• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

legacyzero

Banned
A guy at Frys suggested that tower for me. I may pick it up. The Shinobi looked pretty cool too.
Such an awesome case! My only complaint is the top being kind of cheap. So I'd be careful of that. I have a 2 yr old too. So I have to keep that closed. That's all I need is spilled milk in my rig lol

Just reposting this for the new page:

I see people are talking about their 3570K overclocks and wanted some further input on mine.

At 4.4Ghz after 2 hours of Prime95 stress testing, I'm getting:

uHMiT.png

2kcqF.png

Temps look great to me, and the voltages seem good too. Offset is currently +0.020 and Load-Line Calibration is set at High (50%). Fan is running at 80% at those temperatures, is that too aggressive a fan curve?

I'm currently using a P8Z77-V PREMIUM and a Hyper 212 Evo. Thinking of pushing to 4.5-4.6Ghz but I heard that IB gets very hot under 4.5+. Should I go for what seems to be a marginal difference in performance for a large increase in temps? If so, increase offset and LLC or just offset?

mkenyon

Banned
So I'm downloading drivers for my build for tomorrow night and I have some questions.

The Newegg HowTo is telling me that I only need 4 types of drivers for my MOBO:

-Chipset
-Lan
-Audio
-USB

Yet, the Asus site has alot more than that. Will I need to download all of those too?
Nope, just those ones. Graphics driver too. After those are done, run windows update. If there is still stuff missing after that, then grab the specific driver for whatever isn't working.
I had a giant monolithic tv capture my imagination yesterday while I was at Costco.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0076LY7NM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Is the refresh really 120hz or is it some weird motion interpolation thing? I know everyone always says that TVs that are marketed as 120hz aren't truly that fast. I mean whatever I can't afford it anyway just genuinely curious. It was so majestic.
They are not real 120hz. In fact, the post processing they add is very bad for games and adds input lag.

I can't wait until HDMI is a thing of the past so we can start moving forward.
Just reposting this for the new page:
Try increasing frequency without adjusting voltage. If it blue screen, then add more through offset. If it starts getting too warm, back it off to where you like it.

legacyzero

Banned
Nope, just those ones. Graphics driver too. After those are done, run windows update. If there is still stuff missing after that, then grab the specific driver for whatever isn't working.
Awesome! Thanks!

for some of the drivers (IE Audio) it listed a few different updates that were released throughout the year. Will I need ALL of those updates? Or just the latest one?

t-ramp

Just the latest should be fine. For audio I actually just use the generic pre-installed driver just to keep things simple, but it doesn't matter much.

Also, I should be getting my 2500K today and my motherboard later this week. Hopefully everything goes smoothly...

Manp

Yeah, general rule of thumb: only install drivers for stuff that isn't working.

that's not that good of rule imho... usually MS provided drivers are pretty barebone and are made to just work with no attention in regard to performance or features.

:)

It's an NZXT Switch 810.

The top opens up and closes. It's a bit flimsy IMO. It works great, I just wish they would have went a bit more heavy duty with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=s9R_o3a45os
iS71D65JHb3Tc.png
Oh wow! That's a major issue right there. I have an 8-month old who is becoming more mobile every day so this may be bad for the future health of my future PC. I didn't even notice the top of it while I was at the store. Great for heat I'm sure, but you can put a whole sheet of paper or worse, a PB&J sandwich in those slots. My baby only needs one toy box and it's not going to be my PC. Thanks so much for pointing this out to us.

Edit: Just watched the video and it closes. Crisis averted. I think it should be fine.

legacyzero

Banned
Oh wow! That's a major issue right there. I have an 8-month old who is becoming more mobile every day so this may be bad for the future health of my future PC. I didn't even notice the top of it while I was at the store. Great for heat I'm sure, but you can put a whole sheet of paper or worse, a PB&J sandwich in those slots. My baby only needs one toy box and it's not going to be my PC. Thanks so much for pointing this out to us.

Edit: Just watched the video and it closes. Crisis averted. I think it should be fine.

Yeah, it closes pretty tight. might be able to get some liquid down it though. But it's PB&J safe :lol

MisterNoisy

Man, I'm glad that 'food won't fit in here' isn't part of my purchasing calculus. :)

That said, I did have an incident where my brother leaned over a PC case (Lian Li PC-K63) and the change that was in his shirt pocket fell out into and through the top fan louvers, bounced around a bit in the top fans and ultimately made its way into the case. Fortunately, nothing was broken, but now I install screen/mesh in the top fan mounts if the case doesn't already have them.

legacyzero

Banned
Looks like your build is going to be pretty similar to what mine is. My last component is the same GPU coming in a couple days. Sing to me how glorious it is to hype me up more.
There are no words. Just waiting for my builder guy to get here (as I'm not 100% confident that I wont fuck this up) and shit will go DOWN

I can hear Tim Allen grunting from miles away!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm surprised no one responded to me about Max Keyboards, so I'm askin one more time before giving up!
From some quick searching it looks similar to the QPAD MK-85 and possibly from the same people who OEM the BlackWidow?

If so it should be fine although it looks pretty new.
Crucial SSD's are Amazon's Gold Box Deal of the Day. (128GB = $79.99, 256GB = $164.99, 512GB = $349.99)

Incredible deals. And unfortunately, I'm flat broke until Friday. :p
Time to buy one if you haven't.

Yeah, it closes pretty tight. might be able to get some liquid down it though. But it's PB&J safe :lol

Man, I'm glad that 'food won't fit in here' isn't part of my purchasing calculus. :)

That said, I did have an incident where my brother leaned over a PC case (Lian Li PC-K63) and the change that was in his shirt pocket fell out into and through the top fan louvers, bounced around a bit in the top fans and ultimately made its way into the case. Fortunately, nothing was broken, but now I install screen/mesh in the top fan mounts if the case doesn't already have them.
Something to think about. Now that I think about it, one of my PCs does have tiny holes in the metal that doesn't cover up. You know what, the office stays closed and there is a giant monster that lives in there. That should do the trick.

I'll probably end up getting it. I like the wire grabbers and the dust tray at the bottom. Really nice case.

RedSwirl

Just popping in here for a second to ask about these mini HTPCs. I'm not thinking of buying one (still planning to build my own HTPC sometime down the line), but I just saw a spec sheet for one on some random website that looked kind of amazing for its size:

http://www.asrock.com/nettop/Intel/VisionX%20Series/

I checked around a bit and they're supposedly around $500 - $700 and are mainly meant for media playback. Probably not excellent gaming performance, but probably good enough for most current games. Honestly impressive if you ask me if they can pack it into a box that small. A picture of one is on Steam's website for Big Picture Mode.

cametall

Was messing around to see my max OC on my new Sapphire HD7950 Vapor-X and it turns out to be voltage locked -_-

Is there any way around it or am I SOL?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Sounds like a wonky card to me. Did you try downclocking the card by 15% seeing if you run into issues? Inspect the back of the card for damage as well.

I guess I'll just chalk it up to getting a bad/dying card and replace it as soon as I can. I haven't tried downclocking since the issue happens so rarely and my card is already ancient lol. I can't see any damage to the card, but the gtx 280's have a heatsink that covers the back of the card so it's hard to tell:
small_asus_evga_gtx_280_5.JPG

Fou-Lu

Awww man why did I have to order from separate sites to save money? I'm sitting here with a case, keyboard, PSU, CPU, CPU cooler, sound card, motherboard, RAM and a DVD drive.

Video card, storage and monitor just shipped this morning.

The wait is gonna kill me.

(Is it wrong of me to want to get a new mouse with my computer, even though I already have a perfectly fine G500?)

mkenyon

Banned
that's not that good of rule imho... usually MS provided drivers are pretty barebone and are made to just work with no attention in regard to performance or features.

:)
What performance and features do you need that aren't provided by the four listed? It's not like some e-sata or firewire port will become faster.

Awww man why did I have to order from separate sites to save money? I'm sitting here with a case, keyboard, PSU, CPU, CPU cooler, sound card, motherboard, RAM and a DVD drive.

Video card, storage and monitor just shipped this morning.

The wait is gonna kill me.

(Is it wrong of me to want to get a new mouse with my computer, even though I already have a perfectly fine G500?)
Nope! People joke about it, but different mice can have a dramatic effect on play, especially in competitive games. If you don't have small hands, go get the Sensei Raw. What mouse works is generally chalked up as subjective, but the Sensei truly is objectively better than every mouse out there.

Fou-Lu

Nope! People joke about it, but different mice can have a dramatic effect on play, especially in competitive games. If you don't have small hands, go get the Sensei Raw. What mouse works is generally chalked up as subjective, but the Sensei truly is objectively better than every mouse out there.

I wish I'd used that 30% off coupon while it was up...

zedge

Thanks for the recommendations about a video card. Ended up getting an Asus 7870. Then it just snowballed..haha. just Picked up i5 3570 and new mobo to replace my aging first generation i3 530. New ps too. :) Hopefully I have no issues reinstalling w7 as its an oem version.

Gunsmithx

This seems like the best place to ask this, but I currently have a built PC that I like to use in my bedroom but I'd like too use it in the living room too(I currently use a laptop to play games while my wife watches TV) whats the best way to set this up? just run some usb and hdmi extenders to a monitor and keyboard and mouse in the living room? just wondering if maybe someone has done something like this before.

Since buying the Witcher 2, I can only play on the 'Medium Spec' setting to get a decent frame-rate and it looks quite bad (texture popping etc)

What we most likely be the cause, my i5-2400 or GTX570?

T-Matt

So, anyone have experience with any wireless mouses they like? I'm not a competitive gamer or anything but I'd like it to be nice and last.

kharma45

So, anyone have experience with any wireless mouses they like? I'm not a competitive gamer or anything but I'd like it to be nice and last.

I've a Logitech M510 and have been very happy with it, it's nothing overly fancy but it feels good and is accurate.

1-D_FTW

The G700 is my favorite mouse of all time. And I've owned quite a few different makes and brands. I'm also kind of a latency whore and IMO it's more responsive than a wireless 360 pad. So it's very responsive. Never thought I'd switch to a wireless mouse after some earlier experiments, but the thing is quick.

Has awesome drivers (not something you usually associate with Logitech). Only thing is, the one Eneloop rechargable battery it comes with doesn't last the longest. But as long as you have 4 spares lying around and a 4 battery charger, the thing is absolutely perfect (price aside... but I got in on sale at amazon for 49.99).

cametall

Even when using Trixx for OCing? If so news to me, didn't know Sapphire locked the voltages on their cards.

Trixx will not maintain any VDDC setting I use but for a few minutes. It always reverts to the default.

Through Afterburner any OC I do is unstable if the default voltage cannot handle it.

However, I was just testing what would happen if I set Afterburner to maintain my voltage setting. That did work and I was able to OC further, but my understanding is maintaining the OC voltage constantly is far from ideal.

My 520w PSU was not able to handle 1150/1575 1.25v on load :O (at least I'm guessing thats what happened when my Kill A Watt read 400+ watts then the PC hard locked).

CatPee

Since buying the Witcher 2, I can only play on the 'Medium Spec' setting to get a decent frame-rate and it looks quite bad (texture popping etc)

What we most likely be the cause, my i5-2400 or GTX570?

Hmm, back when I had my stock 2500K/reference clocks 570, I could still run it on high at a respectable 45-60 and ultra sans Ubersampling pretty well. Dunno what your issue might be.

What's the best videocard for around $150-200? I'm not happy with the 660ti pricing, I'm upgrading from an 8800GTS, I'd prefer to stick with Nvidia. I'm trying to find deals on the 560ti, but the price hasn't come down at all really

Anyone know any good deals?

What's the best videocard for around $150-200? I'm not happy with the 660ti pricing, I'm upgrading from an 8800GTS, I'd prefer to stick with Nvidia. I'm trying to find deals on the 560ti, but the price hasn't come down at all really

If you are willing to stick with Nvidia you might have to wait a bit more since the 660 (non ti version) should be coming out (the 13th of this month supposedly). Aim for a 560ti if that doesn't work out either release date or price wise.

If not the 7850s are getting some shoutouts especially since it apparently overclocks pretty well.

If you are willing to stick with Nvidia you might have to wait a bit more since the 660 (non ti version) should be coming out (the 13th of this month supposedly). Aim for a 560ti if that doesn't work out either release date or price wise.

If not the 7850s are getting some praise especially since it apparently overclocks pretty well.

Thanks for the input, wait and see it is!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

560Ti and 7850.

There's an ASUS 560Ti 448 for $220 AR which is not bad.
Also a lot of 7870's for $240 AR.

Hopefully the 660 stirs something up soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom