• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arucardo

Bought myself an Asus GTX 580 DirectCU II today for 350eur, feels good man. Going to be a nice upgrade from the 560 Ti, almost as nice as the upgrade from 4870 to the 560 Ti.

Been a while since I've had a really high end machine.

Blackheim

Oh yeah, how are Cougar fans?

Want to replace the stock fans in my 650D and am looking at the 120mm and 140mm fans for that.

Also will need a good 200mm one for the front intake, don't know what would be good for that one...

Erebus

To everyone with nVidia cards, do you encounter the dreaded "display driver has stopped responding but recovered" error message every now and then?

Anything past 275.33 is causing the drivers to crash and the screen to go black for a few seconds even when I'm practically doing nothing on my PC. No problems in games whatsoever.

Any ideas? This is really getting ridiculously. Has nVidia even acknowledged the problem? Are they doing anything to resolve it?

Right now I'm sending out audio over optical from the mobo to my reciever. Is there any benefit to using HDMI from my video card instead? My setup is only 2.1 also.

Exuro

To everyone with nVidia cards, do you encounter the dreaded "display driver has stopped responding but recovered" error message every now and then?

Anything past 275.33 is causing the drivers to crash and the screen to go black for a few seconds even when I'm practically doing nothing on my PC. No problems in games whatsoever.

Any ideas? This is really getting ridiculously. Has nVidia even acknowledged the problem? Are they doing anything to resolve it?
This happens quite a bit when I play TF2 on pretty much any driver.

Wondering if you guys could help me.

I just got my first proper PC and when I connect to HDMI, the screen looks horrible. It looks washed out, fuzzy and all the words/cursor seems to have a shadow.

Looks annoying. :(

Any ideas?

(Nvidia GTX 570)

Also, I've tried different monitors.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hrmm. I just checked everything and didn't find loose wires or loose screws around my case. What else could it be? I thought it was just Steam causing the crashes but it just happened twice in a row right after I had started my computer back up.

I really don't want to take everything apart again just to check for screws under the mobo. I reused the old standoffs from my previous mobo because my new one didn't come with any (I assumed the came with the case instead of with the mobo itself). Do you think those and the old screws are the problem? Should I make a run to Fry's and pick up another set of standoffs, washers, and screws?
I'd take everything apart and put it back together again, making sure you plug and replug all your connections.

If hard crashing continues to happen I'd say there is a power issue with your PSU or motherboard.

Arucardo

Wondering if you guys could help me.

I just got my first proper PC and when I connect to HDMI, the screen looks horrible. It looks washed out, fuzzy and all the words/cursor seems to have a shadow.

Looks annoying. :(

Any ideas?

(Nvidia GTX 570)

Also, I've tried different monitors.

Any chance that you could try a VGA or a DVI cable?

Also, have you tried more than one HDMI cable?

Arucardo

Think I fixed my problem.

Re-named my HDMI output on my Monitor to PC and it seemed to help.

Oh yeah, check your monitor/tv calibration settings, turn sharpness down as much as you can without making it blurry (most tv's I've calibrated are good with zero) and make sure it has full pixel/just scan/1:1 mode on.

Jomjom

Banned
Posted this in the Radeon HD 7900 thread, but I'm thinking I can get a better response in here.

Slightly off topic, but with the new 7900 series out now and the Nvidia cards coming out sometime in the near-ish future, when will the current line of cards go down in price based on past experience?

I don't have anywhere near the amount of money needed to get one of these cards or the next line of Nvidia cards, but I was hoping that the GTX 500 and 400 series cards along with the Radeon HD 6000 line of cards would see a significant price drop. I think the best deal I've seen recently is the GTX460 1GB for about $100.

Manp

fixed firmware for the Crucial M4 is out on Crucial site: http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx

this fixes the previously reported bug:

Correct a condition where an incorrect response to a SMART counter will cause the m4 drive to become unresponsive after 5184 hours of Power-on time. The drive will recover after a power cycle, however, this failure will repeat once per hour after reaching this point. The condition will allow the end user to successfully update firmware, and poses no risk to user or system data stored on the drive.

already updated both my drives with no issues.
never had any problem since i've just got past the 1000h mark but other users are reporting that the problem seems indeed fixed.

:)

I see like three models of the GTX 570 but am not sure which to get.

If I wan to spend $300-350 on a GPU and want to stick with NVidia, what do you folks recommend?

mkenyon

Banned

If I wan to spend $300-350 on a GPU and want to stick with NVidia, what do you folks recommend?
MSI Twin Frozr and ASUS DCII are the best non-reference coolers, but do dump heat into your case, which is a concern if you have poor airflow. EVGA has the best warranty and bins (meaning they select good yields, higher possible overclock) their cards.

Outside of the cooler, the only difference is going to be memory (1.25GB vs. 2.5GB VRAM), and overclock settings from the manufacturer. The prior is a concern if you want to run graphic hog games with a ton of AA at a high resolution. The latter doesn't matter one bit, because you can do all that yourself.

njean777

Hey guys quick question. I have a 6870 right now and was wondering if the GTX 560ti is worthy to upgrade to (I plan to SLI in the near future)? I run usually at 1360x768 but may change back to 1080p resolution in the next couple of days seeing as I will have my computer monitor back. What do you guys think?

Or I could just bite the bullet and get a 570, but if I get a 570 I will not be going the SLI route. I would rather stick to a single card if I can.

MSI Twin Frozr and ASUS DCII are the best non-reference coolers, but do dump heat into your case, which is a concern if you have poor airflow. EVGA has the best warranty and bins (meaning they select good yields, higher possible overclock) their cards.

Outside of the cooler, the only difference is going to be memory (1.25GB vs. 2.5GB VRAM), and overclock settings from the manufacturer. The prior is a concern if you want to run graphic hog games with a ton of AA at a high resolution. The latter doesn't matter one bit, because you can do all that yourself.

I highly recommend the 2 GB 560 Ti or the 2.5 GB GTX 570. My 2.5 GB GTX 570 is far more future proofed that the numb-nutted 1.28GB one I had before.

The Asus appeals to me because of the extra cooling although I'm not even sure how much I should be concerned about it. This GPU decision is crippling me!

BoobPhysics: Truthfully, I'm only averted to AMD GPUs because I've only ever used Nvidia and because I feel like I hear of more driver problems with AMD. I could definitely wait until next month... Is there any reason why more people seem to go with Nvidia?

The Asus appeals to me because of the extra cooling although I'm not even sure how much I should be concerned about it. This GPU decision is crippling me!

BoobPhysics: Truthfully, I'm only averted to AMD GPUs because I've only ever used Nvidia and because I feel like I hear of more driver problems with AMD. I could definitely wait until next month... Is there any reason why more people seem to go with Nvidia?

Nvidia fanboys cry the loudest about AMD drivers. I hear of plenty of people crying and whining about Nvidia's drivers. Neither company makes perfect drivers. I personally have had great experiences with both companies and their drivers so I don't really put much stock in the hearsay that goes on about AMD, most likely because I read the Guru3D/Nvidia forums and see tons of people having messed up Nvidia drivers.

scogoth

Nvidia fanboys cry the loudest about AMD drivers. I hear of plenty of people crying and whining about Nvidia's drivers. Neither company makes perfect drivers. I personally have had great experiences with both companies and their drivers so I don't really put much stock in the hearsay that goes on about AMD, most likely because I read the Guru3D/Nvidia forums and see tons of people having messed up Nvidia drivers.

I don't hate AMD drivers I hate the interface for them.

artist

Banned
Posted this in the Radeon HD 7900 thread, but I'm thinking I can get a better response in here.

Slightly off topic, but with the new 7900 series out now and the Nvidia cards coming out sometime in the near-ish future, when will the current line of cards go down in price based on past experience?

I don't have anywhere near the amount of money needed to get one of these cards or the next line of Nvidia cards, but I was hoping that the GTX 500 and 400 series cards along with the Radeon HD 6000 line of cards would see a significant price drop. I think the best deal I've seen recently is the GTX460 1GB for about $100.
Typically never.

IHVs (both AMD/Nvidia) dont tend to cut prices on older gen on the launch of a new gen. The product (cards) are already sold to the retailers, so its up to the retailers to slash prices and clear out their inventory before its dead weight. You only get price cuts from IHVs when the landscape gets more competitive on their current gen.

Nvidia might cut prices on the 580 when their AIB partners feel the pressure that the 7970 is taking sales away, however once Nvidia launch Kepler, I dont think they will cut prices on the 580 rather than EOL it.

Zimbardo

aside from AMD apparently having worse drivers than Nvidia, they've been said to have poor OpenGL performance and worse micro stutter in multi gpu setups.

plus there's no hardware Physx with AMD ...so that's why i've stuck with Nvidia over the years and will continue to do so until there's no good reason to do so.

TheBear

Hey guys, was hoping someone in here could help me out.
I purchased an ASUS GTX560Ti to replace my old HIS 4890. Before I replaced it, I ran a DX10 benchmark in Resident Evil 5, scoring around 55fps. After installing the new card, I gained a whole 1 fps, averaging 56fps.
I also benchmarked Arkham City with the new card with PhysX @ 32xAA 1920x1080 and averaged 14fps. No PhysX @ 8xAA 1920x1080 and averaged 22fps.
Here's a link to a 3DMark I ran as well. http://3dmark.com/3dm11/2544737
Was this upgrade a waste of time? Or am I missing something here? I was really hoping I could average 60fps on most new games, but I seriously can't see any significant improvements.
Here are my specs:
Phenom II x4 955
Gigabyte GA-MA790
4GB DDR2 Ram
Seasonic M12 80plus 500Watt. PSU

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Uninstall AMD Drivers
Install newest nVidia Drivers

Check GPU-Z that Link Width is x16
Unplug and replug GPU and GPU power cables

Run tests on high at 4xAA

TheBear

Uninstall AMD Drivers
Install newest nVidia Drivers

Check GPU-Z that Link Width is x16
Unplug and replug GPU and GPU power cables

Run tests on high at 4xAA

Still running like shit. Driver version is 8.17.12.8562 for the card.
Ran Device sweeper to clean up the AMD stuff. Don't know where Link Width is in GPU-Z, but in the "Bus" section it reads: PCI-E 1.1 x16 @ 16.11. I'm almost certain the 4890 was running quicker than this card :(

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Is 8.17 whatever the latest Drivers from the nVidia website?

Are there some Radeon Pro / D3D settings left around?
Can you find benchmarks from other users with your system?

4890 to 560Ti should be a noticeable jump unless you are overestimating what your 4890 did.

asa

Bought a new rig last week:
I7 2600k
16 gb ram
Gtx 570oc
Intel motherboard
Fractal blackpealr case

After few days of assmbly/tweaking I finally got it running properly and I'm really pleased with it. Tried metro 2033 on highest settings and the thing runs quite smoothly. I also do graphics design and videowork on the computer, so the extra power has been really nice, especially compared to my old rig ;)

Here's something I did last night for testing rendering speed and other stuff:
paloposti.jpg

TheBear

Is 8.17 whatever the latest Drivers from the nVidia website?

Are there some Radeon Pro / D3D settings left around?
Can you find benchmarks from other users with your system?

4890 to 560Ti should be a noticeable jump unless you are overestimating what your 4890 did.

I think I might have overestimated what the 560Ti was meant to be capable of. Is DX11 @ 60fps too much to ask of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom