• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFlow

Banned
Is there much difference between a I3-2100 and a 2120 other then 300 mhz and will that matter much. Also can I use a 500 watt psu with a 6870?

clav

Is there much difference between a I3-2100 and a 2120 other then 300 mhz and will that matter much. Also can I use a 500 watt psu with a 6870?

There used to be a substantial price difference between the two ($30). If you want to spend the little extra ($8 according to Amazon), it'll help a bit.

Which PSU are you talking about? I know the requirements for HD 6870 say a 500 watt, but what is most important is the amps it delivers on the 12V rail(s). 28 Amps for the HD6870 split between two power connectors.

DarkFlow

Banned
There used to be a substantial price difference between the two ($30). If you want to spend the little extra ($8 according to Amazon), it'll help a bit.

Which PSU are you talking about? I know the requirements for HD 6870 say a 500 watt, but what is most important is the amps it delivers on the 12V rail(s). 28 Amps for the HD6870 split between two power connectors.

Okay thanks, might as well get the 2120, it's not much more.

As for the PSU it's this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G0WPLK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

clav

http://amzn.com/w/S1NRIN2MWDYC

I think It's a pretty good build. Monitor kinda sucks, but it will do for now. I'm pushing what I want to spend with this, the HDD is what is killing me. I'll have to upgrade when they come down in price.

Yeah it's decent for $700 considering you're factoring a monitor and keyboard+mouse.

You probably can consider the Cooler Master HAF 912 if you're already going to pay that much for a case. Might as well get a decent one.

Not sure about the hard drive as I have yet to purchase a hard drive since the floods. Anyone here want to say something about upgrading to a Samsung or know about the quality of hard drives produced these days from Seagate and Western Digital recently?

DarkFlow

Banned
Yeah it's decent for $700 considering you're factoring a monitor and keyboard+mouse.

You probably can consider the Cooler Master HAF 912 if you're already going to pay that much for a case. Might as well get a decent one.

Thanks, Looked at it and added. The extra space for the GPU is most likely needed since the 6870 is huge. $735.16 for this gaming rig is pretty good. Should last me awhile, I plan on dropping a i5 at a later point.

clav

Thanks, Looked at it and added. The extra space for the GPU is most likely needed since the 6870 is huge. $735.16 for this gaming rig is pretty good. Should last me awhile, I plan on dropping a i5 at a later point.

The thing about the i5s and upgrade routes. So far, the only chipset motherboard that has been confirmed to have Ivy Bridge support is Z68 (unless someone can correct me here). edit: p67 boards have it.

The i5 2500 comes in two variants: K and non-K. Basically the K version indicates the multiplier is unlocked; thus people can overclock K chips. Stable overclocking is only available on the P67 and Z68 motherboards. If you do want to consider this route, be advised that you will have to pay more.

You can put an i5-2500 (non-K) version on a H61 motherboard although some people here may think that would be a waste since a K version is only $20 more.

What is your budget in this build? I'm going to guess you're hoping that when ivy bridge is out, there will be some clearance on the i5 sandy bridge chips, and for the price you pay, you don't care if you can overclock them.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The thing about the i5s and upgrade routes. So far, the only chipset motherboard that has been confirmed to have Ivy Bridge support is Z68 (unless someone can correct me here).
Unless things have changed all 1155 boards should support Ivy with a BIOS update.

DarkFlow

Banned
The thing about the i5s and upgrade routes. So far, the only chipset motherboard that has been confirmed to have Ivy Bridge support is Z68 (unless someone can correct me here).

The i5 2500 comes in two variants: K and non-K. Basically the K version indicates the multiplier is unlocked; thus people can overclock K chips. Stable overclocking is only available on the P67 and Z68 motherboards. If you do want to consider this route, be advised that you will have to pay more.

You can put an i5-2500 (non-K) version on a H61 motherboard although some people here may think that would be a waste since a K version is only $20 more.

What is your budget in this build?

lol I'm already over it by about 70 bucks. I wanted to stay around 650 with a monitor, but I had to really cheap out on parts to get there and did not seem worth it. It's be awhile before I upgrade anyway more likely. I'll most likely just wait for Haswell and that needs a new MoBo anyway.

clav

Unless things have changed all 1155 boards should support Ivy with a BIOS update.

Technically yes, but I've only heard of a confirmation that Z68 chipsets are guaranteed.

I guess there will be major bickering if the other 1155 boards don't get updates.

edit: P67 boards have it.

My motherboard is the Asus P8P67 Pro and on October 6, 2011 there was a firmware update with the description of "1. Enable support for Next Gen 22nm Processor." I think it is safe to assume this is referring to Ivy Bridge.

clav

My motherboard is the Asus P8P67 Pro and on October 6, 2011 there was a firmware update with the description of "1. Enable support for Next Gen 22nm Processor." I think it is safe to assume this is referring to Ivy Bridge.

Ah, so it's confirmed for the P67 boards then.

Looking at the H61 updates and all of them are titled "Support New CPUs." Were there any new Intel CPUs released back in September 2011?

I can't imagine D3 making use of more than 2 cores tbh, and a 3Ghz i3 should net you a good 60FPS on high. Ultra is just there to waste frames like SC II where it looks the same and halves your framerate.

Oh thanks for clearing that up. Thanks for putting together these helpful charts btw. It makes things so much easier for a guy like me who's never done this before. As far as buying parts go, I have the list you made for the Standard build, is it now just a matter of waiting for some of these prices to drop and putting it all together piecemeal? Or would you guys recommend maybe waiting until I get closer to the release date? Again, I'm not in any rush to get this thing built and ready to go, I'm just really not familiar with computer hardware and how frequently they become replaced/get cheaper.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Oh thanks for clearing that up. Thanks for putting together these helpful charts btw. It makes things so much easier for a guy like me who's never done this before. As far as buying parts go, I have the list you made for the Standard build, is it now just a matter of waiting for some of these prices to drop and putting it all together piecemeal? Or would you guys recommend maybe waiting until I get closer to the release date? Again, I'm not in any rush to get this thing built and ready to go, I'm just really not familiar with computer hardware and how frequently they become replaced/get cheaper.
Waiting is usually always better unless you find good deals on a PSU/case/memory etc.
It's waiting for new CPUs and GPUs mainly as those make the most jumps.

If you are talking about D3 that is launching in Q2 so it's possible there could be new mid range cards out.

So just look for deals on 1.5V DDR3, a good PSU, and a nice case you like.

Troll

Banned
Hey guys need some help.

I have 1500 as a budget for a new Gaming Tower, anyone want to help by throwing something together? I can put it together myself if needed.

1-D_FTW

Last one was a i5 and a i3 in Feb of 11.

But they weren't "next-gen" 22nm.

Amazon had a good deal on an MSI board yesterday (originally 169.99, 79.99 after MIR), but I was afraid for this very reason. I don't want to buy a board that needs to be flashed with an old CPU before the bios will recognize Ivy Bridge. Hopefully more start shipping like that.

I can't imagine D3 making use of more than 2 cores tbh, and a 3Ghz i3 should net you a good 60FPS on high. Ultra is just there to waste frames like SC II where it looks the same and halves your framerate.

Oh, snap. I never new Ultra was worthless. Or that high gave you twice the framerate. I pretty much quit playing during a section that made my Q9400 @3.4 shit the bed.

Deadly

I'm getting constant artifacts and crashing recently. Display driver crashes and restarts and just plain freezing. It usually occurs when I start a game up but it also occurs even when I'm just surfing the web or right when I bootup the computer (after Windows loads). Video card definitely borked? I checked temperatures and highest it's gone is ~65C.

DarkFlow

Banned
I'm getting constant artifacts and crashing recently. Display driver crashes and restarts and just plain freezing. It usually occurs when I start a game up but it also occurs even when I'm just surfing the web or right when I bootup the computer (after Windows loads). Video card definitely borked? I checked temperatures and highest it's gone is ~65C.
Have you tried wiping out all the drivers and reinstalling them? Might even be windows, because well It's windows and it likes to freak out randomly.

Deadly

Have you tried wiping out all the drivers and reinstalling them? Might even be windows, because well It's windows and it likes to freak out randomly.
Just tried that nope. Guess I'll be RMA'ing again.... Seems to be a recurring problem with this card according to google (GTX 260 core 216 superclocked)

EDIT: Hm so the first time I uninstalled the driver, reboot, it automatically installed something asks for reboot but I installed an old driver first then rebooted. Back to usual frequent artifacts. I just tried uninstall-> reboot->auto install from windows->reboot but now the artifacts and crashing are continuous and right when I reach desktop...

Smokey

Cool, are there any refreshes that are coming out or is it safe to buy?

ivy bridge cpu is coming in a few months, but that won't be a major upgrade from the current sandy bridge cpu's...just a smaller die. nvidia is expected to show something from their next-gen GPUs in the next month or so...AMD's are already out.

pretty safe time to buy unless you're interested in the newer nvidia cards.

Isaccard

ivy bridge cpu is coming in a few months, but that won't be a major upgrade from the current sandy bridge cpu's...just a smaller die. nvidia is expected to show something from their next-gen GPUs in the next month or so...AMD's are already out.

pretty safe time to buy unless you're interested in the newer nvidia cards.

I wish they'd hurry and drop them already, in hopes the current cards availible will dip in price a bit.

mkenyon

Banned
I have it on good authority that AMD is going to be doing two things when the next nvidia cards hit. #1, release high OC/binned models that will see huge stock performance increases. #2, aggressively cut prices to maintain their price:performance argument.

Is the price of the Samsung F3 listed in the OP before the 100% hike? I don't see these listed for near 60 bucks anywhere.
Yeah, that is the price I paid Spring 2011. When my drive died in January 2012 I went to replace it only to be shocked that they are now being sold for $150. I said "screw it" and spent a little bit more and got an SSD. If I am going to pay that much for a new drive then I want something impressive to show for it.

Yeah, that is the price I paid Spring 2011. When my drive died in January 2012 I went to replace it only to be shocked that they are now being sold for $150. I said "screw it" and spent a little bit more and got an SSD. If I am going to pay that much for a new drive then I want something impressive to show for it.

Yeah I hear you. My main music production HD went down last night. Fortunately I was able to back it up. Def not paying those inflated prices, I'll go SSD first.

Also I'm thinking that chart is a bit outdated with prices. Looking around, I haven't seen a GTX 550 ti for 110 at all. Most in fact aren't close to 110 including a rebate. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places?

LordCanti

Anyone happen to know of a good guide on getting 3D games/movies up and running on a 3D TV (a Panny plasma specifically)? I know I'll need custom drivers for my GTX 580 (since it's not a 120hz monitor) and some software/drivers from Nvidia for movies, but I'm not sure what I need exactly.

scogoth

I have it on good authority that AMD is going to be doing two things when the next nvidia cards hit. #1, release high OC/binned models that will see huge stock performance increases. #2, aggressively cut prices to maintain their price:performance argument.

I read this as the GTX680 is going to kick the 7970s ass performance wise.

Anyone happen to know of a good guide on getting 3D games/movies up and running on a 3D TV (a Panny plasma specifically)? I know I'll need custom drivers for my GTX 580 (since it's not a 120hz monitor) and some software/drivers from Nvidia for movies, but I'm not sure exactly what I need.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-overview.html

Check that out to get 3d vision up and running on TVs. And I would use the latest 295 drivers. You need to buy it but you don't need any 3d party drivers for Nvidia setups

theRizzle

Amazing how neither of these things is "Improve their drivers".

mkenyon

Banned
Amazing how neither of these things is "Improve their drivers".
Get your FUD out of here. Drivers are equal between the two, AMD is just slow on crossfire profiles. But, you can create custom ones now anyway.
Maybe. What I heard (from Sapphire rep) is that AMD specifically held back the stock clocks on the inital release to set a lower bar for Nvidia with plans to have drastically increased stock clocks later on while dropping prices.

So, yes. Gonna get stomped by 680.

1-D_FTW

Anyone happen to know of a good guide on getting 3D games/movies up and running on a 3D TV (a Panny plasma specifically)? I know I'll need custom drivers for my GTX 580 (since it's not a 120hz monitor) and some software/drivers from Nvidia for movies, but I'm not sure what I need exactly.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-overview.html

Check that out to get 3d vision up and running on TVs. And I would use the latest 295 drivers. You need to buy it but you don't need any 3d party drivers for Nvidia setups

I was under the impression that I'd need custom (non Nvidia) drivers to get 3D games running, since the TV can't accept 120hz. Is that not the case?

I'm in the deep end, trying to figure out frame packing, side-by-side 3D, etc :p I'm not sure if I need IZ3D or Tru3D or what.

No. Unless there's a snafu with setup, it's an absolute breeze getting 3D Play working via HDMI.

As stated, you have to buy the 3D Play software for 40 dollars though (can download a 14 day free trial first).

clav

I calculated that I need at least to have 180GB to go to a SSD.

Too bad prices are still in that premium range, and I don't like dual hard drive setups.

LordCanti

No. Unless there's a snafu with setup, it's an absolute breeze getting 3D Play working via HDMI.

As stated, you have to buy the 3D Play software for 40 dollars though (can download a 14 day free trial first).

Thanks, that is a lot easier than I figured it would be. What are the custom drivers for? Games that don't work with Nvidia 3D play?

1-D_FTW

Thanks, that is a lot easier than I figured it would be. What are the custom drivers for? Games that don't work with Nvidia 3D play?

Honestly, I have no idea. Maybe they're cracks that allow 3D Play to work without paying?

If a game doesn't work with 3D Play, in all likely-hood it's not working with anything.*

*OpenGL games not included. All the modern 3D software is DX only. So games like Doom 3 or Amnesia are a no go with any setup.

3D Play/Vision has fantastic support (even in a lot of games that aren't rated.) A game like Sonic and Sega Racing looks fantastic with no modifications, yet doesn't even have ratings/tweaks. It really is a one stop solution and requires nothing other than the 3D Play software.

gokieks

So what's the best nVidia driver version to use with a 560Ti 448? Got my card in today, and installed the latest beta drivers (295.51), but it seems to screw up the aspect ratio in SWTOR. In the interest of not downloading and then installing/trying/uninstalling every version, anyone have any experience with what's supposed to a "proper" working one?

LordCanti

Honestly, I have no idea. Maybe they're cracks that allow 3D Play to work without paying?

If a game doesn't work with 3D Play, in all likely-hood it's not working with anything.*

*OpenGL games not included. All the modern 3D software is DX only. So games like Doom 3 or Amnesia are a no go with any setup.

3D Play/Vision has fantastic support (even in a lot of games that aren't rated.) A game like Sonic and Sega Racing looks fantastic with no modifications, yet doesn't even have ratings/tweaks. It really is a one stop solution and requires nothing other than the 3D Play software.

Great. I'm always up for an easy solution over a difficult one. Sure enough, it lists Panasonic Plasma support right on the page as well.

Now I just need to find no-HUD mods for every game I own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom