• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking at two cards I can buy locally here and between these two which would be the better buy?

EVGA 560 Ti 448 FTW Edition
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130738

or

MSI 6950 Ti 2gb Twin Frozr ii
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127562

I'm gaming at 1080p now so thats something to consider with the memory on the cards and also I wonder how loud the single fan EVGA will be. Granted the EVGA also has a lifetime warranty correct? And has a tradeup program?

Thanks in advanced!

mkenyon

Banned
Both great cards, but the 560Ti 448 core is a bit better. The cooler on the 6950 is far superior, though, and will certainly run quieter and cooler. However, it'll dump heat into your case rather than exhaust out the back.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
eVGA 3 year. Step-Up program is so-so imo since you have to buy from them direct in a certain time (Don't know if nVidia 6xx will be out by then).

6950 is the better buy (at those prices) if you don't have brand preference. Quieter too.
Both great cards, but the 560Ti 448 core is a bit better. The cooler on the 6950 is far superior, though, and will certainly run quieter and cooler. However, it'll dump heat into your case rather than exhaust out the back.
That 560Ti 448 is not an EE version, just sealed slightly more.

Oh man.

Feist, I both hate and love your updates.

Repeat to self, "I do not need a new case."
Ha, just be happy I rarely ever post some of the $400-800+ enclosures you'd have to import from Japan, Korea, Germany, The Netherlands, and elsewhere. Justify the cost? OK. Then you have to justify the hundreds extra on shipping, and assorted tariffs. Ouch.

I bought the Cosmos S a while ago, this looks so much better though, may switch.
Recently? Unless you're water-cooling, and/or up for modding, the Cosmos S is kinda outdated. Just saying. I know more than one Cosmos I owner who "downgraded" to a 690 II when they were first released since the stock air cooling is much better.

mkenyon

Banned
You suggesting the 6950 based just on cooler then? 448 trumps it in just about every bench, even AMD favored benches.
·feist·;34570247 said:
Ha, just be happy I rarely ever post some of the $400-800+ enclosures you'd have to import from Japan, Korea, Germany, The Netherlands, and elsewhere. Justify the cost? OK. Then you have to justify the hundreds extra on shipping, and assorted tariffs. Ouch.
I remember a mATX aluminum case you linked from Japan. Spent about 10 hours trying to find a way to get one to me. I appreciate your restraint.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
You suggesting the 6950 based just on cooler then? 448 trumps it in just about every bench, even AMD favored benches.
For $28 cheaper with a better cooler and less noise it's up to him and what the local prices are. Both are good cards. 1.2GB VRAM is enough for most everything at 1080 IMO.
I relooked up some benches and it still looks mostly similar sans a few titles. Looks like 448 prices have come down a touch, which was where I had my value belief.

I want to pickup nVidia's next card, but bitcoins :(

If the games, software, and tasks you do run fine at stock, stick with it for now, Can always overclock when you want a free performance bump down the line, and are more comfortable doing so.

Does anyone use a decent mini ITX case that's not Lian Li or Silverstone?
Not currently. Remember, mITX is very niche, so similar to how the boards are relatively pricey (at times more than a comparable mATX), the cases can run up in price for what they are, and there isn't much of a selection.

I've been slacking on entry level mITX lately, but Cooler Master has an inexpensive SilverStone SG05-like one coming up. Also, iirc, Xigmatek, Nexus, and Thermaltake have some models you may want to check out.

If you aren't 100% locked-in on mITX, your options open up quite a bit with mATX.

I remember a mATX aluminum case you linked from Japan. Spent about 10 hours trying to find a way to get one to me. I appreciate your restraint.
I still want one. A friend just came over from Japan without telling me beforehand. Could've brought one along with him, if I had only known... *cries

Wizman23

Banned
I need some help PC GAF. I've finally decided to take the plunge and enter the world of PC gaming. I've gone back and forth this past year or so on whether to build a rig or get a gaming laptop. I just can't justify the insane prices on gaming laptops that will give me nowhere near the performance as a desktop. This PC is going to be used 100% for gaming and listening to music and surfing the net. I don't need crazy high FPS's or anything but I would like to run all my stuff on the new rig at 1080P with the highest settings. Here are some questions I have:

-For the CPU I plan on getting the i5 2500K. That being said any recommendations on Mother Boards? From reading this thread it seems like ASUS is the way to go but there are so many options. From a price standpoint this is what I was thinking:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0371775

Will that MB be sufficient for my needs?

-In regards to graphics cards what would you all recommend? The 560ti seems like it should run anything at 1080P easily but I may not get the blistering FPS as some of the higher cards. Would it be worth to plunck down the extra money for a 580 or is that overkill? Any feedback here would be great.

-Speaking of motherboards do all of them include a sound card or is that a separate purchase? I would like an HDMI out so I can game at times on the big screen and run the audio through my home theater. I didn't know if these new Motherboards had onboard audio included.

-What about wireless? Is that also a separate card I need to purchase or is that also included on the MB? I also noticed as I was researching gaming laptops there are a few different grades of wireless cards. I wanted to see if the good cards made a difference or it was just marketing BS.

-HD. Will an SSD help improve gaming performance at all?

-PSU. Is 700W sufficient?

-RAM. I'm thinking 8 GB's. Any reason to get the 1600MHZ version or will the normal 1333 MHZ version be fine?

I'll probably be picking ip most of my components from Microcenter as I'm lucky to have one close to me. Thanks in advance for the help I have been a console only gamer since 1986 so needless to say I'm excited.

Smidget

You can try using symlinks with Symlink Creator. Move game files to your SSD then create a symlink for them from HDD to SSD.

As for save files I don't know. If you've always been playing the games on that HDD then I guess it should be fine.

Thank you so much, learned about symlinks and realized how awesome they are :)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I need some help PC GAF. I've finally decided to take the plunge and enter the world of PC gaming. I've gone back and forth this past year or so on whether to build a rig or get a gaming laptop. I just can't justify the insane prices on gaming laptops that will give me nowhere near the performance as a desktop. This PC is going to be used 100% for gaming and listening to music and surfing the net. I don't need crazy high FPS's or anything but I would like to run all my stuff on the new rig at 1080P with the highest settings. Here are some questions I have:

-For the CPU I plan on getting the i5 2500K. That being said any recommendations on Mother Boards? From reading this thread it seems like ASUS is the way to go but there are so many options. From a price standpoint this is what I was thinking:

-In regards to graphics cards what would you all recommend? The 560ti seems like it should run anything at 1080P easily but I may not get the blistering FPS as some of the higher cards. Would it be worth to plunck down the extra money for a 580 or is that overkill? Any feedback here would be great.

-Speaking of motherboards do all of them include a sound card or is that a separate purchase? I would like an HDMI out so I can game at times on the big screen and run the audio through my home theater. I didn't know if these new Motherboards had onboard audio included.

-What about wireless? Is that also a separate card I need to purchase or is that also included on the MB? I also noticed as I was researching gaming laptops there are a few different grades of wireless cards. I wanted to see if the good cards made a difference or it was just marketing BS.

-RAM. I'm thinking 8 GB's. Any reason to get the 1600MHZ version or will the normal 1333 MHZ version be fine?

I'll probably be picking ip most of my components from Microcenter as I'm lucky to have one close to me. Thanks in advance for the help I have been a console only gamer since 1986 so needless to say I'm excited.
Please read the OP, you will find many many answers.

560Ti 448 and that mobo are fine.

Planning an Ivy Bridge build in April/May. Is there any reason I couldn't use a 7950 or similar Radeon with a GTX275 for dedicated PhysX? I know there are hacked drivers to make that work, but I'm asking specifically if I can do that with a GTX275.

2San

So I'm looking for a SSD for around 100 euro. I'd like to have at least 50 GB space. My mobo supports SATA3. I'm running windows 7. The most important thing here is read speed. Any recommendations? I saw to OP for SSD guides, but is there a guide that focuses on cloning your HDD to SSD? I basically want my current HD(the partion that has Windows) copied over to the SSD and clear the old HD. So that I don't have to reinstall everything.

ScRYeD

·feist·;34570247 said:

Like this one.

iHNUieS1BYtph.jpg

Maid PC Case

mkenyon

Banned
In the case of the Core 1000, its so you can remove the HDD bay and have enough room for a long card. If it were on top of a bottom mounted PSU, there'd be clearance issues.

There's also the BitFenix Outlaw which I'm a fan of. It's not form factor, but does accept ITX mobos.

542.png

Additionally, there's the Fractal Core 3000, Fractal Arc Mini, and Fractal Define Mini.

Everything else puts you north of $100.

clav

Oh I suppose I need to clarify why I want a small case.

I want to build a AMD Fusion E350 machine for a casual user who only checks e-mail and surfs the web. I thought a SFF case would make the package nice, but it seems like all of them are priced to break the bank.

I think it seems more tempting to buy this deal than to build one, but I want the setup in a desktop form factor without requiring the user to plug things.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-Bl...Processor-and-Windows-7-Home-Premium/19604212

The current setup is a Shuttle XPC. A big case is not going to work here.

Ideally I would be looking for a case that has a 120mm fan setup as there will be no fans on the motherboard. Power consumption would be bouncing back 15 and 20 watts.

Seems like Lian Li and Silverstone cases have the setup I want, but the prices don't justify a low powered build.

MC RaZaR

Neo Member

Motherboard: It's fine for your needs.

Video Card: 560ti is fine. If you dish out more money, it might last you a year or two longer.

Audio: That board has onboard audio. You don't really need a sound card as onboard audio is usually sufficient. Plus speakers are more important when it comes to quality and that shouldn't be a problem as you have a home theater system.

Wireless: If you want wi-fi, you're going to have to get a wireless card. Get a good card as some might have better reception than others. I don't know which ones are good.

SSD: It only affects loading times, spwan times, loading maps faster, etc. It won't increase your FPS.

PSU: It is definitely sufficient. You probably still have enough power to do some overclocking.

RAM: 8GB is good. Get 1600 MHz if you can, though 1333 is still sufficient.

KevinRo

I've been looking at two cards I can buy locally here and between these two which would be the better buy?

EVGA 560 Ti 448 FTW Edition
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130738

or

MSI 6950 Ti 2gb Twin Frozr ii
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127562

I'm gaming at 1080p now so thats something to consider with the memory on the cards and also I wonder how loud the single fan EVGA will be. Granted the EVGA also has a lifetime warranty correct? And has a tradeup program?

Thanks in advanced!

The 6950 is better for its price.

You can unlock the extra shaders and reflash your bios to a 6970. With the cooler you can keep some of the heat down to overclock it to have the output of a regular 6970.

Rufus

The 6950 is better for its price.

You can unlock the extra shaders and reflash your bios to a 6970. With the cooler you can keep some of the heat down to overclock it to have the output of a regular 6970.
If you're going to bring up shader unlocking, you should mention alongside which models that's actually still possible on.

mkenyon

Banned
If you're going to bring up shader unlocking, you should mention alongside which models that's actually still possible on.
Which is very very few.
Oh I suppose I need to clarify why I want a small case.

I want to build a AMD Fusion E350 machine for a casual user who only checks e-mail and surfs the web. I thought a SFF case would make the package nice, but it seems like all of them are priced to break the bank.

I think it seems more tempting to buy this deal than to build one, but I want the setup in a desktop form factor without requiring the user to plug things.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-Bl...Processor-and-Windows-7-Home-Premium/19604212

The current setup is a Shuttle XPC. A big case is not going to work here.

Ideally I would be looking for a case that has a 120mm fan setup as there will be no fans on the motherboard. Power consumption would be bouncing back 15 and 20 watts.

Seems like Lian Li and Silverstone cases have the setup I want, but the prices don't justify a low powered build.
This is what you want then:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108196

Swag

·feist·;34570247 said:
Recently? Unless you're water-cooling, and/or up for modding, the Cosmos S is kinda outdated. Just saying. I know more than one Cosmos I owner who "downgraded" to a 690 II when they were first released since the stock air cooling is much better.
Nah I bought this about 2 years ago, I got the Cosmos S cause it was the best looking case of the options I was looking at, but honestly some things about it make me regret the purchase a little bit. Will probably get the 690 II when I upgrade to Ivy Bridge.

clav

Thanks, but I don't like the design. :|

I still feel like I'm running around in circles with this.

Maybe I'll wait for 3rd/4th generation AMD Fusion chips to arrive before making a full transition to silent eco computing.

Sucks how in North America there aren't a wide selection of cases like Asia has.

Thanks for all your responses mkenyon.

Aight guys I got a small problem. Just recently (as in like this week only) I have started having BSOD. The error is "unknown hardware error" and what happens its the picture on the monitor locks up, the sound starts stuttering, and then the BSOD pops up.

I haven't installed any new hardware recently. I have a 4.5 GHz overlock on my i5 2500k. I think it may be because I undervolted a bit on the overclock, but not sure. Each BSOD has occurred while I have been playing League of Legends. I have SLI 580's and the temp on each before crash isn't super high its around ~50.

Dunno what to do. Kinda scary stuff, but right when I boot back up it's fine. Just have to shut it down then turn it back on and it's like nothing ever happened.

Think I'm going to undo the overclock.

TheExodu5

Banned
Probably just an overclock stability issue. Nothing to be worried about. Undo the overclock and see if it still happens. If it doesn't, then you might just need to raise the voltage a big when you bring it back up to 4.5GHz.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I'm looking for a SSD for around 100 euro. I'd like to have at least 50 GB space. My mobo supports SATA3. I'm running windows 7. The most important thing here is read speed. Any recommendations? I saw to OP for SSD guides, but is there a guide that focuses on cloning your HDD to SSD? I basically want my current HD(the partion that has Windows) copied over to the SSD and clear the old HD. So that I don't have to reinstall everything.
M4 or Samsung 830 + transfer kit. There should also be free cloning utilities. You just select source and destination and hit go.
I have...plenty of times and the specific questions I asked were not included in the OP
PSU is answered, RAM is answered in the build image, for some reason I skipped over your audio and wireless question.

Z68 board I think is able to do HDMI audio out just fine. Motherboards have audio out. Most have HDMI, Digital, and 2.5mm jack. Some even have coax.
Wireless some boards have but it is less than optimal, you should buy a wireless adapter. Any USB or add-on card you buy should be b/g/n.
SSD can help a bit with MMOs, but in general does not benefit games too greatly. Put your most common played on them for a touch faster load times.

Don't take it personally, I just glossed over and thought 3 of those were answered in the OP.

2San

M4 or Samsung 830 + transfer kit. There should also be free cloning utilities. You just select source and destination and hit go.
I was feeling the Samsung from before. Looking for the Samsung 830 in Dutch retail stores it seems to provide cables and cloning software. Thank you for the info.

MMQwQ.jpg

So with tax return season coming up, ive decided to upgrade some parts of my computer within the next week or two.

Case: powerspec tx-606 to Cooler Master HAF 922
Motherboard: biostar n68s+ to Gigabyte GA-970
RAM: some ddr2 (2x2gb) to G.skill ripjaws 8gb ddr3-1600 (2x4gb)
Heatsink: stock to Cooler Master Hyper 212

Carrying over is the corsair gs600 psu (600 w), nvidia 560 ti gpu and amd phenom ii x4 830, though i am thinking of upgradin the processor to a phenom ii x4 960t . Upgrade worth it?

Also would there be any other suggestions asides from what i have listed? Also would i need additonal cooling since there will be OC involved.

I will also point out the current config has no issues at all. I can run games very well on it and from what ive recorded, while playing the cpu doesnt go above 55 c (sometimes it will hit 60 max rarely).

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Wow the black and white edition of that case is amazing. I have the all black one and I love it to death. That thing is fuckin gorgeous though, wow.

Shambles

So with tax return season coming up, ive decided to upgrade some parts of my computer within the next week or two.

Case: powerspec tx-606 to Cooler Master HAF 922
Motherboard: biostar n68s+ to Gigabyte GA-970
RAM: some ddr2 (2x2gb) to G.skill ripjaws 8gb ddr3-1600 (2x4gb)
Heatsink: stock to Cooler Master Hyper 212

Carrying over is the corsair gs600 psu (600 w), nvidia 560 ti gpu and amd phenom ii x4 830, though i am thinking of upgradin the processor to a phenom ii x4 960t . Upgrade worth it?

Also would there be any other suggestions asides from what i have listed? Also would i need additonal cooling since there will be OC involved.

I will also point out the current config has no issues at all. I can run games very well on it and from what ive recorded, while playing the cpu doesnt go above 55 c (sometimes it will hit 60 max rarely).

Wait >1 year. Make a meaningful upgrade, spend less money and get more computer. You're just spending money to spend money. Go ahead and get the Hyper 212 now though, stock cooling is noisy and ineffective, plus the cooler "should" carry over to your next upgrade.

Wait >1 year. Make a meaningful upgrade, spend less money and get more computer. You're just spending money to spend money. Go ahead and get the Hyper 212 now though, stock cooling is noisy and ineffective, plus the cooler "should" carry over to your next upgrade.

Yeah the hyper 212 was the first priority (cheapest too haha). The only thing that worried me was that I wasn't maybe getting enough cooling with the case and for some reason my memory is always at 40% when not doing anything (keep in mind its a fresh windows install) and 90% while gaming. While the mobo doesn't support ddr3 and since that's cheaper than ddr2, I thought I'd have to upgrade both.

I will admit I'm a noob when it comes to Pc building since I've been using laptops for the past 5 years

Shambles

Yeah the hyper 212 was the first priority (cheapest too haha). The only thing that worried me was that I wasn't maybe getting enough cooling with the case and for some reason my memory is always at 40% when not doing anything (keep in mind its a fresh windows install) and 90% while gaming. While the mono doesn't support ddr3 and since that's cheaper than ddr2, I thought I'd have to upgrade both.

Windows will use about half your memory at any given time to cache your most accessed data. This speeds up the loading of applications and games on your computer. As soon as that memory is needed by an application windows will release it so your games can still make use of the vast majority of your memory. I wouldn't be concerned about it unless your machine starts choking on lack of memory while trying to game.

Branson

My motherboard doesn't seem to support optical out 5.1 sound. In fact I was reading around and most don't. Hdmi out of my video card lets 5.1 go through my receiver and makes it sound fantastic. The only problem is that my tv can't decode 720p correctly as a pc resolution since it over stretches the image and when I make a custom resolution a lot of games dont like that like bf3 as it flickers between resolutions.

I guess my question is can I use hdmi out of my video card as just sound and the VGA input as video? The way I do it now is having both inputs on at the same time. That causes issues lol. BF3 kicks me and rFactor 2s lighting is messed up. Anyway to disable video on the hdmi input and just have sound?
Edit: I think I mean outputs.

Is there a Dolby Digital Live over HDMI solution out there these days?

I know about uncompressed 5.1 over HDMI, but my receiver won't convert that to Dolby Digital for my wireless Mixamp (surround headphone receiver).

Branson

Is there a Dolby Digital Live over HDMI solution out there these days?

I know about uncompressed 5.1 over HDMI, but my receiver won't convert that to Dolby Digital for my wireless Mixamp (surround headphone receiver).

For me HDMI is the only way for me to get ddlive. That's why I just need the audio for it lol.

cilonen

·feist·;34574819 said:
Definitely, definitely not like that one. Buyers should go ahead and pick up a Real Doll while they're at it.

More like this...

snip

Goddamn.

*inserts fist into mouth and bites knuckles*

FourDoor

OK components are slowly starting to arrive for my build and it's time to start looking at some accessories. (man I forgot how big a full tower case was in person until I opened up my NZXT Phantom LOL)

Anyways, what BR Burner do you guys recommend? Will mostly use it to rip my movies to put on the networked server but want to have the option to actually burn a BR disk if needed.

What other nicknacks and accessories do you guys like most on your rig (specialized brackets, leds, fans, etc)? Looking to get ideas to help personalize my build.

scogoth

OK components are slowly starting to arrive for my build and it's time to start looking at some accessories. (man I forgot how big a full tower case was in person until I opened up my NZXT Phantom LOL)

Anyways, what BR Burner do you guys recommend? Will mostly use it to rip my movies to put on the networked server but want to have the option to actually burn a BR disk if needed.

What other nicknacks and accessories do you guys like most on your rig (specialized brackets, leds, fans, etc)? Looking to get ideas to help personalize my build.

Blue CCFL lights and fan controller. For blu ray burner I have a LG WH12LS38 but I think any pioneer, asus, lg or lite-on will be fine. Just pick the best price/best faceplate.

cilonen

Man, my 600T is considerably bigger than I was expecting and that's a midi. For Blu Ray burning I was going to go with a Pioneer BDR-206DBK in bare black. I don't have any physical recommendations to make but that unit gets decent reviews and has a decent BD burning speed. Doesn't seem to be any more expensive than any of the alternatives here either.

FourDoor

Thanks for the input on the burners. I'll start researching them on NewEgg.

And yes this case is a monster compared to my old PC. I don't think it will fit in my nook that I built for my PC in my office. LOL

nubbe

I treated myself with a Core i7-3930K, going from a i5-750 and OMGBBQ! this thing overclock like mad.
Using a Corsair H80 cooler and just increased the BCLK and multiplier and it is working at 4,6GHz without any effort put into it.

Don't think I will ever go back to vanilla Intel CPUs :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom