• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatPee

ok guys following the guide in the op i came up with this build.

MB 1155 ASRock Z77 Pro4 (ATX)

CPU Intel Core i3-3220 BOX 3.3GHz 3MB Soc.1155
GPU PCI-E Sapphire HD7870 2GB
RAM DDR3 PC1600 8GB CL9 Corsair kit (2x4GB)

power supply 450W LC-Power LC6450 V2.2
Hard Disk 3,5 1000GB Seagate ST1000DM005
ASUS DRW-24B5ST Retail black
Case Miditower 430W Techsolo Oversea MO-04

for a total of 639€

do you think it's ok? isn't the GPU too powerful for the CPU i'm using?

If you never intend on upgrading to a K processor or overclocking at all, you can grab a cheaper H77 mobo. If you do plan on upgrading in the future to something like a 3570K, grab the Z77 Extreme4 instead.

GPU/CPU is fine.

I just replaced my OS drive with the 256gb 830 yesterday. Holy Shit is it fast, everything just pops open basically instantly. Was nice that it came with Norton Ghost as well, made moving my OS drive over really simple and easy.

Assuming you were running off an HDD before, tranferring over the install can result in many problems. Would've been best to reinstall, just a warning to anyone else who wants to use Norton Ghost or MS Backup to tranfer over an OS installation.

kharma45

I'd heard that the 2500K was still a great little processor that could get a lot out of overclocking (I don't have any experience with that yet). I'm not aware of what else it has that makes it great aside from being cheap for a processor. Is the jump from a 2500K to a 3570K really worth it aside from the 3570K having .1Ghz over the 2500K and it being not much more expensive?

Other than that, thanks for the 550W recommendation. I'll add that and will check out the HDD later today.

2500K is still a great CPU but for the sake of $10 the 3570K is the better buy imo, it's slightly more powerful and you get some stuff like PCIe 3.0 and whilst nothing is using it yet I'd still rather have it than not have it for such a little price difference. As for overclocking, it's extremely simple :)

With the money saved on the HDD if you get the Samsung F3 HDD the 3570K is an easy enough upgrade to justify imo.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Certainly not loud, but temps are pretty average with it. I'd say go with the 212, if only for the lower temps.

It's definitely worth it to invest a few more bucks so you don't have to use the stock cooler.

I'd be curious to know what percentage of people actually use the stock cooler permanently lol

Thanks guys, I think I'll jump on the 212. I am seriously thinking to make this my TV connected Steam box eventually so if its cooler it should be quieter. Good stuff.

Assuming you were running off an HDD before, tranferring over the install can result in many problems. Would've been best to reinstall, just a warning to anyone else who wants to use Norton Ghost or MS Backup to tranfer over an OS installation.

People claim this shit all the time, have not run into a single problem with it. I know quite a few people who have done the same thing and have not run into a single issue with it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
People claim this shit all the time, have not run into a single problem with it. I know quite a few people who have done the same thing and have not run into a single issue with it.

I have too, using an imager. No issues. Now if we talk building a new PC and just moving the hard drive over, that's a different matter.

scogoth

I have too, using an imager. No issues. Now if we talk building a new PC and just moving the hard drive over, that's a different matter.

There used to be issues with partition alignment when transferring from HDD to SSD. Almost all transfer software and cloning software is aware of this and corrects alignement issues when moving to an SSD now.

There are other reasons to do fresh install but there are no issues with transferring from HDD to SSD

mkenyon

Banned
EDIT: @MKENYON Is your job building these rigs or something? Just curious as to why you seem to be building so much.
I build a lot for teammates and friends/family, but the stuff I post is all personal projects. Most of my builds are just transferring parts from one case to another though. But, I do get free parts for build logs and the like. Not that it pays for it, it just makes the hobby less burdensome.

coldfoot

Banned
I would wait for some other people to take the plunge first. All those inputs would make me wary of input lag.
Korean monitors from eBay with the same inputs and the now discontinued Auria monitor from Microcenter with the same inputs have no discernible input lag according to the other people who took the plunge first.

I didn't buy this to play games anyway, I use my TV for that, saves on GPU requirements and cost :)

Quick upgrade question:

Currently running:
Athlon II X3 435, 4 gigs PC1600 DDR3, and the Radeon HD4890.

The framerate in Dark Souls was decent enough until I got to Blighttown. I think the culprit is my processor - the 2.9 ghz clockspeed is shy of the recommended 3ghz.

Do you think that upgrading to the Phenom II 965BE would solve this problem? People are telling me I should just save my money for a complete overhaul, but the way I'm seeing it, I could spend about $90 for what appears to be a 45% gain across the board, and spare me labor of unplugging everything.

PCIe 3.0 does not appear to be offering much gain over 2.0 at the moment (barely 10%?), and I already use the same RAM, so why not get the most out of my old socket AM3 mainboard? When on a budget, is it really so much more cost effective to spend nearly $300 for a socket LGA system when it appears as though these Phenom II systems, with decent vid cards, are getting the job done?

In the end, I'd just really like to know if I can expect Dark Souls to always be at 30fps with that proc upgrade, or if you think there is some other culprit. I'm hoping it's the proc and not my 4890. Right now, the only thing I do not want is to spend the money, only to see Dark Souls run the same way.

kharma45

Quick upgrade question:

Currently running:

The framerate in Dark Souls was decent enough until I got to Blighttown. I think the culprit is my processor - the 2.9 ghz clockspeed is shy of the recommended 3ghz.

Do you think that upgrading to the Phenom II 965BE would solve this problem? People are telling me I should just save my money for a complete overhaul, but the way I'm seeing it, I could spend about $90 for what appears to be a 45% gain across the board, and spare me labor of unplugging everything.

PCIe 3.0 does not appear to be offering much gain over 2.0 at the moment (barely 10%?), and I already use the same RAM, so why not get the most out of my old socket AM3 mainboard? When on a budget, is it really so much more cost effective to spend nearly $300 for a socket LGA system when it appears as though these Phenom II systems, with decent vid cards, are getting the job done?

In the end, I'd just really like to know if I can expect Dark Souls to always be at 30fps with that proc upgrade, or if you think there is some other culprit. I'm hoping it's the proc and not my 4890. Right now, the only thing I do not want is to spend the money, only to see Dark Souls run the same way.

Do you have a custom cooler installed on your CPU? You could try overclocking it if you do, from reading around you should be able to get it up to 3.5GHz at worst, Tom's Hardware had theirs stable at 3.77GHz

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-ii-x3,2452-4.html

Was the 435 one of the CPUs where you could unlock a fourth core too?

t-ramp

Quick upgrade question:

Currently running:

Honestly, I wouldn't buy a brand new 965BE. That's like three-year old tech at least, so you should be able to find a pretty good deal on a used one somewhere. Wherever you get one, you'll end up with a decent, but aged, system. If you can afford another ~$200 in the near future, the $90 could go toward an Intel motherboard and then a 3570K or something for a partial overhaul. The 4890 is probably fine.

Edit: Actually, used AMD processors seem oddly expensive still.

Okay, here are the current parts that I have listed up now after the changes.

ilZBuxKG4JcWX.PNG

ibeW2zTxfAO1ih.PNG

Now there doesn't seem to be a way to remove the G.SKILL 8GB RAM as it is a promotional pack-in with the Asus motherboard. I was going to replace it with the Samsung 8GB RAM that kharma45 recommended, but I can't find a simple way to just remove the G.SKILL and replace it with the Samsung while also keeping the Motherboard. What's the benefit to just getting both RAM sticks?

t-ramp

Okay, here are the current parts that I have listed up now after the changes.

Now there doesn't seem to be a way to remove the G.SKILL 8GB RAM as it is a promotional pack-in with the Asus motherboard. I was going to replace it with the Samsung 8GB RAM that kharma45 recommended, but I can't find a simple way to just remove the G.SKILL and replace it with the Samsung while also keeping the Motherboard. What's the benefit to just getting both RAM sticks?
Well, I don't think you can remove the RAM. It's free, so there's nothing lost I suppose. You'll have to decide if you want to spend another $45 for the Samsung RAM when the G.Skill sticks would work fine. You could resell the G.Skill set or look for a more desirable motherboard deal, like one with a rebate or something...

Whooter

Korean monitors from eBay with the same inputs and the now discontinued Auria monitor from Microcenter with the same inputs have no discernible input lag according to the other people who took the plunge first.

It's been discontinued? My local MC has a crapload in stock. Should I be thinking of grabbing one before they're gone?

MrBig

It's been discontinued? My local MC has a crapload in stock. Should I be thinking of grabbing one before they're gone?

No, they've got a quite a few issues. Terrible build quality and they had a timing issues that could result in a vertical split in the panel.

kharma45

Well, I don't think you can remove the RAM. It's free, so there's nothing lost I suppose. You'll have to decide if you want to spend another $45 for the Samsung RAM when the G.Skill sticks would work fine. You could resell the G.Skill set or look for a more desirable motherboard deal, like one with a rebate or something...

Oh if the RAM is free then just stick with it.

Oozer3993

So here's the rig I've settled on as my shoestring budget gaming PC:

Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor G860 3.0 GHz 3 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80623G860
Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB PCI-E Video Card (100315L)
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500w Power Supply (RS500-PCARD3-US)
BIOSTAR H61MGC LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
NZXT Technologies Source 210 Computer Case (Black)
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache
Corsair XMS3 4 GB 1333MHz PC3-10666 240-pin DDR3 Memory Kit for Intel Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD CMX4GX3M1A1333C9

After rebates, it will come out to around $415.

How does it look? Did I make any newbie mistakes?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Updates to the OP are almost done, but probably won't go up until Mon/Tues. Hopefully Sunday.

Busy doing a tournament and sending out tons of emails, sorry :(

Ok so a couple questions, does a CPU generally come with a heat sink, do I need to buy a cpu cooler, and do the parts come with the cables I'll need or will I need to buy certain cables on their own? I apologize if any of these are really dumb/obvious questions, but I have no idea what I'm doing

Xdrive05

Is there anything worthwhile coming out until January (ex: video card), or am I better off upgrading now?

Next week the new Intel CPUs, codenamed Haswell, will be revealed (or at least talked about), but they won't be out until next year I believe.

Ok so a couple questions, does a CPU generally come with a heat sink, do I need to buy a cpu cooler, and do the parts come with the cables I'll need or will I need to buy certain cables on their own? I apologize if any of these are really dumb/obvious questions, but I have no idea what I'm doing

as long as you buy a retail/boxed version it will come with a cooler, buying used, etc may vary.

Buying a aftermarket CPU cooler is usually for some purpose the stock cooler wont be able to provide or provide well enough (eg giving cooler temperatures while overclocking, sounding quieter, etc)

Most of the times the parts will come with the things you need. You just have to do some research and see if the part you want has the stuff included (one of the reasons i like newegg is because they always have info for that.).

Ok so far this is what I've got

CPU= Intel Core i3-2120 3.3ghz
Motherboard= Asus P8H61-M LE/CSM (REV 3.0) Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
GPU= Asus Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card
Memory= Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage= Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Case= NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply= Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply

Considering forgoing an optical drive, may add one if installing win7 from usb seems too difficult. I was also thinking of just using my tv as a monitor using an hdmi, as I'm gonna be using this solely for games. Am I completely wrong in doing that?

kharma45

Ok so far this is what I've got

CPU= Intel Core i3-2120 3.3ghz
Motherboard= Asus P8H61-M LE/CSM (REV 3.0) Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
GPU= Asus Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card
Memory= Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage= Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Case= NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply= Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply

Considering forgoing an optical drive, may add one if installing win7 from usb seems too difficult. I was also thinking of just using my tv as a monitor using an hdmi, as I'm gonna be using this solely for games. Am I completely wrong in doing that?

Is there much of a price difference between the i3-2120 and the Ivy Bridge i3s like the 3220 and 3225?

Installing Windows via USB is a piece of cake btw :)

coldfoot

Banned
Searching their website, it's not available on their web store and generally unavailble in most stores. I very much doubt they're getting any more new shipments in and just burning through the few available stock.

This is what I'm looking at getting:

computerparts1.png

computerparts2.png

Thoughts? I pretty much followed the hazaro spreadsheet completely.

Let me know if the images are too big and I'll try to fix them.

GAF I need some help. My PC is now showing that no audio device is installed. It is an integrated Realtek ALC892. In the BIOS the on-board audio is enabled. I have installed new drivers for the audio - realtek 2.70. I have also rolled back to 2.67. In the device manager, i have 8 listings fro nvidia high definition audio. I have also done a system restore to 3 days ago. The device stopped working today. I would hate to do a full restore and wipe everything but if it comes to that I will. I am just hoping someone on GAF has dealt with this before.

Is there much of a price difference between the i3-2120 and the Ivy Bridge i3s like the 3220 and 3225?

Installing Windows via USB is a piece of cake btw :)

You know I'm not sure I'll check that out, my main concern is not having a traditional monitor, am I gonna run into major resolution issues?

Edit: just checked out the ivy bridge i3, the website said certain H61 chipset motherboards might need a bios update for ivy bridge, is that something I can do after installing the CPU, or would I need the update prior to that?

CRS

GAF I need some help. My PC is now showing that no audio device is installed. It is an integrated Realtek ALC892. In the BIOS the on-board audio is enabled. I have installed new drivers for the audio - realtek 2.70. I have also rolled back to 2.67. In the device manager, i have 8 listings fro nvidia high definition audio. I have also done a system restore to 3 days ago. The device stopped working today. I would hate to do a full restore and wipe everything but if it comes to that I will. I am just hoping someone on GAF has dealt with this before.

Right click on the sound icon on your taskbar and click on Playback devices. Set one of the various options to default and see if you start hearing something. Hopefully it works.

Do you have a custom cooler installed on your CPU? You could try overclocking it if you do, from reading around you should be able to get it up to 3.5GHz at worst, Tom's Hardware had theirs stable at 3.77GHz

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-ii-x3,2452-4.html

Was the 435 one of the CPUs where you could unlock a fourth core too?

It is. Thank you. I will be going this route instead of replacing it with the Phenom II. I am probably going to use a Coolermaster HyperEvo 212 fan and heat sink to do it, but if anyone recommends something different in that price range (something that is quieter?), please let me know.

Actually, used AMD processors seem oddly expensive still.

Yeah, good lord. I was not happy when I looked at ebay, etc. It's like we're treating processors as being rare, sealed copies of Sega Saturn games now.

Right click on the sound icon on your taskbar and click on Playback devices. Set one of the various options to default and see if you start hearing something. Hopefully it works.

none of the devices listed in the playback tab let me set it as default. they all say not plugged in. all are digital audio (hdmi). No audio jack speaker option. I have now tried to install the audio driver multiple versions and now I at least show those 8 Digital Audio devices in the playback now, it wasn't there before. i have kind of come to the conclusion that i will have to do a full wipe and restore...

XAL

**** me
I think I need to buy a new friggin mobo.

I have an ASUS P8Z68-V PRO and have been using it for a year and up until last sunday, it worked perfectly.

My HDD failed the s.m.a.r.t. test so I bought 2 harddrives and set up a RAID 1.
I setup/installed windows and right when I'm about launch Windows for the first time...the computer turns off.

Upon restart I get a solid red light on the VGA_LED.

I've tried pulling everything off the mobo except the essentials, no dice. I tried pulling EVERYTHING off the board to check for shorts and I tried resetting CMOS, but the light persists.

I mean, I've done everything I can possibly do to fix it...right?

***EDIT SOLUTION***
If you did everything that I did, your shit is broken.

GAF, I have an issue.

I recently purchased a gtx 690 and when after I installed it, the card came on and fans were spinning however all I got was a blank screen. I decided to reinstall my gtx 670 to have it alongside my 690 to troubleshoot.

When I used my 670, I went to device manager and saw that the 690 has exclamation points, after I click on it, it went away and when I went into properties it told me the device was installed properly. However when I tried to connect my mini display to hdmi to it, it once again was not working.

When I decided to go back to Device Manager I right clicked on the 690 and choose to rescan the hardware, when I did the 690 disappeared from the manager! Is it my card?

I tried updating the bios and drivers for my MSI motherboard (PG) and it seems as though I am already up to date.

Any help is appreciated, i am about to return this thing...

paskowitz

American Express is having a 30% off sale on everything in their reward points store. I have roughly 116k points. I am debating getting a PC from their selection. Given the discount I can spend roughly the equivalent of $800. Considering I already have a monitor (1920x1080), keyboard, mouse and speakers all I need is the desktop. I am willing to spend $100-200 extra if need be, but not much more than that essentially make $1000 or 200k points (before 30% off) my limit.

In terms of gaming the follow brands are offered: Alienware, Cyberpower, CyberpowerPC, Cybertron, Dell, HP and IBuyPower. Which one of these offers the best value for money? If one of these makes a stand out PC for ~$1k, what model? If you have access to the shopAmex store and can see what they offer, what would you recommend in my price range?

I do not think I will be able to get all the parts I would need to make my own PC from their reward program and it is likely that such a method would not be cost efficient (but I will have to search out each component). Their as is options seem to be relatively competitive with normal retail prices. I also just do not have the time to build my own PC.

As far as what matters to me. I would like to be able to run pCARS and eventually Assetto Corsa at as close to max settings as possible (light AA) @60fps. BF3 would be the only shooter and for that I would only want it to run better than console (which should not be too hard). The ability to upgrade components at a latter date is also very important to me (I would like to go triple screen in the future). Things like hard drive space and speed are less important.
Many thanks.

whelp... wiping and re-installing everything didn't take care of the issue. MOBO is still under warranty so at least I have that to fall back on if I can't find out why its not detecting the on-board audio device.

benjobong

Neo Member
So, I decided to build a PC for the first time, budget of £700-750. Between this thread and advice from friends, I'm currently thinking of this:

Overclocked bundle from overclockers (£330):

- CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40GHz @ 4.40GHz Ivybridge CPU
- Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G43 Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
- RAM: Samsung Green 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11 1600MHz Dual Channel
- Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalem CPU Cooler w/ x2 Tech Labs Zaward 2000RPM 120mm Fan
- Artic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

Then the rest of the components as per pcpartpicker:

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V200 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£64.78)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£57.23)

Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card (£119.62)

Case: BitFenix Merc Beta (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£25.51)
Power Supply: Corsair 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£52.92)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer (£13.98)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) (£72.96)

Total: £737

As some of these choices were made at random, I was hoping gaf could tell me if I've made any stupid decisions. Is an overclocked bundle worthwhile, or should I man up and learn to do it myself? Are Sata-III drives that important? Are OCZ SSDs really that bad? Is that power supply enough/too much?

Ryan_

Just a quick question,

I'm on the verge of buying my new pc parts but just to be safe...

My i5-3570 and GTX660 Ti will run smoothly powered by a OCZ Pro 500 Watt?

Radec

Hey gaf,

Any desktop user here who uses a wireless 802.11n pci card ?

I have a 802.11g and like to know if switching to N is worth it.

PS: Wired is out of the question for me so don't bring it up.

Soodanim

Hello ladies and gentlemen. My name's Mike, but my friends call me Big Mike. My current PC has parts such as an AMD Turion 64 ML-34 running at 1.8gHz (single core), 1GB RAM, and an ATI Radeon Xpress 200. Naturally, I'm running Windows XP. I can't even smoothly watch a 720p video, and the library of PC games I have due to those alluring Steam sales (amongst others) is at around 70 games, if I recall correctly. Naturally, given my pitiful computer, I am unable to play most of these. Of course, this just won't do, and I will be living in this thread before long.

But first, I need to take care of a few furniture issues, including finding a new desk. I need one that is in a walnut colour, with dimensions of roughly 60-75x100cm. I think a simple desk is fine, as complexities limit my options. I also need a chair. Does anyone have any recommendations? If not, fuck it. I'll just make one. Can't be difficult, right? Oh, and I also need a chair. I'm in the UK, by the way.

edit: I'm going to be watching benjobong's build closely, as I was thinking of the £600-700 range myself.

It's exciting as hell building a new PC @_@

I've been carefully planning my purchases for a few weeks now. Heading to Fry's later to pick up the final components to my build (3570k/Asus P8Z77 MOBO).

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
URGENT ISSUE

Built the new rig, but when I turn it on the psu makes this terrible grinding sound, everything stops, then it powers on and continues as normal. Its currently installing windows.

What could be causing this? The pSu is at the back bottom of the case with the fan pointing down and it's a corsair TX650w (non-modular)

EDIT: It's stopped doing it now. To clarify it happened for 3 seconds then stopped. My only minor concern now is that everything powers on, stops, then kicks into gear. Is that cool?

i'm confused guys. is there any tangible difference between 212+ and 212 EVO?

Anyone used both? 212+ is cheaper right now
i know CM sucks w/ rebates, but still
and I could get an extra fan as well.

I do have 'high profile' RAM, but i've seen people can do it...just with VERY little clearance.

I have a 2500k (stock clocks right now), with four of these and one 140mm fan that came with the case (CM)

TL:DR - 212+ or 212 EVO and what would be a good extra fan to get?

Thanks GAF!

Does anyone have this case?

http://www.corsair.com/pc-cases/graphite-series-pc-case/graphite-series-600t.html

Thoughts?

Is there a good way of finding out what hardware will fit in what case, for a complete novice? I plan to build in the Corsair 600T but sizes are a little confusing to me.

If I posted a mock build, would someone be able to tell me if the 600T will fit those components, or tell me the best way of finding out that information by myself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom