• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I'm not really looking to build a whole new system, but was just wondering if there's any GPU that can be had for bargain prices today that would be a significant step up from the GTX 260 I have. I know that I'll probably be bottlenecked even with the E8400 I upgraded to from an E5200, but just thought I'd throw this out there.

Bleether

Banned
Well I think I'll go with a 24"/1080p. But that one is not LED. Does that make a difference?

also what is the DIFFERENCE between these 3 monitors. Or is there any other you could recommend?? 24"/1080p for GAMING??

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236102
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236153
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236123

I know the last one is 25inch.

I would definitely suggest going 120hz, it's definitely worth every extra penny.

Shambles

Already got one screw out, so pretty sure I've been going the right way. Hands are exhausted, so will take a break for a bit. Probably just need a better screwdriver. I might pick one up tonight - I'm just using some really tiny things I got from Radio Shack years ago.

Usually it's just a matter of detaching any attached cards and cables and simply undo-ing 6 screws keeping the motherboard in. If it's specifically the screws you're having trouble with I would assume that your screwdriver head is quite a bit larger/smaller than the screw head. They should unscrew fairly easily.

FinKL

Thank You. I like this one. I think this is it. lol

Unless anyone else think there is a better 120hz under $400 :) ?

Asus has a 120hz variant that is comparable to the samsung 1 that you posted that sold out. I recently purchased the Samsung you mentioned from TD. Most people that critique these 3 120hz monitors say the BenQ's color's are not as nice, but has the lowest input lag.

Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time finding it besides mwave and even there it's "temporarily sold out"

nilbog21

Banned
Hey my cousin is looking for a new computer, are there any good recent $400-500 rigs? He wants to use it for gaming, says he would like to play skyrim decently. I'll put it together for him

derder

So pretty much

27" IPS (Awesome viewing angles+Colors+1440p Res) $700
vs
27" TN (Not IPS panel + 1080p Res) $321
vs
24" TN (Not IPS panel + 1080p Res) $199

What are you looking for exactly in a gaming monitor? The bottom 2 are exactly the same screen resolution (the 27" might look more pixaly) If you're looking for a decent gaming monitor the bottom would suit your needs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001472

I have that and it's fucking awesome. 1080p is fine for gaming at 120hz

Fractal Arc Midi is back at $60 on Newegg if anyone's interested.
... of course.

fuck-this-and-this.gif

mkenyon

Banned
Asus has a 120hz variant that is comparable to the samsung 1 that you posted that sold out. I recently purchased the Samsung you mentioned from TD. Most people that critique these 3 120hz monitors say the BenQ's color's are not as nice, but has the lowest input lag.

Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time finding it besides mwave and even there it's "temporarily sold out"
Yeah, I think it's a discontinued model. There was a fellow who went into detail about these a little ways back that convinced me to take a second look at them. I couldn't find any in stock anywhere.

cory64

My 4870 started full screen artifacting (has had minor issues for like a year) so I went ahead and ordered a 660. Seems like a decent sized leap. I'll get to upgrading the rest of my system in 2-3 months.

Why is the Fractal Arc Midi a good case? lots of people use it?

Really love their cases though, I really hope the Arc 2 is true, or other models go on sales as well.

mkenyon

Banned
Why is the Fractal Arc Midi a good case? lots of people use it?

Really love their cases though, I really hope the Arc 2 is true, or other models go on sales as well.
For starters, elegant design rather than all gaudy. The HDD cage is modular allowing for additional airflow or extra long graphics cards. You can fit a very good amount of watercooling gear in the case, more than any other mid tower out there. The stock fans are very quiet. Fan mounting options are pretty ridiculous, with a total of 8. Cable management is well thought out with enough space for even messy systems.

Pretty much, if you went down a checklist of things you want to have in a case, this has all of them.

ATF487

Nice. The Microcenter near me just ran out of stock for the i5 3570k. Now I have to wait until they get more in. I hope the deal doesn't run out soon.

The Microcenter ad said prices last until 12/2/12, hopefully they get another shipment in the next few days.

Bought the rest of the stuff today. Going to wait on a deal for a graphics card, since I don't know what to get (for under 200) and need to do some research. I should probably get an optical drive too at some point but I can't decide if a blu-ray drive would be worth it.
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($42.74 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Diablotek CPA-6170 ATX Mid Tower Case ($53.80 @ CompUSA)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($31.64 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Samsung S22B350H 21.5" Monitor ($168.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $645.13

Couple of quick questions for PC-GAF:

1) I am looking to upgrade to a GeForce 660 Ti 2GB from a Radeon HD 6870 1GB, am I looking at a decent upgrade in terms of performance here? On some of the more recent PC releases I am starting to see my Radeon stressing on High settings in most games at 1080p and am hoping that this will be a noticeable improvement.

2) Which brings me to this question, I have an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 running at 2.83GHz. Is this processor good enough to keep up with the 660 Ti? I have always been really bad at telling what part of my machine is bottlenecking performance.

The Microcenter ad said prices last until 12/2/12, hopefully they get another shipment in the next few days.
Yeah I just called them an hour ago and they told me that they'll get more in on Friday. The guy I was speaking to told me that sale should at least be lasting until mid-December as he looked into it.

Also I've got a question for everyone else. Should I go with the Hyper 212+ or EVO?

For starters, elegant design rather than all gaudy. The HDD cage is modular allowing for additional airflow or extra long graphics cards. You can fit a very good amount of watercooling gear in the case, more than any other mid tower out there. The stock fans are very quiet. Fan mounting options are pretty ridiculous, with a total of 8. Cable management is well thought out with enough space for even messy systems.

Pretty much, if you went down a checklist of things you want to have in a case, this has all of them.

Thanks for that. I regret not being able to make a purchase right now but that case is definitely under radar.

mkenyon

Banned
Couple of quick questions for PC-GAF:

1) I am looking to upgrade to a GeForce 660 Ti 2GB from a Radeon HD 6870 1GB, am I looking at a decent upgrade in terms of performance here? On some of the more recent PC releases I am starting to see my Radeon stressing on High settings in most games at 1080p and am hoping that this will be a noticeable improvement.

2) Which brings me to this question, I have an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 running at 2.83GHz. Is this processor good enough to keep up with the 660 Ti? I have always been really bad at telling what part of my machine is bottlenecking performance.
1) The 660Ti is in a really really bad spot. It's heavily outperformed by the 7950, and the lead grows to near double the performance when you jack up the AA. This also simulates what it'll be like when games start to use more VRAM, think a year down the road. So what I'm saying is get the 7950 instead.

2) Overclock it. Bottlenecks are on a game by game basis, but you would most certainly benefit from a new mobo/CPU when you can afford it.

RedSwirl

Even after I upgrade to a new system (which might not be until at least Spring now), I still intend to keep my current one around for a while. Because of this I've thought of buying more RAM for it. Currently it's only got 3GB (DDR2 I think) and I'm wondering how I'd go about upgrading that particular configuration. I hear 3GB configurations are unusual.

I don't even really know what my system's maximum amount of RAM is (I bought it in 2007). Would I likely upgrade from 3GB to 6, or what?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I thought this new 7870 would render like melted butter compared to my 5770, but I'm sometimes seeing only modest improvements in a bunch of games. Could my x3 3ghz Athlon ii be the problem here?

longdi

Banned
I thought this new 7870 would render like melted butter compared to my 5770, but I'm sometimes seeing only modest improvements in a bunch of games. Could my x3 3ghz Athlon ii be the problem here?

yes your cpu is greatly holding back.
because some games and programs are not optimised for the triple cores, so it will work like dual cores...

mkenyon

Banned
Even after I upgrade to a new system (which might not be until at least Spring now), I still intend to keep my current one around for a while. Because of this I've thought of buying more RAM for it. Currently it's only got 3GB (DDR2 I think) and I'm wondering how I'd go about upgrading that particular configuration. I hear 3GB configurations are unusual.

I don't even really know what my system's maximum amount of RAM is (I bought it in 2007). Would I likely upgrade from 3GB to 6, or what?
Your motherboard manual will likely tell you. I can't comment unless I had a copy of it myself.

Likely, you have four slots. You could just as easily replace all of it with 4 or 8GB of DDR2 if you can't find a matching pair.

Alright I have always been confused about this and I'm hoping that someone can clear this up . This is about video card specs/prices. Here it goes.

The 7970 and 7950 are both 3GB 384-bit, yet you must pay $150 more for the 7970. Why is this so?

I've been interested in the GTX 680 4GB FTW because of how much praise it gets but why are cards with similar specs at prices a hundred or two dollars less?

I am willing to spend 4 or even 500 dollars on one of these things and I want to have a really good idea is all.

EDIT: I see that there is a difference in stream processors but that can't be the only reason, can it?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Alright I have always been confused about this and I'm hoping that someone can clear this up . This is about video card specs/prices. Here it goes.

The 7970 and 7950 are both 3GB 384-bit, yet you must pay $150 more for the 7970. Why is this so?

I've been interested in the GTX 680 4GB FTW because of how much praise it gets but why are cards with similar specs at prices a hundred or two dollars less?

I am willing to spend 4 or even 500 dollars on one of these things and I want to have a really good idea is all.

EDIT: I see that there is a difference in stream processors but that can't be the only reason, can it?
You are thinking too hard.

It's most expensive because it is faster. The 680 is more expensive because nVidia likes giving cards lower RAM (2GB added from 3rd party) and subsidizes their CUDA/PhysX cost and developer money hats.

On a technical level 7970 vs 7950, yes because it has more 'cores'.

Get a 7950 and be happy, or look up benchmarks to determine you actually need the power of greater cards.

Suggest filling out the sheet in the OP.

1st Question: IIRC usually the higher number model has an higher amount of shader/ROP/core/stream units and the ram on the higher card runs at a faster frequency. doesn't matter much since most of the time the lower card can be overclocked to a point where it might reach the higher card.

2nd question: if you mean different 680s it can be due to manufacturer, type of cooler on the card, if the card is overclocked or not and i guess some other stuff

Current Specs: CPU: Phenom II X4 820 Quad-core processor / RAM: 6 GB DDR3 / Motherboard: Chipset AMD 880G / GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (LOL) / PSU: 300 watts

Budget: for a new PSU, $400, maybe even 500, and I know I'll need another PSU to go along with it

Main Use: Gaming, HD streaming, video editing, 3D work

Monitor Resolution: 1080p on my 22'' monitor and on the 46'' television

Specific games I MUST be able to play: Metro 2033, GTA 4 w/ ICenhancer, Day Z flawlessly 60-120 fps on ultra/max settings

Looking to reuse any parts? I donno, no probably

When will you build? I want to give it another month or two, latest will be the end of December.

Will you be overclocking? I don't even know what that is exactly, so maybe

RedSwirl

Your motherboard manual will likely tell you. I can't comment unless I had a copy of it myself.

Likely, you have four slots. You could just as easily replace all of it with 4 or 8GB of DDR2 if you can't find a matching pair.

Is that gonna require additional wattage?

scogoth

^all above posts is true and correct.

A more general answer to help you understand how it works in crazy GPU land is a mix of technical and marketing reasons.
Most GPUs from a specific vendor (nvidia/amd) are actually based on very few chip designs. When they make a chip they make a bunch on a single wafer which is just a huge silicon disc. Although all the GPUs are supposed to be the same but manufacturing defects damage some of the chips. GPUs are designed with that in mind and are built in sections that can be disabled if they contain defects. For example a GTX680 is a fully functional chip, a 670 is one functional unit disabled, 660Ti is two units disabled then the 650 is a different chip. As you lose functional units you lose performance and these products are priced accordingly. Also there are customizations from different companies such as doubling the VRAM to 4GB, custom coolers or factory overclocks that increase price and hopefully performance.

Now the marketing, why is a 680 a hundred+ dollars more than a 670 which is 90% the performance? Because people pay it! They (and I mean me) want the top of the line, the absolute best and NVIDIA know it so they charge more.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Current Specs: CPU: Phenom II X4 820 Quad-core processor / RAM: 6 GB DDR3 / Motherboard: Chipset AMD 880G / GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (LOL) / PSU: 300 watts

Budget: for a new PSU, $400, maybe even 500, and I know I'll need another PSU to go along with it

Main Use: Gaming, HD streaming, video editing, 3D work

Monitor Resolution: 1080p on my 22'' monitor and on the 46'' television

Specific games I MUST be able to play: Metro 2033, GTA 4 w/ ICenhancer, Day Z flawlessly 60-120 fps on ultra/max settings

Looking to reuse any parts? I donno, no probably

When will you build? I want to give it another month or two, latest will be the end of December.

Will you be overclocking? I don't even know what that is exactly, so maybe
Nab a BP550 and 7950 with 2 or 3 fans.
Also a heatsink for your CPU, CM 212 EVO if you can overclock.

Your demands are high, but you have a stock x4 820 which isn't winning any medals. Luckily it seems like Metro and GTA IV don't care too much about CPU clock speed past 3.4Ghz or so, don't know how they hold up with mods.
I'm not positive that your CPU can hold up 60FPS average under those demands even overclocked. 60FPS will be your limit as you can't display over 60FPS (Your TV is not 120Hz, it's a 60FPS cap).

However you need to OC your CPU.

I'm having trouble imagining the significance of a functional unit.

This is me right now:

[.....] [.....] GTX680

[ x ] [.....] 670

[ x ][ x ][...] 660 Ti

[?????] 650

So what, these blank areas are useless? :lol

ANYWAY, thanks for all of your advice! I'm think gonna look more into the 7950 and the 70.

AkIRA_22

So I've received my second 7970, cleaned the old loop with water and vinigar and tooth brushed the CPU, couldn't be fucked doing the two GPU blocks *didn't want to break them*. Waiting for the 140mm Rad and hardware to install it, once I do it's game on. I have made one small adjustment, the input is now on the right meaning no evil crossing tubes. I've added an angled fitting on the top GPU to neaten up the tubing.

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

JJBro One

Right now I'm backing up 912gb of data to a 3tb usb 3.0 drive and it says it will take about 12 hours to copy. EDIT: When I switched it to the front header it now says about 2 hours? Any reason why?

Setsuna

Would anyone be able to recommend me a motherboard that fits these specifications:
  1. lga1155
  2. atx
  3. at least 2 usb 2.0 ports and 2 usb 3.0 ports

I truly do not know which to get there are just so many motherboards out there.

The parts I am planning to put together with that motherboard is

Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Black
Graphics Processing Unit: MSI N660Ti-PE-2GD5 GTX 660 Titanium
Computer processing unit: I5 3570 Ivy Bridge Processor
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Edition
Hard Drive Disk: Seagate ST1000DM003 1 Terabyte
Ram:
Motherboard:
Power Supply Unit: Kingwin LZP-550

Hopefully today's the day the postman arrives with my i5 3570k and Gigabyte 670 (with a 212 heatsink fan not too far behind). Managed a respectable haul during my first ever Steam sale; most of which I can't play, of course. GTAIV runs like a three legged donkey loaded up on valium on my E8500 with a 9500GT card. I don't think I'll bother trying Metro 2033.

STEAM SALE (OR HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING ABOUT MY SHRINKING WALLET AND LOVE INCREDIBLY CHEAP AAA GAMES)

Alan Wake & American Nightmare
Amnesia : The Dark Descent
Batman : Arkham Asylum
Broken Sword Trilogy
The Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim
Grand Theft Auto IV & Episodes from Liberty City
Home
Metro 2033
Portal 1 & 2
Psychonauts
Rage
Sid Meier's Civilisation V
Spec Ops : The Line
Tropico 4

You guys need to close down this thread until my PC comes in. Reading it kills me slowly.

Join the club, I'm currently looking at my case, it's openly taunting me. I built it over the weekend, but until my CPU and GPU arrive, it just sits there, laughing at me, as I attempt to play Civ5 on really low settings on my (soon to be old) PC.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Would getting an x4 3.4ghz processor hold me back for 1080p gaming? I realized I can't go higher than that without replacing my motherboard and I wondered how capable that one was before thinking about that hassle.

Right now I'm backing up 912gb of data to a 3tb usb 3.0 drive and it says it will take about 12 hours to copy. EDIT: When I switched it to the front header it now says about 2 hours? Any reason why?
Maybe the front port is USB 3.0?
Hopefully today's the day the postman arrives with my i5 3570k and Gigabyte 670 (with a 212 heatsink fan not too far behind). Managed a respectable haul during my first ever Steam sale; most of which I can't play, of course. GTAIV runs like a three legged donkey loaded up on valium on my E8500 with a 9500GT card. I don't think I'll bother trying Metro 2033.

STEAM SALE (OR HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING ABOUT MY SHRINKING WALLET AND LOVE INCREDIBLY CHEAP AAA GAMES)

Alan Wake & American Nightmare
Amnesia : The Dark Descent
Batman : Arkham Asylum
Broken Sword Trilogy
The Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim
Grand Theft Auto IV & Episodes from Liberty City
Home
Metro 2033
Portal 1 & 2
Psychonauts
Rage
Sid Meier's Civilisation V
Spec Ops : The Line
Tropico 4
I'm waiting for my 2500k and 670 Windforce as well. This is so exciting!

Celegus

All my new parts came yesterday and it's great! I don't have a ton of graphically intensive new games, but I did notice a big difference in Xcom especially. Didn't get to play much because the exact same new parts are giving my wife's PC troubles... for some reason horizontal "scanlines" are flickering on her monitor with the new setup. It only does it at 1920x1200 (the native resolution for the monitor) though. Updated all the drivers, tried different cables (HDMI, DVI, VGA, even different power cord), no idea why it's doing that. Gonna try some more stuff tonight but I guess something always has to go wrong with a new build.

Is this RAM good and at a good price (it's actually $25)? It's one of the recommended brands in the OP. I'm not sure exactly how important Latency and Timing are. One of the reasons I'm doing a build is to learn so if anyone has a link to good info on this, I'd definitely like to learn more. Anyway, would two of these be good for a build with an i5 3570K and something like a HD7970 or GTX 670 GPU?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231485&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL112912&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL112912-_-EMC-112912-Index-_-DesktopMemory-_-20231485-L0D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom