• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

The rumored 680 that's supposedly had leaked slides, why is it only 2 GB? Don't you need more than that for higher resolutions, 3D, and mutli-monitor setups?

Hawk269

With the rumors of the specs of the 680...can one or two of these in SLI finally play Witcher 2 at 1080p in Ubersampling mode at a rock solid 60fps?

My I72600k OC to 4.6, 8gigs of Ram and 2x580 Classifieds 3gb GPU's can only get around 35fps on average with some dips to 25fps and highs in the 40's.

I dont think I can contain myself from buying them other than eVGA possibly working on custom versions of the GPU's since they tend to do that and I only buy eVGA because of the service level.

The rumored 680 that's supposedly had leaked slides, why is it only 2 GB? Don't you need more than that for higher resolutions, 3D, and mutli-monitor setups?

Because it's actually a mid-range part, but Nvidia is a bunch of tards who couldn't get the high-end part out on time so they just rebranded the mid-range as the new 680. There should be custom 4 GB versions out so don't worry.

Looking for a second monitor. I have a DellST2210 refurb that I got 2 years ago. It's a great monitor at 21.5 inches. Looking for one the same size. Any suggestions? I might get another refurb model as the one I have but I figured I'd see if there were better options.. Look around 110-120 for the refurbed dell.

squicken

Because it's actually a mid-range part, but Nvidia is a bunch of tards who couldn't get the high-end part out on time so they just rebranded the mid-range as the new 680. There should be custom 4 GB versions out so don't worry.

Well those benchmarks seems to show it beating the 7970, which is hardly mid-range. Nice job by Nvidia if true, and if it releases sometime soon

mkenyon

Banned
New ones, no guarantee that the "PCIe 3.0" on current mobos will work at PCIe 3.0 speeds. Better to wait and get USB3 from the PCH and PCIe 3.0
PCI-E 3.0 is bandwidth, not speed. We're still not even close to using half of PCI-E 2.0 on even super high end cards. The only slight maybe possible benefit of PCI-E 3.0 right now is if you had a motherboard that could only run x8/x8, and wanted to SLI 590s or some insanity like that. Even then, I don't know if it would make a difference.

scogoth

PCI-E 3.0 is bandwidth, not speed. We're still not even close to using half of PCI-E 2.0 on even super high end cards. The only slight maybe possible benefit of PCI-E 3.0 right now is if you had a motherboard that could only run x8/x8, and wanted to SLI 590s or some insanity like that. Even then, I don't know if it would make a difference.

If you have to wait for IB then why not wait for series 7, theres no downside.

And yeah i'll be the 8x/8x GK110s person

1-D_FTW

Well those benchmarks seems to show it beating the 7970, which is hardly mid-range. Nice job by Nvidia if true, and if it releases sometime soon

That was the real issue. AMD released such an underwhelming product for 550, that Nvidia was able to just rebrand their mid-range and call it a day. Much more profitable this way.

squicken

That was the real issue. AMD released such an underwhelming product for 550, that Nvidia was able to just rebrand their mid-range and call it a day. Much more profitable this way.

It's such a crooked deal. My GTX 570 and 2500k held price for 8 months. In that same timeframe Samsung released 82 phones and tablets

I've currently got a 7970, and am not really a fan of AMD's software/consumer support. There are all sorts of resources for optimizing games on Geforce cards, but seems to be very little when it comes to AMD. I'll probably switch out as the 600 series rolls out

Lingitiz

Any help with a new build? I have everything hooked up inside and when I switched the PSU on the CPU fan started for a bit and then stopped. Now when I try to power it on nothing happens. I think my PSU might be DOA but I have no way to tell for sure.

squicken

Any help with a new build? I have everything hooked up inside and when I switched the PSU on the CPU fan started for a bit and then stopped. Now when I try to power it on nothing happens. I think my PSU might be DOA but I have no way to tell for sure.

Does your motherboard have any LEDs? Those should be lit even if it's not turned on.

Lingitiz

Does your motherboard have any LEDs? Those should be lit even if it's not turned on.

No there's no LEDs on the motherboard sadly. I did do the paper clip test with my PSU and had no luck. Guess I'll just get another. I had double checked everything and even breadboarded it with no results. Definitely has to be the PSU. It would start about 5 times for a few seconds and die out quickly. Now it doesn't work at all.

twdnewh_k

Been wanting a gpu upgrade for sometime. Waited for the gtx 680, and now some ppl are saying this is not the flagship card.

I know there will be a dual gpu card - 690. But i prefer a single gpu card, is there something else in the pipeline, like a 685 or something ?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Been wanting a gpu upgrade for sometime. Waited for the gtx 680, and now some ppl are saying this is not the flagship card.

I know there will be a dual gpu card - 690. But i prefer a single gpu card, is there something else in the pipeline, like a 685 or something ?
GK110 will come down the line later.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thanks. Is that going to be a new line 7xx or an existing card higher than 680?
TMK GK110 was planned to be the GTX680, but due to issues GK104 was revamped into the GTX680. Originally it was targeted to be the 660/670.
I think GK110 should be revamped into 680Ti/685

Ledsen

I wouldn't expect much. If you're not willing to wait out the pricing shenegians, I suspect you might be better off just cruising slickdeals for an older card.

The card originally designed for 299.99 is now releasing at 549.99. And if they're going off AMD's que, it's likely the 149.99 card will be priced at 249.99 and the 199.99 card will be dropping at 299.99.

So figure on rock bottom of 249.99 for their lowest entry.

This is all my fact-less speculation, but it's still a rather good bet.

Really? Do you have any links with more details? What are they doing :(

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Really? Do you have any links with more details? What are they doing :(
GK104 was meant for midrange hence 660Ti/670 rumors. GK110 was the high end part. Raninto issues.
GK104 has(or was scaled to) 7970 performance and thus carries 7970 pricetag.

squicken

GK104 was meant for midrange hence 660Ti/670 rumors. GK110 was the high end part. Raninto issues.
GK104 has(or was scaled to) 7970 performance and thus carries 7970 pricetag.

This is going to be interesting. The 7970 OCs very well, while the internet seems to think Nvidia had to push the 680 to get it just pass/equal to the 7970. It would be kind of funny if it ended up something like stock 7970>stock 680>OC 680>OC 7970.

There'd be no right answer and both companies could maintain pricing on their high end cards for 6 more months

1-D_FTW

This is going to be interesting. The 7970 OCs very well, while the internet seems to think Nvidia had to push the 680 to get it just pass/equal to the 7970. It would be kind of funny if it ended up something like stock 7970>stock 680>OC 680>OC 7970.

There'd be no right answer and both companies could maintain pricing on their high end cards for 6 more months

We'll see about that. Talking from my butthole, I would think that if they were really straining the 680 to get those benchmarks, it wouldn't have a lower power draw than the 7970. When you start pushing something hard, that's when wattage starts jumping in ways that don't match the performance.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
I'm looking at building a new gaming rig and I'm so confused with all the shit. I was into pc hardware around 10 years ago (love live the radeon 9700pro) and everything is so different! There's like 50 versions of one cpu with different types of razzle dazzle plus like 900 types of god damn ram. Budget is about 1500cdn (no monitor or case but power supply will be needed). What's with all the stupid names they give processors and stuff? Any pc gamers have any tips? I'm not looking for a super high end machine, just something that will last for a few good years.

ccbfan

Can the standard build play diablo 3 decently?

Or is it better the go with the enchanced.

How much longer would the enhanced build last over the standard?

I live near a Micro Center so both the i5 2500K and the I3 2100 is on sale with the purchase of a MOBO.

Ram I definitely plan to get 8 gig.

Whats the least powerful graphics card I will need to play Diablo 3 decently.

Whats the least powerful graphics card I will need to emulate PS2 emulator decently.

How many Watt Power Supply do I need.

mug

Can the standard build play diablo 3 decently?

Or is it better the go with the enchanced.

How much longer would the enhanced build last over the standard?

I live near a Micro Center so both the i5 2500K and the I3 2100 is on sale with the purchase of a MOBO.

Ram I definitely plan to get 8 gig.

Whats the least powerful graphics card I will need to play Diablo 3 decently.

Whats the least powerful graphics card I will need to emulate PS2 emulator decently.

How many Watt Power Supply do I need.
Define your idea of "decently".

1-D_FTW

I'm looking at building a new gaming rig and I'm so confused with all the shit. I was into pc hardware around 10 years ago (love live the radeon 9700pro) and everything is so different! There's like 50 versions of one cpu with different types of razzle dazzle plus like 900 types of god damn ram. Budget is about 1500cdn (no monitor or case but power supply will be needed). What's with all the stupid names they give processors and stuff? Any pc gamers have any tips? I'm not looking for a super high end machine, just something that will last for a few good years.

You really should read the OP and then come back with any specific questions you have.

I wish I could say this all day every day but: read the motherfuckin OP

lethial

Reeeeeeee
It's cool. Read that shit and formulate a new set of questions that you need clarified. It's so much easier to help someone once they have a better idea of SOME direction they're going in.

Word. Went through the middle column as that's around my budget. Is a SSD and after market heatsink necessary? I don't plan on overclocking nor do I usually have 50 games installed to play. I currently have a 250gb sata drive that's still running real well.

EDIT: Generally play FPS and WRPGs (If that makes a difference) although with a new PC I might try new things.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I guess as long as the graphics look PS3/360 quality I'll be fine.
Standard build will demolish any Valve or Blizzard title. Highly recommend you get a 460 or 6870.
So guys, I think what I need to find is a wireless adapter that fits into a PCIe slot. Those are universal right?
PCIe is PCIe. 1,2,3.0 doesn't matter.

Just make sure you get one that is not low profile if you have a desktop. Normally they come with low profile adapters so its a non issue.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
If nothing else, the after market heatsink will help with noise reduction as well.

Noise never really bothered me. Been so used to it from having a pc for almost 30 years. Do people still put lights and shit in their pcs? I remember doing that with a sweet case that had a plexiglass window. Man I was l33t.

Lingitiz

Got my build working, looks like the PSU was DOA so I replace it. Any idea why my rear case fan isn't working? My mobo doesn't have a 3 pin connector only a 4 pin, I connected it anyways but its not working. I tried plugging it into the PSU directly but that didn't work either. I guessing its DOA.

This isn't exactly revelant to the topic but I would just to point out that I recently completed Mafia II. I must say, it is easily one of the best looking and well optimized games I've played on PC.

Word. Went through the middle column as that's around my budget. Is a SSD and after market heatsink necessary? I don't plan on overclocking nor do I usually have 50 games installed to play. I currently have a 250gb sata drive that's still running real well.

EDIT: Generally play FPS and WRPGs (If that makes a difference) although with a new PC I might try new things.

Honestly dude, if you go with a 2500k you can OC to around 4.2-4.3 Ghz on the stock heatsink with no major issues.

SSD is AWESOME if you want the smoothest, fastest computing experience possible. It makes a huge difference in system responsiveness and load times. If you got the cash to spare, buying one is worth it.

mkenyon

Banned
Noise never really bothered me. Been so used to it from having a pc for almost 30 years. Do people still put lights and shit in their pcs? I remember doing that with a sweet case that had a plexiglass window. Man I was l33t.
The push in modding these days is much more towards clean aesthetics and either monochrome or high contrast.

http://www.murderbox.com/MKIIP2/gallery/

That pretty much sums up current mod "fashion".
Honestly dude, if you go with a 2500k you can OC to around 4.2-4.3 Ghz on the stock heatsink with no major issues.

SSD is AWESOME if you want the smoothest, fastest computing experience possible. It makes a huge difference in system responsiveness and load times. If you got the cash to spare, buying one is worth it.
SSDs are a must now, even if you only get an 80GB one or whatever. Once you go SSD you don't go back.
I support both of these.

SSDs are a must now, even if you only get an 80GB one or whatever. Once you go SSD you don't go back.
my SSD (120gb) has absolutely spoiled me. i get so impatient with my work PC now.

my only regret is not having enough money to pay for another, larger, SSD.

My Unicomp Ultra Classic is growing on me. Despite my (quickly healing) tendinitis I'm finding myself looking for excuses to type on it when I get home each day. The click click click is pretty satisfying, although when I type quickly (or as quickly as I currently can with 6 fingers) it's still unnervingly loud. Still, I'm liking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom