• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, just to know the difference of prices here (Brazil). How much, on average, would this rig cost?

• i5 IvyBridge 3570K
• GigaByte GA-H77-DS3H
• DDR3 8GB (2 X 4GB) - 1600MHZ - CML8GX3M2A1600C9B VENGEANCE - CORSAIR
• Seagate 1TB 7200 RPM
• Radeon HD 7970 Sapphire
• PSU: Corsair 650TX 650W

Here it would be around R$ 3,300 (US$ 1,586).

Ty4on

If I have like 15 image-filled tabs open in Chrome and the browser turns into a slideshow, does that mean I've run out of RAM?

Edit: Alongside iTunes in Cover Flow view?

Edit 2: And Photoshop CS2?

Ctrl alt del and check the RAM usage in task manager. Note that every chrome tab is its own task.

Zolf

Guys, just to know the difference of prices here (Brazil). How much, on average, would this rig cost?

• i5 IvyBridge 3570K
• GigaByte GA-H77-DS3H
• DDR3 8GB (2 X 4GB) - 1600MHZ - CML8GX3M2A1600C9B VENGEANCE - CORSAIR
• Seagate 1TB 7200 RPM
• Radeon HD 7970 Sapphire
• PSU: Corsair 650TX 650W

Here it would be around R$ 3,300 (US$ 1,586).

I added all that stuff to a Newegg (US) wishlist and the subtotal was $894.94, with an extra $30 off in rebates.

Breakdown:

• i5 IvyBridge 3570K $215
• GigaByte GA-H77-DS3H $100
• DDR3 8GB (2 X 4GB) $40
• Seagate 1TB 7200 RPM $70
• Radeon HD 7970 Sapphire $380 - $20 rebate
• PSU: Corsair 650TX 650W $90 - $10 rebate

RedSwirl

Ctrl alt del and check the RAM usage in task manager. Note that every chrome tab is its own task.

Yep. Total memory consumption was a 2.83/3GB. Guess more RAM might be a good Christmas investment after all. What's the best deal for say, 6GB? Or 8 or whatever.

Ty4on

32bit OS' can only use 4GB and they usually use less. My Win 32bit comp has 3.5 and my Ubuntu 32bit comp (for some reason) only has 2.9. Both have two 2GB sticks in them.
Actually I think I know where some of it is. GPU ram is also part of the RAM and I guess Ubuntu maybe also has to use swap (a disk partition created by Ubuntu for extra RAM).

sixghost

If you could, could you please list your build for me? I am building one myself and it seems I'm going for your specs.

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LE
CPU: i5 2500k
Heatsink: Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus
GPU: Sapphire 7870 ghz ed
ram: that Samsung low profile 2x4
PSU: Seasonic 550w G-Series
SSD: Crucial M4 64gb
HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200rpm (not in there yet)

Everything fit pretty well.

mkenyon

Banned
I looked on the cmstore and didnt see any deals for the trooper...was gonna pick it up tonite
Enter code STORMINGNASL in checkout.
why does everyone hate xfx now? didn't they used to be a top tier brand?
It's all about cooler capability now. XFX's offerings are sometimes worse than even reference design. I don't think they were ever really top tier, it was just that they had really good warranties.

Lkr

jeez, newegg's support isn't what it used to be. this is my issue:

newegg doesn't include the free far cry 3 coupon despite AMD posting about it on their site ages ago
they now include it
i have an unopened item, that is the same price that newegg still sells it for, but now includes the free game
they won't just send me the promo
i have to pay return shipping

when the fuck did they start doing this? a few years ago I could have simply chatted with them and they would have probably given it to me. now i have to pay return shipping to get it?! i guess i'm going to start ordering from amazon for this stuff now

I added all that stuff to a Newegg (US) wishlist and the subtotal was $894.94, with an extra $30 off in rebates.

Breakdown:

• i5 IvyBridge 3570K $215
• GigaByte GA-H77-DS3H $100
• DDR3 8GB (2 X 4GB) $40
• Seagate 1TB 7200 RPM $70
• Radeon HD 7970 Sapphire $380 - $20 rebate
• PSU: Corsair 650TX 650W $90 - $10 rebate

Jesus. :|

Basically, one can almost buy 2 rigs for the price we pay in one here. This is unacceptable.

newegg doesn't include the free far cry 3 coupon despite AMD posting about it on their site ages ago
they now include it
i have an unopened item, that is the same price that newegg still sells it for, but now includes the free game

when the fuck did they start doing this? a few years ago I could have simply chatted with them and they would have probably given it to me. now i have to pay return shipping to get it?! i guess i'm going to start ordering from amazon for this stuff now
When you ordered it from the product's page did it say "Free FarCry 3 with purchase?" I received my card today but they're sending the coupon separately.

they now include it

That's definitely bad customer service. Recently, I called for them to apply a promo code that I forgot, and they had allowed it.
It should be no different.

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LE
CPU: i5 2500k
Heatsink: Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus
GPU: Sapphire 7870 ghz ed
ram: that Samsung low profile 2x4
PSU: Seasonic 550w G-Series
SSD: Crucial M4 64gb
HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200rpm (not in there yet)

Everything fit pretty well.

Thank you! You did a nice job keeping your budget down, I should do the same for my first build...

Lkr

When you ordered it on from the product's page did it say "Free FarCry 3 with purchase?" I received my card today but they're sending the coupon separately.

i don't believe so, but the amd blog listed them as a partner and i just kinda assumed it would come with it. now that it is being advertised with the card, you think they could just send me the damn card so i don't have to return and reorder to get it

maybe their chat support is just bad. unfortunately they're not open on the weekends so i guess i'll call in. all i know is back in 08 i ordered something right before christmas, chatted with someone and asked why it hadn't shipped, and the guy gave me free overnight shipping :\

TheExodu5

Banned
My PC symptoms are weird as hell. If I constantly use it it's fine. If I leave for a few minutes and come back, my CPU usage is through the roof and as soon as I use my mouse I get a black screen for 1 second. Randomly losing power to my USB ports as well. I still figure it must be the power supply...but weird.

i don't believe so, but the amd blog listed them as a partner and i just kinda assumed it would come with it. now that it is being advertised with the card, you think they could just send me the damn card so i don't have to return and reorder to get it

maybe their chat support is just bad. unfortunately they're not open on the weekends so i guess i'll call in. all i know is back in 08 i ordered something right before christmas, chatted with someone and asked why it hadn't shipped, and the guy gave me free overnight shipping :\
Which card was it? It does seem a bit strange that it wasn't even a perk for buying it.

Lkr

Which card was it? It does seem a bit strange that it wasn't even a perk for buying it.

powercolor hd 7850. if i can't get them to do this, i'll probably return it(i think shoprunner offers free return shipping) and buy something from amazon if they are running the promo

oh i asked for a supervisor, and this happened:

Catherine: One moment please...
Catherine: Thank you for holding. I have checked with my supervisor. We would like to make one time exception and send you the GIFT AMD|2-IN-1 GAME COUPON. Please just confirm you current shipping address.

so either she is going to send me something bad to my address or asking for the supervisor gets shit done on an online chat lmao

How is the cyborg rat mouse? Also I currently have 8gb of ram? Would any more make a huge difference in gaming? I'm also thinking of replacing my noctua hear sink. Any suggestions? (would it be an easy switch or would I need to unscrew everything. Can remember how I installed it)

scogoth

How is the cyborg rat mouse? Also I currently have 8gb of ram? Would any more make a huge difference in gaming? I'm also thinking of replacing my noctua hear sink. Any suggestions? (would it be an easy switch or would I need to unscrew everything. Can remember how I installed it)

1) Friend had one, it didn't last long. Side buttons broke on it
2) No more RAM needed, no difference in gaming
3) Why? noctua makes really really nice stuff

statham

If I have a weaker cpu (phenom 1045t 2.7x6) what CPU hog can I turn down so I can use this for another year? and is there a better CPU I can drop into a am3/95TPD motherboard? right now I can play games with med/high with a OC 460gtx. I'm thinking of upgrading the GPU before cpu/motherboard.

1) Friend had one, it didn't last long. Side buttons broke on it
2) No more RAM needed, no difference in gaming
3) Why? noctua makes really really nice stuff

Thanks.
I'm happy with my noctua, but it takes up a lot of space. If i want more ram, I'm gonna need more space.
Its just some of my games seem to stutter slightly. Someone told me it could be ram issues.

I was running BF3 with 4GB and the game used to stutter in a few occasions; so a friend of mine lent me more 2GB and I tested... no stuttering.

Two quick questions, one of them admittedly dumb:

1. The card I'm looking at (a GIGABYTE GV-R795WF3-3GD Radeon HD 7950) doesn't have a VGA output for my old monitor. If Wikipedia is to be believed, should any cheap DVI-I to VGA converter work fine?

2. Are there any good Windows 8-compatible programs for multi-monitor support? I hear Windows 8 is rough for folks with multi-monitor setups, but I'm still looking for programs that are useful, primarily ones that make the transition between gaming on one and internet/application use on the other easier.​

Mordeccai

I haven't got my build yet but I did notice something and potentially have time to fix it before my newegg order ships.

I ordered the Biostar TZ77B mobo and bought the coolermaster hyper 212 plus for my cpu. Looking at sixghosts build and what appears to be a 212, the ram ports look pretty blocked. Now for RAM I bought Kingston HyperX Blu Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 , is there enough clearance to install these?

:x

If not, the order is still packaging at newegg, and I could get the low clearance samsung ram I've seen pimped in here.

mkenyon

Banned
If I have a weaker cpu (phenom 1045t 2.7x6) what CPU hog can I turn down so I can use this for another year? and is there a better CPU I can drop into a am3/95TPD motherboard? right now I can play games with med/high with a OC 460gtx. I'm thinking of upgrading the GPU before cpu/motherboard.
OC the CPU until you can afford a CPU/mobo upgrade. Get a new GPU in the mean time.
I haven't got my build yet but I did notice something and potentially have time to fix it before my newegg order ships.

I ordered the Biostar TZ77B mobo and bought the coolermaster hyper 212 plus for my cpu. Looking at sixghosts build and what appears to be a 212, the ram ports look pretty blocked. Now for RAM I bought Kingston HyperX Blu Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 , is there enough clearance to install these?

:x

If not, the order is still packaging at newegg, and I could get the low clearance samsung ram I've seen pimped in here.
It'll fit underneath it, which is why we recommend low profile RAM in the OP. You'll be golden.

*edit* That's 1.65V RAM which can cause some headaches actually. I'd cancel the order and get some 1.5V/1.35V RAM that we name in the OP.

I need a question answered. If I'm unable to get the 3570k from MicroCenter in case their deal dies since they're out of stock atm, is an i5 3470 a good alternative?

DTKT

Two quick questions, one of them admittedly dumb:

1. The card I'm looking at (a GIGABYTE GV-R795WF3-3GD Radeon HD 7950) doesn't have a VGA output for my old monitor. If Wikipedia is to be believed, should any cheap DVI-I to VGA converter work fine?

2. Are there any good Windows 8-compatible programs for multi-monitor support? I hear Windows 8 is rough for folks with multi-monitor setups, but I'm still looking for programs that are useful, primarily ones that make the transition between gaming on one and internet/application use on the other easier.​

DVI-I to VGA is fine with any good'ol adapter. What doesn't work is DVI-D to VGA because DVI-D doesn't push an analog signal. My 670 has both a DVI and a DVID so I can still use one my old Dell monitor.

Just something to watch out for the future.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
What's your definition of cheap? If you want a new CPU either way, you're going to have to also buy a new motherboard... And possibly RAM.

Well, if we stretch it, 100-150 euro price range for the CPU I guess.

Say I go for ivy/sandy, and get faster ram, would a 550w PSU even cut it? I'm way out of touch with PC hardware these days.

DVI-I to VGA is fine with any good'ol adapter. What doesn't work is DVI-D to VGA because DVI-D doesn't push an analog signal. My 670 has both a DVI and a DVID so I can still use one my old Dell monitor.

Just something to watch out for the future.

Thanks!

Mordeccai

It'll fit underneath it, which is why we recommend low profile RAM in the OP. You'll be golden.

*edit* That's 1.65V RAM which can cause some headaches actually. I'd cancel the order and get some 1.5V/1.35V RAM that we name in the OP.

Yeah, i noticed that it wasn't 1.5 and thought about that too, but I was able to get it with a 10$ off promo which put it at 30 bucks. The order is bundled with a HAF 912 case that I got for 50$ with a promo as well, so cancelling and reordering those parts would run me at least 20 bucks extra. Is 1.65 enough of a pain to warrant the tradeoff?

Push comes to shove I can leave the ram unopened, return it to newegg for a refund (hopefully?) and in the meantime order some different ram tonight.

sixghost

Thank you! You did a nice job keeping your budget down, I should do the same for my first build...
I think it ended up around $720 not including Windows or the monitor. I got really good deals on the CPU and GPU though.

That's a nice look case. What does the front side of it look like? USB3 on it?

1xUSB3, 2xUSB2 and headphone/mic jacks on the front.

here's the newegg page
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352007&Tpk=fractal%20arc%20midi

Xanathus

Hi guys, I've decided it's time to update my rig. I'm going to get a new motherboard, processor, GPU, RAM, power supply, casing while salvaging the rest from my existing desktop. I'm just gonna get a local shop to do the purchasing and assembly it for me so I only need advice on what processor and GPU I should get. For the processor I'm thinking of an i5 3470k or 3570k and for the GPU a Radeon HD 7950 but I'm not sure if these are adequate for what I want to play.

Here's my requirements:
  • Basic Desktop Questions:
  • Your Current Specs: Core 2 Duo / 4GiB RAM (DDR2) / MSI-7380 / ATI 5770 / PSU (no idea)
  • Budget: ~USD 650+, Malaysia but I'll figure out the prices on my own
  • Main Use: Gaming (5), Emulation (PS2/Wii) (4)
  • Monitor Resolution: 1680 * 1050, not upgrading
  • List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: 60 FPS, Skyrim with ENB mods, newer games like Far Cry 3 at "high" settings, "ultra" settings isn't a must
  • Looking to reuse any parts?: Re-using HDD, and peripherals like monitor and mouse and stuff
  • When will you build?: Within a month or two
  • Will you be overclocking?: No

Rainy Dog

I finally took the jump back to PC gaming this weekend after being away since HL2.

Upgraded to a 3770k a few months ago solely just for x264 encoding my blu-ray and DVD catalogue, yet that's cut down encoding times so drastically that these past couple of months I've barely been getting a few hours a week out of it, not to mention buying less and less new films. So I've been running a 3770k equipped PC just for daily net browsing really....obviously a bit of a waste.

So yesterday I treated myself to ordering a 7850 that comes with Far Cry 3 and simply cannot wait for it to arrive now. Already bought the Jet Set Radio deal from GMG, BF3 premium all-in edition for £22, Zelda: SS for £10 and downloaded Black Mesa in anticipation.

I think it's the price of games, Dolphin, Steam plus digital distribution in general, that excites me as much as anything else. But the performance of FC3 and AC3 on consoles has definitely also helped finally pushed me over the edge. I can settle for 720p, just not sub 30 or even 25fps anymore.

So, yeah... I'm excitied about gaming again!

I've got a Logitech K200 keyboard. It's fine for typing and being used as a keyboard, so that's great, but I have one issue...

iqOVd0EWcU6Vv.jpg

This useless key between the right ALT and CTRL keys. It seems to bring up the right click menu in the corner of the screen if I push it while I'm at the desktop... Very useful.

Is there a way for me to rebind it's function to say, a second Windows key or something?

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Right, decided to move ahead with the build Kharma put together for me. However, under his recommendation I'm re-posting the build to see if anyone else could make any small changes etc. I'm stretching my budget a bit as it is so try not to add too much money (if needed)!

CPU - 3570K

8GB Corsair Low Profile RAM

AMD 7950 GPU plus 4 games

Hyper 212 CPU cooler

Bitfenix Shinobi case

ASUS Z77 mobo

1TB HDD (could cut costs here with a 500GB one)

XFX 550w PSU

Pachimari

Guys, I have quit the thought of buying an iMac 27" and instead I have found my desktop from 2008 and installed Windows Vista on it. Anyway, these are the specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro P
DDR3 1066MHz 1024MB PC3-8500 (x4)
Asus P5E3
Samsung 1TB Spinpoint SataII/3
Inno3D GeForce 9600GT I-CHILL
Asus DVD-Burner 20x Sata BLAC
Antec Solo Quiet Mini Tower
Northq 500watt fanless 0DB PSU

As the harddrive is dying I am looking to replace it with a 1TB 2.5" internal HDD. Then I got the thought of upgrading this desktop instead of buying a whole new iMac 27". I just got myself a 24" Acer screen, so I run VGA->HDMI cable I think. My plan is to buy single pieces throughout 2013 as I don't have a specific budget right now but it shouldn't be too expensive.

Having never build a PC before, my question is, what should I start with? Where should I start? I'll use it for setting up databases, programming websites in Dreamweaver, editing photos in Photoshop and I would like to play the latest games, probably with Nvidia 3D at some point.

It doesn't even have a WiFi card built in, so I have just inserted a Netgear WiFi dongle to connect with my WiFi network but I plan to also add a WiFi card inside. I would assume I can just keep my tower and then upgrade the things inside? And what should I look at overall? Sound card? Motherboard? Graphics card? I would also like it to run HDMI>HDMI.

It don't have to be the ultimate gaming machine, just better than what I got and capable of running the latest PC games (shooters, action, strategy etc.)

My Shopping List so far:
Seagate 1TB S-ATA
  • 1TB Hard Drive
  • 7200 RPM
  • 16MB buffer
  • 3.5" internal hard drive
  • S-ATA
  • Silent

Ledsen

Guys, I have quit the thought of buying an iMac 27" and instead I have found my desktop from 2008 and installed Windows Vista on it. Anyway, these are the specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro P
DDR3 1066MHz 1024MB PC3-8500 (x4)
Asus P5E3
Samsung 1TB Spinpoint SataII/3
Inno3D GeForce 9600GT I-CHILL
Asus DVD-Burner 20x Sata BLAC
Antec Solo Quiet Mini Tower
Northq 500watt fanless 0DB PSU

As the harddrive is dying I am looking to replace it with a 1TB 2.5" internal HDD. Then I got the thought of upgrading this desktop instead of buying a whole new iMac 27". I just got myself a 24" Acer screen, so I run VGA->HDMI cable I think. My plan is to buy single pieces throughout 2013 as I don't have a specific budget right now but it shouldn't be too expensive.

Having never build a PC before, my question is, what should I start with? Where should I start? I'll use it for setting up databases, programming websites in Dreamweaver, editing photos in Photoshop and I would like to play the latest games, probably with Nvidia 3D at some point.

It doesn't even have a WiFi card built in, so I have just inserted a Netgear WiFi dongle to connect with my WiFi network but I plan to also add a WiFi card inside. I would assume I can just keep my tower and then upgrade the things inside? And what should I look at overall? Sound card? Motherboard? Graphics card? I would also like it to run HDMI>HDMI.

It don't have to be the ultimate gaming machine, just better than what I got and capable of running the latest PC games (shooters, action, strategy etc.)

My Shopping List so far:
Seagate 1TB S-ATA
  • 1TB Hard Drive
  • 7200 RPM
  • 16MB buffer
  • 3.5" internal hard drive
  • S-ATA
  • Silent

I'd say upgrading that build is pointless and kind of a waste. You need a new motherboard and processor, and at that point you're basically starting from scratch and keeping a few bits here and there. I don't know anything that case but you could possible keep that and the PSU if it's quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom