• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBig

Okay, well with that out of the way, this will be my first nVidea card. Are there higher quality branded ones to look out for? I just see a lot of names slapped on these things I don't' recognize. The ASUS one is 5 bucks more but I trust the brand...*shrugs*

Asus/Gigabyte/MSI are all really close to the same in terms of cooling performance.

Addnan

My PC is a bit old now and getting some money next month so been looking at some parts and wanted some opinions. I have maybe £1000 at most to spend.

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V
CPU: i5 3570k
Mem: 8GB Corsair vengeance.
Case: Corsair c70
GPU: EVGA 660ti
and a corsair 650w psu.

Any changes I should make? and the usual HDD, DVD drive etc.

Ledsen

So I have a 2500k overclocked to 4.5 GHz. Currently running a CM Hyper 212 fan. I believe it's running at 1600 rpm. When stress testing with Intel Burn Test I believe it got up to around 70C tempterature. Could anyone advice me on a new, quieter fan? Does it have to be as fast or could I go down in RPM without going up much in temp? What IBT should I aim for? Thanks!

My PC is a bit old now and getting some money next month so been looking at some parts and wanted some opinions. I have maybe £1000 at most to spend.

and a corsair 650w psu.

Everything looks fine to me, but you should add a CPU cooler if you want to OC. You should also have enough in your budget to pick up a decent SSD for your OS and a few programs. Otherwise, you've chosen pretty common, but excellent, components.

So I have a 2500k overclocked to 4.5 GHz. Currently running a CM Hyper 212 fan. I believe it's running at 1600 rpm. When stress testing with Intel Burn Test I believe it got up to around 70C tempterature. Could anyone advice me on a new, quieter fan? Does it have to be as fast or could I go down in RPM without going up much in temp? What IBT should I aim for? Thanks!

IBT unrealistically stresses the CPU, no need to change any components due to an IBT test. Additionally, 70C is not a bad temp for 4.5GHz.

Addnan

Everything looks fine to me, but you should add a CPU cooler if you want to OC. You should also have enough in your budget to pick up a decent SSD for your OS and a few programs. Otherwise, you've chosen pretty common, but excellent, components.
Thank, will get a cooler to overclock.

Also never really looked at SSD before, Would something like this be good enough. There seems to be even cheaper options like OCZ octane. Will they do, or aim for something a little pricier?

kharma45

and a corsair 650w psu.

For £1000 you'd be able to do better than that GPU

3570K from Amazon for £174.94

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007RUZKK6/

8GB of Corsair Low Profile RAM from Amazon for £37.98

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00569K7LM/

Samsung F3 HDD from eBuyer for £66.10

http://www.ebuyer.com/173804-samsung-1tb-spinpoint-f3-internal-hard-drive-hd103sj

Corsair TX650 from Amazon for £69.99 (or you can save £20 with this 550w Antec PSU which would still power this rig fine)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004O0P9TO/

BitFenix Shinobi case from Amazon for £49.90

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004ULZA82/

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler - £25.90 from Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0068OI7T8/

Samsung DVD writer from Ebuyer for £12.99

http://www.ebuyer.com/342873-samsung-sh-222bb-sata-dvd-write-optical-drive-oem-sh-222bb-bebe

Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard from Amazon for £126.64

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007KZQEGC/

Up until this point the build is costing £564.44 including delivery which leaves you quite a bit left over for a GPU. You can easily afford something like a 7970 or a 670 and throw in an SSD as well like the Samsung 830.

So if it were me I'd add in the following

Samsung 128GB 830 SSD from Amazon for £78.09

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007BBQPUA/

After that you're left with £432 to spend on a GPU

For £320 you can get a Gigabyte 7970 GHz edition with a free copy of Sleeping Dogs from Overclockers https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-097-GI

Or a 670 for £300 from Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0083SEWJG/

Both of those options leave you enough money to buy Windows if you need it.

Addnan

^ Thanks for posting, stop tempting me to spend more money! Will look into the 670, see if its worth the extra money. Will also buy that SSD.

Does 3rd party coolers come with thermal paste, or would I need to buy that separate. Never installed a different heat sink, still rocking the stock E8400 heat sink lol.

kharma45

^ Thanks for posting, stop tempting me to spend more money! Will look into the 670, see if its worth the extra money. Will also buy that SSD.

Does 3rd party coolers come with thermal paste, or would I need to buy that separate. Never installed a different heat sink, still rocking the stock E8400 heat sink lol.

Yeah have a look into the 670, it'd be my choice out of the two but I'd edge towards the 7970 out of all, as with Sleeping Dogs coming with it for free you could even sell it and take it down to £300.

scogoth

Sorry, this is what I need.

acc_a30_dualjackpc_pdp.jpg

Its a cable for a mic and headphones.

Looks like its for an astro gaming headset so no there isn't a cheap version. You would need to buy it from astro.

Wut. A properly OC'd 7850 can reach almost stock 7950 levels.

A 7870 of course would be a better buy if it was the same price but the 7850 isn't that much worse than it.

7850=1024 SP's @860 mhz
7870=1280 SP's @1000mhz

Seems to me you've got to OC the 7850 at LEAST from 860>1100 to match the stock 7870. And I just read an review where I think they maxed their 7850 at 1140 mhz.

But I dont pretend to be an overclocking expert. If you're one of those nuts who's all "if I up the voltage just another .0001 I think I can push it to 1347 mhz with only blue screens every week or so!" types yeah you can probably beat the stock 7870.

Check out Newegg's Labor Day deals:

http://www.newegg.com/DailyDeal.aspx?name=DailyDeal&cm_sp=Dailydeal-_-adlink-_-08312012

http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemai...MC-IGNEFL083112-_-EMC-083112-Index-_-E0-_-All

Some nice stuff there for those looking to build/upgrade a PC.

XFX 2GB 6950 with Deus Ex 3 and Dirt 3 - $199.99
Acer 23" LCD Monitor - $129.99
Asus 24" LCD Monitor with a $30 gift card - $169.99 (after $10 rebate)
Samsung F3 1TB - $69.99
Corsair V2 500w PSU - $49.99 ($24.99 after rebate)
Lite-on DVD Burner - $16.99

kharma45

7850=1024 SP's @860 mhz
7870=1280 SP's @1000mhz

Seems to me you've got to OC the 7850 at LEAST from 860>1100 to match the stock 7870. And I just read an review where I think they maxed their 7850 at 1140 mhz.

But I dont pretend to be an overclocking expert. If you're one of those nuts who's all "if I up the voltage just another .0001 I think I can push it to 1347 mhz with only blue screens every week or so!" types yeah you can probably beat the stock 7870.

There isn't a massive amount in it between a stock 7850 and a 7870 http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/549?vs=548, say roughly 20% on the whole.

The 7850's can OC just as high as the 7870's, the only performance difference between the cards is that the 7850 has 20% fewer shaders. Like with the 6850 vs 6870 and 7950 vs 7970, shader counts alone do not majorly affect performance. Clock speeds, ROP's, Memory bandwidth etc. mean that a few missing shaders make little real difference.

Many reviews show a 7850 overclocked to 1050MHz equalling a stock 7870 @ 1000MHz. That mean clock for clock a 7870 is only very slightly faster.

Stock speeds
Stock 7870 = 1000/4800
Stock 7850 = 860/4800
difference = ~20%

before GPU Tweak allowed unlocking average overclocks
OC 7870 = ~1250/5600
OC 7850 = ~1050/5600
difference = ~25%

with GPU Tweak unlocked overclocks
OC 7870 = ~1250/5600
OC 7850 = ~1250/5600
difference = 6-8%

The 7850 with a good third party cooler like the Twin Frozr 3 can usually hit 1200MHz with a voltage tweak (mine is fine for 1200/6000 at 1.185v) which is taking it up to stock 7950 levels.

RS4-

Bah, I want to run a PLP setup but I don't think there's anything comfortable with using a 24" 1080 screen in the middle. I don't think the 17"s line up (1024) and having something like a 20" (1050) is too tall when in portrait.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Since I just got a 7850, which seems like a fine card standalone, and with good OC possibilities, is it still not (or probably not) good enough to run say, Simcity or other future games?

It was cheap enough that I can see myself getting another 7850 in the future for Crossfire. I assume then it should run most anything from now until at least September 2nd, 2012???

kharma45

I just ordered a z77 mobo from newegg, is there any reason I shouldn't order this cpu? It looks like the best bang for the buck.

Don't get that, spend the extra on the 3570k. It's the same price at both Newegg and Amazon

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504&Tpk=3570k

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007SZ0E1K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The K mode will let you overclock and you'll also get more for it if you wanted to sell it.

Since I just got a 7850, which seems like a fine card standalone, and with good OC possibilities, is it still not (or probably not) good enough to run say, Simcity or other future games?

It was cheap enough that I can see myself getting another 7850 in the future for Crossfire. I assume then it should run most anything from now until at least September 2nd, 2012???

The 7850 will handle Sim City fine I'd imagine (it'll be more CPU heavy than GPU heavy I'd guess), and yes it'll last another 2 days perfectly fine :p

Lonestar

Don't get that, spend the extra on the 3570k. It's the same price at both Newegg and Amazon

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504&Tpk=3570k

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007SZ0E1K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The K mode will let you overclock and you'll also get more for it if you wanted to sell it.

The 7850 will handle Sim City fine I'd imagine (it'll be more CPU heavy than GPU heavy I'd guess), and yes it'll last another 2 days perfectly fine :p

OUTSTANDING! :p

Ugh, Amazon still hasn't shipped the rest of my PC. They really mean it when they say September 4th-September 10th. Guess that's Free Shipping for you. $30 bucks is too much shipping for my blood, but I kinda wish I did that, instead of waiting through the long weekend (when I have time to build the thing).

kharma45

OUTSTANDING! :p

In all seriousness with a good OC on it the 7850 should be a very competitive card for a good while, and two in Crossfire would be very potent for the price although my own preference is always just one single card but depends on the cost I guess.

RS4-

Argh fuck, tempted to grab a 670 FTW from someone for under 400 bucks. Or I just man up and get a Gigabyte one for around 430 with BL2.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Any feedback on a ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 being paired with a 3570k?

The mobo is on a semi-special with Newegg.

t-ramp

Any feedback on a ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 being paired with a 3570k?

The mobo is on a semi-special with Newegg.
Is there something in particular you're concerned about?

Anyway, just ordered two 6870s for some reason. I'd like to get Crossfire working on my old AM3 setup, which might lead to an Intel setup at some point because my Phenom II X4 945 will be a bit of a hindrance...

t-ramp

If I get a GPU with only 1gb, what's the downside compared to 2?
Using higher resolutions loads more textures and stuff into the VRAM, so there's potential for decreased performance if you run out of space. It's not entirely clear how much impact there is, though, from what I can tell. You can alleviate this by decreasing texture size and other settings, but if you can otherwise run the game fine that's not desirable, of course.

Stubo

... Currently running a CM Hyper 212 fan ... Could anyone advice me on a new, quieter fan?

Corsair SP quiet edition, noctua nf-f12, scythe GT AP-14, Noise blocker, or BitFenix Spectre Pro.

Thanks! Going with the F12 since it's in stock at my local online store and sounds great from a quick google.
Oh guys...I thought I was over my temptation to buy any more fans now my case fans are fitted, you're dragging me back under :(

Lonestar

Yay, Amazon has shipped the rest of my PC.

EST Del. Date: September 4th

..... :/

It's in Tennessee, I'll Drive up there and get it!

I've decided that I will clone my old SSD to my new SSD using Windows 7 backup and restore. From what I've read it should do the job.

The steps are to:

Create System Image
Create a System Repair Disc
Remove old SSD
Boot from the System Repair Disc
Restore Image on new SSD
Reboot from new SSD

Anything I should be aware of?

Salaadin

If I have a wireless device (gamepad, in this case) and I plug the receiver into a USB 1.1 port and have connection issues, might I see any improvement in connection if I plug the receiver into a USB 2.0 port?

CatPee

Hmmm, all of a sudden my reference MSI 670 decides to idle at ~50C instead of the usual 35C for some reason. However, in gameplay it's still at the same temp range it was before (65-75). Is it something I should be worried about?

t-ramp

If I have a wireless device (gamepad, in this case) and I plug the receiver into a USB 1.1 port and have connection issues, might I see any improvement in connection if I plug the receiver into a USB 2.0 port?
It's possible, I suppose. What kind of computer are you using that has USB 1.1?

Hmmm, all of a sudden my reference MSI 670 decides to idle at ~50C instead of the usual 35C for some reason. However, in gameplay it's still at the same temp range it was before (65-75). Is it something I should be worried about?
Did you add a second monitor or anything? I'd check to see if the card is downclocking like it should.

Salaadin

Did you add a second monitor or anything? I'd check to see if the card is downclocking like it should.

My motherboard supports USB 2.0 and all the back ports are USB 2.0 but its in an Antec 900 case. If I remember correctly, when I bought the case, the front USB ports were only USB 1.1 at the time. Im not at home to check the spec sheet and verify but Im just brainstorming here at work and figured Id ask. Looking at when USB 2.0 was released, theres a good chance Im mistaken here.

I have a new Logitech F710 wireless controller that loses its connection intermittently and can be quite annoying. It seems to be a common enough problem with this controller from what Im reading online but, before I go and return it, Im trying to cover all my bases.

I already contacted Logitech to try for a new receiver. Ill swap in some new batteries tonight and try my back USB ports as well and see if I get anywhere.

CatPee

Closing all my webpages seems to fix it. Seems like there's a certain page or pages that's pushing the GPU for some reason (none are particularly graphics-intensive at all).

EDIT: Yup. Nvidia Inspector's showing that it's not downclocking at all with my ~20 Chrome tabs open. Closing them seems to allow it to downclock properly.

Soy

Neo Member
Ah, I have a question for my fellow Gaffers in here.

I have a P8P67 Pro. I don't know how, or why, but when I tried to turn it on this morning, it didn't. Went through the whole ordeal of checking if my button was even working, things plugged in, etc. It powers on without the 8-pin so I figured something must've shorted somewhere, thus I took it out and tried to turn it on again. No dice. These boards have a record of various problems so I figured it's a goner.

Now my question is: Should I bother RMAing it, or just buy a new Z77 board?

I have a 570 and a 2500K so I think they should be fine moving into one if I were to do so.

donny2112

Some nice stuff there for those looking to build/upgrade a PC.

Corsair V2 500w PSU - $49.99 ($24.99 after rebate)

So is this a good deal to buy, if I'm looking to buy a < $200 GPU sometime in the next year?

$25 seems like it'd be perfectly justifiable to buy early, but 1) I'm almost a n00b at any PC upgrades and 2) don't have familiarity of the "good" brands of power supplies (so don't know if this is a good brand or not).

Edit:
After reading Newegg reviews, will probably just wait until a new PSU is actually needed. Since the OP recommends the Antec one, that'd probably be the frontrunner to choose whenever a new PSU is actually needed, as well. :)

XFX 2GB 6950 with Deus Ex 3 and Dirt 3 - $199.99

Also, don't care about the games with this, at all, but was wondering if there were usually these types of deals (in terms of $200 or less price for mid-range(?) GPU) or better at Black Friday/Christmas season. Just wondering what people with much more experience watching these sales than me have to say on it. :)

Thanks!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Hey guys I'm trying to set up a way to stream console games but I have a lot of questions that hopefully you guys can answer. I know this isn't the proper place to do it but this is the closest thread i know where i can get my questions answered and it's relevant. If you need my specs I have the following

i7-3770k
z77 sabertooth
GTX 670
no audio
750 PSU
8GB 1600 RAM.

So my question is, what capture/stream card do you guys suggest?
Do I need two computers to stream? How about capture?
I've seen some cards come with VGA and HDMI, and not two HDMI? doesn't this mean that one output isn't going to have sound?
Do I need two monitors to stream? How about Capture?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So my laptop is 60hz, but my tv is 120 hz. I connect it to my tv, but i get some choppiness at times during stuff like Walking Dead. When I go to change the hz on the tv, it only goes up to 60. I tried updating the driver through control panel, and I looked on Samsung to see if I was missing any drivers.

Any ideas?

MrBig

So my laptop is 60hz, but my tv is 120 hz. I connect it to my tv, but i get some choppiness at times during stuff like Walking Dead. When I go to change the hz on the tv, it only goes up to 60. I tried updating the driver through control panel, and I looked on Samsung to see if I was missing any drivers.

Any ideas?

Disable any post processing features, turn off the 120hz interpolation, and turn on "gaming" or "PC" mode if available. If you're talking about your gpu only recognizing the TV as 60hz, that's because it is; it only interpolates frames to 120hz.

derder

Any ideas?

TVs don't have native 120hz support.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any reason to spend the 80$ and get a retail windows 7 license or am I good to go with a 99$ Oem one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom