• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

cilonen

Thanks for the input on the burners. I'll start researching them on NewEgg.

And yes this case is a monster compared to my old PC. I don't think it will fit in my nook that I built for my PC in my office. LOL

As for case mods / nicknacks, I'd love a CPU cooling block that had LED's in the classic 360 RROD but sadly I don't think such a thing exists.

FourDoor

As for case mods / nicknacks, I'd love a CPU cooling block that had LED's in the classic 360 RROD but sadly I don't think such a thing exists.

Corsair H100 with the lights modded red? LOL
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/neomasticore/my rig/IMG_0989.jpg

I treated myself with a Core i7-3930K, going from a i5-750 and OMGBBQ! this thing overclock like mad.
Using a Corsair H80 cooler and just increased the BCLK and multiplier and it is working at 4,6GHz without any effort put into it.

Don't think I will ever go back to vanilla Intel CPUs :p

Congrats. What motherboard did you end up going with? I was strongly debating about getting the 3930k but that MicroCenter deal for the 2600k at $230 kinda locked the 2600k for me.

nubbe

Congrats. What motherboard did you end up going with? I was strongly debating about getting the 3930k but that MicroCenter deal for the 2600k at $230 kinda locked the 2600k for me.

I got the asus p9x79 deluxe which is a nice all round board.

Smokey

I treated myself with a Core i7-3930K, going from a i5-750 and OMGBBQ! this thing overclock like mad.
Using a Corsair H80 cooler and just increased the BCLK and multiplier and it is working at 4,6GHz without any effort put into it.

Don't think I will ever go back to vanilla Intel CPUs :p

Where did you find a 3930k?

so, i'm about ready (once my tax return gets here) to pull the trigger on a build. i'm not shooting for the moon but i want to get into PC gaming and be set for at least 2-3 years before i have to start upgrading.

that said, here's what i'm looking at for my build. as to why i'm buying a 460, i plan to upgrade to one of the newer NVIDIA cards later this year and then use the 460 for physX so i know that in terms of what i have here its definitely an area for improvement. basically what i'm looking for is for anyone to identify where i can probably push the build a little farther for not much cost increase and/or if i'm paying too much for anything. any input is greatly appreciated. i followed the guides in the OP fairly closely (and then deviated as costs, other decisions came into play) so hopefully i haven't overlooked something.

just as an overview this will be a gaming/video/graphics production PC. my current build handles most of my design work (sans large format) and most games at reasonable to lower settings so the biggest area of improvement will come in the form of being able to edit HD video and playing games at ultra/max settings. i went for the 2500K because i would like to get into overclocking a little bit.

Sciz

Help me out here, PC-GAF.

Bought a wired 360 controller a while back, didn't have any trouble with it.

Went to use it today, nothing. Windows (7, 64-bit) won't see it despite plugging it back in (which makes the guide ring go green briefly then go dark), updating drivers, and rebooting the whole system. Googling for answers is useless.

halp

Help me out here, PC-GAF.

Bought a wired 360 controller a while back, didn't have any trouble with it.

Went to use it today, nothing. Windows (7, 64-bit) won't see it despite plugging it back in (which makes the guide ring go green briefly then go dark), updating drivers, and rebooting the whole system. Googling for answers is useless.

halp

Move the cable around and wiggle it. 360 wired controllers can be unreliable at times (I have had 2-3 of them die on me). If that doesn't work, try using it on another PC or a 360 and see if it turns on and can be utilized.

If not, dat shit dead.

border

Is there a good website I can go to to find out the dimensions of a particular card? I bought a Dell XPS and I think I am a little limited on case space.

I think I can manage a card that is about 10" long, maybe a little more. I don't think the width or the depth will be a problem. Is that good enough for a GTX 560 or a Radeon 6870?

Is there a good website I can go to to find out the dimensions of a particular card? I bought a Dell XPS and I think I am a little limited on case space.

I think I can manage a card that is about 10" long, maybe a little more. I don't think the width or the depth will be a problem. Is that good enough for a GTX 560 or a Radeon 6870?

Yes, that's fine. GTX 560 is around 9.5-10".

Corsair H100 with the lights modded red? LOL
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/neomasticore/my rig/IMG_0989.jpg

Haha! That would almost do it :)
Modified XSPC Rasa, or Raystorm?

http://www.xs-pc.com/products/waterblocks/cpu-waterblocks/

raystorm-intel-7-150x150.jpg
raystorm-intel-91-150x150.jpg
IMG_1885-150x150.jpg
IMG_1894-150x150.jpg

raystorm-rasa.jpg

Photoshop:

edit

Real:

JJBro One

Anyone know why I'm getting framerate dips in battlefield 3? I sought out to build a pc that will run this game maxed out at 60fps no dips whatsoever. I have dual gtx 580's and a 2500k OC to 4.5. I've been as low as 40fps. I especially get problems on the back to karkand maps. I have the latest drivers. What could the problem be?

Himajin

Is this a good deal?

Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Usually $200 on sale for $90?

That would have been a crazy expensive price before the flooding shortages, but it looks to be about the going rate these days.

Anyone know why I'm getting framerate dips in battlefield 3? I sought out to build a pc that will run this game maxed out at 60fps no dips whatsoever. I have dual gtx 580's and a 2500k OC to 4.5. I've been as low as 40fps. I especially get problems on the back to karkand maps. I have the latest drivers. What could the problem be?

What resolution? Antialiasing on or off? Do you have renderahead set to 0 or 2? Do you have High Precision Event Timer turned off in your BIOS?

How much VRAM does each of those have?

wwm0nkey

Got my PC back, the place I got it from replaced my CPU and MB just incase my power supply messed things up. I can now overclock to 4.2GHz with no problems :)

mooooose

i was thinking of going with most of the enhanced build but upping the ram to 16gb and bumping the graphics card down to the basic 1gb one, putting me at a pretty reasonable price point

would this last me awhile? i dont do much gaming but id like the option to play something at a decent res

id also like to play around with osx in a virtual machine for ios dev

Guri

Is anyone from San Francisco here?

I live in Brazil and in March I'll go to GDC. My ideia is to go at a store and buy the parts. Does anyone know any place good? It would be better if it is close to the Moscone Convention Center and there is a place to buy games close too!

Whats the difference if you dont mind me asking so i know what to watch for in the future.
Cav Greens are meant for storage. Cheaper with a wealth of power saving features which kill the drive with frequent access. They're also quite slower.

i was thinking of going with most of the enhanced build but upping the ram to 16gb and bumping the graphics card down to the basic 1gb one, putting me at a pretty reasonable price point
16GB is pointless, trust me. I'm a heavy user, and even with caching, Windows 7 still doesn't use all my RAM for caching.

onken

·feist·;34574819 said:
Well, he did only ask for mITX...

Really like some of In Win's SFF cases, even though some of the best ones aren't readily available outside of the home market.

Definitely, definitely not like that one. Buyers should go ahead and pick up a Real Doll while they're at it.

More like this:

This:

This:

This:

hk8sX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/kDrC8.jpg[IMG]

Others.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm getting an Abee for my next build. Such awesome cases.

Jibbed

Hey guys, I've had my system for a few days now, and I'm just starting to get my head around overclocking this thing.

Specs:

i7 2600k
ASUS P8Z68-PRO/GEN3
8GB Corsair Vengeance (1600)
GTX 560Ti
850W Coolermaster Modular PSU
Corsair H50 watercooler
120GB Crucial M4 SSD
320GB Western Digital external HDD
LG DVD drive

I've just ran the ASUS AI suite 'auto-tuning' tool, and it's settled at 4.71GHz (104.6 x 45) - whenever it tries to test a clock past this, the system reboots. Is there any point in chasing a clock higher than 4.7? With a little OC'ing on my GPU, I've managed to hit 70fps (60 average) on Battlefield 3 - completely maxed out at 1920x1080 with no AA. A friend of mine has the same CPU/RAM/mobo/cooler combo and he can hit 4.9GHz.

Thanks.

Hey guys, I've had my system for a few days now, and I'm just starting to get my head around overclocking this thing.

Specs:

i7 2600k
ASUS P8Z68-PRO/GEN3
8GB Corsair Vengeance (1600)
GTX 560Ti
850W Coolermaster Modular PSU
Corsair H50 watercooler
120GB Crucial M4 SSD
320GB Western Digital external HDD
LG DVD drive

I've just ran the ASUS AI suite 'auto-tuning' tool, and it's settled at 4.71GHz (104.6 x 45) - whenever it tries to test a clock past this, the system reboots. Is there any point in chasing a clock higher than 4.7? With a little OC'ing on my GPU, I've managed to hit 70fps (60 average) on Battlefield 3 - completely maxed out at 1920x1080 with no AA. A friend of mine has the same CPU/RAM/mobo/cooler combo and he can hit 4.9GHz.

Thanks.

Don't overclock the BCLK (104.6). Set it back to 100. It'll just introduce instability.

Jibbed

Don't overclock the BCLK (104.6). Set it back to 100. It'll just introduce instability.

The Asus tool ran a test and set that for me, I'd have no idea what to do if I set those values myself.

I've experienced no issues for several hours now, surely it's fine?

Also, how has my friend on basically the same system reached 4.9 with the same software?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Gah, I just want the new gpus to come out already...

feist do something

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The Asus tool ran a test and set that for me, I'd have no idea what to do if I set those values myself.

I've experienced no issues for several hours now, surely it's fine?

Also, how has my friend on basically the same system reached 4.9 with the same software?
Literally just set it it 100.0 That's it. No it is not fine (imo).
They boost it because it makes them faster than competition in terrible mobo benches.
I'm staring at an i7 2700k and 12GB Corsair Vengeance RAM I received from Intel's RetailEdge that are just sitting on top of my computer waiting for the day when I have enough money for a motherboard to slide them into.

I need a mATX motherboard to fit into my Silverstone GD05b so I've been looking at the ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3. Any other motherboards I should take into consideration?
Not for the price/features. That's the board to get.

green_focus

Big thanks to Hazaro! I used his enthusiast build with a few tweaks and there's nothing this thing can't handle. I haven't even started overclocking. :)

What's under the hood:

Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4 GHz 8MB
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 mobo
eVGA GTX580 3GB
Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU cooler
Corsair 850AX Gold AX PSU
Intel 320 Series 123 SSD SATA II
WD 2TB Caviar Green 5400RPM storage drive
LG 12x Bluray Writer
ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Sound Card
Corsair 400R Case
16 GB of GSKILL Sniper RAM

= One sexy beast.

NH Apache

Banned
Watching the Newegg video, I noticed he did what was a called an "external build," testing the parts with power outside of the case.

I've not seen this before. Is this suggested before I throw the parts into the case?

So Im still pondering over what should go into my gaming pc and my choices for the gpu is either the gtx 560 ti or the gtx 570. Will either of those cards be able to run 2012, and 2013 games at full resoultion, 1920 by 1080, and will they be able to keep a steady frame rate of 30 fps or more on the best settings?

I know Im basically asking you to tell me the future and the answer probaly wont be a clean and easy, but Im really new to all of this and just want to know what the expect.

Frostburn

Going to transplant my current rig from my Corsair 600T into a new Corsair 650D, I have 2 200MM Cooler Master Megaflow fans to put in as well as a Laptron FC-5 v2 fan controller and blue sleeved cables from ModSmart. Cannot wait to see how sexy this looks!

So Im still pondering over what should go into my gaming pc and my choices for the gpu is either the gtx 560 ti or the gtx 570. Will either of those cards be able to run 2012, and 2013 games at full resoultion, 1920 by 1080, and will they be able to keep a steady frame rate of 30 fps or more on the best settings?

I know Im basically asking you to tell me the future and the answer probaly wont be a clean and easy, but Im really new to all of this and just want to know what the expect.

The 560 ti should be a relevant card for about a couple years hopefully. That's why I got it haha.

RedSwirl

Maybe this isn't the right place to ask about drivers, but has anyone confirmed that the latest AMD drivers (12.1) work well with RAGE? I've been holding off upgrading solely because of that game.

Edit: And I never got a definitive answer for this, but is it safe to play a game that runs my GPU to 90C? That seems to be what I get when playing The Witcher 2.

Hawk269

Big thanks to Hazaro! I used his enthusiast build with a few tweaks and there's nothing this thing can't handle. I haven't even started overclocking. :)

What's under the hood:

Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4 GHz 8MB
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 mobo
eVGA GTX580 3GB
Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU cooler
Corsair 850AX Gold AX PSU
Intel 320 Series 123 SSD SATA II
WD 2TB Caviar Green 5400RPM storage drive
LG 12x Bluray Writer
ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Sound Card
Corsair 400R Case
16 GB of GSKILL Sniper RAM

= One sexy beast.

Very nice build man. Yeah, that rig of yours would pretty much destroy any game currently out. The only game I know of that you cant max out is Witcher 2 in Ubersampling mode at 1080p/60fps. Almost everything else you should be able to move every slider in options to max and still be at 60fps.

One thing I have learned though, if you try a game and you cannot completely 100% max it out, dont fret too much...it is usually a driver issue or the game itself. For example, Star Wars The Old Republic has known performance issues and I have a similar rig as you and I get FPS drops in that game. As a new PC gamer, we at times look at our rig and think something is wrong or I need more power, but more and more I have learned that it is the game itself and how it was coded, or needing patching or driver updates.

The best thing to do is if you run into a game that you cant max out, just ask here and usually others will respond telling you they have similar performance, this should ease your mind on it. If you get responses like "for me it runs perfect" then that is when you look into stuff to see if there are tweaks you can make. Like you, I built my rig to be able to take any game and crank every possible option to max and sustaing 60fps at 1080p...and for the most part I can and so will you.

Hawk269

Watching the Newegg video, I noticed he did what was a called an "external build," testing the parts with power outside of the case.

I've not seen this before. Is this suggested before I throw the parts into the case?

No not really. What I did is installed the RAM and the CPU and CPU Fan prior to putting the motherboard in the case. IT made it a bit easier to add those parts outside of the case (depending on your case). I use an Antec 1200 full tower case and found it easier to install those parts on the MB prior to installing it into the case.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Only if your build fails in the case imo. If it works the first time you don't have to deal with it. Newegg has that in there to probably save RMA's on their end :)

560ti 448, upgrade to a next gen card later.
Maybe this isn't the right place to ask about drivers, but has anyone confirmed that the latest AMD drivers (12.1) work well with RAGE? I've been holding off upgrading solely because of that game.

Edit: And I never got a definitive answer for this, but is it safe to play a game that runs my GPU to 90C? That seems to be what I get when playing The Witcher 2.
Drivers post RAGE release should work fine.
90C is upper tier of where you want it. I'd blow it out or get some better airflow, but yes you can play on it.
Got my Cooler Master Hyper 212! Three day shipping...got here the next day for free...not bad..

Although

Damn thing doesn't fit in my case :(
'Note that some cases might not be able to fit taller rifle coolers (Like the CM 212 Plus, or more commonly a ThermalRight Silver Arrow) or longer video cards (Like a 6950 or GTX 580).'
What case is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom