• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoku88

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of a 2560x1600 24" monitor? I'm kinda interested to see what it looks like, but I checked on newegg and amazon and they didn't seem to have any.

I'm somewhat bored of my current monitor >.>

Re SDDs: It's kind of hard for me to tell. My work computer has always used an SSD. My home computer, the Linux install has always used an SSD and teh Windows install has always used the HDD. The Linux install is really fast, but I can't compare it to Windows since Windows just feels slow in general :-/

I installed the 212 into my case and it was hell. Most confounding mounting solution I've ever seen and it was tough getting the fans on. It took as long as building the whole damn computer. On the bright side, it's a hell of a lot quieter and I'm satisfied with noise and temperature. I don't know if I like the look of it (I should cut the tags off). Whatever works. I'm exhausted now.

1-D_FTW

I installed the 212 into my case and it was hell. Most confounding mounting solution I've ever seen and it was tough getting the fans on. It took as long as building the whole damn computer. On the bright side, it's a hell of a lot quieter and I'm satisfied with noise and temperature. I don't know if I like the look of it (I should cut the tags off). Whatever works. I'm exhausted now.

Really. I thought it was the easiest mounting cooler ever. The last one I had felt like you needed to crack the motherboard to get the thing mounted. Being able to just screw things on is such a pleasant change.

Guys, my dads 7800gtx has gone tits up (was actually mine from years ago) and he needs a replacement. can't be too dear as he only uses it to play world of tanks and call of duty 2 (lol yes).

I have absolutely no idea about low end cards, other than that they're a disgusting trap usually to rip off unsuspecting buyers.

Guys, my dads 7800gtx has gone tits up (was actually mine from years ago) and he needs a replacement. can't be too dear as he only uses it to play world of tanks and call of duty 2 (lol yes).

I have absolutely no idea about low end cards, other than that they're a disgusting trap usually to rip off unsuspecting buyers.

This is about 2-2.5x faster than a 7800 GTX at the very least... $56 after rebate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121469

This is also around 2-3x faster than a 7800 GTX, and comes with a free Sonic game! $60 after rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125403

Mr Swine

Banned
Sorry if I'm posting it here, couldn't find the other thread :/ I've reformatted my PC yesterday and installed The Sims + all expansions packs and Battlefield 3. My HDD is 300GB (PC sees it as 297GB) and I with everything installed I have 226GB left. But when I choose all the folders on the disc it says it's only 60GB big leaving 10GB. So I really want to know where and what that 10GB is used for since I can't find it even with hidden folders on :/ Makes me really paranoid ><

mug

No clue

I have a 1600x900 Monitor so if I can play on that it would be great.

Should be able to get away with an i3 and 6770 or GTX 460 if you're trying to save some money. I'd still recommend i5 and 560 or 560ti to future proof. However Diablo 3 shouldn't be too strenuous for the basic gaming pc.

Sorry if I'm posting it here, couldn't find the other thread :/ I've reformatted my PC yesterday and installed The Sims + all expansions packs and Battlefield 3. My HDD is 300GB (PC sees it as 297GB) and I with everything installed I have 226GB left. But when I choose all the folders on the disc it says it's only 60GB big leaving 10GB. So I really want to know where and what that 10GB is used for since I can't find it even with hidden folders on :/ Makes me really paranoid ><

Hibernation file, page file, system restore? Disable those (except page file, change it to 1024 MB)...

Lanbeast

Hey guys,

I'm looking to do a build for my Aunt and Uncle. They're older and don't need anything powerful since they'll mainly just be using it for the web, storing photos, and writing up some documents. I thought I'd ask the experts if it would be better to just buy a pre-packaged one or go through with building it.

They're looking to spend 500-1000, but I'd like to keep it closer to $500 for them. They just need a large monitor (they're old).

The price started adding up when I added a monitor/win 7/etc, which led me here. Thanks!

kennah

Start with the monitor. That will set the budget for the pc. Get a good motherboard but a cheap cpu. (though not a celeron or something like that). The reason you don't want to skimp on the motherboard is that will help the computer be reliable and less likely to develop weird problems. If you can afford to get good RAM as well. They likely won't need a huge hard drive, so you could probably get a 32/64 gig SSD just to be ridiculous or whatever the cheapest hard drive you find is.

My grandmas computer is a similar situation. She has a 22" 4:3 lcd running at 640x480. Her tower is an under-clocked fanless AMD 2.1 GHz dual core with a good MATX MSI Motherboard, a 320gig laptop hard drive that is all in a tiny case mounted to her wall. I'm tempted to replace the laptop hard drive in it with a 32gig SSD if I can find one (she's only using 9gigs of the 320). But that's it. No optical drive, she doesn't need it. Only upgrade I've done in recent years is a webcam so we can Skype.

Pic is with her old monitor before I replaced it with the 4:3 one.
63838_10150269427085627_684950626_15045458_251637_n.jpg

Lanbeast

Start with the monitor. That will set the budget for the pc. Get a good motherboard but a cheap cpu. (though not a celeron or something like that). The reason you don't want to skimp on the motherboard is that will help the computer be reliable and less likely to develop weird problems. If you can afford to get good RAM as well. They likely won't need a huge hard drive, so you could probably get a 32/64 gig SSD just to be ridiculous or whatever the cheapest hard drive you find is.

My grandmas computer is a similar situation. She has a 22" 4:3 lcd running at 640x480. Her tower is an under-clocked fanless AMD 2.1 GHz dual core with a good MATX MSI Motherboard, a 320gig laptop hard drive that is all in a tiny case mounted to her wall. I'm tempted to replace the laptop hard drive in it with a 32gig SSD if I can find one (she's only using 9gigs of the 320). But that's it. No optical drive, she doesn't need it. Only upgrade I've done in recent years is a webcam so we can Skype.

Pic is with her old monitor before I replaced it with the 4:3 one.
63838_10150269427085627_684950626_15045458_251637_n.jpg

Thanks, that's a pretty slick setup. I'm finding more now that I got over a little bit of the "wanna build this for myself" desire and starting going for cheaper parts.

I just want to make sure it lasts them a good amount of years too because they probably won't want to buy another one since they're ~80 years old.

kennah

Like I said. Most of the computer can be pretty cheap, but don't go cheap cheap on the motherboard. It will definitely save you headaches.

^What games are you going to be playing and at what resolution?

For me the actual installation was easy but figuring out how it was supposed to go together took forever. The instructions are really unhelpful.

My last computer was an HP, while I never encountered any serious problems but anytime I'd look up something about it to check something normal out, all I came across were people complaining about how super cheap motherboards they use are. (Pegatron I think?)

Did you change what fan header on the mobo the cpu/case fan plug into? Or if you have a spare fan try connecting it to another one of the SYS_FAN connections on the motherboard and see if the warning goes away.

It's an IPIBL-LB (Benicia), apparently made by Asus. It only has two fan headers, but I haven't tried connecting a spare fan (which would be the old HP case fan). During all the restarting I did while updating Vista I didn't see the error message at all, and in the week since she says it's only come up twice. If it starts appearing again I'll try updating the BIOS and seeing if I can install the old fan in the new case.

clav

Recently had a problem with my setup that my monitor wouldn't be detected at POST.

Solved it with a new power supply.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Doubt this is the place to ask, but I need a new router. Mine is having problems with both wired and wireless connections. Regularly disconnecting, reset connection errors half the time when loading pages, and general slowness. Doesn't seem to be my connection to the ISP since my download speeds and ping are fine.

Shouldn't need to be anything fancy. Have ethernet running to most rooms and important connections (PCs, 360, etc) are wired. Wireless is just for a roaming laptop, a Wii, and phones.

Don't really know anything about networking so I don't know what I'm looking for exactly.

clav

Doubt this is the place to ask, but I need a new router. Mine is having problems with both wired and wireless connections. Regularly disconnecting, reset connection errors half the time when loading pages, and general slowness. Doesn't seem to be my connection to the ISP since my download speeds and ping are fine.

Shouldn't need to be anything fancy. Have ethernet running to most rooms and important connections (PCs, 360, etc) are wired. Wireless is just for a roaming laptop, a Wii, and phones.

Don't really know anything about networking so I don't know what I'm looking for exactly.

Do you have a budget?

If you're cheap, then get a refurbished Linksys E1000/E2000/E3000 and put DD-WRT (or preferably Tomato) on it.

Otherwise, you can look into the Netgear routers if you don't feel like messing around with anything.

The best spec router you can buy for the money would be the ASUS RT-N16 with custom firmware (32 MB ROM, 128 MB RAM), but it's only single band (2.4 GHz) although most devices only use that band. Custom firmware allows a range of add-ons that turn the device into a powerful mini server.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Not really, but cheap would be nice. I don't really need it to do anything special like function as a mini server or anything. Looking at the E1200 and E1500, or attempting to at least. Those will probably be fine for my needs.

Don't have any problem putting CFW on the router, I don't really know anything about it or what benefits it provides though. Networking is one area where I'm very tech-illiterate.

Edit: I'll probably get the refurb E1200 off Newegg, $26 with shipping. Unless there is some reason not to.

Kambing

Welp,

My gigabyte p67-ud4 motherboard entered the cold boot loop for the 100th time now, have tried everything and it seems to be stuck in that loop. Seriously i can't be fucking bothered to RMA this piece of shit again. Bought an asus z68 motherboard and will hopefully be able to bring back alive my computer.

My question is, should i reformat and or re-install windows on my main drive? I am very reluctant to do this as i believe i have some important files on there so wanted to know if i could just replace motherboard, boot like normal, and install new drivers? If it is recommended that i re-install the OS do i also have to format my secondary drive? Would really appreciate the suggestion and or answer >.<

This shit fucking sucks man. Really, i have made an oath to never buy a gigabyte product again lol. Hell, i would not accept a gigabyte board for free. Fuck their faulty ass product

EDIT: On the positive side, i do like me some new hardware =D. Got the Noctua NH-D14 heat sink in addition to the motherboard to replace the corsair H70.

1-D_FTW

Welp,

My gigabyte p67-ud4 motherboard entered the cold boot loop for the 100th time now, have tried everything and it seems to be stuck in that loop. Seriously i can't be fucking bothered to RMA this piece of shit again. Bought an asus z68 motherboard and will hopefully be able to bring back alive my computer.

My question is, should i reformat and or re-install windows on my main drive? I am very reluctant to do this as i believe i have some important files on there so wanted to know if i could just replace motherboard, boot like normal, and install new drivers? If it is recommended that i re-install the OS do i also have to format my secondary drive? Would really appreciate the suggestion and or answer >.<

This shit fucking sucks man. Really, i have made an oath to never buy a gigabyte product again lol. Hell, i would not accept a gigabyte board for free. Fuck their faulty ass product

EDIT: On the positive side, i do like me some new hardware =D. Got the Noctua NH-D14 heat sink in addition to the motherboard to replace the corsair H70.

I chased the boogie man for years thinking Valve games and my Comcast internet connection were a lousy combo. Turns out the one thing I never thought of was my crappy ass Gigabyte ethernet. When I got my new build done last month, I was shocked to see I got 0 choke/loss even with stock network settings. I'll sign up for the Gigabyte is a pile of flaming garbage who I'll never deal with again for a mobo. I'd used every ethernet driver and BIOS available. It was a hardware issue.

You don't have to reformat secondary drives/partitions. That's the whole benefit (and redundancy). They are a safe haven for data when you need to do reformats on your main drive.

I, and others, have done complete rebuilds and had Windows 7 boot and install the drivers. Nor sure it's stable (since I went and reformatted anyways), but if you're desperate enough, you can try it. It will boot.

RedSwirl

So now I know that what I need to find is a PCI wireless g adapter. I'm not sure if any of the ones on Amazon are reliable though since most of them have like three stars. Even the ones on Newegg have reports of unreliability. When I go to dell.com and type in my service tag, all the cards they suggest to me cost around $80. Does anyone here know of any specific models they found reliable?

Welp,

To add on to what 1-D_FTW already said, you don't have to do a fresh instal, but it's preferable, and secondary drives can be left alone. For the most part, you'd only need to be concerned if you have symbolic links, page files, and the like on non-primary drives.

You can run the same Win instal on a different motherboard, and be fine in many cases. You'd only need to re-authorize your OS at some point, and cleaning drivers would be a good idea. Ultimately, recovering from a basic image, or starting fresh is the best way to avoid possible conflicts, and narrow down potential issues.

Kambing

Thanks a lot fellas,

Will probably decide when the mobo actually gets here, if not i will spend too much time thinking about it lol. Sort of leaning towards doing a fresh install now. Kind of like a newly washed car

undecided

My SATA cables were apparently swapped at some point in the past.. My SSD was running on SATA2 instead of SATA3 at a loss of about 120MBps read when benchmarking.

Tip for new builds: Make sure you plug it into the right port.

NoRéN

Subscribed to this thread since I was hoping I could try and build myself a decent PC.

One question, and please be nice.

It's safe to assume that building my on PC will require that I also buy an OS(ex. Windows 7)?

NoRéN;36125369 said:
Subscribed to this thread since I was hoping I could try and build myself a decent PC.

One question, and please be nice.

It's safe to assume that building my on PC will require that I also buy an OS(ex. Windows 7)?
Yes. If it's Win7, pick up an OEM copy, as there's no need to buy the full software release.

NoRéN

·feist·;36125468 said:
Yes. If it's Win7, pick up an OEM copy, as there's no need to buy the full software release.

Thank you.

Seriously, I am very intimidated by this. But, I hope I can join the rank of you bad asses with personally built PCs.

Omiee

I have a question:

i have 2 Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM monitor's and i have them connected to one single ati card with dvi cables.

now when i got to ccc and try to change color settings and saturation etc, it works fine on my main monitor but on my second monitor when i turn it up it turns the screen green when i turn it down it turns the screen red.
so im not able to customize it at all. is there a reason for this? can i fix it?

Hawk269

NoRéN;36125620 said:
Thank you.

Seriously, I am very intimidated by this. But, I hope I can join the rank of you bad asses with personally built PCs.

Just ask alot of questions if you are not sure. I would also advise to searching youtube for a building my own pc video. That helped me alot to visually see it being done and how easy it actually is to build one.

My next thing is learning about "water cooling". Now that itimidates the shit out of me. My head is stuck in this mode of....WATER>>ELECTRICITY>>EXPENSIVE COMPUTER>>HELL NO!!!

Forbiden

GAF, Im looking into doing a new build in the future, would like some advice/input/suggestions regarding the components I have in mind for the new build. For the time being, I'm sticking to my GTX 570, but do want to eventually get a 680.

Currently I am looking at getting the following:

ASUS P8P67 Pro
Intel i5 2500k
Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Samsung 830 64GB SSD
Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD
WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
CoolerMaster 800w PSU
ASUS Bluray Drive

I have yet to make a decision regarding the case, but I'd like something that will last me several builds and has lots of space. Only case I've really looked into so far is the Cooler Master Cosmos II. Any input/suggestions are appreciated.

Shambles

Just ask alot of questions if you are not sure. I would also advise to searching youtube for a building my own pc video. That helped me alot to visually see it being done and how easy it actually is to build one.

My next thing is learning about "water cooling". Now that itimidates the shit out of me. My head is stuck in this mode of....WATER>>ELECTRICITY>>EXPENSIVE COMPUTER>>HELL NO!!!

Water cooling is something I'd like to try as well but it's just not worth the cost to me. The way I see it is that from what I've seen it's going to cost about $200 to get a decent water cooling system setup. That will give me a cooler, quieter system that overclocks a bit better but realistically I'm probably only going to see a 5% increase in performance if even that with many games. That means that I'm literally spending dozens of dollars for each fps gain in gaming. Whereas if I spend that $200 to change something I'd normally buy for a GPU at most something like a GTX 560, it now moves me into something like a 7950 where I'm literally doubling my performance for the same two hundred dollars.

For me to ever get into water cooling would require me to have enough dispensable income to be already building a machine with flagship parts such as a 2600K + 7970 so that even with an extra couple hundred bucks spent on hardware I wouldn't see much benefit from it. But even in that situation that means that I already have a great SSD with ample space, a great monitor, and a nice keyboard/mouse that feels good to me. Things like a case don't matter much to me since I'd rather have a machine in a decent case running cool and quiet than wasting money in order to throw a brand name on my case to make me feel cooler. Hopefully one day I'll come across someone selling their old used water cooling gear for cheap and I'll take the plunge. It definitely is a great and quiet way to cool a chip. :(

Bombadil

Banned
GAF, Im looking into doing a new build in the future, would like some advice/input/suggestions regarding the components I have in mind for the new build. For the time being, I'm sticking to my GTX 570, but do want to eventually get a 680.

ASUS P8P67 Pro
Intel i5 2500k
Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Samsung 830 64GB SSD
WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
CoolerMaster 800w PSU
ASUS Bluray Drive

I have yet to make a decision regarding the case, but I'd like something that will last me several builds and has lots of space. Only case I've really looked into so far is the Cooler Master Cosmos II. Any input/suggestions are appreciated.

I looked up the case you're considering and, wow, please don't spent 350 dollars on a case.

If you're looking for a case with lots of room, you can get this one for 159.99 from Newegg.

11-129-087-TS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129087

It does look a little too flashy with all those LEDs, but whatever. Just don't spend that much on a case.

My mistake was buying what appears to be an Antec Mini Tower for 60 bucks. It might be a mid-tower but according to a friend of mine it's a mini. And even with that mistake I managed to fit an EVGA GTX 570, an MSI MC2 Mobo, an i7-2600 with fan, a Cooler Master 1000Watt PSU, and I have 4 fans (1 140mm fan, and 3 120mm fans) and the PSU has it's own fan. So don't think that you need a really big case.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Water is less worth it than ever before imo.
Stuff runs way cooler and air coolers have gotten cheaper and better.

Unless you plan on running a high OC or doing suicide benching it's not for you.

Guys, I was wondering if someone could give me a quick pointer. Im sick to death of my current case whirring and making constant vibration noises all the time. When I go to scew up all the case screws they dont all quite match up so its obviously had a whack at some point so it appears that I should look for a new one (its pretty old anyway).

I want one with USBs in the front (I cant use usb 3 YET but obviously in future I will), quiet running with decent cooling is a priority and finally I want one which houses the PSU at the bottom of the case (which seems basically standard now).

I'm looking at the Bitfenix Shinobi and the NZXT Source 210 Elite. They seem pretty even with their pro's and con's so I would just like a bit of advice as to which to get? Price-wise they seem similar, the Shinobi has more USB's but the NZXT has more secure HD slots.. Any input would be hugely appreciated.

EDIT - It appears in other pics of the Shinobi I've just spotted it does indeed have the secure HD holding slots aswell...? Quite weird that some sites would show it without

I need some tech support/advice here. I picked up the MSI GTX 560ti 448 about a month ago, and it's been working like a champ-- until last night where I started seeing some artifacting in TF2.

Stuff like that starts popping up after about 15-20 minutes of play.

I checked temps all throughout a session and it seems to stay at a pretty consistent 50 degrees, with the highest being 55. I tried reseating the card to see if that would help, but nada. Oh, and everything's stock on the card, nothing's been tweaked.

So, what're my options here? Should I just RMA it or is there something else I could try?

1-D_FTW

Problem is it's not one of the usual stand-bys. Ebay has a ton of auctions that ended without a bid. And the few that did, were for new. This is where it pays to go with the popular stuff. Something like the vw246 has a well established after-market and gets a good return.

I guess you could catch a bidder who's looking for a duplicate for dual monitor. But I'd definitely set the price you wanted for it and wouldn't set a low opening auction price. No telling how much of a market is really out there. So I wouldn't want to rely on guys needing to bid the price up.

mhayze

I need some tech support/advice here. I picked up the MSI GTX 560ti 448 about a month ago, and it's been working like a champ-- until last night where I started seeing some artifacting in TF2.

Stuff like that starts popping up after about 15-20 minutes of play.

I checked temps all throughout a session and it seems to stay at a pretty consistent 50 degrees, with the highest being 55. I tried reseating the card to see if that would help, but nada. Oh, and everything's stock on the card, nothing's been tweaked.

So, what're my options here? Should I just RMA it or is there something else I could try?

First try backing off on the video ram speed. Play for a bit and see if that helps. If it did not, reset memory and back off on the GPU clocks. If no luck, then back off both. At least you will know what it is, and you can decide if it's worth the RMA (if you don't have another card to keep you going while it's being exchanged).

mhayze

ASUS P8P67 Pro
Intel i5 2500k
Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Samsung 830 64GB SSD
WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
CoolerMaster 800w PSU
ASUS Bluray Drive

If your budget will stretch to the Cosmos II, I'd recommend the Silverstone FT-02. It's a technological wonder with the 90 rotation, all the cables come out on top, but there's no clutter because of a handy top cover. Really nice design and build quality and looks are impeccable. Airflow / heat management is really excellent, build features are nice, very large quiet fans included and materials are great. I was really impressed with a PC built in this case at work, even compared with my Lian Li at home.

If you're a 'classy case' guy,
like me
you may also want to check out some of the Lian Li cases (I currently have a black Lian Li PC v1200 Plus II) as well as other Siverstone cases in the "TJ" (Temjin?) series.

Again, assuming you don't want that 'gamer look' plasticky / multi-colored / side window with neon look, at a lower budget level I would look at some of the BitFenix and Xigmatek cases - really well built at the price and you know the money went towards constructions and materials, not neon and Pontiac style plastic protrusions.

Quikies83

He guys, I'm needing a little advice on my HAF 912 cooling setup. The computer is going to be standing on the floor with both left and right sides pretty close to wall and desk - not a lot of air flow from the sides (maybe about an inch from the wall). I have the standard 120mm x 2 fans - 1 in front and 1 in back. I'm thinking I'll need to slap a 200mm fan on the top for exhaust but then I'd really only have one intake (at the front). Should I put another 120mm in the front or replace with 200mm? Anyone with a similar setup, please chime in.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
He guys, I'm needing a little advice on my HAF 912 cooling setup. The computer is going to be standing on the floor with both left and right sides pretty close to wall and desk - not a lot of air flow from the sides (maybe about an inch from the wall). I have the standard 120mm x 2 fans - 1 in front and 1 in back. I'm thinking I'll need to slap a 200mm fan on the top for exhaust but then I'd really only have one intake (at the front). Should I put another 120mm in the front or replace with 200mm? Anyone with a similar setup, please chime in.
You shouldn't need any intake from the sides.
Doesn't it have a top exhaust already?
I'd think stock fans should be fine.

sk3tch

ASUS P8P67 Pro
Intel i5 2500k
Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Samsung 830 64GB SSD
WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
CoolerMaster 800w PSU
ASUS Bluray Drive

For $185 shipped the NZXT Switch 810 looks great and has received fantastic reviews:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146089

Mine arrives tomorrow...I can let you know how it is.

11-146-089-TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom