• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

scogoth

I just finished updating to windows 8 pro 64 bit and now every time I open origin it stops working right away. I've uninstalled it, re downloaded it and installed it again and still the same thing. The details to the error gave me this.
Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Users\JJBro1\AppData\Local\Temp\WERCE80.tmp.appcompat.txt
C:\Users\JJBro1\AppData\Local\Temp\WERCF8B.tmp.mdmp

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=190175

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
Any solutions to this?

Did you do an upgrade? You might have to clean install windows. Origin and many other programs broke for me when upgrading to Win8. Win8 also breaks dx9 overlays so if you use mumble, TS, or other programs that have in game overlays turn them off and try again.

Tenck

So am I able to install W8 on my new PC if I already had it installed on my dead laptop? I don't want to buy the damn OS all over again.

scogoth

So am I able to install W8 on my new PC if I already had it installed on my dead laptop? I don't want to buy the damn OS all over again.
You might have to call Microsoft to reactivate. It's automated if they redirect you to a person just tell them your story.

scogoth

I'm getting 404 errors from your links. Check the OP though.

You could keep everything. You could also upgrade everything to 1366's replacement, socket 2011/X79.

I think 690s are a bad buy. There's too little VRAM and memory bandwidth at its price point. I traded mine away for 3 4GB 670s, much happier with this as I have three physical cards I can move around to different computers or sell off in bits to buy the next high end stuff.

If you want ultimate performance with ultimate frames at some high resolution, think about two 4GB 680s or 7970s instead.

Nehalem with two 4GB 680s is the way to go. I can attest to that.
OC that i7 to 4.3 not 3.3!

sixghost

I'm trying to install Windows 8 OEM on a new PC with no dvd drive. So I download the Windows 8 64 bit release preview iso onto a flash drive, put that flash drive into the new PC when it boots the first time, install that, then use the code from the OEM disc to upgrade to a full version of 8?

Birbo

Any good deals for a full version out there? Going to be building my first gaming PC over the holidays and I need me an OS. Thinking about biting on a deal at Newegg for $70.

Hi PC GAF - I've been tasked with putting together a low cost (around $450 all in), no frills htpc for a friend of mine. He wants to have it simply to store and playback his movies and music. He'll be hooking it up to his receiver via HDMI. He won't be playing games with it at all.

This is what I've put together so far:

Motherboard:
Gigabyte H61M-DS2H mATX LGA1155 H61 DDR3 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 SATA2 HDMI Video Sound Motherboard

CPU:
Intel Celeron G540 Dual Core Sandy Bridge Processor 2.5GHZ LGA1155 2MB Cache 65W

HDD:
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA 6Gbps 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive

MEMORY:
Corsair CMV4GX3M1A1333C9 4GB 1X4GB DDR3-1333 CL9

PSU:
Antec Neo Eco 450C Power Supply ATX 12V Active PFC 80PLUS 120MM Fan

OPTICAL DRIVE:
ASUS DVD-E818A7T/BLK/B/GEN Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive

CASE:
Nmedia HTPC-1000B Desktop Media Centre Case mATX Black 1X5.25 4X3.5INT Card Reader

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT

My question is what do you think of these parts? any compatibility issues that you see? will this pc fill my friends needs (i.e. music and video storage/playback)?.

Omiee

I just installed two 7950's yesterday and since than my pc has been unstable a bit.

Today it has crashed 5 times when im going regular stuff like browsing the internet or watching a movie(not even1080p).

I tried driver sweeper and new drivers but i keep getting crashes and blue screen error's

what could it be guys?

I have a asus motherboard.

i5 2500k

windows 7 ultimate installed

and a seasonic 80 bronze 850w powersuply(could it be that i need a better power supply?)

kharma45

Hi PC GAF - I've been tasked with putting together a low cost (around $450 all in), no frills htpc for a friend of mine. He wants to have it simply to store and playback his movies and music. He'll be hooking it up to his receiver via HDMI. He won't be playing games with it at all.

Motherboard:
Gigabyte H61M-DS2H mATX LGA1155 H61 DDR3 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 SATA2 HDMI Video Sound Motherboard

CPU:
Intel Celeron G540 Dual Core Sandy Bridge Processor 2.5GHZ LGA1155 2MB Cache 65W

HDD:

MEMORY:

PSU:
Antec Neo Eco 450C Power Supply ATX 12V Active PFC 80PLUS 120MM Fan

OPTICAL DRIVE:

CASE:
Nmedia HTPC-1000B Desktop Media Centre Case mATX Black 1X5.25 4X3.5INT Card Reader

My question is what do you think of these parts? any compatibility issues that you see? will this pc fill my friends needs (i.e. music and video storage/playback)?.

Considered an AMD APU?

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=76273&vpn=AD5300OKHJBOX&manufacture=AMD&promoid=1310

plus

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=76664&vpn=FM2A75M-DGS&manufacture=ASRock

kharma45

Actually for what the build is looking to do the Celeron is actually more than fine, but it was just another option with a bit more graphical grunt for a smidgen less money.

Actually for what the build is looking to do the Celeron is actually more than fine, but it was just another option with a bit more graphical grunt for a smidgen less money.

Ah, okay - I think I'll stick with the Celeron then. In the off chance he ever wants to do some gaming I can always stick a cheapy graphics card in there.

Grokbu

The Cooler Master 212 Hyper is cheap and good. You can then add a silent fan if it's too noisy. The Noctua NH-D14 has gotten praise for performing well and being quiet, but it's expensive and big. The NZXT Havik 140 has similar performance. For the price it's hard to beat the 212 though.

If you want ultimate performance with ultimate frames at some high resolution, think about two 4GB 680s or 7970s instead.

This will seriously be quieter than any noctua/thermalright cooler and get the job done.

Buy a Hyper 212+ Evo, and two Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition fans (they come in twin packs for a discount). You could even just get a single SP120 Quiet Edition and it'll be good.

Thanks a bunch for the help guys! Now I know some stuff to look for.

What I have to make up my mind on also is wether I will go with a 2500K or a 3570K. I've read a bit, and the 3570K, while giving better results per clock, seems to get quite hot at higher clocks and might give people some trouble at certain clocks as well. I haven't dabbled too much into this though, but that's what I've gathered. From what I understand, a 2500K@4.5GHz will be enough for a lot of games in Dolphin, which actually is one of the things I want to be able to run well. But I do know that there are some games that won't run well without extremely good CPU's.

Oh well. Again, thanks for the help!

sixghost

Is it normal for the motherboard CPU lever to require a lot of force to close? I watched two of the build videos in the OP, and they seemed to close it much much more easily. There is a little creaking noise when I start to press down on it. I'm sure it was orientated correctly too. The notches and arrow matched up.

t-ramp

Is it normal for the motherboard CPU lever to require a lot of force to close? I watched two of the build videos in the OP, and they seemed to close it much much more easily. There is a little creaking noise when I start to press down on it. I'm sure it was orientated correctly too. The notches and arrow matched up.
Yes, it requires some force. It's a bit worrying at first, but it is normal.

This is so frustrating, my i5 CPU and 670 should have arrived on Tuesday. Another day passes, and it's another day where my half-completed PC case just stares right back at me. I just want to finish up and see what my new rig can do, but, for now I'm the infinite hell that is waiting for a delivery that I don't know quite when (or if) is going to come. I'm at the stage where I'm cursing every delivery van that drives past my house without stopping. I should also stop reading this thread and the PC high-res pics, it's doing me no good at all.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
This is so frustrating, my i5 CPU and 670 should have arrived on Tuesday. Another day passes, and it's another day where my half-completed PC case just stares right back at me. I just want to finish up and see what my new rig can do, but, for now I'm the infinite hell that is waiting for a delivery that I don't know quite when (or if) is going to come. I'm at the stage where I'm cursing every delivery van that drives past my house without stopping. I should also stop reading this thread and the PC high-res pics, it's doing me no good at all.

I know your pain. Four of my items have been pushed back. I was hoping to have everything by Saturday, but it looks like monday is the golden day now. I can survive, but I'm excited to get the build process going.

Lkr

Can't you track the order?

JJBro One

Did you do an upgrade? You might have to clean install windows. Origin and many other programs broke for me when upgrading to Win8. Win8 also breaks dx9 overlays so if you use mumble, TS, or other programs that have in game overlays turn them off and try again.
How do you do a clean install from an upgrade?

So, after my first post the wonderful Kharma put together this build for me:

CPU - 3570K

8GB Corsair Low Profile RAM

AMD 7950 GPU plus 4 games

Hyper 212 CPU cooler

Bitfenix Shinobi case

ASUS Z77 mobo

1TB HDD (could cut costs here with a 500GB one)

XFX 550w PSU

At just over £700 It's pretty much the maximum budget I can afford, he also convinced me to build it myself. Pretty scary but it'll go fine right? ....RIGHT?!

Shambles

How do you do a clean install from an upgrade?

Edit a registry value on a clean install and your upgrade serial will validate.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1724637

CPU - 3570K

Hyper 212 CPU cooler

Bitfenix Shinobi case

ASUS Z77 mobo

XFX 550w PSU

At just over £700 It's pretty much the maximum budget I can afford, he also convinced me to build it myself. Pretty scary but it'll go fine right? ....RIGHT?!

You'll be fine. If you run into any problems just take a picture and post in this thread.

kharma45

CPU - 3570K

Hyper 212 CPU cooler

Bitfenix Shinobi case

ASUS Z77 mobo

XFX 550w PSU

Bar a copy of Windows yeah that's all.

It's just an idea for a build obviously, cuts can be made in some areas to save money and if you want an SSD you could do something like drop the 7950 to say a 7850.

Need help with my computer (a custom build and it's a couples years old): everytime I try to boot the computer up it has a BSOD and then immediately crashes afterwards. Noticed problems yesterday when it kept rebooting during Civ 5. A memory issue maybe?

Smokey

Need help with my computer (a custom build and it's a couples years old): everytime I try to boot the computer up it has a BSOD and then immediately crashes afterwards. Noticed problems yesterday when it kept rebooting during Civ 5. A memory issue maybe?

Are you running on stock settings for your CPU? Also get the BSOD code when it does it again.

mkenyon

Banned
Alright PC GAF. I'm trying to pull as many funds together as possible to get my new business (Zero Five Zero, LLC) off the ground. Need a Z77/3770K, test bench, CFM/Pressure/Temp meter, dB meter, etc. This is going to lead to some pretty cool tests I'll be running that are almost entirely sourced by the types of questions asked in this thread.

If anyone needs a 2500K, H60, Sabertooth P67, and 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP, I am selling the whole shebang for $300 shipped. This is 100% stable at 4.5GHz, even through encoding/folding. This processor has not been used very much, and has never given me any issues.

If you need new PC guts, I'll sell the above, plus 120GB Corsair Force GT, Seasonic X-750 (with Psychosleeve cables - $600 value between sleeving and PSU) and as many Spectre Pro fans as you want/need for $600.

System here:

nDECz.jpg

Also, if you don't mind creating a login or using facebook, I would really really appreciate votes for my system here at the CooledPC competition. Things are looking good as is, but could really use some more votes to solidify my current place. Scogoth would really appreciate it too!

Kurdel

Banned
I know I sound like a broken record now, but man this gaming PC business is amazing.

I have been playing PC games since Wolfenstein, and this is the first time I am an enjoying the luxury of a modern gaming PC. After years of 15 fps games, this almost feels like cheating.

I mean, jesus christ. Fuck. These games looks stunning. Fuck.

I am sorry, and also tha k you guys for the advice. I never really asked too much, but you have all been great at helping me join your secret club. I also need Steam freinds, so PM me your id so we can be buddies!

Are you running on stock settings for your CPU? Also get the BSOD code when it does it again.

I am almost positive it's running at stock settings, but I need to double check. It's a 2500k if that matters.

And I'm pretty sure this is the code I got, but I haven't been able to recreate it: STOP Error 0x000000C1 to STOP Error 0x0000011D

And lastly, I managed to boot to the desktop and tried to run a few programs but ever single one of them crashed or gave me an error message (lucid, chrome, windows explorer, and steam.) In particular, the Steam error message said: registry is in use by another process, timeout expired. And lastly I got this message: Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute. Please save your work now.

Lkr

I am almost positive it's running at stock settings, but I need to double check. It's a 2500k if that matters.

And I'm pretty sure this is the code I got, but I haven't been able to recreate it: STOP Error 0x000000C1 to STOP Error 0x0000011D

And lastly, I managed to boot to the desktop and tried to run a few programs but ever single one of them crashed or gave me an error message (lucid, chrome, windows explorer, and steam.) In particular, the Steam error message said: registry is in use by another process, timeout expired. And lastly I got this message: Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute. Please save your work now.
Have you ran memtest?

Motherboard:

CPU:

HDD:

MEMORY:

OPTICAL DRIVE:

CASE/PSU:
Antec NSK2480 mITX mATX Desktop Case 2X5.25 2X3.5INT Front USB Audio With 380W PSU

I've updated the build for my friend - added the antec case/psu combo. I'm going to install xbmc on it and it's going to be used mainly for movie watching and music listening. Does this build raise any red flags for anyone? I would love to get some more feedback from pc gaf before I pull the trigger on it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
If I'm looking to buy next month, is the GTX 680 pretty much the best single card available? I'm also looking at the AMD 7970 since the price difference and (seemingly) better memory setup is attractive, but I imagine I'd be better off with the Nvidia card.

Any information or links in favor of either card would be appreciated. What are the main reasons to go with one over the other (ignoring the price factor)?

2San

Right now the 7970 is the single most powerful GPU out. It does use quite a bit more power though.
Really, wow that's a pretty nice then. It seems to go around for 380 euro over here. Almost tempted to buy, but the games I'm playing atm aren't really pushing my 6950. :|

kharma45

Really, wow that's a pretty nice then. It seems to go around for 380 euro over here. Almost tempted to buy, but the games I'm playing atm aren't really pushing my 6950. :|

Stick with it then if you're happy and upgrade to something like an SSD if you don't already have one.

2San

Stick with it then if you're happy and upgrade to something like an SSD if you don't already have one.
Already have a SSD. Good stuff, I die a bit inside every time a touch a PC without a SSD. :p I'm happy with my current set-up, but the thought of having the best single gpu in my pc sounds nice.

kharma45

Already have a SSD. Good stuff, I die a bit inside every time a touch a PC without a SSD. :p I'm happy with my current set-up, but the thought of having the best single gpu in my pc sounds nice.

Save your money until next year and get the next wave of GPUs, your 6950 will be good until then :) ever looked to see if you can unlock yours to a 6970?

Alright guys, I'm on the verge of building my first PC. I think I have most things figured out, but I'm going to unload a bunch of questions I have... any/all help would really be appreciated.

1. I have all the parts except a video card and an OS:

CPU: i5 3570k
Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo
MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi
RAM: 8GB G.Skill
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST
PSU: SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W ATX12V​

So here's the problem: if I plug in a 7950 (which is about the limit of my video card budget), it starts getting very close to the 550W power draw limit of my PSU on the Newegg and eXtreme wattage calculators. And I'm planning to try overclocking down the line, which would draw more power. Should I send the PSU back for something bigger?

2. The Fractal Arc Midi comes with several case fans, and there are several options for how to connect them to power. I think the MOBO has enough slots (if I'm reading the manual correctly), but there's also a manual controller and I could probably also connect them to the PSU. Which is the best option? If I connect them to the MOBO, will the chipset or the OS automatically adjust the speed for optimum cooling?

3. Do I need a partitioned drive when I'm installing a new OS? I've watched several videos (some linked in the OP, like the Newegg one) and I still can't determine exactly what I need to do to install a new OS on a fresh HDD. Is it necessary for backups/recovery?

4. What is the best way to install the OS? My motherboard's manual has steps regarding setting up "UEFI", while most videos I've seen just have the user boot from the optical media drive.

5. I know installing an OS from an upgrade disc/download been discussed endlessly in this thread and elsewhere, and there's so much confusion and conflicting information that I think I'm just going to get a new version of Windows 7. What if I end up getting a SSD down the line; will I need to somehow de-activate my computer to install it, or purchase a new version entirely? And would paying ~$10-20 more for Windows 8 be worth it, if my main concern is games compatibility? I can deal with a new interface if the other improvements are worthwhile.​

VoxPop

Do you have a copy of Windows, a monitor, a keyboard, and a mouse? If not, then those right there will run you about $160-180 of your build after shipping/taxes. If you don't have those things available, then as someone else said, a pre-built might be the way to go.

Yep I have all those things. Money is going purely to making a pc. I can do up to maybe 450. Or I might just take the easy way out and get her a Mac mini :p

CPU - 3570K

Hyper 212 CPU cooler

Bitfenix Shinobi case

ASUS Z77 mobo

XFX 550w PSU

Yeah, you'll be fine. Just take your time with building it, read the motherboard manual, make sure you've connected all those little power/reset/hdd switches etc. and don't rush yourself. You've probably saved yourself £200 in terms of building it yourself, and, trust me, once you've got the thing up and running, you'll feel super satisfied that you took the time to do it all yourself.

I think I spent around £700 myself, I bought a similar fan, motherboard and the exact same CPU and cooler. It's half-built, just waiting on Amazon to deliver my CPU, GPU, and cooler.

wilflare

thinking of doing some budget upgrades to my rig listed below.
it has been with me.. since.. late 2009/2010 with some small upgrades.

any advice or suggestions?

Code:
Processor
AMD Phenom II X2 550BE @ X4 3.5GHz w/ Noctua U12P
Mainboard
MSi 790FX-GD70
Graphics Card
Sapphire HD5830 Xtreme
Memory
Kingston 2X4GB
Display
DELL 2209WA
Storage
WD 640GB Black (OS) + WD 1TB Green (Storage)
Optical Storage
Pioneer DVR-217BK (20x)
Casing
Silverstone FT01
PSU
Corsair HX620
Audio
Audinst HUD-MX1 @ AE Aego M
OS
Windows 7 (X64) Home Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.