• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazoo

Hey guys I just built my PC a couple days ago and I am already having heat issues? Right now the core temps are at between 46C and 56C. I seriously don't think it should be that high :( this is an i5-2500k with a Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 board... if there is anything else I need to post let me know :/ but I need help asap.. please??

Also for some odd reason my Windows 7 SP 1 won't install either ugh even with the hotfix..

fushi

GAF, I have a question. Or rather a problem I need solving.

I have a PC and a receiver sitting across the room, out of reach. I used to have it next to my PC and twist the volume knob whenever I needed to, disregarding Windows' internal Volume settings completely. Now I need an alternative to that, some sort of knob-based solution that would deal with the digital volume settings inside Windows in an analogue manner.

I was thinking that there would be some sort of front panel solution for this, something I could tuck into my 5 1/4" bay and be done with it, but... I couldn't find anything. The only thing close enough was this Powermate thingie:

powermate.jpg

Anything else you guys know that would fit my needs? A decent keyboard with a volume knob, for example?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Hey guys I just built my PC a couple days ago and I am already having heat issues? Right now the core temps are at between 46C and 56C. I seriously don't think it should be that high :( this is an i5-2500k with a Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 board... if there is anything else I need to post let me know :/ but I need help asap.. please??

Also for some odd reason my Windows 7 SP 1 won't install either ugh even with the hotfix..

Are you using the stock intel heatsink?

Heppell

Banned
Noooooooooooooo!! God what have I done??? When I first connected my new computer to the Internet it worked fine, but I cleaned installed my computer and it won't connect to the internet because it says it doesn't recononised my modem and it says I need to install software for the modem but my modem is like 10 years old and I don't have any of it's CDs... I'm so fucked..I'm posting from my iPod, if you needed to know.

Sethos

Banned
Noooooooooooooo!! God what have I done??? When I first connected my new computer to the Internet it worked fine, but I cleaned installed my computer and it won't connect to the internet because it says it doesn't recononised my modem and it says I need to install software for the modem but my modem is like 10 years old and I don't have any of it's CDs... I'm so fucked..I'm posting from my iPod, if you needed to know.

You could give us that name and model of said modem, someone would probably be able to find some drivers you can use. Also, what OS are you on now.

Heppell

Banned
It's called the Motorola surfboard cable modem model SB5100 it was quite popular back in the day, but I'm from Australia so I don't know how popular it was overseas if that matters at all. Would I have 2 download it from another computer and transfer it, I guess? Oh and it W7 home premium

Sethos

Banned
It's called the Motorola surfboard cable modem model SB5100 it was quite popular back in the day, but I'm from Australia so I don't know how popular it was overseas if that matters at all. Would I have 2 download it from another computer and transfer it, I guess?

Read this on another forum;

"I have the Motorola SB5101 that would use the same Vista driver for yours at Motorola for a 32-bit OS. However, they recommend in the readme file that for a 64-bit OS, you should connect the modem using ethernet instead of USB. This way you will not need to install any driver for the modem."

That's the 101 model, can you do the same?

Also, can't you hook up that iPod to the PC and use that as a 'modem to surf the web while finding the drivers or is that iPhone only?

Heppell

Banned

"I have the Motorola SB5101 that would use the same Vista driver for yours at Motorola for a 32-bit OS. However, they recommend in the readme file that for a 64-bit OS, you should connect the modem using ethernet instead of USB. This way you will not need to install any driver for the modem."

Also, can't you hook up that iPod to the PC and use that as a 'modem to surf the web while finding the drivers or is that iPhone only?
I have the sb5100 and I connect it with a Ethernet into my router, I guess I have to get the drivers

Heppell

Banned

I'll just download from my laptop, probably much easier

TheExodu5

Banned

Those temps are fine. Below 70C you're golden.

larvi

GAF, I have a question. Or rather a problem I need solving.

I have a PC and a receiver sitting across the room, out of reach. I used to have it next to my PC and twist the volume knob whenever I needed to, disregarding Windows' internal Volume settings completely. Now I need an alternative to that, some sort of knob-based solution that would deal with the digital volume settings inside Windows in an analogue manner.

I was thinking that there would be some sort of front panel solution for this, something I could tuck into my 5 1/4" bay and be done with it, but... I couldn't find anything. The only thing close enough was this Powermate thingie:

Anything else you guys know that would fit my needs? A decent keyboard with a volume knob, for example?

How about this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998082

fushi

Still on my monitor buying nightmare crusade... are there any reasons why I SHOULD NOT buy one of these?

Dell UltraSharp U2412M

monitor-dell-u2412m-overview1-new.jpg

Reviews seem very good generally.
Based on this thread I recommended this to a friend who 1) plays games and 2) does a lot of digital painting and the like. She absolutely loves it.
Very interesting, will look into this.

Edit: The Veris Elite seems to be exactly what I am looking... strange how I could not find something like that via google. Thanks!

http://store.antec.com/Product/accessory-veris_media/veris-elite/0-761345-30125-1.aspx

Irnbru

What case do you have?

If you wait for Kepler, the cards will run cooler due to the smaller nm process.

Up to you. The most important part is what are the idle and load temperatures of the card?

If you really can't tolerate the noise, then post again.

Yeah, really can't tolerate the noise, super annoying late, its running fine at around 40 idle, and 60-70 under load, but man it sounds like a vaccum, Id wait, but dunno when they are supposed to come in lol

OatmealMu

After multiple updates, my 5750s' display drivers keep resetting. My computer generally recovers from the error, but has blue screened on occasion, and that's the last thing I need while working in Photoshop. I typically switch between nVidia and ATI when I update, so I'm looking for an nVidia card this time around. At around $150, what am I looking at for a quiet card? I was thinking of something from EVGA, since I hear they have a decent warranty. Whoever I go with, a little screamer of a card is out of the question.

Thoughts?

clav

After multiple updates, my 5750s' display drivers keep resetting. My computer generally recovers from the error, but has blue screened on occasion, and that's the last thing I need while working in Photoshop. I typically switch between nVidia and ATI when I update, so I'm looking for an nVidia card this time around. At around $150, what am I looking at for a quiet card? I was thinking of something from EVGA, since I hear they have a decent warranty. Whoever I go with, a little screamer of a card is out of the question.

Thoughts?

Go grab a GTX 550 Ti if that's the budget.

Generally stock coolers are very poor with the exception of the MSI Twin Frozr cards. You want to see how big the fan is as most of the time, manufacturers just slap on a large aluminum block with a very small fan to left center of the card. A small fan requires higher RPMs to push more air; therefore that high rpm causes noise and whine that many people do not like. A bigger fan can push more air at slower RPMs; therefore slower action induces quieter operating performance.

edit: I forgot to ask. What are you currently using for the power supply?
Yeah, really can't tolerate the noise, super annoying late, its running fine at around 40 idle, and 60-70 under load, but man it sounds like a vaccum, Id wait, but dunno when they are supposed to come in lol

What's the case you're currently using?

Aftermarket GPU coolers can be very large.

The smallest one I can think that will fit would be the Zalman VF900-CU ($40 USD) although cooling performance is subpar. Quiet though.
If your case allows it, I would use the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 (requires bending the heatpipe and adding 120mm fans) or XTREME Plus ($50 USD, supposedly fits all GTX 4XX cards). You do need a lot of room to use either of these heatsinks though.

Is there anything installed underneath the current graphics card right now?

Also, who manufactured your GTX 460? Although cards can have the same model number, manufacturers can play around with the design and orientation of capacitors and other transistors to fit heatsink on there. I'll need to check if those heatsinks fit.

edit: This thread will be handy: http://www.overclock.net/t/827886/gtx-460-560-560-ti-aftermarket-air-cooler-non-reference-list

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Is this a good or bad time to buy an SSD? I had an SSD in my last pc, an OCZ Vertex 2 to be precise and I loved it to death. For some horrible reason I decided that an SSD was out of my budget for this one.

But I can't take it anymore, I miss having my OS on an SSD. So yeah, is it a good/bad time buying one now?

clav

Is this a good or bad time to buy an SSD? I had an SSD in my last pc, an OCZ Vertex 2 to be precise and I loved it to death. For some horrible reason I decided that an SSD was out of my budget for this one.

But I can't take it anymore, I miss having my OS on an SSD. So yeah, is it a good/bad time buying one now?

Rumor has it a significant price drop will occur for SSDs in the next two months.

It's a rumor, so take it as a grain of salt. If you just want to jump in now go ahead.

Corky

Rumor has it a significant price drop will occur for SSDs in the next two months.

It's a rumor, so take it as a grain of salt. If you just want to jump in now go ahead.

Nah I'm not in that of a hurry, for now it's just a luxury upgrade.

sk3tch

Samsung 830 drives are priced really nice, especially the 256GB variety. Currently $340 (after coupon) at NewEgg shipped. I have owned one since launch (October) in my MacBook Pro and I just bought two more for my gaming PC. Great reliability/value/performance.

If I were you I would not wait. Once you use an SSD you can never go back to HDD.

clav

Care to point to an article/forum post or explain why that would be?

Two things:

1. OCZ showed off TLC NAND drives set to debut sometime soon. Although TLC NAND is used in flash drives these days, bringing it to the SSD will create a low-tier market, and overall push the market SSD prices down. What's significant about TLC NAND is it will allow manufacturers to put more memory per density; thus will reduce production cost. Savings can be passed down to customers.

2. Last year, various manufacturers showcased the 20nm NAND MLC process. This means higher yields in SSD chips, which means lower production costs.

Again, just speculation. Grain of salt.

If you have to have a SSD, then go for one.

Hey guys. I built a computer around late Oct 2011. There are times when it constantly freezes, 90% of the time when I'm watching Youtube or streaming (flash) and 10% randomly. Sometimes I could go 1-2 days without it freezing, though. I would get an error that the display driver failed and has restored. I bought my graphics card in Dec so I could finally play some games and I thought it may be the integrated graphics causing the problem. Problem still occurs. (video of what happens http://youtu.be/_C4aA0H7eW0 . Note the date... it still happens =[ )

Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V PRO
CPU: Intel i5 2500k 3.3GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560Ti
Case: Lancool PC-K58
Storage: Samsung 1TB HDD

I've gone through plenty of solutions via Google/forums and none have worked. I ran MemTest and passed. I put my PSU in my brother's PC and his computer still worked fine (I think I should test this further. I only tested it for ~4hrs and I didn't test his PSU in my PC). I've reformatted my HDD and restarted my BIOS.

My initial thought was the PSU but now I'm leaning towards either the mobo or processor. I can play games fine, surprisingly, but risk freezing if I play flash. GAF, do you have any idea what's going on with my computer?

scogoth

Two things:

1. OCZ showed off TLC NAND drives set to debut sometime soon. Although TLC NAND is used in flash drives these days, bringing it to the SSD will create a low-tier market, and overall push the market SSD prices down. What's significant about TLC NAND is it will allow manufacturers to put more memory per density; thus will reduce production cost. Savings can be passed down to customers.

2. Last year, various manufacturers showcased the 20nm NAND MLC process. This means higher yields in SSD chips, which means lower production costs.

KK thanks. I have 4 already so I'm set just wanted to keep up with the latest.

Irnbru

Go grab a GTX 550 Ti if that's the budget.

Generally stock coolers are very poor with the exception of the MSI Twin Frozr cards. You want to see how big the fan is as most of the time, manufacturers just slap on a large aluminum block with a very small fan to left center of the card. A small fan requires higher RPMs to push more air; therefore that high rpm causes noise and whine that many people do not like. A bigger fan can push more air at slower RPMs; therefore slower action induces quieter operating performance.

edit: I forgot to ask. What are you currently using for the power supply?

What's the case you're currently using?

Aftermarket GPU coolers can be very large.

The smallest one I can think that will fit would be the Zalman VF900-CU ($40 USD) although cooling performance is subpar. Quiet though.
If your case allows it, I would use the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 (requires bending the heatpipe and adding 120mm fans) or XTREME Plus ($50 USD, supposedly fits all GTX 4XX cards). You do need a lot of room to use either of these heatsinks though.

Is there anything installed underneath the current graphics card right now?

Also, who manufactured your GTX 460? Although cards can have the same model number, manufacturers can play around with the design and orientation of capacitors and other transistors to fit heatsink on there. I'll need to check if those heatsinks fit.

edit: This thread will be handy: http://www.overclock.net/t/827886/gtx-460-560-560-ti-aftermarket-air-cooler-non-reference-list

I've got a galaxy 460, yeah my case would allow it, got a huge cooler master scout, might just go with the extreme plus, seems to be the best

Corky

Samsung 830 drives are priced really nice, especially the 256GB variety. Currently $340 (after coupon) at NewEgg shipped. I have owned one since launch (October) in my MacBook Pro and I just bought two more for my gaming PC. Great reliability/value/performance.

If I were you I would not wait. Once you use an SSD you can never go back to HDD.

Yeah I have my eyes on the 830, still not sure if I should jump in yet.

mkenyon

Banned
Worth it. Every penny. Saving a small bit of money possibly maybe 2 months down the line is such a silly thing to wait on. Just grab the next good deal you see come up on a Force GT/Samsung XXX/Crucial.

Now that my gaming is literally confined to T:A and the occasional Dota 2, I've moved entirely away from mechanical HDD's outside of recording T:A games, as well as hosting media on the file server.

Feels good man, really good. 90GB used to be my go-to, but I really like 120/128GB now. Just the right amount of space to cram your currently played games on to, while still having breathing room.

1-D_FTW

Hey guys, first time posting here.

I'm looking to buy a new video card and I was thinking of this one, it comes with 2 games I was going to buy so it seems like a good deal:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500231

My current rig is :
Intel Core i5 2500K
Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3
Kingston 8gb RAM
1TB HDD
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W

Since the card requires 600 watt minimum, do you think that psu is good enough?

Plenty.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16814162090

In case you're looking to save some money. 20 percent off with the coupon, plus comes with Batman and 20 MIR. So 220 after MIR.

Edit: Quick glance at reviews says it's not an over-clocker. Probably not worth saving the extra money unless you really wanna save that little extra.

Plenty.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16814162090

In case you're looking to save some money. 20 percent off with the coupon, plus comes with Batman and 20 MIR. So 220 after MIR.

Edit: Quick glance at reviews says it's not an over-clocker. Probably not worth saving the extra money unless you really wanna save that little extra.

Eh, they're probably BS'ing. All of the Fermi cards overclock great. Yes, some better than others, but out of 12 GTX 570's I've tested (and the 560 Ti 448 is almost exactly the same card), every single 570 did at least a 130-140 Mhz core OC, with a good 100 mhz OC on the RAM at the minimum.

Two things:

Cool.

Might we be seeing more synchronous and toggle NAND drives go for less then?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Intel i7 2600K
ASUS P8Z68 PRO/GEN3
Corsair Vengeance 1600 (16GB)
Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB
Samsung Blu-Ray Combo Internal 12XReadable and DVD-Writable Drive with Lightscribe
Corsair AX850
Corsair 400R
CoolerMaster 212+ EVO
Xonar DG

I'm going to shop around for a HDD this weekend.

Didn't wait, got a 3TB Samsung Barracuda HDD and 120GB Intel SSD today from Best Buy. My case and mobo came today.

rexor0717

Hey, does anyone know of any good 15" gaming laptops? My friend is interested, but I haven't been in the computer market for a while, so I'm not sure whats good anymore. The price isn't very important right now.

border

What's a good way to get a nice deal on a monitor?

I would like something 23-24", 2-5ms response time, decent brand name.

razterik

Your Current Specs: Old, really old.
Budget: Around $900. Flexible.
Main Use: Gaming - 4, Emulation (PS2/Wii) - 4, General usage -5.
Monitor Resolution: 1600x900 over DVI, won't upgrade for probably another year or more.
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Witcher 1/2, anything Bioware or Valve, emulate PS2/Wii games with frills.
Are reusing any parts?: Just an old sata II 1TB hard drive for media storage.
When will you build?: Next two weeks or so.
Will you be overclocking?: Yes.

Case: Cooler Master RC-692-KKN2 $70
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K $225
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W $73, rebate to $48
CPU Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus $24
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 $180
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blu 8 GB 1600mHz CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B $50
GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6850 $135, rebate to $120
Disc drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST $23
Boot/main drive: Crucial 128 GB m4 $170

I really want to source everything from Amazon for a variety of reasons, so please keep that in mind for recommendations.
I might be overspending on the motherboard, but I would like a quality part with enough options that it will last for a few years.
Is there anything wrong with setting the Hyper 212+ to vent out the top of the system? Planning to have two fans up there. Will the RAM and it's heatsinks cause problems that way? Should I look for some low profile RAM?
Would it be worth it to bump up to a HD 6870, even at 1600x900? Price is about $30 more.
Going to add another hard drive or two when prices recover, so I went with the SSD since I was paying the same amount anyway just for an eventual boot drive. $75+ for a 160GB seems like a raw deal.

ParityBit

Hi all,

I have a silly general question. At some point in the next few months I will be upgrading my machine. It's been quite a few years; I was getting my masters degree and playing mainly on my consoles. I was thinking of making my new machine able to hook to both my monitors and my TV so I can relax on the couch when playing games and such.

How do people handle the whole keyboard/mouse situation when gaming though your PC on a TV? Bluetooth/wireless? Long ass wires? Is it better to double up cards in SLI/etc?

Is it even feesable and enjoyable?

I just ask to get my brain rolling as to how I want to handle this down the road. I hope to have a new rig in place for D3/GW2 and whatever else I choose to play outside of my consoles.

Thanks!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Your Current Specs: Old, really old.
Budget: Around $900. Flexible.
Main Use: Gaming - 4, Emulation (PS2/Wii) - 4, General usage -5.
Monitor Resolution: 1600x900 over DVI, won't upgrade for probably another year or more.
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Witcher 1/2, anything Bioware or Valve, emulate PS2/Wii games with frills.
Are reusing any parts?: Just an old sata II 1TB hard drive for media storage.
When will you build?: Next two weeks or so.
Will you be overclocking?: Yes.

Case: Cooler Master RC-692-KKN2 $70
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K $225
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W $73, rebate to $48
CPU Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus $24
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 $180
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blu 8 GB 1600mHz CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B $50
GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6850 $135, rebate to $120
Disc drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST $23
Boot/main drive: Crucial 128 GB m4 $170

I really want to source everything from Amazon for a variety of reasons, so please keep that in mind for recommendations.
I might be overspending on the motherboard, but I would like a quality part with enough options that it will last for a few years.
Is there anything wrong with setting the Hyper 212+ to vent out the top of the system? Planning to have two fans up there. Will the RAM and it's heatsinks cause problems that way? Should I look for some low profile RAM?
Would it be worth it to bump up to a HD 6870, even at 1600x900? Price is about $30 more.
Going to add another hard drive or two when prices recover, so I went with the SSD since I was paying the same amount anyway just for an eventual boot drive. $75+ for a 160GB seems like a raw deal.
I think an upgrade to a 6870 would be worth it if you can fit that extra $30 in there.

In most cases, you'll have slightly better temps with exhaust going out the back, but really it just depends on how your airflow is. Shouldn't make a big difference.

Heatsinks on RAM are usually pointless. If anything you're better off without them, or with the smallest ones possible that way you won't have any clearance issues with coolers or something down the road.

Hi all,

I have a silly general question. At some point in the next few months I will be upgrading my machine. It's been quite a few years; I was getting my masters degree and playing mainly on my consoles. I was thinking of making my new machine able to hook to both my monitors and my TV so I can relax on the couch when playing games and such.

How do people handle the whole keyboard/mouse situation when gaming though your PC on a TV? Bluetooth/wireless? Long ass wires? Is it better to double up cards in SLI/etc?

Is it even feesable and enjoyable?

I just ask to get my brain rolling as to how I want to handle this down the road. I hope to have a new rig in place for D3/GW2 and whatever else I choose to play outside of my consoles.

Thanks!

As crazy as it might sound, controllers are usually recommended when you play games on the TV. Unless you're playing shooters, RTS, or other genres where the mouse really makes a difference, just use a 360 controller.

When you do want to use a mouse+keyboard, wireless is the way to go. They make trays and stuff for that to make it a little more comfortable to use, but I don't know anything about those.

And a single card is always better than SLI/CF, given the option. Don't bother with it on a couple midrange cards, just get one high end card. More consistent performance and no worries about compatibility, microstutter, etc.

What's a good way to get a nice deal on a monitor?

I would like something 23-24", 2-5ms response time, decent brand name.

Asus seems to be pretty highly recommended around here. I have this one and it's been pretty nice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236079

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom