• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Thanks for the heads up.

Will this be sufficient?

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/motherboardbundles/mbb-21204g.html

Or am i better biting the bullet and going for this?

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/motherboardbundles/mbb-34508a.html

Would you consider putting it together yourself? You'll get better parts than those bundles.

Cool. Everything has been ordered now. Feels kind of liberating.

Sweet :) now comes the fun of building it :p which 7850 did you go for in the end?

Jex

Just keep this on your clipboard, just in case.

Oh, I'm sure that I will feel like that tomorrow.
Sweet :) now comes the fun of building it :p which 7850 did you go for in the end?

I ended up with the 2GB one, mostly because of that human psychological fallacy thing. I forget what it's actually called - but essentially it goes that once you've already spent a large amount of money on something, any other incremental purchase on top of that feels small by comparison. Even though, out of context, you wouldn't think that way at all.

I guess that also explains upgrade creep.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Oh, I'm sure that I will feel like that tomorrow.

I ended up with the 2GB one, mostly because of that human psychological fallacy thing. I forget what it's actually called - but essentially it goes that once you've already spent a large amount of money on something, any other incremental purchase on top of that feels small by comparison. Even though, out of context, you wouldn't think that way at all.

$500 PC's easily become $900 ones.

$20 there, and there, and there, and there, and there... and there.

Jex

The only real joy I've enjoyed so far is having to explain to my bank that no, no one has stolen my card and that yes, I do want to spend that much money.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The only real joy I've enjoyed so far is having to explain to my bank that no, no one has stolen my card and that yes, I do want to spend that much money.
I know that feel.

At least you didn't buy from TigerDirect and have them say you are living in the wrong state and they can't ship to you after they deny your card twice.

kharma45

As long as it's one with a custom cooler say from Sapphire or Gigabyte you'll be able to get a decent overclock out of it.

I've my MSI TFIII one with a brilliant OC, it's at 1200/1450 but not all clock that well. Most will easily do 1GHz though.

Thraktor

If someone could help me out with my setup and stuff that needs to be replaced i would realy apreciate it.

My systems main purpose is to act as a Digital Audio Workstation and consists of the following components :

Thermaltake Shark casing
Enermax Galaxy 850 Watts power suply
ASUS P8P67 EVO (rev. 3) motherboard
2x4 GB Corsair XMS3 1600 memory
Intel i5 3570 processor
Scythe Mugen 3 cooling for processor
1000 GB Western Digital harddrive
500 GB Western Digital harddrive
ASUS 8800 GTX graphics card
Windows 7 64 Pro
Samsung DVD Drive
2 x Samsung SyncMaster2243 NW monitors @1680 x 1050
MOTU 828 MKII external soundcard (for my studio equipment)

Cubase 6.5 runs perfectly, GTA4 is very playable and i just finished playing Bioshock without any hickups whatsoever. Highest settings possible ofcourse.
Temperature is nothing to worry about sofar.

But apart from the obvious, what other components should i upgrade before games like SimCity 5 and GTA5 are available on this format and can be played in full HD on my tv without running in to any major problems?
Can a single graphics card feed my two monitors and/or my Panasonic 42" 3D Plasma at the same time/indepently ?
Do i need multiple, identical cards to run even more monitors, or can i use different cards? (only running one task at the time ofcourse : i.e. Cubase or game)

One problem i do seem to have with this refurbished system is that i cant get a DVD to play properly.
The picture is all messed up and the sound stutters in both VLC and WMP.
No problems streaming media from my laptop, or media from one of the harddrives.
And eventhough autoplay is turned on, when i pop a disc in to the drive the machine doesn't forward to a prompt wich asks me for the next procedure, wich does happen when i connect a USB stick or other periprihal.
DVD drive gone bad? It is about 6 years old but i can still use it, obviously.

Any usefull advice would me much apreciated!

You can certainly run multiple monitors off one graphics card. The number of monitors supported depends on the card, but some support up to 6 monitors if you really want to go crazy. The main issue is going to be finding a card with the suitable connections; the TV is fine because HDMI is pretty much standard on graphics cards these days, however the Samsung monitors might be a problem because a quick google search indicates that they're VGA only, which means you'll either need a card with two VGA ports and a HDMI port (which I doubt you'll find on a modern card) or one with two DVI/displayport and a HDMI, and then get a couple of DVI/displayport to VGA adaptors (this is the more likely scenario).

As far as multi-monitor support goes, apparently AMD GPUs will be the ones to look for. However, if you're planning to use the 3D feature of your TV, then a Nvidia card would be the better bet. In either case, simply buy a decent graphics card with the necessary ports in your price-range, and you'll be good to go.

Both GTA V and SimCity 5 should run fine with just a GPU upgrade. GTA V is a PS360 port, and even with Rockstar's poor record of porting to PC it should run fine on a 3570 and any modern graphics card. SimCity 5 might be more demanding on CPUs than GPUs, but it's impossible to know to what degree, so there's no point getting rid of your 3570 yet (which is a very good CPU, in any case). RAM should be plenty for both games. If you're looking for other stuff to upgrade, then an SSD for OS and frequently played games might be a worthwhile purchase.

No idea about the DVD problem, I'm afraid, are there any problems reading data DVDs?

Where were you yesterday, with your pessimism? I just placed my order with Overclockers!

didn't know you ordered already but also i see you fixed it so good luck.

Any problems you might have when building just ask in this thread since people are here to help

$500 PC's easily become $900 ones.

$20 there, and there, and there, and there, and there... and there.

Indeed :(

Pretty Much lol

demented

Guys I have a problem with my pc, I think it is a graphic card overheating but here's whats happening and hopefully someone can give me some solution or tips.

My card is ati 4870x2 which runs hot naturally, combine that with very hot weather we're having here, usually ~35-40 until late evening then ~25-30c at night. I had NO problems ever like this until I started playing Guild Wars 2 3 days ago. Basically I play it pretty much whole day and night and what happens is, usually late at night PC would just freeze, monitor goes on standby like PC is off, I hear music playing and if I restart monitor I'll just see cursor from game locked and then I have to restart on button.
Sometimes it will power right on, sometimes it starts making beeping noises.

I don't know what to do to avoid this, hopefully in the fall it won't be affected by weather as much but I don't know, I played some big games before and this never happened. Could it be GW2 problem or just weather+playing 10+ hours?

Oh and fan is at 100% all the time. I control it manually because auto is terrible, stuck at 27% until 70+c then go faster for minute and 27% again.
I have latest drivers, card became legacy few months ago so they don't come out often as before.

Gonna bump this, keeps happening.
What I did tonight was take the card out, cleaned it out with air blower and put it in again, didn't want to open it since I don't have new thermal paste.

Aaaand it almost happened again, didn't wait to find out if it will, I started seeing little artifacts on screen and that's sign of things to come.
I don't know why this is happening, if it's just GW2 related, checked the card temp and I don't think it's really overheating, during game it was ~80c

Any ideas?? Weather cooled down too so that's not the issue.

Has anybody ever heard of Windows 7 just restarting? No BSOD or anything, as of a week ago it has happened several times where I'll just be reading an article or something and boom, I'm back at my BIOS. I haven't had any crashing/restarting in ubuntu. Windows 7 is on a vertex 4 SSD (updated to the latest firmware), but I've only ever heard of bad SSDs giving BSODs. Is it worth looking into my SSD?

Anyone know anything about the Intel Core 2 Quad CPU's (Q8400)? Good for gaming? Its clock speed is 2.66ghz. Just kind of in the middle of trying to figure out the best method of upgrading so I know for sure what I need to get. I don't want to spend money on a GPU and discover that the CPU also needs upgrading.

Anyone know anything about the Intel Core 2 Quad CPU's (Q8400)? Good for gaming? Its clock speed is 2.66ghz. Just kind of in the middle of trying to figure out the best method of upgrading so I know for sure what I need to get. I don't want to spend money on a GPU and discover that the CPU also needs upgrading.

That CPU is very dated and you'll see plenty of benefit from upgrading the CPU and motherboard (and likely ram, if you're on DDR2).

What GPU do you have now? I would imagine if you did something like pair a GTX 670 with that CPU you would probably get respectable performance, of course the CPU would be holding back any modern GPU, but I don't think it would cripple it.

Try overclock that CPU and you'd probably be able to squeeze more life out of that thing.

Dipswitch

I've been using the next step up, the Q9550/2.83GHZ, for the last 4 years. Still seems to hold its own quite well in most games I've tried. I don't know how it compares to the i5/i7 generation however, but odds are it's getting a little long in the tooth.

EDIT: Beaten like the red headed step child of a mule.

kharma45

This is what I have (3 years old now) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113106

Only difference is that I put a Geforce 9500GS card in it because it was better than the card it came with.

Your GPU is much more in need of an upgrade than your CPU but it's kinda at the stage where it'd be worth doing both and just building a new rig.

If you don't want to spend that kind of money you could get a cheap but good performance boost from a 6850 and a good OC on your CPU.

I figured as much. I was THIS CLOSE to buying a new GPU about a week ago but then I started wondering about my CPU and if it would even be worth it. Instead of upgrading both I guess a new PC period would be the smartest route.

Noaloha

Is that Lucid Virtu MVP stuff a bag of pointless balls that's better left ignored? In real applications/gaming, I mean. The common consensus doesn't seem very positive from what little I've read.

It does seam a little high. Stock cooler ? Temps in the bios are typically higher then real temps. For CPU at least. But normally you should be around 40 ish at that ambient temp. Board seems a little high too. Not sure why. I got the same board and with an ambient of 27 degree it was hovering around 32. Maybe fan configuration ? Need more details.
BIOS temps are funny. Check in Windows using the utilities in the OP.
That should be fine. If I remember right for what ever reason your CPU is actually running full tilt when ever in the bios.
Thanks for the replies. The utilities from the OP still said 52 C and 36 C for CPU and chipset, respectively. The thermal paste was redone one more time and surprisingly the temps actually did go down to 44 C and 32 C. Maybe the Arctic Silver compound is more viscous than I initially suspected?

Love the help I'm getting from this thread. Now hopefully my game installs (2 more hours to go!)

Has anybody ever heard of Windows 7 just restarting? No BSOD or anything, as of a week ago it has happened several times where I'll just be reading an article or something and boom, I'm back at my BIOS. I haven't had any crashing/restarting in ubuntu. Windows 7 is on a vertex 4 SSD (updated to the latest firmware), but I've only ever heard of bad SSDs giving BSODs. Is it worth looking into my SSD?

Does the power light go out then it boots up?

If so i would check the Power Supply for any loose connections (for example the one leading to your SSD) or do some tests before jumping to the other parts (though its not happening in ubuntu makes it weird).

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
After getting my brother into WoW last week and guild wars this week, he has decided to sell his console and join the master race.

Building him a gaming PC similar to mine.

Intel Core i5-3570K
EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti SUPERCLOCKED 2048MB
MSI Computer Corp Z77A-G43
Corsair Hydro Series H100 (prob going to take this for myself and give him my fan lol)
Corsair 8 GB Vengeance Blue Low Profile
Corsair Vengeance Series C70 High Airflow Arctic White Mid-Tower Case
Corsair 600 watt power supply
SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 128GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 2 TB

All parts should be here by friday.

khefka

Neo Member
Haven't been keeping up with hardware since building my last (and current) computer, q6600/8800gt. I'm wanting to upgrade a bit and wondering what my best bet would be until I decide to get a new mobo/cpu/ram. I know my cpu would hold me back but I figure I'll still get better performance than what I have now, and will be more set for an upgrade soon.

Is the 560ti 448 best deal? This one on Amazon is about 210 after rebate- http://tinyurl.com/9e8jzlx
I'll have to check my psu to make sure I'll have the power, I do plan on removing 3 hdd's currently in my case and replacing with one large one though so that will hopefully free up some power.

Trying to find a good 2TB drive, not sure which one to pick up though what with all the random reviews. If anyone could link me to one on Amazon (want that quick shipping) that would be awesome.

CatPee

Haven't been keeping up with hardware since building my last (and current) computer, q6600/8800gt. I'm wanting to upgrade a bit and wondering what my best bet would be until I decide to get a new mobo/cpu/ram. I know my cpu would hold me back but I figure I'll still get better performance than what I have now, and will be more set for an upgrade soon.

Is the 560ti 448 best deal? This one on Amazon is about 210 after rebate- http://tinyurl.com/9e8jzlx
I'll have to check my psu to make sure I'll have the power, I do plan on removing 3 hdd's currently in my case and replacing with one large one though so that will hopefully free up some power.

Trying to find a good 2TB drive, not sure which one to pick up though what with all the random reviews. If anyone could link me to one on Amazon (want that quick shipping) that would be awesome.

Might as well grab a 7850. They're in the same price range and offer 570-level performance. Plus the extra VRAM helps a lot.

Nekrono

Updated my PC:

de5aeb011219e48baf35585104772c07076f4d5c.jpg

8c6ebd02eb114c8cacfced9abdb6da21c2237642.jpg

The parts I updated:

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Case: Corsair 600T White
Videocard: AMD HD 7970

I should be set for a few years now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Okay gaf, I'm actually going to build the computer I asked you all for advice on a couple of weeks ago!
Here's what my build has become (still aiming for that £500 sweet spot)
Hoping to build it in a week, so any final recommendations for changes would be great :D

If you don't need a DVD drive that could get you to £500. Ita easy to automatically include but worth thinking about.

And you might save some pennies on a lower power PSU, eg seasonic 520W. Don't need 600W for that setup. Any amount you get under £500, put towards an i5, might just squeeze it

(sandy bridge i5 might be cheaper)

CRS

While running memtest86+, is it normal to have fewer errors after each pass?

I had 62 after two passes and I have "only" 9 with it currently going through test 7, around 70% done through this pass.

I think most of the errors have to do with my overclocking so I'll probably reset the bios settings and see if that should clear the errors. My PC crashed earlier today while playing Borderlands and apparently it was during a save point because when it restarted, I launch Borderlands to find that my save file was corrupted. So I'm trying to go figure out what I can do to prevent my PC from crashing again. It was the first time that it's ever crashed during a game but I had Google Chrome running in the background and I think Chrome's memory use had something to do with it because it's crashed on me before while I was only using Chrome.

PC's have and have always had a pretty narrow "sweet spot" for price/performance. Buying anything outside that range, either up or down, is typically foolish.

I think spending a little more to get a lot better and longer lasting product when you're already spending a lot, as in a typical PC build, makes a lot of sense. If you think of it in terms of percent for example. By spending just 10% more money (rather than look at the raw dollars, say from $700 to $770 on the build), you often get a big performance edge. It is better to spend $770 and have a good build, than spend $700 and get a build that feels out of date quickly, cause then you just blew $700 that you cant get back.

That's why these cheap, say <$500 builds you often see touted as console busters at a cut rate price are fools gold imo. They may indeed trump a console, but they're typically garbage builds that will be outdated in no time, because they are below the sweet spot,

So basically, I dont advise cutting corners on a PC build.

Purchased.

Too bad. There are a couple 7870's floating on Amazon and newegg today for $219 no rebate. The newgg one comes with sleeping dogs. It isn't a fancy twin frozr model, but shit you wont be able to overclock that 7850 past a stock 7870 anyway best case.

Cannot beat it. GTX 580 performance for $220. If it were me I'd ebay Sleeping Dogs (not interested) and defray another 20-40 of the cost too.

khefka

Neo Member
Too bad. There are a couple 7870's floating on Amazon and newegg today for $219 no rebate. The newgg one comes with sleeping dogs. It isn't a fancy twin frozr model, but shit you wont be able to overclock that 7850 past a stock 7870 anyway best case.

Cannot beat it. GTX 580 performance for $220. If it were me I'd ebay Sleeping Dogs (not interested) and defray another 20-40 of the cost too.
Looks like they are all out of stock. Doubt my cpu would allow me to take much advantage of it over the 7850 regardless.

Protome

Looks like my university let their Dreamspark premium account lapse, meaning I can't get Windows for free.
Whelp, my build is well and truly overbudget now!

Dipswitch

Make sure Windows 7 isn't set to automatically restart (Check 'System Properties' -> 'Advanced' -> 'Startup and Recovery' and make sure 'Automatically Restart' is unchecked). That way when your machine crashes, you will see a BSOD with an error code you can begin to research.

kharma45

Wut. A properly OC'd 7850 can reach almost stock 7950 levels.

A 7870 of course would be a better buy if it was the same price but the 7850 isn't that much worse than it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom