• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branson

Check temps
See if your RAM is at the correct voltage (probably 1.5)
Run stress tests on cpu / gpu see if same problems
Run a memtest overnight

Usually it is a PSU issue, but check those first. Also could be some odd short somewhere.

Ok thanks. Where can I check RAM voltage? Can I do that in CPU-z?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ok lol. brb.

Ok. Could anti surge support make it restart? If like a weird power spike went through it.

Also my DRAM voltage is at 1.653V
Yes, dirty power can cause restarts.
Check if your RAM is 1.65V or 1.5V and set it accordingly.

Branson

Yes, dirty power can cause restarts.
Check if your RAM is 1.65V or 1.5V and set it accordingly.

The specs for my RAM say 1.5. Could more power cause it to restart like that?

Alright playing BF3 on ultra my gpu temp is around 78. CPU is 60-63 max on the 4 cores.

Branson

Yes (instability). Run them at 1.50V
Temps are fine.

Alright. I'll do that. That last run there on bf it seemed fine. Didn't reboot or anything. Now in a longer session than before and it's been fine temp wise. Ok just got done with a good hour and a half of BF3 and it seems to be fine. Just put the voltage down to 1.5. Hopefully that was it.

CSampson

I'm looking for advice on upgrading my GPU:

AMD Athlon II X4 635
Radeon HD 5770
12 GB DDR3 RAM

I feel that the 5770 is somewhat inadequate (primarily gaming). I have 2-300$ to drop on a new card if it's worth the upgrade (looking towards the GTX560 or something) but I just don't know if it's worth it.

I thought of starting a new thread for this but, i think it isn't worthy of one.

So i want to have a dual monitor setup, my current one is SyncMaster 740N 1280X1024, and i am planning to get a full HD one (any recommended Samsung monitors? i can't buy from the net and we only have Samsung stuff here).

Here is my (problem).

So what monitor should be the main one if i hook them together? Obviously i want the 1920X1080 one for gaming/photo-shopping and the other one for the internet/apps. Should the main one be the gaming monitor or the internet monitor?

What is a more comfortable setup? having the gaming monitor on the right or the left of you? for some reason this is bothering me, will the main one be right in-front of you and the secondary one to left? or right? which is easier for your eyes to switch to?

wwm0nkey

Had to reattach my CPU fan because it became loose. Made sure it was stable and tried to turn my PC back on and apparently my PSU is now dead, have to go get a new one tomorrow

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Setup however your desk works for you.

I have my secondary monitor to the right because that is where it fits. Maybe some light causes glare or you face the window?

Big monitor in front directly, smaller one to the right side.
Had to reattach my CPU fan because it became loose. Made sure it was stable and tried to turn my PC back on and apparently my PSU is now dead, have to go get a new one tomorrow
Leave it alone unplugged for 5 minutes and try turning it on again

TGMIII

I assume the answer is yes but if I were to run two screens, one 120hz and 1 60hz, I'd be able to push out the right rates to each screen without any issues right? Running a 2500k/6950.

derFeef

Going to invest in a new PC in the coming weeks (4ghz not enough anymore! ;)
Everything new (except monitors). But I am hearing mixed impressions about SSD's - not sure if I should make the leap yet.

CSampson

HD6950 or 560Ti / 560Ti 448.
6950 best value out of those.

Thanks. 5770 isn't really cutting it in terms of playing on high settings so I'm hoping the 6950 will correct that. How's my CPU in terms of usefulness? PS just wanted to say the 2010 version of this thread got me into building my own PC and it was an awesome experience that is still paying off today.

I was also curious if it's worth buying a new card or getting another 5770 and using crossfire (never tried this so maybe this isn't even compatible but IIRC I bought my components (PSU, GPU) so that I could go down that path if I so chose to do so.

Everything new (except monitors). But I am hearing mixed impressions about SSD's - not sure if I should make the leap yet.

SSD's aren't necessary but once you go that way you will never want to go back. If you are going to get one though just make sure to get a good one. The range of quality with SSD's is quite a broad margin.

Crucial m4 is the safest bet for an SSD currently.

Metroid

Okay, GAF I need a new graphics card to replace my old ass 9600GT. A few month ago I upgraded my rig to a Athlon x4 970 BE and 8gigs of RAM and now I need a new card to accompany it. I finally want to play Witcher 2 fluently.
My budget is around 130€. Any suggestions? Should I go with AMD or Nvidia?
Thanks in advance.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.

I'm gonna wait until the hdd market settles and regains their capacity again until I'll buy an ssd, latest news implies that this will happen sometime Q3 2012.

If 4ghz is not enough for you anymore, oh yes you definitely want an SSD. It's going to make a whole lot more difference to your system responsiveness than a few hundred more CPU megahertz.

As said do research though, Intel and Corsair are good, plus some others.

derFeef

SSD's aren't necessary but once you go that way you will never want to go back. If you are going to get one though just make sure to get a good one. The range of quality with SSD's is quite a broad margin.

Crucial m4 is the safest bet for an SSD currently.

Yeah I would buy a Crucial as a colleague is also pretty happy with it and the horror stories about OCZ are staggering. I would only use it for the OS obviously, but I am struggling with my decision :)

If 4ghz is not enough for you anymore, oh yes you definitely want an SSD. It's going to make a whole lot more difference to your system responsiveness than a few hundred more CPU megahertz.

As said do research though, Intel and Corsair are good, plus some others.

It's "bad" and unstable 4ghz (Phenom II). I think I strained it too much...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I assume the answer is yes but if I were to run two screens, one 120hz and 1 60hz, I'd be able to push out the right rates to each screen without any issues right? Running a 2500k/6950.
Good question. I'd assume so. Let me know.
I don't think SSDs have mixed impressions. Intel 320/Crucial M4/Samsung 830
Thanks. 5770 isn't really cutting it in terms of playing on high settings so I'm hoping the 6950 will correct that. How's my CPU in terms of usefulness? PS just wanted to say the 2010 version of this thread got me into building my own PC and it was an awesome experience that is still paying off today.

I was also curious if it's worth buying a new card or getting another 5770 and using crossfire (never tried this so maybe this isn't even compatible but IIRC I bought my components (PSU, GPU) so that I could go down that path if I so chose to do so.
x4 will do well enough for most games. If you can OC it a bit that will help.
Guys how much does this card cost nowadays? What is the average price?
Too high if you are buying. Released at $700 right?

scogoth

Yeah but ncix Canada has it listed at $825 so I figured around $750 in the US. It's a moot point as I'm pretty sure no retailer has it in inventory and with Keplar coming out they're not going to restock.

Nekrono

$750 I think, I'm trying to find the average price nowadays but every place I look it's either deactivated or out of stock.

I could potentially buy 3 for one of my clients, he actually wants 3 6990 but my provider can't get me that one. (actually if you know any good wholesale companies tell me)

Also, what beast of a PSU would power up 3 of these monsters and a FX-8120 on a ASUS Formula V ?

scogoth

$750 I think, I'm trying to find the average price nowadays but every place I look it's either deactivated or out of stock.

I could potentially buy 3 for one of my clients, he actually wants 3 6990 but my provider can't get me that one. (actually if you know any good wholesale companies tell me)

Also, what beast of a PSU would power up 3 of these monsters and a FX-8120 on a ASUS Formula V ?

You can't SLI three 590s or 6990s anyways. Try to recommend 3x 7970s. You want a 1kW PSU. The seaonic 80 plus platinum one is a very good choice.

Smokey

Is there you're going with a Bulldozer processor? It's inferior to Intel in just about every way...

Nekrono

You can't SLI three 590s or 6990s anyways. Try to recommend 3x 7970s. You want a 1kW PSU. The seaonic 80 plus platinum one is a very good choice.
Really? nvidia only supports 4 GPU's or it's just that you can't SLI 3 590?

You can Crossfire 3 6990 right?

Is there you're going with a Bulldozer processor? It's inferior to Intel in just about every way...

I know, but he already has it so I can't do anything in that regard, I did recommend a i7 2600k but he already has an AMD motherboard so yeah.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Really? nvidia only supports 4 GPU's or it's just that you can't SLI 3 590?

You can Crossfire 3 6990 right?

I know, but he already has it so I can't do anything in that regard, I did recommend a i7 2600k but he already has an AMD motherboard so yeah.

6990 and 590 are dual GPUs, they are already in Crossfire/SLI. So 2x 6990/590 works the same as having four GPUs. 3x would be six GPUs, and that's not supported.

3x 7970 would be more powerful than either of either of those options.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151109

I did some (minor) poking around with wholesale a while back and the margins are jack, if you find different please let me know. Maybe on high end GPUs there are more savings than 5% on select OEM parts. I'd really like to know. I didn't talk to anyone and from stuff I've been picking up at work on importing, that's basically what you gotta do.

3x 7970's could be a good alternative, then get rid of Bulldozer and that mobo :lol

*3x 6990 would be faster from a pure computational power standpoint which is what I'm getting a vibe from. If it's gaming then 7970 for sure.

Nekrono

Thanks guys, I wasn't sure on how many GPU were supported currently, I also think 3 7970 would be a better option, let me see if I can get some prices for him.

RvILD.png

Is this a safe fan speed profile for a Gigabyte Radeon 6850? I want it to be as quiet as possible. Also, do I properly enable it by clicking auto, user setting, or both?

Nekrono

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151109

I did some (minor) poking around with wholesale a while back and the margins are jack, if you find different please let me know. Maybe on high end GPUs there are more savings than 5% on select OEM parts. I'd really like to know. I didn't talk to anyone and from stuff I've been picking up at work on importing, that's basically what you gotta do.

3x 7970's could be a good alternative, then get rid of Bulldozer and that mobo :lol

*3x 6990 would be faster from a pure computational power standpoint which is what I'm getting a vibe from. If it's gaming then 7970 for sure.

Thanks man, I'm getting into wholesale in the US for my store (outside the US) so I'll let you know if I find any good ones.

And yeah this person wants the cards for pure computational horsepower, I'm also pretty sure he wants them for illegal purposes but I really didn't want to find out more lol.

scogoth

Thanks man, I'm getting into wholesale in the US for my store (outside the US) so I'll let you know if I find any good ones.

And yeah this person wants the cards for pure computational horsepower, I'm also pretty sure he wants them for illegal purposes but I really didn't want to find out more lol.

What's the budget? Might want look at quadro cards

Budget is around $2500+ I would say, I mean he is ready to dump $2250 at the very least.
For pure compute, without the budget for Quadro/Tesla/FirePro/FireStream/Knights/etc., you're going to want 7970s, and GTX 580s over 6990s. If you do go with three 7970s, an FX-8120 is not the best match for that. Neither is a 2500K (in keeping with the ~$200 cost). Overclocking to ~4.8GHz+, with a suitable cooling solution, and the latest Windows updates for FX would help. Still, ~$1,500+ of current, and future, triple-/quad-GPU upgrades would better suited to a higher end CPU.

Branson

So my motherboard has an overclocking feature on it for my 2500k. Should I use that or try to do it myself? It's an ASUS z68 gen-3 pro

So my motherboard has an overclocking feature on it for my 2500k. Should I use that or try to do it myself? It's an ASUS z68 gen-3 pro
Never use auto overclock:

·feist·;23321199 said:
While I haven't personally used them, Clunk's Core 2 and Core i overclocking guides seem to always be among the more popular options.

Core i7 Overclocking Guide For Beginners.

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/22106-core-i7-overclocking-guide-beginners.html

Obviously, searching online for your specific motherboard and CPU revisions is always helpful as well.
Wow, that's from the 2010 thread.
Anyhow, Clunk's current Sandy Bridge guide has been included in the OP since Hazaro took over in 2011.

Well, they already had an all white version of the CM 690 II (and other models of theirs), so add the improvements that were implemented with the updated USB 3.0 version, and you get this:

Cooler Master CM 690 II Black & White Edition

3kGNH.jpg
lj6Qk.jpg

CM 690 II Advanced Black & White Edition - Product Sheet
http://www.coolermaster.com/upload/...ced Black & White Edition - product sheet.pdf
http://www.coolermaster.com/download.php?action=ViewDownload&id=763

The improved CM 690 II Advanced Black & White will be available for €99,95 and will hit the stores around the beginning of March.

7zL0g.jpg
pMKrV.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom