it was a good idea.
Extra mobo power still at the top left though.

OK, thanks, that's interesting. If it's pulling air from the bottom, I assume the case has to have risers that stand off the ground by a cm or so to create room for air to come in? My current case is on carpet and there wouldn't be any room for intake.

TheExodu5

Banned
OK, thanks, that's interesting. If it's pulling air from the bottom, I assume the case has to have risers that stand off the ground by a cm or so to create room for air to come in? My current case is on carpet and there wouldn't be any room for intake.

That's correct. Most cases might be a half inch off the floor or something. If it were on thick carpet, then it wouldn't work too well. You can still mount the power supply upside down and have it pull air from the inside of the case if that's the case.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't understand why cases don't have a built in way to mount fans in the 5.25 bays that aren't being used. It was easy enough to stick one in mine, but it's just such an obvious airflow solution that can really benefit tower/rifle style heatsinks.

Igo

So i just assembled my new comp and i'm having a weird issue where the monitor keeps refreshing. It's really strange because it will go crazy on Wiki or reddit while being pretty stable on youtube.

I can't figure out it the problem stems from insufficient drivers for win 8 dev preview or if it's a resolution/display issue. Any ideas?

TheExodu5

Banned
Bay water resevoirs?

I kinda wish they would only include one maybe two for dvd and fan controller.

I can understand the need for them in some cases that are designed around watercooling...but the watercooling community is fairly small in the first place and there is a disproportionate amount of cases with a large number of 5.25" bays.

Fractal is one manufacturer that understands that hard drive bays are generally more valuable than 5.25" bays.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
It was a lot more easier then I had anticipated, didn't run into any real problems. If I had to say what the hardest parts were I'd say mounting the mother board took my awhile since I couldn't quite get it to "snap" into place and and have the headers line up exactly until after a few tries, the fans and rad for H80 were also tricky to install (holding it in one hand and trying to get the screws to line up and secured to the case with the other)

and Ill just go ahead and post the specs again:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Hard Drive: Corsair Force Series 3 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Case: Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1
Video Card: 1x Asus HD7970
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG

Total price was approx $1800, and about $1000 of that was paid for with rebate cards that were about to expire anyway so I'd say I got a good deal. ;)

Various info:

I have not overclocked anything yet, but Ill probably explore that sometime in the near future.

The 3DMark11 score is P7341 (ill make a post in the race thread in a little bit)

SSD speed test: http://i.imgur.com/odnCrl.jpg (I don't know how to read that, is this good/does this seem to be working correctly?)

I ran Prime95 for 12 hours and my CPU temps stayed withing the 60-65c range.

So in all I am very happy about my build, maximum thanks to everyone in this thread!

So I've got a bit of cash to drop, around a grand, decided to build a new PC with it. Never done it before, but I've dealt with computer innards enough I think I can manage it. I figured it was time to upgrade from my G73JH laptop to a full on gaming rig.

*cracks knuckles* Here goes.

TheExodu5

Banned
Sounds like his SSD may be plugged into a SATA 2 port.

edit: wait, depends on the type of data, according to TheSSDReview:

Crystal Disk Benchmark is used to measure read and write performance through sampling of raw (0/1 Fill) or random data. Many new SSD owners who can’t wait to test the performance of their SSD often grab this program and run a quick test, not realizing that they are testing with random data, not RAW or ’0Fill’ data as tested by manufacturers. The ’0Fill’ result is on the left and ‘random data’ result on the right.

Crystal.png

elty

I bought a 2500K + some Gigabyte Z68 board + 8GB memory for $300. I am using an old C2D e6400 but I no longer game or do anything processor intensive on PC....

Previous

check out my new Swatch
Just checked and it is plugged into a SATA 3 port, here's the retested results using 0 fill. Looks like that was it.

LgvzG.jpg

TheBear

Don't know where your looking at the driver info but nvidia driver version should be xxx.xx

The latest beta drivers are 290.53 and the latest stable are 285.62

When I look at the Display drivers through Device Manager, it's 8.12 etc.
The driver pack I downloaded was 285.62. I'll try the Beta drivers to see if there's much difference. I tried out BF3 SP and was pretty impressed, runs smooth on high. I was expecting this card to be leaps and bounds better than the 4890, but I guess I didn't do enough research :( If you want over 60fps on every game at max settings, what sort of rig do you need?

Camwi

Ok, so I'm getting pretty impatient waiting for the 7970s to restock. Right now I could either get an MSI or an XFX.

Now, I'd rather get a Sapphire or an Asus due to assumed higher quality, but am I being too picky? Are all the usual video card manufacturers pretty evenly matched when it comes to quality? Is there any difference in customer support or warranty?

TheExodu5

Banned
Ok, so I'm getting pretty impatient waiting for the 7970s to restock. Right now I could either get an MSI or an XFX.

Now, I'd rather get a Sapphire or an Asus due to assumed higher quality, but am I being too picky? Are all the usual video card manufacturers pretty evenly matched when it comes to quality? Is there any difference in customer support or warranty?

XFX used to be really good for customer support and warranty. They used to offer lifetime transferable warranty on all their products, but now it seems it's just on the Black Edition.

traveler

Not Wario
I cannot for the life of me make a decision when it comes to a case. I've got the rest of the parts ordered; it's the only thing left.

I'm stuck between the Corsair 400r, 500r, Fractal Design Arc, Antec DF-85, and the Obsidian 650d.

As far as priorities go, cooling is the most important factor by far. Ease of build would be second, as this is my first time building a PC. Noise isn't much of a concern to me. I'll be using air cooling, not water. Aesthetically, I tend to prefer more subdued designs. The Obsidian 650d above is pretty much perfect. (My reservations about it tend to come from the poor things I've heard about its "negative air pressure" design and the impact it has on cooling.) I'm open to suggestions as well.

Wazzim

Banned
OMG thank you so much. all that time i thought that program was worthless...

idle core temps at around max. 47C are ok with the stock fan right? i5 2k5 btw.

No problem, I had the same problem as you until I figured it out :)
and yeah that is a good idle temp.

Vice

This may be a dumb question but would it be possible to install a better graphics card into a PC with an integrated graphics card? This may seem silly but I bought a cheap PC to hold me over when my last oen broke and I'm looking to try out some newer games on it.

If it's not possible can I salvage parts from this desktop and use them as parts when building a newer one?

Edit: I believe you can install a newer graphics card and set your pc to ignore the integrated one right?

TheExodu5

Banned
I cannot for the life of me make a decision when it comes to a case. I've got the rest of the parts ordered; it's the only thing left.

I'm stuck between the Corsair 400r, 500r, Fractal Design Arc, Antec DF-85, and the Obsidian 650d.

As far as priorities go, cooling is the most important factor by far. Ease of build would be second, as this is my first time building a PC. Noise isn't much of a concern to me. I'll be using air cooling, not water. Aesthetically, I tend to prefer more subdued designs. The Obsidian 650d above is pretty much perfect. (My reservations about it tend to come from the poor things I've heard about its "negative air pressure" design and the impact it has on cooling.) I'm open to suggestions as well.

650D will be easiest to build with. The 650D is very large though, as large as a full tower, really. The Arc is a lot smaller in case size is a concern.

Really the 400R/500R, 650D, and Arc Midi are all great cases. You can also consider the Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced. Go with whichever one looks best to you.

There's a Corsair 550D coming out as well which might interest you.

Frog

So I've never built a PC before but PC-GAF says it's easy so I'm jumping in. Here's what I'm looking at right now, based largely on Hazaro's OP "Excellent" build, any suggestions before I pull the trigger?

Intel i5 2500k
ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3
2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 Low Profile
GTX560Ti 448 Cores (is it better to buy this over a 2GB ti w/fewer cores?)
Samsung F3 1TB (will this be more reliable than the F4 2TB?)
Coolermaster HAF 912 (enough room and simple enough for a beginner to work with?)
ASUS DRW-24B1ST
CoolerMaster 212+
Xonar DG
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
2xASUS VW246H
Plantronics GameCom 377 Headset

What else do I need to buy? A lot of the hard drives are listed as "bare", do I need any screws or cables for them or will all that be included with the case and motherboard? I need thermal paste for the heatsink right? As far as I can tell audio and DVI cables come with the monitors. Anything else I need?

I'm new to all this, so I appreciate all input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom