• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

Heads up!

Mwave has Arctic Cooling mx-2 for 3$ shipped.

Great deal for those who want to stock up or need thermal paste, just ordered some myself to try out.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearc...=Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound - 4gram

Ordered. Used the last of my tube when I had to put a new heatsink on my NB. I see the MX-4 scored a degree or so better, but nobody is selling it at the 5.00 dollars they're supposed to (12.99 Newegg?), so I'll stick with this since it's such great consistency. Know what I'm getting with MX-2.

EDIT: Although as a heads up, I'd use Paypal with MWave. Rumors say they sell credit card information.

Ah! Forgot about this thread. I'm in the process of updating my entire computer, aka building a new one. I'm been out of the loop for a bit, so it's a pain getting back into it. Hopefully I can work something out!

XenoRaven

This may be a bit of a dumb question, but I just picked up some studio speakers to use as computer speakers. Specifically the M-Audio AV 40s. Since the speakers don't have optical ins, and my computer doesn't have RCA outs, what do I need to make them all connect? Do I need an additional sound card with the RCA outs, or is there an external device I can use instead?

Swapped out my stock cooler for an H60 and now have my CPU at a modest overclock. Installation was fiddly but easy enough. The only real moment of panic was from two BSODs booting up right after I installed it. I was worried that there wasn't thermal paste on it or I hadn't tightened it up enough, but apparently I had just plugged the pump into the wrong pin connectors. I've got the radiator connected to the fan provided, then took the spare fan and moved it to the top of my case. I think I may have to take it out, though, because it's way louder this way than I anticipated.

larvi

This may be a bit of a dumb question, but I just picked up some studio speakers to use as computer speakers. Specifically the M-Audio AV 40s. Since the speakers don't have optical ins, and my computer doesn't have RCA outs, what do I need to make them all connect? Do I need an additional sound card with the RCA outs, or is there an external device I can use instead?

Something like this should work:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882021058

Radioshack should sell a similar adapter or pigtail cable if you have one nearby.

Big Chungus

Need to upgrade my video card, can someone recommend me a good one around $250 cdn?

Here's my build:

AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Dual Core Processor
OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 Motherboard
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 7200RPM
LG 16X DVD-ROM Optical Drive
Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB 2X4GB PC3-10666
XFX 5770 1gb video card

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Anything wrong with a 6950 1GB?

That's the only 6950 my local pc store has in stock.
Most games at 1080 that you will play and get a playable framerate on will be under 1GB, but if it ever tops that it will chug hard.

Ideally you'd get a 2GB to be safer in the long run if you could.

Omiee

im getting so sick of all the dust that comes in my case, is there any better big case that has good dust filters?

im getting sick of cleaning my case every 2 weeks.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
You'll run into VRAM issues if you game on 1080p.

you mean in 1 of every 50 games + AA? Yeah he'll run into vram issues then.

I have roughly 250 games on steam and I can recall three specific scenarios of old games and brand new that have given me vram issues @2560x1440 :

- BF3 ultra textures ( set textures to high -> no vram issue )
- TW2 ubersampling ( turn ubersampling off derp )
- Mirrors Edge 8xMSAA + physX( settle for 4x or another type of AA )

Obviously games in the future will demand more vram but unless you're building a machine that you plan to last you for half a decade then no you won't run into actual issues with only 1gb of ram at 1920x1080.

Bey hey, if you can get your hands on a 2gb 6950 of course you should get that just keep in mind that a 1gb card works perfectly well for 99% of the games of the market today if you're gaming at 1080p. Worst case scenario is that you'll have to settle with lower amount of AA and one notch lower texture quality, and majority of the time a midrange card will choke on max settings way way way more often than starting to chug due to vram limitations.

Jibbed

you mean in 1 of every 50 games + AA? Yeah he'll run into vram issues then.

I have roughly 250 games on steam and I can recall three specific scenarios of old games and brand new that have given me vram issues @2560x1440 :

- BF3 ultra textures ( set textures to high -> no vram issue )
- TW2 ubersampling ( turn ubersampling off derp )
- Mirrors Edge 8xMSAA + physX( settle for 4x or another type of AA )

Obviously games in the future will demand more vram but unless you're building a machine that you plan to last you for half a decade then no you won't run into actual issues with only 1gb of ram at 1920x1080.

Bey hey, if you can get your hands on a 2gb 6950 of course you should get that just keep in mind that a 1gb card works perfectly well for 99% of the games of the market today if you're gaming at 1080p. Worst case scenario is that you'll have to settle with lower amount of AA and one notch lower texture quality, and majority of the time a midrange card will choke on max settings way way way more often than starting to chug due to vram limitations.

+1.

I'm running a 1GB 560ti at 1080p, and the only time I've seen any kind of slow-downs is when running BF3 on Ultra whilst recording with Fraps at the same time - without Fraps, I have no issues.

Drop a few things to High, and it's smooth as silk. Best £149 I've spent in a while.

Edit: My friend has a 2GB 6950 on an identical system. He doesn't get many more frames than me (+5, if that), but he's never run in to any slow-down issues with games like BF3 and TW2 thus far.

onken

I know everyone is saying to wait these days but can anyone tell me why I shouldn't pull the trigger on a 2500k and 7950 right now?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I know everyone is saying to wait these days but can anyone tell me why I shouldn't pull the trigger on a 2500k and 7950 right now?

Prices could drop on the 7950 in a few months if NVidia releases new GPUs. That's honestly the only reason to wait. Ivy Bridge isn't worth waiting a couple months for in my opinion, performance increases will be minimal unless it overclocks better, but that's not a safe bet since a 2500k OCs incredibly well already.

derFeef

I got me a 2500k this week because Ivy looks like it's not going to be a leap again (and incredible expensive). The price is also unbeatable for the performance you get out of this cpu I think.

RS4-

onken

I got me a 2500k this week because Ivy looks like it's not going to be a leap again (and incredible expensive). The price is also unbeatable for the performance you get out of this cpu I think.

Indeed. Though I guess it makes more sense to go for the 2550k, but I can't see anyone selling that.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Indeed. Though I guess it makes more sense to go for the 2550k, but I can't see anyone selling that.

2550k is basically a 2500k without the integrated graphics. Only cases that would be potentially better is if Intel is binning CPUs so 2550ks are more likely to OC better, or if you aren't getting a Z68 board. P67 is fine, but a lot of people seem to be opting for Z68 now. Yes, having the IGP is useless most of the time, but it's good when you are troubleshooting your GPU.

onken

2550k is basically a 2500k without the integrated graphics. Only cases that would be potentially better is if Intel is binning CPUs so 2550ks are more likely to OC better, or if you aren't getting a Z68 board. P67 is fine, but a lot of people seem to be opting for Z68 now. Yes, having the IGP is useless most of the time, but it's good when you are troubleshooting your GPU.

True. Barring some earth-shattering annoucement I'll be buying 2500k/hd7950/z68 next payday :)

Re: thermal paste, I still have a tube of Arctic Silver something (Ceramic?) from when I built my current rig in 2006. Haven't touched it since, it just sat in a drawer. Is that still usable or should I just get some newer stuff like MX-2 linked above?

1-D_FTW

Re: thermal paste, I still have a tube of Arctic Silver something (Ceramic?) from when I built my current rig in 2006. Haven't touched it since, it just sat in a drawer. Is that still usable or should I just get some newer stuff like MX-2 linked above?

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...ask=view&id=138&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=3

Actually a lot closer than I thought. I still have a tube of Silver Ceramique sitting around. Oh, well, it was only 2.99. And I do like the way MX-2 applies better than anything else I've chosen. Part of me thinks the Ceramique was the stuff that was runny goop. Maybe that's why I still have a mostly unused tube sitting around. I think I'm prejudiced against it for some reason (just can't remember what).

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I've been looking at monitors and have no idea what is a good one to choose. Are the 24inch Dells with all the inputs still among the best? The added inputs are pretty important to me so I could hook up a console or use the VGA for my Dreamcast, etc.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa, never heard of that brand before.

How does that bottle bezel look in person? Its not looking too great on the site. Ugh, its so sad those come with speakers built in. Who would ever want that? The display itself sounds very very nice though. It also sounds like the display does a ton of image processing.. does that affect the response time?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I've been looking at monitors and have no idea what is a good one to choose. Are the 24inch Dells with all the inputs still among the best? The added inputs are pretty important to me so I could hook up a console or use the VGA for my Dreamcast, etc.
Yes they are still nice.
IPS great colors
E-IPS like IPS but cheaper
TN cheapo

How does that bottle bezel look in person? Its not looking too great on the site.
They sponsor Dreamhack over in Europe pretty hard.

AMD Unwraps 2013 CPU/GPU/APU Plans - Understanding AMD's Roadmap & New Direction

How does that bottle bezel look in person? Its not looking too great on the site. Ugh, its so sad those come with speakers built in. Who would ever want that? The display itself sounds very very nice though. It also sounds like the display does a ton of image processing.. does that affect the response time?
Eizo sells a wide range of same size models at varying prices; entry level to high grade pro.

Dells are still solid. You're looking at 2410/2411/2412. Some changes between them, and you may not want the newest model over the older ones. Look at reviews. Quick comparo, ignore prices:

http://www.shopping.com/xSBS-Dell-U2410-dell-u2412m~PRDLT-92064625-109831994
http://www.shopping.com/xSBS-dell-24-inch-p2411h-dell-u2412m~PRDLT-107709502-109831994

nubbe

In a small room it is practical with speakers built in.. for kids
Post processing can be turned off, but sometimes it looks really fun with the Power Gamma settings.

Going from TN to IPS makes you realize how shit TN panels are.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Is there like some super boutique case manufacturer that only fools would buy from? I just got a new job yesterday and now I'm finally not broke so I want to buy some stuff. I started out just looking at that new slimline Alienware PC and now I've moved on to wanting to do my own build. But I just can't find a case I'd be ok with having around.

That half depth antec (or was it silverstone?) case with the slot loading optical drive seems pretty nice. But I'm weary of having to use a mini motherboard. And to be honest its not that great looking. Its like, really really important to me that I adore the case. I'm really picky.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Is there like some super boutique case manufacturer that only fools would buy from? I just got a new job yesterday and now I'm finally not broke so I want to buy some stuff. I started out just looking at that new slimline Alienware PC and now I've moved on to wanting to do my own build. But I just can't find a case I'd be ok with having around.

That half depth antec (or was it silverstone?) case with the slot loading optical drive seems pretty nice. But I'm weary of having to use a mini motherboard. And to be honest its not that great looking. Its like, really really important to me that I adore the case.
There will be a case for you, but it may take a ton of hunting to find it. There's some Japanese mini cases Feist posted a bit back, but they are steeeeeeeeeeep.
mATX mobos shouldn't be a problem, the ASUS one in the OP is good.

More Xigmatek Gigas mATX case:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33615998&postcount=252

XIGMATEK GIGAS Micro ATX Case Review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0CihK5uFKY

Xigmatek Gigas Cube Gehäuse - Caseking TV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Royt7P5QWRE

Rq7Gj.jpg

edit:

That half depth antec (or was it silverstone?) case with the slot loading optical drive seems pretty nice. But I'm weary of having to use a mini motherboard. And to be honest its not that great looking. Its like, really really important to me that I adore the case. I'm really picky.
No need to floss just for the hell of it. There are a lot of great choices at ~$250, or less.

OP recommendations (mid & full towers):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32710803&postcount=17227

Small selection of long term SFF mATX recommendations:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28035167&postcount=18247

Small selection of random boutique SFF (mostly mini-ITX):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34574819&postcount=2530

Random:
Lian Li PC-V700
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34323670&postcount=1911

Cooler Master Cosmos 2
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33942508&postcount=945
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33964785&postcount=1000

BitFenix Shinobi XL
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34402743&postcount=2095

Others.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, I've gone back through most of the posts in this thread. So far the Ft03 is most appealing to me, but I don't really like it all that much.

Back in the day I used to drool over the ATC-110. Especially in black.

Iofti.jpg

I'm assuming they don't sell it anymore, as its about 10 years old now.

Shit, i have to just find an atc110 from somewhere. Nothing else compares.

Hmm, I've gone back through most of the posts in this thread. So far the Ft03 is most appealing to me, but I don't really like it all that much.

Back in the day I used to drool over the ATC-110. Especially in black.

Iofti.jpg

I'm assuming they don't sell it anymore, as its about 10 years old now.

Shit, i have to just find an atc110 from somewhere. Nothing else compares.

Looks great. Alu front?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The whole thing is aluminum, if I recall correctly.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm noticing a trend on all these chassis websites. They all have awful photography.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Hooked up my PC to TV via HDMI and I'm stilling having overscan issues. Now the PC is at least recognizing that it's set to 1920x1080, but I still can't seem to fix the overscan. I've looked everywhere in my TV's menus and there's no option that will fix it.

CSampson

Hooked up my PC to TV via HDMI and I'm stilling having overscan issues. Now the PC is at least recognizing that it's set to 1920x1080, but I still can't seem to fix the overscan. I've looked everywhere in my TV's menus and there's no option that will fix it.

Not sure if you tried this but: Generally your video card control center also has options to fix overscan. I know the AMD CC lets you fix overscan under my digital flat panels > Scaling Options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom