• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to build my mom a decent PC (preferably small mediapc-esque tower) for around $300. Mainly used for watching videos and basic PC tasks like web browsing and such. Is this possible?

Do you have a copy of Windows, a monitor, a keyboard, and a mouse? If not, then those right there will run you about $160-180 of your build after shipping/taxes. If you don't have those things available, then as someone else said, a pre-built might be the way to go.

kharma45

7950? For $80 more and three games, I would go with that.

Still would be fine for most stuff, this is the SB i3 with a 7970

Battlefield3.png

DigiMish

I have an Alienware Aurora R3 that is a mix of fan/liquid cooling.

I've never dealt with liquid cooling before - can I just buy any liquid coolant brand to refill?

Huh, that's interesting. Thanks for the link!

Do we know how long the three free game deal is on for? I don't need a card immediately (I'm not building until January) but I'm interested in all the free games and if I can also get a good deal on a videocard I'll pick one up early.

Reference might be a bit too much for me though in terms of noise. But I also know my new PC will be louder than my current one regardless.

Not sure when the deal ends, my interpretation of the way it's been reported is almost as though it's possible that the bundle games might change in the future. It's also not a certainty that all places give the bundle card with the videocard I had to specifically request and confirm that the place I bought it for carried the game bundle and were putting the card in with the package (it comes as a key to redeem on an amd site).

jon_dojah

Banned
Can someone help me build a new gaming PC? My current rig is one I built back in 2003 I think. Its got a 9800GT in it and I haven't used it much for anything aside from web surfing. Been gaming on console since 2006.

I want to run Far Cry 3 on max settings with all the bells and whistles. I have 3 23" Asus monitors I would like to utilize as well as a 73" DLP 1080p 3DTV. I'm willing to go tri or even quad SLI if it comes to it. Any advice on a build would be great because at this point I'm pretty open to anything and I havent been in the PC scene for a long time.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Well, gave up on waiting for a better price on the 3570k or a 7950 for like $250..

So full specs:

CPU 3570k - $219 (amazon)
MOBO ASROCK Extreme3 Z77 - $99 (newegg)
RAM G.Skill 8gb 1600 - Free w/ mobo (newegg)
Cooler Hyper 212 Plus $21 ($10 rebate, so $11 when done) (newegg)
Case BitFenix Survivor $50 (ncix)
PSU Corsair CX500 500w $40 ($5 rebate, so $35) (ncix)
GPU SAPPHIRE 100352-2L Radeon HD 7950 3GB $299 ($20 rebate, so $279) (newegg)
Windows 8 OEM 64bit full install $70 (newegg)
Samsung DVD Burner $15 (newegg)
Seagate 1tb - $70 (newegg)

Total - $885.. $850 if I actually do the rebate crap.

Still need an SSD though...

Maybe a new monitor.

I picked up some Arctic MX2 thermal compound for free via rebate from Newegg recently. I'm going to use the stock Intel cooler for my i3-3220. Do you guys/gals think it is worthwhile to remove the pre-applied thermal paste from Intel and use this stuff instead, or am I wasting my time?

DTKT

What are the chances of current-gen CPU going up in prices with Intel implementing a BGA architecture for the next line of CPUs?

I wonder if I should just pull the trigger and replace my P55a-UD4P and my i5-750.

RedSwirl

*sigh* Storage space is really starting to kick my ass again. I really do think that if I do get a new system, an SSD by itself ain't gonna be enough. I need that extra terabyte.

My main problem now is that I have something like 50 or 60GB of music along with maybe 20GB of backed up iOS apps all still tied into my primary hard drive (an old 250GB [or something like that] HDD that thankfully hasn't failed once in five years). I'm afraid of hosting all this shit exclusively from an external HDD because I'm afraid of it failing. Then again, I already have a lot of other crap backed up exclusively on one external, but I spent a lot of time building and labeling my music library. My main HDD has around 20GB of space left.

Maybe in the future I'll nab an additional SSD or something. I dunno.

People, which is usually the least likely to fail: an internal HDD or an external one? With all that I'm hearing I'm kind of wondering how the hell I've never experienced an HDD failure before. My dad recently went through one, and the last time I bought an HDD was probably at least three years ago.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Everything has shipped including my SSD. I managed to get a Samsung 830 256GB. I paid around $200. Did I do alright?

I'm still trying to figure out which soundcard and speakers I'm going to get.

dekjo

Holy shit, Seasonic has some of the absolute worst customer service I have ever encountered.

Go to RMA my PSU, and the model (X-650) is not an option on their webform.

Call customer service, and their support line has had no answer for 3 days straight.

Sent multiple emails, and zero response.

Any advice?

Great. I bought that same PSU during Black Friday and just got it yesterday, but haven't hooked it up to anything yet. Hopefully mine won't be bad, but this isn't an encouraging story.

scogoth

What are the chances of current-gen CPU going up in prices with Intel implementing a BGA architecture for the next line of CPUs?

I wonder if I should just pull the trigger and replace my P55a-UD4P and my i5-750.

I would say none, Haswell is still LGA and its not for certain that broadwell is BGA. By that time ivy and sandy will be two generations behind. Also the x79 successor is supposedly still LGA on broadwell.

C'mon Royal Mail, you have one job to do today, and that is to deliver my shiny new i5 3570k and Gigabyte GTX 670. I'm sorry, but the Queen will have to wait an extra day for her Portable Arse Tickling Kit™.

JJBro One

I just finished updating to windows 8 pro 64 bit and now every time I open origin it stops working right away. I've uninstalled it, re downloaded it and installed it again and still the same thing. The details to the error gave me this.
Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Users\JJBro1\AppData\Local\Temp\WERCE80.tmp.appcompat.txt
C:\Users\JJBro1\AppData\Local\Temp\WERCF8B.tmp.mdmp

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=190175

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
Any solutions to this?

Grokbu

So it's about time for me to buy a new CPU+mobo sometime soon, yay!

I'm considering buying an ASRock Z77 EXTREME4 ATX with a 3570K and OC to about 4.4 - 4.5GHZ maybe. So I wonder if anyone has any tips of a cooling solution for the CPU, preferrably under $100?

I would like for it to be about as quiet (or even more quiet, if possible) as my AC Twin Turbo II on 7V if possible. My case is an Antec P180.

My current Phenom 9950 on stock cooling/stock clock can get a bit noisy with a high pitched sound under high load, and it can reach up to about 70c as well. So my first thought was to simply buy a new cooler, but I realised that it's time to upgrade my CPU as it's holding me back quite a bit (got a XFX HD 6950 2GB), and I've been wanting to play stuff in dolphin for years.

I have Acer Predator G3610 with i7 Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz (I think). Stock CPU speeds. Is it a good thing to overclock the CPU? How can I do that? I have never done that before but I am familiar how to work with computers.

Ty4on

I'm considering buying an ASRock Z77 EXTREME4 ATX with a 3570K and OC to about 4.4 - 4.5GHZ maybe. So I wonder if anyone has any tips of a cooling solution for the CPU, preferrably under $100?

I would like for it to be about as quiet (or even more quiet, if possible) as my AC Twin Turbo II on 7V if possible. My case is an Antec P180.

My current Phenom 9950 on stock cooling/stock clock can get a bit noisy with a high pitched sound under high load, and it can reach up to about 70c as well. So my first thought was to simply buy a new cooler, but I realised that it's time to upgrade my CPU as it's holding me back quite a bit (got a XFX HD 6950 2GB), and I've been wanting to play stuff in dolphin for years.

The Cooler Master 212 Hyper is cheap and good. You can then add a silent fan if it's too noisy. The Noctua NH-D14 has gotten praise for performing well and being quiet, but it's expensive and big. The NZXT Havik 140 has similar performance. For the price it's hard to beat the 212 though.

Tenck

*sigh* Storage space is really starting to kick my ass again. I really do think that if I do get a new system, an SSD by itself ain't gonna be enough. I need that extra terabyte.

Dude, you don't go all SSD. You do both internal and SSD. External if you're still looking for more space.

With so much software to download these days, people are likely to even fill a TB HDD fast if they don't control themselves.

Anyone with a P8Z77-V Deluxe able to comment on the quality of the onboard wireless? Probably end up being able to ethernet but worth checking in case. Is this kind of thing ever any good, or is it always better to go for separate card?

Prozel

What's the consensus on Momentus XT? I love my SSD but I also want more space. This seems like a great fusion with speed above average and big capacity at a more reasonable price.

Smokey

Can someone help me build a new gaming PC? My current rig is one I built back in 2003 I think. Its got a 9800GT in it and I haven't used it much for anything aside from web surfing. Been gaming on console since 2006.

I want to run Far Cry 3 on max settings with all the bells and whistles. I have 3 23" Asus monitors I would like to utilize as well as a 73" DLP 1080p 3DTV. I'm willing to go tri or even quad SLI if it comes to it. Any advice on a build would be great because at this point I'm pretty open to anything and I havent been in the PC scene for a long time.

Your first step should be to narrow down the limit that you want to spend. From there look at the configs in the OP, and if you have questions them post your specific requests here and we can help.

Kurdel

Banned
So I just got my new PC, a i5 3570K and a GTX660ti with too much ram.

I am getting a stable 50 FPS in Crysis 2 with all set to Ultra on DX11 in 1080, with dips to 40 fps during intense action cutscenes with explosions.

To be honest, I did not expect the game to be this pretty. The submarine scene at the beginning really shocked me.

I also booted up Crysis for posterity sake, seeing it was for a long time the white whale of PC gaming, and man that game looks old. I know mods can make it pretty again, but vanilla Crysis looks dated as fuck.

kharma45

Let's say I'm buying a 690 next year. I currently have an X58A-UD3R, i7 930 overclocked to 3.3, 12 gigs of ram, 850w power supply and a Noctua U12P. What would I need to scrap and what can I keep?

Why a 690?

You should also be able to squeeze a lot better OC out of that i7 too, but moving to a new IB (or even Haswell CPU) would see you get better use out of it as they'll offer PCIe 3.

mkenyon

Banned
I posted this in the tech forum in OT, but was told it might be better suited for here. Im just going to copy and paste as its easier.

im in the process of building a new machine (its been about 8 years since ive built one, so im out of the loop on a few things) Would anyone that is more up to date on this stuff be able to tell me if the motherboard and video card i have linked below would work well together? Im kind of looking for a card that will support 3 monitors, but from my quick research it means my budget would pretty much have to double. thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...sc_sfl_title_2

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
I'm getting 404 errors from your links. Check the OP though.
Let's say I'm buying a 690 next year. I currently have an X58A-UD3R, i7 930 overclocked to 3.3, 12 gigs of ram, 850w power supply and a Noctua U12P. What would I need to scrap and what can I keep?
You could keep everything. You could also upgrade everything to 1366's replacement, socket 2011/X79.

I think 690s are a bad buy. There's too little VRAM and memory bandwidth at its price point. I traded mine away for 3 4GB 670s, much happier with this as I have three physical cards I can move around to different computers or sell off in bits to buy the next high end stuff.

If you want ultimate performance with ultimate frames at some high resolution, think about two 4GB 680s or 7970s instead.

This will seriously be quieter than any noctua/thermalright cooler and get the job done.

Buy a Hyper 212+ Evo, and two Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition fans (they come in twin packs for a discount). You could even just get a single SP120 Quiet Edition and it'll be good.
NoRéN;44906667 said:
Any general consensus on recommended thermal paste?
Phobya HeGrease and Prolimatech PK-1/2/3.

Broadwell consumer is BGA, but broadwell is not the next line up of CPUs. Broadwell enthusiast is still LGA.

I think we're going to need to add something to the OP about this so people stop buying the FUD being spread.

ithorien

Broadwell consumer is BGA, but broadwell is not the next line up of CPUs. Broadwell enthusiast is still LGA.

I think we're going to need to add something to the OP about this so people stop buying the FUD being spread.

Problem right now is that other sources are spreading this around as gospel, like we're going to be sol and unable to customize anything. Matter of fact, I read two separate articles and was going to look for more info about it until I saw your post.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The highest processor I can find before I have to replace my motherboard (it's am3 but not am3+) is a 4x 3.4ghz. I'm very hesitant to replace my mb right now, is that phenom OK for future 1080p gaming for a while?

Shambles

What's the consensus on Momentus XT? I love my SSD but I also want more space. This seems like a great fusion with speed above average and big capacity at a more reasonable price.

My experience is that you get the worst of both worlds. Sometimes the cache has the files you're looking for on it but very often it doesn't. I wouldn't recommend it as it's nowhere near the performance of an SSD but you're still paying a premium over a HDD.

The highest processor I can find before I have to replace my motherboard (it's am3 but not am3+) is a 4x 3.4ghz. I'm very hesitant to replace my mb right now, is that phenom OK for future 1080p gaming for a while?

Depends what you'd be paying for it and what GPU it's paired with. It can't compete with anything Intel now but it should be serviceable.

Prozel

My experience is that you get the worst of both worlds. Sometimes the cache has the files you're looking for on it but very often it doesn't. I wouldn't recommend it as it's nowhere near the performance of an SSD but you're still paying a premium over a HDD.

Sucks to know, but the price seemed too good to be true and now I see why.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Depends what you'd be paying for it and what GPU it's paired with. It can't compete with anything Intel now but it should be serviceable.
I just got a 7870 2gb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom