• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

cametall

How is the Corsair Force Series GT 240GB compare to the Samsung 830 256GB SSD?

From what I've seen performance is quite good but it's hard to find good information on reliability. It's currently on sale on newegg for $190 and there is a $20 mail in rebate as well.

I think the Sand Force controller is the issue with the Force Series since it has had some serious reliability issues (see OCZ Agility/Vertex 3s).

The Samsungs and Crucials use different or modified controllers that tend to be more reliable, probably resulting in their more premium pricing.

EDIT: I think all the SSDs are fast and you'd probably be hard pressed to tell the difference in speed between the Samsung, Crucial, or any other brand. If I'm wrong someone please correct me :)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Just want to thank everyone for keeping the train rolling. :)
While running memtest86+, is it normal to have fewer errors after each pass?

I had 62 after two passes and I have "only" 9 with it currently going through test 7, around 70% done through this pass.

I think most of the errors have to do with my overclocking so I'll probably reset the bios settings and see if that should clear the errors. My PC crashed earlier today while playing Borderlands and apparently it was during a save point because when it restarted, I launch Borderlands to find that my save file was corrupted. So I'm trying to go figure out what I can do to prevent my PC from crashing again. It was the first time that it's ever crashed during a game but I had Google Chrome running in the background and I think Chrome's memory use had something to do with it because it's crashed on me before while I was only using Chrome.
Any errors = RMA time. Set your RAM voltage and timings manually in the BIOS if you haven't.
I think the Sand Force controller is the issue with the Force Series since it has had some serious reliability issues (see OCZ Agility/Vertex 3s).

The Samsungs and Crucials use different or modified controllers that tend to be more reliable, probably resulting in their more premium pricing.

EDIT: I think all the SSDs are fast and you'd probably be hard pressed to tell the difference in speed between the Samsung, Crucial, or any other brand. If I'm wrong someone please correct me :)
Pretty much this. The new controller has been a lot better, but it takes me a while to warm back up and the performance difference is pretty minimal. That's a good price and Corsair should take care of you if something goes wrong though.

Pretty much this. The new controller has been a lot better, but it takes me a while to warm back up and the performance difference is pretty minimal. That's a good price and Corsair should take care of you if something goes wrong though.

Just wanted to add to this that, in my experience, Corsair support really is incredibly good. When I built my last PC I felt really ill, wasn't concentrating enough and like an idiot I ended up snapping one of the stand-offs for the H100 mount. I contacted Corsair support, admitted fault and asked about a replacement. They shipped me an entirely new bracket kit for free with express shipping from the US to the UK. I think their initial reply to my email was in under 24 hours as well. Needless to say I was very impressed.

Thanks guys for the tips. I think I'll order the Corsair. The drive will be for applications so if something were to go wrong I wouldn't be losing anything that couldn't be replaced relatively easily.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thanks guys for the tips. I think I'll order the Corsair. The drive will be for applications so if something were to go wrong I wouldn't be losing anything that couldn't be replaced relatively easily.
I'd clone your old SSD to it anyway and just add on installations.
Just have a backup of it on your HDD.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Well, half of my PC is out on delivery for today, and the other half is still being wrapped up at Amazon.

ss_lemonade

But what about the physx and drivers? I dont know anything about these things, just that I want to play Witcher 2 at 60fps 1680x1050.
And all these options are giving me a headache...
That 7850 should be enough for witcher 2 @ that res. You could even go up to 1080p and still get good framerates

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If you think it'll give me a tangible increase in performance, I'll take the time.
Might be tangible, but I doubt it.
It's mainly because I'm lazy and just want everything on a single drive although separating them as OS / Apps is better. Screw picking install locations maaaaaaan.

Might be tangible, but I doubt it.
It's mainly because I'm lazy and just want everything on a single drive although separating them as OS / Apps is better. Screw picking install locations maaaaaaan.

Default installation location is the HDD for me, anyway. I have to pick install locations manually whenever I want to install something specifically on my SSD.

You can certainly run multiple monitors off one graphics card. The number of monitors supported depends on the card, but some support up to 6 monitors if you really want to go crazy.

First off, thanks for your reply and sorry for taking so long to respond back.
The idea for now is to run my 2 Samsung monitors and my Pana Plasma at the same time while using Cubase.
The TV is not a permanent connection as im going for at least 3 monitors in my studio setup in the near future. Think of the TV as third monitor, as a temporary solution.

The main issue is going to be finding a card with the suitable connections; the TV is fine because HDMI is pretty much standard on graphics cards these days, however the Samsung monitors might be a problem because a quick google search indicates that they're VGA only, which means you'll either need a card with two VGA ports and a HDMI port (which I doubt you'll find on a modern card) or one with two DVI/displayport and a HDMI, and then get a couple of DVI/displayport to VGA adaptors (this is the more likely scenario).

Thats how things are setup right now with my 8800GTX, with DVI to VGA convertor.
I don't mind visual quality loss whilst working with programs like Cubase, but i want my games to run as smooth as silk on my Plasma screen, thru HDMI.

As far as multi-monitor support goes, apparently AMD GPUs will be the ones to look for. However, if you're planning to use the 3D feature of your TV, then a Nvidia card would be the better bet. In either case, simply buy a decent graphics card with the necessary ports in your price-range, and you'll be good to go.

Thats excellent advice! I trust Nvidia's drivers the most, so that choice won't be too hard.
If it means that i have to install multiple cards to feed more than two or three monitors, then so be it.

Both GTA V and SimCity 5 should run fine with just a GPU upgrade. GTA V is a PS360 port, and even with Rockstar's poor record of porting to PC it should run fine on a 3570 and any modern graphics card. SimCity 5 might be more demanding on CPUs than GPUs, but it's impossible to know to what degree, so there's no point getting rid of your 3570 yet (which is a very good CPU, in any case). RAM should be plenty for both games. If you're looking for other stuff to upgrade, then an SSD for OS and frequently played games might be a worthwhile purchase.

No idea about the DVD problem, I'm afraid, are there any problems reading data DVDs?

That's actualy good to hear, since i wasn't to sure on the quality of the processor when i initialy ordered it.
Any advice on wich SSD look for and wich ones to avoid? New to this sort of technology to be honest.
The DVD drive can read, but i have to explore the contents of the discs to get things started. I installed several games and Cubase from disc this way aswell, without any problems.
Didn't take perticulairy long either.
Strange thing is though, when i first booted this "new" system with the Windows 7 disc in the tray, the OS installed right away without any hassle, noises, sudden restarts... nothing! I didn't even have to push a button during installation!
The only thing i touched was the power button!
Everything works just perfect, apart from the fact that i can't play any of my DVD's in a normal way.
I'm gonna install a new one in the weekend and update any made progress here.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out everyone!

NeoGAF unites and delivers!

Enlil

Have 2 GTX 570's laying about. Using my Asus as my main card (card is a beast) and may sell the Palit since my case is way to small for an SLI config.

i was suprised by the sizes of these cards, but the msi twin frozr 680 is really small compared to allot of 680 cards out there. 570 are pretty big yeah.

mil6es

OK not a PC but I'm looking for a laptop for around £500, not to fussed in the specs, my only concern is that it has decent cooling, hopefully something that doesn't vent from the bottom. Does anyone have any suggestions??

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
OK not a PC but I'm looking for a laptop for around £500, not to fussed in the specs, my only concern is that it has decent cooling, hopefully something that doesn't vent from the bottom. Does anyone have any suggestions??
First line of the first post.

ledman

I split between a Gtx 670 reference model and a Gigabyte HD 7950 windforce, I can get the Hd 7950 for less money.
I plan to play at 1080p and I open to the possibilty of overclock if needed.
What do you guys recommend?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I split between a Gtx 670 reference model and a Gigabyte HD 7950 windforce, I can get the Hd 7950 for less money.
I plan to play at 1080p and I open to the possibilty of overclock if needed.
What do you guys recommend?
No chance at a custom cooled 670?
7950 is a great card at the price it is now and will easily handle 1080p for a good while.

670 is a better value choice imo (FPS/$) when you get into that range, but either one will suit you just fine.

ledman

No chance at a custom cooled 670?
7950 is a great card at the price it is now and will easily handle 1080p for a good while.

670 is a better value choice imo (FPS/$) when you get into that range, but either one will suit you just fine.

Zero chance to get a custom cooled 670 right now.

I heard that the 7950 have a good room for OC, but i don't know if it can reach the 670 with a good OC.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
And about the drivers, all my previous cards have been Nvidias, most recent ATI drivers are good as the Nvidia drivers?
The AMD drivers have gotten a lot better, but still have a stigma.
Personally I still view nVidia's as better overall. Main thing being Day 1 support.

It's very very much less of a difference and unfortunate that I had an AMD card when RAGE came out.

ledman

The AMD drivers have gotten a lot better, but still have a stigma.
Personally I still view nVidia's as better overall. Main thing being Day 1 support.

It's very very much less of a difference and unfortunate that I had an AMD card when RAGE came out.

I think I gonna go with a EVGA GTX 670 FTW, is a little more expensive than a 7950 but the performance is great and I still get a free copy of Borderlands 2.
Thx for the help man.

This is sort of not PC related, but I got the Dell IPS that someone recommended in the mail today, and I'm just wondering, what's the best method of connecting a game console (360/PS3) to this thing? It doesn't have an HDMI port. Would I need to get an HDMI>DVI dongle or something? Would that give me the best quality?

Sorry for sort of the off topic question.

Stubo

This is sort of not PC related, but I got the Dell IPS that someone recommended in the mail today, and I'm just wondering, what's the best method of connecting a game console (360/PS3) to this thing? It doesn't have an HDMI port. Would I need to get an HDMI>DVI dongle or something? Would that give me the best quality?

Sorry for sort of the off topic question.
Am I doing it right US GAF?

Really though, I expect a DVI to HDMI cable will be your best bet.

Ponn

Banned
hey pc gaf, I need some help. I just got my new Asus A537 laptop, upgraded the ram to 8GB but cannot find the software in windows to OC the cpu. It's at 1.5 per core now and everyone on the feedback says they OCed it but the only thing i'm finding is to lower it. I tried looking in bios but theres no option. Do I have to download that 3rd party software to do it? I need it to show 2ghz per core for work. Thanks.

Installed my very first SSD a few days ago and I still can't get used to how fast everything has become! I can never go back to having my OS on a regular mechanical drive now. :p

However, I've been putting off getting a DVD or BRD drive ever since I built my rig a few months ago. I'm leaning towards a BRD drive since I have quite a few blurays I'd like to watch on my PC (even though I have a PS3). Should I grab one or stick with a regular DVD drive?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
looks like I got my Motherboard, Power Supply, Vid Card, RAM and CPU Cooler

Now just need my CPU, case and storage to get here!

Done a little research, and I think I can do this, but I'll ask anyway:

When I get to the initial OS install, can I install right away to the SSD (say I've only put in an SSD and no other storage)?

Also, I've read that it's possible to do a clean install from a windows 7 upgrade? I was going to install a full copy of Vista, then upgrade to W7, but if this is possible, that's a step saved.

Stubo

looks like I got my Motherboard, Power Supply, Vid Card, RAM and CPU Cooler

Now just need my CPU, case and storage to get here!

Done a little research, and I think I can do this, but I'll ask anyway:

When I get to the initial OS install, can I install right away to the SSD (say I've only put in an SSD and no other storage)?

Also, I've read that it's possible to do a clean install from a windows 7 upgrade? I was going to install a full copy of Vista, then upgrade to W7, but if this is possible, that's a step saved.
This is what I did, the day before my media drive even turned up. I don't see why this would be a problem :)

stn

Hey folks, total PC newbie here. Got some questions...

I got a laptop with 8GB of RAM, Geforce 630M 1GB video card. The processor is some quad-core or whatever. Would I be able to run current-gen games at least on high? I've been looking into games like Street Fighter x Tekken, LA Noire, Crysis: Warhead, and others.
Also, might over-heating be an issue??? Is there any way for me to figure out whether I can run these games??????

Thanks so much!

kharma45

I got a laptop with 8GB of RAM, Geforce 630M 1GB video card. The processor is some quad-core or whatever. Would I be able to run current-gen games at least on high? I've been looking into games like Street Fighter x Tekken, LA Noire, Crysis: Warhead, and others.
Also, might over-heating be an issue??? Is there any way for me to figure out whether I can run these games??????

Thanks so much!

What sort of resolution? I'm gonna chance it already and say no going by this for most games.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-630M.63761.0.html

There is this tool to see if you can run stuff http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx but it's not the best. There was a better one posted at one stage but I can't remember what it was.

Edit - This is the site here http://www.yougamers.com/

So I am shopping for a UPS battery for my gaming PC. I am constantly tripping the breakers so I would like some protection. A couple questions for those in the know. Forgive me if I say something stupid.....I know nothing about this.)

1. Would a 500 watt UPS be ok for a gaming PC that has a 700w power supply or do I really need to match them?

2. Generally how long does their power last?

3. Is it possible it will help average out my power intake to limit how often I blow my breaker?

Here are a couple I was looking at.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842106115

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102070

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102082

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3260287&CatId=234

Thanks so much!

On high at 30fps? For most games, at 1080p that would be a no, but reducing the resolution (say to 720p) you should be OK for many games.

Anustart

Thought I'd post this wish list here. I'm building a new pc in 2 weeks time, and wouldn't mind being able to save some scratch if anyone was selling any parts I'd be interested in.

Looking for:

Case - Would spend $100 for a good one.
Video card - Looking to spend 250$-ish.
1tb 7200 rpm hdd
Any reliable ssd, had a crucial before, loved it. - Spending 100$ -ish

I'm not pulling the trigger until the 14th of september, so it would be 2 weeks until payment, but never hurts to start looking early.

Anybody? I cant seem to find anything that fits.

Here we are. Select the games you care about at the resolution you game at. BF3 for example runs at 66fps in single card, and 126 in SLI. The average scaling is lower than that (rougly 66%) but for games with proper SLI support (which are mostly the kinds of games you want SLI for i.e. graphically demanding) the scaling is great.

It does look like my 80-95% scaling was misinformed. Apologies.

mkenyon

Banned
Thought I'd post this wish list here. I'm building a new pc in 2 weeks time, and wouldn't mind being able to save some scratch if anyone was selling any parts I'd be interested in.

Looking for:

Case - Would spend $100 for a good one.
Video card - Looking to spend 250$-ish.
1tb 7200 rpm hdd
Any reliable ssd, had a crucial before, loved it. - Spending 100$ -ish

I'm not pulling the trigger until the 14th of september, so it would be 2 weeks until payment, but never hurts to start looking early.
Check out hard forum and overclock.net. I'll keep my eye open though.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but is there a cheap version of this cable?

nav_acc_qd_cable.png

legacyzero

Banned
Here we are. Select the games you care about at the resolution you game at. BF3 for example runs at 66fps in single card, and 126 in SLI. The average scaling is lower than that (rougly 66%) but for games with proper SLI support (which are mostly the kinds of games you want SLI for i.e. graphically demanding) the scaling is great.

It does look like my 80-95% scaling was misinformed. Apologies.
There it is! AWESOME!

Thanks. I'll probably be getting a second one.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Microsoft Action Pack only gives out upgrade keys for Windows? The fuck? When did they change that?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

cackhyena

I think I'm settled on the 660Ti now. My only question is what brand to get? I have an ASUS mobo, so would it just make sense to go with ASUS' version?

cackhyena

Okay, well with that out of the way, this will be my first nVidea card. Are there higher quality branded ones to look out for? I just see a lot of names slapped on these things I don't' recognize. The ASUS one is 5 bucks more but I trust the brand...*shrugs*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom