• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Not sure if you tried this but: Generally your video card control center also has options to fix overscan. I know the AMD CC lets you fix overscan under my digital flat panels > Scaling Options.

As does nvidia, which is under display - adjust desktop size and position - scaling/size : in the nvidia control panel

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Have any of you guys tried to paint over, peel off, or somehow hide the manufacturer logo on the front of your monitors?

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
As does nvidia, which is under display - adjust desktop size and position - scaling/size : in the nvidia control panel

Tried it. Adjusting for either overscan or underscan does nothing, and adjusting forces me to put it into 1814x1014.

Trying to fix it with Powerstrip atm, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Hawk269

Tried it. Adjusting for either overscan or underscan does nothing, and adjusting forces me to put it into 1814x1014.

I had the same issue with my older HDTV. Although it is a 1080p set, for some reason 1920x1080 things would be cut off. I settled for a custom resolution of 1860x1012 in order for the desktop and games to display properly. Good thing though, almost every game with the exception of one reads the custom resolution in-game. Starcraft 2 was the only game that would not read the custom resolution for me. Every other game worked fine and I was able to select that custom resolution for each game.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
I had the same issue with my older HDTV. Although it is a 1080p set, for some reason 1920x1080 things would be cut off. I settled for a custom resolution of 1860x1012 in order for the desktop and games to display properly. Good thing though, almost every game with the exception of one reads the custom resolution in-game. Starcraft 2 was the only game that would not read the custom resolution for me. Every other game worked fine and I was able to select that custom resolution for each game.

Lawd.

After making a custom resolution I realized the aspect ratio was screwed up so I switched back to my VGA cable. Now it's running 1920x1200 perfectly fine. Fucking weird.

just got accepted today, but would just like to say thanks to everyone who helped make the OP possible. Built myself a pretty beast computer (at a reasonable price) using this guide.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So who here has the Silverstone FT03? I know I've seen a few people post their builds with it.
I've started to really warm up to it. Anything you guys have noticed about it after long term use that isn't really covered in the reviews?

The Anandtech article said that a modular PSU is pretty much a must, and even went as far to recommend buying the one Silverstone offers thats specifically designed for the case. What PSUs are you guys using? How is the Strider PSU in general?

scitek

I'll be looking to upgrade my current motherboard/CPU in the next couple of weeks and was wondering if you guys might make some recommendations.

I'd like to play Dolphin better, so something good with OC'ing would be nice, and I'd like the option of using a Crossfire setup or a dedicated Physx card in the future should I want to do either at some point. I currently have a Radeon 6950 w/unlocked shaders running at 6970 clock speeds, so I'm good there, I think.

2500K and mobo of your price bracket.

Ok, so a 2500k is the way to go for a new CPU? Nothing coming in the next couple of weeks I should hold out for, right? lol

Any specific motherboards I should look into for OC'ing or a possible SLI/CFX setup in the future? I'm gonna hang onto this CPU for at least two years, so I'm trying not to forget anything. How much of an upgrade over my current Phenom II (currently OC'd to 3.5GHz) will an OC'd 2500k be? I'm hoping to squeeze out a few extra frames in some of my games at least.

1-D_FTW

Yeah. Nvidia's scale has been broken for years. It used to be Nvidia's worked and ATI's was broken. Now it's reversed. I know a couple of drivers ago they claimed they fixed some things, but I guess not. Just have to go with custom resolutions and hope your games play nice with them (they don't always).

Ok, so a 2500k is the way to go for a new CPU? Nothing coming in the next couple of weeks I should hold out for, right? lol

The Ivy Bridge replacements are coming in a couple months, but not next couple weeks. Slight performance boost and lower TDP (77 vs 95 watts). Not worth waiting for if you need something now, but they are around the corner.

Any specific motherboards I should look into for OC'ing or a possible SLI/CFX setup in the future? I'm gonna hang onto this CPU for at least two years, so I'm trying not to forget anything. How much of an upgrade over my current Phenom II (currently OC'd to 3.5GHz) will an OC'd 2500k be? I'm hoping to squeeze out a few extra frames in some of my games at least.

2500k all the way, just get any good brand Z68. They all OC relatively well. I recommend Asus.

A 2500k at STOCK clocks (3.3 Ghz) will utterly decimate a 3.5 Ghz Phenom II. See here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/...core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/20

35041.png

35048.png

35050.png

The gap only grows further once the 2500k is pushed (easily) to 4.5+ Ghz.

On cases where the psu is mounted on the bottom, should the psu fan be facing up or down?

It should be facing down IF there is a vent/hole below it so that the fan can suck up cool air from the bottom of the case. If there is no vent/hole, it should be facing up.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I would not buy any external that is:
250GB, 320GB, 640GB, 1.5TB, or 3TB
2.5" or 3.5" or mini sized
Not vented

Those are older and all have higher chance of failing IMO.

Apart from that go with whatever and keep track of your external HDD health with SMART.
I see so many bad externals in the shop.

Hellish

A bit longer then a couple weeks in april there will be the 3570k for the same price.

OR if you are willing to spend a little more the i7-3820 comes out this month I believe on the 14th, for $294 and even though its not unlocked I think has been overclocked just over 4.7ghz. With that you would be set for IB-E but I dont know what you plan to spend on a motherboard or future upgrades so this may be out of the question

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Forgive me if some of this info is in the OP, I've been reading it but its a little overwhelming.

ASUS P8Z68-M
Is this a good Micro-ATX board?

Its been quite a while since I've put together a pc. How often do socket changes take place nowadays? Can I expect to purchase a CPU ~18 months after I theoretically purchase this Mobo and still expect it to work?

Oh, and a followup question to those Ft03 owners out there: is there room for a double wide GPU as well as an additional soundcard?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Which? To the monitor? I can try but I doubt since it's only with one of my games.

I was thinking the monitor cable but yeah it's rarely the cable, and especially since it's only one game where you get these artifacts. Which game might that be?

I was thinking the monitor cable but yeah it's rarely the cable, and especially since it's only one game where you get these artifacts. Which game might that be?

Magic: Duels of the planes walker 2012. It was fine until this week I went to play it and it started it. I booted up sonic generations and played for almost an hour without noticing anything like in DotP 2012. Has anyone sent a card back to MSI for repair before? I hope it's not a hassle if it is the card. :/

Romir

So who here has the Silverstone FT03? I know I've seen a few people post their builds with it.
I've started to really warm up to it. Anything you guys have noticed about it after long term use that isn't really covered in the reviews?

The Anandtech article said that a modular PSU is pretty much a must, and even went as far to recommend buying the one Silverstone offers thats specifically designed for the case. What PSUs are you guys using? How is the Strider PSU in general?

I wish I bought a TJ08 instead because its cooler and quieter. I really dislike how the side panels don't "seal" on the FT03. That and the side grill for the psu allow more sound out than my previous cases. The hard drive noise, heat, and vibrations are also bad.

I'm selling mine and switching to a FT02 which I'll save more desk space with by putting it on the floor.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ok. So here is what I've come up with so far.

So any critiques? Will it all fit in the FT03? Any bottlenecks, or useless power? And most importantly- based on this build what GPU do I choose? Do I go all out or midrange? Nvidia? AMD? Rig will be used for nothing but gaming. Including some emulation.

My favorite games are Left4Dead. Which obviously will run well on just about anything these days. But I would LOVE to be able to run BF3 at 1920 on high settings with a bit of AA at 60fps. Also, Bioshock Infinite is a title I'm really excited about.

I wish I bought a TJ08 instead because its cooler and quieter. I really dislike how the side panels don't "seal" on the FT03. That and the side grill for the psu allow more sound out than my previous cases. The hard drive noise, heat, and vibrations are also bad.

I'm selling mine and switching to a FT02 which I'll save more desk space with by putting it on the floor.
Hmm, noted. Oh, and is there room inside the case for a double wide GPU as well as an additional soundcard?

mhayze

Anyone able to cut some costs from this?
wTbOw.png

Cheaper mother board maybe?

Man, that Thailand flooding thing has really done a number on hard drive prices. If you can live without the extra storage for a while, for that price I'd probably pick up an SSD and add a traditional HDD when prices drop - assuming you don't immediately need to transfer a lot of data to that drive.

mhayze

Ok. So here is what I've come up with so far.

So any critiques? Will it all fit in the FT03? Any bottlenecks, or useless power? And most importantly- based on this build what GPU do I choose? Do I go all out or midrange? Nvidia? AMD? Rig will be used for nothing but gaming. Including some emulation.

My favorite games are Left4Dead. Which obviously will run well on just about anything these days. But I would LOVE to be able to run BF3 at 1920 on high settings with a bit of AA at 60fps. Also, Bioshock Infinite is a title I'm really excited about.

Hmm, noted. Oh, and is there room inside the case for a double wide GPU as well as an additional soundcard?

I have an FT02, which I love. Quite interested to learn more about the FT03 for a compact build I will do for a family member. I really love the 90 rotation, I don't know why a lot more cases don't do it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Man, that Thailand flooding thing has really done a number on hard drive prices. If you can live without the extra storage for a while, for that price I'd probably pick up an SSD and add a traditional HDD when prices drop - assuming you don't immediately need to transfer a lot of data to that drive.
Ha, I think I might do the same.

Yeah, small formfactor is an absolute MUST for me. Here is my computer space.
KOPfv.jpg

Spectros64

Neo Member
I recently just purchased and assembled my first pc, but have a few questions.
My pc parts:
i5-2500k, gtx570, 8gb ddr3 ram (1.5 v), asus P8Z68-V Z68, 250gb hdd and 500 gb hdd, hypercooler 212+, 750w psu (keeping upgrading in mind)
got an antec 300, asus vh238h and a logitech 2.1 setup

for installing windows 7 64 bit, i want to put it on the 250gb hdd. should i unplug the other hdd for initial startup to make sure windows puts all data on the right hdd? (neweggtv video said to do this)

if i unplug the hdd, will that raise problems for later with the bios?

do i need to partition my hdd for installing windows?

for windows settings do you recommend "use reccomended settings" or "install important updates only" i will mainly use this pc for gaming and do not want other programs and such i do not need.

do you guys put a password on your pc?

i plan to check if my pc will detect internet without drivers, but if it doesn't, install the lan driver from the mobo disc. when i do this, when i look for the other drivers such as audio, usb, etc. do i still install the latest lan drivers? can i install right over the basic disc drivers for lan?
(going to install usb, audio, etc. from internet once i can access it.)

for my mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131729 will i need any other drivers besides the chipset, internet (lan), usb, and audio drivers?

should i install all my drivers (video card and mobo ones) on the hdd that is has my windows stuff? ( i got the 250gb drive

for plugging my pc in, i plan to connect the pc to a monitor and a 2.1 speaker system. is all i need to do just plug the speaker cables to the mobo spots? and for the monitor, just a cable from the video card to the monitor?

when i do initial setup of windows, does it matter whether i have the speakers plugged in?

thanks for the help in this thread. i have lurked for quite a long time and all the answered questions in the thread helped me out too.

Souther

Banned
I just built a recent PC myself.

Intel Core i5 2500K
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink
Gigabyte P67X-UD3-B3 ATX
MSI Radeon 6870 Hawk 1GB GDDR5
Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 2X2GB DDR3-1600
Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Mid Tower ATX Case Black
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w Modular PSU
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT SP1 DVD OEM
OCZ Agility 3 60GB 2.5IN SATA3 Sandforce SSD

for installing windows 7 64 bit, i want to put it on the 250gb hdd. should i unplug the other hdd for initial startup to make sure windows puts all data on the right hdd? (neweggtv video said to do this)
Windows will ask you which HDD you want to install to. It's labeled with the HDD's model number as well as their respective capacities. Just to keep things clean, make sure your 250GB is set as primary master drive by setting the right jumper settings. The sticker on the HDD should have an indication. The other HDD should be set as primary slave.

if i unplug the hdd, will that raise problems for later with the bios?
No.

do i need to partition my hdd for installing windows?
Partitioning is entirely optional. I don't partition my drives.

for windows settings do you recommend "use reccomended settings" or "install important updates only" i will mainly use this pc for gaming and do not want other programs and such i do not need.
I recommend setting it to manual updating, but automatic checks. You don't want Windows to start downloading updates while you're playing.

do you guys put a password on your pc?
Yes.

i plan to check if my pc will detect internet without drivers, but if it doesn't, install the lan driver from the mobo disc. when i do this, when i look for the other drivers such as audio, usb, etc. do i still install the latest lan drivers? can i install right over the basic disc drivers for lan?
(going to install usb, audio, etc. from internet once i can access it.)

You are much much better off installing the motherboard's drivers rather than relying on the default ones that Windows provides. And yes you should.

should i install all my drivers (video card and mobo ones) on the hdd that is has my windows stuff? ( i got the 250gb drive
Why not? It's the default and drivers are tiny. IIRC, you won't even get asked where you want to install the drivers unless it comes with some kind of support software.

for plugging my pc in, i plan to connect the pc to a monitor and a 2.1 speaker system. is all i need to do just plug the speaker cables to the mobo spots? and for the monitor, just a cable from the video card to the monitor?
Speaker, yes.
Monitor, yes, plus the monitor's power cable to your AVR/UPS.

when i do initial setup of windows, does it matter whether i have the speakers plugged in?
Doesn't matter, plug it later if you don't have it yet.

scitek

2500k all the way, just get any good brand Z68. They all OC relatively well. I recommend Asus.

I'll start looking into these. Is there any place that sells them bundled together like my Phenom II was with its mobo? I don't see any on Newegg.

edit: nm, I found them. $400 for a combo with an Asus motherboard. Is that about what I should expect to pay?

The Ivy Bridge replacements are coming in a couple months, but not next couple weeks. Slight performance boost and lower TDP (77 vs 95 watts). Not worth waiting for if you need something now, but they are around the corner.

A bit longer then a couple weeks in april there will be the 3570k for the same price.

OR if you are willing to spend a little more the i7-3820 comes out this month I believe on the 14th, for $294 and even though its not unlocked I think has been overclocked just over 4.7ghz. With that you would be set for IB-E but I dont know what you plan to spend on a motherboard or future upgrades so this may be out of the question

I don't NEED a replacement now, but the latest and greatest is probably out of my price range. I'll be upgrading my Radeon next year -- I've gotten into the habit of upgrading my CPU/mobo one year, then the video card the next -- so I'd just like a decent upgrade over my Phenom II for a decent price.

kennah

I'm looking for some advice on a random reboot problem I'm having.

Specs:
Q6600
MSI Motherboard (can't remember chipset) - has bulging caps
400W Enermax Modular Power Supply
6850 1gig Powercolour
4 Hard drives (250, 320, 500, 1tb)

Backstory: In October/November (When it had a 4850) my computer started rebooting while under 3dgraphics load or Netflix. Nothing else would cause the problem, but it would reliably be caused by trying to play any game or watching a movie on Netflix in browser. Watching video on the hard drive would be fine. Even HD video. (And SD video on Netflix would still cause the crash).

I borrowed a friends 4650 to troubleshoot and the problems disappeared immediately. Netflix worked fine, and games worked fine - albiet at reduced framerates.

So, I bought a 6850 on Black Friday, installed it and the computer has been running fine, 24 hours a day since until today. The rebooting under load problem came back for games. Netflix still seems to work fine.

tl;dr - troubleshot a bad video card, replaced it and it worked fine for 3 months before causing the original problem again.

Google tells me that this might be a PSU problem. Would that be a good place to start? I'm reluctant to replace the motherboard because it would be a side-grade at best. And can't upgrade without replacing PSU, RAM, CPU and Mobo.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody have a link to that keyboard thread from a ~year ago? I can't find it.

pax217

In regard to those benchmarks; Jesus.

I've always stuck with AMD processors and have always loved each and every one I've owned but it looks like the i5 and i7 are purely undeniable.

400W Enermax Modular Power Supply
Which Enermax is this? If it's one of the cheaper ones, I wouldn't trust a low quality 400W PSU to power a 6850. Really sounds like a PSU issue for me, especially because you only encounter problems on the higher end cards specially under load.

Waste. A Z68 board that doesn't even bundle a K version of the processor. You can get a 2500k plus a Z68 board and still end up spending elss.

scitek

Waste. A Z68 board that doesn't even bundle a K version of the processor. You can get a 2500k plus a Z68 board and still end up spending elss.

Whoops, I didn't notice the lack of a K. Better watch out for that.

edit: literally every other combo I see is upwards of $400+ with a 2500K. How can I get a combo for less than $361?

edit 2: how about this with this?

kennah

Which Enermax is this? If it's one of the cheaper ones, I wouldn't trust a low quality 400W PSU to power a 6850. Really sounds like a PSU issue for me, especially because you only encounter problems on the higher end cards specially under load.

I'll have the side off of it this week and will check. Going to make sure all my fans are going properly to rule out a heat issue.

So I've started looking for a new computer monitor and I honestly have no idea where I should start.

I currently have an Acer X223w LCD TFT / 22in / 1680x1050 / 2500:1 contrast / 5ms response time.

I'm looking for a 24in 1080p monitor, but other than that I don't really know what else I should look for. I've been pretty happy with my monitor, but I would like to have better blacks so should I look for something with a high contrast ratio?

I'm not sure if I need an IPS monitor since I've been happy with my current one, but I would definitely like to upgrade as much as I can in my next monitor for under $300.

The Acer V243HAJbd 24in / 2ms response time / 80,000:1 contrast for $186.95 sounds pretty good, but I'm not an expert.

But there are also some cheap IPS monitors like this AOC I2353PH that can be found for under $200. Is a "cheap" IPS like this still better than a similarly priced non-IPS monitor?

Pachimari

I want to build my own gaming PC, but I have never tried that before, should I jump into it?

Reading the OP it all feels very overwhelming and if I need to import to Denmark, I don't know where to start, probably will check out some of the links.

All I know is, that I'll go for Nvidia, if I want 3D in my games at some point.

What is more important to me is, that I can play all games on the highest settings, money is not an issue. I don't want SSDs though, as I'll try save money where's possible.

Will NewEgg.com send internationally?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I want to build my own gaming PC, but I have never tried that before, should I jump into it?

Reading the OP it all feels very overwhelming and if I need to import to Denmark, I don't know where to start, probably will check out some of the links.

All I know is, that I'll go for Nvidia, if I want 3D in my games at some point.

What is more important to me is, that I can play all games on the highest settings, money is not an issue. I don't want SSDs though, as I'll try save money where's possible.

Will NewEgg.com send internationally?
Denmark should have an excellent selection of PC parts. Better to buy local to have support and warranty.
Check a Denmarkian computer forum on where to buy :p

I'm concerned that my 1TB SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 drive may not be performing well. Whats the best way to test that?

I was using Roadkil Disk Speed Utility but I have no idea what the results should be if the drive is performing normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom