• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp my nearest Microcenter still hasn't restocked on the 3570k and I've been told that the deal isn't going to be stopped soon so I guess I'll just have to wait a bit.

beje

Banned
I think I'm looking to get a Z77 motherboard and i5 3570K CPU.

Could someone point me to the best price for this combo (UK prices please £££)

Try to check Amazon everyday, as the prices fluctuate a lot and you'd be able to pick a 3570K for as low as 155 quid as I did.

Lkr

Thanks! I think I understand but I'm kind of confused. He is able to run the installer on a computer using Windows 7, but when he gets to a certain point, he can stop and run it on a different computer with a blank hard drive and install and activate Windows 8 to that machine?
I think it sounds like that too but I can't guarantee it. If you have a copy of win 7 you might be able to install it and then do a clean install upgrade

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I've noticed my computer making some slightly unseemly noises lately. It just sounds like the fans are strained, which considering how little room is in my case is probably just something I'll have to live with. Its doing the "mmmMMMMMMmmmmmmmMMMMMMmmmmmMMMMMM" modulating frequency thing when its under heavy load. Its still not very loud and doesn't sound like anything is wrong.. Its just kind of annoying. I'm also not sure which part is making the noise.

Still confused about all of the Z77 motherboards out there. I don't think I need the Pro but what's the difference between the LX at £80, LK at £90 and LE at £100. WHY IS THERE SO MANY?!

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Screen going out with fans going crazy in my current PC.. probably means GPU overheating?

I can still here the game playing, but no signal to the monitor, and the computer is pretty much non-reacting to any keyboard presses.. but it's still running.. I just had to force shut it down.

It's a 5770... sometimes it just shuts the whole thing down.. it's only when playing games... could it be PSU not powering it enough or just the card going to shit?

I got my new PC on order, partly because of this and partly because the 5770 just isn't cutting it anymore.

How do I tell where the issue is coming from? I cleaned the PC out just the other day, some dust.. but nothing too bad.

ATF487

I can't decide what type of videocard to get. This is my build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($42.74 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Diablotek CPA-6170 ATX Mid Tower Case ($53.80 @ CompUSA)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($31.64 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Samsung S22B350H 21.5" Monitor ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $638.14

There is a 7850 on Newegg that I almost bit on today, 195 AR and it comes with three games. I'd sell two of them and make it about 150 AR.

It seems like the 7870 is worth the extra money, but I'm not sure if my power supply would be strong enough if I ever wanted to overclock it and get some more juice out of it. And the GTX 660 seems like it does better in some of the games I want to run, although overall it seems closer to the 7850 while costing a little more.

Anyone have any suggestions?

kharma45

Still confused about all of the Z77 motherboards out there. I don't think I need the Pro but what's the difference between the LX at £80, LK at £90 and LE at £100. WHY IS THERE SO MANY?!

LX can do crossfire, LK can do SLI and crossfire.

No idea about the LE.

I can't decide what type of videocard to get. This is my build:

There is a 7850 on Newegg that I almost bit on today, 195 AR and it comes with three games. I'd sell two of them and make it about 150 AR.

It seems like the 7870 is worth the extra money, but I'm not sure if my power supply would be strong enough if I ever wanted to overclock it and get some more juice out of it. And the GTX 660 seems like it does better in some of the games I want to run, although overall it seems closer to the 7850 while costing a little more.

Anyone have any suggestions?

First off don't get an XFX GPU, they're not great for reliability.

Change that RAM to this stuff http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00592002W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Back to the GPU, 7850 would be fine on the VP450 but for anything more I'd change your PSU to something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013

All depends on how much you can spend really, 7850 is a very good card and the likes of the Gigabyte, MSI and Sapphire all overclock well providing you don't get a rare duff one.

jon_dojah

Banned
The 860i is available on NCIX US, def buy from there.

As much as I hate on the reference EVGA cards, they do a better job in SLI than a ton of open air coolers.

I know a lot is predicated on when/if you eventually go three cards, but with two cards I'd suggest this, and for three cards this guy. If you do see yourself with three as an eventuality (and they scale really well at that resolution), then go with the EVGA one.

Be sure to get this H60. The fan on it is really good.

*EDIT*

Also, be sure to get the 3770K

And the UD7, at only $30 more than the Maximus Extreme, is WELL worth it. It's one of the best motherboards in years.

Thanks for streamlining my purchase decisions. I decided to roll with 2way SLI for now but will upgrade to 3 way later if I see the need.

I ordered everything from ncix, newegg and amazon except for the case which i saved shipping costs by picking it up at Fry's. Plus most of the things I wanted Frys didnt have those specific models. And I spent almost $1000 less than originally planned. Free shipping on most of everything at ncix and amazon is awesome.

Intel Core i7-3770K $315
Gigabyte UP7 mobo $400
CM Storm Series Trooper case $145
Corsair AX860I 860W psu $230
2 x EVGA Nvidia GTX 670 FTW 4GB $900
16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866 $103
Samsung 830 256GB SSD $210
Corsair Hydro Series H60 Water Cooler $84
Windows 7 Pro $140
taxes & shipping total $185

Total = $2712

I still need to choose some fans. Any ideas on which? Also im guessing my old IDE 20x dvd rw will work or will i need a newer one?

Thanks for streamlining my purchase decisions. I decided to roll with 2way SLI for now but will upgrade to 3 way later if I see the need.

I ordered everything from ncix, newegg and amazon except for the case which i saved shipping costs by picking it up at Fry's. Plus most of the things I wanted Frys didnt have those specific models. And I spent almost $1000 less than originally planned. Free shipping on most of everything at ncix and amazon is awesome.

Intel Core i7-3770K $315
Gigabyte UP7 mobo $400
Windows 7 Pro $140

Total = 2712

I still need to choose some fans. Any ideas on which? Also im guessing my old IDE 20x dvd rw will work or will i need a newer one?

Nope just because of the bolded (its outdated and the current ones are using SATA), so just get a new one (they go for about 15 bucks and up)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Would you guys recommend me to upgrade from an C2D E8500 @3.16ghz to an AMD Athlon II X4 640 @ 3.0ghz?

What I'm looking for is:

A) A clear upgrade from my current CPU
B) Something cheap

Reposting on new page so it won't go unnoticed :p

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, I wouldn't recommend an AMD processor.

Then again, if you're on a budget...

I'd still just save up and get a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge.

edit: just noticed how old the Athlon II X4 series is. Definitely skip it. It seems like it was made to combat the Core 2 series, which you already have.

Lkr

Nope just because of the bolded (its outdated and the current ones are using SATA), so just get a new one (they go for about 15 bucks and up)
Why wouldn't it be okay? A long as his mobo has IDE connections, and I don't know why it wouldn't, I'm sure he'd be fine for a DVD drive.

kharma45

Reposting on new page so it won't go unnoticed :p

For the most part a Pentium G840 is a better buy than those AMD's (comparing to a slighter quicker one than you've posted about)

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/188?vs=405

But then the Pentium is actually slightly worse than what you have, so I'd just stick with it :p

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/55?vs=405

One last link, your C2D against your 'upgrade' in the shape of that AMD processor :p

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/55?vs=188

ATF487

First off don't get an XFX GPU, they're not great for reliability.

Change that RAM to this stuff http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00592002W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Back to the GPU, 7850 would be fine on the VP450 but for anything more I'd change your PSU to something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013

All depends on how much you can spend really, 7850 is a very good card and the likes of the Gigabyte, MSI and Sapphire all overclock well providing you don't get a rare duff one.

Hmm, thanks for the help! I think I'm going to order this MSI 7850 then

Salsa

my gtx 560ti Twin Frozr II broke a fan quite easily, less than a year of use

broke as in one of the fans started making a really, really loud buzzing/clicking noise and it would suddenly stop. If I moved it around a bit with my hand it would get better, and as such for a while I used my PC on its side and touching the fan constantly. Googled around and it seemed somewhat common. MSI wouldnt respond and when they did they told they couldnt ship a replacement fan to my location.

That pushed me over the edge into upgrading to a 680. Im still gonna fix that someday with a new heatsink either to sell it or do something with it.

Other than that wich seems like just bad luck: card was great. 0 coil whine, great temps. Champ. This loud EVGA certainly makes me miss it.

Zeliard

Ah, that sounds too bad. I haven't had it for too long but I haven't run into any issues. You can get excellent temps from it.

Seance

Banned
So i've done some research and I can get this pre-built PC for about the same as it would cost to build ( less actually but that's assuming i get all the parts from the same site ).

$1679
Price in NZ$

PC costs are pretty expensive here.

My other, more extravagant build, is this one at $2300
Case
Cooling
2 of these video cards
or
These cheaper ones

No tax as I will be buying through my dads business.

Price isn't the issue, I just want the better value for money and future-proofing option.
I already have a 1080p monitor and a headset.

I'm leaning towards this keyboard and mouse.

This is my first voyage into the vast ocean of PC building/gaming.
Tips?

I'm wondering if I should wait till early next year. Will old parts get discounted once next gen graphics cards and intel processors come out?

So I'm building a budget computer for my little brother (we're going to build it together, it'll be his Christmas gift), I picked out a few parts. He mainly plays minecraft, World of Warcraft, and shooters like TF2 and Counterstrike/Call of Duty/etc.

The build I threw together for him:

-G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 ; $24.99
-ASRock B75M-DGS LGA 1155 Intel B75 Micro ATX ; $54.99
-Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W ; $54.99
-HAF 912 Mid Tower ; $57.99
-Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz LGA 1155 ; $159.99 (MicroCenter)
-MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB GDDR5 TF 2GD5/OC ; $229.99 ($215 after rebate)

He's using a hard drive from my parents HP computer and just a spare screen (1440x900).

Total price: $582

Figured the extra kick from the 2GB would be a nice buffer for a few years since he doesn't run many demanding games. Plus the i5 from Microcenter was as much as the i3 I was going to get him before from Newegg/Amazon.

Altogether I think I did pretty well. The MicroATX prevents him from ever utilizing SLI or putting any extra PCI cards on (like a proper sound card, etc) but for him I think its perfect and kept the price under my $600 budget while giving him enough for a mid range GPU instead of a low-mid, same with CPU.

Any thoughts?

sixghost

I don't think anyone has ever built a computer more slowly than me. It's taken like 12 hours over two days. So close to done though.

Thinking about going "all out"(For me anyway) and getting an i5-3570.

So, I need a motherboard that will accommodate that and my Sapphire Radeon HD 6870, that will fit in a Fractal Design Arc Midi case.

Is there a simpler way to sort through compatible parts (PC Part Picker, as far as I can tell only lets you make a build and then inform you after if it works)? Or can anyone recommend me something?

mkenyon

Banned

Intel Core i7-3770K $315
Gigabyte UP7 mobo $400
Windows 7 Pro $140

Total = $2712

Did you already order the case? The Cooler Master store has 30% off everything right now.

IDE will not work, motherboards don't have IDE connectors anymore.

As far as fans go, that case actually has some pretty good ones. No real need to add any.

So, I need a motherboard that will accommodate that and my Sapphire Radeon HD 6870, that will fit in a Fractal Design Arc Midi case.

Is there a simpler way to sort through compatible parts (PC Part Picker, as far as I can tell only lets you make a build and then inform you after if it works)? Or can anyone recommend me something?
OP. You should spring for the 'K' model and get any of the Z77 boards recommended.

All of the motherboards in the OP starting from the Enhanced build all the way to the Enthusiast build are good ones.

sixghost

I have another problem.

I trying to install Windows 8 OEM without an optical drive. I have the installation disc and the product code, but I don't know how to get the Windows 8 iso onto the flash drive. I tried booting up from the consumer preview and entering my code there, but it wouldn't take the code. Is there any way to rip the iso from the installation disc?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I have another problem.

I trying to install Windows 8 OEM without an optical drive. I have the installation disc and the product code, but I don't know how to get the Windows 8 iso onto the flash drive. I tried booting up from the consumer preview and entering my code there, but it wouldn't take the code. Is there any way to rip the iso from the installation disc?

There are multi boot loader usb programs that will do this for you.

Here is one:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

You may have to remove the usb drive just before it reboots the first time during installation.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
The machine is completely new, so there's no operating system at all at the moment. Would that still work?

Yes, that's the point of it. It's a multi installer bootable usb program.

You have to download it on a PC with an OS and configure it to import your Windows 8 ISO, then boot from the USB on the new computer. You may have to tell BIOS to boot USB before HDD in priority for it to show up.

And remember to remove the USB when it says "Windows will reboot and continue installation in 10 seconds" because if it's anything like Windows 7, the installer will error later on with the USB drive still connected.

That's just one I'm familiar with. If someone has better tools I'd be interested.

It will also install much faster if you have USB 2.0 and way faster if USB 3.0. MS should just ship the install on a USB 3.0 flash drive.

mkenyon

Banned
I have another problem.

Use MS's own tool: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

It works with 8.
So the Z77 Pro4 definitely supports the Sapphire card? It'd really suck to spend all of this cash and then not have the graphics card fit.

Edit: Actually, the MSI board's on sale for the same price. So, would that be better?
There aren't any MSI boards in the OP for a reason :p

*edit* Huh, Haz put the G43 in there. I'd ignore that.

sixghost

Use MS's own tool: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

It works with 8.

That was the program I used earlier to put the release preview ISO onto the flash drive, but it wouldn't take my 8 OEM product code. I just don't know how to find the proper windows 8 oem ISO. Would there even be a difference between that and the release preview iso?

mkenyon

Banned
That was the program I used earlier to put the release preview ISO onto the flash drive, but it wouldn't take my 8 OEM product code. I just don't know how to find the proper windows 8 oem ISO. Would there even be a difference between that and the release preview iso?
To be honest, I have no idea. Haven't touched windows 8 outside of playing with it and Server 2012 at a friend's place. Which is why I haven't touched it :p

jon_dojah

Banned
Did you already order the case? The Cooler Master store has 30% off everything right now.

IDE will not work, motherboards don't have IDE connectors anymore.

As far as fans go, that case actually has some pretty good ones. No real need to add any.

OP. You should spring for the 'K' model and get any of the Z77 boards recommended.

I looked on the cmstore and didnt see any deals for the trooper...was gonna pick it up tonite

It works with 8.

:(

*voltage selection for OC is shitty though imo*

I think the release preview ISO is different from the real one so it won't accept your OEM key.

...wait try this link

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=262204

IIRC it should download a official software that in turn will download a ISO version of Windows 8, but it will need to verify your key first. After it downloads an option should be there to place it on media/usb flash drive.

*Note this step is similar in doing that $40 digtal upgrade MS has but i'm hoping the stuff it downloads is basically the full windows 8 but unlocks a particular version based on the key.*

if it doesn't work you might have to borrow/buy a DVD drive to install it

RedSwirl

If I have like 15 image-filled tabs open in Chrome and the browser turns into a slideshow, does that mean I've run out of RAM?

Edit: Alongside iTunes in Cover Flow view?

Edit 2: And Photoshop CS2?

What's a new videocard that is about the same size or less than a nvidia 8600gt? Would like to replace the one in my computer, but case is super tight and this is an old computer with an athlon 4000+.

sixghost

Finished!

(huge ass image)
wJnsW.jpg

The cables are messy as hell but I'll call this a win. Thanks for all the help.

Lkr

i bought a 7850 that didn't include the far cry 3 coupon, but now newegg is selling it with one. do you think they'll send it to me if i call them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom