• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Now that it comes time to order I'm having a really hard time deciding if I want to risk one of the Korean monitors, after spending so much money on the PC already it would be terrible to get a bad one. On the other hand I want to put my 7970 to good use!

Thanks!

And no. I dont think I'll be going any higher than 1080. At least for now. Unless supersampling is involved i guess?
Both of you should go with 120hz monitors. Next Gen now.

legacyzero

Banned
Both of you should go with 120hz monitors. Next Gen now.
What's the difference? I'm kinda in the dark when it comes to how good/bad monitors are in relation to my new build..

Any recomendations for price/performance that works great with what I listed above?

GAF, I need your help again. I was happy with my choice for a new hard drive, but now I discover that I won't just be able to use for editing as easily. Which of these two would be best to connect a Seagate Goflex through firewire 800 to a mac without usb 3.0. I need it to be as portable as posible.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FreeAgent-GoFlex-Desktop-Adapter/dp/B003KGBBRM/ref=lh_ni_t

or

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FreeAgent-GoFlex-Upgrade-FireWire/dp/B003IT6PHC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Better options are welcome (don't just tell me to buy a LaCie rugged, though).

MrBig

Now that it comes time to order I'm having a really hard time deciding if I want to risk one of the Korean monitors, after spending so much money on the PC already it would be terrible to get a bad one. On the other hand I want to put my 7970 to good use!

Do it! It's so worth it.

Yes absolutely.

Confirmation! Thanks.

1080p at 27" is relatively bad in terms of DPI for monitors. You can even get one of the cheaper Korean 1440p monitors for that price.

cackhyena

1080p at 27" is relatively bad in terms of DPI for monitors. You can even get one of the cheaper Korean 1440p monitors for that price.
Asus monitors are known for little lag/latency...whatever. Used a lot at fighting tournaments and all. I know Asus, I don't even know what you are referring to when you say Korean, let alone the quality of it.

And why is it fine for tvs at that resolution but not monitors? Honest question.

Ceebs

Asus monitors are known for little lag/latency...whatever. Used a lot at fighting tournaments and all. I know Asus, I don't even know what you are referring to when you say Korean, let alone the quality of it.

And why is it fine for tvs at that resolution but not monitors? Honest question.

He is talking about the ones like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CROSSOVER-27Q-LED-High-Resolutio-n-2560x1440-QHD-DVI-D-Dual-S-IPS-27-Monitor-/110867210291?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item19d0336033

It's the exact one I have and from the same seller. I could not be happier with it.

It is the same panel as the $1000 Apple Cinema Display just without the brand name and swank bezel etc.

As for your TV, you sit far enough away to where you can't see individual pixels. Go sit in front of your TV like you would a PC monitor and you should be able to pick out each pixel.

So I've been waiting to upgrade my HDDs for awhile now.

This is what I have now.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 ST2000DL004 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

ASUS P8P67 (REV 3.1) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0

I'm looking to upgrade to a SSD that is 128gb or more.

Also is it worth it to buy a new 2TB hdd that is Sata 6.0 and 7200 rpm over what I have?

I'm guessing the sata 6.0 wont matter at all for the mechanical hard drives.

I would probably just get a nice SSD and your current HDD's are fine as data drives. That ecogreen is 5400 RPM I'm assuming (newegg doesnt actually say that I can tell), so 7200 would be faster, but just as a data drive not sure you'd notice. But if you want more speed and the price is right, you can get a 7200 RPM.

If I'm understanding your post correctly, it's a little confusing.

Here's a review I found on your ecogreen
From a performance standpoint, like most "green" models, the F4 is relatively slow compared to 7200 RPM drives. Boot and loading times are a step behind, and when copying small files it can only beat 2.5" variants. Copying large files is the one area in which it excels, its one saving grace. We wouldn't employ it as a boot drive to hold an operating system and applications for daily use, but it is almost perfect for media storage. Retailing for between US$100 and US$110, it is also extremely affordable.

Personally I'd get a SSD, junk the 250GB drive, and just go SSD OS drive Ecogreen Data drive for simplicity.

If you want SSD recommendations I'm sure they're in the OP. Just go Samsung (830), Intel (not sure whats current from Intel), or Crucial M4 (I have and so far it seems great) imo.

Celcius

°Temp. member
That's okay. There are better choices out there that won't limit you to noisy reference video cards anyway.

I received an email today from Silverstone saying that it works fine with the asus gtx 680 dcii top, which is the card I'm looking at. I guess it's ok since the heat pipes all run in the same direction.
Of the dozen or so cases I've used in the past two years, the raven 2 and ft02 were my favorites. (best performance and lowest noise)

legacyzero

Banned
does someone have that 'i've made a huge mistake' gif since i might need it :(
I felt that feeling this morning when I finally pulled the trigger on my order.

It goes away and the excitement comes back shortly after.

EDIT:
oh and:
huge-mistake.gif

AndyD

aka andydumi
Any feedback on the noise level of the stock fan in a 3570k? If its acceptable, i'll stick with it, I have had good history with Intel coolers. If loud, I'll get a 212. I would like to get an idea before asembling, as I hate changing coolers once on a chip.

Any feedback on the noise level of the stock fan in a 3570k? If its acceptable, i'll stick with it, I have had good history with Intel coolers. If loud, I'll get a 212. I would like to get an idea before asembling, as I hate changing coolers once on a chip.

Certainly not loud, but temps are pretty average with it. I'd say go with the 212, if only for the lower temps.

Celcius

°Temp. member

It's definitely worth it to invest a few more bucks so you don't have to use the stock cooler.

I'd be curious to know what percentage of people actually use the stock cooler permanently lol

It's definitely worth it to invest a few more bucks so you don't have to use the stock cooler.

I'd be curious to know what percentage of people actually use the stock cooler permanently lol

With a 3570K? I'd say a decent amount, seeing as its good enough for stock clocks. With lower end procs it's probably a considerably higher percentage with the stock cooler. The higher end procs are where the amount of people using stock coolers drops like a cliff.

I'm guessing the sata 6.0 wont matter at all for the mechanical hard drives.

I would probably just get a nice SSD and your current HDD's are fine as data drives. That ecogreen is 5400 RPM I'm assuming (newegg doesnt actually say that I can tell), so 7200 would be faster, but just as a data drive not sure you'd notice. But if you want more speed and the price is right, you can get a 7200 RPM.

If I'm understanding your post correctly, it's a little confusing.

Here's a review I found on your ecogreen

Personally I'd get a SSD, junk the 250GB drive, and just go SSD OS drive Ecogreen Data drive for simplicity.

If you want SSD recommendations I'm sure they're in the OP. Just go Samsung (830), Intel (not sure whats current from Intel), or Crucial M4 (I have and so far it seems great) imo.

Thanks for the info. I would definitely use the SSD as a boot drive and put my primary games on it (GW2, D3, BF3). I have my entire steam library on that 5400 rpm. I'm just trying to figure out if its worth the load time with a 7200 rpm vs the 5400 rpm

Hoplatee

I have a question regarding partitions and the speed.

Situation - 3 partitions. C: (OS) on SSD. D: and E: on 2 TB HD. D is 500 gig, E 1.33 TB.

I have some data to backup that is spread out over D and E. I use my Hard Drive bay slot (I think you call it that) that is on top of my case (another 2TB old HD). Now the weird thing happens - when I move files from D to that HD it goes really fast. Like, 70MB/s to 90 is not unusual. However from E it only goes at... 10 to 15. Is there any explanation for this? Google told me not much apart from that 'E might be on the outside or inside of your HD so it would go slow'. Is there any truth in that? Or is there any other explanation? For what it is worth I don't run any indexing, programs or anything.

And how can I prevent this in the future? Just make 1 partition? I really don't use them wise so I figure it would be best to just make 1 big partition when I reinstall Windows? Idea was to just use D for important stuff, E for Steam/other garbage but I ended up being lazy so it all got mixed up anyway.

It is not a big deal since it is only around 200 GIG but it makes me wonder why it is so slow from one partition while crazy fast from the other. Stuff like that annoys me :p

edit : It really is something with E. If I copy over a file from E to D and then copy it is fast as well.

MrBig

Is there any explanation for this? Google told me not much apart from that 'E might be on the outside or inside of your HD so it would go slow'. Is there any truth in that?

Yes. It's a physical limitation of HDDs. Partitioning a new drive like you did is the best route to go so that you can segregate one partition off that won't be as far back on the discs and thus take less time to be access by the heads.

To prevent it in the future don't consider an HDD as a viable option. It wont be too much longer until SSDs overtake them in price and capacity.

cackhyena

He is talking about the ones like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CROSSOVER-27Q-LED-High-Resolutio-n-2560x1440-QHD-DVI-D-Dual-S-IPS-27-Monitor-/110867210291?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item19d0336033

It's the exact one I have and from the same seller. I could not be happier with it.

It is the same panel as the $1000 Apple Cinema Display just without the brand name and swank bezel etc.

As for your TV, you sit far enough away to where you can't see individual pixels. Go sit in front of your TV like you would a PC monitor and you should be able to pick out each pixel.
I don't know, man. I don't see anything wrong on my current 22 inch monitor here at 1080p. I hear nothing but good things and it's a name I trust.

Hoplatee

Yes. It's a physical limitation of HDDs. Partitioning a new drive like you did is the best route to go so that you can segregate one partition off that won't be as far back on the discs and thus take less time to be access by the heads.

To prevent it in the future don't consider an HDD as a viable option. It wont be too much longer until SSDs overtake them in price and capacity.

Thank you! I was planning on buying another SSD soon so that is cool.

Partition 1 would always be faster than 2 if I understand it right? No matter the size? So in theory if I made D the 1.33TB partition it would be faster than E? (after format/remaking partitions)

Not that it would matter when I have another SSD since then it will just be 1 big 2tb partition but eh!

MrBig

Partition 1 would always be faster than 2 if I understand it right? No matter the size? So in theory if I made D the 1.33TB partition it would be faster than E? (after format/remaking partitions)

Where the files are physically located is the important part. The first thing that is written to an HDD is closest to the heads, so if you have a partition set up it reserves that area of the discs completely for that partition. Just like if you have cows in a huge field they'll all be spread out over it but if they're penned in a smaller fenced area they'll be closer together. Having a big partion as the first one would somewhat negate the effect.

Hoplatee

Where the files are physically located is the important part. The first thing that is written to an HDD is closest to the heads, so if you have a partition set up it reserves that area of the discs completely for that partition. Just like if you have cows in a huge field they'll all be spread out over it but if they're penned in a smaller fenced area they'll be closer together. Having a big partion as the first one would somewhat negate the effect.

Perfectly clear now. Thanks. :)

My BIOS clock is slow and it's messing up my time on the PC. Would the clock acting up like this also lead to lock ups and such?

I have an Asrock Z68 Xtreme 4 Gen 3 mobo less than 1 year old. Doesn't seem right....

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I felt that feeling this morning when I finally pulled the trigger on my order.

It goes away and the excitement comes back shortly after.

EDIT:
oh and:
huge-mistake.gif

So Good, and thankfully, *knock on wood* I've managed to skirt disaster and have a complete success on the build.

coldfoot

Banned
This baby's mine at the end of the month when they ship:
296595_267987323318550_1560488695_n.jpg

Not bad for 400 bucks, with VGA, DVI-D, HDMI and DisplayPort inputs + US warranty + zero bad pixel guarantee.

zeelman

My GTX 460 SE is not handling games as well as I'd like it to, so I'm considering an upgrade to an AMD 7850 or 7870. I play games like Diablo 3, Skyrim, GTA IV, STALKER, and The Witcher 2. I'd like to play these games and others like Guild Wars 2, Max Payne 3, and Borderlands 2 at High settings without significant slowdown. Monitor resolution is a modest 1440x900.

Other System Specs
FX 6100
8 GB DDR3 Memory
Corsair 700W PSU

Lulubop

Any notable 120hz monitors on the horizon? I'm looking for one that supports nvidia 3d vision 2 as well. I'm not a fan of the Benq, or a 27" at 1080p. Does Asus have any plans to release a 23" version the VG278HE?

Hawk269

Not bad for 400 bucks, with VGA, DVI-D, HDMI and DisplayPort inputs + US warranty + zero bad pixel guarantee.

I have been checking their site on and off for the last few months. It looks like it is getting close. Please report back when you get one as I am looking at getting one myself.

Ty4on

I received an email today from Silverstone saying that it works fine with the asus gtx 680 dcii top, which is the card I'm looking at. I guess it's ok since the heat pipes all run in the same direction.
Of the dozen or so cases I've used in the past two years, the raven 2 and ft02 were my favorites. (best performance and lowest noise)

Shame there aren't more cases like them. Two big fans blowing cool dustfree air at the GPU and CPU? Yes please!

Planning to watercool it down the road? :p

nickcv

ok guys following the guide in the op i came up with this build.

MB 1155 ASRock Z77 Pro4 (ATX)

CPU Intel Core i3-3220 BOX 3.3GHz 3MB Soc.1155
GPU PCI-E Sapphire HD7870 2GB
RAM DDR3 PC1600 8GB CL9 Corsair kit (2x4GB)

power supply 450W LC-Power LC6450 V2.2
Hard Disk 3,5 1000GB Seagate ST1000DM005
ASUS DRW-24B5ST Retail black
Case Miditower 430W Techsolo Oversea MO-04

for a total of 639€

do you think it's ok? isn't the GPU too powerful for the CPU i'm using?

Ceebs

I would wait for some other people to take the plunge first. All those inputs would make me wary of input lag.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
@_@
SFX powersupplies are SMALL! I just got that brand spankin' new silverstone modular 450watt little guy.
So close to piecing together my build. I just keep flip flopping back and forth on how much money I want to spend on flash storage.
My gut is saying just to do 512 across two drives, but my brain is saying to do a terabyte and then just never worry about it ever again. Its HUGE financial leap going from one to the other, over 25cents more a gigabyte i think. But then theres also the nerdboner part of it.

Beepos

So I have an i7-930 cpu from awhile ago (18mths or so) I just got a new 670 gtx but how does my cpu stack up these days to what's been released?

Is it still a decent processor? I think I have OC it to 3.2Ghz or something.

Knowledgable minds let me know thanks :)

So I have an i7-930 cpu from awhile ago (18mths or so) I just got a new 670 gtx but how does my cpu stack up these days to what's been released?

Is it still a decent processor? I think I have OC it to 3.2Ghz or something.

Knowledgable minds let me know thanks :)

It's still fine for this generation of GPUs but you could do better with that OC. Aim for 3.8-4.2. I have an i7 920 at 4.2ghz in my HTPC with a GTX 670 and it works fine.

I'm looking into buying the parts to build my first gaming rig for my birthday. It's something that I have wanted to do for the past couple years, but I have only gotten minor suggestions/help from a few friends and from reading through this thread. My ideal rig would be one that could handle the handle the latest PC Games (AA isn't too big of a factor for me yet), could stream while playing games, could handle Dolphin emulation (AA and IQ higher than 1080p, again, aren't that big of a factor for me yet), and I might even dabble in some video editing down the line. I want this to be a PC that will last me a few years without upgrading, but it will mostly be for gaming, streaming, all around use, etc.

Here's what I have gathered together so far with the help of some other people:

ibqK9PxwhDtufW.PNG

I originally had a Rosewill 550W Power Supply on this list, but it was discontinued. Any other suggestions for an alternative would be great.

I was also considering getting an SSD. At first, it didn't sound like it would be that necessary. However, the almost universal praise of them here on GAF has turned my view around. I was looking into the Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD). Are the 64GB ones too little or should I go higher? Any suggestions/recommendations are welcome. :)

I'm hoping to start ordering over the weekend so I'd love to hear any tips or suggestions for part changes. I'm hoping for this experience to go as smoothly as possible. I'm both nervous and excited!

If you're proactive about your spacing, a 64gb SSD will be fine. However starting at least at a 120gb will give you much more breathing room.

kharma45

I'm looking into buying the parts to build my first gaming rig for my birthday. It's something that I have wanted to do for the past couple years, but I have only gotten minor suggestions/help from a few friends and from reading through this thread. My ideal rig would be one that could handle the handle the latest PC Games (AA isn't too big of a factor for me yet), could stream while playing games, could handle Dolphin emulation (AA and IQ higher than 1080p, again, aren't that big of a factor for me yet), and I might even dabble in some video editing down the line. I want this to be a PC that will last me a few years without upgrading, but it will mostly be for gaming, streaming, all around use, etc.

ibvzCVr4BtyWdW.PNG

I originally had a Rosewill 550W Power Supply on this list, but it was discontinued. Any other suggestions for an alternative would be great.

I was also considering getting an SSD. At first, it didn't sound like it would be that necessary. However, the almost universal praise of them here on GAF has turned my view around. I was looking into the Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD). Are the 64GB ones too little or should I go higher? Any suggestions/recommendations are welcome. :)

I'm hoping to start ordering over the weekend so I'd love to hear any tips or suggestions for part changes. I'm hoping for this experience to go as smoothly as possible. I'm both nervous and excited!

I'd trade up to a 3570K and for an SSD I'd go for a Samsung 830. Size wise 64GB will be fine for the OS but you'll not store much on it, say games, so if you can afford it go 128GB as it's better value for money. No motherboard in that build?

PSU wise take a look at this Antec BP550 Plus 550W www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016&Tpk=antec bp550 plus

Swap your HDD too for a Samsung F3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

mkenyon recommends this Samsung RAM very highly too iirc http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096 and by the reviews online I found from a quick Google search rightly so! Only other thing I'd look at would be the GPU and consider the 7950. Not saying to swap as the 660 Ti is a good card but worth having a look at it.

HooYaH

ibqK9PxwhDtufW.PNG

Not quite sure if you need a motherboard or live in the states, but Newegg currently has a promo with the purchase of an Asus P8Z77 (LK, V, Pro..) which includes G.Skill Ares 8GB 1600 Ram for free.

I'd trade up to a 3570K and for an SSD I'd go for a Samsung 830. Size wise 64GB will be fine for the OS but you'll not store much on it, say games, so if you can afford it go 128GB as it's better value for money. No motherboard in that build?

PSU wise take a look at this Antec BP550 Plus 550W www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016&Tpk=antec bp550 plus

Swap your HDD too for a Samsung F3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

mkenyon recommends this Samsung RAM very highly too iirc http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096 and by the reviews online I found from a quick Google search rightly so! Only other thing I'd look at would be the GPU and consider the 7950. Not saying to swap as the 660 Ti is a good card but worth having a look at it.

I'd heard that the 2500K was still a great little processor that could get a lot out of overclocking (I don't have any experience with that yet). I'm not aware of what else it has that makes it great aside from being cheap for a processor. Is the jump from a 2500K to a 3570K really worth it aside from the 3570K having .1Ghz over the 2500K and it being not much more expensive?

Other than that, thanks for the 550W recommendation. I'll add that and will check out the HDD later today.

HooYaH said:
Not quite sure if you need a motherboard or live in the states, but Newegg currently has a promo with the purchase of an Asus P8Z77 (LK, V, Pro..) which includes G.Skill Ares 8GB 1600 Ram for free.

Yeah, I quickly fixed my mistake of not adding a motherboard onto that list right after I posted it. Thank you! I switched the old Asus for an ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard in my cart. I love promotional sales!

I'll post an updated list after I switch some things around later today.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Had a minor panic.

Last night I got an email from Scan.co.uk with a delay notice. Saying due to volume problems in the warehouse my order was delayed. I called today at lunch as I need Saturday delivery and they told me I'd get next day from whenever they actually posted it. The guy on the phone said it turned out the DVD Drive went OOS, but had come back in today and will make sure it gets picked and posted today for tomorrow delivery.

Phew, panic over. Got my text and email confirmation of the shipping being sent too. Only one thing though, they said "OK Yeah we'll add Saturday delivery at no extra cost", i'm thinking yeah, I should hope so when I've already paid for Saturday delivery o_O

Just waiting on conf. from Ebuyer and OcUK now too but I think they're under way. Ebuyer's on "Pick In Progress" as standard for the day before, OcUK haven't really said anything but I ordered from them first and it's confirmed DPD Saturday.

EDIT: @MKENYON Is your job building these rigs or something? Just curious as to why you seem to be building so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom