• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebur

I want to change my graphic cards.

My PC actual configuration:

MB: Asus Xtreme Striker
Core: Quad 6600
RAM: 4Gb OC Kingston
Graphics: 2xGTS 250 OC SLI

I want to change my SLI configuration with:

2xGTX560 DirectCU II Top (OC:925MHz) 1GB GDDR5 Asus 189,95 €
SLI

What do you think?

Thanks! :)

SLI

What do you think?

1 GB VRAM sucks, don't do it. Get the 2 GB VRAM 560 Ti's.

Hey, does anybody know if the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 is decent for gaming at all?

I've heard it's a great ergonomic keyboard, and it obviously wouldn't be ideal for gaming, but I'm wondering if it's a terrible gaming keyboard or not...

I typed on one in Best Buy for a few minutes awhile ago, and it felt nice. Just out of curiosity, I set my hands on WASD, and that felt good, except for the CTRL key. It felt really awkward to reach the control key when on WASD. Might've just been the angle I was on.

It's on sale at NewEgg right now, so considering buying it.

Get it. I use one and it's awesome. At first it seems weird due to the split/angled nature of it, but after a day it seems natural. Extremely comfortable to type and game on. I play Battlefield 3 on mine all the time and it's very effective.

AS5 has a curing period.

Don't know why it's still recommended when there are other thermal pastes like OCZ Freeze or Arctic Cooling MX-4 that last forever and are safer than silver-based pastes.

How did you apply the AS5 on the 212+?

Well unfortunately the AS5 is all I have at the moment. Thinking about getting MX-4 in the future. And I applied it by putting a small dot on the middle of the processor and then just applying the heatsink on top of it

You are fine. Intel Burn Test is serious business.

I'd hope so, I started to panic a bit getting up to temps of 80c when I read that people aren't going over 60c.

Smokey

SLI

What do you think?

Since you already have a SLI config I'm sure you're aware of some of the drawbacks and are ok with them. With that said make sure you have enough room for 2x DCII cards as they are triple slot. 1GB is also really low there are options in the 2GB+ range that would serve you much better in the long run.

Still on my monitor buying nightmare crusade... are there any reasons why I SHOULD NOT buy one of these?

Dell UltraSharp U2412M

monitor-dell-u2412m-overview1-new.jpg

Reviews seem very good generally.

iNvid02

Still on my monitor buying nightmare crusade... are there any reasons why I SHOULD NOT buy one of these?

Dell UltraSharp U2412M

monitor-dell-u2412m-overview1-new.jpg

Reviews seem very good generally.

if your settled on IPS then go for it, i have an old 30" dell and they are great with IPS display, great viewing angles, perfect for photo editing, and with built in USB ports and card readers.

but i recently experienced 120hz gaming at a friends house and it was excellent, definitely noticeable compared to 60fps, plus the much better response time made a big difference.

there is no IPS 120hz out there yet (although i think it is coming soon, maybe this year or next), so until then you gotta decide what you value most

when i get my next monitor it will most likely be 120hz, hopefully some IPS 120hz screens are available by then

I almost never game any more, and when I do, it's not anything like multiplayer FPS. Besides that, I have a very fast Samsung sat right next to it which would likely do the job for that sort of thing.

So for this purchase it's going to be mostly about having a solid, dependable monitor for work I reckon.

iNvid02

then go for it

not sure if the warranty is the same on the 24" as the 30", but about 6 months
in mine stopped turning on. i called dell, got a replacement the next day and the
faulty one taken away. great service.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I've had a dell u2311 and I now have a dell u2711

I think they've both been amazing monitors. Only letdown with my current monitor is that I simply wish it had less input lag, though I have only noticed it clearly in one game ( street fighter ).

if your settled on IPS then go for it, i have an old 30" dell and they are great with IPS display, great viewing angles, perfect for photo editing, and with built in USB ports and card readers.

but i recently experienced 120hz gaming at a friends house and it was excellent, definitely noticeable compared to 60fps, plus the much better response time made a big difference.

there is no IPS 120hz out there yet (although i think it is coming soon, maybe this year or next), so until then you gotta decide what you value most

when i get my next monitor it will most likely be 120hz, hopefully some IPS 120hz screens are available by then

This is probably the shittiest thing about tech right now. I have a Dell u2711 on my desk sitting beside my acer 120Hz monitor. I have to decided between Image Quality and Speed. I'm probably twice as good at TF2 at 120Hz as I am at 60Hz.

TheExodu5

Banned
I don't think we'll see a 120Hz IPS...I don't think the panels are responsive enough. I think that until OLED makes its way to PC displays, we're stuck choosing in between image quality and performance.

Personally, I went the IQ route. I'm using a 32" Sony (PVA panel). Wonderful blacks, great colors, but ghosting/input lag are more prominent than in TN panels.

If you need that extra competitive edge in reflex based games (Counter-Strike, Quake, Street Fighter), then go TN. If you want a much better looking picture, go IPS.

scogoth

Get it. I use one and it's awesome. At first it seems weird due to the split/angled nature of it, but after a day it seems natural. Extremely comfortable to type and game on. I play Battlefield 3 on mine all the time and it's very effective.

Lol no wonder you so bad at bf3.

Also getting a wrist rest for keyboard and mouse saved me from carpel tunnel. Then again my gaming sessions normally last 4-8 hours. Now if only I can making lasting that long a transferable skill.......

Yoritomo

I was running Intel Burn Test and I have a feeling these temps are a bit high under Maximum for an i5-2500k. Any input?

http://i.imgur.com/RkvTW.jpIMG]

Keep in mind that I am using the Hyper 212+ cooler on it with AS5 paste.[/QUOTE]

You're fine.

Intel Burn test is nuts. The max under something like prime95 would be 5-10 degrees cooler.

Smokey

Funny you say that. I'm always looking for places to upgrade and I was thinking monitor. Going to a 27''-30'' 1440p/1600p monitor. Currently using a 23'' 120hz monitor and I always think if I went back to 60hz it might be worse than I realize. I've had this monitor since I built my machine last year, and before that I didn't game on a PC in years. So in a way 120hz is all that I know and don't know any better.

Might be best that I stay at 120hz as I play FPS the most on my machine.

scogoth

Funny you say that. I'm always looking for places to upgrade and I was thinking monitor. Going to a 27''-30'' 1440p/1600p monitor. Currently using a 23'' 120hz monitor and I always think if I went back to 60hz it might be worse than I realize. I've had this monitor since I built my machine last year, and before that I didn't game on a PC in years. So in a way 120hz is all that I know and don't know any better.

Go 3x 27in ASUS 120hz monitors.

Smokey

Go 3x 27in ASUS 120hz monitors.

Plan to add two 23'' Asus 120hz monitors to the one I already have. In fact I almost did this past week but held off as I wanted to get a stand to hold the 3 monitors as well.

After I do that I can honestly say I'm probably done.

Plan to add two 23'' Asus 120hz monitors to the one I already have. In fact I almost did this past week but held off as I wanted to get a stand to hold the 3 monitors as well.

Sure you are.....

(Inb4 Smokey posts pics of his case with SLI 680's/780's if they do indeed skip a #ing)

Smokey

Sure you are.....

(Inb4 Smokey posts pics of his case with SLI 680's)

nah i'm 100% serious and i think you said that last time lol

unless the next gen of nvidia cards absolutely kills the 580...i'm probably sticking where i am. i already have 3gb of vram so they would have to point and laugh at the 580 in performance to get me to upgrade.

clav

nah i'm 100% serious and i think you said that last time lol

unless the next gen of nvidia cards absolutely kills the 580...i'm probably sticking where i am. i already have 3gb of vram so they would have to point and laugh at the 580 in performance to get me to upgrade.

How much has your electricity bill increased since the upgrade?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'd hope so, I started to panic a bit getting up to temps of 80c when I read that people aren't going over 60c.
Well you pic was small so I barely read the Max temps of 80C.
That is higher than it should be.

If you run Prime95, OCCT, or ORTHOS what temp does your CPU hit?
What does it hit in games?

It should be under 65C for those. That's assuming you are at a fixed 1.3V and it is not going higher than that.
If it's higher than that you should remount the heatsink.

Celcius

°Temp. member

What pc speakers do you use?

Spectros64

Neo Member
I just built a PC with 2 HDs. I thought I would use one for Windows OS and drivers etc. and the other for all else. I have a 250gb for windows and a 500gb

I just installed windows and drivers and just initialized my 500gb hdd. i am looking to get some other programs on my pc and am wondering how to make sure it will go on my 500gb hdd. all my documents folders, etc. are on the 250gb hdd. do I have to setup the other hdd with that stuff or no?

Basically my question is how do you manage 2 hard drives with certain things on one and all else on another? What do you do to keep them separate?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I just built a PC with 2 HDs. I thought I would use one for Windows OS and drivers etc. and the other for all else. I have a 250gb for windows and a 500gb

I just installed windows and drivers and just initialized my 500gb hdd. i am looking to get some other programs on my pc and am wondering how to make sure it will go on my 500gb hdd. all my documents folders, etc. are on the 250gb hdd. do I have to setup the other hdd with that stuff or no?

Basically my question is how do you manage 2 hard drives with certain things on one and all else on another? What do you do to keep them separate?

Looks like you were the same person who asked about that before. I posted a response but I have no idea if you saw it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34862361&postcount=3119

For saving files and whatnot, you just need to set up your libraries the way you want them. Make directories for documents/music/videos/etc on the second HDD and add those to the respective libraries, then remove the original ones from C:.

For installing programs, the best thing to do is just manually set installation directories to a program files folder on the second drive with each program. You can set up Windows to use that as the default program installation path, but I've heard issues can come up if you do that.

You can also use Symlink Creator to put things on the second drive physically but they'll still appear on C: from in Windows. But unless you're using an SSD and want to move some heavily rewritten directory there's really no reason to do that.

gatti-man

I almost never game any more, and when I do, it's not anything like multiplayer FPS. Besides that, I have a very fast Samsung sat right next to it which would likely do the job for that sort of thing.

So for this purchase it's going to be mostly about having a solid, dependable monitor for work I reckon.

Then go bigger. I use a 30" from HP and love it.

mkenyon

Banned
Quick stop in, thought I'd post this up for folks interested. This is mostly for Exodu5, as this is pretty much exactly the case he'd like to see.

[quote="Silverstone Website']
Introduced in 2004, the TJ04 has been a main stable of SilverStone’s prestigious Temjin series of tower chassis. Its excellent original design needed only a few minor tweaks and improvements over the years to keep up with the demands of modern PC hardware. An important equation in keeping the TJ04 a popular choice among system builders was its understated and classic styling. So in designing the TJ04-E (Evolution), SilverStone engineers kept the exterior styling largely unchanged while vastly improving the internals.
The power supply is now bottom-mounted with the ability to accommodate up to four 5.25” drives, nine 3.5” hard drives and six SSDs, raising the bar significantly for storage capacity in a mid tower format. In addition to increased storage capacity, the TJ04-E can also install cards up to 17 inches without the need to remove any hard drive cage, a feat usually accomplished in full towers. To make sure the myriad of component can operate effectively, the TJ04-E includes a custom cooling solution to reduce hard drive temperatures and two custom cables with built-in capacitors to facilitate cable management and improve drive stability.

To finish up TJ04-E’s already impressive layout efficiency, design details borrowed from other great SilverStone products such as positive pressure and quick removable filters will enable users to easily maintain consistently high performance for years to come. So it is possible that TJ04-E, like its predecessor, will again be able to outlast many generations of PC builds.

Special Features
Positive pressure design for effective dust reduction
Support eight expansion slots and extra long graphic cards up to 17 inches
Classically styled 7mm thick aluminum front panel
Quick access and removal for fan filters
Smart backside cable routing design
Motherboard back plate opening for quick CPU cooler assembly
Support up to nine 3.5” hard drives and multiple 2.5” drive slots
Built-in innovative hard drive cooler
Includes two custom SATA cable for improved cable management[/quote]

331x404px-LL-18dd01dd_silverstone_tj04-e_s01.jpeg

440x408px-LL-6ed8bda3_silverstone_tj04-e_s02.jpeg

431x411px-LL-ff2f9f8f_silverstone_tj04-e_s03.jpeg

560x420px-LL-7536fe57_TJ04-E-01.jpeg

More at Overclock.net, and Silverstone's Official Website.

Also, if Feist has already posted, sorry :p

TheExodu5

Banned
:OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

Have I finally found the right case? Would prefer less 5" bays, but that's not such a big deal (and kind of expected for the TJ series). edit: oh, it can still fit 9 HDDs? Nevermind then...that's awesome.

Ports at the top as well? Yep. I think this is the one.

But...not in any rush yet...not in the mood to rebuild at this point, so we'll see what happens. Maybe they'll redo the FT01 as well...I'd love to see it updated.

1-D_FTW

As I feared. Upgrading to the new Seasonic PSU was anti-climatic.

It's not a single watt more efficient than my 4 year old 80Plus Earth Watts was.

The modular design, which I thought would be amazing, really is a major negative with my custom built case. I won't bore with details, but because of its unique ergonomics, the really stiff modular cables are a definite downer. Had to remove a fan just to be able to get the hard drives SATA power chords connected (and my PCI-E cables are bent in a not favorable position).

The worst part is, it's not even the power supply that's my root issue. My motherboard is the one that's about to give up the ghost. This Gigabyte's been living on life support (various issues) for a couple years now. But it now has moments where it won't go to sleep. This is why I thought it was the power supply.

Awhile ago, when I put it to sleep, the display went off, but all the fans kicked into high gear. And there was no way to recover. Had to pull the plug. This happened periodically. One day, however, I was really pissed and pulled the plug real quick. As soon as the fans died, I slammed it back in the outlet. To my surprise, it didn't reboot. It recovered out of sleep and my desktop snapped right onto my monitor. Initially thought I'd pulled the monitor cable.

The second time I tried this, I waited too long to plug it back in and it restarted. But I soon was able to pull it off again. Plug was clean out of the outlet, the fans shut down, and quickly reinserting it allowed me to come back out of sleep.

I've gone a couple months without this happening. Then it happened a couple times last week. Both times I recovered by quickly pulling the plug clean from the outlet and quickly getting it back in.

The new power supply just did the same thing. I had it plugged into my Kill-a-watt device. At idle in Windows, it uses 98 watts. In sleep mode, it uses like 3 watts. As it hung trying to go to sleep (and the fans all kicked into overdrive), it was using 45 watts. I quickly unplugged it and plugged it back in. It went up to 85 watts, but my monitor never kicked in and I had to pull the plug again. It wouldn't recover with this new PSU. So I had to let it sit out.

Long story and no solution (it's why I'll be upgrading to Ivy Bridge even though there's no great need from a performance POV), but I just thought I'd share the rather unbelievable story of how a computer has a couple milliseconds of life with no power if you're quick enough.

Well you pic was small so I barely read the Max temps of 80C.
That is higher than it should be.

If you run Prime95, OCCT, or ORTHOS what temp does your CPU hit?
What does it hit in games?

It should be under 65C for those. That's assuming you are at a fixed 1.3V and it is not going higher than that.
If it's higher than that you should remount the heatsink.

Well I took off the heatsink and saw that the paste didn't spread like I thought it would so the outer edges were exposed, but I re applied the paste and covered the whole thing pretty thin and resat the heatsink pretty tight. Still hitting 80 on Prime 95. I just reapplied the paste like an hour ago.

The voltage does fluctuate a bit from 1.304 to 1.31v

TheExodu5

Banned
As I feared. Upgrading to the new Seasonic PSU was anti-climatic.

It's not a single watt more efficient than my 4 year old 80Plus Earth Watts was.

The modular design, which I thought would be amazing, really is a major negative with my custom built case. I won't bore with details, but because of its unique ergonomics, the really stiff modular cables are a definite downer. Had to remove a fan just to be able to get the hard drives SATA power chords connected (and my PCI-E cables are bent in a not favorable position).

Yeah, modular sleeved cables really don't save much space. They're a bit more useful in my case where you have a 850W PSU powering a single GPU (since I dropped from SLI).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Well I took off the heatsink and saw that the paste didn't spread like I thought it would so the outer edges were exposed, but I re applied the paste and covered the whole thing pretty thin and resat the heatsink pretty tight. Still hitting 80 on Prime 95. I just reapplied the paste like an hour ago.

The voltage does fluctuate a bit from 1.304 to 1.31v
Shouldn't spread it out thin, it's the tiny air pockets we want to avoid. Spread not super important. Just a 4-5mm ball in the center, pressed down firm should be enough.

Are you positive it is mounted correctly or with enough pressure? It has cure time, but it should not be getting this hot.
Do the updated RealTemp and Coretemp display the same temperature? Case fans working? It it exhausting the right way?

It's possible the IHS on your chip just might be poorly connected, was it very hot at stock as well?

Shouldn't spread it out thin, it's the tiny air pockets we want to avoid. Spread not super important. Just a 4-5mm ball in the center, pressed down firm should be enough.

Are you positive it is mounted correctly or with enough pressure? It has cure time, but it should not be getting this hot.
Do the updated RealTemp and Coretemp display the same temperature? Case fans working? It it exhausting the right way?

It's possible the IHS on your chip just might be poorly connected, was it very hot at stock as well?

Here is a set up of how my fans are. Intake in the front, exhaust on the top and back. the wires have been cleaned up and the HDDs are now at the bottom and the middle cage has been taken out for better intake air flow.

imag0027dh.jpg

While playing a quick game of BF3 online, my temperatures maxed out at 65c

Right now my idle temps are (via HWMonitor):

Core #0: 36c
Core #1: 41c
Core #2: 39c
Core #3: 39c
Package temp: 41c

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Unless it's 28C in your room your temps should not be that high.
How old is the AS5?

Possible you might just have a hot chip if everything else seems to line up.

kennah

So my problem has gotten worse in a way that confirms motherboard. Since a new powersupply is a good idea with the new video card anyway i talked my wife into an upgrade from my q6600 to a 2500k!

Currently I have a Zalman 9700 for my cpu fan. What do you all recommend for a quiet fan to put on the processor? Overclocking isnt really all that important to me, want something nice and quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom